Random Image

100_0045.JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:26:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsGal

Oh, happy day! My insurance adjuster called yesterday to say the second half of my claim check is on its way, and by the way, the insurance also covers grading and reseeding. SO! Got a guy coming out this morning to give me an estimate on that bit. No muddy mess, or less of it, over the winter. I doubt the grass will grow this late in the season. I will probably throw some of my clover seed into the area as well, just in case we don't have a really cold winter.

Jim's surgery went well. Sue will be back over to the hospital to pick him up sometime before noon (or whenever the doctor actually shows up to okay his release.

Not much else to report today. Have a good one everyone.

Marilyne

MarsGal - Good to hear that Jim's surgery is over, and was successful.   Now he will have to recuperate quickly, to be ready for Thanksgiving!   I remember that Sue, is planning to host the holiday dinner!
I think you mentioned way back that Jim needed a stint or valve replacement?   I remember a couple of years ago, when Mick Jagger cancelled a concert and had emergency heart surgery.  A couple of nights later, he was back on stage doing his heart-pumping crazy dancing.  He's still alive and still performing, so it was obviously a success!

Callie - It's a hamburger or hotdog bun, and a dinner roll, in this family.  However, when we first got married, I remember AJ, called dinner rolls BUNS.  He was born in Minnesota, and his Dad was too.  His Mom was born and raised in North Dakota.  So I think in that part of the country, it was the reverse of here.  In California, the evening meal has always been called dinner, but on the East Coast, and Midwest I think it's still called supper?  "Nuked" and "Ordered out", are my two favorite methods of "fixing" dinner in recent years, so sorry they are not an option.  :smiley6600:  ::)  (Some of those Stouffer's meals are good!)
Like Beverly said -  sometimes I make dinner, and sometimes I fix it?

Beverly- I'm enjoying those adorable photos of the twins, and hope you keep posting them.  It looks like they still have monitors and other tubes, so hoping then will soon be strong enough to not need them anymore, and can finally go home. 
I remember that Mary Ann Tock, also used the word "hamburg" for what we call a hamburger.  It must be a Michigan thing, because I don't remember ever hearing it before that?   
Good to see that you're feeling better. I hope it continues for you, and that you might be able to see little Beverly and James, sometime over the Holidays? 

Hello to Jackie and Joanne!   I would write more, but time for me to get dressed and start the day.  It's already a little after 9:00 AM here, and
I need to get something done in this house, before another weekend arrives!

Denver

A good Friday Morning HELLO! Today is SIX weeks from my surgery day......the day I can take off my sling😻😻  I have PT this afternoon and
I go to see my surgeon on Monday👍

Unfortunately, as I logged in, it took me to the page where you have that yellow part on the post that says you have to  hit SAVE or POST again........meaning Idid not do it so my post is long gone😩😪🤬. I bet this very reason is why so many of us loose our post.....we do not see this....thinking we posted🤬

MARILYN, I KNOW I posted HAPPY 65th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY WISHES to you and AJ💕. I can only imagine all the memories of that day.....we were overwhelmed with memories and emotions on our 54th💕. Where do all the years go?  We are blessed to have them🙏

Unfortunately, I do not know what else I posted but my post did post on the Soda Shop.

I can not yet reveal my news, however I will have the OK to do it soon.  IF we did not have to worry about LURKERS
I would do it right now.....but we do! 

Our time with family was wonderful....of course the time flew by MUCH too quickly😩😘.

Our youngest son just called and he is coming over to help us get some things done, so I have to get dressed.

Have a good day, or sleep, in JACKIES case!

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny... ha ha, not in bed sleeping, time here in UK is 5.50 pm, i am posting just 30 minutes after your post...but you are right, i have been nodding on and off in front of my computer...

... now could your dad be moving closer to you...or perhaps you and Bob have your eye on a new home..." your son is coming to help get things done, " is that a clue...the mystery continues... ;)

Marilyne...
...sending a wave.....I think Mick Jagger might outlive all of us, he is still touring at 78... some people just dont age do they...no sign of slowing down..
" There is no present like the time "

Beverly

MarsGal - Great news about your insurance company paying for the landscaping mess. I think they sometimes plant rye grass when winter is on its way. It keeps the dirt/mud from shifting.

Jenny - What a relief to be able to remove the sling. Hope the PT continues to help.

Marilyne - I guess I say supper most of the time, but if we're eating out I say dinner. Whatever seems to fit the occasion.  :) 

After 8 long weeks in the hospital my granddaughter and the twins went home today. Now to begin life as a family. Brynn is so happy.

Jackie - I often find myself nodding in front of the computer!

Tomereader1

Today was my yearly physical!  Had the Health Assessment and Labs done Monday. The doc showed me the lab results, and as she ticked them off, she said "perfect".  I do have to up my Vitamin D3, as it was the only thing less than perfect.  I said "so I'm 82 with the labs of a 40 year old!"  She said you got it.  Keep doing what you're doing. When the PA came in with my check out papers, she said "well, that's it, you can go now".  I told her, yep, I've been poked, prodded, stuck (got my flu shot) and electrified (EKG), so I think I need to go now!  I had made a list of items to discuss with the doctor, and she covered all of them with me, and even an off-the-wall medical physiology type thing, which she explained and made me more comfortable since I know how some of the old body works with other parts.

She asked which of the vaccines I had gotten (Moderna) and she said you won the lottery on that one.  Medical folk are going to meeting next week (month?) to decide how much of (if any) booster shot will be needed. She's thinking I won't need one!

I was so happy with all this info, that I nearly levitated off the exam table!  :woohoo: :woohoo:   

FlaJean

Where does the time go.  Congratulations Marilyne.  Larry and I celebrated our 65th anniversary Aug. 25th
I also had problems raising my left arm several years ago and had 6 weeks of therapy and exercises.  Luckily I haven't had any more problems but the doctor did say not to lift anything past my shoulder.

There were some long posts which I enjoyed, I'm just not good at communicating.  I'm the one who always listens and I have a husband, two daughters and a son who always have plenty to say.  :thumbup:

This has been a very quiet neighborhood and last night our new neighbors had their second party this month.  I shocked my husband last night by yelling at them at 1:30 am to quiet down.  I've never done anything like that in my life.  Anyway it worked and they finally turned off the music and went into the house.  So tonight I'm sleepy and off to bed in my usual quiet way.  :)

Will try to post more often.

Vanilla-Jackie

Beverly..what a relief to be going home after two months in that maternity hospital..

Tomereader..so you should be with your age of 82 and your health of a 40 year old...you are obviously doing something right..

FlaJean..you done right, UK has a curfew on noise after 11.pm..

Marilyne

Jean - So nice to see your message this morning, and hope we hear from you again soon.   I remember now, that AJ and I were married the same year as you and Larry.  :thumbup:   Lots of changes in our world since then!  Good for you, speaking up to your noisy neighbors.   Like Jackie, we also have a noise curfew here in our town.  I think it's 10:00 PM, but could be 11:00?   It's so quiet here in my neighborhood, that I can't imagine it ever having to be enforced?

Joanne - Wow, you deserve to be proud of yourself.  It's seldom that any of us over the age of 80, can visit a doctor without them finding something wrong . . . and then prescribe a new medication for us!  Do you take blood pressure meds, or are you one of those fortunate folks, who is blessed with normal to low BP?   

Beverly - Good to hear that Brynn and the twins are now at home!   All new mothers are busy, but she will be double busy for a long time.  I hope she has someone to help her these first two or three months?  I'm sure that Lauri, will be there as much as she possibly can be.   

Jenny - you sound very happy, and relieved, to have finally passed the six week date, since your surgery.  Now you can do the water therapy, and begin to get out and about like before!   I'm also wondering about your news?!!?  I have two completely separate ideas, both good, so we shall see if either of them is the right one.   :-\     One question I have . . . which of your sons is the youngest?   I think the son in Boston is the oldest, Dr. Dave is #2, so that leaves  Mark in Arkansas, and I think Brian is your son who moved to San Francisco?

Callie - Today is college football day, so I'm sure you probably have a few games recorded, as do we.  We also watch an OSU game, but it's a different one.  Oregon State University . . . Alma Mater of our Grandson Jake.   
A couple of days ago, I responded to your query about, "buns vs.rolls" and "fix or make" dinner.   There are a couple to others that I want to ask you about, which I plan to do in my next post!   This one is already way too long!   

MarsGal

Good morning all! I hope everyone is doing well.

It is damp, a bit drizzily actually, and cool here this morning.

For those who are still semi-following the Great Lakes freighters, I caught Anglican Lady out of Soo Sault Marie towing Mississagi out of Sarnia yesterday. I was wondering why Anglican Lady was in Sarnia the other day, because she rarely goes far from SSM. A little checking and I found that Mississagi is being scrapped. No wonder she has been sitting at the Sarnia dock for so long.

An odd thing happened Friday afternoon. When the guy came out to give me an estimate on grading, topsoiling, and seeding the dug up area, I discovered an unopened package sitting in the middle of my backyard. It was addressed to my neighbor. I left it there so she could see for herself the package she was expecting. Since my backyard is not easily accessible from the alleyway at the moment, and I saw no signs of footprints in the only spot that anyone could have gotten up without heaving themselves over the retaining wall, I came to the conclusion that whoever it was used my yard stole the package off her porch and made a get-away through my yard. Why whoever it was left the package is beyond me. Spooked off maybe? Discovered they would have a five foot drop to the alley? Well, they would have had a wasted effort anyway. The package was full of Cockatiel seed. Sounds like another reason to install an outdoor security camera to me. Still mulling that over.

Sometime today I must get the porch cleared off for the painter to come by tomorrow and power wash it in prep to paint it. The actual painting will probably be done later this week. Also, I need to go take some pix of my messed up yard for my insurance adjuster. Other than that, I have nothing interesting to report.

Denver

A good Sunday HELLO to ALL.

We got to be with Dr. Dave and Family yesterday as well as youngest son and DIL.  It was wonderful to catch up with the kiddos as we have not seen them for three weeks as they have all been so busy.

I am enjoying my arm to be hanging so much!  It sure helps with my balance!  I see the surgeon tomorrow and hope all is well and I won't have to see him for 5 months! 

MARILYN, I am feeling mighty happy......feeling better and SO HAPPY to be moving on without that sling.  I am sorry I said anything before I was able to tell....but "lurkers " are among us, so I must keep my lips sealed! You are 100% correct on the order of my sons! 

I just want to say it is GREAT news and we are so happy. 

BEVERLY, so pleased mama and the twins are home and doing well.  No way should you apologize for wanting to share everything about them with us.  We love it!

JEAN, I just do not understand neighbors not being respectful of each other.  I am sorry you had to yell for them to quiet down!  I hope it worked and they did!

Hoping  you ALL ARE  having a good day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

junee

Hi to Bait and Tackle.  I don't seem to have the skills I used to have on the computer, but is a wet day here and I was looking to  get an order for a care package to my son, and Beverley I found your message for my 99th birthday.  Thank you for your thoughts. It was a very quiet day as we were in a strict lockdown in this Aged Care.  It paid off as no one yet has been ill.
I have to tell you, that I often go to your photos and enjoy memories of my three trips to  your country and the interesting people I met at some of the bashes.
Sorry you have not been well and so many people I met are no longer with us.
I have a great collection of photos taken from my many trips from New Orleans in the South to Machinau Island in the North and into Canada.   
I arrived 1 week before 9/11 and will never forget the horror we all witnessed that day but to me also the flags that appeared from then on to show love of country. I do read B & T and news of folk .  Thoughts to Marsgirl as knew her in 'friends & learn' (maybe a different name)
Greetings to Maryz always think of her as one of the bravest. Whimsy was a wonderful person,hostess and driver. We did many miles and spoke to her over phone the day before she left us.  Do not go on like this usually but you set me off this morning when I saw your note.  Hope ALL the family are well and just hope the world can beat this virus. Hope the flags fly again soon.  With thanks to you for your thoughts and greetings to S and F,   Junee.   Miss my birds since coming here but remember taking that photograph of the KingParrot with my new camera, years ago. 

Denver

JUNEE, how wonderful to see this nice post from you.  Very happy to read that your home care lockdown paid off and no one contracted this horrible virus.  We loved remembering you on your 99th Birthday. 

It was 20 years yesterday that we all gathered in Pennsylvania for the wonderful bash.  It was such a sad time for America, but I always remember and rejoice in the show of patriotism that we had back then.  We all were so proud to show we wanted to be one and push through this awful time. 

Sadly, so many of our dear senior-netters are no longer with us.  Many from passing on but some that just did not manage to survive the new Senior and friends site😩 They are sincerely missed and we often speak of many of them🥰. As you probably noticed we are no way the large group we used to be. 

I hope you will continue to come in and post when you can.  This post of yours today is going to be a very nice surprise for many friends to follow. 

Jenny aka Denver Darling

🦋 Jenny

junee

Denver Darling, thought of you often and the sadness your family have endured.  Do hope that arm is back to normal very soon and that your news is good.  Thank goodness I took computer lessons at aged 78 as  nbeing in Aged care, it is where my friends live.  One problem about being this age is that at times I have been left to turn off the lights.  Have a GGD who I follow with interest.  She has the ability to throw three pointers in basket 🏀 but does balance with school
Work. Take care  Junee

Marilyne

I was planning to wait until morning to post, but so happy to see Junee and Jenny, here,  that I decided to say hello tonight, instead of waiting. 

Junee - so glad you made your way back here to Bait & Tackle!  Not nearly as many members posting here as in the past, but those of us who are left, are still enjoying coming in everyday to say "Hello", and see what's going on. I always enjoy hearing about your trips around the USA, with Whimsey, when you visited here with her.  Please don't forget us - we'll be looking forward to hearing from you again!

Jenny - We're all  anticipating your good news, and hope you will soon be able to tell us all about it!  Until then, we understand that your lips are sealed!  :-X   So I'll just try to be patient!    :thinking:

Vanilla-Jackie

Junee...what a wonderful surprise seeing a post from you ( Jackie from UK )  :)

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...i think you have found a new home, and will soon be on the move...or your father is moving...closer to home...not sure which one i will go with...think i have said this already...

Marilyne...
...patience is not my virtue but like the rest of us, i will try...but i have got my thinking cap on...

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

Junee!!!!!  :cheer:  :jump: to see you!!!  Please come back often.

Jenny, can't believe it's been 20 years since the PA Bash - or that we had had another round of severe storms move through at the same time back then.  Helona and I were at the OKC airport waiting to board our flight for the Bash when all flights were delayed for several hours because of an incoming storm.  The storm's path was the same as our flight would have taken and routes for other flights would have gotten us there about half-way through the Bash.  So we reluctantly decided to stay home - and often talked about all the fun we missed.

Marilyne,  in the "olden days"  ;) we might have two games showing on side by side tvs and muted with a 3rd one playing on the radio.  However, these days, I only watch OU and Oklahoma State live - and then don't always stick with the entire game.
On Saturday, I was so horrified with OU's playing that I turned it off at the end of the first quarter. Decided to check in later and am so glad I did.  That was an amazing comeback and will "go down in the history" of the TX/OU competition.

Will look forward to your comments on different ways of saying things.

Off to find something useful to do.
Enjoy your day, Everyfriend.

Shirley

Quick note to Junee... always nice to hear from someone that's been absent for a while. Glad you are still enjoying life and I will miss your birds with you. How I envied you all those big, beautiful birds and the hopping from one country to another. Cheers to you from the old "Tisie" in Kansas, from Senior Net days.

Hi to all in here, I lurk but don't post all the time. Taking care of cats & a house so busy all the time. Takes a lot longer to do everything than it did a few years ago. A cracked rib adds to the misery & slows down the bending & moving, but still here.

Beverly

Junee - I'm so glad you found my message! I enjoyed reading your post and hope you'll return. I've been doing some reminiscing and going through my Bash pictures. So many memories! Mary de Boer and I had become cyber friends years before so I was thrilled when she and John came to the states and we were able to meet in person at the Williamstown, PA bash.

We had a nice surprise this morning. Chape's youngest sister and her husband, who live near Port Charlotte, came for a visit. We had a lot of catching up to do.  :) She also has twin great-grands. They're the girls I posted pictures of a year or two ago.

Good night all.

FlaJean

I made it here in time to say goodnight!

I never made it to any of the bashes, but have enjoyed hearing about them from time to time.   Junee, it was sure nice to see your post.

Jenny, so glad to know you are recovering so well.

I dozed off while reading so think I will go to bed.  Night all.

Vanilla-Jackie

Just a note...Rammel - Rick may not be posting for a while,  :( please hold him in your thoughts and prayers..

Marilyne

I left a note on Junee's Facebook, letting her know that many of her old friends have posted messages to her, here in B&T.  It would be great if she comes back and joins us on a regular basis.  She doesn't post much in FB, but eventually she responds to any messages.

Nothing new happening here in,  The Land of Fire and Drought.  (That sounds like a good title for a science fiction novel!)   We're still battling the endless wildfires, and now having to contend with the strong  N/E winds  that arrive every Fall, leaving lots of destruction in their wake, and sparking new fires.

I would like to get out today and take a walk, or just sit on a bench in the park and watch the children playing, but it's just too windy to enjoy any outdoor activity.  So I'll stay in, and wait for better days ahead.

I'm sending prayers for all those here in S&F who are having health problems, and others who are dealing with any type of sadness or worry. 

Denver

Good evening!  Cool evening here with some rain and low temperatures the next couple of days! Maybe even some of that white stuff!

JACKIE, I liked your guess that my dad might be movng here, but not at this time. We may be making a move at some point, but not right now!  Sorry to read your news about RICK.  Holding positive thoughts and saying prayers for him.  Thank you for letting us know. 

I had my 6 week check at the surgeon yesterday and he was pleased.  The X-ray showed everything was in place.  Will see him again in 6 more weeks.  Now the tougher physical therapy will begin.....I have a lot of strength to be built in this left arm!

JEAN, I am sorry you never got to any of the Bashes.  They were fun and it was wonderful to meet our friends in person!  I just wish we could have had more before we lost so many after a Senior Net dumped us.

MARILYN, we also had high winds and cool temperatures today.  We planned to get out and do some errands, but decided to stay in.  You are right my lips are sealed, or should be, but I am about to burst at the seams holding this exciting news in👍

BEVERLY, how nice to have a surprise visit with Chapes sister and hubby.  Wonder how many times the word TWINS was said? 😘

OK, I still can not tell ALL, yet, but I will say that a son and his family are going to be  moving to Colorado !  YEA!   We are thrilled to death.  As many already know, our youngest just moved out of CO!  WE have had this happen once or twice before!   In addition, while we were with them we were told the wonderful news that a new little one is on the way.  So those of you who guessed these two thoughts are the WINNERS‼️

Peasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

Beverly

Jackie - Thanks for letting us know that Rammel is having problems. I'm sending prayers his way!

Marilyne - Hoping your Facebook post to Junee will keep her in touch with us.

Jenny - Congratulations on both counts! I suspected there was a new baby in the picture.  ;)

Jean - The big SN bashes were organized by individual SN members and took a year of planning and organizing. They lasted two or three days and involved hotel reservations, tours and a banquet. I admire all of those who undertook such an operation! We have the memories of those bashes in all the photos that were shared.

I had an appointment with my pulmonologist today and got a referral for my 6 month CT Scan.

Good night all.

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...i know you are most happiest when all four sons are living back closer to you and Bob, and another baby is on its way, double good news...

FlaJean

Another pretty day but not feeling like fall yet.  Need to go to the grocery store after awhile.

Jenny, after going through so much with your arm and shoulder, you deserve the good news you have been hearing lately.

Beverly, I hope you will be hearing good news regarding your referral.  Hope you are feeling better.

Jackie, I'll be saying a prayer for Rick.  We seniors can use plenty of prayers.

Marilyne, Our favorite time to walk is in the evenings.  When we lived in Maryland, my favorite month was October.  We always walked in the evenings when it was just cool enough for a jacket.  The air always felt so fresh and invigorating in the Autumn months of Sept and Oct., especially after the hot and muggy months of July and August.

Patricia, has the work been completed on your building.  We are still having 80° afternoons here, but I imagine your weather is really cooling down now and the days getting dark earlier.

Not much to post.  One day sliding into the next too quickly.  Have a good day everyone.

Tomereader1

Not too much to post here, about the Fall Season.  I guess it will get here eventually. Right now the trees are still all green, the neighbor's cottonwood has lost some brown leaves.  I only have one tree and it is slightly shedding, but mostly still green.  The forecasters are saying rain for the next several days, but the daytime temps next week supposed to be in the upper 60's, with nightime temps perhaps in upper 40s to 50's.  I will love the cooler weather, if and when it does arrive!  Looking to turn that A/C off, and save on the electric bill!

My thoughts and prayers for JaneS and Rammel and all others with health issues. Also with MaryPage.

Marilyne

Good afternoon everyone!  This morning we went to Safeway, and got our yearly Flu shots.  I was thinking seriously about skipping it this year, because there were almost zero cases of flu last year.   However, we decided to get the shot, regardless, because it was the  prudent choice at our age.

Safeway was uncrowded, for a change, so after we left the pharmacy, we shopped for lots of staple items, as well as a few goodies from the bakery.  So that's enough exercise for me for one day.  This afternoon, I plan to sit and read, or find a movie to watch on my DVR.  I have about 30 movies recorded, so will have plenty of choice. 

Jean -  Glad to see you back today, and hope that you make it one of your daily stops.  I see you posted in Library Bookshelf, also.  I plan to look in there after I finish this message, and respond to you and MarsGal.

Jenny -  I'm looking forward to learning all the facts, about your Good News!  So glad it's something that will make you and the rest of your family very happy.  You need something good and positive to focus on, and looks like this will be it!   

Callie -  I was watching a talk show years ago, and they were discussing regional names for things like dinner/supper, buns/rolls, etc.  One of women said that in Georgia, they use the word  "wrap", for what we call a "coat".  She went on to explain that "Coat", is where you go for a trial, where a judge presides".     
Okay . . . so it was funny when I saw it live, but somehow, doesn't come off well in writing.  ::)  :-[  ::)  One of those things where you had to be there! :2funny:

Tomereader1