Random Image

October

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Good morning to Sandy, Jean and Marsgal:   I agree with you on the various seasons across the USA.  Usually you miss the weather that you grew up with.  I was born in Los Angeles, so I spent my school years in Southern California.  Back then, in the 40's and 50's, girls wore cotton dresses to school year 'round.  Shoes were tie oxfords or loafers, with bobby socks.  In the Winter we wore  cardigan sweater or a corduroy jacket in the morning.  We considered it cold on Winter mornings, but probably was only around 60 degrees!  It always warmed up into the low 70's, by lunch time.  Much colder Winters up here in Northern Cal, but nothing like what you have in the East and Midwest.  No snow, unless you go up into the mountains.

MarsGal -  "Angle of Repose", sounds good to me too.  I checked the library, and they have it on hold for me, so I hope to get over there this afternoon.   :thumbup:

Jean -  Interesting that you and Larry like to read in the evenings, rather than watch TV.  AJ and I usually read in the afternoon, until 5:00, which is my time to start fixing dinner, and watching the local news - followed by the National.  After dinner, we watch specific television shows that we like - especially series shows on Netflix, Prime, or HBO.    On Netflix we are finishing the final season of "Manifest".  Before that it was "Peaky Blinders".  I really liked that show, although it did have a lot of violence.    On HBO, we just started season #3 of "Succession".      If you have a chance to watch it, I highly recommend it!!  A good drama, with superb acting, and NO VIOLENCE! 

Oh, how could I forget the various sports that we watch!  Last night was Sharks Hockey, which I enjoy.  Football season is in full swing, and AJ loves it . . . especially the college games.    A little bit of football goes a long way with me!  I don't have the patience for all the time-outs, penalties, etc. 

Hope we hear from Callie and Jackie today?

Vanilla-Jackie

Just back from a bible home discussion group and enjoyed myself, been interesting and fun, same home it was held in as last month..they have a large house and driveway to accommodate our small group of 6 to 8 and cars...now drinking a cup of tea at 9.30 pm before i go to bed...
" There is no present like the time "

Vanilla-Jackie

Duplicated...not long back from my morning church games - tea and prayer then into the adjoining hall for our lunch...what a fantastic time i had at our table and with the people who sat with us... A very enjoyable meal and great company as we reminisced about things we remembered...i relayed a story about the life of my time working in the betting office, and someone remarked on the good memory i have after i even remembered the name of the horse and the name of its trainer...and this was a story of a punter from 45 years back..

CallieOK

Good Morning,
Nothing to report from my corner of the world.  All of the activities I used to participate in have either stopped or started "meeting" on Zoom.  I just don't handle that method well at all!

Have also discovered that, with my hearing loss, I can't understand anyone who is talking through a mask - especially with "social distancing" -  even if I'm wearing my hearing aids. Groups are confusing.
Audiologist said quite a few of her patients have the same problem with masks and the group confusion is due to my having "sensitive ears".  ::)  Guess that's one of those things  - as the old saying goes - "what can't be cured must be endured".

Did have a good in-person conversation with a neighbor yesterday. She brought over some of my mail that had gotten into her mailbox and came in to visit for over an hour.  That was nice!

Onward and Upward.  Enjoy your day, Everyfriend.

Vanilla-Jackie

Got my call-up to book my covid 6 monthly booster number 3...booked and booked my disabled transport to get me there next week, the choices of days and times online were going quick...

Marilyne

Last night we had a visitor in the middle of the night . . . a welcome visitor that we hadn't seen in over six months!   RAIN!!    :happydance:  :clap:    Less than half an inch, but we'll take whatever we can get!   Supposed to be more on Friday night, so maybe there will be a dent in the drought. :yes:

Jackie -  Glad you Covid booster shot is coming up next week.  AJ got his a couple of weeks ago at the VA, but I'm on a different schedule, so I won't get mine for a while yet.  Also nice that you had a good time at your church activities and luncheon today.   It makes the day pass smoothly when we have something to do that's fun and satisfying.   

Callie -  I'm in agreement with you on the Zoom meetings.  I've only done a couple of family gatherings, but I didn't feel at all comfortable.  I mostly just sat here and smiled and nodded, while everyone else  talked.   I also have the same problem, trying to hear or understand someone talking through a mask.  I also wear hearing aids, but I still hear mostly a muffled sound.  It's especially hard when I go to the doctor!  Very stressful to keep saying "pardon me?" "excuse me?" or "I'm sorry, but I don't hear well through a mask".  Maybe it's my imagination, but I always feel like they are seriously annoyed with me.

RAMMEL

Thank You
Thank you all for the Prayers and nice comments.  I'm not good with words so there will be few. Just want all to know it's great having you as friends when needed, and now was the time.  All your words have helped my son and I through the past days.  As some have said, time heals, so I will let time do it's thing. But the gap will never be filled.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...a short few years ago we suffered a draught for several months and i along with many were praying for rain, and when finally some rain comes, one is literally dancing outside the back door in it...

Vanilla-Jackie

Rick ( Rammel ) it is early days for you, take all the time in the world to grieve, we are here for you to help heal your loss, when you are ready for us...There is no time limit on the healing process...

Sandy

Rick ( Rammel )
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
My thoughts are with you and you family. 

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Beverly

Hope to be posting better news in a couple of days. Right now Chape is in the hospital in ICU. He's stable tonight. I won't go into details but he's intubated and sedated. Thank goodness I have Donna here. She's been a rock! We could use some prayers!

RAMMEL

Thank you all for your thoughts, and now turn them to Chape. Wishing a speedy recovery for him.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

Beverly,  prayers and good thoughts on the way.

Rammel, good thoughts for you also on the way. I'm not at all good at expressing feelings at such times but do know from experience that Time can heal the deep grief, although you can't rush it, and can also, if you let it, become happy memories.

Marilyne

Beverly - What a shock to see that Chape is so sick and in the ICU.  Let us know how he is doing, whenever you get a chance to post.  I'll be sending prayers and healing thoughts for both of you!  So glad Donna is with you.    [/b][/color][/size]

Vanilla-Jackie

Beverly..my thoughts and prayers go with you today, the hospital to take good care of your hubby, and that he will soon be back home with you...i hope and pray it is not covid related ( breathing issues )

MarsGal

Beverly, I was startled to see that Chape is in ICU. My thoughts and hopes for a quick recovery go out to him and you.

Sandy

So sorry to hear about Chap2,   Bev...
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

FlaJean

Beverly, Sorry to hear about Chape. So glad you have your daughter nearby.  

MaryPage

Just home from a hospital overnight.  I have a smallish heart problem, and will have to go back for pre-op on the 3rd and a heart procedure on the 10th.

My condolences, Rammel.  I know what it is to lose a spouse, and the sadness never goes away; not one bit.  It does become less raw and bleeding for you.  Each day you feel a bit stronger than on the previous day to get on with your life.

Beverly, I send every hope for Chape's recovery.  I know what a time of turmoil this is for you both.  Wishing it to wind up with his coming home to you better than new.

best wishes to all

Amy

Beverly, good thoughts and prayers for Chape's recovery and for you also know the worry you are going through.

Mary Page, you are one remarkable lady and prayers for you also that you  have a speedy recovery.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Page...oh why is it people with such good hearts suffer with such bad hearts, life just doesn't make sense anymore...That is what happened to my hubby..he died in his armchair of a heart blockage...Wishing you all the best on your pre-op followed by your upcoming hospital procedure....

Tomereader1

Prayers for Chape!  Glad you have Donna with you!

Denver

It has been a busy and stressful week.  My working out at the pool is going wonderfully, but it leaves me totally exhausted‼️

Family members on the move this week.....HAPPY for the rain on the left coast, but not the best time to be moving into a new home with the predictions of flooding from "bomb cyclones"‼️

Feeling sad to be reading news about my friends, and friends loved ones tonight.

BEVERLY, please know Chape is in our thoughts and prayers, and so are you.  So glad Donna is there with you. 

MARYPAGE, good to see your post and the news of a upcoming heart surgery for you.  Positive thoughts and lots of prayers for a successful surgery.

RAMMEL, please know that we all care about you and your son and know that loosing your life partner is something that is not easy to over come.  Loss of our loved ones is something that we all deal with in the best way we can.  My grief is still very close to my heart after my daughter-in-law's passing just 4 months ago. My heat aches for my son and their three children.  Every day seems to brings on another " first" for them.  😩🥲

JACKIE, loving the nice posts from you, telling of the gathering you have become a part of with your church groups. 

MARILYN, I, watched the first Sucession of the new season.  Happy to have it back.  Watching my Bronco last night on Thursday Night Football nearly did me in.  Now I have a full day of college tomorrow and then more Pro's‼️ All I can say about this is a HUGE UGH ‼️

CALLIE  & MARILYN, I do not have hearing aides, but I have definitely had issues trying to understand people with masks on.  Their voice is muffled and evidently Iread more lips than I realized I do. 
Have a goodnight of rest.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Marilyne

Beverly -  I hope we hear from you today, as to how Chape is doing?  I've been thinking about both of you for the past two days, and sending healing prayers, that he will make a quick recovery.

Jenny -  I often think about Dave, and hope that he and the three children are doing okay?  I hope that Mark and family,  will be living close to both you and Dave, when they return to the Denver area?

Shirley

Beverly, I haven't been here to read your news about Chape, so sorry and hope he is doing better by now. More prayers on the way and hugs to you.

MarsGal

Today my mood is cautiously up. I got two out of three problems/questions resolved regarding the house. The guys are coming to put in my new doors tomorrow morning. Then all that needs done is for the other bunch to get out here and redo the lawn that got dug up for the sewer work.

I hope everyone is doing okay and that we hear some good news about Chape.

It is very cool today, going to warm up to the 70s again tomorrow, then back down to the low to mid 60s the rest of the week. No sign of temps dipping into the 30s yet at night.

Another big volcano eruption a few days ago: Mt. Aso in Japan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1FyX_m1Vpc

MarsGal

Oh, Bummer! My door guy just called and said he was misinformed, when the guys went to pick up the doors, they were told they were not in and are not expected until the end of the month. Then we will have to wait for a warm(ish) day to wander by.

Beverly

Thanking God for some good news. They took the breathing tube out yesterday and stopped the sedation. This morning he was awake and talking.......somewhat confused and wondering what happened to the last five days. The large amount of fluid in his body had compressed his heart and it stopped beating. We were very fortunate that he was in the hospital where they could resuscitate him quickly. He's also on dialysis now. Our daughter, Lauri, flew down and spent several days, then Lisa arrived today. Lauri went home tonight. Michael will be here in a few days. Don't know what I'd do without them!

MaryPage - Praying all goes well with your surgery.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

RAMMEL

Beverly,
We're all praying for continued progress and recovery.  Great that someone can be with you.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Beverly...may he continue to make good progress...sending a ((( Hug ))) to you...