Random Image

Rusty

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:15:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsGal

Hi everyone. I wish for you all a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR and best hopes for a better year than last.

I thought the Welland Canal was due to close at the end of the year, but there have been a few passing through since. All the Salties are gone though. Lots of ships made their way up the St. Clair yesterday. I am guessing most of them will be heading in to winter berthing soon. One of the lochs at Sault St. Marie is already closed and the other one is due to close Jan. 15.

I am having trouble finding a status list for the ships on the Great Lakes this year. I did find out that at least four freighters were scrapped, the St. Clair, the Manistee, the Algoma Enterprise, and the Mississagi. One new ship launched, in October I think, the Mark. W. Barker.

Not much going on here. I watched the first episode of David Tennet's verison of Around the World in 80 Days on Masterpiece (PBS) last night. Today, I signed up for a trial subscription to Paramount+, and watched the second episode of The Expanse on Amazon Prime. In other words, I haven't done much of anything yet today and here it is lunchtime already.

Denver

GOOD MORNING‼️

Sun is shinning now but a storm is ah starring  and will move in later this afternoon.

We need to run a few errands before the storm moves in! So I best get a move on🤪

Enjoy your day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Patricia seems to be sending her Arctic Blasts in this direction.  We bounce back and forth between "just above freezing" to "just below freezing" - both "feel like" close to zero.

Carson's best friend, with whom he shared a house at OSU, was found dead of Covid last weekend. Apparently, he had been trying to recover at home by himself.
 Fortunately, Carson's bosses are being very supportive and he is with the family until the services next week - working from his laptop.

Miss Ellen spent more than 3 hours visiting with me before she went back to NYC - taking as many home-testing kits as she could get. She said they're non-existent in NYC. Roomie had recovered from her mild covid symptoms so E. is back in the apartment and working both of her jobs.

Dr. Emily is now full-time at the Chiropractic Clinic closer to home - no more commuting across OKC facing the sun in both directions.

Sons/dils went to the Fiesta Bowl.  We were all glad that OSU won.

I'm reading e-books, doing domestic and desk duties and gradually clearing away Christmas and getting things looking like...well, whatever "normal" is nowadays.

Not watching much t.v. and don't have any of the "streaming" channels that cost extra.  Cox went up on price of a couple of things I "need" so...

And that's about it from this corner.  Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day.

Marilyne

Callie - That is very sad news about Carson's friend.  He must have been in his 20's, which is young for such a serious case of Covid.  It is always a total shock when you are young, and one of your friends dies suddenly.  I'm sure it will take Carson, a long time to come to terms with it. 

Jenny - Hoping your upcoming storm, will not be as bad as the last one.  The fire storm was horrific!  We're still seeing photos on our evening news, of families combing through the debris, that was once a neighborhood.  Very much like the fast moving fire storm that struck here in Santa Rosa a few years ago, and burned over a thousand homes into ashes.  It's heartbreaking to see such sight.

MarsGal - There are so many streaming channels now, that I have lost track!  I've never heard of Paramount,  but I guess it's the latest?  We still have cable, and probably always will, until it eventually becomes obsolete.  Our two streaming channels are Netflix and Amazon Prime.

MarsGal

Marilyne, Paramount and Paramount+ are owned by the ViacomCBS company. Back in 2005, ViaCom acquired Paramount Pictures. Like Disney, it is taking advantage of the steaming craze to present its TV and movie products through a streaming app. I believe I also read that the Pluto streaming platform is also part of the ViaComCBS company.

Denver

No errands run yesterday...
Left my post and headed to the kitchen to wash up a couple of breakfast dishes.....YIKES. The water was boiling HOT! Bob went down stairs and HW tank had burst.....have called so many places to get some help......one could come next Tuesday! 🤪 Bob tried to turn the water off to the tank but it failed so the whole house is shut off.  Finally got a man to commit to come today at noon.....and he came at 9 and is already done! 

So much to do now after 24 hours of no water‼️‼️

CALLIE, so sad to read about Carson's friend😩😢🙏

MARILYN we have friends who lost their homes in the Coffee Fire, so we know personally their struggle.  It took forever for the community to be scraped and prepared for building again.  They were awakened and saw all the hot embers out their bedroom window......so they fled for their lives with only their night clothes on😩😢 It was 😞 awful.
Our snowstorm was not too bad....only 3 inches, but boy was it cold⛄️

Off to DO SOMETHING..... no more bad luck we hope.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

Yesterday was pleasantly cold and sunny. Sure glad I did all errands because today's "high" temp. is 25º and "feels like" 12º. Fortunately, we have no snow.
However, when I was out filling bird feeder yesterday, I saw some tiny tiny daffodil tips poking through.  Not far enough - yet - to freeze but a sure sign that Spring Will Come...eventually.

Thank you for the kind words about Carson.  Losing a best friend is hard at any age but it's sure tougher when you're 24 and just out of college!  They didn't see each other over Christmas but friend had been to Texas a week before that and they had gone to the Big 12 Championship game. Friend was still in school at OSU and had probably just gone back for next semester.  I don't know details.
Carson has spent a couple of days with the friend's family (near Tulsa) and is now here with his parents until after the services next week. 

Oh, Jenny, what a mess with the hot water heater - and to have to have the water turned off for so long. So glad to know it's fixed.

I don't really understand these "streaming" channels but would like to watch a few things that have switched from Netflix and other channels to one of those.

Have been doing desk work this afternoon. Now think I'll spend a bit of time reading in my sunny south window.

RAMMEL

CallieOK
You don't by chance have a "Smart TV", do you? With our "Smart TV" we get enough (Amazon, Youtube, and others my son is aware of) that we haven't pursued computer streaming much. Though I have watched some PBS stuff on this computer.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Rick - We have a Smart TV, and do get Amazon Prime, but how do I get YouTube?   Is it the same YouTube that I get on my computer, or something more?   Mostly I just watch music videos on my computer YT.  Sometimes, a "how to" video, that explains step by step how to do something.  During the original Covid lockdown, I learned how to cut AJ's hair, by watching YT.  Barber Shops were closed here for almost a year, so it was a necessity!   

RAMMEL

Quote from: Marilyne on January 06, 2022, 06:49:36 PMbut how do I get YouTube?   Is it the same YouTube that I get on my computer, or something more?   
I do believe it is the same items. I'll have to go see how I do it. I know I select it the same as Amazon but still will check. Hopefully I'll be back later with an answer.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

Marilyne,
If you can get to "Apps" on your TV, click on it. In the window that comes up look along the top for "Favorites" or possibly "My Apps". Select one of them and look for "YouTube".
Unfortunatly, once you do it, it remembers it - so I couldn't find a way to re-do it.  But start as above and fumble your way through it.  Let us know how it goes and how to do it if you can remember how you did it  :2funny:   Once it gets set up you should be able to see a YouTube Icon  more readily.   Haven't I made this perfectly clear  :2funny:

What Make TV?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Thanks Rick - I think it worked?  Went right to Apps, then YouTube, and then a list of selections came up,  along with an alphabetical section so you could spell out things you want.  When I clicked on a selection, nothing happened, so I think there is a missing link somewhere along the way?  ???  Anyway, AJ is now watching a Sharks Hockey Game, so that takes care of the rest of the evening.  ::)  I'll work on it in the morning, and see what happens.  Our TV is a Samsung.   

RAMMEL

Marilyne
Quote from: Marilyne on January 06, 2022, 11:01:20 PMI'll work on it in the morning, and see what happens.  Our TV is a Samsung.   
Mine also is a Samsung, so that should help.  Be sure your Router is on and WiFi is working (which it probably is)
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Rick - I thought AJ and  I were "Tech-Savvy" .. .  NOT!  ::)   One little detail we should have figured out immediately, and that is that you have to pay for YouTube streaming!  We already pay for Netflix and Amazon, plus a sports channel that AJ watches.   We also have HBO, Showtime and TCM, as part of our Comcast Cable package.  That's more than enough choices for just the two of us.

I guess the thing that fooled me, is that I can go to YouTube on my computer and watch whatever I want for free, so I assumed I could do the same for TV.    As we all know, one should never "assume" anything!  :-[   

CallieOK

QuoteCallieOK
You don't by chance have a "Smart TV", do you? With our "Smart TV" we get enough (Amazon, Youtube, and others my son is aware of) that we haven't pursued computer streaming much. Though I have watched some PBS stuff on this computer

Rick, I used voice control to ask for Amazon and got a screen that read "entering a 3rd party App".  I do pay for Netflix so knew this meant an app I'd have to pay for. 
Will research Amazon web site to see if there are enough shows of interest I'd be willing to pay to watch.

I have enough channels as part of the Cox Contour package, which includes computer, to keep me busy (and grumble every time I have to pay that bill!!!!) . Frankly, I'd rather read e-books on loan from the library than watch most of the shows available on t.v. - old or new.

Marilyne

I heard some bad news from one of our long time members, Shirley Navarro, whose screen name here in S&F is shirleyn.    She was one of the original posters in the Michigan folder, starting back in Senior Net.   Then she continued posting here when it became Norm's Bait and Tackle.   She was diagnosed with lymphoma, a couple of years ago - was treated successfully and was in remission for a long time.  It has returned, and has now spread to her brain.   She has been told that it is terminal.   She asked me to mention it here in Bait & Tackle, for those who were friends with her or who remember her.   I will update any information if I hear from her again.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I'm so sad to learn about Shirley.  I remember her from Senior Net.  Thanks for sharing.

MaryPage

I remember Shirley well, and wish her love and comfort every bit of her way forward.

Sandy

Hi ShirleyN.   I am so sorry to hear
that you are ill again..   Bless you ..
Love from Sandy  (aka dapphne) 
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Denver

A good Sunday HELLO‼️

Runnng behind as always.  This past week we had out hot water heater burst. Water valve failed to the hw heater so Bob had to shut all water off to the house.  Called many places to get a plumber to come replace it, and finally got one, so waterless for only 24 hours. Frightening amount of money to get a new one installed 🤪

I had a house cleaner come Friday as we were so far behind in getting some cleaning jobs done.  She was nice and did a pretty good job.  No one cleans your home the way YOU do, but I was thankful to have her here.

Yesterday Callie contacted me as she was unable to get in here....I tried and found I could not either!  No mention of it, so it must have not been out for too long of time.

MARILYN, such heartbreaking news about Shirley Navarro. I communicate with her on Facebook occasionally, but sadly I had not heard this news. 😩😢🙏

We are helping out with grands for the next 2 weeks as dad has to travel with his job.  He will be home on the weekend.  Then the next week we are going to take care of the little guy for two nights and three days. Biggest issue the first two weeks is getting up early to wake them and get them fed and to the bus when it is still dark outside🤪🤪. They are all self sufficient so I am sure we will do just fine🥰🥰

We had thick fog out this morning and it has finally burned off. 

Enjoy your day.

Jenny

🦋 Jenny

CallieOK

I wasn't able to get in from yesterday afternoon until just now.

Found a new forum "Gateway Error" that tells about outage.  Michael fixed it as usual. Thank you, Michael!

FlaJean

Callie, so sorry to hear about Carson's friend's death from Covid.  It is sad he didn't get some help.  One neighbor is just recovering from Covid but his wife now has flu along with the Covid.  They are both taking a prescription medicine.

What a way to live.  The only place we go is the grocery store.  But we are thankful we haven't got it yet.

Sorry to hear about Shirleyn.  Jenny, glad you were able to get a plumber.  It is hard to be without water.

The last several days we have had some warm weather but we are due soon for another cold spell.  Several bluebirds were enjoying the bird bath this morning.

MarsGal

Mighty quiet here today. Everyone must be having a busy day. I hope everyone is doing well.

The highlight of my day was taking my sister for her Endoscopy appointment and then having one of our periodic lunches out. I wasn't fond of the idea of going across the river at what would ordinarily have been rush hour traffic, not to mention this is Farm Show week. however, traffic was very light. I am chalking that up to the frigid weather and the Omnicrom COVID surge.

Tomereader1

If somebody here would be a real "guardian angel", I would appreciate it.  All of a sudden, with NO help from me, all my places where we watch the ships come in, disappeared from my Task Bar. (S&F's was gone to but I just re-did it).  If someone would put all the links here in one post, so I can put them in task bar, or Favorites, I'd sure appreciate it.  I know there is not much going on with all the snow and ice and blizzards, but I'd still like to have them when the weather turns.

CallieOK

Tome:    https://www.youtube.com/streamtimelive 

I put this one in my Favorites and just backspace after I watch one to return to the list - and work my way down.  Good luck. 

MarsGal

Aside from StreamtimeLive, which is also my favorite, here are the other sites I check regularly.

Boatnerd:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqfPoSUtVhsQp2AmJ4uot1w

Duluth, MN https://www.youtube.com/c/DuluthHarborCam1 The two I watch the most are the top two.

San Diego Harbor Live Cams: https://www.youtube.com/c/SanDiegoWebCam The "rotating/switched feed" cam rotates between the others. Nice if you like to watch the sailboats and warships.

Have Fun.

MaryPage

I am very fortunate in that I have but to look out of the wall of glass to the right of this PC to see all manner of water traffic up and down the great Chesapeake Bay.  Baltimore (not in my picture) is to my left hand (North) and the Atlantic Ocean is to my right hand (South).  The wall of glass is made up of a humongous set of sliding glass doors.  I have two sets of binoculars on the edges of my wall of bookshelves, and I often grab a pair and go out on the balcony deck to examine one boat or another in a more detailed way.

Like Callie, I mutter obscenities to myself whenever I just THINK about my way-too-large tv/telephone/computer bill.  And I remember moving into a new cookie-cutter subdivision in 1953 and having to wait a whole year before the phone company was able to follow us in there and provide individual phones for all of us.  Up to then, we had to walk up the street for a couple of blocks and use a red pay phone put there for our whole community's usage.  Would you believe it!!!  Well, that is the way it was.

What in the WORLD would our children of today make of That!  No computers, no phones, and very little television!  Well, we all threw our children out the door right after breakfast in fine weather, and they had to play with one another and find stuff to do until we let them back in for lunch.  Free Range kids.  They actually had to make up games to play!  And they actually BRAG on this scenario now!

CallieOK

MaryPage, this morning's Grumble is about the "daily" OKC newspaper - which, except for the 20 years I lived out-of-state, I've read every day since I could figure out the "funnies" (now called Comics).

The paper is now printed across the state in Tulsa, which means we do not get print news about anything that happens locally after about 4:00 p.m. on Saturday until Monday.  I (grudgingly) understand the shortage of people to do home deliveries but it's very erratic and sometimes doesn't get here until nearly noon.  >:(
Now they're saying there will be no home delivery on Saturday at all but, "of course", all the extras will be available in the on-line version...every day.  :tickedoff:

Re: "tossing the kids out the door:  We lived in that kind of neighborhood in Colorado and, if they weren't in our yard, all I had to do is stick my head out the door to tell where they were.  There were five families who had sons exactly the same ages as ours and one "Mama" was everyone's Mama. Oh, the memories!
Now they're all in their 50's and still "discuss" things with each other on Facebook.

MaryPage

And you know, Callie, one mother or another was always looking out the window or outside hanging up clothes (do you know what I mean?  I am NOT talking about hanging them in a closet!) or gardening or SOMEthing.  And one might say to me later: "Your Anne ran in the street, and I yelled at her and gave her a whack on her bottom."  Can you image that today?  Back then, we were all mothers to all the kids, and now it's "Don't so much as TOUCH my child!"  How suddenly the whole world changes!

CallieOK

outside hanging up clothes (do you know what I mean?  I am NOT talking about hanging them in a closet!)

Oh, yes, I know exactly what you're talking about!  Did this for many years. I remember visiting over the fence with a neighbor while we were doing so.  We were both "expecting" (remember that phrase?) and my son was born before her daughter was.  I remember teasing her by showing her that I could bend over to pick up the clothes from the basket and she couldn't. Tacky me!  :D