Random Image

Tiny

Owner: Lindancer
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:25:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedee

Quote from: Mary Ann on April 25, 2016, 02:30:08 PM
Larry, before Windows 10, when I would send something to the printer, the printer would come on and print.  When I installed Windows 10, my printer would not work.  Tom got it going by adding “Copy 1” to the name.  Then I found I could not print individual labels; I could print an entire page, but not singles.  With this new Window 7, it sends things to the printer, but I have to get up and turn on the printer.  I can store stuff on the printer until I’m ready to really print it.  That’s my “printer tale of woe”.  I am having trouble with the computer in that the copy suddenly goes very small, so small you can’t read it or much larger than necessary.  It’s done both while typing these paragraphs. 

I have more problems with my computing and printing equipment and those frustrate me no end!!!

Mary Ann

MaryAnn, have you tried as I suggested to Larry? That is exactly what I had to do to get the printer out of sleep mode, but when I escalated, one of the chat people finally instructed me on how to get past the 15 minute sleep setting.

MaryPage, I have had DirectPay with just about all my billing companies, and fully dread the day I have to turn any of them off. However, I think the problem with Verizon and Frontier was the manner in which this sale took place and the alleged notification. There was a direct pay 'opt out' notification sent in a letter, not an email, and I usually do not take much notice of letters from Verizon. As I informed the low-lives at Verizon, the option should be to 'opt in' not 'opt out'. They cared not.

In addition, THREE MILLION customers were dumped on Frontier Communications - google their name to see the trouble they are having, their stock has dropped like a stone - and they were ill prepared for the switch. I am luck to have got out when I did and, hopefully, as bloodless as I hope to have done.

Oh, and yes, I've learned the hard way about the renewal boondoggle. Hubby gets magazines and starts to get renewals three or four months before the year is up. IF he renews (we've done it once) before day 1 of the last month of the year, the subscription starts immediately and he is hosed out of the additional months. Of course, until I start my campaign of harassment against management and then they quickly acquiesce. As I noted, I cannot imagine how someone not well versed in computers gets through their normal workday.

It's all about the money and all companies are evil.

Sandy, in my dotage I now sport a near crew-cut and happily leave the razor and scissor and razor scissor (I'm the only one my hair guys uses it on) and shears to my hair guy. I think he uses a #2 blade on me and my dog is a #1. Or vice versa. ;D

Sandy

I use the Walk hair cutter pro 3/4 inch on the sides and complete back of my head.....  which only
leaves the top (crown) for me to cut with scissors and thinning scissors.

I cut my own hair  (with only sight in one eye and a very
low "field of vision")  better then any hair dresser or barber
that I have been to.

Now if I could just not cut my knuckles off while doing
it,   I will be ok!    :coolsmiley:

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

Sandy,  :)  :thumbup:

My eyes have always been bad, even after nine eye operations; my muscles are weak behind. I could go from wall-eyed to cross-eyed in less than a year before those operations. Anyway, the point is that a few years back my hairdresser almost had to give me a crewcut as I attempted to cut my bangs and while the right side wasn't too short, it definitely slanted way up to the scalp on the left.  :2funny:   I didn't think she would ever let me forget that one!

JeanneP

MaryAnn. Before your screen gets torn up. Go to the Hardware store and get one of those chrome  grilsl that screw to the storm door at the bottom part. My bottom glass goes up also which shows the screen. Only cost $6
JeanneP

halkel

I don't let anyone debit my bank account for any reason.  I do have some that debit my credit card, but when I am ready for them to stop, I call he credit card company and advise them not to allow any further payments to that company.

I have heard to many horror stories about companies getting payments all screwed up and then taking their sweet time in clearing up the matter, what do they care they already have your money.

Mary Ann

The payments I have taken from my checking accounts are all utilities.  Others, I authorize the bank to send checks and I write down all of the info they give me, especially confirmation number.  All are on a one-time basis.

JeanneP, thank you for the information and I’ll look into it â€" or have Tom look for it.  This is for a full screen.

Deedee, whenever I’ve renewed magazines, they have always extended my subscription from the end month.  I have not had any trouble with renewals but I am discontinuing two subscriptions because it is getting harder and harder to read the fine print, also the white-over-gold that they sometimes use.

Mary Ann

deedee

Quote from: Mary Ann on April 25, 2016, 05:56:30 PM
The payments I have taken from my checking accounts are all utilities.  Others, I authorize the bank to send checks and I write down all of the info they give me, especially confirmation number.  All are on a one-time basis.

JeanneP, thank you for the information and I’ll look into it â€" or have Tom look for it.  This is for a full screen.

Deedee, whenever I’ve renewed magazines, they have always extended my subscription from the end month.  I have not had any trouble with renewals but I am discontinuing two subscriptions because it is getting harder and harder to read the fine print, also the white-over-gold that they sometimes use.

Mary Ann

Thanks, MaryAnn. I used to have it set up where I sent the check via my bank. Think I'll cancel all my direct pay and go back to it. They've had use of my gravy train for long enough.

These are all car magazines, and I'm betting it's one company in charge of all the subscriptions.

Kelly

Hi Everyone
Out for a part of the day as I went to the capital Douglas to buy some computer based accessories.

Then foodstuff shopping and home.  Watched some television and now catching up on the computer.

Enjoy your evening.

Kelly

halkel

Mary Ann, I pay all my bills on line, with bill pay, through my bank.  Some good reasons to do so, one, no postage, two, there is a record of all payments and the dates the check clear  And I have a history of amount and date all bills were paid.

And best of all, it is free.  Courtesy service the bank provides.

Kelly

Hi Hal
Something that is free, I like that idea!

Kelly

halkel

Kelly, it is a way to recoup some of the interest they no longer pay.  Interest rates are so low now days it is almost a joke.  I guess it is better than the negative interest that they have some places, I haven't figured out how that works.

larryhanna

Hi everyone on a beautiful, sunny day where we expect to reach 84 degrees this afternoon.  Our main activity today is our Monthly Senior Luncheon at Church.  The speaker today is the president of the garden association of North Augusta and will speak about raising Camellias, which are apparently quite popular here.  One of the men in our Sunday School class is the International Vice President of the Camellia Society. 

My frustrations of yesterday with my printers is solved.  I found I had not rebooted my computer after installing the laser printer and once that happened it started to work fine and the way it should.  My son was able to get all of the printers set up on all of the computers.  This included the Canon printer that I thought couldn't be used with Windows 10.  So now Pat has a printer upstairs.  He got our hanging baskets hung on the back porch and I got the tomatoes and other plants potted.  So I am looking forward to a calm and much more relaxed day today. 

deedee, my new laser printer problems related to me my not reading the last installation step as I indicated above.  I have experienced the same thing with tech folks who you first get on the phone.  If their script doesn't really deal with your problem they tell you one thing only to learn from someone else that the problem can be solved.  Fortunately I didn't have to call anyone yesterday although I was about ready to do so. 

Interesting discussion about how we all make payments whether using credit cards, debit cards or on-line bill pay.  I don't use a debit card but do rely on on-line bill pay and do have certainly charges, such as fixed insurance premium amounts charged to my credit card. Like Mary Page, for many years I have had my Federal retirement pay and Pat's Social Security checks direct deposited and there has never been a problem.  Like Hal said the savings in postage with Bill Pay through most credit unions and some banks adds up over time.

Kelly, I know you have probably told us in the past but how far it is to Douglas from where you live? 

Sandy, regarding cutting your fingers cutting your hair reminds me that Pat has a special glove to wear on the hand holding material when she uses the cutting board and special blade to push along the ruler and it prevents a slip of the cutter cutting her hand.  I wonder if such a glove would be something you could use?

Sandy

Regarding cutting hair...  a
I will check and see if there is anything
that can be used to protect my
fingers from getting snipped.   

But I think that I really just need to be very
aware of what I  am doing,  as apparently
I am my own worst enemy.       

Weather is taking a dip here with
"Wintery Mix"  is in the  forecast. 
But only 24 hours worth. 

Have a good day,  everyone .
Sandy
:o

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

It sounds as if many of us have the banks paying our bills in ways that work for each of us.  I do write my checks to my church so I can put the check in the envelope.  I know I could have the bank send a check but the amount is not always the same, depending on the various causes we support.

Sandy, I had my hair cut today in my usual way â€" I go to a salon to have it cut.  It costs me an arm and a leg but the stylist has been cutting my hair for over 30 years and she has advanced in position to where she is now the head stylist.  I could go elsewhere for much less, but I am not going to let 30 years go down the drain.

It is cooler here too, only 45 degrees, but I did not have to wear a coat when I had my hair cut.  Afterward Tom and I went to the restaurant next door for breakfast.  A monthly event.

Mary Ann

Kelly

Hi Larry
It is fifteen miles to Douglas the capital.

Kelly

angelface555

Good morning all on a rainy morning we have been waiting for. It is so hard to get any rain or cooler weather this time of year. We either have rainy summers or not a cloud in sight but still manage to conserve the drought we've had since 2004. It seems it all depends on mountain snowmelt and we just never have enough!

deedee

Quote from: Kelly on April 26, 2016, 05:39:24 AM
Hi Hal
Something that is free, I like that idea!

Kelly

Kelly, I pay an admin fee every year, so in actuality there is no free lunch. Plus, all banks get to use your money and don't pay enough interest anymore, so again - they win.

But thank you Mary Ann, you gave me the push to cancel all my auto pays. True, I have to do more work each month, but it's worth it not to again go through what I did with Verizon and Frontier. Plus, all of this fuming and fussing is fun.

wjoan

We have been colder also.  Has been about 38 degrees at night and in the 60's  during the days.   Brrrrr  Hope it warms up again.

Kelly

Hi Deedee
You are probably right, little is free these days.

Kelly

Kelly

Hi WesterJoan
Your 60F is warmer than here at 48F and showers!

Kelly

wjoan

Kelly, we usually have a short Spring but 'kookie'.   <meaning pretty mixed up>  LOL

Sandy

I just looked out the window,
and it is snowing!   And accumulating!

Ha ha
Sandy
:idiot2:

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Deedee, I have my electric, gas, extra cable taken directly from my checking accounts but I have the bank send others.  I go to the site where I input the information as to the amount and “send to” date.  When I confirm that the information is correct, the bank gives me a confirmation number.  So, other than the utilities, all the information is generated by me.  My cable fee is part of my monthly fee for the condo association. 

There are a few charges that I have charge my credit card direct and I monitor those often.  I monitor my bank account daily.

It works for me.

Mary Ann

Kelly

Hi Westerjoan
I like the word 'Kookie' :)

But I remember Kookie on 77 Sunset Strip

Kelly

wjoan

Kelly, wasn't he cookie?  ??  :ronounced a bit differently also.  Kookie is with a strong EW sound and cookie is not.

Kelly

Hi WesternJoan
It is Kookie with a K, played by Edd Byrnes

kelly

angelface555

I think strange was spelt kooky? I remember Ed Byrnes and Kookie from Sunset Strip!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0126318/bio

We are back to the sunshine after that light rain but no greenery still.

Kelly

Hi angel
Thanks for the link

kelly

wjoan

Kelly, I know.  I used to drool over him.  LOL

Kelly

Hi WesternJoan

Did you  :)

Kelly