Random Image

just fe

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:30:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Good Afternoon (almost here on the East Coast) from the sunny and cool, rocky
coast of Maine. 

I use Almond Milk all of the time... 
I store it in my refrigerator and if NOT OPENED, it will stay good for a very long time  (many weeks?) ... 
But, once opened,  it should last 7 to 10 days. 

I have never had my Almond Milk go bad and I
suspect that I might have used and open carton
even longer the 10 days.   

Spoiled Almond milk looks funny,  smells funny and tastes bad,  so I always check when in doubt.

I am allergic to dairy products (not necessarily "lactose intolerant" but
dairy products,  cheese,  ice cream, yogurt  and cows milk etc so
almond milk is a must have for me.

I find that not eating daily is difficult...
There is no substitute for good ice cream, and  good
yogurt, and fabulous cheeses.    And I miss not having them... But almond milk really satisfies my thrust for regular ole Cows Milk.

And for that I am grateful.

They do sell non dairy ice cream, and yogurt..
but they are so calorie laden that I only try them
occasionally ... I have never had a non dairy
cheese that satisfies me.

Have a good Saturday,  everyone..
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, in the past, I have had frozen  yogurt and I liked it.  If I served it to family without telling anyone that it was yogurt, they did not seem to notice the difference.  I don't recall that it was calorie laden, but I have no way to check it now.  I usually bought vanilla, but they had a strawberry that was very good with pieces of strawberry in it.  I think I have some ice cream in the freezer now, but I seldom eat any at all.  Sometimes I will make a root beer float - Yum!  Or orange float - also Yum!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Sandy, be sure to try the Almond Nog, that I mentioned a couple of days ago.  It's very low in calories, compared to regular Egg Nog, made with milk.  I also buy the almond milk non dairy ice cream, or the Double Rainbow soy ice cream.  Both delicious (IMO) but expensive. They cost $4.99+ per pint. I buy the 365 Whole Foods brand, which is about a dollar less.  I see they also have  Soy Nog and Silk Nog, in the markets this time of year.  I have no idea what they taste like?

I have a hard time digesting regular milk products too.  I've never liked to drink milk, even as a child, but I do like cottage cheese, yogurt, buttermilk, ice cream and all cheeses! An occasional yogurt or low fat cottage cheese I can handle okay, but I have to be careful.

angelface555

Good morning from a much warmer than last week interior!
 About the earthquake in Anchorage, it is four hundred miles southeast from Fairbanks, and its geothermal climate is very different than ours.

We had an earthquake of 3.7 with an epicenter close by the town of Healy. This earthquake caused by the Anchorage's  San Andreas faultline disrupting the Castle Mountain Faultline.

So, to summarize, Anchorage's earthquake of 7.0 caused a faultline disruption with the nearby Castle Mountain fault. Thus creating the 3.7 earthquake felt by Fairbanks.

Any aftershocks would have to be 7.0 to cause another earthquake felt in Fairbanks from the Castle Mountain faultline.

If you look at an Alaskan earthquake chart, at least 95% or more Alaskan earthquakes are coastal.

angelface555

I also have issues with lactose due to IBS and my chemical allergies. I am able to eat small amounts of dairy depending on what type. So I generally use nondairy foods. I do use unsweetened almond or soy milk.

angelface555

Just a quick addition to my earlier post. While the closest faultline to Fairbanks is 111 miles away, the San Andreas fault runs directly underneath Anchorage's main street, Fourth Avenue. As well as in direct proximity to most towns in the S. E.

Also, the towns in that area are built on a thin layer of soil over a bed of gravel that during severe earthquakes turns to mud and slides. The soil depth underneath the Fairbanks area is 225 feet before hitting permafrost.

Mary Ann

Patricia, in 2006 Jim and I took a tour of Alaska, centering on the interior rather than the Inside Passage.  I remember being on the bus and the driver telling us that the previous earthquake was around 4th avenue and it had lifted the street four feet (maybe my memory is faulty as to how high high the road was lifted).

Some tributes to George H W Bush on the Golf Channel.

Mary Ann

angelface555

That sounds about right MaryAnn. I just want folks to understand local earthquakes and that while it is nice folks are thinking of me, what happens in coastal areas rarely affects the rest of the state.

From a neighbor's grandson; "What do you call a girl who sets fires to bank loans?
Me: No idea...
Bernadette     

Joy

Patricia, I just wanted to tell you that I ordered something from the shopping site you had put the link to the other day.  I placed the order on either Wednesday or Thursday,  and I received it today, Saturday.  I don't know where it came from, but that was surely great service.   I had ordered 2 sets of 4 long, thin wire baskets to be able to grill veggies in, so they don't roll all over the grill. They are very well made and I am so pleased with them. And, they were a great price ,also.  Two of my sons do a lot of grilling and I never know what to get them.. They will be perfect if they just want to grill a few veggies or use all 4  for a variety of veggies.

THanks for sharing that site.  I saw some other things that I liked, also.  I have the site saved in my favorites. I really haven't even looked at the whole site yet.

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

Thanks, Joy. I've enjoyed and used Uncommon goods for a number of years. They have both imports and domestic items for sale and they have mainly Eastern, (NYC?); vibes.

The foster kittens went out for adoption today and all but Mama were adopted so Seraphina will go to a  Purrfect Pals site until and if she is adopted. I was surprised as she is friendly, a people cat and is very playful at about a year and a half. She is also polydactyl with seven toes on a back leg and six on a front leg. She is a large, (not fat!); rangy cat.

Marilyne

Patricia - I'm so sorry to see that Seraphina wasn't adopted!  I thought she was so cute, and as you said, seemed to be very friendly.

Mary Ann

I was sorry to hear Seraphina wasn't adopted too.  Maybe next time.  I'll bet she misses her kitties and they probably miss her.  But they'll have new friends to play with now.

Mary Ann

angelface555

It will be interesting as each of the kittens went by themselves to be the only pet in their new homes. I've always felt that a cat or kitten does better with a playmate, but perhaps I didn't get the accurate news.

Mama Seraphina was nervous after her kittens were gone, but FDJ kept petting her, and that seemed to help amid all the pet store chaos from all the kitten and cats out for adoption from the other foster homes.

I wonder what they will do as she doesn't like other cats? They feel it might be different as she has been spayed and no longer has kittens to protect and they do recommend a slow acclimation with other pets in an adoptive home. But what about in the meantime, by herself?

I realize I always feel bad for those not adopted. I hope someone realizes what a sweet cat she is!

MarsGal

Patricia, I am also sorry to hear Seraphina was not adopted. Sad for her.

I haven't seen the black cat again, but I did see one of Shan's siblings walking across the James Bar's parking lot as well as a solid grey/brown (kind of mousey colored) cat.

Larry, I used the link Patricia put up in her post #11030.

It rained overnight with a promise of more throught the morning. We are in a two day warm-up. It is 420 now and to go into the mid-50s today and tomorrow.

I am getting low on a few items and have run out of snacks, so a trip to the grocery store is in order. I have been buying pumpkin pies lately. Last week I also bought a cherry pie. The 8" pies are just the right size for me, and they have been on sale lately.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is a warm 65 degrees here this morning and raining on and off.  It is suppose to get up to 77 degrees this afternoon and we are to have scattered thundershowers throughout the day.  Last night on the weather they indicated we could be in for some severe storms but I don't see that in the forecast this morning.  I am not attending Church today as I just don't have the energy to get out.  I just plan on a very quiet and peaceful day.  Yesterday I did go to my meeting and then stopped at Aldi's.  I told Pat last night I think that may be my last visit to Aldi's as it was tough for me yesterday even though I didn't have much to get.  We will probably do most of our shopping for groceries online at Walmart in the future.  I was sorry to see Georgia lost to Alabama last evening in the SEC Championship game although they played a very fine game.  However, Clemson, did win the ACC Championship for the 4th year in a row, which sets a new record of consecutive winds.  I see our nation will be flying its flags at half mast for 30 days, starting yesterday, in honor of George H. W. Bush.  He sure lived a long and full life.

Sandy, Pat likes the Almond milk that doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened.  It does seem to be very versatile.  I sure would hate to give up ice cream, cottage cheese and cheese but have never liked yogurt nor really cared for milk. 

Marilyne, I just can't bring myself to pay $5 for a pint of ice cream. 

Patricia, glad you are getting warmer weather.  Will it melt off the ice and snow?  Our son suffers terribly from IBS and has for many years.  That joke was a groaner (if there is such a word).  ;D

Joy, it is really amazing how quickly we can order things and have them delivered.  Now they are offering same day delivery in many places. 

MarsGal, it has been a long while since we have had a cherry pie and that sure sounds good with some vanilla ice cream on it.  Glad you are seeing a little warmer weather also.

Mary Ann

Cherry pie sounds good to me, too, especially if I can get an 8" pie.  Tom doesn't care for cherry pie, but I like it and topped with ice cream is Yummy.

I am not going to church this morning; I just did not feel up to it.  I did better with our 8:30 am service for some reason.  Dot will call later to see if I feel like breakfast at Mr Burger.

It rained much of yesterday and I noticed it raining this morning.  Tom was gone all day yesterday and didn't get home until after I had gone to bed last night.  He was driving in the evening and he must have been busy.  He isn't up yet but I'll have to ask him.  He is to do some work for me today and I wonder if he'll remember or if he'll find somewhere to go.

I hated to miss church because it is Communion today along with being the first day of Advent. 

It could be the weather, but I ache.  I have taken all of my pills so I hope my pain pills kick in soon.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Last night was the annual Lutefisk Dinner, at the Nordahl Hall, here in Los Gatos.  Every year we go, and every year more of the family joins us. Our son Brad and his wife Jackie, have been going with us for a number of years.  Jackie, is also of Swedish descent.  This year their two grown kids came too, and each brought a friend.  Sandy loves it, and always comes with a friend.  This year she had a regular entourage with her!  She bought Martin, a guy she's been dating, and her good friend Valerie, with her husband Patrick.  So with AJ and I, we had a large table for all 10 of us. 

Everyone jokes about the lutefisk, including the Norwegians and the Swedes! ha ha. I actually like it a lot, but I'm fond of bland food!  I don't care for spicy food or food with a lot of "things" in it.  Lutefish is just a white slab of fish.  Nothing on it but white sauce.  The rest of the dinner consists of peas, potatoes, and Swedish meatballs.  Definitely not a gourmet meal, which is what I like about it. Dessert, is big plates of Scandinavian cookies of all kinds, and lots of coffee!

AJ's cousin Don, is always there, in charge of the event. His four daughters and their daughters, are amongst the servers.  Don will turn 90, in January, and will have a big birthday celebration there, at the Nordahl Hall, which we will attend.         

MaryTX

Marilyne, my former in-laws and families were all Norwegians and some were not long off the boat.  The first year I spent Christmas with them, lutefisk, lefsa, an other Norwegian foods were served.  My brother-in-law and I were the only "furriners" as we were called (Rick German and me Irish) at the table.

The lutefisk was passed around.  We took some but none of the younger generations would touch it.  We thought it was bland but okay. This was brought up everytime it was served while I was still in the family :).

Mary   

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

Mary Ann

Marilyn and Mary, Norm had a friend who was of Swedish descent and one time we were at his home and he served lutefisk.  I don't remember how it tasted but I was given to think it was the head of the fish, not the body.  I love fish and Tom does not so I often order it when I eat out, especially a fish sandwich, and it is nice and hot when served.  At one restaurant, it is cod and I can't remember what the other restaurant serves - probably "fish". 

I took the Ancestry DNA test some time ago and as more people are tested, the results change a bit.  The last I saw I was 13% each Swedish and Norwegian and nothing was said about Danish.  I guess three generations of Danes don't count, but that part of Denmark was awarded to Germany after the Prussian War and before the war my great-grandfather took his family up into Denmark.  I've been looking at Sweden, Norway and Finland for family and I haven't found any yet, but it gives me new worlds to explore.

I didn't go to church this morning as I really didn't feel good.  I was all dressed and ready but decided to not go.  I have a hard time getting started in the morning - any morning.  Dot said she'd call to see if I wanted to go to breakfast but she did not call.  I'm glad she didn't because I didn't feel like it.  Tom called after church and will bring me something to eat.

Tom said he was very busy driving last night and came home after midnight.  He probably drove more than 8 hours and when they're busy, a surge is on in certain places so he was able to make some money.  I wish his sub teaching job paid more because he'd then work every day.  He chooses from a list and only works two or three days (his choice).  Depending on the class, he loves it.

I looked at the Soo earlier this morning and it was snowing and blowing up there.  And a ship was headed east.  You could hardly see it.  Duluth was clear but no ships scheduled for a while.

Kendrick joined me on the bed for a while, left and came back.  When I got up the second time, he stayed there. 

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

I'll bet that little girl is a scream at home!

Mary Ann

angelface555

You could hear what sounded like her dad egging her on as well!

I have good news from FDJ and Seraphina. "The Critter Room 35 mins ·ago
Seraphina was adopted! Yay! I came to visit her to find that she went home about the time I left the house. She was adopted by a lady looking for a single cat to spoil rotten - i.e., She & Seraphina are perfect for each other."

Mary Ann

Oh, good for Seraphina.  She should be a big comfort to the lady.

Annie stopped by a few minutes ago.  I think Kendrick recognizes when she comes because he does not leave when she shows up.  He likes the attention she gives him. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is a beautiful morning here and we are to have mild temperature today.  I met with my friend at 8 am this morning and I think that will be it for today as am not feeling well.  I did write to my cardiologist last evening and he almost immediately replied and told me to contact his office and make an appointment for this week, which I will do in a few minutes.

Maybe I will feel more like posting tomorrow but just not up to making many individual comments so am taking a bye for today.

Mary Ann

Larry I am sorry to hear you don't feel well.  I always look forward to your long post to start out my day. 

I think we will have a clear day today, at least no snow.

Tom is teaching at his old high school today.  It has been remodeled since he graduated, so it isn't the same as it was.  Much like when he taught at his old grade school.  I hope he has a class he can teach rather than baby-sit.

I am feeling better than I did yesterday.  I think I am going to have to alter my sleep pattern on Sunday and get up earlier to get the bugs out of my system before I leave for church. 

Nothing special on my agenda today, just more of the same.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Larry, I'm also sorry to see that you're not feel well again today.  Like Mary Ann, your message is the first thing I read, after turning on my computer every morning. I'm glad that you're seeing your cardiologist, as soon as you can get an appointment.  Keep us posted on how you're doing?

Mary Ann, looks like Tom will be making a lot of money over the Christmas season, what with his teaching assignments, as well as driving for Uber. I know that Uber and Lyft are especially busy over the Holidays, because of so many people going to parties and events.

I was going to go to the laundromat this morning, and wash a blanket that's been stored away since last spring, as well as some queen size sheets that have become too hard for me to handle in my old washing machine. I also have some large bathmats that have to be washed at the laundromat, so it's suddenly become an overwhelming task. I don't feel like facing all that big stuff, so will put it off, and hope that tomorrow will look better. 

Instead, I'll do something easy, like some shopping for dinner, at either Trader Joe's or the local family owned market.  Both are smaller than the big chain stores like Whole Foods or Safeway, so easier to shop for just a few items. 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, if you'd like to see a neat picture, go to the Hillside cam of the Duluth group.  Narew is shown beside some grain elevators and is scheduled to depart about 8:30 pm.  That doesn't mean the Hillside cam will be on them that late, but it is a view you usually don't see, probably because a camera is not so available at other locations. 

If Tom taught every day of the week, he'd make over $400, not much when he must pay bills and have some social life.  Unfortunately, his current lady friend lives in Holland so it's 40 miles down and 40 miles back, plus what driving he does while there.  He is not there every day.  He also does not teach every day as he has other responsibilities like meetings he has scheduled.  Once in a while I can nail him to do something for me and I know he'll be picking up groceries tonight after school.  His Uber driving pays well if he gets in a high-paying surge spot, but recently, he made $30 which barely paid for gas.  If an area is busy, the company puts on a surge in to get more drivers.  I don't know what the base pay for any of the area but I know there are different surges depending on the area.

I no longer have to worry about grocery shopping but I do participate in the FAST LANE of our grocery store/ supermarket.  It's in Tom's name because he is the one who picks up the groceries.  We've had very good service and I've been satisfied with the produce so far.  Both Tom and I order and when he is ready to pick it up, he closes the order and lets Family Fare know when he wants to pick it up, they let him know it is ready, he picks it up and that is that!  No crowded store, no waiting in line because someone from the store brings the groceries to the car.  I have no idea if Tom tips or not.

I still use full-size sheets and I have some new ones for my year-old new mattress.  I don't like the quality of the sheets I bought, thinner than what I used to get, but they were a lot less expensive than what I used to pay(you get what you pay for)!  I have trouble making the bed because of my shoulder and I have to wait until Annie gets here to help.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Merry Monday!

Larry,  I, too, am concerned about the way you're feeling and hope for the best with your cardiologist.

Mary Anne,  I just recently learned that Uber and Lyft are available here.  A neighbor who is in the same Bridge Club as I am thinks we should share a ride to the restaurant where we play when the weather is "iffy".

Marilyne,  I also have some bathroom rugs that are too large for my washer.  I took them to the cleaners (that also does laundry) last time but it would be easier to take them to a Laundromat.  Haven't been to one of those in so many years that I'm not sure I'd know what to do - or, actually, even know where one is.  Will have to make that a New Year's resolution.

Did either of you - or any of the Duluth web cam watchers - happen to be looking in between 4:30 and 5:45 (Central Time) last evening?
"Paul" arrived and moored at the corner where ships usually turn toward the docks.  "Roger Blough" arrived a few minutes later and ""Mesabi Minor" was coming into the harbor from the docks departing.
At one point,  the Pier B cam had a wonderful shot of all three ships in the harbor at the same time.

Cloudy and gloomy here today.  Guess I'll "have" to stay inside and try to finish some decorating.

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I just looked at the Hillside cam, and what a spectacular sight!  I put it on full screen, and watched the Narew?? moving across the water.  It looks more like a barge, than a ship.  I'm so impressed with what the harbor looks like in the Winter. All white and cold looking! Needless to say, I've never seen anything like that out here in the West!

Callie - I noticed that Paul will be leaving tonight, about 7:30 I think? His time is always changed a number of times before he actually arrives or departs, so I hope it is later than 7:30 Duluth time.  That would be 5:30 here, which is not a good time for me to be back here on the computer.  Going to the launderette/laundromat is an expensive order here. Amounts to almost $5.00 per load, and is so time consuming!  I think I'll do the sheets and blankets myself, but I like your idea of dropping the bathroom rugs and mats at a laundry and picking them up later.  Much easier on the arms and back! ::)

angelface555

My DNA is in! I admit I was nervous and a little afraid to open it as we have been told all of our lives that we are Irish and Welsh with perhaps 1/16th Scottish.

However, I did know that the forerunners of all Celtic people came over the Russian steppes to get to their present homelands. I also knew that the Vikings loved to plunder, and pillage their way through Ireland and even ruled parts of the British Isles after the Roman Empire broke up.

So to paraphrase, it is primarily what I expected but with a few surprises. I am 69% England, Wales, and Northwest Europe, (Geographically, Northwestern Europe usually consists of Ireland, the United Kingdom, Belgium, the Netherlands, Northern Germany, Luxembourg, Northern France, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Iceland.

Finland, Southern Germany, and Switzerland are also often considered part of the grouping). I am also 22% Ireland and Scotland and 9% Norway. Family lore states that after our ancestors were transported by the British, we landed in Charleston in 1740, affirmed by the DNA from the 22% showing up in "Mid Atlantic State Settlers" and" Lower Midwest and Virginia Settlers."

From November 16th to the 3rd. It was a lot faster than I expected!