Random Image

james

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Good Morning all! :)

MarsGal - was the book you were talking about, Gift From the Sea, by Anne Morrow Lindbergh?  It is a beautiful, calm and soothing book, and one that can be read over and over again.  It's amazing to me, that The Silent Spring, is pretty much happening right now. I have both books here, packed away, and will make it my first New Years Resolution, to find them and read them both once again.

Patricia - My mother gave me my copy of Gift from the Sea, when I was still a young woman.  I remember her saying that I would enjoy reading it then, but would get a lot more out of it when I was older.  The older you get, the more you understand what Lindbergh was trying to say.  So I think I'm certainly old enough now, and will try to find it today. 
I just finished watching the Critter Cam, and got there just in time to see FDJ sit down and give each kitten and Mama, their daily meds.  He is so calm and gentle and methodical.  I really admire him so much!

Mary Ann - Sounds like your holiday trip to Holland was as expected. How I would love to sit and watch a couple of twin two-year-olds, tearing into those presents!  The thing I miss most about Christmas is that there are no little ones in the family to enjoy.  Other things I miss too, but I won't bore you all with my reminiscing.

Callie - The same thing is happening here, concerning newspapers!  We insisted that we would never give up the daily paper, but now I'm beginning to think we'll both outlive the paper version!  The daily paper here, The San Jose Mercury News, is on it's last legs. The printed page will be no more, after this year.  Next year, 2020, it will only be available online. The same applies to the San Francisco Chronicle. 
Callie, I've been meaning to tell you, that we watched the Oklahoma/Alabama game the other night, and we were both hoping so much that your Sooners would win. They put up a good fight, but The Crimson Tide, is always a tough team to beat.

More later . . .

Mary Ann

I just wrote a long post, responding to all of the posts and when I went to post, I got a message that they couldn't get there from here.  I think what happened is that instead of a minus sign, I hit the Airplane icon.  Anyway, I am not going to try to recreate what I wrote. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Okay, I should have looked up, The Edge of the Sea, before I started sounding off about Gift From the Sea! ::) ::)  I looked up "Edge", and see that it's a book by Rachel Carson, and it sounds wonderful!  I plan to put it on my library list today, and hope to get it on Wednesday. Even though I had the wrong book, "Gift", by Lindbergh is also a lovely book, and I think you would all enjoy it, as well.

angelface555

Thanks Marilyne, now I have two new books to read!

MarsGal

Carson, born and raised in the Pittsburgh, PA area (yes, another Pennsylvanian) was a Marine Biologist. Much of her writing was marine related. She also wrote a number of booklets for the US Fish and Wildlife Service where she worked at the time.

Well, I gave up the idea of going out. I got carried away looking into things and watching YouTube train videos and before I knew it it was raining. Didn't feel like going out in the chilly, rainy weather for something I really don't need in any hurry.

Lindancer

Good Evening, it is nearly 9'30 think I will get ready for bed and catch up on some of my magazines.  I will put the TV on and watch Time Square.  Miss my Guy Lombardo even  use to dance to his music at Jones Beach. Hope all my cyber friends have a  HAPPY NEW YEAR

Jenny good to hear your Dad is feeling a little better,Mary Ann great to read you had a good time with the little ones.  I agree with Marilyne children make Christmas so much more fun.

Larry thanks for chicken recipe

Jane nice you will get and extra day off

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

I think I'll put the computer to bed and I'll follow.  It's nearly 10 pm and I don't feel like staying up another two hours for nothing. The cat has been in here several times expecting me to change his food. 

So I'll wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR and I'll talk to you again next year.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Gloria, i'm also missing Guy Lombardo.  New year's isn't as enjoyable as it use to be. 😟

Marilyne

I agree that Guy Lombardo and New Years Eve, go together.  His rendition of Auld Lang Syne, will always be the best!

I haven't stayed up to see the New Year in, for many years, but I'm thinking that tonight I just might make it till midnight!  It used to be so much fun, back when we were young.  We attended many New Years Eve parties over the years, and we even hosted three of them, during our 62 year marriage.

I hope you all have a nice New Years Day, and that 2019 will be a good year for everyone.

so_P_bubble

Happy New Year to all!  Health and Peace above all!

JaneS

I made it to midnight and then I went to bed and slept better than I have in a long time.  Maybe I need to stay up later.

I missed Guy Lombardo, too and I missed Dick Clark!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Joy

Good morning on this first day of 2019.  I wish all my friends here a very Happy and Healthy New Year. 

Jane, so nice to see you stopping by.  I do visit here and also the Soda Shoppe, so I get to see both of your messages. 

Jean,  I keep forgetting to tell you how nice it is to see that you have mastered all the new things we all are learning to do.  SO GLAD YOU STUCK WITH US !!!  You would have really been missed............. not to mention all of yours  and Larry's wonderful pictures .  Looking forward to more of your travels around your area.

Nothing special on for today.  I did stay up until a little after midnight, and I did sleep pretty good.  I have had my breakfast, so need to decide what I will get into. Might even fit in a little nap later.  Have some more odds and ends to take care of, but nothing drastic that needs done immediately. 

I am another one who misses Guy Lombardo and Dick Clark. I did switch back and forth between  several stations and did not recognize most of the "entertainers" that I saw.  The music was not my style.  Watched a little bit of fireworks, but sure nothing like seeing them in person.  The music accompanying some of them was terrible, so I just turned the sound off for a bit.  Some of the comments were not very appropriate, either.  I know that really shows how old I am.

At least, there is that little switch that we can turn off. LOL 

Have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Happy New Year, Everyone.  It's good to know I made it into another year!

I miss Guy Lombardo too and Dick Clark, although I can't say I listened to an entire Dick Clark program - back then! 

I went to bed about 10 pm because the cat wasn't that much company and Tom had left to drive for Uber.  Driving last night wasn't as profitable as he hoped and i noticed by 3:30 the lights were out here so he was home.  Aunts worry about as much as mothers, even about 60 yo.  He's off to Holland again where his lady friend is having brunch. 

Today I'm going to work on setting up my bookcase and getting things in order.  I find my chair is not in place; it doesn't bother TV but nothing is in reach.  I'd also like to find some things!

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year. We have another cloudy and warm day ahead. We have a 20% chance of rain throughout the day and that percentage goes up this evening. I am thankful as we start this new year that I am still around.  I don't have anything particular planned for today but do have several projects I can work on if I want to do so.  Pat and I plan on eating out for our main meal today, probably at Diablo's, which is one of our favorite places.  There are a lot of good games on this afternoon.  The University of Georgia plays at 8:20 this evening so I probably will not watch the game, or very much of it, as that is a very late start.

Patricia, it sounds like you are having a heat wave up your way.  I had also forgotten about the Japanese attacking the Aleutian Islands during WWII. Your city is quite a distribution point.  It is a shame that the public seems more interested in celebrities that what is happening to our world.  Just being well known doesn't give them any more sense than anyone else and why anyone is influenced by them is hard for me to understand.  Pat and I had the opportunity to visit NYC on a one day bus tour many years ago and that is enough for me.  We heard a lot of long booms from the fireworks last night but see any of them.

MarsGal, Augusta is a very old town and the area around 6th and Board reflects the age.  The city is working to restore their downtown area and bring people back to live and play there.  There are a lot of cultural events there. 

Marilyne, do you make a lot of New Year's Resolutions?

Mary Ann, I recently lost a long post and understand who it sort of saps the energy out of redoing it. I don't like to "recreate the wheel". The New Year got underway without either of us being awake to watch it.  It sounds like Tom didn't get much sleep last night.

Bubble, Happy New Year to you and your family. 

Jane, on the six o'clock news last night they showed Times Square and all the people already there standing out in the rain. 

Joy, I have the same problem anymore with the entertainment acts.  They have been advertising for the Super Bowl that the Image Dragons would be performing.  I have never heard of them and from the preview they showed I think I can mute the sound if I am still watching at halftime. 

Lindancer, I wonder who many younger folks have ever hear of Guy Lombardo?

FlaJean

Happy New Year everyone.  Sitting here watching the beautiful floats on the Rose Bowl Parade.  Some of these floats are amazing.

Hard to believe it is 2019.  Hope everyone has a wonderful year! 🎉🎉🎉

MaryTX

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

Marilyne

Good morning everyone, and welcome to 2019! :)

Today looks just the same as yesterday, with typical Northern CA Winter weather . . . mid 30's last night, and will be in the low 50's today, with bright blue sky and a strong, cold North wind. 

We stayed up until Midnight last night too, and watched Times Square, but only for the last five minutes. It's so different now, from the old Dick Clark days. I'd never heard of any of the entertainers, and Times Square itself, looked chaotic and uncomfortable. Earlier in the evening, we watched an old b/w movie on TCM, starring Dick Powell as the "good guy" and Raymond Burr, as the "bad guy".  Then AJ watched the hockey game - Sharks vs Calgary. Calgary won. :'(

The Rose Parade is going on right now, and I'm recording it to watch later this afternoon.  Too many commercials to sit through to watch it live. I'm disappointed that HGTV is not doing the Parade this year.  I always liked to watch that channel, because there were no commercials, and the hosts were familiar stars from the various shows on that channel. I guess they couldn't afford to do it again this year, without commercials?

Remember when the Rose Bowl Game, used to be in the afternoon, starting around 2:00 pm?  In recent years, it's moved back later and later, and I don't know when it starts today?  Probably around 5:00? 

Time to get ready for the day.  Only 9:00 here, so I have a long day ahead of me.  Will return later.   

CallieOK

:party: HAPPY NEW YEAR :party2:

I watched the Times Square live webcam on my Tablet at the same time as the "party" on t.v.  and saw the ball fall on both sites.
I was amazed this morning when I clicked on the webcam mid-morning and found that everything was completely cleaned up.

Before I was old enough to stay up on New Year's Eve, I used to hide under the covers and listen to the celebration in some New Orleans nightclub where Guy Lombardo was playing. That station only came in very late at night.
I also remember my mother bringing a friend and me to OKC from our small hometown to see him/his orchestra in concert.  My friend and I tried, but weren't allowed to go backstage to get autographs.  We were convinced the group was staying at the same hotel we were in and tried to sneak out of our room to find them.  That didn't work, either   ;D .

I had not tried to see the Rose Parade before coming here.  Probably won't - now that I know HGTV isn't broadcasting it.

Miss Ellen is coming for a visit this afternoon.  Glad we'll have some one-on-one time before she returns to NYC.

angelface555

Good morning from a plus 32 and snowy, humid Interior! The wind has died down and no real snow accumulation expected. We are expecting to be back in the minuses on Friday, now that the Chinook winds have passed.

I was still up at 1 AM because the University's firework's display and the city's fireworks display went on until then. At least this year's city park was westward enough that I didn't hear their amplified mics! The fireworks were bright, colorful and noisy, lots of booms but out of sync.

The University's display was just a beat or two behind the city's presentation. What made the fireworks is that the University is on a northwest ridge while the city fireworks were almost due west so two-thirds of that side of town was lit up.

Farrah slept through it and is the first cat I've had who wasn't disturbed. If I didn't know her hearing was very acute, I'd wonder. She is lighter and more athletically inclined, so her diet is working. You can pick her up and not strain when doing so. This morning she alerted and went to the front door, and I swear it was a couple of minutes later I heard someone moving in the hall talking on their sound amplified phone.

I hope everyone had a good New Year's night whatever you did, and it sounds like many watched the NYC ball drop. I spent the evening reading a suspenseful book about a criminal fixer who had been bludgeoned to death in the mid-seventies and was now spending purgatory helping those in London fight criminals.

It was an excellent first book of the series with the characters crispy drawn, and the sequences and vocabulary well researched. It helped that the people he was helping seriously thought he was delusional but desperate enough to accept his help. It was more about working your way out of the many different situations with no sex or gratuitous violence.

I used to go out as well to parties or clubs, but now I'm learning that it can be more fun not to go to the party. Even though I didn't pay at the event, the preparation was costly, and the transportation often had to be reorganized!

My favorite NY's party was when six of us married couples rented rooms at a hotel with a rooftop jacuzzi. We spent the evening in swimsuits, drinking champagne in and out of the jacuzzi and lining up at the refreshments. This party was in San Antonio Texas with my first husband forty-seven years ago!

Mary Ann

It's been interesting reading how everyone spent the evening.  I see I wasn't alone in not staying up to watch the festivities.  This morning, I forgot all about the Rose Parade until just before I got on the computer.  Even then, I did not search for it until a few minutes ago.  I have no idea what channel I am watching.  I was going up the channel numbers when things stopped at 37 (I know that isn't 37 for anyone else).  I clicked on one of the button on the control and there was the parade on 38 so that is where I am - but where am I??? 

I made something for my breakfast this morning that I will share with you, but it is not for the recipe folder.  On Christmas Day (was that only a week ago?) Annie and Tom put together a concoction that took a lot of work and time but it was good.  It was an adaptation of Eggs Benedict and Annie had it up north for Christmas at her mother's.  I came across a recipe that was much easier and sent that to Tom.  But I decided I could make something for myself that would be easier than the recipe.

I got all of the ingredients together first (I'm not usually that efficient).  I put the toast in the toaster but did not toast the bread yet.  I mixed a little mayo, mustard and grated cheese, then heated it in the microwave for about 15 second.  The mixture was not runny, but soft enough to spread.  I boiled the water and put in an egg to poach and at the same time, started to toast the bread.  When the water starts to rise, I turn off the heat.  My toaster is old and if allowed to go to the pop-up, the toast would be burned.  So when the click comes, I pop up the toast, spread the mayo combination on it and take the egg from the water and put it on the toast.  And eat.  I was very happy with the results and it didn't take nearly as long as what we had Christmas morning.

Any of you cooks could do the above in less time than it took me - about 15 minutes.

I do have the Rose Parade on, but I can't say I'm watching it.  I notice bits and pieces and I'll probably return to my music program which doesn't have commercials.

Patricia, I don't think Kendrick listens to fireworks that we do have around here on holidays and thunder and lightning don't bother him either.  I have been with him during storms and he just looks up at me to let me know he knows it is storming.  He also has excellent hearing because he can be downstairs and if I open a drawer, he's at my side almost immediately because he thinks he's going to get some catnip.

Callie, I used to watch Guy Lombardo (Guy Lumbago?) and I liked to hear Kenny ??? sing Frankie and Johnnie.  Enjoy your time with Miss Ellen, she's much more important than any parade. 

Marilyn, to me, almost all of the entertainers today are unknown.  I feel the same way when reading the news on TV - so much of it is sensational and about people I've never heard of. 

Larry, I never heard of the Image Dragons, either.  I won't be watching the Super Bowl anyway, but i know Tom will, whether here or with friends, I don't know. 

Someone mentioned Guy Lombardo and Auld Lang Syne and on the Christmas music was a version by Andrew Bird.  It was written in an "off key" and if you can find it online, you might enjoy it too.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

When I think of Guy Lombardo and his Orchestra, I remember that he had three or four brothers who were all members of his orchestra.  One of them, Lebert, had a rather strange, high pitched voice, but he did a good job with a lot of the solos. The Lombardo musical beat, was very easy to dance to.  My Dad used to call it, "the businessman's bounce". My favorites, (besides Auld Lang Syne) were "Boo Hoo", and, "Seems Like Old Times".

Callie - How lucky you were, to see the orchestra in person. I heard that he always introduced his brothers, so you probably saw them as well?

Patricia - It's fun to remember back to New Years Eve's, of years gone by. Your memory of the roof top party in San Antonio, sounds like a good one. Interesting that Farrah is so unconcerned about fireworks and loud noises. One firecracker going off anywhere in the vicinity of our house, and Winnie would scurry downstairs to the basement bedroom closet, and there he would hide until long after the celebrations were over. 

Mary Ann - Your breakfast recipe sounds delicious, and since I have all the ingredients here, I plan to make it tomorrow morning! That's the kind of cooking I like - quick and easy. My toaster has the same problem as yours.  I have to peer down into the two slots, and then when it looks like the bread is toasted right, I have to pop it up myself.  If I don't, it will continue to toast until it's almost black.

Jean, Joy and Jane - Happy New Year to all of you.  The Three J's . . . sounds like a singing trio! :D

Mary Ann

I just had a nice nap so I decided to see if anyone had been in here since my last time.  Kendrick joined me but when I got up, so did he and he is now in his bed on the living room floor.  That is where I've sprinkled catnip. 

Marilyn, I'm glad you liked my breakfast.  I would never attempt what Tom and Annie made last week, but this was just as good and much easier.  I suppose if someone prefers fried eggs they could be used, but I like poached eggs anyway.  I time the egg by the click of the toaster.

Patricia, you mentioned 32 degrees.  I think our temperature has been below 30 all day.  I haven't been out, especially since there is no mail today but I have a thermometer right beside me that tells the outside temperature.  So, Brr.

I had the Rose Parade on mute and saw some of it but left for my nap and the parade was over when I got up.  I found I was watching the Hallmark channel. 

Marilyn, my toaster is a very old one, probably dating back to when appliances came back after WW II.  I gave it to my dad for some anniversary, maybe Christmas.  Tom and Annie offered to buy me a new one and I kind of declined.  I don't think Tom uses it except for me.  He knows enough to listen for the click and pop the bread up.  We get a grainy bread that is larger than the slot so one end doesn't get toasted but I don't care.  I knew they would buy a $10 toaster and I don't know what I paid in the 1950s but it is a much better toaster than the present $10 ones.  Tightwad!

Mary Ann

CallieOK

]Marilyne,  I was probably in Jr. High when I saw the Guy Lombardo orchestra - at least, young enough to be "swooning" over the good looking singer (might have been Kenny?) instead of paying attention to Guy's brothers.  :D

Mary Ann.  I like your topping idea for eggs and toast.  I use a toaster oven and often toast the bread and then top it with cheese and put it back in the oven with the temperature turned off while I fix my Diet Coke and whatever else I'm going to have.
However, I'd probably fix the toast and eggs (I like poached, too) for supper.  Hmmm....what time is it?   ;)

Plans changed. Now Ellen and Emily are both coming tomorrow and they're going to bring lunch!  :thumbup:    :smitten:
Ellen may get here before Emily does but we don't have anything secret to talk about. 

Starting to get dark.  Time to close the blinds and pull in the latchstring.

Mary Ann

Marilyn mentioned one of the Lombardo brothers was Lebert.  Another was Carmine.  Who was the other?  Was Kenny's name Rogers?  I know there was/is a more recent singer of that name.  I think Kenny was married to Guy's daughter. 

I don't see why you can't have my breakfast for any meal you want, Callie.  I'm going to give Tom directions so he can make it for himself.  He often chops up vegetables and combines them in an omelet.  This doesn't have the vegetables, but takes less time.

Tom just came home and has been in Holland all day with his lady friend.  She fixed him brunch which included pancakes.  I didn't hear the rest as he was going downstairs.  He is tired and probably will nap. 

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good Evening everyone and a

Mary Ann

At 9 pm my time, I hope to watch the Vienna Philharmonic and their New Years Eve program so this will be my last post tonight.  That's a good way to shut me up because there are few people who have more posts than I do.

I'll be back sometime in the morning.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good Evening every one, will start again, generally I lose a post. For some reason my post jumped ahead of me. I must have hit the wrong key, somewhere. nyway I wanted to say" HAPPY NEW YEAR.

I did watch the ball come down in Time Square.  How those people could say with a straight face, they were happy to be there, is beyond my thinking. The crowd started to arrive around Noon!!?????

Years ago a group of us would go to the Jones Beach Theater. The shows changed several times doing the summer, The stage is set on a hugh barge in the middle of a lake.  water was between the audience and the stage.  At the end of every performance Guy Lombardo would arrive on his speed boat and entertain in the restaurant for a while so you could dance.

And then the rock age took over.  So now it is Hard rock on week ends  I guess you could look the Lombardo day at Jones Beach

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Our day starts our at 60 degrees but we are to have cloudy skies today with mostly a 20% chance of rain throughout the day.  The high is suppose to get to 66 this afternoon.  Our day yesterday was brightened when our son came out for a couple of hours and he finally got his Christmas presents.  We didn't make it to Diablo's as we had planned yesterday or plan on going early this afternoon and Scott may join us for lunch.  At 4 pm he has his personal interview at T-Mobile and is really looking forward to it.  After that is over he plans on coming out for awhile this evening.

Jean, the only snippet of the Rose Bowl parade I saw was on the news where they showed the float was on fire. 

Marilyne, good idea to record the Rose Parade.  We haven't watched it for several years and yesterday was no exception. 

Callie, it sounds like you were determined to get Guy Lombardo's autograph as a young girl.  I hope you have a wonderful visit with your granddaughters today. 

Lindancer, I sure wouldn't enjoy being outside in the rain for hours in a huge crowd just to watch something I could watch on TV. 

Patricia, having an hour of fireworks is a long time.  I wonder why the two fireworks display are not combined?  Surprising that all of that noise didn't both Farrah.

Mary Ann, I have never liked poached eggs.  If I am going to eat them I want the eggs scrambled with a lot of ketchup on them.  I am glad you were pleased and enjoyed your creation.  You have certainly had good service out of that toaster.  We have been through several toasters and a couple of toaster ovens.  Since we moved here we bought a new toaster oven and use it mainly to make toast.

Mary Ann

Larry, I suppose a person could put a fried egg on "my creation", but I'm not sure about scrambled eggs.  On the other hand, I think most creative cooking is experimental so if the rest of the things appeal to you - experiment.  Tom fixes scrambled eggs often with no ketchup but lots of chopped vegetables. 

Don't laugh, but I like to put ketchup on mac and cheese.

Mary Ann