Random Image

keani cup.jpg

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:40:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another clear and soon to be a very hot day in the mid to high 90's.  I saw on the weather map that yesterday we had the hottest temperature in the whole USA and they expect us to get to 100 this coming Saturday.

I am going to be brief in my comments this morning as it is already after eleven am and I am just now getting to my office. I do want to share the great news (think we all needed some of that after this last week) and that is Oldiesman posted in CP that he will be taking over ownership of this websites and so our discussions will be able to continue.  Aren't we fortunate to have such a kind and caring man who is willing to do this for us all.

Marilyne

Good morning to the early birds on the East Coast and in Michigan!  It's just a little past 8:00 AM here in California, and it is still raining a steady medium rain, again today.  I'm not complaining, as we need the ground to stay damp as long as possible into the Summer, to help with the wildfire problem.

Phyllis - Welcome to the wonderful world of boat watching! I have about six or seven cams on my desktop, and usually cycle through most of them every day.  The Canal Cam is probably my favorite, because I enjoy all the activity there, along with the excitement of the bells, horns and whistles.  My favorite bridge cam is the one from the hotel, because it's the closest one to the bridge, and you can see everything up close -including cars, people, and the bridge itself.  I recently started watching the Marine City cam, and it has the most and the best views of the boats.  Seems like there is something going on there whenever I look in.  I also enjoy following the live chat, which is to the right of my screen.

Mary Ann - I hope you and Dot went to church this morning, and then to the Cholesterol Pit, for your usual? :D  I think that Kirk's, could also be nicknamed the same, as I'm sure the menu is similar.  The main difference, I think, is that Kirk's doesn't have desserts, like those delicious sounding cream pies that you and Dot enjoy!       

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.

Joan I posted before I went back and read the postings since yesterday. But want to also expend Happy Birthday greetings to you.  No better gift that time with our children.

angelface555

wjoan

Thanks Larry, you are right.  Just glad they are both so close. 

Hugs all around

Mary Ann

Larry, it is always good to hear from you.

Patricia, that is an interesting link and I saved it.  How is life for you and Farrah?  We haven't heard about her in a while.  Kendrick is doing fine.

Dot and I just returned from church and Mr Burger, aka the Cholesterol Pit.  Today we had a cream pie that looked like coconut, but I did not taste any coconut.  But the pie was delicious.  So was our usual Tuna melt.  We talked a lot and tried to settle the problems of the world, but to tell the truth, we never mentioned those problems because we have so much else to discuss.

It is so nice to know that Oldiesmann is going to continue S&F and it is obvious he knows how much it means to us. 

This afternoon when I finish reading S&F, I will monitor the ships but I will try to read the directions for my new phone.  My TracFone really has never been a cell phone as I could only send or receive calls.  This one will text, send and receive calls and take pictures.  I left the phone in Dot's car while we were in church because I don't know how to turn it off and I didn't want someone to dial the wrong number and have it ring in church.

Today our guest minister was a woman who had been an associate at our church.  After she got her doctorate, she accepted a pastorate in Harrisburg PA and was there 12 years.  Her husband was a favorite of our congregation and he was with her today.  Next week we will have two former associate ministers from our church.  Our transitional minister is in Sweden visiting a former church.  We are in the midst of our 150th year and it is good to have former ministers preach, although our present minister is very good and he is a retired Covenant minister. 

I also want to take a nap this afternoon.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Don't forget Golf on CBS starting at 2 PM in a few minutes ....  Final Day.
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

If you haven't looked in at the Duluth Canal Cam, do so.  The waves are tremendous.  No ships are scheduled to arrive until night.  People are showing up just to look at the waves.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

I just now looked at the Canal Cam, and it's still pretty wild!  The walkway looks more like a river.  I also clicked on the Boat Launch cam, and it looked very calm, in comparison.  I  was surprised to see that the temperature there right now is 37 degrees!  That seems very cold for May 19, at 3:30 in the afternoon? (Duluth time.)

donklan

PHYLLIS....The webcam I go to first is the Harbor Lookout, which lists and tracks arrivals and departures for all the Duluth ship movements. Using that, I can switch to the Canal or Bridge webcams

https://harborlookout.com/ships#0

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

donklan

On the map, there are two cameras shown....the left one is the Bridge Cam and the right one is the Canal Cam

FlaJean

Here it is 5 pm CDT and I've finally looked in.  Sure sounds good that Oldiesman will take over the S&F site.  Today has been one of those days——the kind that seems all topsy turvey and upside down.  I can only hope that tomorrow is better.

I also enjoy watching the webcams and see the ships.  I've also looked at the Alaska harbor yesterday and could see in the distance a big tourist ship.

Larry, the highest temp we have had so far is 83 or 84.  Of course we are only 10 or 12 miles from the Gulf so it may not get as hot here.  We have had some beautiful weather this spring.

Mary Ann, I am trying to watch my diet but wouldn't resist that piece of pie.  I haven't gained any weight in years and mostly I'm just trying to eat healthy.  Today I've been feeling like my BP is up—-sort of light headed but not really dizzy.

Joan, I didn't know it was your birthday.  Well Happy Birthday.  To tell you the truth I don't even like to think about my birthday anymore——the days, months and years are going by too fast.

Patricia, I hope you are feeling better.  Thanks for the webcam URL.

Have a good rest of the day,everyone.  Donklan you were posting at same time I was.  I like your Avatar.  Never noticed it before.

Mary Ann

Jean, I try to watch my weight and it is more than it should be for my height, however, the doctors seem satisfied and I stay within five pounds from high to low.  I'm not fat, but I am dumpy.  At my age, who cares!

I'm going to have a time learning how to use this new phone because the instruction book is printed in such small letters and characters, even with a magnifying glass, that I have a hard time seeing the print.  One thing, I'll have to move the table lamp beside by chair and it probably would help if I tried in the daytime.  I don't think it would work for me if Tom read the instructions.  If I can get instructions online, I'll print them for reference.  My eyesight is not good, but the small print is ridiculous, not everyone has young eyes.

Other than that, my day has been fine.  Tom has helped a friend buy an IPhone and they are setting it up in the dining room.  I feel like saying "next" when they finish, but I won't. 

I just finished watching the PGA Championship Golf won by Brooks Koepka, second year in a row for him.  Tiger Woods did not make the cut this time.  It was a close game right up to the end.

Mary Ann

Joy

Good evening. I am late getting in here today.  ANd, I don't think I was here yesterday, either.

Yesterday, I was gone most of the day to a baby shower. It was very nice and so many cute things for babies today.  Everything was nice. Good food, good company and was held at a beautiful community hall right on the Chesapeake Bay. And, it was a beautiful day.  The park where the hall is was crowded with lots of families having fun.  Lots of boats out on the water,

Then, today, my son spent about 3 hours setting up the new TV he gave me for my birthday.  It is one of the "smart  TV's.  It was quite a nice surprised, as the tv in my bedroom hasn't been working right for a long time. I don't use it a lot, but it will be nice to be able to watch a  movie after I go to bed. I just don't want to get in the habit of spending too much time in bed.  It is connected to my Internet and Amazon, so I can get all the prime movies on it.  He did program some of my favorite channels into it, but it has a voice-activated remote.  I just have to ask "Alexis" to go to the channel I want.  It will take a while to get used to it.   My son is very good with all kinds of these kind of new "gadgets" and he just thinks I needed it. LOL.  He did spend a good bit of time walking me through everything  a couple times and I did manage to get to watch something a little while ago.

I am waiting now to watch the Hallmark show "When Calls the Heart".  I love that show.  But, I will watch it on my bigger tv in the living room.  Tomorrow I will play around with the new one.

A Belated Happy Birthday to you, Joan.  Hope you had a nice day.

Larry, it sounds like you were feeling a little  better today. 

Jane, glad you are feeling better.

MaryAnn, your tuna melt and cream pie sound so good.  I have never had a tuna melt, and I think I probably would like it. I rarely see it on menus at most of the places I go to.  I will try to remember the next time I go out for lunch, to particularly see if it is on the menu.  And, of course, any kind of custard pie is my favorite   Yesterday at the shower, one of the desserts was little miniature key lime pies baked in real small canning jars.  Cute Idea.  Unfortunately, they were all gone by the time I went back for dessert.  Everyone said they were very good.

I have not watched a lot of the boat channels for a while now.  I must remember to start checking on the Duluth one.

I hope all the friends will have a good night and get a good rest.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, the tuna melt is very simple - broken up tuna mixed with mayo and colorful vegetables.  The bread is toasted, probably grilled.  They put the tuna mix on the bread to create a sandwich, then cut it in half.  I believe the bread is a light rye.  Dot takes one half and I take the other half.  With the pies I cut them in half, one half for each of us. 

The key lime pies in small canning jars sounds like a clever idea and it is too bad you didn't get one.

If you did not see the Duluth canal today, you missed the high waves in the area.  Lots of people came there to see the waves.

One of Tom's lady friends was here much of the day while he worked on a computer problem of hers and they also went out to a mall to buy her a new phone - Iphone.  She just left about 10 pm.  In the meantime, I was going to read the directions for my new phone and even if I had 20/20 vision I could not have read the booklet.  I was able to get it online and decided I'd print the directions - 123 pages.  So that was out.  I do have them on my computer so if I have a question, I have the directions.

It is way past my bedtime but I'm going to see what other forums are open to read, then I'll go to bed.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

We were without electrical power all afternoon, which was a major pain, so I spent the time trying to stay busy with reading, and looking at S&F and Facebook  on my Smart Phone.  I tried posting a message here in S&F, but couldn't get it to work right, so I gave up. 
I fixed sandwiches for dinner, because I couldn't cook anything, and just as we were sitting down to eat, the power came back on.  So everything is back to normal once again. 

I just now took a look at the Canal cam, and see that lake has calmed down, and is almost back to normal. Paul, is supposed to arrive at the canal at 10:25 Duluth time, which will be 8:25 here. (In about 10 minutes from now!)  I hope his time is not pushed back, because at nine, I will be busy watching TV . . . the final episode of Game of Thrones, is on tonight, and I'm anxious to see it!

Joy

Good morning.  Just making an appearance here this morning.

It is a beautiful sunny morning.  Supposed to be up near 80º today. I hope to be able to sit out for a while, after I get my hair done.  Right now, I have had my breakfast and just need to clean up the kitchen a little bit and then go get dressed.

I will check back later.

Have a wonderful day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

I've been up about an hour or so.  Tom was fixing his lunch for school today so I sat and talked with him.  I don't usually get that opportunity.  The sun was shining when I was heating my coffee water but the sky in the south was rainy.  Later the sun was gone but radar doesn't show any rain in our area.  I see where there was a tornado in Barry County yesterday; Barry County is southwest of us.  I didn't see any wild winds around here, fortunately.

Tom has six graders today and thinks he has not had this class before.  They're at the borderline of cooperative and disruptive.

Tom's friend will be here again tonight for more computer problem fixing or more instructions on her new phone.  One day I may ask Tom to give me some pointers, but I do not expect to use that phone much.  In fact, I don't use my main phone much, either.

Mary Ann

donklan

The "PAUL" is "'scheduled'" to leave Duluth at 10:30 AM CDT .

Mary Ann

Thank you, Don, I'll try to remember

Mary Ann

Joy

Mary Ann, I hope you don't have as much trouble with your new phone as I am having with this new
"Smart" TV.  I managed to watch something last night on it, but this morning, I have not had much luck getting to get what channel I want to come up.  After  15 min. I gave up and came out in the living room to watch my regular TV. 

Joy
BIG BOX

donklan

Now showing 11:10 departure.

Mary Ann

That will be a 12:10 departure for me.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Joy, it is hard getting to new things,isn't it?  Last night Tom put in all of the numbers I might want to speed call and the phone is still on the dining room table.  After lunch, I plan to bring up the instructions on the computer to learn a bit about the phone.  Mostly I want to be able to call and/or receive calls but as I've said, the phone is really for me to call Tom to pick me up from an appointment.

I hope you can get your TV to work as you want and need.

I've said that technology has passed me by, but with this phone, I see I have to join the crowd again.  My other phone just suited my needs.  Now I have more than I want or need although I might enjoy the camera.

Mary Ann

donklan

Bridge is up....Paul leaving.....so much for schedules

Marilyne

Don - I watched Paul's arrival in Duluth, last night at about 8:30, California time.  He was right on schedule, for a change!  Then turned around and left again this morning, after only about 12 hours?  I guess they have overnight shifts on the loading docks?

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Been very busy morning so just checking in to say I am fine this morning and will try to come back and post this afternoon.

Mary Ann

Don, I went to the site to see if I could find Paul in the harbor and I did as he was leaving.  I think the time posted was 10:42 CT so I was able to see him leave.  I like to go to the Canal site when there is an arrival to see if I can see the ship on the horizon, then watch it come closer.  That is, if I have time.

And how many times do they post a departure and we look to find the ship is still in port, going no knots and going no where!

Hi Larry, it's good to see that you are feeling fine this morning.'

Mary Ann

so_P_bubble

Mary Ann, thank you for alerting me to the date. I corrected it and I hope you don't mind but I erased your post since it did not belong.

wjoan

FlaJean,  I kind of enjoy them,  like to see how many I  can have before  iI go