Random Image

Tom the Terror

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:57:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  I got up about 8 am to start my salad because it should rest awhile to let the flavors blend.  It's so nice to have a man about the house!

I have a mini food processor to use in chopping vegetables.  I could not get the bowl over to a spot to pulse the veggies.  I'd try, then go sit down a while, go back to the kitchen, try, sit down etc.  I didn't hear Tom and I thought I'd let him sleep but at 10 am, I called to him that I needed help.  I knew I was not going to chop the veggies - carrots, onion, radish, green pepper - so I needed Tom's help or we would take no salad.  Anyway, he came up, I told him what I was trying to do, he got the bowl in place and he chopped veggies in the food processor.  Takes a lot less time.  Tom used up the grated cheese so will get a package to top off the salad with the tomatoes on top.  Whew!

I am now taking it easy and will get dressed shortly.  We are eating late because Robin has to work today.  Her daughter is in town and will do some of the preparations but the cooking probably will not start until Robin gets home.  She said she wants to eat about 5 pm. 

We had snowflakes this morning and I suppose we will get more.  I just hope heavy snow holds off until next week.  Tomorrow morning Tom and I will go to Holland to babysit.  Both James and Alicia have to work and their child care place is closed.  So Grandpa and Aunt Mary Ann will fill in.  We also will go to Holland Sunday for another T-Day meal, but a shortened version, not a big dinner. 

Who says retirees don't have anything to do or no place to go?

Again - Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a plus 32 Interior where it's warm and dry with no snow expected. The last three days, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, I was ill every afternoon when the humidity was 100%, and the barometric pressure was having a heyday with seemingly iron spikes in my head. I felt much better yesterday and today.

I didn't go to dinner here on the 22nd. The State's idea was to provide one or two items, needing volunteers to cook the pieces and finish all other details. I see they had nine people out of all the five floors. I wish the national political situation hadn't caused our private ownership to leave. I have a feeling many things that made this building a community will cease to exist.
I'm going to Alan and Dora's for thanksgiving, and I hope all here have a happy one if celebrating!

ICAJGR9T.gif

Mary Ann

Tom got my mini-food processor to work and he finished chopping the vegetables. He left to run some errands and get some things for Robin and also got some shredded cheese.  I just put some of that on top of the salad, cut up a couple of tomatoes and put those on top and the salad is in the refrigerator.  I don't know why I made such a thing about it being a layered salad because it is in a deep ceramic bowl and you'd never know if it was layered or not.  And, who cares!

It's 1:30 and I think I will try to take a nap. 

Patricia, I'm sorry to hear you haven't felt well.  Humidity can do things to people and make us uncomfortable.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Mary Ann

wjoan

HAPPY THANKSGIVING  to all my friends.  Have a great one.

FlaJean

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving.  We went to our daughter's and had a delicious meal.  I haven't posted in a while.  Have had some tests and will now wait until my doctor's appointment to find out the results.

Our weather has been so nice this week.  Every day in the 70s.

Nice to see you posting Joan.  Have been wondering how you are doing these days.

Mary Ann, you have sure been busy.  Hope you and all our seniors and friends are doing well.

We got some very bad news about my grandson.  His cancer is back and very bad.  He is trying so hard to keep his spirit up.  We are all just praying something can be done.  He was cancer free for awhile but it has come back with a vengeance.  He is only 38 and has two young children and it just breaks our hearts.

We still have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving Day.

wjoan

FlaJean, do not post in here as too many posts to read and my eyesight is very poor..  Take care.

Mary Ann

Joan, it is good to see posts in here from you.  You posted something in another folder "thanks, Rick", but it was not your usual folder and there was no previous post by Rick.

Jean, I'm so sorry to read about your grandson.  He's so young to have cancer worries, but I know many young people are affected.

I don't think I mentioned this before and it was not nice to hear.  Yesterday we picked up Tom's MIL so she could enjoy T-Day dinner with Annie and the rest of the family.  Before Annie came to pick her up, MIL Carol and I gabbed.  I showed her a picture of me at age one in a high chair in West Virginia.  Carol asked if I had any brothers or sisters.  Carol has known our family since the early 80s when Tom and Sue were married.  I told her I had a brother, Norm.  She asked if he was still living.  I don't think she was at Norm's funeral, but I know she knew he had died.  I think I had heard of some memory loss but I had not experienced it before and I was stunned.

We had a very nice T-Day dinner at Robin's. Her daughter, son and girlfriend and her daughter, were there besides Robin, Tom and me.  Other than having chicken instead of turkey, we had everything else that people have for T-Day dinner.  I took my salad and most of it was gone so I left the remains with Robin and she can bring the dish back with her when she is here Tuesday.

I asked Tom to bring me home at 8 pm and we have to get up early in the morning to go to Holland to babysit the girls.  Both James and Alicia have to work and their child care is closed for the day.  I think we have Saturday off because we will go back down to Holland on Sunday.

Mary Ann 

wjoan

[Mary Ann, sorry thought I posted in here.   Do not come in here much as eyesight is very poor.

Mary Ann

Joan, you did make a post here, but the other one was not in your usual place so that is why I mentioned it. 

I'm glad you did post here because you have many friends here.  Come back.

Mary Ann

Denver

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to ALL here in the US. 

JEAN, I am so sorry to read the sad news about your grandsons cancer returning again😢. Such devastating news, especially after being told he was in remission😩

MARILYNE, I have been watching the storms in California and it is cold and snowy in places.....bad part of that is after Cali is done with the storms she send them on over to us!  Then we just send them on to the East and share them with everyone else🥰🥰. The weather was much better here today but the roads are still pretty bad in places, so we definitely made the right decision to stay at home.

MARY ANN, good to read that your plans went well today and everyone enjoyed the time together.  Enjoy being with the girls tomorrow.

Our day was rather quiet......we did get our turkey cooked....tried to keep the accompanying items to a minimum, but it still took a lot of clean up and we both questioned if we ever really want to do this again😩🤣🤣

We talked to three of the sons and families today and my Dad, but sadly did not hear from Dr. Dave and Family who are in Florida at Disney World 😭

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

FlaJean...
...may our God help to cure your grandsons cancer...if so, this would be the perfect Christmas present for him and all his-your family.....same for you...
Jenny...
re, your Michele...may they both become cancer free, so they can both get on with their " young " lives...
" There is no present like the time "

Marilyne

It's seems very quiet here now.  It's almost 9:30 AM, and Shelley and Claire just left for their long drive home to the Central Valley.  It will be a grueling drive for them, because the highways they have to take, are the same ones that lead to I-5, which is the main interstate from Northern to Southern California. People returning to the Los Angeles area after Thanksgiving, mean the cars will be bumper to bumper for hundreds of miles. That's the way it is now, so you have to put up with it if you want to go anywhere on a holiday.

JEAN - I've been thinking about you and your family, since I read your message last night.  I'm so sorry that your grandson's cancer has returned.  I remember that you were very grateful, when he went into remission, and were hopeful that he would remain well.  Only 38 years old . . . is just too young to be dealing the evil cancer.   There are always new treatments at the different cancer centers, and I'm sure he will try anything that is recommended.  The Immunotherapy treatments, seem to be working miracles for many of the different tumors.  I hope they will work for him, if it's an appropriate treatment. 

JENNY - I'm sure you were concerned yesterday, when you didn't hear from Dr. Dave and family, vacationing in Florida.  You'll probably  hear from them today, but if not, you can be hopeful that they're having a such a great time at Disney World, that they were too busy to call.  It sounds like you and Bob had a nice low-key Thanksgiving, with all the traditional foods we look forward to every year.  This will give you a nice rest, before the weekend is over and things return to "normal".

MARY ANN - Sounds like your Thanksgiving Day, worked out as planned, and everyone enjoyed dinner at the various households.  It must have been fun to go to Robin's, and meet a whole new group of people that you didn't know before.  I'm glad your salad was a big success!  :thumbup:   That is a sad story about Carol, Tom's former MIL.  It must have been shocking to you, when you realized she didn't remember Norm!  That sounds serious, but unfortunately, it's much too common now.  I wish they could find something that would truly be a cure for dementia.   I feel the same way about cancer.  So much research, and so many treatment centers, but the victims of that dreaded disease seem to be getting younger and younger.
Well, on a brighter note, I hope that Annie's dinner was a success?  Also - have a nice day today in Holland, with the twins!

Hello also to Jackie, and wjoan.  Joan, happy to see you leaving a message with us here in B&T. 
Patricia - I hope you had a nice dinner, and day, spent with Alan and Dora? 

I think I've written enough - too much - and will return later with more!  ::)

wjoan

Mary Ann, left a post for Rick cuz I was having a problem on here and thought he fixed it.  Found out someone else fixed it but do not know who.

angelface555

Good late morning from the Interior, where it is all fluffy and snowing! I did have a nice Thanksgiving, Marilyne, thank you! There were about twenty people there, and we watched recorded games, ate, gossiped, ate some more, and gossiped more! I got home around two and slept until almost ten! I imagine it will be hard to get back to a good sleep schedule! I hope everyone's holiday was as lovely!

I am so sorry to read about the stubborn cancers  and Carol's dementia. My mother who had been an engaging, involved, loving woman, died of pneumonia after a number of years with the disease in 2000.

Joan, it was probably Bubble as she is the adminstrator and chief mechanic around here.

Joy

Glad to hear that everyone seemed to have a nice Thanksgiving.  All the food sounds delicious.!

Jean, I am so sorry to read about your grandson.  I will certainly keep him in my thoughts and prayers.  There are so many new treatments and new medicines now, that I do hope they can find some new treatment for him.  I know what a worry it is on you.  So sad as he is way too young to be dealing with a serious health condition.  it is so important not to lose hope.

My thoughts will be with your family.  Does he still live in Maryland??? 

Hope everyone is enjoying the day after Thanksgiving.  Hope you all got lots of leftovers.  I did have a nice day at my son's and did bring home enough left-overs for my dinner.  Even got a half-bottle of wine for me to finish.  I like a sweet wine and usally the only one who does, so I got the left-overs.  Will enjoy a glass with my dinner.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

It's nearly 6 pm and I've had a long day.  This is the first chance I've had to really be on the computer since we left at 7 am this morning.  I got up about 6 am and was ready to leave for Holland at 7 with Tom.  We got there in time to get some instructions and information; the girls were already up - with much more energy than either Tom or I had.  Everything went well as the girls played with some toys, then watched some Disney movies.  Alicia was home about 1 pm and we chatted a bit.  James had taken Tom's car to work so after Alicia got home, we took her car to meet James at a Mc Donald's.  James was not going to eat lunch with us as it was nearly 2 pm and he had to be back at work so we went to Russ's in Holland (headquarters are there) and had lunch.  On the way back we drove to a hardware store in Grand Rapids where we met Robin who wanted Tom's help in buying something. She rides a bike to work at 62!  And rode it to the hardware store.  From there we came home and both took naps, including the cat.  I'm still tired.  I think I have Saturday free but Sunday we will go back to Holland for Thanksgiving desserts.

Mary Ann

Beverly

Happy Belated Thanksgiving Day everyone!  We had a nice quiet day. Michael and Jennifer are still here and will be for another week. We had turkey with all the fixings but kept it simple so no-one had to work too hard. Michael has been helping with a lot of little projects around here. Jennifer is more like a daughter than a DIL. I've known her since she was little and she and Michael started dating when they were 15.

We talked to each of our daughters and also to four of our grandchildren. Some of them texted pictures of their family gatherings.  We have 8 grands, the two youngest are 24 yrs. old and there are five great-grands from 4 to 17. Donna is celebrating being finished with chemo so it was a good day for all.

Jean - I am so sorry to hear that your grandson's cancer has returned. It's especially sad when young people like him with a family are struck by this awful disease.

Jenny - I was also sad that Michele has another tumor. I hope and pray they are able to take care of it. It has to be so difficult for her knowing she'll need more treatments.

Mary Ann - The best part of baby-sitting is getting to see those two sweet girls. It had to be a shock to realize Carol apparently has dementia. Chape's sister used to phone his sister-in-law (wife of their brother) and ask how Wayne was doing when he had died several years earlier. We all could see the gradual decline.

On a happier note, as Jean said, the weather here has been beautiful. Florida at its best!

Joan - It was nice to see your post here. I hope you're doing well.

Joy - Great that you were able to bring home some of the leftovers. Usually when you spend Thanksgiving at another house you are left with no goodies for the next day!

Marilyne - I don't think your posts are too long. I find them interesting and like the way you respond to so many. I'm not very good at posting on a regular basis, though I do read all the messages. Most days I kind of sit in the corner!  :)

Patricia - Sounds as if you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends.

SCFSue - Isn't it nice to receive flowers! That happened to me also. We returned home from having dinner out and there was a beautiful bouquet at my front door, sent by my youngest daughter.

Jackie - It's nice to see you posting. I may write some of my memories of days gone by. The world was a different place in the 40s and 50s.

Denver

Good evening.  I wrote a post this morning and lost it....I kept thinking about getting back in to rewrite it, but did not mean for the day to pass so quickly! 

JACKIE, I thank you for the kind words about Michele.....there are several of us cyber friends that have loved ones dealing with this darn cancer.....I just wish we could kick cancer to Timbuktu🥰🥰

MARILYNE, the family returned home tonight from FLorida and we hopefully will see them tomorrow.  I am just happy to know they are fine and home safe.  I bet it is quiet around your house with the girls gone.  It is always nice to see them come but always hard to say goodbye.  I hope they, too, are home safe and sound.

Nice to read that you enjoyed a nice Turkey Day too, Patricia.  Did you save a piece of Turkey for Farrah?  My Smokey had a couple of pieces but that was all he cared about.

It is snowing again and the last snow has hardly melted as it has been so cold ❄️❄️🥶🥶

I must head off to bed myself.

hi, BEVERLY....I see you had a lovely  Thanksgiving too....and were able to talk to all of your family members.  Sweet.

Pleasant dreams to all. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...oh yes, kick all cancers to Timbuktu, including everyone's MS...

Beverly...
...you are so right " the world was a different place in the 40's and 50's, " although a tad before my time but, i can vouch also for my 50's and early 60's...Oh those " swinging 60's " who remembers Mary Quant, the mini skirts and her icon fashion.....I  still have memories of the 70's those high " platform shoes, " we wore them but oh so dangerous the times they had me on the ground...

All...
...took delivery yesterday of my ordered " Mason Pearson " hairbrush, as my well trusted hairbrush I bought in my 20's in a top store in West Ends London was losing its tufts so bought a replacement seeings these very expensive ( $103 - $116 )  (£70 - £80 ) hairbrushes last for 40 plus years, so this brush should see me out baring in mind i am now coming up to 69.... now the question is, which of us is going to last the longest...

Mary Ann

Wow, Jackie, that is one expensive hair brush.  I like a good brush, used to get a hair brush from the Fuller Brush man, but never paid that much.  Nowadays I don't brush my hair and I guess I haven't for years. 

Jenny, I'll bet you are happy that Dave and his family are back home.  I'm always happy to know my families are where they should be and I'm always happy when Tom is in for the night.

Jenny, I have never given Kendrick any piece of meat; he's had only dry cat food.  I did just let him lap up the milk from my cereal; there were a few very little cereal pieces in it.  He gets milk only when I have cereal.

Beverly, it was such a shock to have Carol ask if Norm was still living.  Tom has told James that she should be in an Assisted Living place rather than Senior Living.  She is legally blind because of wet MacD anyway.  It is up to Sue and her brother to tell her she is going to the wrong place. 

I am going to do little if anything today.  I'm not feeling any the worse for wear but I don't want to overdo it.  I don't do much any day, so this won't be too different.  I do have to put the trash together and when Tom returns, he'll take it out.  Like many places, our Friday delivery was postponed until today because of Thanksgiving.

Now, I'll see if there are any ships on the St Clair River.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

We are having another beautiful day.  It will be warm tomorrow also but supposed to be in the 50s next week.

Just taking it easy today.  Hope everyone is having a good day!

Mary Ann

Jean, it's a good day to take things easy after a busy week.  I just got up from a nap and I think I'm caught up from my tiredness of the last two days.  Next will be the Christmas holidays.  I don't get so caught up in preparations but any activity can be tiring for me.  But I hate to miss out on anything.

I just put on the Christmas music channel on my TV.  I found I am not quite ready for Christmas music yet.  I went back to my Light Classical channel.

It's 35 degrees here, not sunny, but also not snowy.  Yet!

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a partly cloudy Interior where all is quiet, and all is white. Absolutely nothing is going on here other than a bit of chore catchup. I have a large turkey that I might roast this afternoon or perhaps tomorrow. One of the local groceries was having a free turkey if you spent a certain amount, so I'll have freezer baggies to fill.

Tuesday is Senior day for a few stores, so I'll be out and about then. Otherwise, all is quiet here.

Farrah is either fervently wanting attention or wanting to be left entirely alone and that's my day for now.

Mary Ann

Patricia, now that we did not have turkey, I find I did not miss it as we did have chicken and when you put them on the plate, already carved and picked over, I can't tell the difference.  Lucky you to get the free turkey.  One year I won two turkeys and that must have been the year I fixed a turkey dinner for my retiree friends.  As I recall we ate nowhere near November, maybe in the Spring.  You will have many good meals from that turkey. 

At 4:13 pm it is starting to get dark and by 5:30 will be completely dark.

Mary Ann

Denver

H A P P Y   1st   B I R T H D A Y
      wishes in HEAVEN
         To Our 💐💐June💐💐

I have dreaded to see the first Birthay we share with out you here Sweet Lady😢😢😘. I know the angles and your baby girl are dancing around with you enjoying every second of the celebration🥰🥰
🦋 Jenny

Mary Ann

Jenny, I hope you've had a nice birthday; I forgot about the two birthdays.  You'll have to celebrate alone now.  My fellow birthday people have both died - William Shakespeare and Shirley Temple. 

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...oh did i miss YOUR Birthday, i know i remembered Bob's but how did i miss yours...I am on it right away, please look for a card from our jacqui lawson...

Denver

JACKIE, your greeting and your card were not too late at all.  It is heading towards midnight and I was born this late on the 30th, so you were just in time🥰. I thank  you for thinking of me! 

MARY ANN, I enjoyed a very nice day, thank you for the wishes. I talked to my Dad, all of the sons, daughter-in-loves and grands!  Jonah learned to whistle this week so I got to see him do that and he loves to wave, so he waved a LOT to me!  A beautiful flower arrangement arrived from Brian and Cathy and tomorrow we will go to Dave and Michele's for a belated Thanksgiving and Birthday celebration with them.  I feel very blessed. 

It warmed up a little today....at least the sun was shinning, so we did venture out for a very nice dinner at Pappadeauxs.  We shared a seafood platter, and I particularly enjoyed the shrimp....it was really yummy! 

Now that I am officially born, I think I had best head off to bed.

Pleasant dreams to all,
Jenny
🦋 Jenny

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...how did you know i love " peacocks, re, your thank you card "....This was a standing joke with me and Richard, we had visited the " Swiss Gardens " google map it Jenny, it is near the Old Warden shuttle-worth collection....When one walks around the grounds one comes across peacocks strolling around, i had taken so many peacock photos...

Mary Ann

Jenny, I am happy that you had such a nice birthday.  Being with and hearing from family is special.  May you have many more such days.

We woke up to a very white world.  It surprised me because I woke up at 1:30 hearing pouring-down rain; Tom said there was also thunder and lightning but I did not hear that as evidently I went right back to sleep.  I think there are about six inches plus on the ground and the trees are beautiful with their white coats.

Dot called to see what I thought about church.  I knew our road was not too good, but I was sure the main roads would be OK so we decided to risk it.  The hand shovelers were here whe she got here and that was as far as we got. We have to go around a circle with the flag pole and it is hard to get traction to get to the main road which is uphill by us.  I got out of the car, hoping Tom would be available to get her car pointed in the right direction to get her home (not push because he cannot do that) but when we looked we did not see her car.  I called but she didn't answer and she probably was at Ruthie's, her next door neighbor.  Tom got out OK, but it wasn't easy. I'm just as happy that we didn't make it. 

Next will be thoughts of going to Holland.  We are supposed to pick up Annie and their drive is not easy and it's long.  We are to leave at 1 pm.

I'll keep you posted.

I'll bet the St Clair River area is pretty.

Mary Ann