Random Image

Girl of My Dreams graphic

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne - Mary Ann...
...yes it was appreciated by me, of my ex neighbour Pat to phone me with this news, even though a shock to hear, it was just that if my Richard was still alive it would have saddened him....Strange really as i still picture him ( Denis ) as i left him 20 years ago, just like it was yesterday...that slim man coming in - going out, getting on - getting off his bike, and still riding his push bike...
" There is no present like the time "

Joy

Goodness, It sure has suddenly gotten very slow in here.

I know I have been missing for a few days.  Just had a very frustrating week.  Had a couple long phone calls trying to get two problems straightened out.  Finally did, but things like that really tires me out.  I was exhausted by the time I was done.  Hope this week will be better.

Tomorrow, Sunday, I am hoping to go to a Breakfast with Santa with my 2 little great-granddaughters, their dad and my son.  One of our county's Volunteer Fire Co. puts in on and it is very, very nice.   It id an AUCE breakfast and they have everything.  My son and grandson get their money's worth at this sort of meal.  They also have a small Holiday craft show, so I might be able to find a couple small gifts.  I sure hope it all works out. 

It is a sunny day, but still so cold.  But, it is supposed to be like that, I guess.

I am one who still says Merry Christmas !  I don't like using  then "Xmas" way.

Jackie, I am sure you were quite shocked to hear the news about your old friend.  I hope that you are feeling better and getting some of your problems solved.

Patricia, I love the idea of using the Dried Onion Rings in place of  the bread crumbs. I will have to remember that. I think I have a can of them in my pantry.  I bet they would be an added good taste to add to stuffing and for breading fish. Thanks for the idea.

It is past lunchtime, so I better try to find a little something to hold me over to dinnertime.

Have a nice rest of the day.

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

After some questions and consideration, we are attempting to reopen two forums. We welcome any and all participation.

Show Me A Photo Of  https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=165464

And Trivia Quiz  https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=165463

Mary Ann

Joy, it was good to see your long post.  The Breakfast with Santa sounds like a good thing for the youngsters.  We may have something like that here, but as our little ones are too young, I have never heard of one. 

Tom and I spent much of the day in Holland with the twins.  Alicia's parents are coming next week from Wisconsin and she and James wanted to be able to clean without assistance from the twins.  Barnes and Noble have a story time each Saturday morning at their Holland store so we took the girls.  The first reader did not have a strong or expressive voice and she kind of lost her audience.  The next one was much better but by that time, the audience had lost their interest.  The Holland High Jazz Band played for a while and I think the adults were more interested.  Tom's friend, Mary's, son is in the band, plays trumpet.  There is a cafe at the store, so Tom got some eats for the girls.  We stayed a while longer, then went to McD's for lunch and to let the girls play in the play area, which they did.  We left for James' and stayed a while to chat, then left for home and got home at 4:30.  We had left at 9:30 am.  I think both Tom and I were bushed; I sat on the couch and petted the cat who purred quite loudly in thanks because he had been left alone and was so happy for attention.  I expect to go to church in the morning, but we will see how tired I am. 

Mary Ann

FlaJean

I also like the idea of those canned fried onions in a meat loaf.  I have some in the pantry waiting to be used.  I bought them for a green bean casserole but didn't make the casserole.

It was in the 60s here today.  We are having really crazy weather.  First part of next week is supposed to be in the 70s and the second part of the week will be in the 50s.

This is the day in 1941 that Pearl Harbor was bombed.  We didn't turn on the TV today so I don't know if it was mentioned or not.  Usually they have some war movie on the TV but I haven't looked.

It has been a quiet day with both Larry and I with our noses stuck in a book.

Hope all of you had a good day.

Denver

It is Saturday Night and I am going to attempt to say a quick HELLO to ALL.  I continue to have issues with my internet and I have lost so many posts that I have lost count. 

Strangely, it seems to be effecting a lot of things.  I have been getting Birthday Greetings today that were sent a week ago on Face Book and they are just now appearing. 

JACKIE, I am sorry to read of the passing of your and Richards friend Denis. That was very kind,of your friend to let you know. 

JEAN, thank you for asking about our plan to purchase the new condo.  We have decided, just today that we are going to back out and get our money back.  There are several reasons but one being a lot to do with our DIL's health issues.  We feel there may be a chance down the road that we may need to be nearer to help with the children, so for the time being we are just going to sit tight.  I do hope your daughters FIL will do well with the pacemaker.

MARILYNE, happy to read you went to the dentist to make sure there was no infection.  I hope the issue will settle down and stop hurting you!

My picture today is my Grandson Jonah taken yesterday on his FIRST Birthday.

I do not have much to say....just that I hope you all are doing well and having a good nght of rest .

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Marilyne

Last night was our annual, Lutefisk Dinner, at the Sons of Norway Hall, here in town.  Love it or hate it, lutefisk is definitely unique.  It's the brunt of many jokes, but everyone eats it once a year, whether they like it or not! ha ha  I'm one who likes it, so I enjoy the meal, which consists of the fish, Swedish style meatballs, potatoes, white sauce, Cole slaw, and a variety of Scandinavian cookies. It's a very pale, white meal!  This year was a bit uncomfortable for us old folks, because it was pouring rain, and everyone was soaked by the time they got parked and walked into the Nordahl Hall.  So it was damp and humid in there, and packed wall to wall with people.  It's always fun, and nice to have a yearly tradition. 

MARY ANN - Sounds like you had a fun day in Holland.  The Holland High Jazz Band, sounds like something we would have enjoyed too.  AJ played trumpet in many jazz bands, swing bands and large orchestras, over the years.  I can imagine that Eleanor and Johanna, are excited about Christmas this year!  They're at a good age to love the decorated tree, and wonder about all the wrapped presents.

JENNY - I can understand why you have changed your mind on buying the condo.  Right now, there is just too much going on in your life, and I know you're
needed to help Dave and Michele.  There are probably other condo's that will become available, or that are now being built, that you can look forward to in the future. An adorable new photo of little Jonah!

JEAN - Lots about Pearl Harbor, online, and in the Facebook groups that I belong to.  All groups dedicated to life in the 1940's, and throughout the War years.  Dozens of members posted pictures of their fathers who served in the war, and other photos taken at military bases.  Lots of pictures of Pearl Harbor.   WE usually watch some of the old War movies on the 7th, but because  we were out last night, we recorded some to watch later.  "From Here To Eternity", is one of my favorites, and the book is good too.

JOY - going to Breakfast with Santa, with your two great granddaughters, will be a fun Christmas outing for you.  I wish I had some little ones to enjoy, but they're all teenagers or older now.  We always go to Bass Pro Shop, over the holidays, and I look forward to seeing their very authentic looking Santa Claus, and watching the little children.  They have a cute little Santa's Village set up there, that the kids seem to love.

Mary Ann

Dot and I had our "usual" and it was good to get back to our routine.  We missed a couple of weeks due to Paula's party and deep snow.  I forgot to wear my ears this morning which was irritating.  I had a hard time hearing but it was my own fault.  When I finish the more important folders, I will nap.  I slept good last night but I had to get up about 7 am.

Marilyn, I would have liked to try lutefisk to see if I liked it.  Norm had a friend with Scandinavian ancestry and I remember being at his house and there was lutefisk there, but I don't remember if I had any or not.  It's too bad about the rain. 

Jenny, I can understand, too, why you're giving up on the condo at this time.  You have too many important things going on and you do not want to take on anything like moving now. 

Jenny, nice picture of Jonah and Sandy, Fe keeps getting cuter all of the time.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Happy Sunday Afternoon to Every Buddy looking in.  I've been to church this chilly morning.  We had lots of Carols sung this morning, a brief sermon, but mostly music.  It was nice for a change.  We have a really good choir and they did a remarkable job with the music today.

Late yesterday afternoon, I was picked up in our Church bus along with other "Ladies" (mostly widows over 80!)  Steve who is our building manager and the husband of our choir director/pianist/organist drove our bus, picked all of us up and took us to their home for a delicious Christmas dinner--complete with wine for those who like it!  (and it looked like almost all of us wanted a glass of wine!)  Our church is especially concerned about those of us who live alone.  This is the second year they have had dinner for we widows.

I hope Every Buddy is in good health and looking forward to some holiday company.  Jane, I'm especially thinking of you at this time of year.  It's always the hardest the first Christmas after your beloved husband's passing.  Hugs and thoughts coming your way!

BTW, as I've probably mentioned, AU finally got rid of the jerk from Iowa who lied about his credentials and who didn't co-operate with the faculty.  This morning Dr. Jay Gogue, our former President who'd retired, has agreed to serve as acting President until a suitable person can be found.  He and wife Susie sit in front of me in Church.  I gave him a thumbs up when they arrived this morning!

I hope Every Buddy is having a nice Sunday afternoon.  Take care Every Buddy.

Sue

Mary Ann

Sue, that is a nice thing for your church to do for widows at Christmastime.  Especially nice for those older who do not drive.   

Our church looked nice this morning with some decorations.  Now I've got to see if I can find some decorations around here.  I asked Tom to find and bring up a background my dad made years ago that has a triangular piece of glass covered by stained glass stuff then framed and I will put my Hummel Mary and Joseph on that.  I do have some old Father Christmases that I will put out too.  I wish I had room for my artificial tree but if I put that up, there would not be enough room for us.

Sue, do you think you will recover enough from your fall so you can drive again?  It is hard living alone with no transportation and I am fortunate that Tom is usually available and I try to not take advantage of his help.  I don't recall hearing about "the jerk" who was at AU but it sounds as if the univ was lucky to get rid of him. 

We were thankful there was not a repeat of last week with the snow.  It has gotten to 45 degrees and we may get rain.  I don't think I have any appointments this week which will be next. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

FOSTERING SCHEDULE UPDATE

JOHN BARTLETT·FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2019·3 MINUTES
I normally don't post foster related stuff here on my own wall but Pages doesn't allow fancy formatting-n-stuff like Notes do.
If you haven't heard, I asked Jessica to marry me while visiting her mom the 3rd of this month.

We've been proactive in finding a location and chose a destination wedding in Pigeon Forge, TN - the Smokey Mountains - a location that has a lot to do & see and easy for most of our families to be able to drive it in a day or less. We will be flying out to check out the venue on the 31st of this month. Very exciting times and we think we've got the perfect location.
My parents moved to Ohio earlier this year and this will be the first Christmas away from her grandkids in over a decade. Chris & I will be flying out to visit over Christmas.
Jessica and I were planning to move her into my home in April but long story short, life tossed us a curve ball and that had to be moved up to mid-December. So now we're rushing to get the lower part of my house prepped for her and her four cats to occupy while we work to integrate our feline overlords.

So with everything happening, it's looking like we won't be able to foster until January. I badly want to foster again but we gotta be smart about it. Depending on how things go, I might be able to foster older kittens in the short term. Jessica & I will be working together as a team to foster. She owns the cat sitting business Whiskers at Home and certified in feline behavior and is no stranger to cats and their many "quirks".
Keep an eye out on The Critter Room for a photo with no text that doesn't seem like it has anything to do with kittens. But it does!

Vanilla-Jackie

I have only recently become a fully fledged member of the Oddfellows ( Lodge ) and attended a church Carol Service yesterday afternoon so I met a small " private " group for my very first time...and yes a handful were very friendly and welcoming, when after the short service we sat at the back where someone was serving a cup of tea and a mince pie....

Oh the church i attended yesterday was a traditional old church, very cold inside and a dangerous concrete step to the loo, but at least they had a loo, many of our churches dont....and sadly hardly anyone sang, so not a lively small congregation service but the male vicar had humour... i of course was sitting alone plus ( feeling very sad and tearful that my Richard for the first time at Christmas was not sitting next to me ) as being new to the group i did not know anyone but after the service i had time to get to know a handful and they were friendly and very helpful ( a couple of the committee - role playing male members who told me what their responsibilities to our society are ) and welcoming to the Odfellows Hand - In - Hand as they are known...they are aware of how way out i live and the problems i may face getting to any of their events - meetings...as no one lives near to me...

Mary Ann

Jackie, I'll have to read up on the Oddfellows Lodge.  I would feel they would be the same in the UK and US.  My two grandfathers both were members of the Oddfellows Lodge.  I thought they were men-only organizations. 

I hope your joining the group gives you some new friends.  If they are aware of your location, as you say, someone may make an effort to pick you up for meetings and such.  It sounds like a step in the right direction for you.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Good morning, Bait and Tacklers.  I've had breakfast, taken my trash cans down to the curb for the trash pick up, but am still not dressed for the day.  I hope everyone looking in here this morning is feeling well and that all will have a nice day.

I need to get dressed and I will spend some time reading one of the new library books I checked out on Friday.  I hope Every Buddy looking in this morning has a nice day!

Sue

Marilyne

Jackie - I also have relatives who were members of the Odd fellow's, or Oddfellows .  It was originally a lodge or club for men only, but eventually it evolved to include women.  One thing they did here in California, that has served them well, was to buy large plots of land in or near resort areas, lakes, beaches, mountains. Then members bought individual lots, and built cabins or houses.  Right after the War, (WW2), my cousin married a young man, who was a member of the Lodge, and his father before him.

They had a lovely mountain style house in Oddfellow's Park, on the Russian River, which is a nice area up in the Redwood country, North of me.  Long story short, my cousin is gone, but her adult children still have the house, and have purchased others, and have moved up there permanently. My brother also bought a place right across the river, and he and his wife raised their family there. 

Oh, the main thing I wanted to say, is that here in Los Gatos, we have the Odd Fellow's Retirement Home.  It was built in the 30's or 40's, for members to live after retirement. Now is open to everyone.  I always hoped to retire there, but obviously we never did.  I'll see if I can find a picture online, and post the link. 

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne - Mary Ann...
...I am ashamed to admit but although the Oddfellows have been going for years, this is the first i have heard of them..anyway i am now one of them...

... I have been google mapping Oddfellows Park on the Russian River...

angelface555

Good morning from a warmer Interior at plus 28 F. Farrah and I are both fed and dressed, at least in my case.

Marilyne, thanks for the Christmas quiz, I placed my two answers.

We had a male-only Odd Fellows Hall built in the early nineteen hundreds after being held in a tent in the early gold rush camp. In 1967, the building was placed in the Historical Register and moved to Pioneer's Park in Alaskaland.

JeanneP

I remember years joining something that was called "Moose Lodge"  I never hear of them anymore.i had just come over from UK. I remember the had some kind of a crazy sign that they gave each other on meeting.
Had a nice building and Iots of things all the time. Great dances on weekends with good bands.
Seems lots of clubs no longer going. I don't think that the younger generation into these kind of things.i never hear of people being in The Mason's either.

JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

Jeanne P...
...one of the men who spoke to me mentioned they are trying to attract some younger members to their group, i told him i am 68 as the group in the church many were looking older than me....

Patricia...
...come to think of it, as now you have jolted my memory, we had an Oddfellows Hall and an Oddfellows Arms pub, back in the town i grew up in...

Denver

Here I am checking in again at a very late hour....

Bob and I did not sleep well at all last night, so we are both more than ready to head off to bed.  Not sure why, but the alarm was set to get us up at 6 so that we could get down to Dave's Home in time for Michele to leave and get to her MRI appointment and the fitting of the mask for her upcoming Gamma Knife procedure this coming Friday.

We took the two youngest ones to their school....one goes within a couple of miles, but the other goes to a school quite a bit further....as we were dropping the furtherest one, the oldest grandson called us and said he was not feeling well so could we pick him up?  Sure glad we did not have anything else scheduled🤣🤣

We picked him up and then went to a breakfast place as we had not had anything and Matt said the school nurse was concerned that he had a blood sugar drop.....he is not a know diabetic, but she felt his symptoms were eluding to that.  He ate a good breakfast and was feeling much better when we took him home.  I sure hope he does not have diabetes. 

JACKIE, I am pleased to read that you have joined the Oddfellows Hand in Hand Group.  Did your neighbor drive you to the church?  I am taken back that churches do not have a loo😩. At least this one has one but it did not sound handicap friendly for you.  I know you are as careful as you can be, but it does not sound very safe for you.  I saw ads on our TV about a new MS drug that you can take twice a year.... https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Treating-MS/Medications/Ocrevus..... I am quite certain it is extremely expensive and ma6 not be available in the UK.  IF only you could get a drug that could help you with this awful disease🙏🙏

I do hope you all have a good night of rest and pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

Jenny, I, too, hope Matt does not have diabetes.  I know it can be controlled, but I hate to see a person his age get it. 

Jackie, you had said it was a "traditional old church" and I wonder if the emphasis is on "old".  I am sure in the "old" days that convenience for handicapped people was not a priority.  I remember in our former church, the "loo" was downstairs and there was only one each for men or women, but only those for the entire church.  There were two levels and you had to walk up to the main floor and sanctuary.  Our present church has two sets of restrooms plus one for the ministers and another for the choir.  And another to accommodate handicapped people. 

I'll be back later when I'm more awake.  We do have a dusting of snow today and radar shows we'll have some all day long.  We're not up to 30 degrees yet.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Good morning, Bait and Tacklers!  It's chilly again here in Auburn, Alabama.  I will be going out at noon to a church member's home.  She is having lunch for a group of us widow ladies.  I don't know who will be picking me up, but I can't go if they forget!

It's chilly here in Auburn today.  I'll have to dig out my heavier winter jacket for the trip to Dibba's home.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy--and try to stay warm!

Sue

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior where we're at plus 27F.

Jackie,JeanneP, We have three lodges here, Elks, Moose, and Lions that are chapters of national organizations. We have some others such as Masonic lodge.

Jenny, that is sad about your grandson. My sister is a diabetic and she's 58.

Not much going on here.

Marilyne

Jenny - Good to see a post from you, but not good that Matt wasn't feeling well, and had to leave school.  I certainly hope that it is nothing more serious than a Winter virus, or upset stomach.  They have enough to deal with right now, with Michele's ongoing treatments. 

Patricia - we have the same group of Lodges and Service clubs here in our town.  I have heard that most of them now consist of older men or women.  Young people or younger family members are not interested in joining those traditional lodges.  The so-called Millennial generation, makes a point of discarding or refusing to participate, in any traditions that were popular for the Baby Boomers, Silent Generation, etc.   They are adamant, in their determination to do everything differently, including the way they raise their children.  (I don't know this from personal experience, but only from what I read or hear about).

JeanneP - Those clubs and lodges from the past, did have lots of social activities that were fun.  I attended many when I was young, like Saturday night dances, Fourth of July Picnics, fashion shows, and Christmas parties. 

Mary Ann - Sounds like your Winter weather has set in for the duration. I can't imagine living with snow, but that's only because I never have.  I'm sure I would adapt and get used to it, just like everyone else. Our weather has been typical for this time of year.  Finally starting to get some rain, with temps dropping into the 30's and 40's at night.  Right now, my temperature gauge says 57 degrees outside, which is comfortable for a winter day.   

Mary Ann

Marilyn, one of my sayings is "you get used to hanging if you hang long enough" and so it would be with snow for you.  You mention rain, then 30 degree temp.  If that would not bring snow, it would bring sleet or freezing rain which is worse than snow.  I haven't looked out but I think we have not had any snow today.  It's just a dreary day.

At almost 3 pm, I finally am able to get to writing checks for my great nephews and nieces for Christmas. Something always got in the way on previous days and I won't have a lot of opportunity today because it's almost time for Robin.  However, the kitchen is a mess and that will take her some time to clean up.  In the meantime, I'll write checks and address envelopes.  Tom will put them in the mailbox tomorrow.

Mary Ann

Amy

MaryAnn, most of our snow has gone. Leaving an icy mess behind. Once the snow comes and stays it doesn't seem to be as cold out.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Mary Ann

Amy, it's 24F out and it's cold.  But I'm inside where I'm warm!

Mary Ann

Amy

Mary Ann, we have a high wind at the moment, you know a lazy wind, the one that would rather go through you as around you! I ,too am staying inside hugging the fire. :thumbup:
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Carolyn

Hello everybody. This year has been a very challenging year for my family. This is in part why I haven't posted for such a long time. My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. Then not long after my DIL was diagnosed with a very aggressive breast cancer. She is still under treatment. My Son in Law was diagnosed recently with a rare form of leukaemia. ( Brooke and Graces Dad) He recently finished intensive chemo. He is recovering from that. He has a bone marrow biopsy in February to see if the cells have been killed and his bone marrow is healthy. Not a curable cancer but it responds to chemo and patients can get long remissions. The year feels like it's all been a bad dream.

Brooke Graduated from Auckland University in September with a Double Major degree. She's heading back next year for Post Grad Study. Grace has had a gap year and starts at Auckland University in March.

Josh graduates in May next year from Uni. Nicolas is training to be an electrician. Liam is in training as a Builder. Trades people here earn very big money. Taine is still at high school but already has a career in place. He will join the Company of a family friend as a cadet. He will study and work at the same time. When he graduates he will work as a Project Manager. The grandkids are growing up so quickly. Some of you will remember when most of them were born.

I have a new grandson. His name is Leo. He is 6 months old. He was born to Graham and his new partner. Graham was on his own for a very long time after divorce. It will be lovely to have a little one at our Christmas Celebrations this year. The youngest of my other grands is 16. I like Grahams partner very much. She is very generous with photos and videos of the new baby.

I hope everyone here is keeping good health. I was very sorry to read about Pats passing on FB. She was the loveliest human being.So many of the old Senior Net have gone. 😢

Looking forward to hearing from old SN friends.

Mary Ann

Hello Carolyn, it is so good to hear from you.  Many times people have asked about you.  You have such sad news and I am very sorry to hear about your family's ills.  Please keep coming back here because we have missed you.  You're right, we have lost several long-time members. 

You may remember me as Norm's sister.  Norm died in 2015.  One of his sons lives with me.  Norm is missing out on six great-grandchildren.

It is good to hear about Brooke and Grace; I remember them as young children, although I seem to remember Brooke graduating from high school (or your equivalent).

Mary Ann