Random Image

Sunday Drive

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomereader1

Hope I didn't take up too much space, and I also forgot to make the Font bigger, sorry.

Mary Ann

Tomereader, I could read your font OK and I'm one of those who require larger type and bold print. 

Happy Birthday, belated, are you now 80 or 81?  I was both of those ages many years ago.

I have never had black-eyed peas on any day that I know of and I don't think I have had a lack of good luck, so don't worry this year about not having had them.  I don't think I've ever had Braunschweiger/liverwurst either.  I like tasty foods, but not spicy.

You mention Larry H having medical problems; he passed away last fall.  The one other than Frankie having problems is Lloyd H who will have open heart surgery soon. 

I'm happy to see a few more minutes of daylight now.  It is just past 5:30 and last week it was dark after 5 pm.  I live in Michigan, so we may be different from other parts of the country.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a zero degree Interior where we usually expect a very low minus temperature. On the 31st, the internet went out here and didn't come back until late in the evening. Then today, I've been redoing a lot of affected stuff. So, I'll take this time to wish everyone

NY14.jpg

And my thoughts on short posts? why not just use a hand waving gif? To stay in contact, it helps to be friendly; otherwise, it's a two-line chat forum.

I also love liverwurst, braunschweiger sandwich but my take is with spicy mustard on rye or a thick 12-grain slice of bread.

Amy

Tomereader, I love liverwurst on fresh bread with mayo and homemade hot mustard. 

Mary Ann, it ended up being two people that were wind surfing. Looks like fun to do!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

CallieOK

I thought I posted yesterday but it's nowhere to be found.

Mary Ann,  I had commented on your "nothing to do" remark by saying I had "given myself permission" to do nothing all day.  Almost made it but had to take the trash out and didn't think the neighbors would appreciate me doing that in gown/robe at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Sue,  I also commented that I had seen "Little Women" while the family was in Wisconsin.  With no children around, the six adults slept in on Christmas morning and then had brunch of the eggs/cheese/sausage casserole, fruit and sweet rolls.
Then we went to our "movie of choice". Dil, the two granddaughters and I chose "Little Women".  Son/grandson saw the new Adam Sandler movie - about which I know nothing...and don't care to!
After the movies, son fixed steak and baked potatoes at our AirB&B condo.  We had "left-overs" for side dishes because we were leaving the next day.

I thought the adaptation of "Little Women" to emphasize women's ability to function independently was very well written.  Nothing was left out of the story - just a "change of tone" in how things played out.  I did think the actress portraying Beth was a bit old to be shown feeding her doll - and would have preferred Laura Dern in a more "Victorian" hairstyle.  Minor points.  Major point is I liked it and highly recommend it.

Marilyne,  Ellen says some of the people who show up in the morning for the Times Square New Year's Eve actualy wear diapers!!!!!  She won't go near the place on an ordinary day....much less on a holiday!

Patricia.  I also love Maxine!!!!

ShirleyN,  how nice to cyber-see you and learn that you're doing well.  Hope you'll be back in on a regular basis.

Jackie, my Dad and my husband both died during the first week of January - not the same year. I have learned to turn remembrance time into pleasant memories rather than mournful grieving. I know it will be hard  but I lovingly hope you will be able to move in that direction during the coming year.  Love and prayers, dear friend.

Because we were gone, I didn't put out a lot of Christmas things.  So I was able to get them all into the guest bedroom before the housekeeper came to clean today.
Now if I can just resist procrastinating (by shutting the door?), I should be able to get them into their storage places...oh, maybe by the next time she comes???? 

Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year - and New Decade - to Everyfriend.

angelface555

Tomereader1

Another point I was going to make, and I know all you great cooks will think I'm silly (or lazy).  I had forgotten how great "real oatmeal" tastes!  I've gotten so used to doing the instant, microwave stuff that I hadn't made any in quite awhile. But the other night (I wanted some for supper) I made a medium sized saucepan of real oatmeal with apricots, and I was stunned at the deliciousness of it.  It was the steel cut oatmeal, which is popular now.  I had plenty left to reheat and have for breakfast next day.

Marilyne

Tome - Sounds like your New Years Eve was extra special, with Happy Birthday songs from your daughters.   Happy Birthday, from me too!   Thanks for reminding me of Braunschweiger/liverwurst.  It's been a long time, and the sandwich you described, makes me remember the old days, when my Dad, made those same sandwiches for lunch on Saturdays.  Along with plenty of dill pickles.  I have a weakness for Underwood Deviled Ham.  I know . . . it's way too greasy and salty, but so good! I love the picture of the Red Devil on the can, wielding his pitchfork!
Good to see you posting here, and hope you come back often.  :) 

Vanilla-Jackie

Callie...
...let us just say..." i feel better now we have moved away from last year..."
" There is no present like the time "

MarsGal

I like my Braunschweiger/liverwurst on rye (the seeded kind) with tomato and mayo. Not real fond of oatmeal, not even the instant, but I do eat it once in a while, and I use it when I make meatloaf rather than bread crumbs.

Patricia, I adore Maxine.

Looks lile we are in for a few days of rain and possibly some snow showers. It is 38o now and may hit 50o this afternoon.

shirleyn

Good morning y'all! 

Mary Ann, nice to hear of Tom's weight loss.  Thru my chemo, I lost 20 lbs., but have gained 10 back.  The loss showed up in my upper body (shoulders/arms/bust), so I looked like a pear, all the weight being in my lower hips & tummy, with skinny legs, a real beauty queen.  ;)

Amy, I am all thru with the chemo, last threatment was last April.  It just took me 6 months to get back to my old self.  And, yes, I did sleep a lot.  Whew, so glad that is over.

Marilyne, yep, no search party is necessary.  ;)  My hubby also wonders about all those people & where they would go for bathrooms.  And I,too, have lost some friends this past year.  Two of my closest friends past, as well as their husbands.  That is the bad thing about getting old (well, one of them), is outliving one's friends.

Tomereader, I also love braunsweiger on white bread & slathered with mayo.  I haven't had it in a while, so I must remember to get it the next time I am at the store.

A special "hi" to Angelface, Callie, Jackie and MarsGal.  And now it is time for breakfast, which consists of the old fashioned oatmeal, sprinkled with cinnamon, a little syrup and a handful of raisins.  I hope you all have a good day.

shirleyn

(~_~)

Tomereader1

Sherleyn, I used to be able to find the braunschweiger by Jones Farms, already individually sliced, which is handier, but my grocery just stocks the roll, and you have to cut off what you want.  Some reason, I always cut too thick (lol). ;) I put cinnamon/sugar on my oatmeal too. Sometimes with prunes, ya know!  Raisins good too!

Joy

Sure has been slow here the past couple days.

I am another one who loves Braunsweiger.  I like it on plain white bread with mustard and sliced sweet pickles.  Wal-Mart still sells the Jones brand, but sometimes I get it at the Deli counter and they will slice it for you.  It is a bigger slice than the kind that comes in the roll.  I like to spread it out a little bit.  That used to be my favorite lunch when I was in school.  I am waiting for some hard-boiled eggs to cool, so I can make some egg salad for a sandwich.

I am thinking about a baked potato with broccoli and melted cheddar cheese for my dinner.  I don't seem to have much of an appetite lately.  Too much trouble to fix anything.

I just wrote an e-mail to Jack from W Va. to see how he is doing.  I told him that everyone still misses him and his beautiful pictures of his dog and of the Oglebay Park where he would walk every day.  Wheb I hear back from him,  I will share his message.  I had always wanted to go visit Oglebay and catch up with him.  It is only about a 4 or 5 hour ride from me,  but I never had a way to go.  Just a beautiful place !!

Hope everyone has a good afternoon.  Off to fix my egg salad.  Then, will probably sneak in a nap.

Joy
BIG BOX

Tomereader1

Joy, I was thinking of a baked potato for supper, with everything, but maybe not broccoli this time.  Can I come over to your house for some egg salad?  I love that, but don't make it often.  I like everybody else's egg salad better than mine. I am just so relieved that several people in here like the braunschweiger. I've never tried it on Rye, or with mustard (hot or mild).  Will have to broaden my horizons!  Have a good day, everyone.

maryc

I see that I've been missing out on the newsy little chatting going on here.  I guess the name Norm's Bait and Tackle had me thinking  something other than this.  FlaJean waved me over... thanks Jean!

I have to smile at the interest in liverwurst.  My husband did like it and some of the kids still do.  Debby says that she remembers going to grandma's house for lunch and having liverwurst sandwiches and orange pop!  😊 We didn't have much pop at home so that was a treat. That would have been almost 60 years ago.. It made quite an impression and she still indulges in liverwurst once in a while. Thanks for the memories!
Mary C

Mary Ann

MaryC, Welcome to Norm's Bait & Tackle.  If you don't know, I am Norm's sister.  He died in 2015.  I remember you from other folders, maybe the knitting folder? 

We cover subjects from soup to nuts, sometimes we write books, other times a word or two.  Keep coming back and you'll find a lot about us - and we'll find out about you.

Mary Ann

maryc

Hello Mary Ann, Thanks for the warm welcome.  I am Mary Alice but that is a middle name mostly used by my mother.😊  I do remember you from knitting and from gardening...remember Nat from Toronto who grew the orchids?  You and  I share a similar climate near the Great Lakes.
Mary C

Beverly

I just caught up on all the messages. Thanks to those who were wondering about me! December wasn't a good month here and I didn't do much on the computer. After Michael and Jennifer (son and DIL) left I had a UTI. The doctor put me on an antibiotic which raised havoc with my intestinal system. I won't go into details......not a pretty picture. It has taken me weeks to get back to somewhat normal. Along with the fatigue and weakness I have with my other problems, I haven't been able to do much. I sleep a lot. In the middle of it all Chape had bronchitis. He's doing much better now.

Your liverwurst discussion got my attention. I love a liverwurst sandwich with mayo and a slice of red onion. Haven't had one for a long time. I've been making egg salad sandwiches with a good quality hot dog bun. My egg salad is just chopped up egg, mayo, salt and pepper (with maybe a little mustard added). I don't worry about fat or calories as I'm trying to gain a few pounds. Been too long with no appetite!

Marilyne - When my kids were little they loved deviled ham sandwiches with tomato soup. It's about all my son would eat for lunch. Today he wouldn't even want it in the house!  :)

Welcome MaryC!

Now that I've mentioned all the bad things that have gone on for the past month, tomorrow I'll try to post some of the good things!

A belated Happy New Year to all!

FlaJean

I am late checking in today.  It seems I have been busier than usual today.

MaryC, so glad you found us.  We had sun this morning and the temp. Got up to 75F, but later in the afternoon we had some rain and it got a little chilly.

I baked a Perdue whole chicken today.  It is so good.  We'll have plenty of leftovers so I won't have to do any cooking for a couple of days.  I've been in more of a cooking mood lately.  We did have a turkey for Christmas but I sent most of it home with my daughter.  I felt so tired for a couple of days and we ate a couple of TV dinners.  My husband was really happy with that chicken dinner today.

Joy, I hope you are feeling better.  Beverly, it is good to see your post and I'm glad you are feeling better.

I hope 2020 will be a better year for all of us.  So much bad news on the TV I had to turn it off and read a book.

Joy

Good Saturday morning.

It is a dreary, drizzly morning  I see I am the first here this morning.

MaryC.  So nice to see a new face here this morning. Please come back often. We are a chatty bunch, so don't be shy ! Just chat away !!  Always so nice to welcome a new friend.

Jean, I am feeling better.  I had some minor surgery on  my face for basal cell cancer spots and then the doctor gave ne some cream for some sun damage on my nose and that really did a job on my nose.  I had to use it for 4 weeks and I looked like I had been in the war. Really bothered me a lot. I did not go out of my apartment.  It is starting to clear up and I am feeling better. I was supposed to go to a family party today, but just not up to it. 

Beverly, I can certainly relate to your UTI's.  I was dealing with the same thing for almost a year, off and on. I have been on a low-maintenance drug for about 6 months now, and so far so good.  I go back to the urologist in March.  I sure hope you will soon be free of that bothersome condition .

I wanted to let you know that I sent a message to Jack from W.Va just to say Hi.  He wrote back that he is doing very well for being 89 years old and seems to be in good health. He and his "buddy", Mimi, still take their walks in Oglebay Park just about every day that is nice.  He doesn't drive to his daughter's in Virginia anymore, but keeps active.  He is still in his house and plans to stay there, at least for a few more years.  However, he doesn't have any plans to return to our little group. I told him the group is dwindling, and we all still miss his wonderful pictures.  Just don't think we will hear anything from him.  He said he can't get into the site anymore and doesn't plan on re-joining.  He certainly is missed, but happy he is still doing well.

Hope everyone will have a good Saturday.

Joy
BIG BOX

shirleyn

Good morning to all!  Not enough time this morning for a long message, so I will just say "hi" and a welcome to MaryC (where do you live?  I am from Port Huron MI, but live in Florida now). 

Hoping you all have a good day.

shirleyn
(~_~)

SCFSue

Good morning to every Bait and Tackler looking in this morning.  We had rain last night in Auburn, but it has cleaned up this morning and I'll go out for my usual daily walk shortly.  I hope Every One looking in will have a nice Saturday.

Not much else to report here, so I'll get my rain jacket out and get myself uphill and then down for my daily walk.  Have a nice day, Every One.

Sue

Mary Ann

It was good to read so many messages this morning.  I stayed in bed until nearly 9 am then showered and shampooed and I'm drying off now. 

Radar looks like a dreary day, maybe some snow.  But that's Michigan!

Tom asked if I wanted to go out for breakfast or lunch and I chose lunch.  I'm not dressed yet and I thought I'd rather go later.  After lunch, he'll go to Holland to see the twins and Mary. 

I had a funny thing with my TV for a couple of days and Tom fixed it last night.  All of a sudden I had no picture on some channels and "still" pictures on others.  The sound was fine so I could listen to my music channel as if I was listening to a radio.  Tom disconnected the cables to the TV, left them off for a few minutes, then connected them again.  Everything worked as it should.  He said if it happened again, I should be able to manage things, only they're probably up too high.  As far as I'm concerned, it had better not happen again.

MaryC, someone asked where you live; do i remember you live in New York State?  Yes, we have similar weather and if we don't have it the same day, probably you have it the next day. 

Mary Ann

FlaJean

I was late yesterday and today I'm early.  The sun is shining on a chilly day.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, Joy.  So far I haven't had any problems with skin cancer, but Larry has had several cut out.  He used to see the dermatologist every six months but now it is every year.  When we lived in Ocala, we had a half acre and he started hiring a yard man.  Now we have just a small yard and our son-in-law does the yard during the growing season.
Nice to hear that Jack is doing well and that he and Mimi are still going to the park.  Yes, I miss his photos also.  I still hear from Sato several times a week.

It is a slow day.  I have a cookie mix from Betty Crocker (oatmeal chocolate chip) so I think I will go get busy.

Have a good day.  I enjoy all your posts.

angelface555

Good morning from an ice fog-filled COLD Interior! Last weekend we had zero, but this is January! Ice fog comes from all the frozen car exhaust in the air, and you have to plug in your car for twenty minutes in the morning, so your engine block doesn't freeze.

Also, most employers have plugins for their employees. These keep your block heater going and prevent square,(frozen); tires. Back in the seventies and earlier, you could expect two weeks of minus thirty and sometimes minus sixties in January and February. Nowadays it's perhaps one or two days of minus thirties but not always.

I found this car advice from way back then to newcomers, "Winterize it, so the antifreeze/water ratio is good for around -65 degrees (the instructions are on the container's label, only if the antifreeze is not pre-mixed), plus a block heater, battery heater, and oil pan heater. If your car is under warranty, take it to the local dealer, and they will winterize it for you for around $350.00 (Subaru).

Automobiles not under warranty I do myself for around $150.00 or less (block heater $40.00, battery heater $20.00, oil pan heater $16.00, extension cord $12.00, electrical box plus outlets plus a short extension cord $25.00). If the antifreeze is already mixed, that could be a problem since these are usually mixed at a ratio of 50/50m, which in turn is only good for -50.
When your car is parked outside your apartment, or in the parking lot at work, it's plugged into an electrical outlet, and this keeps fluids and the battery from freezing. If you are driving on the road, the motor keeps the same fluids and battery warm, and the car's heater/blower keeps you warm, That's all there is to it."

Farrah and I are staying snug and warm. She made me laugh this morning as I play charged her growling, and she rolled over on her back with all four legs in the air! She knows she can get a good tummy scratch when she does this. I just thought how far she's come and now if I could find a way to get that stubborn weight of her's off.

She's not very active, no longer plays with toys, so she isn't losing more weight. She gets a one-half cup of IAMS weight loss kibble each day and still leaves some leftovers, so she's not hungry. I wish we were allowed two cats, so she had someone to play with and keep her active! If I got down on the floor these days, I'd never be able to get back up again!

Today I have my federal commodities one box food delivery for a shut-in and my laundry but otherwise a quiet day. Yesterday, it was on the bus to two stores, and after groceries, a half-hour wait for a taxi. In busy winter times or extreme cold, this is a necessary evil.

I still need to go back out for my forgotten laundry coins and cat litter, but that can wait for a warmer day. I pity those working and facing scheduling personal errands and bus schedules as I used to do. I should again mention this is a dry, not a wet cold and a good once a year freeze kills all the nasty creepy crawlers like gypsy moths, ticks and that type who might have made it up in someone's car, freight or luggage!

Hello to MaryC! Have you posted in Bosom Buddies?

Jean, your cookies sound good to me! I have a two-gallon bag of dried cranberries and the same of dried cherries from a friend but need some inspiration.

I hope everyone is staying warm and healthy and cozy these winter days!

Marilyne

Good Morning everyone!  Good to see some new faces, as well as a few of our old members, who are back with us again.

Maryc - Welcome to B&T!  Seems that most of our members, (old and new) are located in the Eastern states now, so you're in the same time zone as the majority of those who post here.  Then we have three or four  in the Central Zone, one in Mountain, and wjoan and I,  are the only two in Pacific Zone.   Patricia, (Angelface), is all by herself in the Alaska zone.

Beverly - Sorry to hear that you were not feeling well over the Christmas holidays.  UTI's are something I fear, because I have serious reactions to most of the antibiotics that the doctors want to prescribe. The last time I had a UTI, the reactions to three different pills, that was worse than the illness itself.  I dread getting another one, because I don't know what's left for me to take?   I now try to drink lots of water and cranberry juice, in hopes of fending off another UTI.  It's a big problem for older women!   Also, sorry that Chape has been sick also, but better now.   Let us know how Donna, is doing?

Shirleyn - It must be nice in Florida right now.  Wish I could visit you and Jean, during these cold Winter months here, but my traveling days are long long gone.  it's a big deal for me to visit my sister-in-law, who only lives 75 miles away!

Joy - I know exactly how you look, after having those basal sell cancers removed from your face!  My husband AJ, has them removed a couple of times a year, and I know how bad they look  for a couple of weeks.  It's definitely not a pretty sight! ha ha  ::) The good part is that they do heal over eventually, and the skin is nicer than before.

Mary Ann - Glad your TV is back to normal.  We've had to do the unplugging and replugging a number of times, when we get the "frozen" picture.  It always works.   The problem is trying to get down there on the floor to the outlet!  Out of the question for me to do, but AJ is still very flexible and can always manage. 

I hope we hear from Jenny, soon, that everything is OK in Colorado?         

Sandy

Good afternoon Everyone !

And here we are a few steps into
2020.   I am so glad to see it is
here.    2019 really sucked, IMHO. 
Looking for 2020 to be a better year. 

I need to contemplate my weight gain,
and decide how I am going to remove it. 

Always the same issues with food.
I can loose the weight, I just need
to stick to the plan.   A couple more
weeks and I will tackle this.   
(Oh whoa !)

Hoping everyone is doing
well or at least better. 

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Denver

GOOD MORNING, MARILYNE and ALL....Just checking in from the Mountain Zone 🦌🦌🦌.

So happy to see all of the posts and read what you all have been up to. 

Welcome MARYC. Nice to see you are joining us here in this wonderful folder.  I am in Colorado and I think I read you are in New York State? Look forward to learning more about you.

BEVERLY, I am sorry to read that you were under the weather, but do hope you are feeling much better now.

SHIRLEY, good to see you are coming in regularly....love keeping up with you and Danny Boy! 

JOY, thank you for the update on JACK.  I am sad that he will no longer be a part of our groups😩

PATRICIA, I love the news that you post, but your cold temperatures and issues that come along with it are not to my liking😘. I love my home state, but the cold weather part of it I do not.  Sorry to read that Farrah has slowed down some on her playing and therefore not loosing more of the weight.  I, too, would like to have a playmate for my Smokey, but we just can not have two kitties at this time. 

I have been keeping pretty busy, but I am not sure exactly what, but the days have been passing quickly.  We still have not taken down our Christmas Deco's..... I have to admit that I still enjoy the lights and I dread putting it away, as I need to really minimize what I am going to keep and I have a BIG problem making those decisions😩😘

I hope everyone will enjoy their Saturday.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

It's a decent day in Grand Rapids, meaning so-so.  The temp is only 33, but it is dry out.  Tom and I just returned from lunch at THE SCORE and I had a Stacker sandwich.  I had hoped they'd have a mushroom burger but they did not, so I settled on a sandwich.  After years of being a no-no, bacon seems to be in every sandwich or burger.  I am not too fond of bacon,  but I don't let it keep me from betting any particular sandwich if that is what I want.  Now Tom is headed for Holland MI and I am watching golf.  I don't know where they're playing, but it is raining.

Jenny, I haven't taken down my Christmas things, but I didn't have many up.  ]\\

Before we left for lunch, I looked at the Soo Locks and Paul was going through.  I never saw the front of end of the ship in the time I watched.  In a week the Soo will shut down for the winter until the end of March.  I hope that two months goes as fast this year as it did last year.

Kendrick is sleeping the sleep of the just.  I, too, wish he had a playmate, but I am not about to get a second cat - not at my age!

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

WOW!  At about 5 pm (ET) I hit the jackpot at Marine City - Calumet was southbound and Mesabi Miner and Manitoulin were northbound at the same time and met in Marine City.  I've seen two ships passing each other, but three ships?  Not often.  It just happens I was in the right place at the right time.  It won't be long before it is too dark to watch the ships today.

Mary Ann