Random Image

flag

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:28:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

When you're on a plane, breathing in that continuously recirculated, pressurized cabin air, you can expect to pick up someone's bug or virus. Yesterday in Safeway, I stopped in the bathroom because that's what old people do. They see a bathroom and think, "I may as well while I'm here..." Anyway, I started sneezing, and then the left ear and left side of my face blocked. I still have that today and Sudafed is my new best friend. I don't know if I need to get out more or stay away.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I never thought of the ills you could pick up by going to a public restroom, but now I can see how.  I seldom use the public restrooms and I guess I will avoid them as much as I can.  I knew about the recycled airplane air and it did not bother me, at least that I can remember.  I am done flying unless there is an emergency, 

I hope you recover soon - very soon!

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

Pat  ---  About that "Sudafed".  Are you getting the original Sudafed or their updated/replacement Sudafed?
Original = pseudoephedrine HCl,
Updated  = phenylephrine HCI
I find the original pseudoephedrine HCl better but it was restricted after the authorities found some people were using it to create an illegal drug. Around here you must sign for it and the amount you get/buy is tracked.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Beverly

Shirleyn- Nice to see you posting again!

December brought some good things, too. Donna finished with chemo and now is waiting to have a PET scan to see if the Hodgkins lymphoma is gone. She's been feeling better with more energy every day.

Michael did several big projects around the house for us. He and Jennifer did some serious house shopping while they were here. He now has a good idea of the type and size of house they want. When they left he announced they will be back in the Spring to buy a house! For now it will be a seasonal home. They still have their home in Vermont and an apartment house to take care of. I am really looking forward to seeing them more often.

Granddaughter Erin, her husband and 10 year old, Brody, were in Florida to visit her stepson (he's in college) who was in Jupiter, Florida visiting his mother. On their way back they stopped here for an overnight visit.

A week ago our granddaughters Brynn and Shea (sisters) spent a few days with us. Then went to Disney Springs for several days. They left the men in their lives (Brynn is married) back home.  :)  They're such fun to have around.

This is the first time in 61 years that we didn't have a Christmas tree. Our only decorations were my Nativity Scene and an artificial wreath on the front door! Since we were both sick over Christmas, our next door neighbor brought us a complete Christmas dinner. Can't tell you how much we appreciated it!  We spent most of the day talking and texting with our family.

It rained a lot this morning but cleared up later. Temp outside tonight is 62.

Mary Ann

It's good to see two of our Floridians post the same day.  I hope both of you will be able to post more often.  FlaJean does a very good job. 

I was about to retire, but decided to come here to see if anyone posted.  Beverly, I'm happy to see Donna is finished with her chemo.  How nice for you that Jennifer and Michael will be buying a house so one more family member will be near you. 

I think more people are doing away with Christmas trees unless they have little children in the family.  Tom's son, James, had a small tree on a table in a corner with orders to the twins the trees were "Hands off".  At nearly three, they were able to understand.  I haven't had a tree for years, especially when I was alone.  I still have the tree and one of these years, I'll give it to someone.  Unfortunately, no one lives close!

I think I'll clean up the kitchen a bit, then head for bed.

Mary Ann

Beverly

I posted a picture of the Disney fans (Brynn and Shea) over in "Photos"

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior, where it is minus thirty-five with a minus forty-four expected at the weekend. Since we missed that last weekend, I'm hoping the same happens again! I think the head cold came from the crowded bus I rode to the shopping center, and the symptoms manifested after I got off the bus and was in the bathroom. Although public restrooms can be nasty.

Rick, I lied. I think saying Sudafed is a generic term for me, and yes, I remember signing for it with an ID some years ago with strep throat. What I am using is Vicks DayQuil LiquiCaps. The package says acetaminophen, Dextromenphen, and Phenylephrine HCI.

If I don't take it every four to five hours and in the morning, my head gets replugged. Last night I was wondering at the mechanics of it all. How does the drug work to unblock my congestion, and why doesn't it work longer and faster? I have a magpie brain, and tidbits like that are bright and shiny to it.  ::)

Farrah has been very demanding the past few days. She's bored and wants attention,  needs a mini-computer of her own, doesn't she?  :thumbup:

The days are black with only three hours of daylight presently (No window on the world), and she doesn't play with toys. She wants me to play with her or, more likely, to scratch her belly. And that involves getting, down to the carpet, and back up again. Two feats of agility that aren't that easy anymore.

Marilyne

So nice to see so many messages here yesterday!  All the regulars, plus a few newbies, and those who have been missing for a while.

Beverly -  Your granddaughters, Brynn and Shea, are such pretty young women.  Oh, to have a beautiful flawless complexion like those two have!  Didn't have a nice one when I was young, and certainly not now! :P     I'll have to look up Disney Springs, and see what it is?  Sounds like a resort?   
Also, good to hear that Donna, is feeling well.  I hope that the Pet Scan will show that everything is looking good.  Nice that you had so many different family visits over Christmas. 

Rick and Patricia - I use the over-the-counter cold and allergy med called, Coricidin HBP, which is recommended for people with high blood presure.  It doesn't have either of those ingredients that you mentioned.  No wonder it doesn't work! Ha ha

Patricia - Public bathrooms are a necessary evil!  When you need one,  you're grateful they are available, but I know I always feel germ-laden after I use one.   Here in California, it's a law that they must provide disposable seat covers, so that's good, but as you ladies know, they always slip out of place.   Usually plenty of hand washing facilities, with soap and paper towels, etc.  Still, I always feel like I've been breathing foul and tainted air in those small enclosed spaces.  Well, that's more than anyone wanted to know, so I will say no more!  ::) 

Jenny - Good to hear from you, and sounds like everything is running smoothly in your family.  I hope Michele continues to feel reasonably well, and that your Dad is also okay?  Keep us posted on how everyone is doing. 

Yesterday, our son and dil came over and brought us a big container of manicotti, that she had made!    I love to eat and cook Italian food of all kinds, (Even though I am not Italian), and in the past, used to make all kinds of pasta dishes.  Manicotti, is the only one that I never tried to prepare, so this was a real treat for me.  Plenty left for tonight  also.

Mary Ann - No message from you yet today?  I hope you had a nice brunch today with Dot,  at the Cholesterol Pit?  I've been neglecting the ship watching, and now it's almost too late, so I hope to see a few of them today?

Patricia -  P.S., let me know what you did with the dried cherries?  Someone gave me a bag for Christmas, and I have no idea what to do with them?   

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I got up in time this morning to get ready for church.  Dot picked me up at 9:30.   She thought we had more than usual in church and I thought we did not.  She had an advantage because she can see the whole congregation and I do not (we do not sit together).  Afterward, we did go to the Cholesterol Pit for our usual.  We had honest-to-gosh Coconut Cream Pie along with our Tuna Melt this morning.  I really don't care what kind of pie we have but I prefer cream pies which Dot does pick out.  We left the restaurant for home about 12:30 and Tom was home when we got to my place.  Very unusual but he had come home directly after church and was fixing and eating his brunch when I arrived.  I computed a bit but no one had posted here so I didn't either.  About 2 pm I headed for a nap and woke about 3 pm.  About that time, I heard Tom coming upstairs, ready to leave.  He told me where he was going and that he was late so he left and I watched a little golf but came here about 15 minutes ago.  There you have My Day!

I saw something on the Boat Channel that was interesting, but I had to go on Rewind to see and hear it.  I had read the chat and they mentioned a double salute.  I knew Paul had gone through because I caught the north end as he went south.  I went back to 12:15 ET and got Paul then saw another ship coming north.  It was the Oberstar and they both are part of the same company.  As Paul entered the Marine City area, the ship gave a salute and when the two ships were almost even with each other, they saluted again.  I see lots of ships pass each other in Marine City, but usually there is no salute.  The chatters were thrilled.

Patricia, I used to take Sudafed daily and I think it was to counteract my allergies.  When I went to a doctor for something or other, he told me Sudafed contributed to my high blood pressure.  So I quit taking it (doctor's orders) and that probably is when I started BP medicine.  I don't know if it was the "pure" Sudafed or not, but I suspect it was because it was a long time ago.  Anyway, for whatever reason I took it, my problem is no longer with me.  I do have allergies, but they are not obvious.

I now am enjoying the Light Classical Music Choice.

Mary Ann

Sandy

I use Afrin when I have a stuffy nose. 

I use it in both nostrils for a few
days and then I only use in in one nostril,
at a time,  until I can stop using it 
 all together...

This prevents me from using it too long so
my nose doesn't get  too stuffed up from over use. 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, I used to take Afrin and I would use it in only one nostril at a time.  I haven't used a nose spray for a long time but I remember I was told to use a saline spray.  I do feel I have sinus drainage because I blow my nose often, but when I asked my doctor about it, he said I don't have sinus drainage and gave it a name which I don't remember.  Other than that I think I'm in fairly good health for an old lady. 

I had something stupid come up after I got home from church.  I came into the computer room and heard a hum and couldn't locate it.  If I raised up, the hum left and was more noticeable when I was leaning over or sitting down.  Tom came in a said he heard nothing at all.  I took out my hearing aids and heard nothing, put them back in and had the hum.  It dawned on me I had set the aids for the "loop" at church and had not changed them, I reset them and the hum was gone.  These new-fangled things they sell these days!  The "loop" is to make it easier to hear in church or crowded places.  I'll have to remember to turn it off.

Mary Ann

maryc

Mary Ann,  Your comments about your hearing aids make me think of how I turn my phone off when I go to church and then forget to turn the volume back up and wonder why I miss phone calls. ::)
Mary C

Mary Ann

Mary, I used to say that I was keeping up with technology, after all I introduced six people to computers and I had been able to keep up with them for some time.  But by now, technology has outpaced me and it makes me do things I'm not accustomed to doing - like turning the "loop" off on the hearing aids.  Getting old is not for sissies!

Mary Ann

FlaJean

It was chilly this morning but finally reached 60 degrees by this afternoon.  Now it is getting cold again.☹️

I got my cookies made yesterday.  Made from a Betty Crocker mix but they taste pretty good to me.  I took a bagful to Gigi and Jeff when we went over to look at their new bedroom furniture.  I love her new furniture.  They are real happy with it.  We bought our bedroom furniture almost 50 years ago when maple furniture was popular, but we're still happy with it.  Although we moved several times, it still looks almost new.

I've been busy today making birthday and anniversary cards (on the computer)—-just for our immediate family.  We have 4 birthdays and 2 anniversaries in Feb.

When Larry and I first got married, he used to love soup made from mashed potatoes.  I thought that sounded yucky.  Now I'm the one that takes the mashed potatoes and makes potato soup (which I am going to do in a few minutes with some left over from our roast chicken dinner).  His taste has changed over the years.

I hope everyone had a good day.  Loved reading all the posts.

angelface555

Marilyne, I still have the dried cherries and dried cranberries. No one posted any recipes and or suggestions but I'm thinking cookies, quick breads or small amounts in hot oatmeal. Speaking of which, I've seen those recipes for overnight refrigerated oats. That sounds ghastly to me, cold oatmeal?  :o 

Recipes for dried cherries

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=recipes+for+dried+cherries&t=ffab&ia=recipes

Recipes for dried cranberries

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=recipes+for+dried+cranberries&t=ffab&ia=recipes

angelface555

Mary Ann

Jean, my dad added on to our house in 1947 - two rooms, one up, one down, and half bath down.  My folks had been talking about it for a while, then my mother died.  I had a bedroom, but Norm slept in Dad's bedroom.  In 1945, Dad's mother had come to live with us and she slept on a studio couch in the dining room, thus the necessity of more room.  At that time, I bought a 5-piece bedroom outfit, so it is now 72 years old.  I still like it and have never wanted to change.  It is dark cherry. 

Mary Ann

Beverly

It's down to 48 tonight. So much for the warm spell we had recently.

I use the regular Sudafed and have to sign for it. I found that the Sudafed HCI works like a placebo on me. I only take it when I have a sinus headache or during the night when my nose stuffs up so much I can't breathe. I stay away from most cold medicines because they make me feel drowsy and "loopy".

Most of my afternoon was spent searching on Ancestry.com and talking on the phone with Donna. We can talk for hours about genealogy and related searches.  :)

Jean - With my lack of appetite I've found I like creamy soups. I have a bag of russet potatoes so I'll try to make some this week. I don't care for canned soups but do like the YES brand tomato carrot bisque. It's made by the Campbell company.

Mary Ann - I'm smiling over the hum you couldn't locate.  :)  My bedroom set is also cherry and about 30 years old. I have no desire to change it, but it does show dust!!

Marilyne - Yes, Disney Springs is a resort. Shea spent several years as a hairdresser and make-up artist so there is probably some make-up involved. I haven't felt well enough for a few months to go to the hairdresser's so when they were here Shea cut my hair. She did a great job. Wish she lived closer.  :)

Our family has been blessed with a happy event. Chape's youngest sister became the great-grandmother of twin girls, born in Vermont. Both of them weighed over 5 lb. They've already posted pictures on Facebook.

Beverly

Patricia - My daughter cooks steel cut oats the night before (It takes awhile to cook), puts it in the refrigerator and warms it up in the microwave the next morning. It's a quick and easy breakfast before going to work.

Mary Ann

Beverly and Patricia, I think the Sudafed I used was OTC because I did not have to sign for it.  I will say that it is more than 20 years ago that I stopped taking it, so maybe signing wasn't necessary then, and again, it may not have been the stronger variety.

I had an interesting (to me) thing happen with Actifed.  Usually allergy meds would put me to sleep.  A doctor recommended Actifed for whatever was bothering me.  So I took my first Actifed and laid down on the couch for it to take effect.  It did its thing but I was wide awake.  Turned out it was the opposite of allergy meds that made me drowsy.  I don't take either of those meds, nor do I take allergy meds.  I take plenty of pill for other things, however.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

I'm a little late in here this morning and have to leave shortly, but just wanted you to know, Mary Ann. that I did see the double salute at the time it happened. What a delight. Later, in early evening, I checked out the webcams and found Port Huron in almost a whiteout snow squall. I could barely see the lights and flares across the river from the BoatNerd cam. It didn't last long, because when I checked back a little later, it had stopped with only a little snow laying on the ground.

Catch you all later.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, I'm glad you saw and heard the double salute.  I was so hoping someone had seen it.  I had to rewind to get it, but it was something unusual.  Heck, most of the ships don't salute at all.  I read where one chatter knows a couple of people on two ships and he is going to contact them about a salute the next time through.  Too bad the season is almost over.

Mary Ann

Amy

Just wanted to let everyone know Bubble is in bed with a dandy cold and too weak to be on the computer. She could really use prayers for a speedy recovery.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Mary Ann

Thanks, Amy, for the news about Bubble.  We'll pray for her.

Mary Ann

Amy

Mary Ann, thank you.

You talk of reactions to over the counter meds .Once I took 2 ibuprofens and my husband said he would also take two.  While we were having coffee at the restaurant he soon said take me home. To make long story short it turns out he is allergic to it!! We had no idea of this before hand. Dr said if I take them and give Kyle a kiss I could kill him.......truly the kiss of death! 
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Beverly

So sorry to hear Bubble is sick. Thanks for letting us know, Amy. Hope and pray she is better soon.

Mary Ann - 20 years ago you could buy the regular Sudafed over the counter.  :(

Amy - Wow! That's scary.

Marilyne

AMY. - Thank you for letting us know about Bubble.  I hope her daughter will be checking on her throughout the day, to make sure she is doing as well as can be expected. Colds can so easily turn into pneumonia, as we grow older!    That's interesting about the ibuprofen, causing a sudden adverse reaction for Kyle!  Was it an anaphylactic shock reaction??  I've always been leary of Ibuprofen, because I am prone to sudden serious reactions to different medications.  I had anaphylactic shock once, after taking penicillin, and many other lesser reactions to OTC or prescription meds.  I read many years ago the ibuprofen can cause trouble, so I have never taken it.  Just plain Tylenol or Bayer aspirin, is fine for me. 

Mary Ann - I'm going to check all the cams today, and hope to find some interesting boats to follow.  Usually my best bet, is the St. Clair cam, but the Canal and Bridge cams are still my favorites.  I love to see how the people gather at canal, to watch the ships.  Always a big crowd for Paul!    Allergy or cold meds like Sudafed always cause me to be very hyper and unable to sleep.  If I feel like I must take something, I resort to Benadryl, which does just the opposite.  ::)  In general, I try to stay away from all meds - OTC or prescription.   

angelface555

Good morning from a cold Interior where it's minus 35 this morning. Its been a couple of years since we've had one of these cold spells, and it really makes me tired. I want to curl up and stay under covers. Farrah is still bored and watches me carefully to see if I'm going to entertain her. I'm starting to feel guilty about it.

Marilyne, I have had a hospital bout or two with analeptic shock due to chemicals in food used to preserve it. I cannot eat microwavable packaged food nor convenience or fast food. It all started some years back with a microwavable Hormel spaghetti meal. I'm lucky I was at work and not alone. I'm told I was as red as a lobster, itching like crazy with hives and having breathing difficulties. That little emergency room visit was very enlightening due to fear of the unknown and the price tag. At least this forces me to eat healthily and to be aware.

The other sensitivity I have is even more frightening. I have cards at my doctor, the local hospitals, and wear a medical bracelet. I will wake under anesthesia. In the last operation, they had to pause four times to put me back under. Since you are paralyzed, unable to speak during a procedure, I make sure that each anesthesiologist is aware before I go under even with all the preparation.

We're not made to live with all of these chemicals in or around us. I'm told that is one of the reasons diseases such as cancers have become so prevalent. That and drug/chemical misuse and genetic issues.

Beverly, thanks for letting me know about the reheating. I guess reheating was implied, but the idea of ice cold oatmeal was not at all appealing!

MaryAnn and MarsGal, I haven't watched the ships for some time, but I've been watching several YouTube videos about planes, trains, and ship travel all over the world.

Bubble's daughter and grandson live in another town. For some years, she has employed a live in helper because she had polio as a child and is in a wheelchair. A bad cold at any age is not good, but when you are our age, it's essential to sleep, hydrate, and take your meds, so I'm glad she's not alone.

I hope everyone is doing well and stays that way! And that your day is warm and going just as you like it!

FlaJean

It was cold this morning but is warming up to 65 by afternoon.

Mary Ann, I really like dark cherry.  All of my daughter-in-law's wood furniture is dark cherry.

Sorry to hear Bubble is sick and hope she feels better soon.  Colds are miserable.

Larry looked out and the birds have busy eating all their food.  He went out to replenish the feeders and said it felt pretty good outside.  We saw our first Goldfinch a couple of days ago.  They leave in summer and come back in winter.  We should be seeing more of them soon.

Patricia, does the winter weather affect your arthritis?  What bothers me is rainy weather.  The dampness stirs up some pains I don't normally notice.

Beverly, I had enough mashed potatoes to make two bowls of soup so my husband had a bowl.  He said "I forgot how good this tasted".  I have in the past made potato soup from "scratch" with pieces of crisp bacon and carrots, but when it comes to cooking I make it as easy as possible.  I really don't like to cook.

I hope everyone is having a good day as it is possible according to your circumstances.  If you are like me, you occasionally would just like to skip a day or two until things are better.

angelface555

Jean, it is very dry in the Arctic, and when it gets cold, it gets very dry. It takes humidity/moisture for it to snow, which is hard to do in a dry climate. What makes it hard with my arthritis is the barometric pressure when it is continuously changing, such as in the swing seasons of Spring and Fall.

When I lived in the South, I would tell people how colder their winters were than where I was from, and they looked at me as if I'd lost my mind. It is the humidity that made it so cold and so wet and why, probably, your arthritis suffers more.