Random Image

Parade-4.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:32:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Good morning from a Frigid minus forty-two morning in the Interior where absolutely nothing is going on but some reading and staying warm. Farrah is perched by the window, watching some juvenile ravens hanging out.

MarsGal, I'd read about that, and the consensus while expected isn't good.

It seems as if everyone has the doldrums this week and feeling some post-holiday letdown. I hope everyone feels better soon and stays warm and healthy!

I was one who sold most of my furniture more than once as I married, divorced, and repeated as I moved about the country. This apartment will probably be my last place even if it is state-owned as the rents remain controlled while widely fluctuating in town and not in a good way. Who wants to pay over a thousand for a studio or one-bedroom, not including deposits and or utilities?!?

There are benefits to be had for seniors, free bus service, free borough services, including pools and exercise facilities. Many of the University or local areas have free or reduced fees for classes, local events, and in the summer, there are senior benefits available at local greenhouses, farms, and outdoor markets. With the number of ethnic restaurants and shops surrounding me, it's an excellent place to be.

About the only real peeve I have, not being able to drive, is that the big grocery stores tend to cluster together, literally, at the East or West sides of town, while I'm in the center, and the bus routes stop not at the doors but across the street from the malls where they're located. This is fine with warmer weather, not so much in colder times.

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

Sunny, warm(ish) and "fire danger" dry in central Oklahoma.  I've turned on the little automatic sprinklers for the flower beds.  Should have been doing this regularly for the past couple of weeks.

Here's a link to a bald eagle nest in eastern Oklahoma.  The first egg was laid January 4; the second one yesterday.

https://www.suttoncenter.org/live-bald-eagle-nest-camera/?fbclid=IwAR0Gue539T5oUqD6DKkTGZ4YuciXWUf06eLZBzEY3uir4ndJOZTZN-HHo4E

First picture is slow to load.  Scroll down to see previous pictures of eggs, etc.

My eye is about back to normal.  Son took me to get what they used to call "big groceries" last night.  I drove myself to get hair done this morning.

I have quite a few interesting small pieces of furniture from ancestors - and a couple of big ones, including a trunk that belonged to my great-grandmother and dates from the 1860's.  I've made an "Heirloom Album" with pictures and provenance of various items - even lined small pieces in rows on dining table and then numbered/labeled each piece in pictures.  Have told family I intend to sit on my little pink cloud and watch as they divide things.    :)

Hope Everyfriend who isn't feeling well is feeling better very soon.

Onward and Upward  :thumbup: 

Mary Ann

Callie, thanks for the link to the eagles.  I watched them for several minutes.  At first there was only one, sitting on the eggs.  Then the second eagle came bearing food.  They seemed to share it for a while, but then one went off to the side and the other ate.  All of this time, the eggs were "unsat" on.  Eventually the eagle at the side left and after a while, the remaining eagle, taking its time, sat on the eggs.  I am surprised that they breed so late in the season but I remember seeing pictures of the eagles in Decorah IA sitting on eggs in the snow.  It was hard for me to read about the OK eagles because of the light print but I managed a paragraph or two.

I have a small trunk from my grandmother, in fact, I have three large trunks - one from my dad, one from my mother and one from Mother's cousin whose husband shipped things to my aunts, then my mother.  As we were last in line, I now have the trunk.  I remember as a kid that we had a barrel in the basement; I wonder what happened to that.  Probably my dad took it apart to make something.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Mary Ann,  I think the eagles must winter in Oklahoma because there are quite a few "eagle watches" at the lakes across the state about this time of year.

Not sure how my Dad got home from WWI with two foot lockers - but I had both redone and gave one to each son - along with some "artifacts" of his.  Also had a Louisville Slugger baseball bat of his with some player's picture on it that I had put in a shadow box and gave to grandson.  I looked up the history but didn't recognize -and don't remember - the player's name. 

I wish people wouldn't assume that no one wants what they have.
Would never in a million years have thought that my then 22 year old bachelor son would want his grandmother's demitasse coffee cup collection but he remembered seeing it on shelves in her entry hall and asked me to save them for him when we cleaned out her house.  He/dil now have them displayed in their home.
He also asked for the simple aluminum (?) cookie jar from his other grandmother's house because he remembered her always having cookies in it when we visited.

Youngsters rarely comment on old things but we never know what they're going to think is special.

Mary Ann

Callie, I think the great-nephew in California would be more likely to want something, however, he lives furthest away from here.  If I can manage to live here until the end, I won't worry about it.  But there is always the possibility it would be necessary for me to go to a retirement/assisted living place and then I'd have to get rid of stuff.  I'm not going to worry about it until it happens.  My problem is that I grew up with the furniture and dishes and I know the history.  I've tried to write about various things, especially those things made by family, and I haven't had anyone to tell about them.

Tom and I just returned from having supper at Bud and Stanleys (I've told before the restaurant is named for the owner's dogs).  Tom had a huge salad and I had a mushroom Swiss burger.  I think I liked the one I had last week better, but this was good  too and I'd have it again.  They also give us a small loaf of warm bread and that always is delicious. 

I don't watch much TV on Wednesday night so if there isn't much to read on the computer I'll get my book-on-tablet and read that.  It is by Hedrick Smith and was published in 2013 and tells how things happened.  All I'll say is that lobbyists have too much money and too much influence.

Mary Ann

angelface555

We are now at minus forty-four at 2:39 in the afternoon, so I expect it will be a long night. Marilyne, did you look up any ideas in the recipe links I posted? Were they any help?

For lunch, I had a bowl of my steel-cut oatmeal. What I did was place the oatmeal from the box into a washed plastic coffee tin and add a couple of handfuls, one each of dried cranberries and dried cherries,  I topped it off with a tablespoon of nutmeg and one of cinnamon before replacing the lid and shaking thoroughly.

It was okay, but I liked the cinnamon/nutmeg flavor over the rather bland dried fruit. Perhaps they would be better with an added sweetener such as sugar or honey or in baked goods. I think I may regift the dried fruit to someone else who bakes.

Speaking or actually thinking of coffee tins, I find them perfect for dried beans or in this case fruit. I also have some filled with various types of rice. someone glancing into my cupboard would think I craved/loved coffee other than reusing the containers.

angelface555

RAMMEL

In 12 days it will be 1-20-20 @20:20:20, 2020---- Also never to happen again
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Cottoncandy

Awesome...if anyone is a gambler...might be lucky numbers

Mary Ann

It's nearly 9 pm ET so I missed today's event.  I'll probably miss the one in 12 days, too.  I do like to play with figures like these, however, CC, I'm not a gambler.

Mary Ann

maryc

Mary Ann,  I agree with you about the family things.  Debby and I have talked about this in regard to the many small things I have that came to me from my parents and grandparents.  I can remember seeing them in use in my mother and grandmother's house so they have sentimental value to me. My house is furnished with a combination of handed down items along with a few things that we purchased over the years.   It is far from a matched set but is comfortable  and provides many happy memories of where the various items came from.  I was blessed with good parents and grandparents.
    I was interested in your conversation about the Webcams of the lakeboats.  A friend of mine lives on the shore of Lake Ontario and she has commented lately about the freighters scurrying along to beat the closing of the Wellend Canal.   Debby had a good view of them also but she moved from that apartment last December (2019) so forfeited her great view of the Lake and Niagara River.  The new apartment has many benefits that make up for the loss of the "view". :)
  I have started my first jigsaw puzzle for this winter.   It is a large round puzzle (1000 pieces and just fits on my dining room table). Debby worked it last winter and passed it along to me.  I've been hanging on until after the holidays to begin.  It looks like it could last a couple weeks.
Mary C

MarsGal

I am happy to see that Bubble is well enough to post again.

MaryC, I occasionally look in on the Quebec live webcam and was surprised to see the entire river there was icing over, although it was a thin layer. Last night the river was clear again. I watched a clip of one of the biggie (forget which one) cargo vessels leaving Duluth Harbor last night. I had to chuckle at this little tug racing ahead and back again to what appeared to be clear a path through the thin ice coat for this huge ship.

It is to remain in the mid-thirties today, but tomorrow it is to warm up into the low 50s. Right now it is 23o.

Vanilla-Jackie

Well these last few days my PP-MS body has flared up more than its usual MS daily body and i am fighting to stay on my feet and legs as my body from the stomach ( gut ) down is giving away underneath me...I have always been a control freak, i like to be in control but this is the one thing that is in control of me and there is nothing i can do about it...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, I'm sorry to read that things are not as they have been with you.  I hope you have a walker of some kind to get around.  I am sure it is scary to not be in control of your own body.  Just play it as safe as you can.

MaryC, I read in one of the chats on the St Clair River that the Welland Canal was to close right about now - Jan 8 or 9.  The Soo closes the 15th and that gives the ships time enough to get to Duluth and Superior for their winter refurbishing.  I note the near channel at the Soo is already frozen over. 

My dad and I used to put big jigsaw puzzles on our dining room table and work on them.  Nothing steady but it might have taken us a couple of weeks too.  I haven't worked a big puzzle in years but I have one puzzle online I work on each day.  It has only about 50 pieces and there are a variety of subjects.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...
...i am shuffling around and muttering..." my MS doesn't know who it is taking on, who it is messing with, i am from a tough breed, the Hathaway's are-were from a tough breed, and i am one of them...i will fight against it tooth and nail if i have to...
" There is no present like the time "

so_P_bubble

I am back and feel almost back to normal :) thank you all for your concern.

About 'Little Women" which film some of you saw lately, here is a book you might be interested to read:

The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott
By Kelly O'Connor McNees
Historical Fiction
"Wonderfully imagined" (New York Times bestselling author Meg Waite Clayton): In 19th-century New England, aspiring novelist Louisa May Alcott is torn between love and ambition. "McNees gets the period details just right... Devotees of Little Women will flock to this story with pleasure" (The Washington Post).

angelface555

"A woman, cranky because her husband was late coming home again, decided to leave a note, saying, "I've had enough and have left you...don't bother coming after me." Then she hid under the bed to see his reaction.

After a short while, the husband comes home, and she could hear him in the kitchen before he comes into the bedroom. She could see him walk towards the dresser and pick up the note...

After a few minutes, he wrote something on it before picking up the phone and calling someone... "She's finally gone...yeah, I know, about bloody time, I'm coming to see you, put on that sexy French nightie. I love you...can't wait to see you...we'll do all the naughty things you like."

He hung up, grabbed his keys, and left.

She heard the car drive off as she came out from under the bed. Seething with rage and with tears in her eyes, she grabbed the note to see what he wrote..."I can see your feet. We're outta bread: be back in five minutes."

Mary Ann

Jackie, good for you.  With something like MS it pays to be a fighter and you've come this far already.

Bubble, it's good to see you back and I hope you fully recover soon.

Patricia, Ha Ha Ha!  Serves her right.

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

Too much is assumed --- and we all know what assume does (is).
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

angelface555
Yestrday after one of your posts I tried to write "minus forty-four degrees" but I couldn't do it.  I kept freezing up.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

angelface555

FlaJean

Patricia and Rick,  ;D

Nothing much going on here.  It is 65F but a little overcast.

It is very quiet here in Northwest Florida, except for the short periods when the Navy Ordnance base is doing their bombing practices a few miles away.  Yesterday they were really loud but they only last about an hour.  This has been going on for several days.

Hope all is well with everyone today.

Mary Ann

I have nothing to report except it is a rather grey day.  We have the bad weather forecast that so many areas have.  Tom was to go to Holland tonight to babysit but the meeting for James and Alicia was called off - probably because of the forecast.  He may still opt to go and that depends on the weather.  We seem to be at the south end of the forecast so it may not be as bad here as further north.  On the other hand . . . the weather forecasts have been known to be wrong!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

I just deleted my entire last message!  So many typos and errors, that I just couldn't let it stand.  So I kind of rewrote it?  Actually, it looks just as bad.  ::)

Good Morning!  Not a lot of activity in this folder over the past twelve hours, but things will pick up today I hope?  I was a bit under the weather,  (whatever that old saying means?),  the past couple of days, but things are looking better today.  It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do!

Bubble - Good to see that you're feeling better.  having a cold or any other illness is so difficult for us older folk! 

Patricia - I sent your joke on to AJ, as well as others that I know will enjoy it.  :D  Also, I meant to thank you for the recipes on using dried cherries.   So far, I've simmered them, and they are now looking plump and tasty!  I don't do much cooking anymore, so will probably only add them to my oatmeal.  I don't do steel-cut like everyone else seems to like.  I just do the plain old top-o-the-stove old fashioned oatmeal. 

Mary Ann and Maryc - I like jigsaw puzzles, but I don't have a table or a spot, where I can keep one set up.  In spite of the square footage of this rambling old house, the living/dining room is quite small, and  the only table is the round antique oak, that I described a couple of days ago.  We eat dinner on it every night, so no room for a puzzle.  The kitchen table is too small, and the family room is down a long flight of stairs, and is adjacent to the basement.  Very cold and unfriendly, in the Wintertime!   
Mary Ann - I'll take a look at the online puzzles, and see what they look like?

Good morning to Jackie, Jean, Callie, Rick, JeanneP,  Shirleyn, Beverly and Jenny.  Hope we hear from all of you today.

P.S. Mary Ann - I agree with your opinion on lobbyists!  I really don't understand why they have so much power and why they are so wealthy?  The book by Hedrick Smith, sounds interesting.         

so_P_bubble

Marilyne, I too was addicted to jigsaws - big ones.  I found the solution to be able to continue working on them for many days and weeks: on the dining table.  We did use it daily at lunch but I covered the unfinished puzzle with a plastic sheet and then a dining table cloth. At times when not working, I had a nice embroidered tablecloth hiding it. It worked perfectly.

I also kept old jigsaws boxes and used them as trays for sorting according to colors for the 2000/3000 pieces

angelface555

Good morning everyone! We've warmed up, now at minus thirty-nine Fahrenheit.  :thumbup:   Farrah is her usual needy self, she's bored but isn't interested in toys. She's also unhappy as I received a bag of healthy cat food from the hospitality committee. These are usually donations from others though the committee for anyone who wants them but doesn't care to put them on the donation table.

Unfortunately, Farrah doesn't care for healthy, but she eats it because I'm mean enough not to give her anything else until she does. It was a small bag, but a healthy, medium-sized adult cat only needs five ounces a day so it may last for awhile. Anything left is recycled into the next day as its dry kibble.

I have done so much reading over the past few days that I'm tired of reading. On the computer, I've been all over the world through YouTube by plane, ship, and train. One travel reviewer, a Brit, Paul Lukas, just completed a YouTube featured trip around the world via various forms of transportation.

I went on YouTube, from NYC to London, on the Queen Mary, and returned on Queen Elizabeth2. I  added several around the world cams to favorites. The last was a Finnish resort where you can watch everyone, including small children, skiing down a mountainside!

Now, if I could figure out how to squeeze in more housework...

angelface555

Marilyne, steel-cut oats or oatmeal is a plain stovetop regular oatmeal. The quote below is from the Lifehacker computer site.

"Deadlines are scary. I know. And Microsoft has thrown Windows 7 users a big one: Update to a more modern operating system by January 15, 2020, or you'll never receive security updates ever again. Eventually, Microsoft will even start disabling key Windows 7 services--like Internet Backgammon and Internet Checkers--throughout the year."

angelface555

wjoan

Rick, you are toooo funny

Mary Ann

Patricia, I forwarded the link to James and I also forwarded it to Geoff in CA because he and his wife have a boy who will be three in March.  That family had another boy is November.  I read some of it, but my eyes aren't working right today so it was hard to read.

Tom went to a restaurant and got me a hot roast beef sandwich with mild horseradish sauce plus a piece of apple pie.  That was my supper.  It was good.

Hi Joan, I'm always happy to see a post from  you.

Mary Ann