Random Image

Brynn-Shea

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beverly

Mary Ann - I hope you can get some relief from that leg pain. Feel better soon.

Jackie - Thanks for the pictures. I've seen recent pictures of New York City and it looks like a ghost town. I'm glad you were able to get out for a walk.

Junee - I can't find the picture of you and Whimsy that I thought I had, but I've posted a few from the Bash for you over in Photos Then and Now.

Mary Ann

Tomereader and others, when I had a bum shoulder a few years ago, my doctor suggested Tylenol 650 which I have been taking since.  I have continued with it during this leg episode.  Last week I week I went to the doctor and he said xrays would do no good.  It hurts badly in the morning, but after I have been up a while with the leg on a hassock, the pain subsides and I am more comfortable.  After I am finished with therapists I will start  with exercises in hopes that lots of things will improve. 

This computer runs all over the place when I accidentally put my  hands on the keyboard.

Robin and I did some genealogy stuff today and it was fun.
I think maybe some of my family is getting interested.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann                    ] 

Marilyne

Jean  - I'm taking a break from watching news during the day.  The general tone of the reporters and politicians, is not very hopeful, although they try to put a positive spin on the stories.  The only politician who has been on the news, and seems genuinely concerned is New York Gov. Cuomo.  Our Governor Newsom, shows a false cheerfulness on his daily briefing, even though we are in a bad situation here in Santa Clara County, and also Los Angeles county. No masks, no ventilators and no test kits.  I hope that your grandson is doing well, under these stressful circumstances?

Beverly -  How are your three travelers doing?  I think you said they had to stay quarantined for a certain amount of time?  I hope you and Chape are getting out for some exercise?  The weather is too cold for me - in the 40's in the morning, and 50's in the afternoon.  AJ is not bothered by cold, so he's going for a walk every afternoon.  I'm waiting until the temps get up into the high 60's, at least. 

Mary Ann - I hope you're feeling better this afternoon, and that your leg is not so painful?  It's frustrating when there's nothing a doctor can do, except to prescribe pain pills. :(

Mary Ann

I was trying to pay a bill via the bank from my new computer.  On the older one, I do not have to put my password in because it is registered but I don't remember it.  So I had to transfer my work to the older computer.  I like the computer Ok, but I will have to transfer other info too.  Tom said he will take care of it.  Anyway, there is one more bill paid.

My leg feels OK now but I am about to go to go to bed.  I want a leg that feels good all day long.

Mary Ann

Tomereader1

Marilyn and all, 80 degrees here today, sun at first then partly cloudy.  Good breeze, so my patio door is open with screen in place, but darned if I will turn on the A/C yet.  I always try to wait till April 1st or later, but there have been years when it had to be turned on in March.  Not this time!  I have ceiling fan running where I'm sitting, so am not uncomfortable.  I spent yesterday cooking.  I had intended to fix my Irish meal for St. Patrick's Day, but with the stay at home order, my daughter couldn't come see me, so I just postponed it.  Made the corned beef and cabbage in my slow cooker, had quite a bit, so fixed a plate for my neighbor, who doesn't cook anymore.  She lost her husband same year I lost mine.  Since they were business people, they ate out all the time.  She says she has forgotten how to cook!  I loved my meal, but darn, all that prep is really tiring, peeling, chopping, loading different things at different times. Whew.  I was tired, but I had some fresh asparagus and decided to try a recipe that I got off Food Network site - Panko Roasted Asparagus!  Talk about the prepping. Make a sauce to go over it, dip asparagus in sauce, then roll in panko crumbs, sprinkle olive oil over, then cook.  It was delicious but too much trouble for this old lady.  I wont make it again.  I was so tired I didn't get around to making the raw apple cake, but will do that tomorrow, Scarlett!  I have a recipe for a Santa Fe Chicken Casserole, which I will make when I've eaten all my corned beef, cabbage, carrots and little red potatoes. I also pulled a large container of  Cajun 15 beans out of my freezer.  I'll have some of those with cornbread at some point between recipes! I walked a couple of blocks today, but the wind was blowing my unkempt hair in my face.  I didn't get a haircut before they closed all the beauty shops.  Look like a shaggy dog that needs to go to the groomers!  Oh, well.  That's my last couple of days. Kinda made me want to watch Julie and Julia again! My dad was a cook in the Navy, and when he came home, he was a chef, then a cook in a restaurant.  I guess I get it from him.  My mom could cook, but she was very "home cookin' type". Plain food, but good. I liked it but dad complained "you overcooked the green beans", etc.  For a man that didnt say much, he sure could put you down about cooking.  He wouldn't cook a single bite though, as by the time he got off work, he wanted nothing to do with cooking!  Enough blathering, it's just pleasant to think about something beside
COVID-19.

Vanilla-Jackie

Tomereader...
...in hindsight you all should have told dad " to cook the greens beans himself," i dont think you would have heard another word from him...
" There is no present like the time "

Marilyne

Tome - My Dad was also in the Navy during WWII. He was with NATS - Naval Air Transport.  Flying supplies into the many islands in the Pacific, and flying the wounded back to Hawaii.  He loved to cook, but only breakfast.  He fixed our breakfast every morning, before we all went the work or school, and also on weekends.  I used to kid him, that he was the originator of the, Grand Slam.

Your Panko roasted asparagus sounds delicious!  Asparagus is my favorite veggie, and I look forward to this time of year when it's in season. I cook it the old fashioned way - simmered in salted water until tender. A little mayo or melted butter when served.   

Looks like we got a little rain last night.  Everything is wet this morning, but not enough to show anything in our rain gauge. Hope you all have a nice day ahead.  I'll be back later to say hello.     

angelface555

I saw something helpful on the bulletin board while collecting mail. The Labours' Union is available for any grocery or medical pickups and deliveries to and from our security office. They will also do some other errands if needed to be arranged through our security office.

The Governor said that this type of lockdown would continue for some months. We have had only one ill in our building but not from Covid-19. The governor said that the only groups allowed are ten or less and staying six feet apart.

This State is gaining ten positive cases of the virus every 24 hours. Who knows how many unknown cases? We have four known local cases. North Pole has two, and there are two in one of the villages. The others remain in the Southeast.

"Officials reported the first death of an Alaskan from coronavirus on Wednesday (March 26), according to Anchorage Daily News. The patient was being treated for heart failure at a hospital in Washington state when he died, and may have contracted the virus there, Anchorage Daily News reported. Although the death occurred in Washington, it is considered an Alaska case, officials said."

"Among all Alaska cases, 26 are travel-related, ten are non-travel related, 20 are linked to close contact with a confirmed case, and 13 are still being investigated, according to public health officials.

There are "numerous health care workers" that have tested positive for COVID-19, Dr. Anne Zink, the state's chief medical officer, said at a media briefing Thursday (March 26), according to Anchorage Daily News. However, Zink did not have details on how many health care workers have tested positive. But at least two of the state's 69 cases are health care workers, Anchorage Daily News reported."

These numbers were from three PM yesterday.

My dad was in the navy in the South Pacific, where he understandably saw a lot that he wouldn't talk about. He would only say he was a "chief potato peeler. "

I had seven uncles in WWII, and most were tightlipped altho; Uncle Ivan did talk about the Japanese Islands. He and my father both had ships sunk under them, and both somehow ended up, separately, with marines on some of the recaptured islands and then the Japanese mainland.

My maternal uncle was in China before the full communist takeover, and also during the war. My other uncles were air force and army in Europe. Most of them went on to serve in Korea.

angelface555

It spreads so easily. The cases jumped from 69 to 85 in less than 24 hours. "The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) reported the state's first in-state death today related to COVID-19.

This is the second Alaska death. The first Alaska resident to have died from COVID-19 was a resident of Southeast Alaska who died on March 16 at a health care facility in King County, Washington, after a prolonged stay there. The individual who died today was a 63-year-old person with underlying health conditions. The deceased was receiving treatment at an Anchorage hospital and had tested positive for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) on March 25. In addition to the announcement of the second Alaska death, DHSS announced 16 new positive cases in six Alaska communities – Anchorage (9), Girdwood (1), Fairbanks (3), North Pole (1), Juneau (1), and Ketchikan (1). This brings Alaska's total case count to 85.

Nine of today's new cases are male; seven are female. Eight of the new cases are adults, seven are aged 19-29 and one is a child. Nine of the cases are close contacts of previously diagnosed cases, one is travel-related and six are still under investigation."

FlaJean

A nice day.  The weatherman keeps saying rain but no rain yet.  Larry has been keeping the azaleas and flowers watered every couple of days.

Everything is quiet here.  Hardly see anyone outside when we walk around the block for a little exercise.

Gigi's printer broke so they made a quick trip to the local Walmart for a new HP printer.  She said the shelves of toilet tissue, hand wipes, etc. are bare but everything else looks the same.

South Florida seems to be a hot spot for covid-19 but the panhandle is not populated as heavily as the rest of Florida.  All the schools and government offices are closed here but you don't see the kids out.  I guess they are doing school lessons on the computers (or playing games).

something called the covid-19 dashboard keeps us updated a couple of times a day but I haven't checked it today.  Also our local Niceville Facebook page keeps us informed.

Soon be time to fix some lunch.  Hope all of you are having a good day.

MarsGal

I remember my Dad used to say that since he was so small (5'4"), they would give him the job of cleaning the big pots because he could crawl into them. But then he could have been "pulling our legs". Dad spent the war in England setting as part of the advance team setting up hospitals and POW camps. He said he got along well with the German prisoners; they called him "Mighty Mouth". I think the prisoners must have watched some Mighty Mouse cartoons.

Our Governor added more counties to the stay in place order including Lancaster and York. York is just below Cumberland County where I live. He hasn't "shut down" Cumberland or Dauphin (where George is) yet. George is still planning on going back ups state next week.

Been watching the ships come in off Lake Huron this afternoon, five in all. The last one will be at Port Huron soon. Also saw one come up river this morning followed by USCG Hollyhock. I do like watching her. 

Tomereader1

Marilyn and all, the dressing for the Roasted asparagus is simple, and would go well with the asparagus fixed your way, or any way. It is delicious, and I am using some of it on my Corned Beef Sandwiches.  Oh yummy.
1/2 cup light mayonnaise; 1/4 cup Dijon Style mustard, 2 teaspoons lemon juice. (Chill)
Just mix that up and spread it on your asparagus, or your sandwich.  I think it would go great on many vegetables.

JeanneP

Iam not understanding the way this is spreading. It seems like people ar getting it and not been around any other person at all so at least the people they have been close to still not sick. Some not even outdoors. Got to be something floating in the air . Cities still gettin 100s a day such as New Orleans right now. Sure not like most sicknesses. Lot like Coherer (can't spell it) seemed to spread years ago.
JeanneP

angelface555

They are either getting too close, within six feet, to a carrier or were incubating before sheltering in place. Or they have a mild case without any symptons. It can remain for hours, perhaps days on cardboard, plastic, and stainless steel.

Too many ignorant people are not believing the news and are going out and about without staying away from other people. A good example is a craze on a platform called TickTock where young people film themselves licking public toilets. They're not self-isolating.

JeanneP

Here again. Close to me in Illinois a 12 month baby just died from it yet no talk of any of her family Ill. Not saying much more yet. Her om had to have been holding her ,feeding and things. No mention of her being with a sitter. So strange. Older people getting it and yet their caretakers not. Soon we will find out what it is from.must have scientist baffled.
JeanneP

Beverly

No word from Mary Ann today......Hope she checks in tomorrow.

Good night all.

Vanilla-Jackie

Didnt even realise we ( UK ) had put our clocks forwards an hour until i saw the time at the bottom of my computer screen this morning, even then i was thinking how many days has this been, that i had never noticed, well luck had it, today is the day...

I am just this few minutes back from another very short downhill walk, i say short as my MS body was not to be trusted, so i took pigeon steps more than ever, literally forcing myself, clinging onto my rollator putting the brakes on after each step so as not to fall, until i got down to the bottom, then just a  few steps to my right before turning back, then an uphill walk to home...I have to admit that although our weather is still dry and sunny, my hands told me different, the wind-breeze was with me all the journey, and my hands were literally ice cold when i got back indoors...

My one and only piece of pleasure was when out this morning,  a male and female pheasant ran out from the side of one of the parkhomes, and it was a pleasurable sight to witness that brought a tad of laughter, as i thought to myself how lucky i was out at the right time to have seen this, as they went running off with the male pheasant behind the female, as i was the one who had startled them..

My contacting help from outside ( re, the parkhomes AGM email, and after our local MP phoned me, ) has passed on my details and has given me a female local telephone volunteer who will check up on me daily, she phoned me yesterday and we talked for some time, i told her my fears, my loss of my Richard, my loneliness by myself, my isolated parkhome site, our C - Virus, my MS and MS immune system.. she is well aware of how out of the way it is and said she is there for me, we both exchanged phoned numbers..her home and mobile numbers..she has a hubby and three children with her..

Well i managed to secure a very early fresh in store delivery from an on-site, of antibacterial hand sanitisers..these in UK have been very hard to come by, they are all sold out...and be careful as there are profiteers on at least one very large and popular site ( begins with an A ) this person, or whoever they are, is out to make exorbitant money over selling what is normally a fraction of the price of what we are needing due to this C - Virus with at least one item i was after..i did not order from it..Even the couple of feedback comments said the same about the person for what they were charging, for what sells in the shops cheaply, of how despicable for taking advantage of a bad situation we are now facing.....

How uncanny, just left the computer, made my breakfst, microwaved, went to sit down in the living room when on the tv as i left it was a church service, when they started to say The Lords prayer, talk about the timing being right, i stood up and joined in with them..

Vanilla-Jackie

UK tv just this minute gave out breaking news of a highly respected Leicestershire NHS Surgeon -An organ transplant Consultant who tested C - V positive has just died, he had been recently placed on a ventilation machine..said he is the first front line worker we have lost here in UK...He held the position of Associate Clinical Director, and Ear Nose and Throat Consultant and Surgeon...and was highly respected..Told also that he raised money for the hospital by climbing in the Himalayas..Link...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52064450

Marilyne

I know we're all waiting to hear from Mary Ann.  No messages from her yesterday and none so far today. I hope she is okay, and maybe just having a difficult time with her new computer? 

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
... we do so worry when a regular daily member misses a days post dont we...

Beverly

Jackie - How unfortunate that one of your frontline workers has died. I'm afraid we could see more of this before it's over.

It's great that you have someone to check up on you and discuss your fears, etc. Up until now you didn't have much of a support system. Volunteers play such an important role both in the UK and here in the US. My oldest daughter heads the food pantry in her small town church. Yesterday she and her husband packed and delivered bags of supplies to the elderly and shut-ins. They do this every Saturday. They run the food pantry from their church year-round. She also runs the church's thrift shop on Saturdays. Recently the Masons organization donated $1,000.

We're having another warm and sunny day. We really could use some rain.

Good morning Marilyne!

Vanilla-Jackie

Beverly...
.. i must say a well - done to your head running church volunteering daughter..
...you are so right...we had the recent news of our UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, our UK Health Minister Matt Hancock, plus our future King, Prince Charles...these are all people we so need..
...my heart goes out to Italy...this is so so unreal...

FlaJean

We could also use some rain, Beverly.  I don't say that too often as we usually have plenty of rain.

I hope Mary Ann is Ok.

My grandson had to go into the hospital again last night.  His normally low blood pressure was 190, high temp, and everything seem to be going wrong.  The medical attendants wouldn't come into the house so his wife had to walk him out to the ambulance and he was still connected to his equipment.

My other grandson is a foreman for an electrical company and is considered essential.  He has had to go into hospitals to fix equipment and they are not given any masks, etc.  he is worried as he has to go back home to a wife and two young boys.

Jackie, my son who has MS said he had terrible spasms in his legs on the airplane trip home from Calif.  I thought about you and your problems also with your legs. I'm glad you are getting some assistance now, finally.

Marilyne, how are things going in your area?

Larry is trying to find something on Netflix to get his mind distracted from all the bad news, at least for a little while.  I just can't seem to get interested in anything.

Sorry to sound so down.  I hope all of you are Ok.

Marilyne

Jean - So sorry to hear that bad news about Jason! I wonder if he will go to a local hospital near where they live, or if he will go back to the one he was in before coming home?  Hospitals are so focused now on treating Coronavirus patients, and it's so contagious, that you worry about others who are hospitalized for other illnesses.  There are the same numbers of people as there always have been, who are having babies, and accidents of all kinds, and having heart attacks, et al . . .  and so many like Jason, who need hospitalization and special care.

I saw on the news last night, that the US Navy Hospital Ship is now docked at the Los Angeles harbor, and has something like 1,000 beds, and a full medical staff.  They will only be taking patients who DON'T have Coronavirus.  So that will be a place where patients like Jason can go, and not risk getting infected.

I've written enough, so will have some lunch, and return later, and say hello to all others who have posted today.  I hope that by then, we will have heard from Mary Ann!

Mary Ann

Hello everyone.  My name is Tom Tock, Mary Ann Tock's nephew, and the late Norm Tock's son.  My aunt wants me to catch all of you up on her condition.  The pain in her leg has become very severe. The doctors do not believe it is a blood clot nor a fracture but cannot explain the pain she feels just sitting up in her right thigh down to her knee.  In order to get the level of pain meds necessary to deal with this, we determined it would be best to enroll Mary Ann in hospice at home for now.  We met with them this afternoon.  Mary Ann will remain at home for the duration. She pretty much stays in bed because sitting up is too painful.  We will see tomorrow how she does with the new meds. It is Mary Ann's wish to improve and no longer need hospice.

Amy

Tom ,thank you very much for the update on Mary Ann. Please give her our love and prayers for a speedy recovery.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

junee

Hello Tom. Just read your message as had missed hearing from Mary Ann.  Give her my love and best wishes and look forward to her posting to us soon

CallieOK

Tom thank you for the message about Mary Ann. Good thoughts and prayers that the new meds will ease the pain.

Beverly

Came in tonight to see if there was any news on Mary Ann. Tom Tock, thank you for letting us know. I've been thinking of her all day. She's in my thougts and prayers. I hope the meds will give her some relief.