Random Image

Densmore Bridge

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:10:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

I am so grateful every day for my volunteer phone call ( she always phones me ) from such a lovely, friendly lady, we have both got to know about each other, our lives a tad after some lengthy conversations when she phones to check on my safety and well-being... After a little delving re, her unusual name, i found she is a Barrister, of which she confirmed...We had suggested a couple of days ago that after all this is over with, the C -Virus, we will meet up at some point and meet each other face to face..then i can say my personal thank you...
" There is no present like the time "

angelface555

It's not only appreciating or not appreciating Jackie's prayers. It's about welcoming all of our members which is why politics also has its own site in Seniors and Friends.

I emailed Bubble, but she is busy right now with her own family issues and Israel's quarantine, so she suggested Jane from Bosom Buddies, who is also an administrator for S&F. Since Tranquil Cove is our bereavement site, it would be two separate sites, one religious and one for COVID-19.

Since we are looking to provide a good place for all of us to come and visit plus encourage others to join us and have it be a social site they'll want to stay with,  we'll want to be inclusive for all of our differences.

Jackie, I'm so happy you have someone to talk to and a new friend! Here we are living silently in our own apartments with only security in the halls. It is very quiet presently.

Vanilla-Jackie

Some members like myself at times want to talk about it, the C - Virus, other members are choosing to avoid talking about it altogether.. but for the members who do, we dont yet have any special room - folder set up yet..as MARILYNE has made a point in mentioning what we could include posting in it, which includes prayer, if others are in agreement..

Marilyne

I was just scrolling through S&F, and realized that we haven't heard from MarsGal in quite a few days!   She usually posts here, as well as in Library Bookshelf?  I took a look at Senior Learn also, but didn't see any recent posts from her there? I hope she is okay?

I've been busy putting together a large bag of things for Sandy, that she is unable to find. (masks, gloves, Clorox wipes, etc.)  She lives in a large apartment building near Downtown San Jose, so is right in one of the two the major "hot spots", here in Santa Clara County.  She has run out of masks, so is afraid to to out searching for things.  We'll put the bag outside our downstairs door, and hope to talk to her from our upstairs porch.

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
.. i see MarsGal has posted today in Don's " Classical Corner " folder...

angelface555

Jackie as I posted in the post, just below yours, religion would have a separate site so there would be two new discussions.

Quote from: angelface555 on April 03, 2020, 02:15:52 PMIt's not only appreciating or not appreciating Jackie's prayers. It's about welcoming all of our members which is why politics also has its own site in Seniors and Friends.

I emailed Bubble, but she is busy right now with her own family issues and Israel's quarantine, so she suggested Jane from Bosom Buddies, who is also an administrator for S&F. Since Tranquil Cove is our bereavement site, it would be two separate sites, one religious and one for COVID-19.

Since we are looking to provide a good place for all of us to come and visit plus encourage others to join us and have it be a social site they'll want to stay with,  we'll want to be inclusive for all of our differences.

Jackie, I'm so happy you have someone to talk to and a new friend! Here we are living silently in our own apartments with only security in the halls. It is very quiet presently.

Vanilla-Jackie

Enough said, we shall leave it in the hands of the moderators - moderator to sort out if this is becoming an issue..I personally want to put my focus back where it belongs, on whats important, to the deaths of our people around our world..

jane

I've opened two discussions as requested.  They are both right here in this Town Talk 

One is for Corona virus and the other for prayers and spiritual thoughts during this pandemic.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?board=20.0

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane...
...thank you, i have now deleted my two prayers i posted in N B & T, and moved them where they belong after they caused so much problem...

RAMMEL

Quote from: Tomereader1 on April 03, 2020, 01:39:23 PMI appreciated Jackie's prayers, no matter what forum they're posted in. 
Me too.
I feel that the Prayers of any valid Religion are good, especially for the person presenting them. When I get or give good wishes from people of other beliefs I assume it is with good intent.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

angelface555

I feel like I'm perceived to be the bad guy here when I'm only following the forum's long-held rules.

Beverly

When Pat Scott opened this site she dropped the rules of the old SeniorNet.

angelface555

Beverly, when the politics and religion folders were open to all in 2016, there was a divisive argument where some more extreme religious people were posting in the atheist folder, attempting to insult and convert those posting. Ray Franz personally called Pat about making it, the site, private. At the time I was one of the assigned card makers, and there was a lot of back and forth among the mods, etc. and it was a huge drama. That was when the rules about politics and religion were set up. In any case, do we want to turn off potential members?

I'm not going to comment further.

Joy

I stopped back just to see if there was any message from Mary Ann.  Sure hope she is just resting and getting her strength back.   She is surely missed.   

I have had a busy day and did not get my nap, which I had planned on doing.  So, I will be going to bed soon. I had two trips down to the lobby.  One to take some mail down to go out and one to meet up with my son, who dropped something off for me.  I did find out that, even tho we are not supposed to have visitors,  family members can bring groceries in or take care of something in our apartment.  That is good, as some of the residents, who have trouble getting around were wondering how they would carry their groceries from the door, if someone dropped them off for then.  They just don't want lots of people in and out of the apartments. 

Joy
BIG BOX

Beverly

Yes, Patricia, I recall that. Pat and I talked about it at the time and she decided to make a closed discussion for Ray and other atheists. About that time she asked if I'd moderate the Politics forum. I have no knowledge of a set of rules, though we did post guidelines for the Politics Forum.

In this time of fear and uncertainty we could all use a little hope.

Beverly

Joy - It's so good to see you are getting out of your room, even if it's for getting mail and meeting your son. Do you have stairs or an elevator? Please be careful!

Marilyne

We don't need to follow rigid rules at this unprecedented time.  We need love and compassion.   If someone is offended by a prayer, or doesn't want to read a message or comment in any folder at any time, they can scroll on past.

Mary Ann - I'm thinking about you again tonight, and hoping that you are resting comfortably.

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
... yes rules to be broken at this time and yes totally agree, love and compassion...we read only what we ourselves choose to read, skip, by-pass what we dont wish to read...Let us focus together on the one subject of our now world situation, however one chooses to cope with it, "some i notice tend to be using humours pictures, which is there personal choice, "  we are all in this together, we certainly dont need to be bickering over something so minor and petty as to where one should or should not be posting a prayer for our world, nor our varying religions, ( we had no specific folder. ) The important thing is we remain in communication whilst we keep check on one another...

And i would like to say a " Thank You " to all who DID appreciate my postings of prayer in this folder, although now transferred by me into the correct new prayer folder set up by Jane...plus another C-Virus folder where one can freely post on this now topic..again for those who do want to talk about it..this choice remains ours..

MaryAnn has not posted herself since 28th March..

MarsGal

Yes, I'm here. Just being quiet for once.

Yesterday and the day before I mowed my lawn. I never thought I would say this, but it was nice to get outside and get some exercise (I hate mowing). Today, I am debating spending a little time this afternoon to do some raking. The pines dropped a huge amount of pine cones the past winter, more than usual. They must have liked all that "splendid" rain we had last summer.

Yesterday I saw a chart that listed PA as one of the top states with COVID-19 cases. Both my sister and George live in another county across the river. While my county had some cases for weeks, theirs only just began getting them last week or two. Their county very quickly surpassed mine in number of cases. Scratching my head on that one.

Oscar had replaced Lucy doing the birdwatching this morning. Too bad he missed the deer this morning. I don't think he has noticed the times I tuned into the deer (turkeys included) trough cams yet.

I am soon going to have to make another foray into the grocery store for bread and other items I am getting low on. Not looking forward to that.

No, you are not a "bad guy" Patricia. While I appreciate the sentiments behind the prayers, I do get uncomfortable seeing a god invoked (regardless of religion) too often. I follow Marilyne's suggestion often and have for some time.

Mary Ann, I miss your posts. Wishing you well.

Vanilla-Jackie

MarsGal...
...as i had previously mentioned, at the time of my prayers postings in N'S B & T, we did not have any specific rooms to post it in, but thankfully we do now thanks to Jane starting one up for those who wish to post a prayer - read a prayer, regardless of which religion...and for those not interested in prayer, so be it...thankfully we have many other discussions and rooms available to satisfy all of our needs...It now seems the prayer was appreciated by some but not all, anyway it is now in its rightful home, so hopefully we can all get back to some form of normality in here........

Vanilla-Jackie

I will be taking in a home supermarket delivery 7 - 8.pm slot, not too sure what i will receive that was in stock but under this situation, as my late father often would have said to me..." beggars cant be choosers..." i will happily take-accept whatever i receive this evening...originally it was a rather large order with the odd few items added since the few weeks back when i was lucky to have been able to have ordered online and grabbed my slot...although we are being continually told that our supermarkets are replenishing their shelves all the time, so there should be very little shortage..
Not sure how this delivery will go as we have to keep at a distance and usually the delivery driver brings the foodstuffs inside our home then takes the trays away with them..

JeanneP

I remember back in senior religion and politics caused s lot of problems . People got carried away . I never talk about either one. Even off the computers or in family.
Now some dropped out of SAndF over in 1 popular forum because they tired of the cat and dogs stories taking over. All can be skipped by bot better than to have own forums
JeanneP

FlaJean

We are having a nice sunny day.

There isn't much to write about.  Just checking in and hoping all is going well for everyone.

Sandy

Good Afternoon
Everyone...  It is sunny right now
here on the Rocky Coast of Maine..

Springtime here is usually wet and
windy with the good weather holding
off until May thru October... 

Hurray!! 

They have closed the building that I
live in to only residents...  so I have
to go down to curbside with my rolling
basket to pick up groceries from Kelly
who is doing all the shopping for everyone. 

This pandemic is horrible  and also
very depressing,  so I have to be very
careful to keep my mind occupied and off
the 24 hour news stations,  who are only
talking about it 24/7.   

I miss Mary Ann.. and hope that she
is going to be OK

love to all
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Vanilla-Jackie

Sandy...
.. i so agree, there is only so much we want to listen to on our tv's, unless we want to be scary-ing ourselves to d**th, more than we need to..

JeanneP

If the SS checks were mailed to us for this month. Why are people wanting to know if they will get this Sym.Check that suppose to even  go to them. Also most people were still working up to end of March and got paid. again all they think about is getting a check. Also getting unemployment right away. (Not put a dollar aside I suppose) Some will all spend all the Gov. Gave them on things they shouldn't.
JeanneP

Marilyne

MarsGal - Good to see you back. It seemed like you had gone missing for a long time, but I guess it was only a couple of days. 

Sandy - I agree with you.  The constant depressing news cycle is beginning to wear on me too.  I'll check my local news tonight, and that will be it. 

I received an interesting web link today on Inspirational and Uplifting Movies, that might be good to watch during this difficult time. Votes from hundreds of people, and the three top winners were:

The Shawshank Redemption
Field of Dreams
It's a Wonderful Life

All three and many more recommendations on the list, can be found on your Free Movies, Netflix, or Amazon Prime.

Joy

It has been a very lazy day.  My son came earlier and did a few chores and took my trash out.

I had slept in later than usual and still can't seem to wake up.  The computer usually will bring me "back to life". 

I was hoping to see a message from Mary Ann. Sure do miss her and I know she misses being here.  Just hope she is feeling better.   Maybe Tom will come in and let us know.

Beverly, yes, we have elevators in our building. I wore a pair of plastic gloves when I got on it, Just to push the buttons and open my mailbox.  It is an Senior Independent Living facility.  Even tho it is a locked building now, if you need help with anything, a family member is allowed to bring groceries in and do any caretaking that is needed.  One lady's daughter comes in everyday to help her.  And, of course any visiting nurses and PT's cam come in. 

Sandy, since you have trouble getting around, you might ask your manager if your daughter could bring your groceries up to your place.  She wouldn't have to go into your apartment, Worth asking.  I don't think they could refuse any help that you might need.

Hope everyone will have a good evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

RAMMEL

Quote from: angelface555 on April 03, 2020, 08:22:14 PMI feel like I'm perceived to be the bad guy here when I'm only following the forum's long-held rules.
No bad guys, just different opinions.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Mary Ann  -  Just coming in to say goodnight, after a long, long day.  I'm sure you miss visiting with all your friends here in Bait and Tackle.  We miss you too, and hope that some day you will be back with us again.  Until then, sleep well, and continue to heal.