Random Image

skating

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

We so get used to our regular daily posters, and our MaryAnn is one of them, please pop in as and when and keep us all informed on your well-being, we look forwards to your next posting, take care of yourself Mary Ann during our world in turmoil situation..
" There is no present like the time "

so_P_bubble

Sorry I was was away: Passover chores and family emergencies
 did not leave me time for computing.

Thank you Angel for passing the message.
Thank you Jane for opening these new discussions. I knew it could not wait.

I still am cleaning and cooking for the feast.  I promised Illy I would give her the special meal.  Put it in boxes in the lobby for her to take, since I am still in forced isolation.

This holiday will be very unusual, but we keep in contact with Skype.

MarsGal

Morning Bubble, what interests me is how inventive we can get when forced into unusual situations. Hope you have a good Passover even if in isolation.

My sister, who is out a lot more than I, says more and more people are wearing masks or scarves of all kinds, some being quite decorative. It reminds me of the descriptions of the masks worn by people during the plagues in the middle ages. Some of them resembled bird beaks. I have a few simple dust masks I had bought years ago for using in dusty areas, like the attic and basement, but disliked that my glasses kept getting steamed up. That explains why I still have them.

On today's agenda is another foray to feed George's cats and, if I feel like it, to BJ's for a few things. Otherwise, it is going to be a day of whatever whim strikes me.

Joy

Good morning.

I sure want to say Good Morning to Mary Ann and so look forward to having you back with us soon.  Hope you are improving with each day.  YOU ARE MISSED !!!

I know this is such a terrible time not to be feeling well.  Please keep your spirits up !!  Your friends are all thinking of you.

Joy
BIG BOX

so_P_bubble

Update about Mary Ann

I was told that Tom Tock wrote a message on FaceBook  that he was looking for an aide for Mary Ann  at night because if she goes to a care home she will be in lock down and he is unwilling to do that and not be able to see her at this time. 

Joy

I also looked up the message from Tom Tock on FB.   

Joy
BIG BOX

Denver

A HAPPY AND BLESSED PALM SUNDAY TO EVERYFRIEND

It sure does not feel like Palm Sunday.......very strange to not be able to go to church....and just wait until next week.....EASTER......no sunrise services as we know them, no church and family gatherings😢

We are enjoying a beautiful day.....70 degrees with all of the windows wide open, airing out our main floor as well as our basement 🦋🦋🦋

We have been FaceTime'ing with family......we are so blessed to be able to do this.  Goodness, we have not seen any of our family in over a month or longer😩😢

Feeling sad for all of the people loosing their jobs ...... salaries being cut for many that are still working like doctors and nurses.  Everyone.....EVERYONE is hurting in one way or another and sadly it is going to get so much worse before we ca; even hope to see it get better.  In our lifetime, I doubt that we will ever see things get back to the way they were just a month ago......my wish is that we ALL will learn from this..... and start showing more compassion for one another🙏💕🙏💕

You all take care and enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Marilyne

Just arriving in time to say goodnight!  It's been another long and worrisome day, but I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude, and keeping my hopes alive.  I plan to write more tomorrow.

Mary Ann - A special Goodnight to you. I hope you were feeling better today, and were able to sit in your chair with your new laptop, and read all the messages in Seniors & Friends!  :thumbup: 

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
... i see i am posting 2 minutes after your post above, you are just going to bed and i have just gotten out of bed, time here in UK is 6.12 am...sitting at the computer now with my first mug of tea of the day, this mug will not be my last...

FlaJean

It is a beautiful sunny day.  Have not turned on any news yet so don't know what is going on anywhere in the world.

Everyone in our area is hunkered down and staying in their houses.

Joy, it's good that the family can come up and deliver your groceries.  Hope you are doing well.

Mary Ann, we are thinking of you and surely do miss your posts.  I hope you are resting comfortably.

Beverly, the weather map showed rain coming in your direction yesterday.  Did your husband finish working on the office? Bet it looks nice.

Jenny, it sure is nice to enjoy our computers and iPads and phones when we can't see our loved ones.  My daughter in Canada usually FaceTimes me every week.  It is so much better than the "old days" when people moved away and you didn't know when you would hear from them.  Much to be thankful for.

Marilyne, I am getting used to reading books on my iPad.  Our library has an app called Libby (which is part of Overdrive) and the selection of books is getting better and better.  I've tried the audio but don't care for it.  My hearing is good and ear phones seem to irritate my ears.

Bubble, I'm sure your daughter will enjoy that dinner you have been preparing.

Here's hoping everyone has a good day!

Joy

Still no word from Tom Tock.  I was hoping that he would let us know how Many Ann is doing.  I am sure she is getting a lot of rest and that will help her.  She sure is missed.

It has been a very slow-going morning.  Just can't seem to wake up.  I am not a morning person, and with all this mess is just not helping me feel any different.  I am not one who can get right up and make my bed and get dressed.  Wish I could be like that.  Just takes me so long to get myself oriented. I did eat a little something so that I could take my meds. When I get on the computer, I kind of "get loss" for a while and usually,  and start to wake up.  It will take me a while to get myself "pulled together".  I did do 2 walks up and down in the hallway yesterday, and want to do that again today.  I thought I would hear something from the PT, but so far,, haven't.  I know that they are permitted to come into the building.

Jenny, I was thinking that maybe some churches will be able to have some kind of a  Sunrise Service, and just place seats far enough apart for the people.  If they have a big enough space outside.  I know how upsetting it must be for some of the people to not be able to attend church,  I have family members who still went  to church every morning.  However, I do know there are several services on TV, which I am sure they are watching.  I did see where St. Patrick's in New York did have mass with several people showing up.  But, I do remember my mother always used to say, you don't have to go to a church to worship.

Anyway, I hope everyone will stay safe.  Try and enjoy whatever you do.

Joy
BIG BOX

SCFSue

Good morning, all you Bait and Tacklers, with special greetings going out to Mary Ann.  I hope you are feeling better and will continue to improve.  If you aren't feeling up to posting I hope Tom will give us a message from you.  Thoughts and prayers for you both.

Sue

Denver

Good evening. I am posting late, late again.  The days do seem to just fly by for me! 

I did not see any post from Tom Tock on Facebook regarding MARY ANN,  as someone commented that they had. II am really missing you MA, and hope you will feel better and be able to come in and say HELLO.   

JOY, I did see that churches were having services yesterday, but they sure are taking a big chance doing so.  I thought maybe they would have our annual sunrise service at Red Rock by limiting the people they would allow in so that people could keep their distance....not sure how they could do it safely though😩😢. I agree with your mother, that we definitely can worship without being present inside a church🙏

MARILYNE, this is a very trying time for everyone and it is hard to keep ones spirits up, but we must😘

JEAN, I often comment that when I first married nearly 53 years ago and went to Germany with my hubby we had no contact with our family at all other than "snail mail" and boy was it ever important to us❣️ Yes, we are very blessed to have the ability to not only talk to our loved ones, but to also SEE them in many cases. 

JACKIE, it is concerning to hear about your prime minister being moved to ICU today.  I do hope he will be OK. 

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

MarsGal

Jackie, my sister and I are concerned for PM Johnson and hoping for the best.

Mary Ann, like everyone else here, I miss you and hope you feel better soon.

Okay, now for some more news I didn't need to hear. They are finding COVID-19 in cats and dogs now. I heard people were starting to dump their cats several days ago, but yesterday is the first I actually heard that any tested positive. Aside from the tigers at the Bronx Zoo, a few cats and dogs overseas tested positive.

I finally got batteries for my thermometer which decided now was a good time to die. Now, after years of showing me the temp in Fahrenheit, it is giving it to me in centigrade. I haven't the foggiest idea how to get it back to Fahrenheit. I'd love to get one of those that you just hold to your ear, but they are pricey. In fact, my BIL just ordered one that you hold close to you head. He is shelling out $160 for it. Actually, I would love to have one for my cats rather than for me because it is hard to tell right away if their upper respiratory condition (herpes simplex, so far not curable) has added a bacterial infection. Oscar and Lucy both have bad days which can get a bit alarming. What is "funny" is that they both seem to be on the same cycle of good and bad (super snotty) days.

Caught the first ants of the season inside, just two so far. This time they are the big black ants, not the tiny things I was battling in the kitchen for years. Funny they showed up just after my pest control guy sprayed outside. He usually comes in and sprays the basement and check the mouse bait, but I missed him this time and they have new protocols for that now.  Oh, the little ants are much less of a problem now since I took to caulking around the window sills.

It is to be rainy again for the next two days. In fact, it looks like a chance of rain for the next 10 days, excepting for two days at the end of the week. For St. Clair River, canal, and lake traffic watchers, the water levels did not recede as much as usual over winter and are on the high now. Word is that Lake Erie residents are expecting another foot and a half increase this summer with another rainy year. I suspect that pretty much will sum up most of the rest of the Great Lakes area as well.

Marilyne

GOOD MORNING to everyone.  Starting now, I'm going to get back on track, and resume my long, (and boring), daily posts here in B&T.  ::)  I've been spending most of my computer time on emails and on the phone, these past couple of weeks.  Everyone here in California seems to have adjusted to the new way of living, so we're all talking about it and exchanging ideas.

Mary Ann, loved to read long message here in B&T, so I want to get back to that, in hopes she is looking in and wondering where we all went??  Mary Ann - If you're reading this, be aware that we are all thinking about you!  I hope you're doing well and that your painful leg is much better.

MarsGal - Good to see your long message this morning.  I saw the story on TV, about the tigers in the Bronx Zoo, testing positive for CV! A veterinarian came on our local news last night, and emphasized the fact that our household dogs and cats cannot get CV unless someone in the family is sick with it.  He said to keep our pets inside, and take dogs for walks around your neighborhood, and that's all. Indoor cats are safe, and have no way of coming in contact with the virus.  Hard to believe people would abandon their pets, but apparently that is what's happening in NYC?

Jenny - Also good to see your message this morning.  I've been thinking about Michele, as I know she is vulnerable to catching any virus now, after so much chemotherapy this past year.  She's probably is wearing a mask, when she is around the kids, and Dave too?
Is Dave working at a hospital?  I hope not!  I haven't heard much about CV in Denver, as most of the news stories we hear about, concern the overwhelming problems in NYC.

Our dil, has been bringing us cooked dinners, that are all ready to heat and eat!  Not every day, but when she can get out and find food, she is preparing meals for her Mother and Dad, and for us, as well as their two adult kids, and others in need.  She is a wonderful person, who puts everyone ahead of herself.

Our two daughters, are taking care of themselves.  Sandy is alone, but has good masks, that we all bought last year after the wildfires.  Shelley and Claire, live in another county, that hasn't been as hard hit as the rest of us . . .  who all live in Santa Clara County, AKA, Silicon Valley.

Time to make a fresh pot of coffee, and eat some breakfast. I plan to return later.

FlaJean

Today is bright and sunny.  The days are so solemn with all the bad news on the airways.  But we need to know what is happening.

I have a few household chores I want to do.  Not in the mood for reading a book lately—-nothing seems to interest me at the moment.

Not much to write about.  Guess I'd better get my wash started and do a llittle dusting.  Have a nice day.

SCFSue

My oldest son sent me a book about the WWII women who went to work in Washington during WWII.  It's a fascinating story about women who were able to step into jobs formerly held by men who had been drafted into military service.  These women were incredible and worked so very hard to keep Washington going.  I highly recommend reading about these women and how they stepped into the jobs.  I put the book down somewhere last night and haven't located it today (my cleaning ladies were here and I haven't found it yet!).  When I do find it, I'll stop in and give you the title of the book.  It made me glad to be a woman!

Sue

Sandy

Good Afternoon Everyone..
Thanks Callie for that Youtube on how
to make your own face masks... 

Easy does it.. I will try to make me  a
couple and see how that works for me. 

Great idea!!! 

I sneeked out this morning and walked
down to CVS to pick up some meds..

They are promoting sending us our meds
thru the mail.  Which I will have them
do for me from now on.   

They were only letting people in their store
a few at a time..  I got right in, but
when i came out there was a line of people
waiting to get in.

I had dressed for the occasion  had on my
mask and gloves.    People are being very very
careful,  which is a good thing.

I should not have to go out again except
to get my blood tested ....  YIKES

Have  a good day,  Everyone..

Hi Mary Ann..  I hope that you are feeling better.
Hi Sue!   Good to see you !!

love Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Denver

A good Tuesday HELLO to ALL you B and T'lers.

I hope today we might get a quick post from you, MARY ANN, or one of your family members! 

Good to see your post, SANDY, and see that you are doing well. 

MARSGAL.....I took a big sigh when I read about them finding the virus in the animal, as I thought that for sure could be the end to some household pets....how scary!  I hope people will just not dump their pets.

JEAN, I seem to be in the same state of mind you are....I do prett6 much the normal daily tasks, and then I am done!  I think I am going to take on a project, and then I put it off until tomorrow.....now several tomorrows have come and gone and I just can't seem to get with it.  No reading or extra cleaning like I should be doing. 

SUE, I would like to know the name of the book you mentioned....it sounds like a good read.  I always enjoyed hearing about what some of my female family members did during the War.  May did step into jobs that were thought to be a mans job, a they did it just fine.  One aunt joined the Waves after her husband went off to war.  They did not have any children so she was sent to Washington D.C. Some went to work at the Arms Plant here in Denver at the Federal Center, known during the war as the Ordnance Plant. Now that I say this....I do not Know if this is known words....i.e. Arms Plant.  I know they made ammo....now I have a lot of things I can go look up and see what I can find out....hope you find your book🤣🤣

MARILYNE, good to read your post.  Happy for you that your DIL is taking good care of you two.  Glad the Family is all well.  Sadly, we had a call from our California Son.....he has been let go along with many that worked for the City.   The golf course may not ever open again, according to the powers that be, so he is looking at long range plans for he and his family.  It did not come as a big surprise to him as he knew it was not a sustainable business for the district😩. I am very proud of him in as instead of me having to be the strong one "consoling" him, he was consoling me!  And so, life goes on😘.

Need to get myself busy.....so you ALL take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

wjoan

GOD  BLESS OUR TRUCKERS DURING THIS TIME OF EMERGENCY.

FlaJean

Vanilla-Jackie

Woke up 3.am, now up and about as i thought about yesterday, my tv has seen its last day and i had a tv electrician here in my home yesterday touching the two remote controls so i got out of bed and wiped them over with a sponge clothe and cleaner to wipe any germs, never thought about that yesterday after he had gone, he maybe coming back to connect-set-up the new tv i ordered yesterday online that i paid the extra delivery to arrive today...In hindsight he didn't seem too bothered about social distancing when he was standing close to me in my small office as i was ordering my new tv, as he was guiding me on which one was the closest to the one i already have, then setting up his gadget for taking yesterdays call-out payment....I had also made him a cup of tea, he took the mug out to the kitchen sink but, i still touched it as i moved it from the small part to the larger part of the sink to wash it up...he might not be C-Virus vulnerable but, i am.

Wish we could here something from MaryAnn..

SCFSue

Good morning, Bait and Tacklers.  I've had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, but that's it as far as it goes for now at least.  I'm planning to stay inside and avoid other neighbors who might be outside walking.  If the coast is clear I may walk then.  Most of my neighbors are younger folks who go to work in the early hours.https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/Smileys/alive/thumbup.gif

Marilyne

A hectic morning around here - our first Safeway pickup at 8:00 AM.  We've been waiting for a week for our turn, to drive up and pick up our order.  Everything worked according to plan - drive up and call a number, then an employee comes out with your items in paper bags, and loads them into your trunk.

The disappointment comes when you get home, and discover that you only got about half your order, and of course the missing items are the things you really wanted or needed.  :(    I now see in an email, that they sent me a list of the things that they were out of.  It includes - Eggs, flour, Bisquick, hand soap, dishwashing liquid soap, white rice, brown rice, paper towels, and of course, the ever elusive toilet paper.  :'(    Our Safeway store here in town is small, so I can see we made a mistake by not ordering from a larger Safeway in a neighboring town.  Now we know better, for next time.

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
...hope you are luckier than me trying to supermarket shop online, ( we are now placed in a lengthy queue to even get in to order,) in trying to get a delivery slot...delivery slots are all taken..and many items are sold out..

Marilyne

Jackie, we had to wait one week for this pick-up time slot, so it was disappointing to only get half of our order.  I can see that in the future,  we will likely end up going to the market ourselves, wearing  masks and gloves.

I looked at Tom Tock's Facebook this morning,  and there are some new posts from him about general things,  but no mention of Mary Ann.  So I'm assuming that she must be holding her own okay, and he must have found some helpers to stay with her when needed?   She may be looking in here at Seniors & Friends, but unable to post?

MarsGal

My sister just informed me this afternoon that one of the employees at the local Giant at which I shop tested positive for COVID-19. Fortunately, I haven't shopped that one for at least three weeks. However, across the road is my local Weis Market which I have been to twice in the last three weeks. People have been going back and forth between the two trying to find stuff they need. Sooooooo! Not a happy camper. One of the Sheetz's up the road from Sue closed due to an employee testing positive for the virus. Both stores are close to Interstate 81.

I could swear I saw three Ravens yesterday morning. Big, too big for crow; black, all black. Not buzzards/vultures. They are rare around here, but not unheard of. They were in one lane of the northbound road. They were alert but didn't budge when cars went by. They stood their ground, and all the cars moved to the other lane. Wish I had my tablet w/ camera with me.

Beverly

We had a good view of the Super Moon last night. I didn't think to look for it till nearly 10 p.m.

We're going to get out for a ride in the car tomorrow. Hoping it will be a mood changer!

Michael's wife Jennifer's mother passed away a few days ago. She was 79 and had Alzheimers. She was well known and respected in their small town but there will be no funeral or memorial service until after this is over. Chape and I have known her most of our lives. Michael and Jennifer have known each other since childhood and were high school sweethearts since they were 15.

I made pea soup today and corn bread. It was so good.

Chape finished the flooring in our office and is about half done laying the laminate in the spare bedroom. I'm going to like it......It's the only room in the house that still had carpet.

Lauri has finished her quarantine and went back to work yesterday. Her work in the Crisis Center at the hospital is considered essential. Donna and her husband are working from home.

Marilyne - That is disappointing to have so many of the items you ordered missing. I've had three deliveries so far and each time a few things were out-of-stock. If possible they try to do substitutions. Not what I would pick but better than nothing.  :)

Chape wore a mask and gloves yesterday to pick up a prescription at the Publix pharmacy. While he was there he checked the aisle with toilet paper. He said the shelves were stocked. He waited till the aisle was empty (to avoid people) and the few he saw were taking only one package. Maybe the panic has calmed down!

Jenny - I'm sorry about your son's job. Hopefully he'll find another one like it after this crisis is over.

Sandy - Our CVS down here was advertising free delivery. Our meds are with Publix pharmacy and so far only the grocery store has delivery (but not free!!)

MarsGal - It gets scary when the employees test positive! I hope your kitties stay well.

Joan - Nice to see a post from you. Glad you have Dan to help you.

Jean - Having the sunny days helps. I need to get out more and sit in the sunshine.

Joy - Like you, I'm not a morning person. Wish I were. Most days I have to force myself out of bed, have coffee and toast and take another 10 minutes to wake up.

Jackie - Did your new TV arrive? Sounds like the tech need to be reminded about social distancing!

SCFSue - Hope you had a chance to get out for a walk.

Vanilla-Jackie

Beverly...
... thank you for asking...yes my new tv arrived on time yesterday but just sitting in its box after i made three phone calls to the lady to pass onto the man who came the day before that i received an email from John Lewis, to say it was arriving, then a second email to tell me the one hour slot allocated by the courier service, then a third phone call to tell them it had definitely arrived but the man as yet has not got back to me, just hope he comes some time today to set it all up...

Marilyne

Still fairly early here in California (9:30) so thought I would drop in and say goodnight, to anyone who is still online.

Jenny - I also want to tell you how sorry I am that your son has lost his job in Rancho Cordova.  Such a nice little community, and I know they liked living there.  Things will get better here, eventually, so I hope they consider staying . . . but they might be happier back in Colorado, where they have family? 

Beverly - It's good to see your nice long message.  I'm glad Lauri got through her quarantine okay, and I guess the other girls did too?  Amazing how everything has changed so suddenly, in our country , and around the world.  I still feel like I'm having a bad dream, and soon I'll wake up and everything will be back to normal.  Too bad it isn't that simple. 

As for all the missing items on my grocery list . . . annoying, yes, but I will survive, and maybe even be the better for it!  Makes me realize how lucky we have always been, to be able to buy life's little necessities, whenever we need them. It's not going to hurt me to do without for a while.

MarsGal - How fascinating to see the three Ravens!  It's been many years since I've seen any, but I remember them as looking almost exactly like a crow, only larger, and with a wider wingspread.  I'll take a look in my, "Bird's of North America", book tomorrow.

Jackie - Glad your new TV arrived, and soon will be set up for you to enjoy.

I hope you're all feeling well, and Sheltering in Place, as we are being asked to do.  They say that's the only way we will get through this Pandemic, so I'm more than willing. :thumbup: