Random Image

Getting Darker

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:17:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...oh i do hope you find the " real thing " if and when you do, dont forget to put your hand out, otherwise like our UK buses, it will go straight past, it will not stop...and my days of running for a bus are well and truly in the past...
" There is no present like the time "

Beverly

Rammel-  That was taken in Williamsport, PA. They gave out gifts, etc. at the banquet and Pat received this framed sketch of "The Bus". I also ran across this one when I was searching last night. Hope you can find a better one.

RAMMEL

Quote from: Beverly on July 25, 2021, 10:26:05 AMRammel-  That was taken in Williamsport, PA. They gave out gifts, etc. at the banquet and Pat received this framed sketch of "The Bus". I also ran across this one when I was searching last night. Hope you can find a better one.
I finished searching this computer and that pic is the best I have.  I know I had a better one where you can see the bus full (picture) size.  Maybe in my old Win-xp that is on my workbench. Will check that soon.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

MaryPage

I have a sorta kinda hunch those bus pictures were a series of little drawings someone made and that those drawings appeared on posts in a forum set up just for the Williamsport Bash (or was it called the Pennsylvania/New York bash?) and later other bashes.  Mebbe.  We all had access to that forum, of course.  And also of course, my memory just ain't what it 'twas.  I sure wish I could claim otherwise.

But if I'm right, if all the little school bus drawings, some with chickens falling off and/or out of it, were in posts in that forum, than that is the where they could/might could be found?

patricia19

The quiz has re-opened with each person allowed two more answers.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=201571

MaryPage

Chip, the caregiver son who lives with me, just told me he had seen an Olympics bike ride competition go up Mt. Fugi and that it was the most beautiful scene he had ever seen and that I should see it.  I will have to hope for a repeat later.  Just trying to give you all a head's up in case you encounter that sport going up that most gorgeous mountain in this world.  In short, don't miss it if you can find it.  Chip says he watched it on his computer, which is hooked up in some manner I do not understand, so I am unable to tell you how to access it.  Bottom line is simply, try to catch the bike ride up Mt. Fugi.

Marilyne

Mary Page -  Thanks for the tip, on the Olympic biking competition up to Mt. Fugi!  I haven't turned the Olympics on yet today, but will do, and hope to see that spectacular sight!   I always enjoy the Olympic Games, both Summer and the Winter.  Very uplifting, to see the multitude of young athletes from around the World, who have invested so many years in perfecting their chosen sport!

MaryPage

Apparently, they filmed the bike ride from the air, and it was the SCENERY Chip was raving about.  He is not an effusive type, so I am thinking it must have been spectacular.

patricia19

See Alaska's vast boreal forest on a train trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIJoUNP2-v4

Denver

Sunday night and I am just getting in to say HELLO.  We had two doggies and one grandson all weekend and I have been kept busy😍

This is the week that our immediate family will all be getting together.  Sadly our Boston Grands will not join us as they are at camp. I hoped to get some new group pictures but that isn't going to happen 😩

My Dad and Diane are dealing with a real mess in Arizona.  They had a storm a week ago that ripped off shingles and before they could get anyone to get out to fix it there has been more big storms and rainwater is pour in all over the house.  I hope we get better news tomorrow 🙏

I must say goodnight.  Pleasant dreams to ALL.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

MaryPage

My heart hurts for all the families suffering damages to or even complete losses of their homes from the extreme weather patterns present in our times.  I just feel so stricken and helpless.  I expect we all do.

Tomereader1

Well, I've browsed through all my regular boards, and give thanks for the "regular" posters.  Not a lot going on in any of them!  But, hello and wishes for a good day to Shirley, Amy, Patricia, Marilyne, Gloria & Denver, and all the gals over in Bosom Buddies.  I would suppose everyone is deflated by the heat, watching the Olympics or enjoying being lazy.  I have veggies I need to be cooking before they fall into a rotting pattern.  If I could think of what kind of meat I need to thaw to complete the menu?? I have salmon, tilapia and who knows what all in the big freezer...decisions, decisions.  Later, all. Stay out of the heat, read something good, binge a good TV show or take a nap.  Shirley, let's go for take-out! A nice big, juicy hamburger, eh? 

MaryPage

An article about this artist made the front page of our local paper yesterday.

Blows my mind!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DivaCrows

Marilyne

Mary Page -  Like you, the Diva Crow,  totally blows my mind!  I have read and heard for years, that crows are extremely intelligent, and I guess this is one good example.   Now I definitely want to find out  more about the wonders of crows!   All that I know about them, I have learned from the few who hang out around the bird bath in my back yard.   Fascinating to watch.

Tome -  I'll join you for that big juicy hamburger!  I haven't had one for the longest time - don't remember when?  Sounds like the perfect food for a Summer's day.

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

Jenny, I've seen stories about the floods in AZ and also in CO.  Jefferson County was mentioned.  Do you know if anything affected Centennial?

MaryPage, the Diva Crow is interesting.  Neighbor and I are often visited by three crows while we're visiting on her patio (I've named them Heckle, Jeckle and Clyde}.  We're sure they have conversations about us.  One will caw in a certain pattern and another will answer with a different pattern.  Back and forth it goes.

Ooh, Marilyne and Tome,  may I join you for the JUICY hamburger?  Nothing better than a patty cooked on a well seasoned and greased grill.  The "healthy" ones are dry and  :buck2: IMO.
I'll also have some old-fashioned greasy French Fries to go with it.

I slept well but woke up in a foul mood and haven't wanted to do anything but sit and grumble about Life In General.
Maybe I need chocolate.....or a juicy hamburger.  ;D

Later, Taters....

MaryPage

If you can't make up your mind, Callie, take the burger, and I'll graciously take the chocolate.

CallieOK

0h, thankyeweverso, MaryPage.  How about we go halves on both?

Amy

I can speak about the crows as I have a family of them that will start at 5:30 to call  or rather caw for their breakfast. One thing you will notice about the crows if they find food, they do not fly down to eat on their own. They caw for others to share in the bounty. During the day if I have something to put out for them I will whistle ,come in the house and they are right there on the ground. I can't see them when I go out ,maybe they are hiding in the trees but all too soon they are here. Very interesting to watch.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

MaryPage

Amy, that is fascinating.  I have lived all this long, and never known that about crows.  An article I just read said they hang together in families numbering around 15 crows, and yes, they do let one another know when there is food to be had.  I think the piece said that they have a vocabulary of about 250 sounds, which apparently all crows are able to decipher/understand/use.

The article spoke of one crow they knew about because it was a kept one, lived for 59 years!  Fifty-nine Years!  Wow!

Do tell us of your crows doings from time to time.  I have never been around any for any period of time.  I have seen enough that I can say I probably know one when I see one; but honestly, I am not at all sure I know a crow from a raven from a blackbird, if indeed there is such a bird as a blackbird.

Callie, you are right, of course.  We should split the goodies evenly, and rational thought tells me meat & chocolate would be the healthier choice.  There is that in me, though, that doesn't give a fig for good sense, but wants a diet of chocolate 24/7.  So forgive me if I resent cutting the chocolate ration in half.  On the other hand, knowing it the right thing to do might make me feel just a teensy bit saintly.  I've always yearned to feel saintly.

patricia19

MaryPage, we have only ravens here and I know that lifelong mated pairs have fiercely guarded territories and the juvenile unmated ravens hang in huge flocks harassing others as the young of any species tend to do. If one sees food or an opportunity, they will alert the others in squawks rather than caws. They like cooler weather and spend the summers up in the mountains.

Here is what I found online." Ravens are larger than crows. So they are longer, weigh more, and have greater wingspan. When in flight their necks appear longer than that of a crow. The bill of a raven is also larger. Ravens ride the thermals and soar, whereas crows do more flapping. Also, the raven's tail resembles a wedge, compared to the rounded fan-like shape of the crow's."

"Ravens are the larger of the two, with wingspans around 45 inches. Crows have smaller wingspans, with bodies around the size of pigeons. Crows and ravens are both very vocal. Studies have shown that crows have a "vocabulary" of as many as 250 different sounds! To distinguish a crow from a raven, listen to their calls. Crows most often have an even caw, caw sound, while ravens have a deeper, throatier, croaking call."

"Both can recognize human faces. They are among the few animal species that use tools, and they use clever strategies like throwing nuts onto the ground to break them open. They're also really smart about getting into things, for example, figuring out how to unlatch containers to steal food.

And it has been observed that ravens – unlike most other birds – frequently engage in games and play. "They have been observed sliding down snowbanks, apparently purely for fun," says the article, and "are known for spectacular aerobatic displays, such as flying in loops or interlocking talons with each other in flight, simply for the joys associated with doing so."

MaryPage

Thanks, Patricia.  I find that interesting.  I thought, though, that ravens could say: "Nevermore!"  Also, they have a football team in Baltimore, so they must play that.  I am not a fan of football, so I've never seen them play.

Sandy

Beverly ...I
like the name "Keani"!

Sorry to hear that you are having so much
trouble with your teeth.... 

I gave up on mine at too young an age and
wish that I hadn't .... 

I think that you are brave. 
I was a coward.    I even worked
as a dental assistant for a few years.
Fell in love with my Dentist  (HA HA)

He predicted that I would have problems,
because of m gums.      Ah, live and learn
but with teeth you can never go back. 

Sandy  :uglystupid2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

patricia19

Sandy, I have soft teeth and too many for a small mouth! I had two sets of wisdom teeth, and they ended up pulling all eight. I had so much work done that I fell asleep in the chair one time during a lengthy procedure. The dentist said he had never heard of or seen that before.

Cute, MaryPage! My daughter once had a stuffed raven who, when you squeezed its foot, would say nevermore. Ravens are very smart and are hazards around grocery stores or restaurant parking lots. They had a Youtube video of a raven watching a man ice fishing. When the man looked away, the raven jigged the fishing line and then pulled up and stole the fish!

They aren't the only smart birds, as I just watched an Australian Youtube video of cockatoos opening locked garbage cans and stealing food from them. Now they're teaching it to their flocks. Why do people persist in thinking animals are dumb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SihcSDnGqc8

Shirley

My father had a pet crow when they were young, gr-mother lived with them & accused the boys of taking some of her things... until they found where the crow had been hiding them!!! When I was little he brought home crows that he found injured along the railroad tracks. Dad had his own motorcar because he worked on the signals, & because they had the pet crow, he had a soft spot for trying to help them.

I'm sure that's why I've spent a lifetime of picking up birds & nursing them back until they could fly off. BUT, I haven't had a crow yet. We had one hanging around a few years ago that sounded like it was gargling all the time. Figured it may have been hand raised & learned the sound that way. We have a dove that does a hic-up sound & starts the call over. It's been around a couple years. One crow I video taped was jumping on a Canada goose back to get it to move away from the corn my husband threw out. The different geese the crow did that to never seemed to catch on, would just move to get that crow off their back! You could feel that crow laughing.

MaryPage

Maybe because the dominant animal on this planet can be pretty doggone dumb about some pretty important things.

Amazing, to me, bird story that has been told endlessly in my family for years now.

One of my daughters worked in an aviary for a while.  One day she was using a hose to give a light washing to a dirty bird.  A cockatoo flew over and gave her the eye, and the other bird an eye, and asked: "Wattcha doin?"  "I'm giving ___ (I forget his name) a bath; he was dirty."replied Elizabeth. "I bin good." pleaded the cockatoo.

Marilyne

I love that Cockatoo story, Mary Page!  Cockatoo's are very smart, and can be trained to do all sorts of tricks, plus they love to talk, and respond to questions from us humans!    I always wanted one, but we had cats and dogs over the years, and you can't trust them around a bird of any kind. 

patricia19

There are both cats and dogs that live with and have deep bonds with birds. Often you see them on YouTube. One story was of a bird dog brought home a wounded pigeon that his owners took to a vet.

I have an online friendship with a woman who fosters cats. She has a thirty-year-old parrot who quickly teaches the cats who's boss, if they attempt to harm him. She has sent photos of him riding a couple of her older cats. I have a local friend whose two dogs share their home with a rabbit, and they often sleep in a big pile. I have another friend whose cat hates other cats and will attack them but gets along with dogs because she was raised with them.

Ravens and other birds are often smarter than we give them credit for. That old saw about man being given dominion over all the animals in the air, on the land, and in the sea is just that, an old saw.

Marilyne

Patricia - Yes, I can see where a parrot or any other "talking" bird with a sharp beak, could quickly become boss, in a family with a dog or cat or both.  I'm sure that your friend's 38 year old parrot, rules that entire household - not only the animals, but the humans as well! :D

Here is the most spectacular undersea video that I have ever had the pleasure of viewing!  Breathtakingly gorgeous!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/mcbHKAWIk3I

MaryPage

Thank you, Marilyne.  That was definitely spectacular!

Beverly

I'm enjoying all the bird stories. I know it's not unusual but I've always been intrigued by  mocking birds. You could swear you're hearing other birds, especially cardinals!

I mentioned that my grand-daughter Brynn is expecting twins. It has been a high risk pregnancy since day 1. She's only 31 weeks along and went into labor the other night. She's in the hospital. They were able to stop the contractions but she's still technically in labor. The hope is to put delivery off till she's 32 weeks which is early next week. The babies, a boy and a girl, are estimated to be between 2 and 3 lb. each. The delay should help in their development (heart, lungs, etc.) and give them a better chance. I'm getting text updates from my daughter, Lauri. It's going to be a nerve wracking time for all of us.

Grand-daughter Erin and g-grandson Brody, (Donna's daughter) arrived last night. They're staying in Donna's house for a week or two. I strongly suspect that Donna sent her down to take care of us while she's gone. :) Donna and her husband are hiking The Long Trail from the Massachusetts border to northern Vermont. It's a difficult hike through rough terrain and they're carrying big backpacks. They've also had a lot of rain. Not something I've ever had the desire to do. To top it off, Donna slipped on mud and injured her foot on a big rock. They had to get off the trail for a couple of days. X-rays showed no broken bones, just bad bruises. She texts us every day when they camp for the night.

Enough for now about my family. They do keep my mind busy!!!

Sandy - I'm not brave, just want to keep what few teeth I have left.  ::)  I still have more work to be done on my upper jaw.

Have a good night, everyone.