Random Image

"Fe Fe" 11 months old!

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:48:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  Another clear day with virtually no chance of rain. Only two things on my schedule for today.  The first is to attend my noon meeting and then at 4 pm Pat has another chiropractic appointment.  She can hardly move without severe pain and is having to use the walker to get around.

Yesterday we had a very nice surprise when the doorbell rang and it was our kind neighbor's across the street bringing us a small ham, some steamer vegetables that re fixed in the microwave and a pecan pie.  So the main structure of our evening meal is set.  I may fix a salad.  We have some mushrooms in the refrigerator that I need to get fixed for Pat.  She said they are easy to fix. 

Callie, it is interesting to learn of how different cultures treat different subjects of conversation. 

Hal, don't be hard on yourself.  It is our different personalities and viewpoints that makes life so interesting.  I think we all probably differ in our thoughts and opinions but hopefully we are kind and allow each other the space they need on a particular day to say what they want to say.  I am sure glad you post here.  I had read the same "current identity" piece a couple of days ago.  It is interesting in how we are being divided as a people and the effort to force us to think alike as someone else things we should.   I liked your final addition to the list.

Sandy, one of the things I have always admired about you is that you have lived your life as you wanted. 

Mary Ann, I didn't watch any of the golf in the Olympics and tuned into the PGA John Deere event as the winner finished up the last hole.  Glad you and Dot can have the weekly OTB each Sunday as well as at other times. 

Mary Ann

Dot is going to the funeral of the husband of a church member and I could go too, but decided not to.  Mary, who is going to clean for us is coming this morning so I'll be here for her.  I know the church member too, but not as well as Dot because they are in Bible study together.

I think we have rain forecast for this afternoon, but recently the rains have skirted our area, either north or south of us.  I know it has rained during the night because my impromptu rain gauge has shown a couple of inches of water in it.  "Impromptu" because I broke the tube with the measurements on it so found a test tube and use that.  It is a bit wider than the original but I can "ballpark" it.

Tom is having his eyes tested this morning at Costco.  I told him, Larry, that you had gone there and I had heard good things about them.  Tom has a friend who is a member of Costco and he'll get them through her. 

I heard we will get up to the low 80s today and it is 73 degrees at present.

Mary Ann

JeanneP

We are really getting storms here. Say will rain all day.was asking for it for past 3 weeks. Now it can leave. As usual. Few streets flooding. Not going out today so maybe get a little cleaning done.also ironing. Really piled up on me.

JeanneP

angelface555

Good morning everyone from the Interior and another partly cloudy day with no rain expected. Saturday was also cloudy, but the temperatures reached into the low eighties. I still have paperwork and a grocery trip to fit into today as well as other small errands.

Farrah has made a point of letting me know she wants my attention. She isn't shy about sitting next to me and reaching up to tap my leg or arm and speak to me. I only wish I understood her. It is not food or drink or playing or being picked up that she wants. I'm at a loss. I've even wondered if certain computer sounds bother her ears?

My small planter, balcony greenhouse fell over last evening without a seeming cause. My neighbor from below came up to see what had happened as she said there was a loud sound when it fell. We spent some time untangling the plants, shelves, and plastic and redistributing the dirt back among the plants; I will need to find a cabinet or shelves this month to bring them back inside and keep them away from Farrah.

MaryAnn, I have increasingly wondered about finding a rain gauge for myself. They are not common here at all and would probably have to be ordered online. My neighbor invited me back to her home for a visit after picking up my plants, shelves, and debris and she fixed some olive burgers which were very good.

Larry, I am so sorry that Pat is still in so much pain and I hope the chiropractor is able to help.

Joan, I'm glad Dan had such a good time and I was so glad to see the photos on Facebook.

According to the computer news, the east and southern coasts are expected to have quite a deluge and flooding this week and I hope they, the weather folks are wrong as it looks bad.

I believe we all could take a step back and realize that we are all neighbors and friends on S&F. Larry had a good point of view.

wjoan

Angel, glad you liked the small amount of pics he shared.  He has a lot more in his camera which he will share when he gets home.  Evidently his Cell doesn't hold too many.  So, will see some more soon.  :)

angelface555

Joan, I have two friends here that ride. One in her sixties has gone to a trike as she can no longer sit on an average bike. Another has several bikes and is always working on them, usually Indians and Harleys. I'm looking forward to more pix.

wjoan

Angel, son promised me some more as soon as he gets home and gets them sorted out.  :)  Stay tuned.  LOL

Mary Ann

Patricia, I did order this rain gauge from Williamsburg and it was not too fancy, but it was not a regular rain gauge.  I had it on the floor of the deck and a plant fell off a table onto the gauge, breaking the tube.  I found a test tube that my dad had had for some reason or other and substituted that for the original.  I would think if you went to a store like Fred Meyer you could find one for not too much money.  Mine doesn't have inch marks on it now, but I can tell a couple of inches and if I'm desperate, I can always get a ruler!

It looks as if we will have rain later today and we are under a flood alert until 11 am tomorrow, but we've been missed so often, we may not get it.

Mary Ann

deedee

Quote from: Sandy on August 14, 2016, 05:42:43 PM
Oh poor Hal...

Sorry to see that you are still looking
at your life through the eyes of
other people. 
That is really sad. 
All I see in you is a very nice man,
who is a little insecure about what
other people think of him.

Sandy

Sandy, not to worry. I believe Hal is being coy.

halkel

DeeDee not coy, just being sarcastic.  But most Liberals have no humor.

Mary Ann

Hal, I'm a devout Independent, so I don't know what that makes me  in the political world (my nephew has already told me it makes me a Democrat), but I did realize you were being sarcastic when you posted that piece.  I enjoyed it, could see a lot of truth in it and I copied it to my Potpourri!

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  Another very warm and soon to be hot day here in South Carolina.  In an hour I will make a quick trip to COSTCO for a few items, including getting the car filled with gas.  The morning chores have been completed and I fixed scrambled eggs with ham and cheese and green onion for Pat's breakfast.  She still is in a lot of pain but was able to get some sleep in her easy chair.  I have no other plans requiring me to leave the house the rest of the day.

Mary Ann, glad to see you have someone coming in to help with your housework.   I hope Tom likes the doctor at COSTCO for his eye exam.  I found a nice rain gauge at Walmart and it has big numbers on it that are easy to read.  It was not expensive at all and would buy the same item again if needed.  I did leave mine out last winter and it shows a small crack but does not leak. I will bring it in this winter. 

JeanneP, it seems like a lot of the rains this year have caused some street flooding or worse.  It is unreal what the people in Louisiana are experiencing. 

Patricia, sorry that your balcony greenhouse has let you down.  We never could have houseplants when we had the cat.  It is nice your neighbor came up and helped up pick up the mess and get things back in shape. 

MaryPage

Larry, do tell Pat for me that when I had my Sciatica so bad, I was most comfortable in my easy chair, as well.  It is not a recliner, but an ordinary comfortable upholstered chair with a hassock upholstered to match and make it work like a chaise lounge, but in 2 pieces rather than one.  Back in 1996, I went to Belfort Furniture in Virginia and looked at and sat in literally hundreds of chairs.  They have buildings spread all over that are as large as football fields, just chock full of furniture.  Once I found my happy chair, the salesman had to go away, while I sat triumphant in the sales model of the chair, and bring back the perfect hassock.  Then we went off to the order department with the numbers and I chose the glazed chintz upholstery material I wanted.  I use it as a boudoir chair in my bedroom, and it has been my Happy Chair for 20 years now!  So I relate to Pat's relationship with her chair, as I see my own as the most cozy spot in my entire world!

larryhanna

Quote from: larryhanna on August 16, 2016, 09:26:37 AM
Hi everyone.  Another very warm and soon to be hot day here in South Carolina.  In an hour I will make a quick trip to COSTCO for a few items, including getting the car filled with gas.  The morning chores have been completed and I fixed scrambled eggs with ham and cheese and green onion for Pat's breakfast.  She still is in a lot of pain but was able to get some sleep in her easy chair.  I have no other plans requiring me to leave the house the rest of the day.

Mary Ann, glad to see you have someone coming in to help with your housework.   I hope Tom likes the doctor at COSTCO for his eye exam.  I found a nice rain gauge at Walmart and it has big numbers on it that are easy to read.  It was not expensive at all and would buy the same item again if needed.  I did leave mine out last winter and it shows a small crack but does not leak. I will bring it in this winter. 

JeanneP, it seems like a lot of the rains this year have caused some street flooding or worse.  It is unreal what the people in Louisiana are experiencing. 

Patricia, sorry that your balcony greenhouse has let you down.  We never could have houseplants when we had the cat.  It is nice your neighbor came up and helped up pick up the mess and get things back in shape. 

MaryPage, just a few minutes ago Pat commented on how thankful she is to have her easy chair as can find comfort in it.  It is motorized so will recline and go back to normal position with a switch on the side. 

Mary Ann

Larry, the cat doesn't seem to bother my inside plants.  I have seen him sniffing them, but I see no signs of them being eaten.  However, when we let him out on the front porch, he does chew on some of the weeds - crab grass, for instance.  He does stay close to home when outside.  When I let him on the deck, he likes to hide among my amaryllis plants, but they are not to his liking.  Kendrick does not talk to me like Farrah does with Patricia.  When he does meow, it is very faint. 

Tom was happy with his eye exam at Costco, but he wasn't too happy with the man who tested his eyes.  Tom has two computer screens 18" and 22" from his eyes and he wanted the man to split the difference and the man said he couldn't so that.  Tom said they argued about it and Tom finally gave up.  He probably will move one of the screens.  I know one screen is about as large as my flat screen TV and I think the other one is smaller.  He is getting a dark metal frame.  Tom told me gold-colored frames are "out' and that is what I have and will have until my prescription changes.

Mary Ann

MaryPage

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are describing there, Mary Ann.  Does Tom have, in his rooms, two computers:  one in one room is 18" from his eyes and one in the other room is 22" from his eyes?  Or are both computer screens on the same desk, one at 18" and one at 22" from his eyes?  I have never measured how far this computer monitor screen is from my eyes!  So what was the difference he wanted split?  How does that affect his glass prescription?  I am having a really hard problem with this.  Color me dense!  I go to an ophthalmologist on an annual basis, and never, ever has he or my eye surgeon asked about the size of my monitor or how far it is from my eyeglasses.

Mary Ann

MaryPage, Tom has one computer and two screens.  I don't know the mechanics of it, but Tom is knowledgeable about it.  He is getting computer glasses in addition to regular glasses.  I have a separate pair of computer glasses too.  I think he wants his computer glasses to be at 20" from his eyes to the monitor but I think he will end up moving one of the monitors.  He has a laptop, not a desktop.

I hope the above is not too confusing.

Mary Ann

JeanneP

For me Laptops are just to close to eyes. I like my desktop for long letter writing and S and F and other Internet things. I am very far sighted. I use the IPad a lot and a reader but can then move them around when reading.  They say not to stare at a computer longer then 10 min. Look around the room a lot.
I got a new prescription from my last eye test also. My Dr. watches my eyes close. I don't trust these 2 pair for $60 with a eye test thrown in. Had the same Dr. for 30 years. Only thing is the Hospital do not have a place to get your prescription filled now. Usually they cost a little over $200 Got  my last pair under Medicare after having cataract surgery done. They were $270.
I just use for reading but had him give me a Prescription to see if I can get a by-focal pair . Very light weight. No frame around lenses so that I can keep them on when walking around shopping instead of taking them on and off to check prices etc. Don't need for driving or night driving.
When working I  used Ti-focal.  Clear at top. little circle for to side and bottom for reading close. Could not do them now.
JeanneP

wjoan

Hi all.  Can't say my a/c isn't getting a good work out.  Up to 100 degrees today and tomorrow,  Dan is coming home to heat he thought he had left behind.  LOL  Poor guy.

Mary Ann

Jeanne, I've had bifocals since the 1960s.  I remember walking around downtown being amazed that the ice on the ground did not bother me and I was working downtown at the time.  I now have progressive lenses and I don't know when I started with them.  My computer glasses are the same as the bifocal part of my lenses. 

I was nearsighted, in fact, I am now nearsighted on my right eye and farsighted in my left eye, made that way when I had lens implants.  Works for me.

Mary Ann

angelface555

My eyes are messed up from my spinal meningitis contracted at birth or at least before I left the hospital. I have had nine eye operations and the doctor here said a few years back, that any more would be merely cosmetic. As the behind the  eye muscles weakened as do other  muscles with age.

In the past, I would be either cross-eyed or wall-eyed or somewhere in between, thus the nine operations. Now my left eye sees several print sizes smaller than my right and my right often gets tired and unfocused. I have to blink a few times before it focuses clearly. This is similar to what they called a Lazy Eye, but it is not the same.

It is also why I take off my glasses to read small print or computer reading. There is nothing more they will be able to do as my pupils move slightly up, down or to the side. Not enough to see by looking at my eyes, but enough to mess with my vision.

JeanneP

MaryAnn. Now what are progressive lenses? Are they the ones that change colour as you go outdoors? I should google. I asked Dr. but he just said. You don't need to have those.  Maybe they are more for people that keep glasses on all the time.
JeanneP

angelface555

]Jeanne, "My Eyeglasses   Prescription Lenses   Progressive   Share This   
What are Progressive lenses?

Progressive lenses
A progressive lens is an amazing piece of engineering, allowing multiple vision fields to be incorporated into a single lens without any clear distinction between the fields themselves. The power in the lenses "progressively" changes from far-to intermediate to your full reading power. This is why progressive lenses are often referred to as "no-line" bifocals or trifocals.

And it's why progressive lenses are ideal for patients who have presbyopia â€" a vision condition marked by a decrease in the ability to focus sharply on nearby objects.

As we age naturally, our ability to see nearby objects and objects in the distance can decrease. Progressive lenses address separate visual needs in one lens â€" usually with a "distance viewing" field build into the upper portion of the lens and a "near vision" field built into the lower portion. Rather than a line separating these areas, they are "blended" together, often with the middle portion of the lens serving as intermediate vision correction when necessary.

Unlike traditional bifocals or trifocals, there are no visible lines separating the different fields of a progressive lens. Your eyes are seen clearly behind the progressive eyeglasses, you've got the same "look" as eyeglass wearers often half your age, and there are no "lens lines" to distract your vision."

Mary Ann

Patricia, your description of Progressive lenses is better than any I could give; I could only say there is no line between the two visions - and I like them.  I've had them for years.

Mary Ann

JeanneP

MaryAnn.  I have been researching the ones I thought would interest me. Varilux Progressive Lenses.  Just 2 places in town. One being the big Hospital. But prices start at $700 depending on the frames you pick. So Lost interest in those.  Will go check a couple of Vision Centers later. so what can find. What I have is fine but just in the mood for another shape and colour.
JeanneP

angelface555

Jeanne, I have numerous issues with my eyes and each eye has its own issues as well. However, the last pair of eyeglasses I purchased, progressive lens, bifocal were only $472.00. Where were you looking that they were 700.00?

Sandy

Glasses and Teeth,
The older you get,  the more you need
them, the more they cost, for people with
limited income.   

More Tragic news for the US Medical
Community.

Shameful,  IMHO.
Sandy
:coolsmiley:

Have a nice day, everyone.   I am off
to spend some time with Kelly.
:D
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

MaryPage

And ears!  You are forgetting that we get deaf and deafer, and nowadays they want six thousand dollars and more for hearing aids, a total rip off when you think what a Smart Phone costs and can do, or an iPad, not to mention that my latest entirely brand new computer only cost me sixteen hundred something.  But if you are deaf, they want to soak you and keep on doing so.  And to top it off, they make money selling your name and address to all the hearing aid people in the World!
Good Morning, Everyone.
Color me bitter.
Grump. Grump. Grump.
My water heater broke last night, and it has been a mess, with water, water everywhere.  They are supposed to come today with a new one.  I am in one of those I Hate Everybody moods.
But then I feel guilty when I see the photos of the floods in Louisiana.  Do you ever get the feeling this planet does not thrive well with the humongous miles and miles of human development from top to bottom and all around and is throwing every resource it has at getting rid of the unnatural scab that is us?
One way of looking at it.  Works for me!

Sandy

I know how bad it is for hearing devices,
and also for the pumps people use for diabetes ..... 
Shame shame shame on the USA for its
crappy medical system ...

Here is Fe and Maddie ... 
Boy how time is flying by!

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/gallery/89-170816085031.jpeg

Sandy 
:smitten:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  We have another clear and warm morning and headed up to 95 degrees this afternoon.  I have a relatively quiet day planned with only Pat's chiropractic appointment in the late afternoon and then preparing dinner for Scott on his weekly visit with us.  Just two more weeks to go until we will start back with the Wednesday night dinners at church.

I was checking on the cost of the new medicine my cardiologist prescribed called Entresto, which is now being advertised heavily on TV.  I was shocked to find that the Walmart cost was about $425 dollar for a 30 day supply.  Fortunately I can get it through the mail order pharmacy that Blue Cross/Blue Shield uses and it is $107 for a three month supply.  Needless to say I wrote my doctor's office yesterday to call the prescription in to the mail order pharmacy as I will not buy the medicine at Walmart.  This takes the cost from $5.99 per day down to $1.17 per day.  That is quite a significant difference.   

I used to have a spare set of glasses just for the computer but on several occasions found I forgot to change them and wouldn't notice until I was in the car driving.  For a number of years I have worn the Progressive lenses and they serve me well for everything but playing the piano, which I seldom do anymore. 

Patricia, I obviously have presbyopia as things blur up close without my glasses and are beginning to blur in the distance without my glasses on.  I wear them continually except when I am in bed asleep.

Sandy, you lost me with the comment about "More Trafic new for the US Medical Community".  Are you referring to something specific? I hope you have a wonderful day with Kelly.  That Fe is a real cutey and what a sweet smile. 

MaryPage, sorry to hear of your water heater problems and the mess that creates.