Random Image

twins

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:21:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Sandy, what a cutie.  She has such a nice smile.  She'll break some hearts some day in the future.

MaryPage, a few years ago, I noticed water on the floor of my furnace room where my water heater resides.  My water heater was about 20 years old so I had it replaced.  My disposer went on the fritz a couple of days ago so that is the next thing to be replaced. 

Mary Ann

wjoan

We are still boiling away in the high 90's here. Figure any day now we will be done.  LOL

Lindancer

Another warm, but very windy.  The A/C has not come on yet.

Larry I hope Pat keeps feeling better. the price of meds. can give us a heart attack.
I have to have that shot eery month for my low blood count, last month I had it twice in one month. At #580. Medicare does pay 80%

MaryPage, I do understand about that cost of hearing aids when you do not have ins. that helps.  I have been wearing them for over 30 years.

Hi MaryAnn, Pat June and all my other friends. :grouphug:

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JeanneP

And I am finding my refrigerator has a leek . Water moving fromfreezer down to fridge part
Only about a cup a day. Will have to call service out. Hope not a new one needed. Never seen this before on a fridge.

Now I Was told that other progressive lenses. Can be gotten cheaper but not this brand.
Say Costco one place, we don't have them. SAMs we have.  I will take time. Check around.
JeanneP

angelface555

When I worked at the Alaska Bowl Company before retirement, we sold several different types of local honey. It has many health benefits, health, hair and cosmetically, but the best one, to me, was talking a daily tablespoon to help lessen or stop plant and tree allergies.

This would only work if you used honey that was produced ten miles or less of your location. It makes sense because who would need allergy protection from something not in your area?

I'm going downstairs in a half hour as someone from the University will be here at 11 am to discuss free senior classes available to us. You do not get college credit, just a certificate saying you attended and passed. I may take another class or two. I am only three credits short of a business Masters, but do not want to get back into that particular expensive  rat race now!

angelface555

"Weeks like this, when walking outside feels like swimming through a wall of hot smells and airborne sweat, present a mystery for the 21st-century mind: How, in the days of yore â€" before refrigeration, before electric fans, before air-conditioning â€" did people make it through summer in New York?

The short answer is: A lot of them didn’t. Nearly 1,500 New Yorkers died during a heat wave in 1896, and nearly 700 fell victim to another one in 1901. Hot stretches are still a health hazard, particularly for the elderly and residents of poorer neighborhoods â€" there were roughly 600 heat deaths in the city each year between 2000 and 2006, and experts predict climate change will cause that number to soar in the coming decades â€" but the conveniences of modern life mean they’re not as dangerous as they used to be. Air conditioners became fixtures in public spaces in the 1930s and spread to private homes throughout the middle part of the 20th century. The risk of heat death has steadily dropped in conjunction with AC’s rise"

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/08/too-much-air-conditioning-is-warping-how-you-handle-heat.html?utm_source=howtogeek&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Sandy

Quote from: Sandy on August 17, 2016, 07:58:50 AM
Glasses and Teeth,
The older you get,  the more you need
them, the more they cost, for people with
limited income.   

More Tragic news for the US Medical
Community. 
Shameful,  IMHO.
Sandy
:coolsmiley:

I feel that it is tragic that
the elderly who are on fixed income, have to
spend more and more money on the treatments
that are available to us.     That many people
just can not afford to pay for medications and
the treatments they need  and still maintain
a good quality of life.

So far,  I have been able to absorb the cost of
my medications and treatments.    I believe that
good quality health care should be available for
all people here in the USA.   (Universally).

Time will tell,  I suppose.   Will  it come inn
our lifetime? 
Who knows?   

I guess  that depends on what
politics dishes up to us in the next few years.

JMHO,  naturally!
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

We had our weekly "family" luncheon today and went to the place where Tom and I go for breakfast after I get my haircut.  Terry's wife did not come as I think she had worked many hours and needed to recuperate.  So there were six of us.  We had enough coupons to lessen the total costs.  We get a catalog of ads and coupons each moth and there is always a coupon for them.  I use it for our breakfast when Tom and I eat there.

Before we left, our sky looked like immediate rain and we had a few drops, but the sun came out and it was hot and humid.  It is about 80 degrees now.  And no rain.

Mary Ann

June Drabek

Gloria de, I read that this has been the hottest year across the U.S. in recorded history. I think all of us are tired of the heat.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

halkel

June, part of our summer has been pretty warm, but all in all we have had a cool summer, like right now.  Normally this is the hottest time of the year well into 100's, but day before yesterday the high was 76 degrees and most days the last week or so has been in high 80's or barely in the 90's.  And plentiful rain the last four or five days.   Thank you Lord.

Angel, a/c brought the hordes to Texas.  So yes, a/c has made us Texans a rarity.  Hard to find a native Texan anymore.  And dead gum it, they like it after they get here and we can get rid of them....... ;D

deedee

Quote from: halkel on August 15, 2016, 07:39:56 PM
DeeDee not coy, just being sarcastic.  But most Liberals have no humor.

And Conservatives are a barrel of laughs. Um, okay. I guess GW was just kidding.

I'm neither fish nor fowl, Hal, and I have a well-developed sense of humor.

I knew you weren't serious, I was just alerting everyone here who might have thought you were.

deedee

Quote from: larryhanna on August 16, 2016, 09:47:19 AM
Quote from: larryhanna on August 16, 2016, 09:26:37 AM
Hi everyone. day.

MaryPage, just a few minutes ago Pat commented on how thankful she is to have her easy chair as can find comfort in it.  It is motorized so will recline and go back to normal position with a switch on the side.

Larry, I can empathize. Hubby has spinal stenosis and cannot sit in a 'comfy chair' or on our 'comfy couch'. He is comfortable only in a hard backed chair. Epidurals and possibly, hopefully not, surgery are in his future.

Awful stuff, back and leg problems. In his case, comes from 50 years (and he's only 65) of working on cars. There's an 8mm of him driving a Crosley (!) when he was 10 or so.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  Another hot day in store for us.  I just got the trash bin, some cardboard for recycling and my broken window to the street as this is pickup day.  Scott put the new replacement window in for me yesterday evening and it is nice to look out this morning and not see a broken window pain.  It appears that the carpenters finished their work on the new house across the street and I expect the shingles to be put on next although they haven't yet been delivered. 

We had a nice visit with Scott last evening and enjoyed the meal that I had worked on all day long, off and on as could only work a little while and then had to sit down and rest. 

I woke up around 5 am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep so I decided to listen to the audiobook I am currently into.  I had my shower/shave and laid back down and read through all of my email and the messages here on the three discussions I follow.  I didn't want to get up until after 8 as knew Pat would be sleeping, which she is still doing.  As soon as she awakes I will water my plants and fix our breakfast.  Since this is Thursday I will pick up my friend and we will go to coffee.  I will then take him home and go back downtown for the Wisdom class at the church.  I think I will eat a sandwich out for lunch and then make a quick stop at Aldi's for some fruits and vegetables.  When I get home I can then rest before taking Pat for her chiropractic appointment.  I spoke too soon yesterday about her feeling better as she had a pretty miserable day anytime she had to move around.  I know she is not going to get better overnight but just keep hoping the treatments and time will help her get back where she can walk and move without pain and having to use the walker or cane. 

Since I have written a short book above, I will be brief on further comments today.

deedee, glad your husband has someplace to sit that is comfortable for him. 

Mary Ann

While at lunch yesterday, it was mentioned that John Mc Laughlin of the Mc Laughlin Group had died.  I did not find any mention in the first page news of Yahoo but when I put his name in Search, two or three items came up with the news he had died.  I just think it is strange that no mention was made.  I did not watch his program, but I was aware of it.  I didn't listen to the program because it was so noisy.  I wonder if the program will continue with someone else as moderator.

Mary Ann

MaryPage

It was all over the news last night, Mary Ann.  In particular, I watched ABC nightly news with David Muir, and he did a piece on him.  This was followed by the NBC nightly news with Lester Holt, and he, too, did a piece.  Oh, and before EITHER of them, there was a quick bulletin on our local news, which I always watch not just to keep up with the community, but most particularly to hear the local weather report. Then I tuned in the last half of Chris Matthews on MSNBC, and he did a fine piece on him and his 30 years of talking politics and practically inventing the cable news talk shows and panels.  I also heard his passing mentioned on other shows last night and then again this morning.

Yes, I thought he had a great send off.  I expect it is a matter of what you were watching.  Many, many years ago, I used to watch as a regular thing, but I, too, got turned off by all the noise and racket, and to tell the truth, until the news of his death, I had no idea his show was still going!

angelface555

Good morning from another partly cloudy, partly sunny Interior day. I just looked over at Farrah, sitting beside my chair and she was sitting up and batting her front paws at me like a dog turning tricks. I wish those people who mistreated her would receive some of their abuse! It took only a little time to see she is a brilliant, loving animal. The fact that the majority of the domesticated animals are the same is the true tragedy with human selfishness.

There is an entire catalog of university classes available to seniors, but they aren't free as I thought. It is ten dollars a class, steep for me, but I know what the regular students will be paying. I'm not sure if I will be taking any or not as some run at the University later than the buses run.

In the afternoon we had a presentation about diabetes from the nurses at the hospital. That was absorbing as they stressed keeping active and eating more fruit and vegetables and fewer fruit juices and couch surfing.

They also emphasized eating clean and wished everyone would give up sodas, energy drinks, and those syrupy coffee drinks. They described sugar in the blood as sticky, rough shaped molecules that stressed the vessels,  body and caused or contributed to causing many diseases as well as the principal one.

All in all, an interesting day.

The more I hear about television, the more I'm glad I don't have one.

I receive from the farm, a gallon jar of local honey for far less than what you might pay at the grocery store. I do save 15% by washing the jar and returning it back to the farm after each delivery.

JeanneP

I didn't realize that McLaughlin was 89 I believe the paper said.  I would catch his show once in a while. I didn't care for it though. He seemed to always be shouting. Suppose he had his own style. Was on a long time and did in week prior to passing.
JeanneP

Mary Ann

MaryPage, if I watched the news on TV I would have heard something about John Mc Laughlin, but I was looking at my Yahoo home page - not a mention.  I put his name in a search and there were several mentions about his death.  Maybe Gwen Ifill will mention it Friday.

A while ago the cat and I were on the deck and a huge bird flew into a tree next door.  It was not a duck because they don't fly into trees.  I got the cat inside quick because I think the bird may have been a hawk and I did not want Kendrick to be its next meal.  After we were inside, I saw the bird leave.  He loves to be outside, but doesn't get many chances.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good afternoon, cloudy day, and I have the slider open Taffy likes that.

MaryAnn, I did see in our paper the J.McLaughlin had died.  I did not watch his program.
I see Hawks overhead, just circleing, but never landing.  The catbird, use to attck our other cat, if he was in the yard.

deedee, I also have spinal stenosis, and I have a stright back chair, that a neighbor gave me, and I set in it all the time.  Our first car was a Crosley, we bought it 2nd hand and was worried we could not make the $35. paymemts a month.  Our first year of married life, we had a bycyle  for transportion. or the bus.  We were so happy we finally had a car!?

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

wjoan

Well, it looks like son posted 102 pics in an album on FB.  I cannot find them but then I am blind.  Good luck if you can get into his Timeline and see them.

angelface555

http://www.wbur.org/npr/489790412/will-your-prescription-meds-be-covered-next-year-better-check

"CVS Caremark and Express Scripts, the biggest prescription insurers, released their 2017 lists of approved drugs this month, and each also has long lists of excluded medications. Some of the drugs newly excluded are prescribed to treat diabetes and hepatitis. The CVS list also excludes some cancer drugs, along with Proventil and Ventolin, commonly prescribed brands of asthma inhalers, while Express Scripts has dropped Orencia, a drug for rheumatoid arthritis."

Mary Ann

Patricia, I'm fortunate as I take only four prescription meds and Express Scriipts will continue to carry them.  The most expensive is $40 for a three-month supply; all others are less expensive.

Mary Ann

angelface555

wjoan

I have only two pills I take each day.  One is for Thyroid, one for blood pressure.  Of course there is the insulin also.  That is it tho.

Mary Ann

This afternoon Tom and I drove to Holland to pick up some food that our cleaning person had cooked for us.  I had given her a recipe for Cabbage Roll Casserole that we had liked.  She had her doubts about it and was reluctant to take the printed recipe.  Tonight she told me how good it is.  So she will make it again!

We got home at the time I usually go to bed and I have a cat that is after me to get started because HE wants to go to bed!

I'll check more folders then I will head for bed.

Mary Ann

junee

MARYANN
now that cabbage roll casserole sounded so good.  Maybe you will have visitors.
Just showing you I have not forgotten what you taught me. lOL

ðŸ'ðŸ'ðŸ'

larryhanna

Hi everyone on this Friday Morning.  I am looking forward to a quiet and restful day at home today as have been on the go all week and by yesterday evening was totally exhausted.  I went to bed early and slept for over 9 hours.  I didn't get home yesterday until 2 pm and had to leave again at 3:45 for Pat's chiropractic appointment.  Fortunately, I had prepared salad for us earlier and so had a quick meal with ham and salad.  I did fix her a good scrambled eggs, green onions, cheese and ham breakfast with a bowl of strawberries for breakfast.

I always liked John McLaughlin, although it has been years now since I last watched him.  At least each of his panelists were allowed to speak and they didn't talk over each other like many of the program today seem to tolerate.  Maybe this changed in recent years, or I don't remember correctly,  as I see both Mary Ann and MaryPage mentioned the noise.

Patricia, a $10 fee with the cost to regular students doesn't seem like much but understand that on a limited income the money might be needed elsewhere. I expect you would also need to purchase at least one book, which would bring the outlay up. Sometimes I agree with you on doing without television as Pat will have the volume way up when not using the headphones.  Last evening it was getting on my tired nerves and I asked her to just turn it off, which she did.  Thanks for posting that link to the list of medication that won't be covered by insurance next year.  I will definitely compare it to what Pat and I take.  Fortunately neither of us require and EpiPen.

Mary Ann, how nice of your cleaning person to prepare the recipe for you.  Only in the last few years did I discover that I really like cooked cabbage and your recipe sounds good. 

deAngel, I expect a lot of us can relate to those early married years when we wondered where the money would come from to pay a car payment, rent, etc.  I know Pat and I went from paycheck to paycheck for a long time when the expenses of raising a family seemed to take every cent.  I always insisted that we pay our bills, get food in for the time until the next paycheck and only then did we consider other things. 

wjoan

We are still boiling away here at the high 90's.  This morning Dan will be over and tell me all about Sturgis.  He took some awesome pics.

Mary Ann

Larry, in the first part of the Mc Laughlin Group, the panelists were allowed to speak, but in the last half, they all tried to top each other and it was very noisy.

The Cabbage Roll Casserole recipe came from Amy in the Soda Shoppe.  I did make it and both Tom and I liked it.  I had the ground beef to make it again, but Mary (cleaning lady) took the meat and used it to make the casserole for us.  She was rather reluctant to make it, never having heard of it, but when she did make it, she said it was so good!  I think when/if I find a recipe that sounds good, I'll show it to her and see if she wants to make it. 

Well, we spent a couple hours this morning at Blodgett Hospital Emergency because I had another nose bleed.  It started at 4 am and I was awake, just lieing there when I realized what was about to happen.  I managed to stop it for a half hour, but it started up again and wouldn't stop.  I woke Tom and we went to Emergency where the doctor put in a different packing.  As we age, our nasal membranes are thinner and those things happen.  I feel like I've been up for ages and I guess I have â€" it's just after 10 am.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a yet again, rainy day in  the Interior. Farrah has come so far that now she not only taps me for attention but she "yells" at me if I am slow in noticing! Either that or she's figured out who's the boss!  ;)

What made me so angry about the medicine is the significant increases and costs for needed medications, such as the EpiPen increasing over 480% in such a small time. Meds for chronic diseases are real money makers for our pharmacy companies, and profit is their bible and goal!

I am lucky in that I only need a few adjustments so far and a need to see if it is a worsening of my disability or something new that has come up. This is why I'm so happy about Medicare, so far anyway!