Random Image

AZ MAY 2004 (80).JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 11:42:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

halkel

Well, I think JeanneP has every right to express how she feels.  And a lot of what she says I agree with.  Kelly hated to be disagreed with and he and I had some words over his thoughts and my thoughts on different matters.  I have nothing to apologize for nor does he, should he ever desire to return to this forum.  Yes, he as well as others have disabilities.  Many on this forum have disabilities, including myself.  Some from birth, others from old age and deterioration of bodies.  That is life, like it or not.

At any rate, I don't think JeanneP's comments are cruel, just what she feels and I support her right to say it.

angelface555

Hal, while I may or may not agree with her or your post or even others here, I do not agree with the way posts are made if rude. Yes we all have issues of some type,  and we seldom all agree, all the more reason to be considerate of others and especially if they are not here to defend themselves.

halkel

Angel, rude, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.  Truth as some see it is not rude, it may be blunt and others may not like it, but it exist.

MaryPage

"It's not our job to play judge and jury, to determine who is worthy of our kindness and who is not. We just need to be kind, unconditionally and without ulterior motive, even - or rather, especially - when we'd prefer not to be." Josh Radnor

Yes, mean words exist.  So do other forms of evil.  But then there is this for a rule of living:
"As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

wjoan

I have learned to keep my mouth shut if I have something to say that is not P/C  .  Since I am free to THINK what I  want, that will do for me.

so_P_bubble

and take a deep-deep breath, wjoan?  :D :thumbup:

I think we have said enough on this topic.

Beverly

Thank you Bubble!

I'm concerned that all may not be well with Kelly. He corresponded with me many times, and expressed that he considered it rude if someone he sent an e-mail or PM did not reply promptly. He felt the same about the forums.  For this reason, I think that those who e-mailed him would have received a response. He was reserved about his personal life so we don't have a lot to go on.

We had a similar situation with Jerryb1. He was a very private man and without warning, just dropped out of sight. He was in his late 80s and a regular poster, so I assumed he had passed on. I had his last name on an e-mail, but when my computer crashed I lost all my saved messages.

It's very helpful when S&F members give a family or friend contact to one of the moderators.

Thunder boomers outside.....There are storms in the Atlantic off Florida, so we may have a few days of rain, etc. to look forward to. The temp has dropped to 79. Joan Lavelle's area south of us could really use the rain!

Where is Mary Ann today?

Leftover rotisserie chicken for supper, so guess I should "nuke" a "baked" potato to go with it.

JeanneP

Oh! Boy.  This is the reason so many people leave forums.  Some believe what everyone writes and others use their Discretion and question things a little. Others who will think but never want to say anything. That is the one thing wrong with Talking on computers. People  are all strangers not knowing each other. Can say what one wants.  Who is to question.  Many people have fallen for many things on line.  Hearts broken and money lost. 

I had E-M from Kelly at the Start. So had my opinions from then. Also me being from England and familiar with thing he would say I would know a little more about the Truth and fiction .
Maybe he will return and make you happy. I for one hope he is well.

Last word from me....
JeanneP

Sandy

today my new Nexus 5x smart phone arrived,
and I am so excited.... 

Finally I have my smart phone back...
Of course it is smarter them me!

:wave2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Beverly, I'm here, thank you.  When everyone else is talking, I let them talk and I just listen. 

We had our weekly family luncheon today minus Jan, Terry's wife.  I didn't hear why she didn't come but I know she's been studying for a seminar she is to attend in Ohio this week.  She's in her final studies for the Methodist ministry.  Terry and Jan's folks were there, so there were six of us.  We went to a Polish restaurant where we've eaten before on a Wednesday and it was very crowded.  Today, Monday, it was not crowded and it also was very quiet.  What Polish food I've had there I have not liked so today I had a Cubano sandwich of pulled pork and sliced ham.  It also had bread and butter pickles and a tasty dressing on rye bread.  I liked it much more than the cabbage rolls I had had previously.

Annie was to come tonight to do a few things for me but she called that she can't come tonight and would come tomorrow about 7:30.  That will be fine and if she comes nearer 8 pm I can watch all of Jeopardy.

Mary Ann

Beverly

Mary Ann - I think it's great that you have a weekly family luncheon. Wish my family could do that but Chape and I are the ones who moved 1400 miles away.  :) Also the kids are scattered across Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

Added some cooked broccoli and spinach to supper. I like easy when it comes to meals. If it were up to me, I'd have a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk.  :D

Spent two hours dozing in the recliner so I hope I can sleep tonight.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It looks like it will be a nice day and not quite as hot, although will be in the low 90's this afternoon.  We had just a brief sprinkle yesterday afternoon at the time I took Pat for her chiropractic appointment.  Of course, it all dried up completely.

Yesterday really got to me and by evening I was really tired.  Then when I started to make dinner I discovered that when Pat had moved her hummingbird feeder over from the island in the kitchen to the sink some remaining sugar water had spilled out on the floor.  What a mess and by the time I got that cleaned up I had to put dinner off for awhile so I could recover from all the bending over.  For some reason bending over really gets to me.  I went to bed shortly after dinner and had 10 hours of sleep and rest and feel refreshed to begin the new day.

Today I plan a quieter day.  I have a 10:15 appointment with my cardiologist as a followup to changing the medicine.  Of course with the mix-up with the mail order pharmacy I haven't been taking the medicine for the last 9 days.  On the way back home I will go by Aldi's for some vegetables and fruit and a couple of other things we need.  Then we plan on going to lunch at Ruby Tuesday's.  We got another of the buy one and get one free coupons that is good only today.  So we are taking advantage of it and I won't have to do any cooking today other than fix some scrambled eggs for Pat's breakfast.

Patricia, I relate to your comment about looking perfectly healthy while you are not. When I look in the mirror I look very healthy and do to others but that is just not the case.  I guess we are examples of trying to judge the book by the cover.  With this weak heart it doesn't take much to tire me and when I go too far I have trouble holding my head upright and start leaning to the right or forward. 

Beverly, sure hope you all don't have flooding with the storm headed your way.

I consider Kelly a friend, as I do each of you, and am glad we each have our own opinions otherwise this would be a very dull world.  I do hope he is able and decides to return. We sure don't want to lose any of our friends here for any reason. 

Sandy, glad you got your phone and in no way it is smarter than you.  We all have a learning curve with something new.  I find if I don't use my skills in an area for a long time, such as doing any HTML coding, I no longer can recall the processes involved.

Mary Ann, I think there is quite a process of examination required to be designation as a Methodist minister.  I haven't yet mastered all of the terms we Methodist's use.  That was an exciting match on Jeopardy last evening with that lady pulling out the win with that last moment Double Jeopardy question. 

Sandy

Good Morning ... 
I spent most of yesterday getting my phone set up...
Actually,  getting everything but the phone set up,
as the phone part I will get started after the first of
the month.   

But using Wifi,  I can use just about everything
phone and text.   

The camera is going to be great once I
get the hang of how to use it!     

Here is a picture of the Orchids that I wintered over
this year.     (This is the second time that they bloomed)

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/gallery/89-300816084234.jpeg

Have a good day,  Everyone.
Sandy
:coolsmiley:

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

If you look at the Grand Haven site, you will notice a large vessel in the channel and they have started taking down the catwalk, beginning at the outer lighthouse. 

I came upon a site in the Grand Rapids news that showed pictures of the catwalk over the years, I think the oldest was 1966, but, of course, I was a kid much earlier than that.  If I can find it and manage to get it here, I will, but don't hold your collective breaths!

Mary Ann

Sandy

Wow,  MaryAnn  ...  So the Catwalk
is getting a new face lift.
Does that mean that people will be
able to walk out there on it, in the future?   
(Safely?)

Sandy
:coolsmiley: 

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, that orchid picture is beautiful.  If you hadn't said so, I would have believed that Sato posted it; it is the sort of picture he would take and post.

By taking down the catwalk, they will refurbish the pier itself, then replace the catwalk.  There was some talk of not replacing the catwalk but I think there were a lot a protests against that so I think it will be put back.  The entire project will take about a year and the pier will be closed during that time.  I'm going to hunt for the catwalk story -

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2016/08/crews_begin_removing_iconic_la.html

There are over 30 pictures and you get blanks for number 6, 12, 18, 24, 30.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Thanks Mary Ann for that link to
the pictures of the catwalk....   
I think that it would be a nice place to take a
stroll,  when the weather is  good !!! 

But oh those STORMS!!!
:tissue: 

Sandy
:calm:

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

I just looked to test the link to the catwalk story and I'm glad I did because what you see from the link is not what I saw this morning.  I saw old pictures of the catwalk which were interesting but this link shows the crews actually dismantling the catwalk.  The story beneath the pictures tell more of the story.  I didn't recheck that to see if that was different.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

I don't dare add to previous replies because I often lose the whole thing when I do.

Sandy, many people, mostly young dare-devils, go on the pier when the weather is bad.  I think each year there are close to a dozen drownings because of weather conditions.  Rip currents are very frequent. 

Mary Ann

Joy

MaryAnn,  thanks for the link to the pictures of taking the catwalk down.   I am surprised that they would let people out to watch.  I did notice that there was a fence that the people couldn't get too far out.  I am sure that will be a big attraction for a couple days.   I really enjoy watching that web cam, although, you can't see much of the beach now that the trees have gotten so big. 

Joy
BIG BOX

MarsGal

MaryAnn I am going to send the link to the pictures to my best friend. He likes lighthouses, so he might like to see the pix.  I take it they are removing the catwalk only and not the whole pier. I expect they will be doing repairs to the pier where needed too. Is this correct?

ps: the link to the old-time pictures are below the video clip.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, yes, to the best of my knowledge, they are removing only the catwalk.  There is more information in the story that accompanies the pictures.  The pier will be repaired and the catwalk restored.  I don't know if people will be able to walk on the catwalk when it is restored, but there were a lot of protests when it was suggested it would be removed permanently.  It was a thrill when I was a youngster to be able to walk up there.  I think there were boards to walk on which were not there in later years - and walking up there was not permitted (although some people did get up there.).

Mary Ann

deedee

Quote from: halkel on August 29, 2016, 01:35:55 PM
Well, I think JeanneP has every right to express how she feels.  And a lot of what she says I agree with.  Kelly hated to be disagreed with and he and I had some words over his thoughts and my thoughts on different matters.  I have nothing to apologize for nor does he, should he ever desire to return to this forum.  Yes, he as well as others have disabilities.  Many on this forum have disabilities, including myself.  Some from birth, others from old age and deterioration of bodies.  That is life, like it or not.

At any rate, I don't think JeanneP's comments are cruel, just what she feels and I support her right to say it.

Quelle surprise.

deedee

Quote from: angelface555 on August 29, 2016, 01:51:14 PM
Hal, while I may or may not agree with her or your post or even others here, I do not agree with the way posts are made if rude. Yes we all have issues of some type,  and we seldom all agree, all the more reason to be considerate of others and especially if they are not here to defend themselves.

Well said, angelface.

I hope Kelly is okay, and I look forward to his return and his responses to these cruel posts about him and the defense of cruelty against him.

Oh, and for those boo-hoo'ing poor Halkel, check out the political board. He has been cruel for years, hence the quelle surprise.

so_P_bubble

deedee, do you have a pet?  I mean a cat or a dog?

junee

Mary Ann was so pleased to see those photos of Grand Haven as have a picture memory of my visit there when I met Norm and Dot.  Pat Scot and I and pat's dog,Georgie set out to walk the pier.  At sunset and all the little boats were returning. People in the future will be able to enjoy the renovations.

Mary Ann

Junee, since the camera is aimed at the pier, we'll be able to see the progress made on the pier.  It's too bad the view isn't closer but we can see some. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  Another clear sky this morning but it was already 80 degrees when I got to the kitchen this morning.  So it will be another hot day. 

My doctor's appointment yesterday went well.  She took me off of the diuretic (Lasik) I had been taking and told me I needed to limit my fluid intake to no less than 32 or more than 64 ounces a day.  Since I have always consumed a lot of liquid each day this will require a retraining process for me.  She gave me a different statin drug until I can finally get the Entresto approved by Blue Cross & Blue Shield.  She wants me to get my blood pressure up to a minimum of 65 as she feels the diastolic is just too low.  I will see her again in two months.   

I plan a light day today with our only time away from the house the chiropractic appointment for Pat late this afternoon.  Scott will be with us this evening and will help get the dinner ready. I have several tasks to do here in my office this morning.  My regular morning chores are completed except to fix Pat's breakfast when she gets up and that is easy this morning as just have to pop the sausage muffins in the microwave.  The strawberries are already out and thawing.

Sandy, what beautiful flowers and a great picture.  These cameras in phone now take such quality pictures.  Just seeing those beautiful flowers would certainly brighten a day. 

I have read everyone's posting since I posted yesterday.  Good to see each of your posts. 

Mary Ann

I thought I was going to have sad news today but things turned out OK.  Yesterday when he left for breakfast, Tom let the cat out with the expectation that I would be in the kitchen shortly and let him in.  Tom didn't tell me he was letting the cat out, just figured I'd be in the kitchen.  Of course, I did not go in the kitchen and Tom was gone a couple of hours.  In late afternoon, Tom came to my door and said, "I might have lost the cat".  Then he told about letting him out and it was now about six or seven hours after that.  I was stunned because what was I going to do without my buddy.  And I don't want to get another cat - young or old.  All evening long, we looked out the doors to see if the cat was near and no luck.  I left the porch light on until I went to bed and when I got up to go to the bathroom during the night, Tom had come up and turned it back on again.  Can you imagine - leaving the porch light on for the cat!!!  I got up shortly before six and looked out the door, but no cat.  About 6:45 the cat came into the computer room to greet me.  Tom said when he turned on his light, the cat came to his window, which was open, to let him know he was home.  He doesn't look any the worse for wear, no burrs or anything like that.  We do have animals around here at night, especially raccoons but Kendrick had no open sores or anything like that.  I sure wish I could talk "cat" to find out what he did during those hours.  He is not going out on the front porch without any supervision for a while.  He is a curious cat - in more ways than one!

Anyway, a happy ending.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  Another beautiful morning for South Carolina.  My quiet day yesterday didn't turn out that way as seemed there was something that needed to be done all day, except when I laid down to rest in the afternoon for a couple of hours.  I spent the morning with chores and then clearing up a bunch of paperwork that had accumulated for several days.  Then the afternoon hours were devoted to doing a load of laundry and fixing things for last night's dinner and getting Pat to her Chiropractic appointment (which we do again this afternoon). 

Today I don't have to pick up my friend to go to coffee as he has a doctor's appointment.  I do plan on going to coffee and then to the Wisdom Class at the church.  Hopefully Pat will feel up to going to out eat our main meal today and if not I will go out and bring something back. I have to get some monthly bills paid this morning as well.  So there is plenty to do today but I will be taking it at a slow pace.

Mary Ann, sure glad that Kendrick finally came back.  He was just doing what cats do while he was out and about but knew where to find his food and his friends.