Random Image

tomato

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:57:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryPage

Sounds as though you went to Panera's, Mary Ann.  I love, love, love their tomato soup in the bread bowl.  I eat it all up, and then bring the bread bowl home and enjoy it later.

JeanneP

MaryAnn. I think the Bad Tornados ran out before getting into Indiana.  Going East through Ohio, Pa. clear into new York it seem there weather nice.  90s up in Connecticut.

Well Sad thing happened. So hard to give up  Tradition.  Saturday night at 6pm  30 years watching Lawrance Welk shows.  They have gone. Left Public Tel.  Many sad people around here. Retirement places put a letter to the Editor about it today. What will they do?
JeanneP

angelface555

We have volcanos, floods, fire and earthquakes ,but I'd take them over a tornado or cyclone! Too frightening and little warning!

A good friend of mine makes bread bowls by braiding together the dough and wrapping it over ovenproof bowls and baking it. The bowls shape the bread and come off easily.

But her favorite dessert is so easy and so delicious! She puts dessert bowls on a baking sheet, melts chocolate and puts it in a baggie, before snipping off a corner. She goes up and over each bowl completely as if she was braiding it.

Going all one way and then putting it in the freezer for ten to 15 minutes Then she takes it out and goes the other way, repeating until she has a solid braided bowl.

After freezing completely, she takes them out, discards the dessert bowls,  and fills the chocolate bowls with scoops of vanilla ice cream. Oh, so good!

You may also use different flavors of ice cream or another sweet filling as well.

Mary Ann

Jeanne, I was watching something else at the time Lawrence Welk would be on and I'm not sure if in my changing channels that I saw a snippet, but it is listed in my PBS TV guide. 

I looked at the link that Jack gave and for Grand Rapids and/or Kent County, it showed 1-0-80 and I d on't remember what the categories were.  I do know we had tornadoes in 1956 and 1965.  My dad had just bought a new-to-him 1956 Chevy Bel-Aire and I had the car at the bowling alley.  We had no power there so we all stood in the doorway of the alley and watched a green sky in the west.  In 1965 Norm's first wife was in the hospital following back surgery.  Fortunately neither tornado touched down near us.

Tom got home tonight after taking a couple friends to PA so one of them could visit her son.  It is about a 9-10 hour drive and they did hit some heavy rain in Ohio.  He is tired and headed for bed as soon as he got here.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

MaryPage, no we did not go to Panera's but to a neighborhood restaurant.  Dot had cheese-broccoli soup.  When I go to Panera's I get the cheese-broccoli soup in a glass bowl, not bread. 

Patricia, your friend's dessert sounds delicious but I would not be making it - too much time and I'd be the only one to eat it.

Mary Ann

Joy

Patricia,  I have melted chocolate and then blew up small balloons and dipped them half-way into the melted chocolate and put them in the fridge until they set.  Then fill them with ice cream.

The very first time I made them, the chocolate was too hot and the first balloons popped.  What a mess with chocolate spattered all over the place.  So, I learned quite fast to let the chocolate cool down a little.  They are real neat looking because they have kind of a rough edge from only dipping them half-way.   Taste good, too.

Joy
BIG BOX

larryhanna

Hi everyone on this Sunday morning.  It is already up to 80 degrees and it is just a little after 8 am.  There is a chance for some isolated thundershowers, which would be most welcome.  I didn't get the car out of the garage yesterday but stayed home and got 8 of the 9 things I had on my To Do list done.  It was a busy and productive morning.  Today I just plan on going to Sunday School and Church and bringing something home for our main meal of the day.  I will prepare Pat's breakfast if she gets up before I have to leave in about an hour.  She wants me to fix some scrambled eggs this morning. If she doesn't get up in time I will get her sausage muffins ready for the microwave.  I have already peeled an orange which we decided last evening we would share this morning.  I did watch some of the football games yesterday and last evening but two of the teams I was pulling for lost while two more I am following won.  I will probably watch some of the pro games this afternoon.

JeanneP, sure glad those tornadoes left you alone.  In the early 70's we lived in Springfield, Illinois in a mobile home and I was always a bit worried about storms.  It has been years since we watched the Lawrence Welk show but it was always enjoyable.  Too bad they took it off the air in your area. 

Patricia that sounds like my kind of chocolate dessert. 

MaryPage, I like Panera's but we haven't gone to the one here in Augusta yet.  I like the soup bread bowl but they can keep the soup as I like the bread better than the soup.  However, they do have good soup I have to admit.

Mary Ann, I bet you were relieved to see Tom walk in and know the trip was safely made. 

Joy, you gave me a good laugh this morning with the exploding chocolate balloons although I am sure you didn't see any humor in the situation at the time. 

Mary Ann

Thinking he would be tired from all of his driving, I told Tom I thought he'd relax today.  Now, Tom loves to drive, so it isn't the hardship others might feel.  He came upstairs all dressed up and he's heading for Holland to see James and friends.  That's not quite what I would call relaxing, but I guess it is for him.  I imagine tomorrow he'll catch up on some of his work, but I need things done too that he does, such as laundry and going to the store.  Everything will get done.

We have a bright but chilly morning here.  When I first got up about 7 am the temp was 51 degrees, up only one degree from last night but it is now 62 degrees.   I think it will get up to 70 before the day is done.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a clouded Interior!

I was feeling queasy yesterday, yawning with lots with watering eyes and runny nose. It was enough to believe I had a new allergy. However, it better be a cold from my Friday's outing, I just refuse to let another allergy into my life! I went to bed at 5:37 PM and slept until 8:47 AM.

Today there is a Fall Cook Out in the Parking Lot from 12 to 2 with hamburgers, hotdogs and the like, put on by the company that I am debating on whether to go or not. I am one of those that likes to play hermit or gets caught up in other things and forgets all about the activity! We just had a Labor Day potluck in the social room. Fall starts up with all the clubs and social events that run through the winter.

Farrah received a new paper bag Thursday, and she is busy tossing in her felt toys, growling while she goes and drags them out and growling and hissing while she sat up on her haunches and threw them about!  She has also jumped upon the window table and thrown them off with a jerk of her head. I know these poor felt toys are long dead by now!  ::)  ;D

Joy, I copied your post and sent it to Linda, she loves to cook, and it relaxes her, and she has many "close friends" because of it. Alice complains that her husband always asks when she's going to visit Linda again?  :thumbup: Says it is giving her a complex!

MaryAnn, I'm glad Tom reached home okay. I used to love going on Sunday drives with my family and then husbands. It has been a long time since that pleasure.

Larry, you could always ask for the soup on the side.  My parents used to make their own beer and wine and would put small balloons over the tops for a reason. I do not remember why, but we would be sitting, having dinner, hear a pop and someone would say, "There goes another one."

JeanneP

Joy.  Now that is a nice easy way with the Balloons and chocolate. is a good idea to let the chocolate cool down.

I did get a little damage from the storm that we Had on Friday. Just looked up and  noticed. I big tree limb on top of my  Roof covering the Porch. It is metal and big dent in it. Will see if can be made straight tomorrow.  Lots of limbs on the roof of the house. But other than that and a messy yard all is O.K.
JeanneP

angelface555

I ended up going to the potluck and it was a doozy! The company assigns funds to the building hospitality committee and they take it from there. Four grills going, salmon steaks, ribs, chicken or hamburgers and hot dogs. Several types of available condiments and sauces.

All the usual salads, potato, macaroni, green and coleslaw. And different types of chips. Plus several cakes and cupcakes, jello and vanilla, strawberry, chocolate ice cream. No diets allowed there!

There were some drunks, four or five that gathered across the street watching and were probably wishing for an invite, but no go. We had a cloudy day and brisk winds, so of course, the guys were in Tshirts or short sleeves and all the women were in coats. Instead of sitting outside, I joined the group inside at the social room.

We sang happy birthday to one of the guys and a girl mentioned her eighty-first was tomorrow. I then remembered, according to her tags, that Farrah's fifth birthday is tomorrow. I'll have to buy her a new felt mouse or a new supply of paper grocery bags!

Mary Ann

Patricia, Tom's trip this time was more than a Sunday drive, but he does take after his father in one respect; when we are coming home from an appointment or visit, we take the scenic drive home.  When with Norm, we never took the normal or shortest way home.  I don't mind a bit!  We used to take Sunday drives too and we'd sing along as we drove.  This was much before we ever had a radio in the car.  I learned a lot about the area from those rides and I do also from Tom's rides. 

I just finished watching a PGA Golf Tour, the BMW Championship.  These matches are usually very exciting and this one was no exception.  You have to watch to the very end because they are so close.  Dustin Johnson (USA) beat Paul Casey (UK) by three strokes.  I never played golf and knew very little about it, but I've learned a bit about golf just watching these games. 

Patricia, I'm glad you decided to go to the potluck because it sounds like it was a very good one. 

I hate to admit that Kendrick had a third birthday in July and he didn't receive any gifts.  He didn't seem to mind, but it would have been nice to have given him some new treats. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, perhaps you could do a year and a half party? I have never had birthday parties for pets because I never knew their ages. A friend does for her standard poodle each year. She has a barbeque in early June and invites folks over.

We bring squeaky toys or dog treats, but mainly it is just a neighbourhood gathering. Since I know Farrah's age by her tags, perhaps I'll buy her a treat or toy. Maybe start a new trend!

Farrah is lying on her side, by me on the couch, dreaming. First, she jumped and made startled sounds and then growled. Farrah just made a  frightened sound, and her little legs moved as if she was running in slow motion. Whatever she was dreaming, I hope she got away!

larryhanna

Hi everyone on an overcast morning.  The forecast for the next two or three days shows a high of 85 with less than 50% chance of rain.  Yesterday was an enjoyable day with Church attendance and then getting a Firehouse Sub for my lunch.  I had made a large serving of scrambled eggs and bacon crumbles for Pat, which she ate late in the morning so she didn't want me to bring her anything for lunch.  I did make a trip over to Walmart in the late afternoon as Pat needed some prescription refills picked up.  While I was there I got my flu shot so that is done for this year and my arm isn't even sore today. 

This should be a reasonable quiet day.  I will attend my Monday noon meeting and have to make another trip to Walmart as Pat forgot that she had a prescription for pain medication that needed to be refilled.  We are going to have Chicken Noodle soup for our dinner meal tonight and the stock and chicken are ready and just have to put in some noodles and get it good and hot.  So not any significant cooking for me today, which doesn't break my heart.  :)

Mary Ann, glad that Tom is there to help you with the things with which you need help.  You are having chilly nights.  Ours are still in the 70's. 

Patricia, it sounds like you needed some extra sleep when you were not feeling well.  Nice to see you were able to participate and enjoy your Fall Cook Out.  That sounded like quite a meal.  Farrah is certainly a lot of company for you.  It would be interesting to know what is going on in a cat's mind as they play. Good suggestion for the soup bread bowl.  I have always loved bread and would just as soon have good bread as I would cake (although I enjoy that as well).

JeanneP, sorry to read that you did have some damage from the storm.  Glad that big tree limb didn't land on your roof.

Mary Ann, I didn't watch any of the golf yesterday as was involved with the Pro Football games.  Both the Atlanta Falcons and the Carolina Panthers lost their opening week games. 

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone,  from the
warm but cooler and sunny,  rocky coast of Maine. 

All is well here.   

We are having the dreaded (but necessary)
"inspections this week.    I don't have to do an
awful lot,  just make sure that things are tidy
and clean....  which I pretty much do every morning,
anyhow.    My apartment is very "lived in" but fits
the inspection criteria as is.   

September is here and the heat and
humidity is finally waning,  Our Presidential Election,
Thanksgiving and the Seasonal Holidays
(Too numerous to list right now) are right
around the corner...   (ho hum).     

I should  spend some time psyching myself
up for what is ahead,  but at the moment,
I am just not ready. 

Back to taking it "One Day at a Time" ....
Wishing everyone the best!

Sandy
:coolsmiley:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

wjoan

Good mornin all.  Just waiting for the cleaning lady to get here.  Hope all of you are doing well.
Our temps have cooled down and I love having my bedroom window open all the time now.   I sleep better with it open too.
No news  per se so won't take up space here.  HUGS all around,

Mary Ann

Things are about back to normal here.  Tom got home Saturday from his PA trip, then yesterday he was gone until 10 pm to Holland.  I reminded him he had really been gone four days and he agreed, so said we'd go out to supper tonight..  I typed a poem about turning 90 for Dot and she came to pick it up.  She can type it but I think there is no connection between her computer and printer and that's really the reason I tyed it.  Tom is/was at a meeting this morning and probably has stopped for lunch.  He'll have to get back to work one of these days.  i'll have my hair cut tomorrow morning and we probably will "do" breakfast.  I am leaving Friday for Indianapolis for five days and Tom will keep the home fires burning here.  I am set to get things together but I need some laundry done, also some shopping, both of which Tom does for me.  He might have time to do some of his job in between other things.  He'll be glad to be alone while I'm gone!

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning! We are back to fog and rain again this morning. Even though school started around Labor Day, many families were dip netting salmon at Chitna, or out in the woods, hunting for the fall larder. Traditionally, many start school here a week or two later.

I received a letter from my younger sister and my niece who is 5'4" has just become engaged to a real Scandinavian, blonde and 6'5"! My niece has a delicate build and Becky says they make a happy, but odd pairing!

Today, after yesterday will be getting back to some business on the computer and getting my PSP lessons turned into class. I also need to eat very lightly today as yesterday I went a mite overboard on all those fixings.

Farrah is enjoying terrorizing her sack and working off her prey instinct.

angelface555

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/oregon/portland/portland-castle/

A hidden witch's castle in one of Portland, Oregon's city parks. It looks to be an elvan stone, fairytale castle ruin but has everything. Drama, young doomed love, ghosts, and controversy. One of Oregon's first hangings as a new terrority.

Mary Ann

Patricia, that is fascinating about the Witch's Castle.  I have never been to Oregon and probably never will get there, so I'll pass on seeing it.  I would love to go there if I were younger and physically able.  Beautiful setting, too.

Since Tom has been gone for several days, we went out to supper tonight.  We have more choices in our part of town than we realize, so we went to the Twisted Rooster where he had a sizzler and I had a grouper sandwich. 

Mary Ann

deedee

Quote from: Marilyne on September 03, 2016, 12:35:56 AM
I received an email from Kelly, asking me to please copy and post the following message on Norm's B&T, Soda Shoppe and the Games Board.

Dear S&F members

It is over four months since I posted on seniors and friends, because of health issues.  When I am able to return I cannot say, but in time I will post again if on a much reduced basis than I used to.

I now live in the United Kingdom in a community helping with health matters.  Replying to members by emails is not possible at the moment for me because of these health matters and my inability to use voice recognition.

I am unable to access S&F as I have lost my username and password.  If anyone has asked about me, I thank you.

Regards

Kevin

Thank you, Marilyne, for the information on Kevin.

MaryPage

I just feel so bad/sad about him.  When anyone leaves, there is a forever hole in the fabric of the all togetherness we make here.

larryhanna

Hi everyone on a nice 73 degree morning.  Yesterday when we got to the chiropractor's office it was hot so we decided to leave the car windows down an inch or so.  While in the office a hard rain started and we had to wait about 10 minutes after Pat's appointment was finished to get a break in the rain and get into the car, which had wet car seats.  Fortunately we had a microfiber cloth in the car so were able to wipe off the wet seats.  Shortly after we got home the skies opened up and we had a hard rain lasting maybe 20 minutes.  I sure won't need to water my yard on Thursday.  There is only a small chance for further rain today. 

The am just back from a  trip to the Walmart to get a prescription for pain pills filled for Pat and get a few other things we needed.  We have a beef roast thawed out that will go into the crock pot on low and cook throughout the day, which we will have for dinner along with some cooked vegetables for Pat and raw ones for me.  The chicken noddle soup turned out well last evening for our dinner.  I do plan on getting the laundry caught up today.  Otherwise I just plan a restful day.

I had a most unusual experience while in the grocery area of Walmart.  An older man, probably in his 50's, was approaching and I smiled at him and said good morning or something and he stopped and told me his mother had suddenly passed away 3 days ago and that was all he could think about.  I talked with him for several minutes.  His parents had been married for 62 years.  He told me that he had never had a close relationship with his father but that is now appearing.  I assured him that God will see him through this situation as he doesn't require more of us than he will provide the strength to endure.  I hope our little conversation will help him get through this day.  He obviously needed someone to talk with and I am glad I was there to be that person.

Joan, Pat always liked spring and fall weather where we could have the house opened up a bit.  So far that really hasn't been an option here as there have been very few days that would allow it. 

Mary Ann, is Dot turning 90?  Good that Tom will be there to take care of Kendrick while you are away. 

Patricia, the late starting of school there reminds me of why our schools when I was growing up didn't start until after September 1st because the children of age were needed to help with the farming.  Does Farrah tear up the paper sack as she plays with it?

Mary Ann

I had a post all ready to go, hit something and a blank page came up and I never did find my post.  It didn't disappear as it usually does.

MaryPage, in another folder you mentioned the bash that didn't happen.  I e-mailed Dot to see if she remembered it and if she did to write something about it, send it to me and I'd post it for her.  I also told her people would love to hear from her.

Larry, no, Dot is not turning 90 - at least not yet.  She is 86, just six months younger than Norm.  She keeps very busy, much more so than I did at 86, but I was more busy than I am now.

I had my hair cut this morning, then went next door to the restaurant where Tom was waiting and we had breakfast.  I have my hair cut every five weeks and those two ladies who serve in the restaurant remember that Tom likes an Arnold Palmer and I like decaf.  As soon as I sit down, one of them brings my coffee! 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Mary Ann, thanks for the info about Dot not being 90.  I just added a third paragraph to my posting above about an experience I just had at Walmart. 

MaryPage

Mary Ann, it was not to be a real Bash, but what we used to call a Mini-Bash.  A luncheon at a restaurant that Norm picked out (I've forgotten where it was and what it was called) with the Howes and Shirley & her husband and KateMate and whatshisname (Buck?), and a few others all set to meet us there.  The date was all fixed, and we were very close to the day to head out of here, when the lump showed up and surgery had to take precedence.  Cancer.  Melanoma.  We had no choice.  And it was all downhill from there, and we did no more really big traveling.  We went to the Virginia Bash at the Radisson Hotel in Richmond in May of 2004, and Bob got sick and we had to come home the second day.  We spent the first evening, dinner and all, with India & Sparky Brown from Arkansas.  I already knew them from the Williamsport Bash, and much emailing back and forth with India ever afterwards.  Then we simply had to sadly check out and get ourselves up here to home and Bob's doctors asap.  We had really looked forward to experiencing that Bash.

Mary Ann

MaryPage, we'll see if Dot remembers about the incident and if she sends me her memory.  She doesn't get on the computer as often as I do and she's much busier in the outside world.  She is still driving, incidentally.

Larry, I had to look for your additional post.  That was nice of you to talk to the man and I hope he took your information to heart.  The death of his mother may bring him closer to his father.  Strange things do happen.

Mary Ann

wjoan

Mornin all.  Just got  an email from Candy.  As you know she just moved to NV.  There is snow on the top of the mountains this morning..  A bit early

angelface555

Good morning from a still dripping, still foggy Interior! We still have minor flooding, still early morning frost and still trying to diet while Farrah is still killing felt mice daily and hiding the bodies in her paper sack! In other words, nothing new here.

Larry, yes she tears them up as she brings a toy in her mouth, growling, and with a head toss, there they go inside the bag. Then after all five have been placed and hidden, she will pounce on the bag, still growling.

Then she will drag one or two by lying on her side and fishing with her lower paw. Then it's up on her haunches, and a good sideways fling with her mouth and the chase is on again!    ;D   She is very methodical in her killing the felt mice!

She has a new hobby of watching the winter flocks ride the winds, swooping and swirling outside her fourth floor window. In the spring, these large flocks of small birds, pine siskin, chickadees, wrens, redpolls and others, break up into their own groups.

But in the fall, they come together to form these large flocks of multibreed small birds. Farrah doesn't "chitter," clicking her teeth when she sees the birds, as other cats do; but she will sit, watch and angle herself this way and that way as she watches their gymnastics!

Mary Ann

Patricia, Kendrick made me proud of him today.  If he thinks I am going to the front door, he is there before I am.  I was going for the mail and he was at the door and I shooed him away.  I was not so lucky when I returned; he would not leave the door.  I had mail in my hand and hoped I'd be able to block the doorway but he got out anyway, lying on the porch stoop.  I tried to get him in the house and he went to the grass.  I still could not get him toward the house and he got up and darted  west across the fronts of the two next units.  I went on the deck to see if I could see him and I could not.  So I went in the house and to the kitchen and there at the storm door was Kendrick.  I opened the door and he walked in, as if to say, "see you can trust me!".  I told him he was a good boy and gave him a treat.  He wasn't exactly a "good boy" but he did come back in.

Other than that things are as usual here.

Mary Ann