Random Image

elizabethtown, New York

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 08:51:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-05-06, 01:46:51
junee: Bubble

2024-05-06, 01:46:39
junee: b

2024-05-02, 00:44:41
Oldiesmann: Relevant links can be found in topics in the Homemaking, Food & Garden board. I'll see about moving them over to articles here when I get a chance.

2024-05-02, 00:07:54
Oldiesmann: Found them. They're on the CP site: https://www.christianphotographers.com/recipes/recipeindex.html

2024-05-01, 23:57:58
Oldiesmann: I'm not finding anything related to recipes on the site. I'll do some digging through the Internet Archive and see if I can dig them up. It's possible that got lost in the big server crash back in 2016

2024-05-01, 17:21:56
JeanneP: I am trying to get into the Archives of the Recipes that where moved over from Senior net few years ago, Can't find them

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Marilyne, that's too bad about your paralyzed vocal cord - and that's permanent, not temporary.  I find my voice isn't as loud as it once was, but I can be heard.  I don't feel I have as much power in my singing as I did, but I sing alto (harmonize) and can still be heard.

Joan, I try to eat in moderation, but I am not on a diet.  I am too heavy for my height, but no one seems to be concerned.  If I were younger, I might be considered obese, but I probably am about 20 pounds overweight, maybe a few pounds more.  I am less than 5 feet tall and I'll bet I was no more than 5 feet in my prime.  Some foods taste OK but I can't say I have a favorite in regular foods (maybe roast beef, but we don't eat much red meat).  Now desserts are something else and lemon usually is #1 in a favorite taste.

Mary Ann

JeanneP

MaryAnn. Now I take it you are not letting anyone take your picture..Some people would do that. 
Now on mine I was out for the 3hour+ so didn't move.  My ear had been moved up at clipped to my forhead. and then cut from temple down to bottom of my neck. All the nerves were cut and will take a few years he say for them to attach back. My ear was dead but can now feel it again. Not got earings back in yet. Hard to feel where they go.  But it looks great.  I tell the Dr. who did it.  had I know all that was going on would have had the daughter in taking a photo . She takes every thing Else.
JeanneP

wjoan

Mary Ann, I eat diet food cuz of my Diabetes.   Sure not by choice, yucky stuff tasteless food.

wjoan

Oh yeah, meant to say that Dan put up Pi9cs of his stuffed mushrooms and pie we are having tomorrow on Facebooik.  Get a look at it if you are on FB/

Mary Ann

Jeanne, you had more surgery than I did.  I was not "out" at all.  They deadened my cheek and when it was numb, the doctor went to work.  I would rather not have my picture taken, although I remember when Norm and I both had cataract surgery on the same day, one after the other, Dot took our picture together as we both had eye patches on opposite eyes.

I look much worse than then but if we take a family picture Monday, I will be in it.  The picture will not be published although I would show it to others; I'm not that proud.

Joan, in many cases I do eat lo-cal food and I don't eat rich food.  But I wouldn't call what I eat as diet food.  I love salads and fish, neither of which I get at home, but when eating out, I often eat either.  Last week Tom and I went to a nearby golf course where their restaurant is open all year round.  I had a Philly cheese sandwich and brought half of that home.  I brought back some of the fried potatoes, ate some and threw the rest away.  The restaurant has a delicious Napa salad and I bought a side salad to bring home.  I had that for supper last night.  Tom brought me a Mc D's cheeseburger and Sprite for lunch, so I fixed a salad tonight with a slice of cheese, half slice of onion, a slice of lunch meat (not processed), half a Roma tomato, Ranch dressing, and a handful of salad mix that we buy.  We've been gifted with two batches of cookies, so I had a cookie for dessert.  I realize that isn't really "diet" but that is one of my favorite meals.

Annie and Tom are in the dining room wrapping presents now.  Most of my giving was money, already mailed and most cashed, so I don't need to wrap, in fact, I don't like to wrap presents.  I did buy some things for Tom, Annie, James and Alicia and they're going to wrap them for me.

Mary Ann

wjoan

Mary Ann, sounds good.  I do eat salads now and then.  I get the ready made and use some Thousand Island dressing on it.  Good for a change.  I have been craving pizza from across the street.  They do deliver and nothing stopping me from ordering one.  Just biding my time I guess.  SOON tho.  LOL

Mary Ann

Joan, Tom goes to a nearby pizza place and gets a "ready-to-bake" pizza - vegetarian - which we like.  I don't know if the place delivers or not.  I think it is Papa Murphy.  Tom also orders vegetarian when we go to Pizza Hut and he is not a vegetarian but it solves a lot or questions as to what kind of meat to order. 

Just after 10 pm now, time to put the cat to bed!

Mary Ann

shirleyn

deedee

Happy Holidays to everyone and wishing all here a Happy healthy New Year.

A fond remembrance of Norm, wherever he may be!  :)

larryhanna

Merry Christmas to you all.  We are going to have a beautiful day here with a sunny sky and temperatures getting up to 70 degrees this afternoon.  I will attend the 11 am service at Church this morning (there is no Sunday School today).  Scott will be here later this afternoon for our Christmas dinner and small gift exchange.  I did complete my project of getting the Christmas Concert that I recorded converted into an MP4 file format and put together and onto a DVD to give to the lady at Church who requested it. 

MarsGal, sorry that you will not be able to taste the Christmas dinner but at least you will be with family. 

Marilyne, sorry that you have trouble speaking and hearing.  This getting older certainly has it drawbacks.

Mary Ann, like you those desserts are my downfall. 

JeanneP, I have never heard of anyone having their ear moved up and clipped to a forehead before.  That sounds very painful but suppose the cut nerves had some effect on the pain.  Glad it turned out so well for you. 

Joan, maybe you can treat yourself to that pizza on New Year's Day or Eve. 

Shirley and deedee, nice to see you both pop in and thanks for the Christmas greeting.   

Sandy

:balloons: Merry Christmas  and  Happy Hanukkah!   :balloons:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

so_P_bubble

Thank you - and happy celebration to all of you dear friends

Mary Ann

Merry Christmas to everyone.  In a few minutes I'm going to get dressed and Tom and I are going out to breakfast, even with my bandaged face.  Otherwise, Tom would bring something back for me.  Going out, I may pay - just because I can.

I have to tell you about one memorable Christmas Eve - at least for me.  Tom doesn't remember it.  Sue (Tom's former wife) and I went to Christmas Eve service at my church.  It was held at 11 pm then (since changed to 10 pm) and was after our family gathering at Norm and Dot's.  After the service was over, we came home.  I unlocked the door and it would not open; something was by the door and prevented me from opening it.  I kept nudging the door until I could feel around it and there was Annie sleeping in front of the door.  She was not quite one year old.  She had gone to bed in my lower level with her dad and had gotten out of bed (I did not have a crib) and climbed up the stairs and lay in front of the door. 

We got the door open far enough for us to get in and Sue picked up Annie and took her back to bed.  Many memorable things happened involving Annie, but not all at Christmastime.

Talk to you all later.

Mary Ann

wjoan

Larry, what a great idea you have.  I just might indulge myself.  ;)

Mary Ann

Tom and I went to I-Hop for Christmas breakfast this morning.  On the way there, I realized I had forgotten to put on my glasses.  It was no problem seeing I didn't have to read anything other than the menu, but I think it is the first time in my life I've done that.  We reminisced about Christmases Past, both in our childhoods and as adults.  I spent many Christmases with Tom and his family.

It is a dreary day so far.  Radar doesn't show any rain or snow for today but it may rain tomorrow.  Tomorrow is when all the families get together.  We're disappointed that Annie has chosen to work instead of being with us, but it was her decision.

Grand Haven is very calm this morning, nothing like what it was last week.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning everyone from a dark, warm and cozy Interior!

I hope everyone is happy and having a wonderful holiday with family and friends! I am hiding out today and enjoying the peace and quiet. Farrah made me realize yesterday just how far she's grown from that frightened cat she was back on the second of May and from those two months hiding under my bed. Last night I was laying on my side on the couch, reading from my kindle and had vaguely noticed Farrah moving to the floor beside "her" end of the couch by the white afghan.

Then she made a small, low "ermm sound and I looked up and over. She looked at me, then at my sprawled legs in her way and back at me, again with the low ermm. I moved my legs up, out of her way and she leapt, kneaded the afghan once or twice, settled and went to sleep.

Larry and MaryAnn, I loved reading about your times with family and friends! You both are truly blest.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HANUKKAH TO ALL AND MAY 2017 BRING HEALTH, HAPPINESS AND PEACE TO ALL!

angelface555

Mary Ann

Patricia, I try to keep Kendrick away from my afghans because I worked too hard to knit or crochet them.  Kendrick was never declawed and I fear for anything knit near him.  I also have a Bates bedspread that I feel I can't use because of his claws.  Otherwise, he's a good kitty!

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, Farrah is also not declawed but she seems to only use her paws and she gently kneads the afghans rather than clawing them.

What I worry about is her predilection to licking the shower curtain or tape on some of my plastic crates. I'm told that powdered milk is used in many commercial productions such as some wall paints, plastics, and tapes and this can tend to attract some dogs and cats. I keep an eye out and use a quick spray of vinegar and water when I see her licking these items.

Lindancer

Good Christmas Eve. Was a warm day for Dec. up in the 40's good for those that had to travel, but this morning was dangerous as the road were covered with black ice. The radio kept telling people who had to drive before 9.
MaryAnn, so glad to see you got out for a little while. The 15 of Jan. I have to go to skin doctor, made the appointment 2 weeks ago, as I have a sore on my temple that has not healed in over a month. I need to have it looked at.
Patricia, thanks for the tape of Ava Maria, it was beautiful.  Yesterday Taffy followed me around all day   talking, To day she had a catnip mouse and ball in here stocking, plus a little felt mouse like those she has lost all over the house. This new felt mouse she played with right away, and has lost it already. she runs around and throws it about 2ft in the air. The ball and catnip mouse she just looks at. Taffy is saying Murrrrrry Christmas to Farrah. I am so happy you kept her.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Lindancer

It was a lonely Christmas Day, as the whole neighborhood had gone to visit friends and family.  Before they left my neighbor bought me over a meal from my favorite sea food rest. so I have enough left over for to day. I did get a call from the DIL,s in Mass. and Fla. One of my blessings is I talk to my g.son in Fla. who had been in the hospital for 6 months, he was told he would not be able to walk after the spine oper. but now he is home and useing a walker. All the prays were answered. My other gift from God is I am almost 93 and I have the problems of being old, but I still can move around in my own home, and fix for myself Have to admit I cannot make the bed, or vac. The big one I can still go out to lunch with my Red Hats.
  MaryAnn, Taffy also is saying Murrrrrry Christmas to Hendrick.
  Bubble Happy Hanukkah, I know you cannot wait till Don arrives next month. So happy for you
  My other cyber friends I am so happy to have Marilyne, JeanneP, MarsGal,WJoan, Sandy, Jack if you look in. I hope you had a beautiful
Christmas Day with family and friends I hope I did not forget someone

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

angelface555

Gloria, Farrah is also wishing Kendrick and Taffy a Murrrrrry Christmas and sends wishes for a happy, healthy and contented new year!

Taffy sounds like Farrah in many ways. Farrah loses her toys and I'm trying, (A lost cause!); to teach her to put them in her wooden dish after playing. I had a cat, Beau, who would put his away in a bathroom cupboard. Even though I realize his reasons for doing this were selfish in regards to my other cats, I appreciated it.  :thumbup:  I often find toy mice in the most unexpected places, partly due I'm sure, to her tossing them about like Taffy!

I am so very happy for your grandson and in his strength and determination to recover what he has lost. That strength and determination will not only help but build an even stronger character!

I have never had any skin cancers but do have psoriasis and effects from an earlier case of hives that are still irritating. Parts of my skin are still red, mottled and oh yes, itching and burning! UGH. It's an autoimmune illness so you learn to keep immersing in cortisone body/hand cremes and grit your teeth as you plow through the spells.

Mary Ann

I wrote something, looked for something and lost my post.  I know I should not look for anything when I'm in Reply mode. 

Kendrick sends Christmas greetings to Taffy and Farrah.  He spends so much time alone and sleeping that I worry about him at times.  He needs a pal but I'm not about to have another cat, interesting as that would be.

I'm pleased with the way my skin cancer surgery is progressing and I hope the doctor's office feels the same way Wednesday.  It is now three days since the surgery and I have not had any pain at all.  It is hard to bandage the place but I went out to I-Hop this morning anyway.  Tomorrow I'll let the family have a gander at it, although I doubt anyone will be wanting to see what it looks like. 

Gloria, I am so happy for you that your grandson called you.  It is good that he can use a walker to get around. 

Although I saw the program Friday night, I am watching the Boston Pops Christmas program again.  It is the only thing on TV that interests me.

Patricia, I had a case of psoriasis several years ago.  It covered my stomach and I rubbed a salve over it.  I think some spots I have in that area are psoriasis but nothing like the rash I had.  The doctor is the one who said it was psoriasis, not me, because I think it is something that people have all their lives, not just short term.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, it may have been a case of hives, allergy or something like that. You do not usually have such a long period between episodes. There are many types of psoriasis but all are autoimmune and have two factors to get psoriasis. You must have a genetic marker and then an environmental factor. Otherwise, you don't have it. Anyway, that's what the dermatologist told me.

I had a couple of small spots that would come and go on the back of my elbows for a couple of years until suddenly it moved to the outside of my knees and then exploded all over when I had the hives. I was told, limited showers, not baths, use gloves while cleaning and doing dishes, and be religious about using a cortisone body creme all over after showers and all over my arms/hands after cleaning.

I have to tell you about a wonderful gift I received. I have a dry sense of humor which can elude folks and make them believe I am serious. A few weeks ago my friend's ten-year-old grandson asked why I told him something crazy. His grandmother told him about my odd sense of humor and that once my daughter had made me a gift of a ping pong paddle. She had covered it in paper with one side printed JOKING and the other side saying, NOT JOKING.

Anyway, he gave me a ping pong paddle he had made, using blue marker so I would have that again and not confused people! I would have kissed him, but luckily remembered he is a ten-year-old boy!

I wanted to include Winnie in Farrah's Christmas greetings and I asked her about Joan's Furby and mentioned I hadn't heard if he had mastered Jingle Bells. She gave me a look as if to say, "Why me?" and lay back down to finish her nap. MaryAnn, it is said that cats sleep about 70% of their time and you can see that in the big cats too.

Farrah will not eat wet canned food which I'm sorry about as it is recommended over dry food. She also could care less about people food, including tuna, chicken or salmon and doesn't see the point in catnip. She has a habit that I love in that I have adapted that old television saying, "Whut you talking about, Willis?" into using Farrah instead of Willis. Anytime I do this, she answers me back as if carrying on a conversation in different moods, angry, sad or bored. Sometimes I really do wonder about her....

angelface555

An interesting tidbit from my daily triva;

"British redcoats are always displayed in a completely inaccurate way, (In movies and TV).

They've always got posh British accents and nice clean uniforms. In reality, they were often from poorer backgrounds, especially compared to their French counterparts. They were rougher, difficult to handle and had a reputation in Europe for horrible manners.

Uniforms of that time are always portrayed as nicely ironed with nice white shirts, which is quite an achievement when you consider thousands more would die from disease while on the march than actual combat. At the Battle of Waterloo all the British soldiers actually had pink trousers on because the red dye from their coat ran down because of the thunderstorms."

I've evidently hijacked the forum. Everybody must be out celebrating while I'm roaming the Internet.

Mary Ann

Patricia, my psoriasis was like a rash; it went from side to side in front.  The doctor was from Poland, maybe an immigrant, and when he looked at it, he said, "It's psoriasis, it's inherited".  He gave me a prescription for a salve that I used daily and eventually, my stomach was clear.  I haven't had it since, so your guess is as good as mine.  I did not know of anyone in my family who had psoriasis, however, after a few years I learned a second cousin had it bad and permanently. 

I think your friend's grandson has a sense of humor himself, unless someone else had the idea for him to give you the paddle.  I also have a dry sense of humor and I usually can find something funny in most situations, even funerals.  My grandmother wrote that she had a dry sense of humor, taking after her father.  She lived with us for seven years and I don't recall much humor, but she could see the bright side of things. 

Kendrick will eat canned cat food if I remember to give it to him.  We're at the point right now that I can pour the new dry food into a bag that isn't plain paper as he chews on the bag and I end up with dry cat food coming out of the hole.  The other bag may have some nylon in it because he can't get at it.

I know cats sleep a lot but I just wish Kendrick had someone - human or four-legged - to play with.  I don't get down on the floor.  I did tell Annie that he'd like a laser for Christmas so she may bring one over some day.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi everyone on this first day after Christmas.  Yesterday we enjoyed a 73 degree day with sun for most of the day.  Today is to be cloudy but still warm. 

We had a very enjoyable Christmas afternoon and evening with Scott. We had a nice dinner around 3 pm,  rested until around 8 pm and then had a piece of pie and opened our presents.  Santa was very good to me this year with some shirts, a nice gift card at Amazon and my SIL sent me two interesting gifts.  The first was four little boxes that contained "Inkers" that you use to line out personal information on documents.  The second was a device to clean your cell phone surface by putting it in the case and a UV  light kills germs. It is called Phonesoap.

We got to say Merry Christmas to our Granddaughter as she was speaking with her Dad.  She will be coming to live with him this week as on Wednesday evening he flies to upstate New York and they will fly back on Thursday.  We will be happy to see her again as had thought that probably wasn't going to happen again in our lifetime.

Mary Ann, I was happy to see you had decided not to be a recluse while your face heals.  Cute story about Annie, when she was 1 year old. 

Patricia, glad you were able to spend Christmas quietly as you preferred.  Obviously Farrah didn't think you needed the entire couch and you were invading her space.  Thanks for the link to Pavarotti singing the Ave Maria.  It is beautiful.  How cute of the little boy to make you the ping pong paddle.

deAngel, glad it was warmer up your way yesterday.  Glad you are having the place checked on your temple.  Nice of your friend to bring you the meal on Christmas Eve.  What wonderful news regarding your grandson starting to walk again. 

MarsGal

Good morning.

I had a wonderful time at my sister's house for Christmas dinner. I was actually able to taste a few things, faintly. And, the TV didn't go on, even once, much to my delight, so we got to just talk without major distraction. Sue was delighted when George showed her how to set her smart phone on voice command so all she had to do was say "Smile" to take a picture. We ended up staying until around 9:30pm.

The clouds must have rolled back in sometime very early this morning. It is sprinkling now. I haven't any major plans for today except to finish reading a book I have almost, but not quite finished. Oh, and a few household chores need attended to. First thing this morning, I finished watching the last two episodes of the first season of Cranford. We will be reading and discussing the book over on SeniorLearn.org beginning Jan. 11.

larryhanna

Here is the link to a video showing what Phonesoap that I mentioned above does:  https://www.phonesoap.com/phonesoap-videos/

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior!

Nothing new here today but playing on the computer and some items bought in, washed, and put away from the balcony.

Larry, I'm glad you, Pat and Scott had a nice Christmas! I Googled Inkers as I didn't understand your explanation, only to find it was originally the title of a member of a printing shop or the type of ink used. So, I am still curious.

I believe that Kevin was just relieved to hear that he wasn't the only one puzzled by what I told him and his grandmother says he wanted me to have a paddle again, for clarity.   :thumbup:

Farrah has done her morning stretches, eaten, done a thorough wash and back to one more taste of breakfast. And back to sitting and staring at me until I finally got up and dished out a portion of her daily treats. So another usual day.

Santa was a bad man who brought me candy, cookies, sweet loaves of bread, and cake which all went directly into the freezer! Also a couple of cremes, lotions, & goat milk soaps sets and a wonderfully soft, gray robe that looks furry but isn't. Farrah got some new toy mice to bully and a three-part treat set from the cat across the hall. She doesn't feel at all remorseful that now I will have to scramble to think of something that's from her later.  :-\