Random Image

Great Grands

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:55:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

Hi Larry
Regarding low blood sugars (hypos), i have had one when I was driving, but it was when I was about to park the car.

And I passed out when in Nassau on holiday with one. 

I have type 2, but it is low numbers that affect me.

kelly

Kelly, my former neighbor had occasional bouts with very low sugar numbers, including one time when he was driving and his wife had to take control of the car.  He would just lose touch with reality until his sugar level was brought back up.  He used an insulin pump.  My daughter also had a few bouts with low numbers but usually the problem was the high numbers. 

Lindancer

Good evening

MaryPage, basil cell arthitis is when the cartilage in bones of the thumb wear away,  I have it in both thumbs.  I have had shots, but now at 92 I have learn to live with it.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Kelly

larryhanna

Hi everyone on a bright and sunny 52 degree morning here in South Carolina but headed up to 82 degrees this afternoon.  I have for me a busy day ahead.  This morning I need to get to the Post Office and then want to look at new laser printers and will also buy ink for my HP printer.  Then at noon I have a meeting and plan on a quick stop at COSTCO on my way home for a couple of items.  Then this evening is our monthly men's meeting at church.  Pat has her Circle meeting this morning at church.

Yesterday morning we had an unusual experience.  Pat had turned off the TV and gone to the kitchen area when the TV came back on by itself.  She tried to turn it off and couldn't and I had the same results.  Most of the remote control keys also wouldn't work including mute or lowering the volume but could change channels.  We had to leave to get to Sunday School so just left it on.  When I got home I did a Google search on this problem and found that I just needed to unplug it and it would reset itself.  The TV sits on the mantel above the fireplace and the plug in is almost to the top of the TV.  I got the step stole and was able to unplug it and put an extension cord into which I plugged the TV so I won't have to climb up if this happens again.  Now the TV seems to be fine. 

MarsGal, I wouldn't even attempt to do yard work again.  Sometimes just walking around the outside of my house can be almost too much for me.  However, I am looking forward to trying my hand at the container gardening.  We need to get the additional plants and get everything in the ground this week.  Sorry that the arthritis in your back gives you such a time.

Sandy, you had better experience with your printer than I have had the last couple of days.  My problem is what is built into the printer and the ink cartridges.

deedee, it sounds like you have made a wise decision to avoid the gardening this year. 

Jenny, that storm has exceeded the predicted amount of snow.  I hope has now passed your area and the thawing can now begin. 

Mary Ann, when I was doing the work for the Senior Games they got me a laser printer.  Of course, when I gave up that work I also had to pass on the laser printer.  I never had a problem with it. 

MaryPage, I could easily do with just a black and white printer but Pat often prints out things related to quilting and wants the color printing.  I do not print out pictures.

JeanneP, the animal kingdom often seems very cruel but it is nature way.  I hope the baby eaglets survive and the parents have returned.

Kelly, hope your team won the English football game or games you have been watching.  I am assuming you have a favorite team.  Do you keep something with you to eat to get your blood sugar back up when you get that sinking feeling?

deedee

Quote from: larryhanna on April 18, 2016, 08:19:05 AM

--Yesterday morning we had an unusual experience.  Pat had turned off the TV and gone to the kitchen area when the TV came back on by itself.  She tried to turn it off and couldn't and I had the same results. 

--it sounds like you have made a wise decision to avoid the gardening this year. 

--I could easily do with just a black and white printer but Pat often prints out things related to quilting and wants the color printing.  I do not print out pictures.

--the animal kingdom often seems very cruel but it is nature way.  I hope the baby eaglets survive and the parents have returned.

--Do you keep something with you to eat to get your blood sugar back up when you get that sinking feeling?

Larry, I've had the television (fault of the cable box, fault of the so-called 'smart' tv, who knows) turn off on me at odd times. If all else fails, and I've taken to 'chatting' with Samsung or FIOS (I never call, the phone tree dries me bonkers), they usually have me unplug from the wall and wait, then plug it back in. A hard restart, like a computer.

Technology is SO brilliant now, isn't it? Yeah, right.

Yes on the gardening, although I wish I could say I could stop myself completely from doing this and that. However, at least now I know what motions are going to cause agonizing pain.

I tried a Brother laser printer, and wasn't thrilled with the idea of toner. I then switched back to an HP printer, after my first one had lasted 10 years (obviously this one won't) and found that it would shut off all by itself in the interest of saving power. Now, since I couldn't care less about saving power, I 'chatted' with one rep. He said there was no way to override. I then escalated to corporate and in the meantime 'chatted' with another rep. Oh sure, he said, just hit this, this and this on the (now digital) screen and override the shut off. So, the reps aren't even given the same education. Isn't that great?

I've avoided those live animal cams since the one I tried with hummingbird babies. I was furious when the mother abandoned the babies and the aunt was abusing them. The monitor said they couldn't intervene until the very last. Well, they finally did and the babies were saved. I think it's BS that monitors can't intervene, and hope someone helps the baby eagles before they die. Nature is cruel, but humans are more cruel.

I only have moderate low blood sugar, but have to eat every few hours or I, in my words, "zone out".

wjoan

Would you all think good thoughts?  My oldest daughter <Roxanne> fell in the shower Friday and hurt herself.  She went to ER and they said she had a cracked rib and sent her home.  Sat. morning she woke having trouble breathing and could not move.  Called  911 and is back in the Hospital on oxygen.  She cannot talk so just wrote me a hasty email.  Nee all your good thoughts, please.?

MaryPage

Good grief!  I wonder what happened.  Could a rib have punctured a lung?  Is that even possible?  I don't blame you for being upset, but do take SOME comfort in that she has gone back to find out what has taken place.  Hoping for the best here in Annapolis!

angelface555

I wonder if Roxanne had a hematoma? I had a friend with similar symptoms and that's what it was. I am thinking good thoughts for her and for you Joan. Its good that she is feeling well enough to email and that she is under a doctor's care, think positive!

Sandy

Good Afternoon Everyone, 
from the sunny, getting warmer,  rocky
coast of Maine.

Larry
This would be a good opportunity to decorate 
your extension cord with feathers,  or something
to hide it!   (giggle)

With this "cutting of the cable tv cord",  I  am
learning a lot.    My son is going to come over
tomorrow to walk me through it.     I hope to
do all the work myself so I will know what
I am doing.    And he can be  here ICE!

Have a good day,  everyone!
Sandy
:crazy2:

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

wjoan

UPDAE: one rib broken, no way to fix.  No punctures so that is good.  She is still on oxygen and they say they want to keep her for another 2 or 3 days.  She wrote me said she is breathing better and they have given her something for pain.

halkel

WJ, you have my prayers for Roxanne.  Hope she gets well soon.

MaryPage

I know from experience, albeit it has been over 50 years ago, how extremely painful a broken rib is.  Especially when you breathe, which is most of the time.  And no, there is nothing they can do about it, really, except let time heal it.  They did do me a lot of help by making a special (special for each and every person with a broken rib) sort of belt like corset that fit right around my body and kept the pain down from what it was without the corset because it held the rib in place.  In other words, the rib did not breath in and out with me as screamingly painfully, albeit it was bad enough.  I do hope Roxanne will get through this ordeal and be perfectly fine once more.

SCFSue

Western Joan, I had a cracked rib years ago.  It was painful, but there was nothing to do for it.  So I just hurt a lot until it healed and I tried not to complain--but hey sometimes I just had to express myself.  I hope your daughter's rib will heal quickly. 

Sue

Mary Ann

Joan, I hope all goes well for Roxanne.  I am sure she is in great pain.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

J0AN, I join with the other folks here, with prays for Roxanne.  I know there is not much they can do. When my husband broke his, the doctor put tape around, and he was in more pain from that as he was allergic to the tape, and takeing it off, was horrible.

Hi everyone else, we had a beautiful day, went to 80, I had the doors and windows open, plus the overhead fan on.

MaryAnn, I hope Tom is feeling better.
I will be so glad when we have spell check back.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

MaryPage

I wonder why tape was put right on his skin.  They made a sort of corset belt for me that buckled and tied and held that rib in place.  I could take it off to shower, and just throw it away when I was healed, although I remember holding on to it for a while longer before I did that.

Kelly

Hi WesternJoan
Thinking of your Daughter Roxanne, hope the pain from the broken rib will lessen for her soon.

kelly

June Drabek

W.Joan, I too am praying for Roxanne's healing, and hopefully they can give her something for the pain. I was told by a doctor that healing is much slower when one has severe pain. Does Roxanne have someone at home to be with her when she is dismissed. It must have been frightening to have to make the return trip to the hospital.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

MaryPage

The Cooper/Vanderbilt book arrived today, and I dropped everything else and started reading it.  I have to tell you, I am surprised at the sense of light and love that infuses it.  It is a precious book, a lovely book, an extremely well written book, and leaves a sense of a beautiful experience after finishing it.

Mary Ann

MaryPage, did both of them write the book or just one.  And how large is the print.  It sounds like a book I'd like to read but I have trouble with ordinary print now - old age, you know!

Mary Ann

Kelly

MaryPage

Mary Ann, they both wrote it.  It is not told as a narrator telling a story about these people.

Basically, it is the story of the entire life of Gloria Vanderbilt, Poor Little Rich Girl.  And she tells her story.  She is a truly gifted writer.  She thinks like a poet.  So they use one font for her writing.  And then Anderson sticks his two cents worth in, and they put that in a different font.  And the whole story goes back and forth, being told by her, with his memories and/or questions following each of her bits and pieces. Both fonts are ordinary sized.  Perhaps the book is or will be available in large print.  It is a smallish book.  Not terribly small, but smaller than a regular size. 

It is so interesting, as it is like one long conversation going on between the two of them.  I was interested to note that Anderson alone holds the copyright.  Also, it is his words that end the book, beautifully and with great simplicity.  I have already read the last two pages several times, because it takes my breath away each time.  The love between this mother and son is palpable.

Beverly

W. Joan - I hope Roxanne feels better soon. If she lives alone it's good they kept her in the hospital. I never knew how bad rib pain can be till I had lung surgery. They explained that they remove part of a rib (I can still tell where that is 7 years later!) and literally stretch your ribs apart to reach the lung. The surgery is done through your back. The post-surgical pain was unbearable because they found that I couldn't take morphine or any of the opiate drugs. Tylenol doesn't do much! :( If Roxanne has a recliner at home she may find it more comfortable to sleep there. I couldn't lie down in bed for weeks. Good thoughts and prayers going her way!

Larry - We have a situation we could remedy but so far haven't bothered.  :) If we use the remote to turn the fan/light in our bedroom off/on, the fan in our computer room will turn off/on. They are at opposite ends of the house. At first I was spooked.  I also had a strange happening with my TV one night. I had the PBS channel on and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't change channels. We did the same as you.........unplugged the TV.

Hope you all have a good night.

wjoan

Thank you all for your good thoughts, prayers and well wishes.  Rox just called me and is doing better.  Lots of pain and she doesn't dare sneeze or cough.  Two more days and she will be going home.  She has someone that cleans her apt, a friend is feeding her cats, and all will be well soon.  They figure in about 5 weeks she should not have any trouble with the rib at all.  Gads I feel better too.  LOL

Kelly

Good morning everyone

Kelly

MaryPage

Good morning, Kelly.

I have just broken my fast with a bowl of steelcut oatmeal with frozen blueberries and half & half.  My decaf has a little caramel creamer added.  Feeling great!

Greg will pick me up in a little while and take me over the bay to Chestertown.  He will return me late this afternoon.  It is a beautiful day out of doors.

halkel

Ahhh, TV's and remotes.  Some years back, when my Granddaughters were young ladies and mischievous they were staying overnight and I went to bed early and was watching tv in my bedroom.  All of a sudden the channel changed, couldn't figure that out, so I changed it back.  a few minutes latter it changed again.  Well this went on for a few minutes and then I heard the giggling.   My TV's are the same brand and use the same type of remote and you can see our TV down a long hallway from the doorway to our den.  Yep, the girls would go into the hallway and change my TV.  Who said kids don't have smarts.  And know how to wart Grandad.

:2funny:

And a good morning to all. 

WJ happy to see you daughter improving.

Beverly, you made my ribs throb.  I broke a rib when I was a kid and they taped it up.  And I broke out with a rash under the tape.  I would take my ruler and scratch it and Mother finally took me back to doctor, who wasn't happy about me breaking the tape loose, so he removed the tape and what a rash I had.  Anyhow he took Mentholatum and soaked it.  Now that got my attention.  I still swear he was getting even with me for messing with his work.  He just left the tape off and let it finish healing.  After warning me to take care or I could puncture the lung.

larryhanna

Hi everyone on a beautiful morning with the expected temperature to reach 90 this afternoon.  As of now I expect to stay home today although we need to make a quick trip to a nearby nursery and get another tomato plant and some herbs and get them planted.  Yesterday was a very busy day.  We had a very good steak dinner at our men's meeting last night.  I did get new ink that cost almost $100 but the printer is working again. I did order  a new Brother's Laser printer that will be here next week. 

deedee, I am now set where I can easily unplug my TV if I have the restarting or sudden turning off problem again.  Electronic can get messed up and needs a fresh start from time to time.  Just now experienced this with my computer and had to do a hard shutdown and reboot.  The toner cartridges are large and each one is suppose to print about 2,500 pages which will cover my daily printing needs for a long time. 

Joan, so sorry about Roxanne's fall and now hospitalization.  How frightening to have trouble breathing.  The pain of a broken rib is enough.  Hope she won't need to be hospitalized for very long but see it will be another two or three days.  Sure glad there were no punctures.

Beverly, from what I found on an internet search these types of problem, i.e., turning on and off or being unable to change a channel is not too uncommon, which is comforting.  Just unplugging is a reasonable solution if you can get to where the TV is plugged in and fortunately I could. 

MaryPage, sure hope you enjoy your outing. 

Sandy, the extension cord is hidden behind the TV as we have a recessed space in the wall.  However, there is a space below the TV and the mantel and Pat does have some little artificial roses strung along it so you don't see under it where some other equipment is located. 

Hal, I bet your granddaughters got a great kick out of changing your TV channels. 

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the cloudy
but warm,  Rocky Coast of Maine. 

I went over this morning to Time Warner with
my cable box in hand,   and came home with it
still in hand.   

But,  they dropped my cable bill $75.   
That was enough for me to reconsider dropping
it completely.   

My son Paul was with me and he thought
that I had made the right choice.    If
I decide in a couple of months to get drop
it again and save even more,   I will do so. 

The key the man said is to go over to they
yearly are renegotiate ...     

How about that!!!! 
Sandy
:uglystupid2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

wjoan

Thanks Hal & Larry.  She is doing better.   Pain is nothing new to her, just this seems to be pretty bad/  She sounds good so hope all will be well now.  Mom is doing better today also.  LOL