Random Image

steam punk

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cottoncandy

Ok. I'm trying this...will sign off and see if I can sign back on with comments showing

jane

HURRAH!  I sure hope it works.

MaryPage

Yes, it was on the national networks news last week about tourists from the U.S. not welcome in Europe.  And what does it come down to?  Our unvaccinated, is what!  Seems they lie about being vaccinated, and even pay large sums for phony vaccination certificates!  I can't blame Europe!

But Sharon, they have also been reporting that the airlines are not going to charge cancellation fees and so forth, because they know why people are cancelling.  Hope you don't have to.

Lovely day here on the bay.  I'm just sort of taking it easy because I hear it's a holiday.  Y'all Be Well, now!

jane

It's very quiet around this little town today.  I walked earlier before it got too hot, and had a smile when two little boys on bicycles passed me...each with a fishing pole and headed to the river.  It was a Norman Rockwell type scene.

jane

SharonE

That does sound like a NR scene! It was actually cool when I walked at noon, a little breeze. Yes, I'm sure Tauck will be on top of it and let us know if we have to cancel. We have trip insurance and the airfare will be refunded, but, oh I don't want to cancel. Who knows if we will be able to go next year! We are supposed to leave the 24th, so it's getting close.  All Tauck travelers have to be fully vaccinated and provide proof.

As for the dining, they still provide meals as take outs. We call in our orders and they deliver.

Had a nice chat with Brian while ago. Always nice to touch base.

Hope everyone has a good Labor Day. Stay safe. Sharon

Marilyn

My back is screaming at me today. Foolishly I vacuumed and moved the furniture so I could vacuum under it. I haven't been abolt to get a cleaning person yet. My DIL was going to help then she got Covid. She is over it but still sort of weak. She won't be able to help me until after she gets off work at 3:30 at the high school. She is a Para-professional and teaches  the special needs kids. I told her that all our Dr appointments are in the  morning or early afternoon. It would take her 30 minutes to get here from  the High school in Eureka.By that time I am  done for the day. Oh well we will figure something out.

jane

Sharon...glad they're delivering your selected meals.  It may be they don't have enough staff to serve people in a dining room.  Staff shortages seem to be big everywhere.

Marilyn...ouch on your poor back. 

I learned tonight that one of the two men left in our Friday Night Eat Out group passed away at 1:00 this afternoon.  He's the one who was 93 and in the Nursing Home for the last month. 
He and his wife had been married for 70 years!  Fortunately, she's in great health.

jane

MaryPage

Marilyn, a painful back is absolutely the pits, and I'm feeling the ouch with you.  Hope you are able to settle yourself in enough comfort in your favorite seat to bring you some relief.

Jane, my condolences for the loss of the friend in your dining group.  I know you will miss him, as missing people is such a huge part of who we are these days.

A gorgeous day here on the bay.  I so love September.  It is a pleasant month, and the best part is knowing the overheated days of July and August are behind us.

I hope to get out to get my flu shot today.  If not today, tomorrow for sure.  As for the Covid booster, I will definitely have that, but probably not until November.  I had the Moderna.  My only doctors visits this month are with my Rheumatologist for my Prolia shot and my Dermatologist for my body scan.  At 92, I find my skin is not just lying there keeping my innards under wrap, but is trying all kinds and sorts of mean little tricks I had no idea it was capable of.  Well, I can't keep going without it, so I'd better not complain.  It does seem determined to advertise my ancient age with slews of bright blue veins and scores of vivid red splotches, and worse.  Oh well, you can't turn the dial back to young again!

Hope the sunlight splashes bountifully on your day, Sweet Buddies.

maryz

Marilyn, sorry about your back - something I can definitely relate to. And running the vacuum really sets it off. John did that chore at our house, until I got somebody to clean for me. Good luck with finding somebody. Maybe you can find somebody to trade chores with - like you could dog-sit or dog-walk, etc.

jane, sorry about your friend. It's tough, even though not unexpected. As MaryPage said, our groups do get smaller.

Sharon, glad you're getting your meals delivered to you. Our food service director, i.e., head cook, has been trying to hire two other cooks for over a month now. She's been working 12-hour days, 7 days a week, with occasional meals off, done by other non-cook staff members, or delivered pizza, etc. A young man finally started yesterday. I hope he lasts - seems to be a nice guy.  I hope all works out with your trip.

MaryPage, have fun with your doctors appointments. I think the only one I have this month is tomorrow - and that's just for an INR check (finger-stick).

Darlene and alpiner, I hope you get a break from your heat, soon. But I know that's the way it is where y'all live.

We're getting some lovely September weather here, for a while - temps in the low 80s and low humidity (for us). But I'm not outside anyway.  Oh, well.....

Have a great day, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Fall like weather is here today, too, and very welcomed.  I did walk a bit this morning.  I need to go out and mail my taxes and stop by the little local newspaper office to renew my subscription. 

Nothing else planned for today...reading and watching my Monk shows on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries.

I need to check about the flu shots here.  All that they advertise is the Covid clinics. 

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

Marilyn

speaking of Doctor appointments. Keith has one Thursday and on Friday I go back to the Cardiologist to be all plastered with heart monitor  stickums. They will monitor my heart of a whole month.Tomorrow Freckles goes to the groomer. I bathed Millie this morning.I did 4 loads of laundry, two of them were doggie beds and towels.I think Sonja will be helping me with the things I can't do anymore..[/size]

maryz

Marilyn, so glad Sonja is able to help you. You obviously made a good move!

jane, our flu shots are scheduled for 12 October. It's great that they arrange for them to be given here.

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

I think I'll check when I'm in CR tomorrow and see if I can find a drugstore giving the flu shot.  It's great they come to your facility, Mary.

jane

jane

Marilyn...good to have your and K's doc appts set up.  Is he able to see the doctor alone or do you have to go in with him?  Is he able to stay alone while you have your visit with your own doc?

jane

Marilyn

i have to go with him and do all the talking. He can stay alone. Sonja doesn't get off work until 3:30. That is late to be going to dr appointments for me anyway. It is also late to be cleaning house after I have been up since 5L30 or sometimes 4:30 to take the dogs outside.

jane

Marilyn...I agree that that is late to start on cleaning chores or trying to get to a doc appt.  Maybe you could skip those cleaning things that hurt you...like washing kitchen or bathroom floors or vacuuming and Sonja could do those once a week or two for you.

jane

Home from the rheumatology doc and lab.  Lab results weren't ready by the time I saw the doc and a couple won't be for a week or so...so he told me to start to decrease the prednisone...very slowly...down 1 mg a month...unless he calls this afternoon  because inflammation hasn't decreased enough.  "Come back in 3 months"...so I stopped in TJ Max that isn't one of my usual stops, but my niece seems to find things there...I didn't, so came on home and stopped at Dairy Queen, where I did find something that fit me...a mini Blizzard with the Reese's extreme...lots of peanut butter and chocolate.  Yep, that fit just fine!! :idiot2:

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

MaryPage

Wish I could have been with you and had one of those of my own, Jane!

jane

8,404 new Covid cases here in Iowa this last week. 

MaryPage...It was YUMMY!  Wish you could have joined me.

jane

patricia19

Jane, and they're getting younger...US and COVID set another record.

More than 252,000 children were diagnosed with COVID-19 last week nationwide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGubjepX9OY

jane

Yes, and our Gov. won't mandate face masks for the schools.
 I'm beyond frustrated with her and the people who won't help keep everyone safe. 

jane

SharonE

Yes, it is the children I worry about. The ones 12 and up can get vaccinations if their parents aren't too dumb to let them, but the ones under 12 aren't permitted to get them yet. I hope they do soon. All my great grands are in school or preschool and are under the age of 12.The #'s for children with serious cases of Covid have been going up everywhere. And some schools aren't allowed to mandate masks and parents protest if they do! I just can't understand that kind of mindset.

Yes, it's lack of staff that is causing our dining room shut down. We're down to 1 chef from 3 and only 3 or 4 servers are showing up! Hard to go back to Styrofoam containers and lukewarm food.I guess I'm going to start putting it on a plate and reheating

We had thunder and a brief storm early this AM, then sun, but it's been in the low 80's I think.  I had on a jacket when I took Bunny for a walk.

Marilyn, I feel for you with the back problems and all. Glad Sonja is going to help out some.

I get Bunny groomed Sat. at 1:30, have a dermatology appt on Mon, and then they are going to have a flu shot clinic here Tues afternoon next week. So nice to have that here.

Jane, I hope your Dr finds out something from your tests that will allow him to help you.

Hi to everyone. Enjoy the cooler weather. Sharon

jane

I asked Dr. Singh about getting the flu shot before I'm scheduled for the 3rd shot/booster.  He agreed, but when I called local drug store, I was told they haven't heard yet when it will be delivered to them.  Cathy, one of the pharmacist, said they get an email 3 days before it arrives, but have heard nothing yet.  So, I'll call again next week.  I was too tired to start looking for a pharmacy with it in CR. 

I just noticed how the leaves are turning here already.  I much prefer the cooler temperatures.

jane

jane

Good Morning, Buddies!  It's a wonderfully cool morning here, and I've had my mile walk.  I walked during our "rush half-hour"...lots of traffic coming from the north to town and south between 7:30 am and 8:00.  I guess they're headed for the several factories, or on to Cedar Rapids or Iowa City for jobs there.  I'm so glad not to be in that rat race anymore.   ;D

Nothing exciting going on here today...

Stay safe and healthy.  There's way too much Covid floating around here.

jane

maryz

Sharon, I guess everybody is having trouble keeping enough staff. Sometimes, for our supper (the lighter meal), office-type staff does the 'cooking' and serving - usually soup and sandwiches served in the dining room, but on styrofoam plates, etc.  When our meals were being served in our rooms due to the quarantine, I frequently transferred my meal to a real plate and reheated it in my microwave. I hate the foam plates and plastic utensils, and I don't mind washing them up.

jane, glad your temperature is becoming more fall-like. It's such a nice time of year. I with you on the governors and their non-action on COVID prevention.

Hugs to all the Buddies!

patricia19

Massive numbers of new COVID–19 infections, not vaccines, are the main driver of new coronavirus variants

Vaughn Cooper, University of Pittsburgh; Lee Harrison, University of Pittsburgh

When the coronavirus copies itself, there is a chance its RNA will mutate. But new variants must jump from one host to another, and the more infections there are, the better chance this will happen.

In recent weeks, the idea that vaccinations are leading to more dangerous strains of the coronavirus has gotten some attention. And to be fair, one could imagine that a virus will try to evolve in a way that avoids a vaccine meant to stop it.

But this interpretation is incorrect. As Vaughn Cooper and Lee Harrison, an evolutionary biologist and an infectious disease epidemiologist at the University of Pittsburgh, explain: "Most viruses in an infected person are genetically identical to the strain that started the infection. It is much more likely that one of these copies – not a rare mutation – gets passed on to someone else."

The more infections there are, though, the more chances a person will pass a random mutation to someone else. So it is the huge number of new infections that is leading to new variants, not vaccines. In fact, the authors explain that vaccines are the best tool available to prevent dangerous new strains of the coronavirus from emerging in the first place.

MaryPage

Patricia has that absolutely right, but I will add to or enhance it.

Viruses are present all over this universe.  They are not alive in the way we of the animal kingdom are, or the fungi, or the entire lists of botanical species.

The only way they can reproduce is through copies, much like Xerox machines.  There is a video in NOVA called The Purple Petunia that shows, in cartoon form you cannot forget, how this works.

All viruses dive through our noses or mouths into one of our cells.  Our cells make copies, not knowing they are viruses and we need for them NOT to be copied.  Occasionally, the RNA making the copies goofs up and does not make a perfect copy.  That imperfect copy takes on different qualities from the original, because it is different.  Not all viruses are dangerous to humans, but the ones that are are heartbreakers.

Google NOVA and see if they will still show you the documentary titled THE PURPLE PETUNIA.  The information it contains will blow your mind.

patricia19

My building is in the 18th month of total lockdown, other than residents, no inside visitors, other than CNAs and masks are mandatory even if the majority of us have been vaccinated. My city isn't far behind.

Having said that, "Hospitalizations for COVID-19 are at an all-time high in Alaska.

Nearly a dozen more people were admitted to the state's overwhelmed hospitals Tuesday, where 1 in 5 patients are sick with the virus. As of Wednesday afternoon, nearly 200 people were in the hospital in Alaska with COVID-19.

"Our hospitals are stressed," said Gene Wiseman with the state's COVID-19 response team. "There's no argument about that, right? But we're trying to level the playing field as best we can."

To do that, the state's health department began daily capacity check-ins with all of the state's hospitals this Tuesday. Hospitals report on their capacity and can send patients to the places in the state with open beds. The health department also requested nearly 500 healthcare workers from the federal government.

According to the state's data, almost all of Southcentral and Interior intensive care units are full or near capacity. Doctors in the state have repeatedly warned that the system is at its limit. Hospitalizations have roughly doubled since state hospital officials sounded the alarm about a month ago.

The state also reported more than 840 new cases of COVID-19 for Tuesday — among the highest single-day counts since the pandemic began. The state reported that another five Alaskans with the virus have died, and also a nonresident died from the virus in the state.

Just over 60% of Alaskans 12 and older have had their first dose of the vaccine, which is below the national average.

MaryPage

Tonight's news tells us that Senator Amy  Klobuchar has joined us as a breast cancer survivor.

alpiner1

I had a scare this afternoon .   I sneezed twice & couldn't breathe afterwards .  I was sitting at the computer & got up quickly & shuffled to the kitchen & did a self inflicted heimlich manuever against the kitchen counter .  It worked !  I choke easily & have had to do this before .