Random Image

Spring by Monet

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cottoncandy

Good morning..Oct is here and we are getting lower humidity...ready for a cool front...Mary I'm always glad to have a fam member to go with me to Dr Appointments also...I will have to try the salads...it's hard to cook for one...I go Wed for the Big Squeeze...send a prayer up for me...Marlyin glad you are able to get out and have some ME time...My grandson left this morning..moving to New York..New York...hated to see him go so far...Hope Sharon and hubby are having an awesome time....Hi to all reading...have a great week

jane

Mary...what a wonderful treat for you!

Darlene...nicer here, too...cool and the leaves are changing. 

I even walked a mile this morning.  First time in too many days. 

Stay safe and healthy, Buddies!

jane

jane

Nothing new to report.  I walked some this morning, but think I'll go out and get another one in, since it's cool.

Niece Patricia texted this morning.  She and husband had spent the weekend with friends and she thought she'd caught cold.  She said she felt really lousy today, called in sick to work, and is going for a covid test.  She was to come down this weekend, so we'll see. 

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

MaryPage

This is a very misty, change-in-the-weather sort of day.  I cannot see the Bay Bridge or the Eastern Shore.  Bay waters are quite busy, but the traffic out there is not.  Nary a boat or ship in sight at present.  The sky seems to be one big boring sheet of milky white wasteland.  The water is just barely darker than the sky. 

It is such a relief to hear the news that the overall Covid cases in the nation are going down in number, albeit some specific places still show a problem.  Down in numbers is precisely what we need to hear, as we are all so weary of this Pandemic.

Y'all keep well.

jane

Good Morning, Dear Buddies.

As MaryPage said of Annapolis, it's a fall day here too...overcast again and wonderfully cool...low 60s when I did a partial walk this morning.  Lots of truck traffic on our state highway here, and big heavy trucks pulling large rocks to somewhere.  They have those "don't follow this truck into the work area" signs on them, so don't know where they're taking them---and they didn't stop to tell me.   :2funny:  :2funny:

Nothing exciting planned for today. 

Take care and stay safe,

jane

patricia19

Yesterday, Jane, we had snow. Today we have rain, so basically, we have frozen slush. I'd stay in, but there's one more item on my needs list for today.

jane

Ahhh, Patricia...winter is coming.  It's gotten dark earlier here, too, and I know that's very true where you are.  Our news has covered the increased Covid cases there in your rural areas.  Same is true here.

Stay safe,

jane

SharonE

Hi Gals, We're home! Actually got home about 7 PM Mon. Spent all day yesterday doing laundry. My feet are all swollen, so I'm trying to keep them up. I lost my lasix in packing to leave and the pharmacy still hasn't delivered a new bottle.

Our trip was wonderful. We had some rain in Paris, but none otherwise until the morning we left. I took my walker and it was a wonderful help. I was able to do most things, but it it was too steep or too long, I remained behind in the lower town and occupied myself or sat on my walker.In Paris, we didn't go to the Louvre this time because we had been before and yes, Mary Page, we had seen the Mona Lisa then. Instead we went to the Musee d'Orsay which contains all the impressionists and post- impressionists which are my loves. Later, we had a romantic dinner for tWO on the Bateau Mouche (boats on the Seine) while cruising down the river. We also had a class in making maccarons at the Cordon Bleu and saw the Arc de Triomphe draped by Cristo. A travesty in my opinion. Then we took the TGV train to Lyon and boarded the cruise ship.  More later. Pictures are on FB.

Sorry to hear so many have congestive heart failure. I've had it since
'97 but keep it stable with Coreg. Good luck Mary Page with the surgery.
Marilyn, glad you're having lots of family & friends time. Sorry about the mashed toes. I've got one of those too.

Darlene, glad you've had family time too.  And Mary, what fun with little Henry.

I need to get busy. I'll be back tomorrow.  Sharon

Marilyn

Good Morning Buddies. Today I am going to the Sapa with my friend Jeannie. (Sonja's mom) I invited her to go with me. We are getting the spa treatment pedicure 45 minutes of heavenly foot care. Ive had it before so  I wanted her to enjoy it as well.

Keith is doing the same and his confusion is gradually getting to be  more than before. I hate to use the word worse, he still can't find his way arounf the house and it is an open floor plan.

The handyman (my next door neighbor) is going to install the new metal ramp in the front today. We (he and I) ordered it from Home depot).  Next will be the stair at the back door. He already has the stairs just needs help to get them from his back yard to my carport.

WELCOME HONE SHARON.

jane

Welcome back, Sharon!  It sounds like a wonderful trip.

Marilyn...how great you've found a female friend to enjoy going to the spa, etc. with.

jane

MaryPage

Oh, Sharon!  I am thrilled to the core that your trip was such a great success.

It has looked like rain all day today, but not a drop has come down in this neighborhood as yet.

I am off to my hairdresser shortly.  She works out of her house, and there is no one there other than she.  Pre Covid, I would occasionally meet another client; one who was sitting there with a head full of those metal coloring papers, or some such.  That's when she would squeeze me in when she had nothing to do but wait, anyway.  I only get haircuts.  Since Covid, I don't see her other clients.

MaryPage

My hair is cut, and I look tidy once more.  We had the attendant gloom, but no rain in our spot on this great estuary.  Today is gold and blue and green again: the colors in their proper places.

It was with such a sense of unreality I entered a medical appointment on my January calendar.  January 2022.  Amazing to me to have come this far and experienced this much.  Do you get that feeling as well?

maryz

Just keep making those appointment, MaryPage!

Sharon, glad y'all had such a good time. I hope you "recover" quickly.

Sounds like you "northern" people are seriously getting into fall. We've got 80s predicted again for next week. Lots of rain, thunder, and lightning last night, but it's supposed to be nice through the weekend.

I had another INR stick this morning - still within normal limits. And I see the cardiologist for an annual appointment. I have no idea what to expect from this.  We shall see.

Happy Thursday, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Afternoon, Buddies!  This morning I had my yearly body check by the dermatologist.  We talked about Covid and his response was "You can't fix stupid."  He, too, is appalled by the number of medical people who are not getting vaccinated.  I mentioned the surgeon here, and he replied he was surprised the hospital kept him on staff.  When I got home, my cleaning gal, who is friends with the Nursing Chief, said she'd heard he's basically resigned from the hospital.  So, I expect it was resign or be let go.  He'll move on somewhere else, I suppose. 

I had loaded several small boxes with dishes and glasses I no longer want or need.  They've been sitting in my basement waiting for me to get organized, but I'd loaded them up last night and took them to the GoodWill 15 miles from home and so those are gone.  There's more from our "Texas Box" ...a tote box we kept for when we'd go to Tx for the winter.  I hope to get motivated this fall to go through it and make some smaller boxes of things I can donate somewhere. 

The cloudy, overcast day has now turned to light rain. 

The PR put out by the County Health Dept says they had 58 new cases in the last 7 days.  That seems like a lot to me. 

Niece's COVID test was negative and she's back at work, so coming down tomorrow for a weekend with me.  I'm looking forward to seeing her.

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

Cottoncandy

Hi everyone....it's been nice the past few days with low humidity..enjoy the walks more..Sharon so glad to hear yall are home safe and had a good time....I heard back on my mammogram today...everything OK for another year...not much New going on in my little corner...Jane enjoy your time with your niece..I love it when my family comes or I can go be with them.....stay safe and well.....

MaryPage

Happily sound asleep in a nest of pillows in my sweet, sweet bed, the telephone shattered my dreams before seven this morning.  My automaton of a body leapt up and circled the bed to discover what the purpose might be.

Thank heavens I did.  It was the doctor who will be in charge of my case at the Washington Hospital Center.  I am to call one of his assistants first thing Monday morning to set a date for my evaluation, which will take a stay in that hospital of a day & a half.  Then a decision will be made as to whether or not they find me a candidate for a new heart valve.  If the answer is positive, a date will be set for that procedure.  If not, it will mean palliative care and perhaps as much as a couple more years of this life.  I want to make my century and have a huge, every member of my family is committed to come Party.  Well, whatever the outcome, there it is.

I will now proceed to indulge in my favorite breakfast:  Trader Joe's frozen oatmeal with Dole's frozen blueberries covered in lots of half & half and served with a steaming mug of hot chocolate topped with whipped cream.  I shall, of course, with the assistance of my trusty singing microwave, ascertain nothing stays frozen.  Happy Day, Everyone!

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Page..
...that  was an early call from your GP doctor in charge of you, good that he phoned you personally and spoke with you....your GP - hospital is on the ball...

I have blueberries every morning with my cereal whether it be cold muesli - granola or hot porridge...
" There is no present like the time "

maryz

An amazing wakeup from your doctor, MaryPage!  I hope all goes well with your appointment, and you can have the valve replacement. Most can be done intravenously now - although I survived the 2-valve replacement surgically. It does entail an interesting scar "from guggle to zatch" (you remember that one), but at my age, I certainly don't show it off. As an inspiration, the gal who lives next door to me is 101! Two other neighbors are 98 and 96 - amazing ladies, all!

All okay from my cardiologist visit yesterday. He does want to recheck the rate on my pacemaker and possibly slow it down a little bit. That'll happen in 2 weeks, and then see him again in 3 months. We do keep those doctors busy, don't we.

jane, glad you getting to visit with your niece. Have fun!

Darlene, glad your mammogram was OK. I'm overdue for mine, but maybe that'll get set up after my family doc checkup in 3 weeks.

Sharon, glad you're getting rested up.  Is John back to his bridge games?

Marilyn, have you gotten all your new doctors set up? Such a chore! Is this the weekend Keith's son is coming to visit?

Hope your team wins this weekend - whichever one it is.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

Hey, Jackie!  Now we're The Blueberry Gang!

I was in the bedroom preparing my bed for airing just now when I heard a tiny little "whoomp" to the front door.  I turned to see a jaunty little cap headed through the kitchen to the fridge.  I scurried to the dining room in time to see The Debster emerge in all her tininess, with a mask covering what I was sure was a huge smile.

She & Steve were also up at the crack, and were headed for St. Anne's playing fields, where Ava's team has an early Soccer game scheduled.  They would not miss one of those for all the tea in China.  I went out on the kitchen balcony and waved them off regally; or as regally as possible while clad in my pea green pajamas.  With no mask on, they could perceive my mighty smile whilst they backed hastily off and away.

In my freezer are two brand new pint cartons of "Change is Brewing!"  One each for Chip & me.  She found them at the Edgewater Safeway yesterday. Change is Brewing is the name of a new ice cream flavor Ben & Jerry's is market testing.  Chip brought home a pint early in the week, the two of us fell head over heels for it, we alerted the family, who became totally enamored, as well, and the race was on to find more.  Chip went foraging every single day, and could not come up with  any.  Debi found some in her Safeway, and was delivering one pint for each of us.  We are all practiced Hunter Gatherers these days!

Well, this day has started off with all good things.  And now, back to airing the bed linens!  Woo hoo!

so_P_bubble

Mary Page, I want to be cyber-present for that huge party (I feel like family, you know?) so you better keep up with only good news  :thumbup:

MaryPage

Oh, Bubble!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  And Of Course you are family!

And thanks to you, as well and all, Mary.  You are kin because you have been here to visit me with your daughter Margaret and your granddaughter and her husband, who live here in Annapolis, as well.  Amazing what Medical Science can do these days in order to keep us old crones going!  You are a great example for me to tag my hopes on.  Thanks for the info as to how it goes with you.  The neighbors sound like examples for you!  One of my mother's sisters lived to age 101!  Me, I know every day when I take my bazillion pills that I am here totally courtesy of Science.  And to think that so many of us deny that Truth!  Mystifies me!

patricia19

MaryPage, add my wishes to Bubbles, I too feel that sense of family!

MaryPage

Oh, absolutely, Patricia!  Sandy in Portland and I adopted each other years ago, and she calls me Mom.  You & Bubble are young enough to be my daughters, too!  I sure have been reading A Lot in the newspapers about Alaska's weather difficulties and other stuff.  What in the world is going to happen to keep the native peoples from starving to death?  And what will happen if all of the permafrost thaws out?  Will there be sinkholes?  Will all of the buildings and homes except those constructed since they've known about Climate Change sink every which way but up?  Will Alaska have to build everything from scratch all over again?  Is there a Master Plan?  We have been developing a Master Plan to save Annapolis from the flooding that is already a reality here.  I think all of the alarm bells that have been sounding over at the Naval Academy have been punching the brains of the civilian portions of our magical city too,  for some years now.  I sense there will be cooperation here, but find myself wondering if there will be money enough to save it all.  We have the bay, which is the largest estuary in the U.S., and rivers by the dozens and creeks and streams and hundreds of skinny peninsulas stretching out into these waters on which people have built and built and built.  You cannot see to appreciate all of the original beauty, what with all of the human construction. Nowadays they take a lot of photographs from small planes going back and forth and forth and back across our area.  It is fascinating to view all of our locality from that perspective, but it also makes me shudder to realize how we have made of what Nature wrought a humongous construct that does not fit in with the natural plan for the environment.  When I was little, I used to look at ant hills and wonder what all the ants were up to as they came and went and came and went all so busily, yet all seeming to know EXACTLY where they were going and what they were doing.  Now I wonder if much bigger alien eyes are studying us through their use of what would be the equivalent of our drones, and if they get the same urge to smush us into the ground with the heels of their shoes as I used to get with those anthills.  I get the same sensation making me feel ill when I see newsreels of stadiums full of people, shoulder to shoulder and rank to rank for ballgames or concerts or graduations or what have you. So many ants!

SharonE

Hi Girls, I'm back again. Still tired, and still taking Lasix, but otherwise fine. I need to get my gifts organized and ready to mail to the great grands and the kids.  Do you know I couldn't find anything for the little boys as souvenirs, but Lori suggested I look on Amazon. I thought she was nuts, but sure enough I found some little Eiffel towers for them which was exactly what I was looking for! I'm not going to let them know I got them from Amazon though!  I found a darling teeshirt for Ceci that says (in French) "I am the Sun of the life of the family!" which I thought was very appropriate. She is 3 mos old now.

After we left Paris and boarded the cruise ship in Lyon, we saw about 8 or 10 small towns, did lots of wine tastings, went to a truffle farm and watch 2 Labs find a few truffles and then when in the farm house where we were treated to some sliced truffles on French bread, along with wine. We also went to the Camargue region in the very southern part of France to a ranch where they raised the unique white Camargue horses, the bulls for the French bull fights (they don't kill the bulls in France). We got to meet the family that owns the ranch, have a wonderful luncheon there serenaded by the Fr. cowboys (gardiens) and then we went out on a hay wagon to see the horses and the bulls in the pastures and also see their red rice fields. One of my favorite days. We also took a little train around Avignon to see all the medieval bldgs and the Palace of the Popes, from the time of the Great Schism in the middle ages when there were French popes. We had a special dinner in the courtyard of a Chateau belonging to the Duc d'Uzes. I posted some pictures of the interior on FB. We also went through many locks on the river which was interesting. We had a 7 course gala dinner on ship a couple nights before we left.  There was something to keep us busy all the time if we liked.  I paced myself by necessity. John did some things on his own when I sat out. 

They  had us tested for Covid on Sat. on board and got the negative results the next AM, so had no problems going through the various airlines and getting home.

Bunny was rather down when we brought her home, but she has forgiven us now and is back to normal.

We've had cold, rainy days the past 2 days. I don't mind the cooler weather but don't like the dreary days.

Mary Page, we have one lady in our center who is 111, but I haven't met her. I don't think she ever leaves her room. However, we have a lot of people in the 90's and early 100's. We're some of the younger ones. You'll have to have your l00th on Zoom so we can all attend!

Mary, glad all your reports are good.

Jane, have fun with Patricia this weekend.
Thank you, Marilyn, Darlene, and everyone else for the welcome home.

Patricia, the idea of frozen slush horrifies me. I'm way past enjoying snow and ice.

Hi to everyone else I've not mentioned. Have a nice weekend. Sharon

jane

It was a wonderful weekend with Patricia.  She went with us to our Friday night group, then back here for "afters" aka light dessert.  I'd found some decorated sugar cookies and some gluten free choc chip.  That with wine supplied the "sugar rush"  :uglystupid2:  :2funny:

Saturday she and I went to C R and we easily found the apple orchard and she was able to get a 40# box of "seconds" for their family apple weekend of making cider.  We also did some shopping and she found several things she wanted, so all good. 

This morning, she washed 4 windows for me in my fam room.  She'd brought some laundry as her washer and dryer both are not working.  They're from Sweden and getting parts is a problem, so they are going to have to remodel their laundry room to get other units in.  There's a $150.00 charge to just come out and diagnose the problem with the machines.

We also have me set for winter.  We dumped my hanging baskets, 3 pots of geraniums, have the hoses disconnected from the house and the outdoor water turned off. 

Rain is coming, but it's wonderfully cool.

Stay healthy and safe,

Jane

Marilyn

We had a wonderful visit with Kyle and Chloe, his girlfriend.They arrived about 7ish Wednesday evening and came directly here. Spent the evening with us before going to th motel that is just a few yards from the mobile park. There is a Mexican restaurant between us and the motel.

We had lunch at the Mexican restaurant on Friday and they stayed here visiting until about 10 PM. We laughed and joked,I haven't laughed so much in year. even Keith.We  had pizza for supper and a little  wine. I've not laughed so mch in years. We had a great time. They left for Vancouver yesterday early.

Well my car going into the shop early tomorrow morning and I don't know how long I will be without a car, they said it could be 4 ro 5 days.

maryz

Glad Marilyn and Jane had such great visits and food with family. Always special times! Love and laughter is SO good for us!

Margaret and I went out to dinner tonight t0 a local "sushi Thai" restaurant. I had some edamame, a spring roll, and a tuna/avocado sushi roll. Much yum!!!

MaryPage

Oh, Mary; I LOVE that expression: "Much yum!"  It tickles me, and I intend to use it.  Thank you!

Well, this morning this particular ride into my future began.  My phone rang at ten till nine, and the Evaluation is set for Wednesday the 20th and Thursday the 21st.  I will overnight at the hospital, and no, one of the kids will not be allowed to stay over with me.  Bummer; but I rather expected that, in this time of Covid.  I am allowed one of them up until six P.M., so Chip will be able to hang all day.  The expectation is that I will be finished and can go home noonish on the 21st; but the exact time is not guaranteed.  I really do feel as though I have just climbed aboard the roller coaster and the slow ride to the top will soon begin.  I am cautioned to expect a bunch of instructions via email.  So here goes, and please hope with me and mine that I pass this Evaluation.  Thanks, and have a lovely day.  We have a very dark grey one here.  Oh, and this is the birthday of my 2nd & 3rd husbands: David & Bob II.  It is a comfort to me to know they would be pulling for me.

jane

A gloomy, rainy day here, too.  My laundry is all done, except for putting it away, and I plan to simply sit with my heating pad, read all day, and watch it rain.

Stay safe and healthy,

Jane

patricia19

MaryPage I will keep good thoughts and wishes for you and  for the evaluation.