Random Image

June Drabek

Owner: so_P_bubble
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jane

Thanks, DigLady, for information from someone who was there.  What advances they have made.  When Raymond had cataract surgery around 2007, he had 3 or so different drops to put in.  You needed a chart.  Kathy who had the surgery yesterday afternoon went with me to a craft show here in town today...and she has just one drop to use for a couple times a day for a week or more. 

It was nice to go to the craft show.  I bought a little pair of button earrings.  It was the most normal thing I've gone to in months and months. 

It's beautiful here this weekend.  Tomorrow I'm going to go up to a shop in a tiny town north of me where a potter makes some interesting things.  I want to buy a mug or two for Kathy and Gary for Christmas with some "special" coffees I hope to find. 

Take care and stay safe!

jane

Cottoncandy

Good morning...we are having nice weather right now...42 at night and in 70 day....reading comments about cataract surgrey...I had it done ...no problems..can see much better..one of my sons had it done and had complications.....Jane..I enjoy going to craft shows..it's just nice to get out of the house...I had to get antibiotics for my sinus infection...some people use Nettie pot...wish I could find something that would help prevent this virus...Marlyin glad you can get out more and not worry about K....Sharon I love t get manicure and pedi...so relaxing...prayers for those having surgrey....procedures done this coming week...have. A wonderful LORDS day

jane

Darlene...also a beautiful day here.  I'm going to drive up to a pottery shop north of me and see what I can find.

This morning I did a facetime with Patricia and the St. Paul family.  Beautiful there too and little Lochlan was out riding his little trike on their cul-de-sac under the watchful eye of Grandma.  There were a lot of chalk drawings on the street...neighbors kids had drawn lots of ships and then "Grandpa Donal" added a moose and a hop-scotch game, and Mama added flowers and Dad drew fish so it was quite a street mural. 

Nothing else new here.

jane

SharonE

Hi Gals, I think one of my posts was lost. Oh well, nothing important anyway.  We've had winter the past 3 days. Actually got down to freezing overnight and one day in the 40's, the next in the 50's and today in the 60's, but that is really cold for us in Nov. Supposed to be in the 70's next week which will be much better. I have hurt a lot this week.

Today is Brian's 53rd birthday and he's my baby! Where did the years go?!We just talked to him on the phone. Wish we could have celebrate with him.

Jane, hope you found something nice at the pottery place. Other than the checks for the great grands' college funds, we won't be giving gifts per se. We will donate to charity in their names. No one really needs anything and we're to far apart to know what if they do.

I did laundry and played bridge yesterday, folded clothes and fixed my meds for the week, but that's about all. I didn't go with John and Bunny on their long walkie as I had planned because I just hurt too much.

Mary, I hope your back is still doing well.

Hi to Mary Page, Alpiner, and Darlene and Marilyn. Stay warm and stay safe.  Sharon

jane

Sharon...I sure understand about the hurting when the weather is changing.  People who don't have that simply don't understand it.  One of those "hidden" problems.  I am in the same boat with you.  Weather here to go back to our normal...low 40s daytime and 20s nighttime.  Right now in the 50s.

I got out to the PO to mail in a request for reimbursement from my pharmacy drug plan.

Then on to both groceries to get a couple groceries to see me through the week when it turns cold and maybe rain and snow.  I also walked, but like Sharon, it hurt too much to go far and I turned around and came home. 

Only other thing I need to do today is switch from washer to dryer and then fold and put away.

They're having a problem in Cedar Rapids with people stealing catalytic converters off cars again.
 So, if you have to have your car outside at night, I hope you have at least a motion light that will come on if anyone come near or you can back your car in, etc. 

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

Marilyn

Good morning Buddies. the only thing on my schedule for today is to take Keith for a pedicure. He will be geting the same kind I get and at the same place.  It is more than the regular pedicure.

I will be singing at my new church starting the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

About TG, we will be doing it here at my house. The house is small but I have the biggest table after I put the leave in.  Some will bring some folding chairs so there is enough seating.  There will be members of Sonja's family as well as Gilbert and  Forest and Savannah with their partner So far we have 11 if they all show up.

MaryPage

Oh, that sounds such fun, Marilyn!

Chip & I are staying home that day.  I will be just two weeks into my recuperation, if indeed I'm home at all at that point, which I definitely hope to be.  I look back on so very many Thanksgiving meals with family and friends.  Always such a jolly day.  One year I had so many come to our house that I had to feed them on two floors of the house!  Lots of small tables in addition to the big one.  Tons of food.  I think that was 1977.  I loved every minute of it.  No energy at all for that kind of work now, but the delight I took in everyone coming energized me hugely back then!

The experience of General Powell makes me afraid of being anywhere with anyone.  Like him, I have had my three shots of Moderna vaccine.  But also like him, I have immunity reducing illnesses.  The worry negates the joy of seeing everyone.  We'll have plenty to be thankful for and more than enough to eat.

MaryPage

Great grandchild number twenty-eight has arrived here in Annapolis.  We are filled with love & hope.  A dear little girl.  More later.

patricia19

Good morning; it is 6:55 and six degrees locally this morning, with another 0.2 inches of snow. My 23 and me Health and Ancestry DNA kit is due to arrive today. It will be interesting to hear back on the results after I send them in. A couple of years back, I already sent in an Ancestry.com kit only to learn what my family had said for years was true.  I'm Irish and Welsh with some Scot, Swede, and Norwegian thrown in.

Now to see if it's true that the commonality of strokes and cancer is true. I had colon cancer in 2000, and my sisters and dad had it as well before and after me. My mom had breast cancer, but both parents died of other causes, and my two sisters and I survived our cancers.

jane

Marilyn...good for getting K's feet taken care of.  And wonderful plans for TG!  It's been a great move for you both from OR.  A nice, clean, new home that's toxic free and activities you can enjoy and your family nearby.  All WINS!

MaryPage...ah...another little one added to your family.  Like you, I'm being extra safe. I'm wearing a mask...I didn't survive Cancer and am dealing with inflammatory arthritis that screws up my immune system  to be felled by covid by idiots who won't get vaccinated!

Patricia...Another Welshwoman!  My paternal grandparents were also Welsh...grandma came to this country at age 6 and grandpa's family had come earlier.  Coal miners all in my family.

Today's the last "nice" day the weatherguessers say before the "cold weather front" descends with a drop in temps of 40° !  That's a lot for this old body...and rain and snow.  I'm going to make a run for a couple of items I need and get some more birdseed for the hungry little birds.

I brought my UGGs down this morning so I'm ready for the weekend!  :2funny:

I see college basketball season is starting up, so I'll have something to watch. 

Stay safe and healthy, Everybuddie!

jane

patricia19

Jane, every known generation before mine, going back to the sixteen hundreds, were farmers. No riches and lots of hard work in my family line!

alpiner1

My grandpa told me he was 1/4 Welsh   There is some scot & English thrown in there too .  I have some  quite famous relatives too 

Marilyn

i am off to the chiropractor this  morning before I go pick up the meals for the week. The caregiver will be here about the time I leave. I was in great pain with my back .I got out of bed  with leg cramps that woke me up at 4:15 so I took the dogs out but I had some difficulty walking until I got it all stretched out.

jane

Marilyn...I hope the chiropractor can give you relief.

Weather changing fast here...strong winds, and rain moving in with falling temps.  Nothing happening here. I'm in front of my gas fireplace and have no plans other than reading and eating.  ::)

Jane

Cottoncandy

Jane...sounds like MY kind of day :)

SharonE

We have a lovely day in the mid 70's but the rain and cold front to come in tomorrow. Boo Hiss. I managed a decent walk today with Bunny, but still was hurting. She's still confused by the time change and wants to be fed an hour early. ::) My cleaning girl hasn't come yet today. I hope she shows up later.

I played bridge yesterday and won, so that was good.

Jane, John is hyped about Basketball season starting soon too. We added the Big Ten channel to our cable. I need to get our gas fireplace going for this year. That sounds so nice. What are you reading? I just finished a Jodi Piccolt book based on a young man with Aspergers Syndrome who was accused of murder.  It was an interesting insight into the problems and a good story as well. Who is your favorite author?

I still haven't gotten to the city library to get one of John Baxter's books. I'm still finding the stray books at our library here to hold me over.

Mary Page, wasn't your procedure supposed to have been done yesterday? Or do I have the date wrong. Congratulations on the new great grand baby. You really have a huge family.

Marilyn, how wonderful that you're going to have a family TG at your house. I miss those days. When we lived in Indiana, we had a very large house and were able to put all 3 kids and their families up. And a large dining room as well. I loved having them all there and cooking for them all. Couldn't do it now though. Plus our family has grown too much to be put up in one house. We hope to rent an AB&B in Indy or 2 for our family gathering next June.

Patricia, I just have one word to say to you, BRRRRR!!!!

Darlene, I'm glad your weather has moderated. Sounds about perfect for now.

Jane, according to Next Door Neighbors here, there have been a lot of car thefts and catalytic converter thefts near here. Of course, we are in a gated facility, so difficult for that to happen here. Although, we have had some car break-ins. Our car is in a double carport which would be accessible.

Mary, is all okay with you? You're too quiet.

No welsh that I know of in my family, but Scots, English, French, German, & Irish. My father's family came to the US in the 1600's; my mother's in the 1800s

Marilyn, have you tried taking magnesium 250 for your legs at night. It really helps mine.

My cleaning girl just arrived, Yea!  Nothing else going on here.
Keep safe everyone.  Sharon

maryz

Marilyn, glad you've gotten some Thanksgiving plans. Hope the chiropractor has helped you. Back pain (or any pain, for that matter) is no fun!

Margaret has started calling our holiday "Friendsgiving". We've had our Thanksgiving dinner on the Saturday after Thanksgiving for years. The getting together was more important to us than a specific date, so we left Thursday for our girls to spend with their in-law-families.

MaryPage was due to have her procedure this morning. I hope we hear from her soon.

Patricia, as much as we loved our trips to Alaska, I wouldn't want to be there in the winter. Gues I'm too much a southern gal at heart.

It's been really quiet around here. Nothing at all on my calendar for this week. I have found a cable channel that shows the original Law & Order series. They were all so good, and with so many actors in small parts who have gone on to bigger ones and/or have managed to keep showing up now, 10-20 years later.

We're being scheduled to get our Covid booster shots next week - will be glad to get that out of the way.

jane and Sharon et al, sorry that the changeable fall weather does such wicked things to you. Doing it here, too - 70ish today, and high around 50 on Saturday. Yuck!

Happy Wednesday, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

patricia19

It's minus three presently, but it's a dry rather than a wet or humid cold, such is the Arctic.

MaryPage said it would be a while before anyone would hear from her, so I guess we wait and hope.

jane

Cold, windy, wet Thursday greetings!

My week is uneventful, too, Maryz ... and I like it that way. :crazy2:

Stay safe!

Jane

patricia19

Good morning from a chilly Interior, 5:35 AM and minus 14 degrees.

alpiner1

Good Morning from sunny hot southern California !!  It is 84F at 10;20 a.m.   It is suppose to be getting windy later .  I go to a crochet class on Wednesdays  & this week's class was cancelled because the instructor had a stomach problem .  Hope it isn't COVID ! 

jane

Brrrr, Patricia!  We're to get our first bit of snow tonight and tomorrow. 

Alpiner...I hope it's not covid, too.

We're hearing covid will increase here as people stay indoors and attend enclosed activities...basketball, etc. 

Stay safe!

jane

SharonE

I hope we hear from Mary Page soon.

We had a brief warmup here for a couple days and now it's starting down again. It rained last night and the cold front from the West is headed this way.

Nothing going on here. Mary, glad to hear from you. Your TG makes sense. We always had an early Christmas celebration so the grandkids could have Santa at home and the families could develop their own traditions.

Patricia, do you just hibernate in the below zero temps? I sure would.
Where in AK do you live? I've forgotten.

Hi to all I haven't mentioned. Stay safe. Sharon

maryz

Sharon, we did the same as you at Christmas. We had our celebrations as early as the 18th, and as late as the 29th. We felt the kids and grandkids needed to develop their own traditions in their own homes. It worked for us.

A lovely cool day today, but high supposed to be only in the 40s tomorrow. Brrr!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

patricia19

Today is plus nineteen, which means we'll have some possible snow today. Jane, I sent you a PM.

Since we have a dry, think Arizona, climate rather than a wet, think of the south, environment, our temperatures are not the same. Our 20 below is similar to a wet climate's +40 with rain. People wear hoodies instead of full gear unless they're new.

MaryPage probably won't be reporting in for some time, possibly a month? She stated she wouldn't be taking any electronics in with her and didn't want to attempt to teach Chip how to access this site.

Sharon, no one hibernates unless you want to or don't work. I remember walking to and from work in minus 68 temperatures, dressed appropriately because I wanted to get paid—nothing, including schools closed. I haven't seen anything beyond minus thirty for perhaps a day in years due to climate change.

maryz

Patricia, it all depends on what you get used to. You'd undoubtedly be miserable in our hot humid summers, even with a/c. I remember when I was growing up in Houston, how bitterly cold it felt in a damp, northerly wind, with temps about 40.  ;)

patricia19

I spent the seventies in Texas, Kentucky, and Tennessee, and I had never been so cold in my life. Think of it this way, in a wet climate, and you have the snow melt on you. In a dry environment, you brush it off.

I'm from Fairbanks, which is in the Interior right on the Arctic circle. Alaska has four separate geographical and thermoclimatic zones. The Southeast is in the rainforest climate, which includes  Washington and Oregon. For example, Ketchikan, Alaska, has the country's record for the most rainfall.

Here, it can get up to 104 degrees in some summers, altho 80 is more common. The SE is about 15 degrees cooler in the summer. We don't have humidity which does, as you said, makes a big difference in tempertures.

maryz

I just emailed MaryPage this evening, on the chance that she or a family member would see it. And promptly got back this response.

I just got home today, and am weak as a new baby and as much in need of rest, but exhilarated to be at home, as I belong to that school that includes many doctors: the school of you can get better at home than in any hospital.

The family have all been wonderful.  The "procedure" went both badly and well.  Turns out they were unable after all to use the right side vein they had explored in advance, but they were able to use the left side one.  More later, as I am exhausted.  Just tell everyone, please,  I am gratefully alive and appreciate the thoughts.

Patricia, you've definitely been in the places I've lived (except AK, of course), and understand what it's like.  :thumbup:

jane

Mary...thanks for letting us know MP is home and recovering!

Patricia...stay safe!  I sent you a reply, I think.🤔

Sharon...wet here and low 30s.  A "clipper" is coming tomorrow, bringing 40 mph winds and snow likely. 

We went to a local place last night.  I learned two people I know both have Covid breakthrough.  There were 50 new cases here last week!  Some are kids, too, of course.

I cleaned my bird feeders this morning...the rain, etc makes a mess of the openings.  Apparently, the birdies were watching me.  I came in, too off my parka and crocs and looked out the window and the birds were all over the feeders. 🤓😇

And that's my work for today.😂

Jane

SharonE

So glad to hear MP is home and though weak is doing well. That's what I came in to check on. Nothing going on here. Hi everyone. Sharon