Random Image

vinca

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:06:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

The last snow and ice photos, I promise, barring a significant calamity. We're not used to this much snow and ice, along with a pandemic and a holiday season! It's usually busier on a Monday, but everyone is asked to stay home and off the roads. The foothills and ridges are impassable.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=210437

MaryPage

Chip & I had what was for me a Perfect Little Christmas.  Mary, I know how much you want to be a part of family doings, but you may have reached the same place I have, and have to decide NOT to go on the road.  It just flat out knocks me off the trolley!  Sit in your Easy Chair and take calls.  You are the most important person in your family, so let them make a fuss over you while you stay quietly in place.

Speaking of calls, I had a lovely one today.  From Melissa.  Melissa is one of my 13 granddaughters.  She is the 3rd daughter for my daughter Anne & son-in-law Greg.  She & I are both very distraught over hearing of the death of E.O. Wilson, whose books we admired extravagantly.  She called to commiserate and to tell me all about their Christmas and wish me a Happy New Year.  Melissa is Annabelle's and Willem and Mile's mother.  How she does all she does is beyond me.  But Oh, how I love hearing from each & any of them.  Every one is my favorite!

And Melissa is our Science Teacher over there in Easton on Maryland's Eastern Shore.  How do we pronounce that?  EASE-TON SHOW.

But seriously, each is my favorite when I have just seen or spoken with one.  For the long haul, this is still mostly true, though I do seem to favor great granddaughters Leah and Emma.  Emma is granddaughter Angela's only child.  Granddaughter Angela lives in Oklahoma City, OK and is an Actuary.  Emma is a nine year-old scamp. Leah is the middle one of granddaughter Joanna's three, and she is a bubbly delight.  Today is red-headed Joanna's 51st birthday.  Joanna is a nurse.

SharonE

Wow Patricia. Makes me happy to be in Charlotte and our 70 degree weather!  Although the temps will dip next week.

Darlene, Praying Johnny's test results are good. Keep us posted. Glad you had a nice family Christmas and same on New Year's. Our older daughter is planning to drive up from FL mid January.

I may fly down to Tallahassee in March or early April to see my sil who turns 91 in Feb and her kids. I'm afraid if too much time goes by, it might be too late.

I played bridge this afternoon and had lousy cards, but nice to be with the gals.

Tomorrow I go for my annual heart check up and then in the afternoon have an appt to see if my gal can style my hair well enough I can dispense with my wig. I think she will be able to, although not quite like I had it before.

I hope Jane is having a safe drive home and that Mary is recovering and soon out of the hospital.

MP, the holidays are wonderful for staying in touch with scattered family. They all are so important.

Stay safe out there.
Sharon

Marilyn

Hello Buddies: We had a wonderful family Christmas, although my heart went into Afib that lasted for a bout 4-5 hours of trying to get it to slow down. 

I am going to make some homemade bread to  smother with some of the Tuscan garlic butter that Sonja  and Gilbert made for Jeannie ad I.

I have done laundry for two days. Does anyone know how to get the m ilduew smell out of a cedar chest.  I a washing everything washable and have thrwon out a few things that I know  none of the family would want anyway.

I hope Mary is getting better, maybe she will contct Jane again. to let us know.

jane

I haven't heard from Mary, but hope she's recovering.  Things are slowing down here and everyone has gone home.  A neighbor of my sister's invited us for lunch at noon, @nd we didn't get back here until 7:00!  She's Polish and had a feast for us.

The next few days will be quiet, though I'm taking my sis and bil out for dinner tomorrow night.  My sister has cooked nonstop for 4-5 days.

Lots of cold and snow and ice in Iowa, so I will start home on Monday.

Stay safe.  Lots of reports about Covid and people being terribly sick with the flu.

Jane

maryz

Just a quickie. I'm home now. They;ve been most concerned about heart issues. I'll write more tomorrow. Thanks for all good wishes.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

patricia19

So glad to hear you're home, Mary. I hope things will start to go better for you.

jane

HURRAH....Mary is home from the hospital.  So glad you'll begin the New Year in your own comfy place. 

NOTHING exciting here in Ohio.  Stay safe and healthy,

jane

SharonE

Hurrah, Mary is home. I was so worried about you. Take care now and follow doctor's orders! :)

Jane, that must have been some lunch! Have a safe drive back.

Marilyn, I'm glad you had a wonderful family Christmas. Try googling for the mildew cure. It seems like I have read of one, but can't remember. Have you figured out a way to keep Keith from wandering?

Got my hair done yesterday. It is still pretty short, but I am giving up the wig anyway. Five months of it is enough.

There's a NY's eve party tomorrow evening from 6:30-9:30 at the main bldg.  Can you tell we're old folks when it ends at 9:30?! :2funny: I guess we will go. 

My heart dr. hardly examined me yesterday and said I was fine. I think it is good he is retiring today. It was just an annual check anyway and I had no problems, so didn't care.

Today is going to be a slug day for me. The weather is changing. We had storms last night and the temps are going down, so predictably, I am hurting today (and last night).

HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO ALL THE BUDDIES!

Sharon

jane

Good New Year's Eve, Everyone! 

Sharon...glad you can stop with the wig, though I didn't know you were wearing one.  They have such lovely ones these days. 

My neighbor to the north texted me that she hoped I wasn't on the way back.  Big snow storm predicted for Saturday right through the area I'd be driving in to get home.  It's wonderful to have such caring neighbors.  Forecast is for sunny Sunday, Monday and Tuesday...though quite cold...9 below zero one night, etc.  I prefer that to the 29-32 range when ice can form so quickly on the roads.

Quiet day here in Ohio.  Football games this afternoon.

Stay healthy.  Watch our for not only Covid, but the flu.  It's a real nasty bugger.

jane

MaryPage

I went to Cardiac Rehab yesterday, and now  am home for three whole days!  Wonderful!  Unlike some, I dislike having to git up and go these days!  Remember that old song, There's No Place Like Home?  Did anyone besides ancient me sing tunes in Elementary classrooms From The Golden Book of Favorite Songs?

patricia19

I'm wishing everyone a safe and happy new year.

We finally stopped that long storm altho weather gurus are saying it was three, each following the other. In any case, we ended up with 23 inches of snow, enough wind, sleet, and rain to make it slippy, bringing trees and power lines down to cause outages.

So, it's been a rougher holiday season than we're used to. We rarely have six inches of winter snow accumulation, no humidity, and no rain. Some coastal arctic towns and villages reported temperatures in the sixties, warmer than their past summers.

Cottoncandy

Hi Buddies...just checking in to wish everyone reading ..a Happy Healthy New Year....I will probably be in bed long before midnight...it's still 80 Degrees here...But cold front on its way...freeze Sat and Sunday.....Be safe...CC

Tomereader1

MaryPage

Marilyn, it absolutely terrifies me to think of you having an a fib attack for that long.  You must have been terrified, too.  What did you do with yourself while you were having it?  Have you spoken with your doctor since?

Marilyn

I have not talked to my Dr since that attack. I just prayed and waited in out with deep breathing. Yes I was terrified, I kept thinking I can't go to the hospital because who would take care of Keith while I was gone.  what if I died and Keith wouldn't even know it. or know what to do. 1those tgoughts terrify me more than anything..

MaryPage

Oh, My Dear!  Hugs to you.  I have A Fib, too; so I feel your shivers.  I send you wishes for no more attacks and a hope for a solution to what to do about someone to be with Keith when required.

maryz

Happy New Year to all!

I'm still improving, albeit slowly. INR value is good, but my ankles are starting to swell again. We'll see what Home Health tells me today.

Big news around here is not only the drop in temps from near 80* to below freezing in 24+ hours, and about 3" of snow overnight. Woke up to "winter wonderland" out my window. I'm told roads not too bad, except in places. Crazy!

Hugs to all!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

Good tidings of Great Joy, Mary.  I always feel daily improvement is the right direction to travel in.

I am not going out today.  No trip to the bank.  No appointment kept with Cardiac Rehab.  We have a perfectly gorgeous SNOW DAY here!

Cottoncandy

Good morning all....almost noon....our weather is warming up again...Marlyin that was scary I'm sure...hope you are feeling better..MaryZ glad you also are improving...Jane are you home yet? Sharon glad you had good Dr appt...My son Johnny has leukemia...think they caught it early..he has appt tomorrow at MD Anderson cancer center in Houston...I'm told people from all over go there for treatment...so asking continued prayers for him and his wife who is right by his side....have a great day...

maryz

Darlene, sorry about your son's diagnosis. He's certainly in the best place - being treated at MDAnderson. It's a great facility. I know you'll keep us posted.

Tomereader1

jane

Darlene...so good Johnny can get treatment at MD Anderson...one of the best in the world.  People do go there from all over the world.

Marilyn...I think you have family now who would check on you if you fell ill.

Hi to MaryPage, Maryz, Sharon, Patricia, Tomereader, and others looking in.

I got home yesterday..sneaking in during a two day good window.  This morning it's 10 and 25 mph winds causing ground blizzards with snow on the ground.  I'm in and intend to stay here! 

Stay safe,

Jane

SharonE

Marilyn, how scary! Surely if you put Gilbert as your emergency contact, he will be notified if anything happens and see that Keith is taken care of.

Darlene, I'm sorry to hear Johnny's diagnosis is leukemia but I agree with others that M.D.Anderson is supposed to be the best place to go for cancer treatment. He will continue to be in my prayers.

Jane, so glad you got home safely in a good weather window. Now stay in and stay warm.

Mary, glad things are improving with you. No snow here but bet yours is pretty. Very cold here too.

No news here. Sharon

Cottoncandy

Hi Buddies...very good news about my Son Johnny..after md Anderson did their test on him ...the diagnosis is Chronic lymphocytic lymphoma...will not need treatment now...is not having any symptoms...will be checked every 3 months...Thanks to God for answered prayers...they told him to try and avoid sick people...But don't we all.....so relived..just had to share..have a great eve....

MaryPage

Life sure is not easy, Darlene; and the worst of all horrors for us is to be told of a crisis for our children.  I have been aching for you, and then read your latest news and felt more peaceful.  They bring about such medical miracles these days.  hugs to you. 

maryz

Wonderful news, Darlene!

jane, glad you're snuggled safely at home!

Major weather for us coming. Super cold today, temp dropping all day long, and not even getting above freezing tomorrow. Plus multi inches of snow starting this morning. Oh, goody! Unlike Alaska, we're just not prepared for this type of weather, and people do tend to go nuts. I admit, I can look out my window and enjoy looking at it - and not have to be out in it.

Stay warm, Buddies!

patricia19

Good morning everyone! We broke not only the record for the most rain in a month, December! And not only for the most snow in a month but also the most snowfall in a year! "​"Storms across the Interior affected many homes and businesses with wet, heavy snowfall and rain that fell over the course of a few days.

In the month of December, historic snowfalls fell across the Interior, bringing 49.7 inches of snow to Fairbanks according to the National Weather Service." The governor declared the state a disaster area and has called in the National Guard for assistance. Everyone is asked to stay home and off the road unless it's essential traffic.

jane

Darlene....HURRAH for MD Anderson and your son's health report.  He's on the patient list now at a great place  and they'll keep a close eye on him and he'll have the best help medicine can provide.  What a relief for you and your family!!!

Good CHILLY morning to everyone!  It's struggling to get above zero right now.  Nope, I'm NOT going out...except maybe to grab my mail later from the front porch.
 Lots of schools closed yesterday for the high winds and cold temps blowing snow and causing ground blizzards. 

Nothing exciting here, except trying to stay warm.

My toaster started to smoke...more so than just a burned corner of a slice of bread, so that hit the garbage and I've got one coming from Amazon. 

I'm not even putting out my garbage...nothing to put out in the big bin but one bag, and it's too cold to even go out and pull that to the curb.  It'll wait until next week. 

It looks like an afternoon of the fire going and a kindle in my hands with a blanket and a cup of tea.

Lazy jane

jane

Friday hellos!  It's still below zero and I've decided I'll wait until tomorrow to venture out.  It's to get 30 degrees warmer, "they" say! 

Stay warm and safe!

Jane