February 26, 2020, 04:27:31 am


We're glad you found us and now we hope all of our members will do the same--find us!  Please pass the word around by email, Facebook, etc.
Re-register and then go to INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Random Image

Three wheel cycle

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

February 26, 2020, 04:27:31 am

Login with username, password and session length


Feb 18 2020 5:15am
so_P_bubble: Thanks Astro!

Feb 17 2020 11:32am
brian: ampersands--------------   ok i see  now

Feb 17 2020 11:32am
brian: ampersands--------------   ok i see  now

Feb 17 2020 11:31am
brian: WHAT DONT like 

Feb 17 2020 11:00am
Astro: It doesn't like ampersands

Feb 17 2020 11:00am
Astro: The King and I

Feb 17 2020 10:59am
Astro: The King

Feb 17 2020 10:59am
Astro: Excellent photos, Bubble.  Sort of reminds me of "the King

Feb 15 2020 12:19pm
Astro: Can't hitch a bob any more... lol

Feb 15 2020 12:18pm
Astro: Now it's snowing. Thinking of waxing up the Flexible Flyer.

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic


Yes I have returned home, What a day yesterday. Our flight from SF to home because plane was delayed 4 hours, 3 of those late coming in from Fresno, and one  0ne on the tarmac getting a repair, we were in the plane for that hour. To top that off, Saturday I came down with a cold and yesterday I was absolutely miserable, couldn't get home fast enough.

As soon as the cab dropped us off I stuck every thing in  the bedroom and  went to pick up Freckles. She was so  happy to see me. My friend who took care of her had to have her own 16 yr old miniature Border Collie put down one day last week. So Sad.  We should have been home by 1:15 but didn't land until 5 pm.

I went to bed at 7 pm. I had not been asleep since  around 3 am Saturday I was dead tired and miserable with my head all stuffed up I couldn't even hear very well. I feel a little better today. but I  have a Dr. appt today 3 to check the lump on one on the lymph glands.


Afternoon, Buddies! 

My sister and husband left for home early this morning.  It was a great visit.  She cooked every evening meal, and Bill did a number of things for us..fixed a lamp and a chair and did the bug spray of the foundation, etc.  All things I just don't seem to have time or expertise to do.

I started this earlier today and then the Nurse came and I got sidetracked.

Hope you're all feeling good and behaving yourselves.  :smitten:



Good morning, Buddies.  Jane, what a wonderful visit from your sister and her husband.  I'm sure you enjoyed it immensely.  I see my sisters so very seldom and wish we were closer--and that I could drive myself to visit them!  We do talk on the phone but not as often as I'd like.

Welcome home,  Marilyn.  I'm sorry your trip was difficult and that you are dealing with a miserable cold.  How did Keith manage the trip?  I know you were happy to see Freckles!  I hope you'll be able to rest and recover from the cold quickly. 

Jane, I'm up, but not at 'em yet!  I did get the kitchen cleaned up and need to put some laundry in the washing machine.  When I get dressed, I'll do that and take my usual walk while the laundry is washing. I'm so glad your sister and Brother-in-law were able to visit and that Bill was able to get quite a few chores done for you.  I hope Ray slept well last night and is feeling better this morning.

Yesterday morning, Tim came by to help me with some paper work.  Then we went to Niffer's to meet Kris for lunch.  They had a great time in Alaska--saw lots of whales and other creatures and enjoyed hiking in the snowy area. 

Not much else to report this morning.  I'm going to put on my shorts/t-shirt and put a load of laundry in--and will walk around the long block while it's washing.  I hope Every Buddy is doing well and has a nice day.



Guess I haven't checked in for a while.  Sorry about that.

Marilyn, glad you're home, and I hope your cold goes away quickly.  It sounded like you had a great time being with your son, and seeing all the lovely scenery.

jane, sorry about the loss of your friend.  I know how tough that can be.  Great for your sister and BIL to come and help out.  Hope you have an easy week. 

Sue, sounds like Tim and Kris had a great time in Alaska.  It is gorgeous. 

Sharon, that's good that John can combine a trip to see his sister and a bridge tournament.  I finally got back to duplicate last night.  No MP, but we got about 50%, so not too bad - even if I had terrible cards (only opened twice, and rarely was able to even answer my partner).

Darlene, I hope you're getting some not-too-hot weather.  I know how changeable things can be in Texas.

There was 4.5" of rain my my gauge over the last 4-5 rainy days.  But we're back to sunshine now.
 I saw my pulmonologist yesterday.  Then this morning, I've been out for a haircut and a short trip to Aldi (they have such good blueberries and cherries).  Nothing doing tomorrow, and then an echocardiogram on Thursday. 

Happy Tuesday to all the Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


I was so busy yesterday that I didn't get back in. The urology appt was routine, then I stopped at the computer store to see if he could do anything about my touchpad which is supposed to be turned off. He couldn't. I think a new computer without a touchpad is in order. Then I stopped at the gift store and picked up a #1 pair of cheaters for John which he needed. They are hard to find, but I found mine there.  Then I went across the street to buy a tick collar for Bunny. John found one on her last Friday. She goes up in our wooded garden frequently, so bit the bullet and bought the collar. Expensive!

When I got home, I started working again on the Shutterfly booklet I'm making for John's sister. I had spent about 3 or 4 hours on Sunday and kept having problems. I worked about 6 hours yesterday, but finally got it done and ordered.  There's not much we can do for her except John's visit and this. She lives alone in an apt and visits her husband in the nursing home for lunch everyday, but doesn't have any friends or social activity there. The church had only 6 parishioners when she went, and because she sleeps late, she hasn't been back. The pastor visits her once a month to give her communion though. So that's good.

Yesterday was our 58th anniversary which we really haven't celebrated yet because of my cold. I think I am over it now, so we plan to go out this weekend. We had pizza last night, an unusual event for us, but by the time I finished with Shutterfly, I wasn't cooking.

Jane, I'm so glad your sister and BIL were so good to help you and cook, etc. during their visit. I hope Ray is doing better.

Marilyn, let us hear about the lymph node and I hope your cold doesn't hang on as long as mine did.  Colds aren't serious, but they sure can make you feel awful.

Mary, it sounds like you got a lot done!  Our rain has stopped and we have beautiful sun, but flooding in area we haven't had before, thought none close to us. I don't think we got as much rain as you did.  Great on the bridge.  BTW would you want me to email a copy of Defensive Plays that John made up both for himself and his partners.  He says that Defense is the 2nd most important part of the game.  If you want it, email me: sharonede17@gmail.com


I am going to be having an Ultrasound on the Lymph nodes behind my ears, although only one is enlarged I amalso due for my yearly Mammogram, the hospital will be contacting me for the Ultrasound and the Women's Imaging center for the Mammogram.

The Kauai trip was really nice although pretty hot weather wise. Gilbert had a friend who use to live there so he  contacted hom to ask about free activities for us to  do. The tourist activities are all over $100, per person.  So did did our self tours, no boat rides or helicopter tours, No Luau. Still Had a great time and ate good food. Keith did prefer not to do the walking that we did so he either sat in the car or stayed at the condo.


Good morning, Buddies.  I've had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, but am still sitting here in P.Js.  I will shower after I finish with my computer stuff shortly.  I am going to bridge today at Ruth's out in the west side of town.  Libba is picking me up as she is subbing for Terri who has gone to her home out west--I forget exactly where that is.  It's still pretty early, so I think I'll walk around the long block before my shower.

Marilyn,  I'm glad you had a good time in Hawaii.  I've only been there for several hours while I was waiting for a trip out to the Philippines (spelling?) where Bob's ship was in for repairs.  I went out with his C.O.'s wife--who I had only just met--and we had a great 2 weeks there until the ship finished the repairs and went to Hong Kong to give the sailors a week of liberty.

I want to get my morning walk in so that I can shower and dress for bridge, so will wish everyone a good day.  Jane, special thoughts for a good day for Ray.  I hope he's feeling well this morning.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.


Today is Melanie's surgery, so please keep her in your thoughts and pray that the mass is benign. We talked to her last night and she seemed in good spirits, in spite of having cleansed her bowel with laxatives all day, just in case it is involved.  I won't hear anything till late this afternoon.

Mary, I sent you the Defense sheet. I also have one that lists all the conventions that I copied from Bridge Baron.  If you want a good software to practice on, it is a good one. You can set what you want to practice.

Marilyn, I'm glad you had a good time in Kauai, but I know the excursions are expensive.  It's too bad Keith couldn't take part.
Hope you are feeling better.

Jane, hope you and Ray are resting up from your company and that he is doing well.

I finally got the Shutterfly book on the wedding made up and ordered yesterday for John's sister.  Pictures help her stay up on who is who and what's going on.  Marilyn, you might try that with Keith.  I don't recommend the Shutterfly app. It is very difficult to use and freezes up from time to time.

John's playing bridge, so I am going to sort out some stuff for AM Vets who is supposed to come around Friday. Nothing else big going on.  Hi to everyone.  Good luck on bridge, Sue.    Sharon


Thanks, Sharon.  I don't want to learn/use a lot of conventions - just not that interested in earning more and more MP.  I'm glad when I play well enough to earn some, but that's not why I play bridge.  ;)

Marilyn, I hope you getting rested, but sorry you're having phone problems.  I'm sure Keith just doesn't do well with change, so he needs to stay with what's familiar.  I'm glad you could get some good free stuff to do.

jane, hope all is going well with you and Ray this week.

Sue, enjoy your bridge-playing.

It's cloudy today, but not an all-day rain thing. Then back to sunshine for the rest of the week.
We have a residents' meeting this afternoon.  It'll be our first chance to formally meet our new Executive Director and hear from the other Department Heads.

Happy Hump Day, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


Mary...good job on the duplicate. 

Sharon...good John can drive up to Hubbard. I don't think it's too far from DesMoines.

Sue...good luck with bridge today.

Marilyn...good to get a scan of that lymph node. Hope the cold gets better soon and K doesn't get it.

Darlene...hope all if ok in Tx.

Alpiner...same for you...hope all is ok there in CA.

Jeanne...you getting the storm today?

Cool, rainy day here.  We saw another onc this morning, and she's a hoot! She, like Dr. Wood, comes up from CR on alternate Wed.  She was late this morning, and suddenly this woman flies down the corridor waving and saying "Hello, Tribe! I'm here."  When she came into our "room" she started with, "So, how's this troublemaker?"  She just a breath of fresh air.  She felt, too, that Ray's doing very well on Taxol, and she gave us additional ideas for the digestive trouble and what will come next when these 12 treatments are finished.  That'll be the end of July.  She said she has a patient in her early 80s who's been on biweekly taxol for 2 years.  That put my mind at ease.  She said that are also other options.

I came home for some quiet time alone and to do some computer stuff.  Like Sue, I also put in a load of wash. I find doing smaller loads is easier for me than waiting and having a lot of big ones. 

I'll be leaving early in the morning for the visitation 2 hours or so south of me, so I may not get in until later in the day.



Keith already had the cold before I got it.


Never fails, Marilyn! ;D


Jane, I didn't realize Ray was back in the hospital. I presume it is for the infusion.  Glad you like the new Dr. and that she had good things to say.  As to bridge, I play 3 or 4 conventions, but I'm not very serious about bridge either. I play it for the social aspect.

I just heard from Sangmin. Melanie came through the surgery well and the bowel was not involved--a major relief. It'll be a week or 2 before we get the pathology report.  Sharon


Good news from both jane and Sharon.   :thumbup:
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


Hi everyone...finally getting a chance to comment...my eyes are healing well...today is 2 weeks...so most of restrictions expire today...Sharon...good news on Melanie...Marlyin glad you and K enjoyed your trip...hope you are getting rid of ur cold...Jane..know you were glad to have your sister visit...hoping Ray is continuing to improve..without side effects...Sue...I sure have missed walking..hope to start back next week..Mary..it finally quit raining and it was a cool 65 this morning...but sure the heat and humidity will go up...that's Texas....Hi to any one looking in...Have a great rest of day...


June 12, 2019, 06:11:54 pm #7095 Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:16:19 pm by alpiner1
I had a mammogram this morning , then saw the cancer surgeon .    , she found a bump .  I had an ultra sound after seeing the cancer surgeon.   it was a cyst that will probably disappear on its own !  Thank God !! 



"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


Woo Hoo, Alpiner, on the good report.  I hope all continues to go well.

I've had breakfast, emptied the dishwasher of the clean dishes, and read the morning paper.  I am not dressed yet, but will do that soon so that I can get my walk in before it gets too hot here.

Darlene, it's great to hear that your eyes are healing well.  I hope you'll be able to enjoy a walk outside today.  I love going out in my neighborhood (that is if I get out there before it's unbearably hot!). 

Mary, I'm thinking you must be busy this morning.  I hope all is well with you and you're having a nice day.

Sharon, I'm glad that Melanie came through the surgery OK.  I know it must be a relief.  Where does she live?  I can't remember, but think it might be somewhere close to your original home.  I hope you hear from the pathology report soon.

Jane, that's good news about the taxol and the new peppy doctor!  She sounds like a very positive person which in MHO is a big plus.  I'm glad she is helping lift spirits and is giving positive information!  I'm thinking this must be helping Ray feel much better.  Keep us posted.  Thoughts and prayers for both of you and the peppy doctor, too.

Tim was here briefly.  He stopped by to use my bathroom and rushed out to whatever he was planning for this morning.  He's going to take me to the doctor's office on Monday afternoon for a pace maker check up.  I don't think I'll be seeing Dr. Rhodes as he's usually in surgery.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.


I'm back home again after going for an echocardiogram.  It was an easy test - I just dreaded the 'getting=there'.  I had to go to the biggest hospital downtown, and it's really not that hard, except mentally.  I've found a non-freeway route, they have valet parking with handicapped plates, and wheelchair transport inside.  So I really have no reason to hate going there so much - I just do.  Oh, well - it's over for today.

Darlene, glad your eyes have done so well and that you're able to get out.

Sue, glad that you're available for "potty stops" for Tim.  :thumbup:

My Kate got moved into her new house in East Central Kentucky yesterday.  She sent pictures this morning.  The new place really suits her, and I think she'll be very happy there.  But at least it's done.

Happy Thursday, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


Hurray, Alpiner. Good mamm reports are always a relief.

Darlene, glad your eyes are healed.  I am having "surgery" for dry eyes tomorrow--a 10 min procedure. I don't think there's much healing time involved.  We had 60's yesterday too.  Brrr!  Supposed to be back up to 80 today.

Sue, Melanie is currently near Indianapolis, at least for the summer and until whatever treatments she has to have are finished. Their house is for sale there, so they might have to rent a furnished place if the tx are long term. Hopefully they won't be. They also have a smaller house in FL where they will go in the fall regardless of whether the big house has sold or not.

I IM'd with Mel last night. She was very lucid and not feeling much pain as long as she layed flat. I haven't talked to her yet today. Will call this afternoon.

I'm about ready to go to the grocery. Also have a load of laundry in the dryer.  John's playing bridge which he doesn't usually do on Thursdays, but someone wanted him to today. He came in first last Friday and yesterday at the big CLT club.

Hi Sue, Jane, Mary, Jeanne, and anyone else I haven't mentioned. Have a nice day.  Sharon


maryz   I now how you feel about going to the hospital for tests  . I was there yesterday for a mammogram , then had an ultra sound .  They wanted me to come back for the ultra sound until my husband mentioned its a 100 mile round trip for us .  They managed to squeeze me in  which was a time saver . 


Good morning, Buddies.  I've dressed for Kroger shopping with Eddie and have had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen.  I'm hoping he comes soon as we will go to the library first, then to Kroger.  I probably should get him to take me for a hair cut, but I think I can last another week. 

Mary, I am sorry you had to get around a big hospital for your appointment.  Since Tim usually takes me to appointments, it's not that hard.  But the waiting for the doctor and/or nurse to call me in for my turn is not fun.  My cardiologist usually arrives in the afternoon after morning surgeries.  My appointment is for 2:50 on Monday afternoon.  If the cardiologist is not there, one of his assistants will probably take my vitals.

Jane, I hope things are going well with Ray today.  The new doctor sounds like a hoot--and with a great bedside manner.  Keep us posted and let us know how it's going.  I hope you're taking care of yourself as well as Ray!

Alpiner, it's great that your husband mentioned the 100 mile trip and the nurse (or whoever was in charge) decided to squeeze you in.  To have to travel back again soon would be a real pain!

Sharon,  I'm glad Melanie is not feeling much pain. I hope the remaining treatments go well.  It's so hard when our children are having severe medical problems. Thoughts and prayers for her health and remaining treatments.  Keep us posted. 

Darlene, I'm glad you're getting back to normal.  I know you must miss walking outside and will be glad to start up again.  I guess start slow and build up as you feel like it.  Are you still having nearby flooding? 

Eddie just got here to take me to the library and to Kroger.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.


Well, phooey!  The PA just called and there are some irregularities on my echocardiogram. He explained a bunch of stuff, but I don't know enough to be sure of what he said.  In any case, he's making me an appointment for a cardiology consult.  I hate having something ELSE wrong. But it would explain the exacerbation of some of the problems I've had this year.  Sigh....

On the good side,  a friend from here who has moved away is coming in town this weekend.  We're having dinner together, and then she's spending the night with me.  So some good time for chatting.

Happy Friday, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


Mary, so sorry to hear you have something wrong with the heart. I've had cardiomyopathy (or heart failure) since 97 but Coreg keeps me in the normal category now.  Fingers crossed for you. Enjoy your friend.

Sue, thank you for your prayers for Melanie. It's possible that she will go home this afternoon. I messaged her, but haven't heard back. She did walk around the circuit yesterday, took out the catheter and stopped the fentenyl (sp?). Also dialed down the epidural. Apparently, it hasn't been nearly as bad as when she had the hysterectomy 6 yrs ago. Hope you got some good books.
I had my eye procedure this AM to correct my dry eye. The office is very close to the library, so got restocked there, then had to go to HT pharmacy, also close to pick up meds, one of which they didn't have.  I also have to go back to the eye dr next Thursday to get plugs put in the tear ducts. They were out of the right size.

I did a load of laundry and got it hung up yesterday, talked to both daughters and my sil. Also fixed a good pot roast dinner for us.  I had it pretty much ready to go when I got home from the grocery, so just had to brown the meat, add the wine, and shove it in the oven!

Nothing else planned for today.  Hope Ray is still improving and that all are having a good day.  Sharon


Sharon...good news on Melanie!

Alpiner...I had a number of breast cysts, too.  Surgeon would drain and it'd fill up again. He finally took it out.

Sue...hope Eddie arrived in time and got you to the store.

Darlene...good to have cooler temps and hurrah on the eye lids healing

Mary...bummer on having to go back, but good to know you can now maybe get a fix on whatever is off kilter.

Ray's not in the hospital. He goes up here to our local hospital for chemo when we can have it here in town.  It saves us a lot of time and travel. 

Tomorrow the "boys"...great nephews... are coming down late afternoon and staying overnight.  I think they want to do some chores for us.  Then next Wed. Donal and Patricia are coming and will stay until Saturday.  Today is Ray's 84th birthday, but they didn't want to all come at once and be too much for him.  He ended up in the hospital the last time there was a big group here.

The oncologist we saw isn't new....she and Dr. Wood rotate between the Wednesdays here...so they're as they both say..."interchangeable."  We've now seen all 3 of the oncologists at the cancer center...two women and one man.  I like them all.

Our Friday night friends are coming here tonight after their dinner out...and bringing dessert with them. That'll be nice and a change for us.



Good morning, Jane and Every Buddy looking in this morning.  I'm still in PJ's but planning to get dressed and out for my morning walk shortly.  I have cleaned up the kitchen, so that chore is out of the way.

Jane, Eddie did arrive on time and we went to the library and then to Kroger.  However he does love to talk, so after I put the groceries away, I sat down with him and did a lot of listening!  His partner, Dave, was working and not home, so he talked a lot!  I hope Ray is having a good day today.  It's great that the oncologists he is seeing are helpful and encouraging.  Thoughts and prayers for both of you.  Enjoy your dessert and evening with your neighbors.

Sharon, I hope Melanie does get to go home today.  It sounds like she knows what is best for her and is exercising when she can.  Let us know how the plugs  in your tear ducts work.  Hopefully they will be comfortable and will be helpful.

Well, Yuck, Mary!  I'm sorry about the echocardiogram and hope the doctor you will be seeing has a good solution.  However, it's nice that your friend will be able to spend the night with you--and I know you'll enjoy her company.  Keep us posted.

It's going to be another scorcher here, so I need to get my walking clothes on and get around the block(s) before it gets unbearable.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy and STAY COOL!



Morning, Ladies!

Sue...hope you got your walk in before it gets too hot.

Sharon...how do the plugs work in your tear ducts? 

It's to be humid here today, and already is as far as I'm concerned.  I have most of what work I intend to do today finished and am going to just chill out until the guys arrive late this afternoon. 



Stay cool, Sue.  It's due to be hot here today - back to seasonable, but I get to stay in all day today, so I don't care (as long as the a/c works).

jane, I love how your family is helping you out - and even taking turns.   :thumbup:

Sharon, I hope the plugs work.  I have some dry eyes when I first wake up, but some OTC moisture drops works just fine for me.

alpiner, glad you got to have the second test on the same day.  It's great when folks will work with you to help with the long distances.  One of the good things about Chattanooga is the accessibility to really good medical care within the relatively small area of our city.

My friend got here and we had a lovely visit and meal out (even with leftovers for me to have tonight).  An added benefit was that Margaret came over to visit for a little while and brought pictures from Jesse & Darby's wedding.  My friend left about 11 this morning, so some good chat-time and then I went up for lunch here.  And now, there's nothing else going on this weekend. YEA!

Happy weekend, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


It sounds like everything is going well at the DeNeve household. Lots of help  spread out.  Please wish Ray a very happy birthday. I hope he gets this cancer conquered and has many more.

Mary, it sounds like you had a wonderful 24 hrs with your friend + Margaret's visit. Aren't pictures wonderful?  I just heard from Shutterfly that our wedding book for Millie is en route. I know it will mean a lot to her.

Sue, hope you got your walk in early before it got too hot. Low humidity and low 80's here. Just perfect.

Melanie got home from the hospital last night and slept well. I know she's happy to be there.  I'll call her this afternoon. Just messaged this AM.

I don't have the plugs in yet because they didn't have the right size. I go back Thursday.  Mary, the eye drops didn't help me much.  I had plugs put in about 3 yrs ago and apparently they were the wrong size and they popped out. That was from my former optometrist.  This one measured the duct to determine the size, but we will see.

Tonight, we are going out to a new Italian restaurant with our neighbors to celebrate our anniversary. I didn't feel up to it on the 10th.

My legs and knee are hurting so much. I had to go to the pharmacy to get scripts and some more special eye drops. Didn't think I would make it. I hate hurting all the time and complaining about it.
For those it affects, I hope you have a nice Father's Day. I'm fixing steak and strawberry shortcake for John.       Sharon