June 06, 2020, 01:07:34 pm


We're glad you found us and now we hope all of our members will do the same--find us!  Please pass the word around by email, Facebook, etc.
Re-register and then go to INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Random Image

Bluebird on House

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

June 06, 2020, 01:07:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length


Jun 01 2020 8:12am
mycheal:  ;D

May 27 2020 8:28pm
Astro: Oldiesman:  Much better.  Thank you!

May 26 2020 1:21am
Oldiesmann: Should be fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

May 26 2020 1:08am
Oldiesmann: I must not have set the permissions correctly for that board when I set the site up again a few years ago (long story - there was a server crash years ago and no backup, so we had to start over from scratch). I'll fix it soon.

May 25 2020 6:09pm
Astro:   feel free to start a topic here. Any duplicated topics may be merged together so we don't have two topics of similar nature.  Has that been eliminated?

May 25 2020 6:07pm
Astro: Oldiesmann:  I'm not  trying to beat a dead horse here, but if you scan down this psge, you'll see  the following:   General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. If you don't think a topic is being talked about elsewher

May 22 2020 2:46pm
brian: never   many  in chatroom here------  poor  showing

May 14 2020 9:29pm
JeanneP: Brownies.

May 11 2020 1:02pm
Oldiesmann: I don't think we allow regular members to start new topics in most of the boards here

May 11 2020 11:54am
Astro: Oldiesmann:  I briefly brought it up with So P Bubble  and she thought you might be able to rectify my dilemma. 

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic


You'll certainly be in our hearts, jane.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


Good morning.....prayers for you Jane....God is with you....


It's 2:00 p.m. here this afternoon and I'm still sitting here in my P.J.'s.  I started posting here this morning and had read all the posts when a big rain storm came up and shut off all my electricity.  So I'm still in my P.J.'s and will probably stay in them the rest of the day!

I'm OK, just not ready to get dressed.  This is going to be a slug day for me.  I haven't had one in a long time, so I'm not going to change until it's almost time for the evening news! (or maybe not then!).

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.


I had my yearly check up this morning & asked the dr. about a spot on my arm which is tender, red with a white spot on top .  He said its a skin cancer & is referring me to a dermatologist . Dr.'s office sent in a request to our insurance to be approved & approval will be mailed in about 2 weeks . Other than that so far all is well . The dr. jokingly told me to get out of his office ! LOL !


Sue, we like those slug days occasionally.  Go for it and enjoy!

alpiner, glad you got a mainly good report.  We've all had places dealt with by a dermatologist.  I hope yours isn't a big deal - usually they're not.  I've had a couple frozen off.

Kate's going to be taking me home tomorrow.  We had company yesterday.  Jean and her friend, Jamie, came up for lunch.  And another friend came for the afternoon and stayed overnight.  So lots of talk and laughter.  Kate's new house is great - suits her so well, and Berea is a lovely little arts-and-crafts-heavy town.  I think she's going to do quite well here.

Hugs to jane.

Happy mid-August, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


Good morning, Every Buddy!  I've had breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen, and read the morning paper, plus made my Kroger list for today.  Eddie is coming sometime soon to take me over to the place where I have to renew my car license tag and then to Kroger.  This is an annual thing.  I am still not driving, but have to have a new license tag every year--and they are higher this year than I've ever had to pay.  Tim and I decided we'd keep my car here so that he and also my neighbor who sometimes takes me to Kroger as well as Eddie, can use my car for that weekly trip.

I also have a funeral (which I think is tomorrow, but have a phone call out for Bonney as she called to tell me about it.  The deceased is a long time church member who has been living out west somewhere near a daughter. She was a friend who often came into the church office when I worked on Fridays to get me to copy things for her and/or help look for something in the church files.  She must have been over 90 when she passed away this week.

Not much else to report.  I'm waiting for Eddie and hope he gets here soon as I'll need to get home in time to dress for the funeral--if it is today.  I've called Bonney this morning but had no answer, so hope to hear from her soon.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.  Jane, thoughts and prayers continue here.  I'm glad your friend has been able to stay with you for a while.



Hi everyone....I haven't done much today....I was wondering if any of you have/had thyroid problems?I think mine is hyperactive....even though my lab came back normal readings...I have lost some weight without trying...and other signs....hot flashes...think I will ask Dr to refer me to a Endocrinologist just to be sure.....Hope Sharon is doing well with rehab and also thinking of Jane....I am going to a friends BD party tomorrow...she turns 80...so that will be fun...Have a great weekend yall


Darlene, I had a partial thyroidectomy when I was 17 years old. I took thyroid meds for years and still take a thyroid tablet daily.  My son Tim has also had thyroid problems.  I don't know what causes it, but it can be quite a problem if I miss my thyroid meds.  Otherwise my health is pretty good for an 82 y.o. woman (except for heart problems!).

I need to get dressed soon as I am going to a funeral at 10:30 this morning with Bonney and Jean.  A long time member of our church has died and the funeral is in the church at 11:00 this morning.

Jane, I hope you are feeling well and your friend is still visiting you.  Thoughts and prayers for you from here in Auburn continue.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.


Hi gals. I FINALLY GOT s&F installed on my phone so I can keep ip.

Jane, of course is in all our hearts.


I'M progressing now at the rehab
 See the ortho on Wednesday..Will know more then. Still have sciatica It's  very nice here w/private room. I'll ck in when I can


Sue seems as if thyroid problems are hard to diagnose...my Dr says lab...numbers in normal range...but I'm going to request a full thyroid panel....Darlene ize]


Sorry about your friend, Sue - guess at our age, we're always loving our loved ones and friends.

Darlene, I hope you can solve the possible thyroid problem.

Shirley, I'm afraid I'm not painting any more.  Actually I pretty much stopped when I broke my arm/shoulder in 2011 (with the 3 subsequent surgeries), although  I brought some painting stuff with me when I moved.  I was talking about you with my daughter, Kate, last week.  Newly widowed, she's thinking seriously about getting a small RV to do some solo wandering in.  She'll probably rent one a time or two before spending serious money.  She's thinking along the lines of what you have, basically an outfitted van.  Are you still using the Mercedes van/camper? It'll be interesting to see what she does.

Kate brought me back home yesterday.  It was so good to spend the week seeing her settled in her new life/house/community.  We didn't really DO anything, but it was still a great week.  Now to get rested up for my not-so-exciting life.  I have a routine doctor appointment Monday, but that's all on the docket.  My appointment with the heart-valve specialist is on the 22nd, and we'll see what happens after that.

Love and hugs to all the Buddies - and especially to jane!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


August 11, 2019, 09:30:54 am #7391 Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:33:25 am by jane

Good Morning, Buddies.  Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts.  The visitation and funeral are over and were as I'd hoped.  I was amazed at the number of people Ray had worked with and hired over the years as well as those I'd taught with and Principal/Superintendent I'd worked for who came for the visitation and/or funeral.  The weather was ideal for the outside military rites at the church and for all the family traveling.  They came  from Virginia to Montana.  All are safely home now, except for my sister who is staying with me for a few days and will go the attorney's office with me on Wednesday. 

And so, a new chapter begins that Sue, Mary, Darlene, and Joy know all too well. Quite a few people asked me what I was going to do now.  I'm going to stay here in our house with trips to see Patricia and Donal and my sister when she's back in Ohio...at least as long as I'm able.

Have a peaceful, calm, and blessed Sunday,



Hi Gals.  John brought me my computer yesterday, maybe I can post without all the typos that I have on the phone.

Darlene, I have had low thyroid for over 50 years. The amount I take has to be adjusted now and then. At first my Dr wouldn't believe me that I needed more, but I pushed for the full thyroid panel and wonder of wonders, it proved me right.  I take 1.5mcg a day, however, I still get cold when I shouldn't.

Mary, good luck with your appts. I have my ortho appt on Wed.  They aren't doing any therapy on the weekend and I hate that. The nurses aren't allowed to follow me with the wheel chair when I use the walker and I'm still lacking the confidence to do much on my own. I can get to the bathroom on my own, using the wheelchair. That is a plus. I hate having to call the nurse's aid every time.  I did take a shower yesterday and washed my hair. Sponge bath sufficed today.

Jane, I know the big turnout at the funeral and visitation made you feel good and proud of Ray. I wondered if he would have military rites too. I'm glad your sister is staying for a few days. I don't envy you all the legal paperwork you still have to do, although, as I remember, there was a lot less for Mom when she lost Dad, but I had I lot when I lost her.  I think you are wise not to make any big changes to your living conditions for a while and when you really feel you need to. Maybe you'll choose to fly out to visit some of us BBs later. Especially in the winter. Take it easy and take things step by step.

John's back is a little better now that he's not having to lift me. He's at church today and will come by later.

I hope everyone has a blessed Sunday. I watched a service on TV.


Good morning, Sharon and Every Buddy looking in.  Sharon, I'm so glad to hear from you and hope you'll continue to improve.  I had a partial thyroidectomy when I was 18 and have been taking thyroid ever since.  I grew up in West Virginia and according to several doctors, the water didn't help as it was missing key ingredients.  So I hope you will continue to get the amount of thyroid you need for your best health.  Take care and keep us posted.

Jane, I am thankful that you had a nice group of friends and family for Ray's service.  It is so hard to lose a long time spouse--but is heart warming that so many friends attended the service and have contacted you if they couldn't be there in person.  Thoughts and prayers are here for you with hope that you'll be able to contend with any loose ends and paper work.  Take care of yourself and I hope you are able to sleep well.  Keep us posted.

I've slept late this morning and have stayed home this morning.  Some days just seem to be slug days for me--and this is one!

Have a nice day, Every Buddy!


Hello Buddies.Jane so good to see your post..glad the service and visitation went as you hoped for...I know you are a strong woman...and continue to hold you in the light as you take care of business...it's just one day at a time...Good your sister can extend her time with you....I was told not to make any major decisions for a year....if at all possible....thanks Sue and Sharon on sharing your experience with thyroid issues....my thyroid test was within normal range.....BuT.....intend to request a full thyroid panel due to symptoms I have....went to church this morning...finished lunch...now I will be a slug rest of my Sunday.....Hi to all...hope you are having a blessed Day


August 11, 2019, 05:52:40 pm #7395 Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:58:16 pm by Shirley
I have had a fractured day & week but want to let you know, MaryZ, that I had to part with my beloved Rialta after Cas died. It was about 16 years old, they are "collectables" now, but after a couple trips taking the cats with me because vets will not board them & nobody else can feed ferals.... I knew I had to get a bigger unit with a room the cats could be closed in so I could open the doors to get in & out without putting them in a cage first. The Rialta was gas powered, a VW chassis with a Winnebago conversion. They quit making them in early 2000 & the nearest is the Winnebago Travato. It is diesel but I did see one on a RAM chassis (gas powered) but didn't bookmark since I'm not quite ready to switch.

They are now selling in Europe one called the "California". Actually like one made years ago with the canvas raised roof so it should go into a normal garage & could be used as a vehicle for every day. Right now I have the Thoro 4 Winds 28F, gas powered, Ford V10, because I didn't want the extra challenge of diesel power. Mine has the full side slide out & not everyone's choice for bopping around, too many things to go wrong & is always in the weather to deteriorate, get hailed on. Maybe another year with it, but really nice to have frig, freezer & everything a house has, including TVs & DVD players in the living/eating area & bedroom. Cats & I chill out in the National Forest campgrounds in MO, (they are all over the US basically electric hook ups). I had visions of being on the road a lot more. Any RV will spend half the first year being in for "warranty work".... :knuppel2:

My sons go to CO (we make reservations the first of Jan each year to get our fav sites) & they camp in the site next to mine if we can. This year all sites that we like had week ends taken already so people have figured a way to jump the gun. We go to the same campground because we know all the good places in towns around (Salida & Buena Vista) to eat & unlimited hiking & fishing &  photo opts.

I have considered joining a group just for the safety of having someone that would miss me if something went wrong. I promise my kids to call them every night when on the road. (Yes, Mom)... I hope she gets one & that you decide to go along for short hauls at first, she'd probably feel better about going. And I really don't get a commission on selling these vehicles!

Jane, it has been 6 years for me, I'm 84 and still not ready to move. Make sure what ever you do it is YOUR choice. I will always have a pet, prefer a dog but these cats were so good to Cas for the years before he died that I feel like they are MY duty to take care of them as long as I can, and will have to have them put to sleep if I move because they can't be moved and will not allow any other humans in their lives (even my kids & they have seen them ever since they/cats were born). Cats are terrified of dogs so have not tried to adopt a dog... cats don't bark so no protection. Thoughts are with you, it does get easier. My one thought was "this is the first time in my life I don't ask someone else first what they want to eat".  WE still pops in now & then instead of ME or MY.

About the thyroid issues, anyone watching salt intake to the point they are not getting enough iodine?  That happened with Cas, but since I am a "salt-aholic" & careful to use iodized salt at home, mine has remained fairly level. My cholesterol & BP is over the top but I can't tolerate any of the meds so my doctors just shrug & let me do what I am willing. I am eating more fast foods & doubt if they use iodized salt so wouldn't be surprised if my slow down is due to that.

My daughter just left, cats fed & outside and I am seriously thinking about a nap. I wear a Fitbit Versa mainly to watch my sleep, have a terrible habit of getting up in the wee hours & staying up if anything special to do that day. 3 & 4 hours sleep is not enough for this old lady. Last night it was 4 hours & 19 min. Sometimes the cats wake me up if I leave the door open for fresh air & lots of times I wake up hungry, get up & fix breakfast & back to bed for several more hours. Fitbit works for me. Today is a heat warning, feels like an elephant sitting on your chest when you go out. Miserable, feels like 102° (but I whine all summer).


Thanks for the info, Shirley.  I'll pass it along.  She's following some groups that are women who camp alone.  Plus she's very level-headed.  I'm pretty sure she planning to rent for a couple of trips before she decides what to buy.

jane, glad things are settling down for you.  Those first few days will be tough, but they do eventually get easier.  Hugs!

Hope all the Buddies have good a good week. Stay cool!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


Good morning, Buddies.  I've been up for about an hour, but am still not dressed.  I have had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen and so far that's it.  I hope all is well with Every Buddy this morning.  It's going to be another scorcher here today so I need to get dressed soon and outside for my morning walk.

Jane, I'm glad the funeral went well and I hope that you are getting all the things completed that go with the end of Ray's life.  You will miss him every day, but just knowing he's no longer in pain and suffering can be a blessing.  Take care of yourself and try to rest when you can.

Good morning to Mary, Shirley, Darlene, and Every Buddy looking in this morning.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.



Hi Gals, I've washed, dressed, had breakfast and am now killing time till the therapist comes. None did over the weekend. The hospital actually sent me a survey on my visit and I didn't hold back. I told them everything that was wrong and that I didn't see a doctor.

Nothing went on yesterday. John came of course, and Brian and a neighbor called but that was it.  The Gabapentin (sp?) hasn't helped my sciatica much.

Shirley, my niece and her husband travel by RV in the west about 6 months of the year. He loves to fly fish. She not so much. Sometimes, he drops her off at her mother's summer place near Gunnison. It is beautiful there ad all the kids love it. MY sil is 87 now and every year we think she won't go, but with the kids help she still has.  I don't think I would enjoy RVing by myself, definitely not with cats!  I love my dog, but am put off by most cats.

Jane, I imagine you are doing legal things today. Good luck with it. When you finish what you have to, REST.



My dr. gave me stool sampling kit . I have used them before but this time the brush came loose from the stick in the little bottle . I called the dr.'s office this morning & left a message on their answering machine . It said I would hear from them in up to 2 days .  I would go to the dr.'s office but it is a 40 mile round trip .  Has this happened to you ? 


That was quick !  The dr.'s office called back in less than an hour ! I was told to stop by the office for another kit .  I will go tomorrow since the office is only open on Monday , Tuesday , Thursday & 1/2 day on Friday .  Then I can do some clothes shopping on the way home .


Alpiner...my Nurse Practitioner does a test for hidden blood in the stool when she's doing my Pap at my annual "wellness" check.

Sharon...glad to see your posts.  Keep up the good work on the PT.

Sue...So glad you're walking early in your scorching heat.

Mary...it sounds as if Kate has a beautiful new home in a wonderful town.

Shirley...good for you still going camping and caring for your cats.

Darlene...I also found my thyroid was not working as it should, according to the blood test I had done, and so I take Levothyroxin everyday.

We finally got some rain today and it's much needed. 

My sister is helping me with my Thank You notes by keeping track of the people I've sent to, and sealing them, putting on a stamp and my return address sticker.  I try to do some everyday and hope to finish them this week.  People have been so generous with donations for his memorial.  Some checks were made out to the Amer. Cancer Society and I contacted a local woman who works with Relay for Life and she said she'd get the check to the proper people.

Tomorrow she and I are going to Cedar Rapids and on Wednesday to Dubuque to the attorney's office.  Thursday I take her back to Dbq to fly home.



jane I no longer have the pap , dr. said it atrophied .


Good morning, Every Buddy.  Jane, I'm glad to see your post this morning.  You've been busy and are getting things done.  I'm glad your sister has been with you and has been a big help.  I know you have lots to do now but you will be able to get all the loose ends tied up soon.  Thoughts and prayers from Auburn for you today.  Take care of yourself and try to find some down time for resting.  Keep us posted.

I'm waiting for my "Every 2 weeks"  cleaning ladies.  I just had a phone call that they are on their way.  I've had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, so it won't take them long once they get here. 

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.


Good morning, Buddies!

Today is a "nothing" day for me - always a favorite. We're in the midst of this awful heat wave - highs in the 90s, with heat index well over 100.  Just like all the rest of the Buddies - except Marilyn and alpiner out there on the west coast.  I went out early this morning and watered my plants, then came back in, read, the paper, and took a good nap (after being awake since 4).  So much for my day.

alpiner, glad you were able to get hold of your doc.  One good thing about getting older - no more colonoscopies.

Sue, always good to see you checking in in the mornings.

Sharon, nothing easy about rehab, even if they don't work you on the weekends. I hope you continue to improve.  I played bridge last night.  We finally got some cards - enough to make it interesting - even if we only scored 42%.

jane, it's especially good to see you checking in.  You've still got a lot of paper stuff to do, and things will sneak up on you.  But you're at least through a lot of it.  The emotional part is the hardest, of course, and takes the longest. Lots of love and hugs going your way.

Darlene, Joy, Jeanne, hope you're making it through this heat.

Stay cool and in the a/c if you can, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."


Good morning...and another hot one here....if we can survive August....hopefully it will cool off...I finally convinced my Dr to do further testing on my thyroid...sending lab order in the mail...so don't know extent of testing yet...A friend told me I should go to an Endocrinologist...that medical Dr don't know how to read test results....don't really want to do that...have had my Dr 30 years plus...and think he's done a good job taking care of me...Sue I didn't walk this morning...by the time I was up and ready was already hot...Mayer tomorrow...Jane glad your getting necessary things done...I think God kinda numbs us for awhile giving us strength to keep going...glad your Sis is with you...I had ...Have 3 sisters and 5 brothers...just me and one brother still here...sure miss them all..Sharon thinking of you and cheering you on...be careful...Hi Mary Marlyin and any one else peeping in....Have a blessed day


I had a hard workout yesterday, walked to and from the gym (with the walker), rode the bicycle 20 mins and did some standing esercises.  I was really glad to do them, but today I'm really sore--especially my hip sitting here.

The nurse woke me at 5 for medicine and then came back at six to give me a shower and help me get dressed etc.  All done by 7:00!  I really didn't like the early regime. Anyway, since then a half dozen people have been  in to ask questions, etc..  My OT typed up all my questions for the Dr. tomorrow and faxed them, so he will know what my concerns are and so I won't forget anything.  One visitor yesterday from church + John, of course. Nothing otherwise. Lots of back and forth with the kids on Messenger.

Jane, I'm  glad you have help with the thank yous. I hope the attorney stuff goes well tomorrow.  When I helped Mom, it went smoothly, not so easy when I had to do hers.  Of course I was having chemo at the time too.

My hip is hurting a lot today and I haven't had therapy.

Mary, I'm so glad you are somewhere you can play bridge and have flowers on the patio.  Our heat is the same as yours.

Darlene, the 2 thyroid tests I know about are the T3 and the TSH but ;there may be more. Apparently, they are hard to read, so if you aare determined high or low thyroid, make not of the symptoms and if you get them again, see your doctor and be retested so they can adjust your medicine.  I'm low thyroid and take Levothyroxin or Synthroid and can't tell I have a problem when I'm on the right dose.

Dr told me I didn't need to test my stool..Glad for that.

Sue, stay out of the heat and read.  The activities director brought me some books while ago. I hope they are good.  John is playikng bridge all day so won't get here to be with me, but will meet me at the doctor's office tomorrow. The rehab will transport me.

Jeanne, are you hibernating from the heat?

Marilyn, I'm sure you are busy with Freckles and hospice. My thoughts are with you in regards to Keith.

No other news here. I'm sure the therapist will be in soon.  Sharon


It's good to see everyone's posts.  We had a rain-free day and my sister and I got to CR for some items.  We had lunch there, a stop at Sam's CLub for some glass storage containers with plastic lids that clamp down on all 4 sides.  Then on home and I finished my thank you notes.  I'll be able to mail them tomorrow then get the $ given into the bank and checks written and delivered to the American Legion and Public Library. 

I've gotten things together for the attorney visit tomorrow.  I hope I have everything I need. 



I went to the dr.'s office this morning & got a replacement kit . I was told to peel off a sticker that was on a paper that I'm to attach to a little bottle in the kit but I can't find the sticker like the one I was shown . There are 4 stickers but none of them look like the one I was shown in the office .


Good morning, Every Buddy.  I've been up for a while, had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen.  I need to see if my neighbor can take me back to the bank today or tomorrow as I am needing new checks.  I am playing bridge at 1:00 at Carolyn's and Terri is going to pick me up. Tomorrow is bridge day at Bonney's, too.  It's going to be another scorcher here in Auburn today--probably up to 100*!  Yuck!

Jane, I hope all goes well with your visit to the attorney today.  It sounds like you're pretty well organized and hopefully the paperwork will soon be finished.  How long will your sister be with you?  Thoughts and prayers continue for you from here in Auburn.  Take care of yourself--I hope you're sleeping OK and staying fit.

Buddies, I need to get some chores done and dressed for bridge at Carolyn's.  I have bridge at Bonney's tomorrow, too.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy and stay cool.  We're expecting temps today over 100*!