Random Image

Densmore Bridge

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jane

Today was the Memorial Mass for all those departed who are buried in Trappist Urns or Caskets made right there at New Melleray Abbey. For those of you interested here's a link to the Abbey:  newmelleray.org/  There were between 700-800 people there and the Abbot did a good job.  Afterwards they served lunch in a large tent on the grounds.

The odd thing was they had the mass in a big tent on the grounds since the church wouldn't hold that many...and I sat on the aisle.
 One row up and also on the aisle was a woman I hadn't seen in 20 years that I taught with.  We recognized each other and ate lunch together, so that was pleasant.

I'm home and have a load of wash in and have my suitcase packed and will add a few things in the morning to my carryon...eat breakfast downtown so I don't have to worry about leaving something on while I'm gone...and then off to the airport for an 11:00 flight to Chicago, a layover there and then a flight to Cleveland where my sister and bil will meet me.

jane

SCFSue

Good morning, Jane and Every Buddy looking in.  Jane, I hope your trip is a good one and no unneeded delays.  I know you'll enjoy the visit with your sister and brother-in-law.  Also hope the weather is pleasant up there.  We'll be anxious to hear from you!

It's going to be another scorcher here in Auburn.  I played bridge out at Ruth's yesterday.  Libba picked me up and took me in her car by the "scenic" route--which meant she used the streets she likes!  Ruth lives in a sub division which is west of Auburn.  I had some good cards and some not so good, but enjoyed playing with my friends.

I've had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, but am still in P.Js, so need to get dressed and get outside for my walk before the heat gets unbearable.  At last night's weather report, the weather girl predicted highs in the very high 90's and 100's!  Yuck!

Have a good day, Every Buddy.
Sue

Cottoncandy

Good morning...got up early this AM..so I could walk..our temps sound like Sues..it don't usually cool off until around Haloween...I am having flare up of psoriasis...can't find any thing that helps...have any of you had that problem? Jane..enjoy your trip and visit with family...it's always good to get away for couple days...I think...Sharon hope you are getting more strength every day and back to normal routine..Marlyin how's your feet? Jeanne did you get your BP Meds straightened out...I sure don't like the recalls..I had my shingles shot already...will get flu shot soon as I can...Mary hope you are improving daily...Hi to Shirley and Alpiner..others I missed...Have a blessed day

JeanneP

Jane. I thought you always drove over to Ohio. How far away are you?
Candy. I havnt called anyone on the BP problem. Think will just stay with them until the Appt. Oct 7. I still get the of balance after taken them in the morning.  Wears of after about 3 hours. Was same with all tried in last 6 months. Now it is to low.I can hardly stay awake after taking them.
Looks like the Dr. could start looking into what is happening with all these recalls.They just seem to try another kind. Like I say its number 4 for me just this year. I am not over weight and seem to eat good diet. Wish I could get it down to what can live with without pills. They say hard as you age. I don't sit that much as out most days. I still say it is Stress from trying to get the BP taken care of. Can't think of any other reason. Dont take anything else.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Jane. That Abbey sounds like it would be a peaceful place just to sit in. Now do they also have a Cemetery? Was your husband buried or Cremated?. Seems like Catholic religion now accepts Cremation. All my family that have passed in last 10 years in UK. have been.,:I have had the family plot opened up and put the my last ones in There. A mass was said by priest for my brother at the sight 5 years ago and I felt O.K about it after it was done. No grave lots to be had now in UK. The Muslems have bought all the land that was left. We could at least put 5 into a grave but they only allow one. And boy do they put the decorative Stones up.So high. Our family looks lost around them.
JeanneP

Marilyn

Surgery on my left foot is scheduled for Nov. 1. I still have to go to the lad for a blood draw and to ,y regular physician for an appointment, then back to the podiatrist for the per op on Oct. 22. So the ball is rolling now. aI will be in a boot for approximately 1 month then a 6 week checkup. After the first of the year I will make the appointment for the right foot. I could have had it done sooner if I had been willing to travel out of town to one of the other clinics oerated by my Dr. I chose to stay local.

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  I'm dressed and waiting for Eddie to get here.  He'll take me to the library and to Kroger for a little grocery shopping.  If he'd like to stay for lunch I have hot dogs ready for cooking.  I think it will depend on how his partner Dan is feeling today after last week's surgery.

It's going to be VERY HOT here today.  I doubt I'll get my daily walk in until after 5:00 this afternoon when it should be shady in my neighborhood. 

Jane, enjoy your trip to Ohio.  I know it's fun to visit with your relatives. 

Take care, Every Buddy, and try to stay cool.  It's going up to the high 90's here today.  Yuck!

Sue

SharonE

Yea! I got my computer fixed!  I'm feeling better and even walking a little, but carefully and not far from my walker. My therapist is happy with me.I don't have extreme pain now and have been out to play bridge Wed!! and to 2 dr's appts and out tonight to check out an independent living center.  We have pretty much made the decision to move into one, but we still have 2 more to check out. I really liked the one we saw tonight, but it was expensive.

Mary, I am so glad to hear that you are okay, if not well. I spent 8 or 9 weeks in rehab, so know what it's like. Follow the program--it works.

Jane, I'm so sorry you have had so much trouble getting all the paperwork straightened out.  The ceremony at the Abbey sounded lovely.  Have a good trip. I hope it cools down. We're still in the 90's.

Darlene, I'm glad you were able to go to your daughters. Those are special times.

Jeanne, I'm very allergic to poison ivy also, but had 2 really bad ccases as a teen and only 1 mild one since.

I got my flu shot last week and my shingles in June. You have to get 2. I got my pneumonia shot last year. Sue, don't forget the 2nd shingles shot.

Alpiner, that was certainly a dusy road. Glad it didn't make you sick.
Marilyn, I'm glad your foot surgery is scheduled. I hope it goes well.
Sue, I do hope you get Nic to get some sort of further education.

I hope I have remembered everyone's posts, but my thoughts are with all of you.  Especially Mary.   Sharon

SharonE

Hi everyone. No activity in here!  We went to a Retirement center last night.  It was really nice, but on the expensive side. We had wine and dinner with one of John's bridge friends that I also knew and got the inside scoop. However, over night, John seems to think we're better to stay in place. I don't know. We're going to go see at least a couple more and discuss it more.

I hope everyone is doing well today. I'm awfully tired from our excursion, but I still plan to go to church tomorrow. Hope I can handle it.  Have a good weekend/]

maryz

Hi Buddies,

Gonna try to write a little bit.  I'm still at an awkward angle with the laptop, and can't type too well.  Anyhow, I'm slowly gaining strength.  This rehab hospital is fabulous - nothing but PT, OT,  and other types of therapy.  There are stoke victims, TBI patients, veterans, amputees, etc.  Folks have 2 hours of PT and one of OT 5 days a week, one of each on Saturday, and Sundays off.

I'm slowly improving, but am still with a  walker or in a wheelchair all the time.  I'm currently scheduled for discharge home on 2 October (hard to believe this all started on 22 August).  We'll see how it goes at home.

Marilyn, glad you have your surgery scheduled.

Sharon, glad you're home and improving.  I never could get John to move, but moving out of the house was great for me.  I hope you can find a good match for you.

jane, Glad you're getting away for a few days.  Hang in there.

Love and thanks for the support from all of you - Sue, Jeanne, Darlene, alpiner, Shirley.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JeanneP

I keep thinking of looking more into the Senior Housing. Some beautiful ones around here.. I just don't like being around that type of living.Now I think I could go with one more like a appartment. I still would not like the dining part of the others and I am more of a loner. Never been a joiner of sorts, Its just that I prefer own home. Would be happy if I could replace the Handyman, Yard man and easy to get help when needed. Just seems impossible now that mine have had to retire and all my neighbors of last 30 years have died or  gone into nursing homes. We all just helped each other. I suppose one day something will happens and I will have to do something. They do seem to be very expensive for what one is getting,. I swear one could get a house keeper. cook, auto driver for less. Still have ones privacy
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  I've had breakfast, read the paper, and cleaned up the kitchen, but I'm not dressed yet.  I need to get dressed and outside to walk before it's unbearably hot here.  The afternoon temperature will be hitting close to 100* today.

Jeanne, good luck with finding Senior Housing.  I also want to stay in my home as long as possible.  My yard needs lots of work and I'm hoping my grandson will come up and help me for a while.  I have a cleaning service every 2 weeks and manage to keep every thing tidy between their visits.  I have hardwood floors throughout the house and it's easy to use a dust mop to tidy up.

Mary, what a treat to see your post this morning!  You've had a tough go recently but it looks as if things are beginning to look up.  I hope you'll continue to improve and will soon be back to your regular happy self.  Thoughts and prayers from here in Auburn for you.

Sharon, I hope you felt well enough to get back to church yesterday.  I know you must miss it and seeing your church friends.  You've had a tough road to hoe and I hope that you'll continue to feel much better and get back to your activities ASAP.  Keep us posted!

I hope Jane is having good weather and a nice time with her Ohio relatives.  I really enjoyed looking at the website she posted recently about the Abbey.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue   

SharonE

Jeanne, I'm not a loner and would love having company and activities during the day. John, however, is a loner except fo bridge and I have to drag him to anything.

Brian is back from his week in Italy with Lori and had a wonderful time.  She is still there. Her boyfriend flew over as Brian left. Their pics on FB are great.  We were there in 92, so have forgotten a lot.

Sue, I do hope Nic comes up and helps you out with your yardwork. It sounds like you do way too much.

Mo, my therapist, has already been here and we walked a little farther today and did some different exercises. He also said I could ride the bicycle again.

I did make it to church Sunday. They have a 5th Sunday breakfast fellowship instead of Sunday school.  I've never had so many hugs and welcomes and greetings in my life. Everyone seemed so happy to see me back.

I need to do the church events for the papers today. I try to do that on the 1st of the month for the month based on our monthly newsletter.  Sometimes, I have to send in additions if something comes up though.

I did cook dinner and do a load of wash yesterday with John's help, so I'm gradually getting back to normal.

Mary, I know you will be as thrilled as I was to get back home tomorrow. There's nothing like home. I presume one of your daughters will be there or a nurse to help you.  Just don't overdo it. I think that's what I did the first time. It's so good to see you post again.

Marilyn, I hope you're having a fairly good day.  Have you thought about going to the coach of the local HS and asking if several of them could come pull that carpeting, etc, out?  Probably a$10/hr would be gravy to them.  Just an idea.

Marilyn

No Sherry I don't think I will be doing that. Keith wouldn't like a bunch of kids  in the house. There is more work than just ri[ping the carpet out. Furniture has to be moved and the floors sealed after the carpet comes out. We can't afford to be paying several people to do a job that could be done for free.We don't have a lot of $$$ after paying for  the new roof and now getting the insurance on the house.

Yesterday I hired a new landscaper because the other guy wasn't doing a very good job.This is someone in our neighborhood. He only works within the neighborhood.

SCFSue

Good morning, Sharon, Marilyn, and Every Buddy looking in this morning.  I've had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, but am not yet dressed for walking outside.  I want to get out soon for my walk before the heat gets way too high.  We've been having temps above 95 daily for several weeks.  It's unusual for early October here in Auburn.

Jane, I hope the weather is fantastic in Ohio while you're there.  Thanks again for posting the link to the information about the monastery.  I enjoyed looking through that web site.  Have a great time with your Ohio relatives and also a safe trip home when you're ready to return!

Marilyn, I hope the new landscaper turns out to be a really good one.  I know you'll be glad to have things tidied up and kept neat.  I also hope Keith is doing well today.  Thoughts and prayers for you and Keith from here in Auburn.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

SharonE

Sorry Marilyn, that that wouldn't work for you. Was just trying to be helpful. Hope the landscaper works out well for you.

Hi Sue. Has Nic committed to coming up to stay with you yet?  Your temps are really high and so are ours. We've broken several records in Sept.  I think they said we had 81 90+ days so far this summer. Supposed to cool down a little this week, I think.

John's gone today, so I've been trying to organize some paper stuff and also write some cards to friends. I also looked through the brochure for the place we're going on Friday. Quite a bit cheaper

Hope Jane is having a good time and that everyone has a good day. Sharon

jane

It was a wonderful visit with my Sister and her family.
 I flew back here today and got home before the severe storms started through this area.  I was afraid they'd come while I was in the air...and I hated the thought of that.

I'm looking forward to bridge tomorrow and getting my mail for the days I was away. 

jane

SCFSue

Good morning, Jane and Every Buddy looking in this morning.  I'm glad you're home safely and had a good time with your relatives in Ohio.  I've missed your posts!  I have enjoyed viewing the monastery clips which you posted.  It was a really nice website and I found it enlightening. 

Sharon, Nic hasn't talked to me about coming up here.  I'm still hoping he will, but it is his decision to make.  I know he and Stacie have been having daily confrontations--and I wish he'd come up here.  I could use the help and also would like to interest him in attending Southern Union--a local college which might help interest him in obtaining a degree.  It has regular college courses as well as classes which are designed to help those without a college diploma to further advance their education or to steer them into classes which will promote job opportunities.

It's going to be another scorcher today.  I need to get dressed and outside for my morning walk before it gets much hotter.  Last night the weather man predicted highs at almost 100*!

Have a nice day, Every Buddy--and stay inside if your weather is as hot as ours is going to be!

Sue

jane

Good wet Wednesday morning.  Rain continues and I just got a text message from the police dept that the river has again flooded West Main St.  It happens so often lately, it's not much of a surprise.  Luckily, one of the businesses that was always flooded went bankrupt and the city bought the building and tore it down. It's now a parking lot for the white water part of the river and so immune to flood waters.  It's just in the upper 50s now and to continue.  I really prefer those temps now. 

I've got my laundry going and have gotten a few other tasks taken care of...ordering new mastectomy bras from Jodee, that Sharon had told me about. 

Tomorrow I'm going to continue changing some contents of my kitchen cabinets around. There are things Ray used all the time that I don't, so I'm making them more convenient and reachable for me. 

I'm off to bridge in about a half hour and will pick up my mail on the way home.

jane

SharonE

Hi Jane, glad to see you home safely and getting reorganized. Have fun at bridge.

Sue, I think your ideas for Nic coming up really sound good, as long as he doesn't object to your directions like he does his mom's. Getting him back in the local school also sounds good. If it makes you feel any better, Sean is going through much the same stage. He hasn't decided what he wants to do or where he wants to go to school and hasn't sent in his applications, but he knows the deadlines and so B & T are letting him be. He is keeping his grades up and continuing as Capt of the cross country team, but he doesn't talk much and is more or less a loner. He will be 18 in January and all 18 yo's know everything. I know I did and my kids did. However, I wasn't as obnoxious about it, so I lived!   :2funny: Give him time.  Has Jon suggested he come stay with you?

John and I returned the living room to normal this morning and my den. I'm still not sure I can lay on the couch to watch TV or read and still get up. We'll ask Mo for his imput when he comes at 1:30. My sofa is so low that it puts a great strain on my knees. I need to check out some place that could put higher legs on it. It's nice to be back in my den though. I did get all the church events typed and sent to the newspapers yesterday. I had a really productive day.

Hi to everyone. Have a nice hump day.  Sharon 

JeanneP

I can't decide if I want to go out  Hate to dress up.
It will be 87 again today. They say cold and rainfor weekend and I will be glad to see it.
Misses out on our 60'70 weather.
Ned to go get my flu shot. Still got this bad rash on my neck. Need to get something for it. Seems to be by my gold chain but never have taken it or my ear rings off in 45 years so don't know why now.
Glad you had good time Jane. Only one time did. I get in bad weather on plain . That was coming back around Newfoundland. Never want that again.
I think I am just going to let this retired man be my handyman for small things now. Let the big jobs go until spring. Tired of trying find anyone. Outside looking o.k. Roof done,steps in porch painted and most house washed. I bet we have cold winter. Furnace people out next week. Just settle in for winter.
Not enjoyed the summer at all.
JeanneP

Cottoncandy

Hi everybuddy...had to go get some grocery shopping done...so didn't get in my walk..but big as well mart is think that would coun count...I also got my flu shot yesterday....hoping it works...Jane glad to see you had a nice trip and back home...we are supposed to get our first cold front next week which should drop our temps more comfortable...I also had a bone density test done...I'm sure I have osteoporosis...being thin as I am...not sure if I want to take Meds to treat it....do any of you have that and wha do you take...well better get off here ..Hi to all

maryz

HOME!!!!

I got to come home today.  And even with our record-breaking temperatures, it's still great to be in my own chair, in my own place!  I've got three doctor appointments next week - so far.  The incision is still sore, but otherwise, I'm doing pretty well.  Margaret's gone to pick up the Rx from the hospitalist.  There are a batch of new ones that I'm going to have to learn, and I'll be spending some time this afternoon rearranging all the old and new meds.

jane, glad you have a good visit with your sister and are starting to sort things out at home.  We're due to have some cooler weather over the weekend, and maybe even some badly-needed rain.

Jeanne, sorry you've been so frustrated with the care of your house.  That was the main reason I didn't want to stay in my house.  But we each have to do what works for us, don't we.

Sue, hope something works out with Nic - I'm sure it will - one way or another.

Sharon, glad you're continuing to improve and get back to normal.  I'm looking forward to doing the same.

Marilyn, I think of you often, dealing with Keith's dementia and all that goes along with it.

Darlene, I take the generic for Fosamax for osteopenia, and have no side effects.  But then I rarely have side effects.  Good luck.

alpiner, glad you didn't have any repercussions from the dusty drive.

Hugs to all the Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Hi Gals, I'm rather depressed today. One of our SS members passed away. We were going to go visit him this afternoon in hospice house. I feel so sad for the daughter and family. Her mother died 2 or 3 yrs ago and then his son committed suicide about a year ago, so her entire family is wiped out. They were from Canada and the sweetest people ever.  We knew he was on the way out due to lung cancer, but still!

A good note to balance that for me is that Mo said he was going to try me on the cane next week :o I do hope I can handle it, but not sure yet. Still getting stronger daily. I am able to get up from the sofa now! That has been a trial for over a yr before my fall, due to my weak knees.  I have an appt with the back dr. this aft.

Mary, it is so good to hear from you from your own apt and to know that you, too, are improving daily.  Margaret is an angel for you. We have broken 2 records this week and maybe another today, then we drop dramatically into the 70's.  Only a 30% chance of rain Monday. We need it badly.

Darlene, I take an infusion once a year for osteoporosis. I think it is Restat or something similar.  No side affects.

Jeanne, I'm glad you found a handyman. Those are hard to find. Hope he is good.

Jane, I hope you are having a good day and getting some more organizing done.  We need that too.

Marilyn, I hope your foot isn't too painful. Thinking of you and all your trials.
Sharon

jane

Mary...it's so GOOD to see your post and know you're HOME!!

Sharon...whoo hoo for you too...you're really making progress. 

Darlene...I've had osteoporosis for sometime, but I won't take the meds, so I don't bother with the bone density scans anymore. 

Sue...I hope Nic finds his way.  I think a lot of young people are uncertain about what they want to do ...school, training, etc.

Jeanne...sounds wise to rely on the local retired man and wait until next spring for the other things.

Marilyn...What will the surgeon do to your feet?

I called again about Losartan and my medical person switched me to metropolol.  The pharmacist said to take it at night to lessen the side effects.  I'm to try 25mg for a week and then go in and have my BP checked.

It's 50 here and windy...and delightful!  I had to dig out my  cords and a turtleneck and a fleece jacket to get my errands completed today.  We had 4" of rain on Tuesday, and so flooding in the low areas and the river is running very fierce. 

jane

Cottoncandy

Hi Jane....that's me...I don't want to take Meds for osteoporosis either....and thus will probably be my last scan.....let me know how taking the metoprolol at night works regarding side effects....it's still hot in Texas...but due to cool down next week.....Have a great evening

Cottoncandy

Jane did they tell u metroprol needed to be taken with food?

jane

Darlene...Pharmacist said take at night to lessen side effects of dizziness and can take with or without food, but it's absorbed better with some food...so take at night with a snack was his recommendation.

jane

Marilyn

I take my Metoprolol twice a day at Breakfast and supper.

Jane I am not sure yet how the  surgery on my feet will be. There are a couple of methods to consider, one is Laparoscopic where thy go in with the camera to see where to make the cut on the Plantar Fascia. but I have not discussed this with my doctor yet. That method seems to be the less invasive and quicker healing.I will find out more on the 22nd when I go back,.

Raining here today. The new landscaper is coming tomorrow to get started on the yard. I think he will just do the mowing and weed eating  at that time then come back to  prune the  Rhodies and Hydrangeas.

jane

Friday morning greetings from a cool Iowa....47 here and sunny.  Perfect day for me...highs in the upper 50s. 

Marilyn...will cutting that nerve make your foot numb?

Darlene, Sue, Sharon, Mary, Jeanne...hope your temps all moderate soon. 

Cutting a nerve was one option when we thought our niece would need more brain surgery, but Mayo docs say it's not a granuloma...just the teflon sponge they're seeing.  SO...no rush to go in again.  She's greatly relieved as all of us are.

I've unloaded my chest freezer in the garage and will get the shop vac to suck up all the ice and water that I can't reach.  One of the problems of being 5' tall (or short, actually   :smiley6600: ) and not having my 6'3" hubby around to help.  I've been reading up on how to use the shop vac to suck up the ice and water on the bottom of the freezer, so I hope I'm good to go. 

Still re-arranging cupboards, too, and taking to the basement things I won't use.  Ray loved glasses of all kinds and we have more than I'll ever use, so packing some up to donate or take to a consignment sale this spring. 

Nothing exciting planned here today. I went to the grocery and bank and did all that first of the month stuff, so plan to read, finish the freezer defrost and see if I can get the Blackhawks hockey game on at 1:00.  I don't know if I can get the Chicago station.  With all the dumb and unused channels I get, I wish we could choose what we want and opt out of the crapola we don't want.  :thumbup:

Have a peaceful, calm, and joyful Friday,

jane