Random Image

My Girls..

Owner: Amy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:43:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

Lot like winter here now. So dreary. I painted my shed Sunday and it was69 deg. Got yard cleaned up. I have stopped waiting for handy men who don't show or bad at jobs. Will do what I can myself until spring. One will repair the one board on shed on a dry day.
Had a good day yesterday. Thought I would be sore today from it . I'm not. Slept 9 hours.
Started on small bedroom first. Been using for junk room for years. Now may use for winter. I was alway pretty good installing carpet. Had a roll of indoor outdoor  I was going to replace on porch but decided to just stain it. Decided to install in bedroom. Took hours. I forgot that lifting heavy pieces not good for me lifting so had to empty very thing . All furniture had at least 40 years in there. Brass bed and heavy chests. These carpets are always rolled wrong way.but got it down. Also had to cut for some areas. Today will put all things back together polish and spray drapes. Make up bed and then on to next room. Kitchen. Not much in there. Just polish down cabinets and was curtains.
Covers got here for living room furniture. It will be next. Doubt I get carpet cleaners out now. I use a lot of throw rugs in winter and they are all no cleaned.
So my work planned for this week.
Now p to 38 deg.

Glad you enjoyed your trip Jane. Like me. You enjoy going but ready for home in 3 days. I havnt been enyplace out of town in over a year. Maybe do better in 2020.

All enjoy your day
I am not going to spell check this today. iPads seem to want to use their own words
JeanneP

SharonE

Dry needling is a little like acupuncture. They use the same needles but spin them or something in the muscle knots.  She found all the painful spots and they really do seem better. I will need to go in once a week for a while to keep the knots broken up. I do hope it is effective.

Jeanne, you wear me out with all you're doing!  Wish I could do that kind of work.  Be careful and don't hurt yourself.
All for now. Sharon

Shirley

Just wanted you to know I peek in now & then, to check on everyone. We are expecting rain & snow mix tonight & tomorrow. The wind keeps our chill index in the "miserable" mode.

Mary, I've been very interested in your progress since the doctors here (at least so my cardio nurse tells me) don't mess with the tricuspid valve & that's the one showing worse in my last Echo & heart cath. I am not buying their idea to replace the aortic valve they put in (pig) 6+ years ago & 3 bypasses, because "it might take the strain off the tricuspit" when it didn't seem to make any difference the first time. Had stents put in this spring during another heart cath & wanted to schedule valve job right then. I declined. Anyway, glad you seem to your active self again.

Couple weeks ago my left knee started giving me fits, not the bone but tissue under & around. Didn't do anything to hurt it but was having to keep weight off. Then on Friday I was heading out to MO for a family reunion & thought tires felt funny so got out just around the corner from my house to look & wnen I went to step back in the side door (RV) put too much weight on that leg & it crunched. Even open heart surgery & 3 babies didn't compare with that pain. I was hanging onto the door & grab bar inside so pulled myself in & crawled to the driver's seat (thank goodness NOT the driving leg) & got me home. Have had xray & doppler & now to the sports Dr Thursday to determine what to do. All the horses I've been thrown from & roofs I've jumped off of & never had a knee problem. Certainly can put one out of commission. I canceled the Cardio appointment until we see what the knee will require. BUT, I'm telling all this to find out where you had your surgery done, Mary.... I am impressed they fixed you up with both valves at one opening.

Jane, sounds like you are doing well with your new life. This is a great bunch of Buddies to keep your spirits up.

Sharon, I've never heard of that type procedure but appreciate anything that isn't a pill to cover up. I want to be FIXED and not patched.

Marilyn, all the years I've known you, you've been a caregiver...people and animals!

Sue, when I read your posts you "are the typical college town lady" neatly dressed & proper. Funny how we picture people, isn't it?

Darlene, sounds like you thoroughly enjoy your family and they enjoy the time with you.  I picture an outgoing, joyful group when you get together.

And JeanneP... you amaze me with all you do, moving furniture & installing carpet!  Goodness, that was a chore 30 years ago! 

Lastly, Alpiner, I haven't gotten a good picture of you except you are adventurous & love old cars, is that right?  I come to read when I have a chance & think of all of you as people I know. I do recall when I mentioned that I didn't do "Pap & Mammy" anymore, y'all jumped all over me. Nicely, of course. At almost 85 I have enough problems to not go looking for more so still stay away from even knowing because with my history of scares with all meds, I don't want to consider what I would or would not do if I knew.  Not that I want my kids to pull the plug, but I weigh the fear of pain meds & chemo against letting nature take it's course. At least we can all make our own choices yet, right?!   

And now I will shut up for another month or so... but I will be sneaking a peek. Take care.  Shirley

jane

I'm home to cold Iowa where there was 2+ inches of snow this morning ...mostly melted by tonight but more coming tomorrow night.  Plane was delayed...were out from gate when we had to go back for a "maintenance issue."  :P  Scary stuff, but got home ok.

Great visit, but good to be home, too.

Jane

SharonE

Shirley, good to hear from you except hearing about your knee. I hope your doctor can fix it up, but prepare for lots more pain and disablement.  I don't know anything about valve surgery. I have 2 that are mildly leaking but don't need surgery, thank goodness. I'm so glad Mary is doing so well after hers.

Jane, welcome home--even if it is to snow. Guess you'll have to get used to it again. Do you still have the boy that cleans your drive, etc?

My pain relief was short lived from the dry needling, but she said I would have to have several treatments. I talked to the tech who tweaks my back settings and she said the remote probably just needed to be updated rather than the generator replaced. Hope she is right. I see her tomorrow.  I'm also supposed to get my car washed and detailed tomorrow afternoon, but rain is forecast, so that may have to be put off yet again.

Jeanne, hope you are resting today.

Mary, how is it going? Keep us informed.

Hope Marilyn's foot surgery goes well tomorrow. She will be laid up for quite a while.

Have a good day.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  I've had breakfast, unloaded the dishwasher and put the clean dishes away and then put my breakfast things into the dishwasher.  I've not dressed yet for my usual morning walk as it is drizzling a bit and I'd like to wait until there is NO rain!  However, our weather man has predicted rain off and on  all day.  So I might be inside almost all day.

Jane, I'm glad you had a nice visit with your relatives in Minneapolis, but I'll bet you were glad to get home, too.  No snow here in Auburn and no sign of any, although more wet weather is expected.  It has been drizzling outside all morning.  The first year I moved to Auburn (after Bob died) it snowed about an inch and every yard in my neighborhood had bare yards because every house had a tiny snowman out by the curb. I had to laugh as the 2 tours Bob had in Maine, the boys and I had to shovel daily!

I need to e-mail my brother in Central California.  The fire pictures I'm getting on the news are mostly showing southern California and I can't tell if he and Karyn are affected. Both of them work outside of their home and will probably not be home until later in the day.  However if there is snow where they usually go to ski on weekends, they may be up there.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

JeanneP

Still sitting here in my robe figuring out what to do today. It stormed all night no still raining . They say may get the snow Jane got later. I have To go to store for milk and few things today.
Maybe take the tip someone mentioned. Take a day off. I need to take a big rug to cleaners and wash mattress cover and spread for putting the finished bedroom together.
Spent all afternoon yesterday fitting these new covers over love seat and lounge chair. I could never figure those things out. Got them on but still not right. I just wanted a change of colour for winter.
Jane. Last two times I have flown that has happened when flying. Got us off to fix repairs. Scares me into thinking,What if they didn't fixit right. Getting to old to be driving long distances alone now I tell myself but yet hate flying. Got to get over it or will never get out of town. Doubt I will go far this winter.

Things out west seem to be getting worse with the fires. So many loosing homes. Some really expensive areas. Few movie stars lost theirs but some I suppose own more than one. It is the people with children .jobs and kids in school that hurts most. Yet they say rebuilding.
Well noon,better get moving

Have a time pulling up off floor now which I forget when I get down.so far no hurting joints. I have lost 10 lbs over past few months. Not even trying but I believe it does seem to have gotten BP good and lots more energy so maybe one day can get off BP meds. Will see. Would like that.

Blood panel all turned out good. Last family past now at 94 in UK. So got to aim to beat that. Fast as time goes not many years to go.

JeanneP

SharonE

Jeanne, go see your family while you can and while you're healthy enough. Time marches on. I'm not sure if I mentioned that one of my sorority pledge sisters and closest friend there has been diagnosed with liver cancer and they have stopped treatment. I do wish I could fly up to see her, but don't want to impose on her and not sure if I could handle it.

John is doing the grocery shopping for me today as he will be gone the rest of the week. I was going to do it, but it's supposed to rain again tomorrow and I'm afraid to cross a wet parking lot and use an umbrella with my cane.  I'll pack for him later this afternoon.

I did my exercises so feel virtuous.

Melanie and Sangmin are in Napa valley, but they say the fires are north of them.  However they can smell smoke. I was glad to hear they are safe.  Rainy and chilly here.  Sharon

JeanneP

Sharon

I have decided now to no longer be going to friends who are either in hospital. Dying. Etc. gotton now way to often. This last 2 months lost 2 of my long time neighbors, none of people I worked with now with us. My best friend I will drive the 49 miles to her who one in nursing home with Alzheimer's. It upset me to much when I last went. All were much younger than I am.

Will maybe try one more time in spring to fly to UK.Will see.

What with all the news they seem to think we need to see on TV daily I found I was getting depressed. Can't let that happen.

I an not a Christmas person and already the malls ,stores and the newspaper filling up with things Christmas stuff. Crazy.  I have already today had phone calls 2 politics. 3 health insurance . Credit card companies. And two no voice. Going to be a bad 3 months. Changing phones and companies no help. They get you in 2 weeks. So just let voice pickup now.

JeanneP

maryz

Just a few notes.  Shirley, I had my surgery here in Chattanooga supervised by the Chattanooga Heart Institute at CHIMemorial Hospital.  My knee replacement was a definite success, but the rehab physical therapy is hard.

I was supposed to get my mani/pedi this morning, but when I woke up, my back was killing me, so I called to cancer - didn't feel like doing anything.

We've had another inch of rain so far today, with more to come.  At least we're not having snow.

Stay warm and dry, Buddies.

p.s.  Thinking about you with your surgery, Marilyn.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Hope Marilyn's surgery went well.  I forget...did they do both feet? 

Mary...good idea to stay home if you're hurting.

Sharon...hope you can get your back thing fixed so you get relief.

Sue...careful walking in the rain...though your temps are probably high enough you don't have to worry about ice.

Jeanne...yup...we "Northerners" have found winter already. 

Alpiner..hope you're safe from the fires...and the smoke. 

It's a WHITE Halloween here.  The little ghosties will blend right into the white stuff.   :2funny:   It's snowing as I write this and there are already several inches on the ground.  I'm glad I bought my new snow boots when I did. They got their first workout this morning taking recyclables and garbage to the curb.  I love them. 

My surgeon's office called at 7:30 to change my appt to see him from this morning to Nov. 12.  He was called in for emergency surgery this morning.  It's just the physical part of the mammo so no big deal.  There was no call back, so all good there. 

I'm kind of glad I don't have to drive to Dbq on this second snow of the year.  Always people who forget how to drive on it and go way too fast for the conditions. 

I do have an appt at 2:30 with gal who's gotten some accounts all centralized for me.  That's right here in town, though, and I need to drop off new POA for Health Care at the hospital and Clinic.   

Happy End of October!

jane

alpiner1

Our power was off from Tuesday evening until yesterday afternoon .  Neither the cross top freezer or big freezer didn't defrost . The nights were a bit cooler too, so that helped . The main street of our town has under ground electricity & wasn't affected so  by the shut off so we had breakfast there one morning & I stopped in the afternoon to pick up coffee .

Cottoncandy

Hi Buddies....so glad to be able to get to this site...kept getting gateway error...couldn't get in last 2 days....hopefully the problem or error has been fixed...Marlyin I did send you a txt..not sure if u got it....Hi to all stay warm

jane

It is good to see the site is back up. 

Jane

maryz

Glad we're up and running again. 

Marilyn posted on FB that she's doing pretty well. She only had one done.  I think she's due to have the other one done later (January?)  I know it'll be hard for her.

It was in the lower 30s this morning here, but should warm up later in the week.

Stay warm, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Glad we're back up and running. I slept in late this AM. Only day I could.  The back tweak hasn't helped much. I got my car washed inside and out at our lodge 3 blocks from here. Vendors come here and give discounts.  Then when I got home the rug cleaner came. They really needed to be done. I'd had them scheduled in July but had to ccancel. Today is a free day more or less. Have to get the house back to order.  Church tomorrow and by the time I get home, John should be home unless he decides to stay for the Sunday games. He hasn't done very well so far.

Melanie got home from San Francisco and the wine country yesterday.

Lori has been inundated studying for a new certification this week and will have classes today and tomorrow and take the test next weekend. It is on cybersecurity and very difficult.

Jane, sorry you have snow already. Mary, I hope your back gets better.  Hi to everyone else.

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  I've been out of bed for an hour or so and have had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen.  It's cooler here today and I need to get dressed and outside for my daily walk.  Eddie took me to the library and to Kroger yesterday and I bought an apple pie on sale at Kroger--so we had another cup of coffee and a slice of pie before he went on about his regular other chores on a Friday!

I just had a reminder about going off Daylight Savings time tomorrow morning.  That will play "Hob" with getting to Sunday School and Church!  I need to call Olyne to see if her grandson's family is coming down to today's football game at AU.  She baby sits her great-grands when they come down for the game.  Sometimes if the game is a night game, they spend the night.

I'm off to get dressed and outside for my usual walk in the neighborhood.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.  Marilyn, I hope all is going well with your foot surgery.

Sue

Marilyn

Good Morning buddies, I tried to get on from my phone but couldn't remember my password and didn't want to change it. I had some weird pain during the night, it felt like the nerves were burning  little paths around on the top of my foot and the  elastic bandage feels like it might be too tight on my ankle, the Ankle bone is well padded but has hurt from the  time I left the surgery. I called the emergency number for the dr. at 8am but had to leave a message. I hope he gets back to me as I really don't want to go through an other night like last night. I am walking on  it just a little now and then. Keith isn't much help although he tries, He just can't seem to follow instructions when I tell him where something is located or even the light switch for the kitchen. He has taken to wearing gloves all the time and I have to tell him to take them off when he eats or has to take his pills. Oh what fun it is taking care of someone with dementia NOT!!!. It gets so frustrating and I end up exasperated and yelling at him or trying to do things  myself.

jane

Mary...it sounds as if you have Iowa temps.  You'll get warmer...but we won't. Bummer. 

Sue...enjoy your walk

Sharon...good to have a clean car.  Mine was a mess after the snow and slush, so I got it washed in Dbq on Friday, but just the outside.  I slept in this morning, too. Guess the time in Dbq wore me out yesterday. 

Marilyn...hope Doc calls you back with advice on the pain.

Alpiner...are you near the fires?  Do you want me to email you as I do the other Bosom Buddies I have email addresses for when the site goes down?  If so, please email me at janeiowa@gmail.com 

Darlene...hope all is fine in your part of Tx. 

Jeanne...stay warm.  Winter has arrived, I guess.

Shirley...hope all is good in Wichita, too.  I know you really get snow and ice, come winter.

It's in low 30s and windy and overcast here.  I tried to walk this morning, but I'd forgotten a scarf...had my parka, hat and gloves, but got cold, so didn't last long on the walk. 

Back to laundry. 
 :P

jane

Cottoncandy

Good morning Buddies....we are having warmer weather now...was 38 this morning but will warm up to 70,s..till the next cold front...Marlyin..curious if u got my text when I was unable to get to SF....haven't read all post so will.grab another cup of coffee and get ready for church......Have a great day

SharonE

With John gone, I messed up and forgot to change my clocks. Did go to church, but noone there. Bummer.

Stopped to pickd up an acorn squash to go with a ham slice for dinner.  John won't be home till 7 or 8.

I can't do laundry because I want to get all of his in

I'm really hurting today and had to force myself to get ready for church. Boy was I disgusted when I realized I had forgotten to change the time.  Nothing planned for today now. 

Marilyn I hope the dr. calls back and does something to help.

All the snow sounds miserable in the midwest. It's pretty cold here too.  Hi to everyone. Have a blessed Sunday.  Sharon

Marilyn

Darlene I did get the text. Sorry I didn't answer.

Sharon, yes he did call me back. I loosened the outside wrap so my ankle doesn't hurt anymore.

JeanneP

It is not to bad here at the moment. Still cold but snow gone and no rain. I did manage to do some good cleaning out couple of last bad 3 day. Lots of tech stuff sitting on porch to take to Salt and light. They take phones and others things. Now Computers or TVs though.I have taken so much stuff to them past weeks. Still closets seem full.      Will keep at it. Stop buying now.
Got all winter coats out. Have scarves and hats for each colour and so got those all washed. Now need to go out to library and none of the hats are dry. They hanging in BR. Most are Knitted so takes awhile. One I love was sent in the Exchange we use to have in Seniornet Knitting group. Not sure but I believe this one came from Pat. I think I exchanged a Tea Pot Cover I crochet with her.That use to be fun.
You could have had the bandage to tight Marilyne.That stops to blood flow. Glad he got back to you fast. I have seen that wearing gloves with people with problems like husband before. Wonder why they do it. Caring is hard but you have done it before with others so more patience. Some need more than others it seems. Just get help where you can.
JeanneP

jane

Sharon...bummer on the time goof up. The Good Lord knows you were there, though!

Marilyn...hope the looser bandage helped with the pain.

Darlene...you really are warming up.  The Winter Texans will be glad for those temps.

Jeanne...here, too, snow gone...until the next time.  I, too, moved some clothes around...with my closets getting most of Ray's things gone or ready for donation, I have some room to spread things out and put spring/summer things easier to get to and see.

It's warmer here today...40s ... but to rain and the joints have been shouting that since yesterday. 

Church today was a memorial service for those in the church who passed away this past year.  They had candles on the altar with the name of the passed one and they were listed in the Bulletin and each name was read aloud during the service.  After the service we could go to the front and the parish nurse and others were there to give us our candle.  Tomorrow night is a Community Memorial Service at the Hospital and one of my bridge people whose husband passed away several weeks ago is going to pick me up and we'll go together. 

I've been baking some Lithuanian "bacon buns" that I like to have in the freezer for a quick snack or supper. 

This recipe makes the dough, etc.  https://www.food.com/recipe/lithuanian-bacon-buns-89707

None of Ray's Lithuanian relatives do that anymore...use Rhodes dinner rolls...thawed in a warm over for a couple of hours and then filled and baked.  I guess that makes "Lazy Lithuanian Bacon Buns."   :2funny:  That suits this Welshwoman just fine.   :smitten:

jane

JeanneP

Jane
Did you do the ones from scratch? Sounds good but takes awhile. Have you tried with the Rhodes. I have used the Rhodes loaf bread. Need to put some in freezer for winter. Always a snow storm when out of bread and milk.stock up with can milk also.
Better head library forgot it will be gettin dark at 5pm today. Now 4:14
JeanneP

jane

Jeanne....nope, never done them from scratch.  I always use Rhodes dinner rolls. Like I said "Lazy Lithuanian Bacon Buns."   :2funny:

We've got the rain now that I knew was coming. I've brought down a couple of the bags of Ray's clothes that the nephew and wife went through, so I'll load those up tomorrow and take them to Good Will in CR. 

jane

SharonE

Hi Gals. John got his Ruby life master at the tournament, so he is happy. I suspect he will slow down on the bridge now. It requires another 1500 pts for the next level and at 81, that's unlikely. 

My cleaning girl was supposed to be here this AM, but didn't show. I called her and she said she had it down for tomorrow. Grrrr.

Our landscaper is supposed to come today also to replace some bushes that haven't done well.

You all are so energetic. Sure wish I were. There's plenty to do around here, but my back just won't let me.

Marilyn, I'm glad the doctor loosened the bandage on your ankle and relieved the pain.

Jane, I've never heard of Lithuanian Bacon Buns, but they sound good. Lazy or otherwise. I send old clothes to the kidney foundation for their thrift shop.

Jeanne, I need you here to help me clean out closets!! :)

We're in a cold spell, but no snow. Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  Today is trash day in my neighborhood and my trash guys were here early, so I have the cans back up into my driveway.  After that I had my morning walk.  It is a bit cooler here this morning, but a long sleeved tee shirt and a pullover sweat shirt made for comfortable walking.

I'm not comfortable with the time change and I need to fix the clocks, but haven't made a step in that direction yet.  I think I'd rather stay on Daylight Savings time year round.

It's cooler and dreary looking outside and I plan to read from the library books I picked up on Friday.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.

Sue

alpiner1

Its 83F at 3"00 p.m.  Hope this weather holds out for Thanksgiving !  One year on Thanksgiving we had the windows open & some ate on the front porch . Another year we had hail ! So who knows what we will have this year . I had a dr.'s appt. this morning , so far all is good .  Tomorrow I have a dental appt. , with a dinner meeting in the evening .  Then I get to rest for a few days . Church potluck on Friday . Then next week dermatologist appt; again , this time dr. will be going a bit deeper & will require stitches . On the same day is the general meeting & auction of the Model T Ford Club in the evening .  Next Friday evening is Norm's high school reunion & a Model T tour on next Saturday . There are so many meetings , etc, I have to keep checking the calendar !

jane

I did my drop off of about 10 bags of Ray's clothes at Good Will in Cedar Rapids and stopped in a couple stores to look for some heavier pants for winter.  Finally found one pair of black.  Everything seems to be black or gray this year.  I also stopped at Barnes and Noble for a calendar I like for my purse...covers Sept. 2019 through Dec. 2021.  So many of my appts are done a year in advance, so I like having a couple year calendar. 

I went to another Memorial Service tonight...the second in two days...and I think about all I can take now. 

I saw the first local house with outside Christmas lights on and a lighted tree in the house. 

Jane