Random Image

bash

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cottoncandy

Good morning....cold wet day here today...so have a stew cooking in my crock pot...no walk today...lots of flu in our little community..praying I don't get it...Hi to Jane..Sue..Sharon..Mary..Marlyin..Jeanne and any others looking in....Have a great day...Darlene

Marilyn

Sherry it is  so disconcerting when you [ost a laughing emoji on a serious post.

SharonE

Marilyn, sometimes I hit like and it comes up with whatever the last emoji was. I'm sorry. Don't mean to be impolite.

My back is somewhat better, but I have to sponge bathe till Fri. No showers or shampoos. I just called my beautician to see if she can shampoo and cut my hair. She didn't do a very good job last time and it is really long.

Yesterday, I found out I have another UTI and had to go 10 miles to the pharmacy to get the penicillin.  My pharmacy didn't have it. I also mailed a gift to Melanie at UPS and got an estimate for a big pic that I wanted to send to Scottie that he wants, but it was $250, so it will have to wait till someone comes with a car to take it. The traffic was bumper to bumper for most of the 10 miles home.

It's supposed to rain today and tomorrow but hasn't so far. Also supposed to get cold.  Tomorrow I have the Christmas bridge game and luncheon and then afterward have my MRI & xray.  Thurs is my cardiologist's appt. and Fri, I get my staples out. Then not too many appts till my surgery.

Jane, I have never seen that DVD or show. I'll have to look for it.

I hope you all enjoy reading and watching TV today.

JeanneP

I think that maybe got scammed on Internet order. Made it three weeks ago. And was saying deliver in 5 to 7 days. Just got my bank statement and the charge shows on there in Nov. Shows company in Copanhagen,Denmark as shipper. I tried contact last week and got a tracking number . Nothing shows shipping.
 I will just call my bank Credit card tomorrow see if the can trace anything. Just to many small companies selling now on line. I don't mind Amazon and big places. This one I never heard before.
JeanneP

jane

Darlene...stay warm...sounds like cold coming your way, too.

Sue...it's nice you and Tim will be together for Christmas.

Sharon...yikes..quite a price tag for the picture...I, too, would wait for someone going that way or he can pick up.  I hope all your med appts go well and you can get a rest from that.

Jeanne...hope you can track down that order....notify your credit card company you haven't received the product and cannot track down the shipping.

Marilyn...hope your feet are continuing to heal.

I couldn't figure out how to get my DVD player connected to the tv to work, so I ordered a portable one from Amazon.  That'll work better for me.  I can take it upstairs, etc. 

Another cold day here...and I had a dentist appt...routine cleaning, etc.  $236 later they were clean, checked out ok, and had fluoride for my sensitivity and I'm good until June.  Nope, I don't have dental insurance...but today they gave me a 3% discount for paying it in full...even on a credit card. 

Nancy, the Parish Nurse, called me and asked if she could bring lunch at noon.  She brought Subway sandwiches for us and asked how I was getting along.  It was very kind of her.  The other night 4 carolers from the church came by.  I invited them in ...too cold to stand outside.

Tomorrow is bridge, and I look forward to that.

Jane

maryz

We got the cold weather today, too.  We had snow showers, with bits of accumulation, but very little, and I think it's all gone by now.  The weather reporters get all excited when we get a flake or two - it happens so seldom.

We went to Chattanooga yesterday.  I got a Holter monitor put on at the cardiology office, and we finished moving my stuff out of the Terrace apartment.  I turned in my keys and am officially moved out.  When we got back, we found that Margaret's young great Dane had been hit by a car - not killed, but injured.  She got a neighbor to help get him in her truck and took him to the vet.  He has a dislocated hip and cuts and scrapes.  She brought him back home today, and is hoping for the best.  He's a sweet dog and we'd hate to lose him - just hope he survives this and it teaches him to stay out of the road.

Jeanne, I hope you can get some information and satisfaction with your order.

Sharon, I know you'll be glad to get your doctor appointments over with and just enjoy the holidays.

Darlene, I agree with you - I hope we can all avoid the flu this year - and all years.  Did we all get our flu shots?

jane, stay warm.  It's great of your friends to check in with you over the holidays.  Hope you get some good cards tomorrow.

And let's all stay warm!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Mary...hope the Holter shows no problems and I'm sorry to hear of the pup's injuries. I hope he heals ok.
Would you please email me your new address.

14 above this morning, but Patricia texted me it was -15 in northern Wisconsin.  That's dang Chilly!! :2funny:

I took my paperwork to my investment gal/CPA to look over and she said they'd fax it for me and keep the originals in my folder, so that's good and that the IRA from my days working at the Univ. of Iowa had rolled over.  FINALLY, the paperwork is finished.  She said companies like to drag their feet on people wanting to rollover things.  No joke!

I'm off to bridge in a bit and looking forward to those couple of hours of laughter and just thinking about cards.

Nothing else new or exciting here...which is a good thing, I think.

jane

maryz

Will do, jane.

We wound up getting about an inch of snow yesterday, and it was 26 when I woke up this morning.  I didn't notice the snow until I turned off the lights last night.  The moon is just off being full (I think), and that light really showed up the snow on the ground.  Margaret's house is set in a lot of trees, so the snow looked very pretty.  This morning (just after 11 a.m. central time), it's mostly gone.

The dog was doing okay this morning.  He's recuperating in the garage (separate from the house), so I won't see him until he's able to be out and about.  Margaret is going to be gone all day today - a church meeting through lunchtime, and then she's going to the Lady Vols game in Knoxville.  She's left me in charge of the house and the inside cat - definitely dangerous.

Happy Wednesday, Buddies!  Stay warm.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Hi Gals, I just got back from our Christmas bridge/luncheon. My cards were not the best and I came in in the middle. Our hostess had a medical problem and called to cancel first thing and we couldn't find a sub, so we got by by having the dummy at one table fill in in the other. Not the best, but it worked.

It is really cold (43)and snow in the mountains. It was really cold in the bridge room too. I never even took my jacket off!

I'm leaving in less than an hour for my MRI.

Jane, I'm glad people are staying in touch with you. Hope you have good cards. Also glad all the paper work is done.

Mary, thank you for the address.  I am so sorry about Margaret's dog. I do hope he heals quickly.  Naturally, I'm hoping the Holter monitor doesn't show anything untoward.  I see my cardiologist tomorrow. I'm hoping he can tell me why I'm so tired all the time.

Jeanne, call your credit card co and file a fraud form. They will refund it.

Sue, I, too, am glad you and Time will have Christmas dinner together.

I hope none of us get the flu! I got my shot in Sept & John in Oct.

Stay warm everyone and be careful if the roads get bad.   Sharon

Marilyn

I posted here this morning and now it is not here. I took Freckles to the groomer for her monthly spiffing up and she will be ready for our visit on Friday and for the cancer center on Tuesday. We visit in the waiting room and the Chemo room. They love her there.

I am crocheting a Cloche hat for myself and last night I ripped out the first 10 rows I had done when it was obvious that I was crocheting too tight. So I am switching to a K hook and will crochet a bit looser. This chunky yarn is hard to work with, this is the first time I have used the chunky.

I have some Magic Bars  cooking in the  toaster oven for the Furry Friends Christmas party on Saturday. After they are done, cut and on a plate I will put them in the cake carrier and stash them in the car so I don't eat them. Last time I made them I ate about a third of them before  I got them put away.

maryz

Sharon, hope all went well with your MRI.  I know you'll enjoy your shower when you finally get one.

Marilyn, your fur babies are well spoiled - home-made cookies.  I just finished a hat, too - it's for Darby's (my granddaughter-in-law) vet for Xmas, and I'm working on a scarf for her now.

Margaret called before the ballgame started.  She had gotten a call from Morning Pointe (the assisted living place) and they have a studio apartment that will be available in a couple of weeks.  We're going to go check it out tomorrow, but I'll probably take it, and move in.  That'll mean I'm further up the list for a one-bedroom when one becomes available.  Or I can stay in the studio if I decide I like it. This is the web site for the facility

https://morningpointe.com/locations/tullahoma-assisted-living/

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  I played bridge yesterday at the Moores Mill Club with other bridge club members.  We had lunch prior to playing and it was pretty good.  I had so so cards so didn't win any money, but enjoyed the company.  My friend, Terri, picked me up and brought me home.  About 6:00 our hostess stopped by my house to tell me I'd brought the wrong glasses home--she will take them to the rightful owner today or tomorrow.  I must have also picked up the other hostesses sun glasses as her friend was missing hers.  At least I was able to check my purse and I did, indeed, have her friend's sunglasses.

It's much colder here in Auburn this morning.  I've had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, but that's as far as I've managed to get this morning.  I need to get dressed and outside for my morning walk.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.

Sue

jane

Mary...that looks like a lovely place.

Sue... oops on the sunglasses.

Sharon...hope MRI goes just fine.  We do that dummy plays empty seat when there are 7.  It works out fine.

Marilyn...I need to try to get back to knitting. I haven't for over a year, but maybe I'll get back to it this winter here.

Hi to Darlene, Jeanne, Shirley

Gloomy day here, but a bit warmer.  The trash collectors decided, I guess, to play a trick on us.  They came very early this morning...usually do our side of the street about 11:30 and the east side early.
 From the looks of things, a lot of us missed the trash men today.  Next week and after I'll start putting my stuff out Wednesday night.  I used to do that, but then it could get blown about and wet...but that'll be their problem.   ;D

I'd planned for a quiet day here...I'm providing dessert tomorrow night for our Friday group and Don and Sam are coming in Friday night until Sunday and will do some chores for me...change batteries in smoke alarms, etc.

Gary and Kathy are going out for lunch and invited me along, so I'll need to get dressed, but it'll be nice to get out a bit today.

jane

alpiner1

I had a mammogram appt. with a follow up appt. with my cancer surgeon . The dr. has been watching a spot so I also had an ultra sound . The spot was a benign cyst .  All is well so I'm good until the next round in July .  I had a bad back ache from laying on the ultra sound bed with my arm over my head for quite a long time .  I kept hearing a beep & all kinds of bad thoughts were bothering me . I asked her & she said it was each time she took a picture . I was so relieved !!
I have scoliosis so that was why my back hurt afterward  .

maryz

alpiner, hooray for the good mammogram report!  I hate that having to lie flat on the hard table.  I always ask for a pillow to put under my knees.

jane, sorry you missed the trash pickup - I hated it when that happened.

Sue, glad you had a good time with your lunch buddies.

We went to check out the apartment, and I agreed to take it.  We're aiming to move right after the first of the year.  And being in a studio gives me first pick when a one-bedroom becomes available. So onward for the next part of my life.

SharonE

Mary, you've had a lot of changes in the past couple or so years. The place looks nice and I hope you like it. We're still humming and hawing, but can't do anything till after my knee is done anyway. The MRI was fine although the metal bed is uncomfortable even with the pillow under my knees.  The heart dr. said I was good to go for the surgery. Both heart and lungs sounded good & the EKG was good.  I made several stops on the way home, so I am really tired. I'm looking forward to getting those staples out tomorrow.

Jane, I'm surprised you haven't been knitting this past year, but I guess with Ray so sick, you didn't have time. You'll have to get back together with your knit buddies in town.

Alpiner, so glad your mamm results were good. We always stress over those.

Sue, it sounds like you had a nice bridge luncheon, in spite of the glasses you picked up.

Oh, I got my hair cut this AM pretty short and made another appt with one of the other beauticians for just before my surgery. My beautician will be out of town.  That way, I won't be horribly long after surgery when I get home from rehab.  More tomorrow.  Sharon

alpiner1

At my mammogram appt. I commented that I had taken hormone therapy when I was in my 30's & I was  told it was responsible for my breast cancer . The technician agreed & said that is probably why I still look young & my hair hasn't turned gray . I told her I am 80 & her mouth flew open !

SharonE

Alpiner, I took Premarin also when I was going through menopause and I also blame it for the cancer. I also look young and have smooth skin but attributed it to my mother's genes.  Who knows.

I slept 11 hours last night. I was so exhausted. Staples out this afternoon.  Got my new color cartridge for my printer while I was out and so plan to work on that before and after the staple removal. John will collate and fold the letters and stuff them, but I still haven't gotten my labels run yet. Hope it works. The program is on another computer that doesn't always behave.

Marilyn, are the cookies for the dogs or the owners. I assumed the latter, but do know you cook for Freckles. I bet she looks pretty. I had Bunny groomed before TG but probably will use some dry shampoo before Christmas.  Hope your hat turns out well. The lady who tried to teach me to crochet said that I did it way too tight and wasn't very patient in showing me how to redo it. I know you have lots of experience in crochet tho and I didn't.  I hope your Furry Friends party went well.

It was an icy rain when I got up and supposed to last all day, but it seems to have quit and is just gloomy.

Hi to Jane, Darlene, Mary, Shirley, Sue and all I haven't mentioned today.  Sharon

angelface555

A new quiz is available for those so inclined. Please join us;

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=165898

Marilyn

Sharron they aren't really cookies, more like candy. Yes for  trhe humans at the Furry Friends Christmas Party tomorrow.

JeanneP

Well the item I ordered looks like it is heading for Houston.to be dilivered tomorrow. The co.in Amsterdamn sent me a tracking . It started out in China. Then another place. Shows  in customs in Chicago then headed to Texas. It is  so crazy how things are coming from now even though ordered in U.S. Last time I orders thing else.

Even gor messed up by Amazon last week. I ordered something that I have used for years and my GD husband picks it up for me on one of his monthly trips to London. I t showed up on Amazon so I ordered from them. Said take two days. It took  3 and I got the charge on my bank stmt. it was mailed from England same day I put order in. Sent to me fast mailing costing over twice what the item was. Known as 3 party buying Amazon told me when I called them to complain .just have to watch them now.

This online shopping is going to get in a real mess one of these days.

My car is showing tyres low on dash. I was out running around but so cold I wanted to just get home. Will try tomorrow . They are saying 5 inch. Snow Sunday night. Going to try and put big cover I bought over car before comes.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  I slept later this morning and although I'm dressed I haven't accomplished much this morning.  I am planning a "chilly" walk this morning when I'm finished posting here.  I'll wear my heavier "puffy" jacket for the walk, plus a knit hat and gloves.

I had a delivery of See's chocolates this morning from Bill's family.  A beautiful Christmas wreath arrived from them yesterday.  I'm not going to open the chocolates until Tim comes over for Christmas morning with me.  Kris and her mother, Arden, are going to Ohio to have Christmas with her brothers' families up there.  Tim helped me get out my Christmas tree on Tuesday and I have put one layer of my many ornaments on the tree.  We'll have our Christmas dinner either here or at his home.  I don't plan to put anything more on the tree. 

I hope Every Buddy is well and has plans for family and/or friends for Christmas Day.

Sue

Shirley

Not sure when I posted last, been a long 6+ weeks since I blew my knew and then whatever this other mess is with my head, neck and upper body. The whole mess has taken over my life (and I think y'all know what I mean) to the point I don't have any other life but climbing out of this pain and moving on. Today has been the first time I even have hope of a more normal life so will let it go at that. When asked what number on a scale was the pain with the knee I cracked that "I've had 3 kids & open heart surgery and the knee was right up there at the top!" Well, the head pain was double that and at times so bad I could hardly breathe.... but scariest part was not knowing what caused it and if it was fixable. So, PT several days next week, a 2nd round of augmentin and daylight ahead, at least at this moment! Still don't know cause but guessing a massive infection and the stiff neck & shoulders probably from gritting my teeth/clinching jaw to walk & get that knee to work like it should. I was shocked when the doctor said "not curable".... but 6 week check he was impressed with movement & said always surgery if pain is not tolerable. So that's my story. I had made plans that included having the cats put to sleep if I had to go into the hospital so am certainly giving a sigh of relief that today it isn't necessary.

Mary, sorry to read that Margaret's pup was injured. My youngest son has had 2 Great Danes (rescues) and looking for another.  He was accepted by a rescue place in Colorado and debating whether to give an older Dane some good years or go with a pup. He and his significant other and their neighbor that walked the others every day, don't want anything but a Dane. I don't offer to baby sit those elephants, the house has to be designed for them! Son is lucky to have a retired guy living next door that delights in sharing the dogs, has a key to the house and totally dependable & reliable.

Want to tell you all that I am impressed with how calmly each of you handle some very difficult life situations, I always feel better after checking in here. My daughter was telling me this week that a friend of hers was diagnosed with breast cancer and what she is going through, so I told her about you girls and the support you are to each other. I hope her friend finds a group to share with, just the word makes me shiver.

Sitting here thinking of each of you and noticed it is getting late and I get up about 5:00 am to feed cats and myself a bite before leaving the house at 7:00 for church. After church any of the family (usually son & wife, my oldest gr-son,wife & 3 little kids) go the McDonald's where I buy breakfast for anyone that goes to church with me". Nice time to visit, eat & I don't have to clean up the table when everyone goes home! My kids and grands are all over the world all the time so lots of times conversations include some of them on their cell phones. And that's my world. Thanks for letting me be part of your group.  Shirley

maryz

Sorry things have been so painful for you, Shirley.  But I'm glad you're feeling better now. I hope all continues to improve.  Total knee replacement is no fun, of course, but for most folks the results are worth it.  I've not had any issues with mine since having it done.

I don't guess I told y'all - the great Dane didn't make it.  Margaret found her dead Friday morning when she went to check on her.  He was less than a year old and she had gotten him from a friend.
 But she'd been looking for a great Dane - told her vet she was always interested in getting one.
 He was huge (as you know), but just a real sweetie.  BTW, this is a multi-pet, rescue household.
 She has an inside-the-house cat, but all the others are outside animals.  She lives in the country, with a detached garage/workshop/greenhouse and shed.  There are animals just discarded in the area all the time, so if a dog gets along with her current menagerie, it will be allowed to stay and taken to the vet for shots, etc.  Right now, the senior dog is a chihuahua mix, and there's a black lab mix.  Plus she has a "garage" cat to take care of any mice in the garage.  Who knows what will show up next.

Happy Sunday,  Buddies!

SharonE

Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about Margaret's great dane. It's so upsetting to lose a pet.

And Shirley, you sure have had a bad time lately. I'm glad you're feeling some better.  As you know, I'm having knee surgery right after Christmas. It's the 2nd one, so I hope to be a lot better afterwards.

I got my staples out Friday. But the places where they were itch and I can't scratch them. Grrr.

I tried to finish my Christmas letter, but the 3rd page which was pictures of the great grands disappeared  and my printer won't print right. I got a new cartridge and it printed 14 pages that were awful and came up with a message that I was low on ink.  Back to Office Depot to return said cartridge and complain.  The store is clear in Pineville and I wasn't planning to go there again. So my letter is going to be only 2 pages and none of the greats. Then I couldn't find the charge cord for the little computer that has my label program on it. So we're going to have to write them! Horrors with my handwriting.

We have pretty much made the decision to move to the Independent Living as soon as we can get rid of things and pack things up after my knee. John already has his den finished and gave me about 5 boxes of pictures and mementos to go through. I spent a lot of time going down memory lane yesterday looking at a box of things Mom had saved.  Many of them, I put back in the box for the kids to look at and then do whatever with them.  I just can't throw things out.

I need to go get ready for church.  Shirley,  How nice you have family nearby to go to church and McDonald's with you. Mine are all scattered.     Have a blessed Sunday everyone.  Sharon

maryz

Glad you've gotten the staples out, Sharon.  Margaret gave her Xmas letter to Staples to have it printed there - the price was worth it to her.  Sorry yours has been so frustrating.  Glad you and John have made (almost) the decision about moving.  I've always found that once decisions are made, the tension level is SO much lower.  Good luck with it.  And I did the giving-to-kids-to-deal-with a good way to handle it.  Sometimes it'll surprise you what they want to keep and what they don't.  Good luck.

SharonE

Mary, I suspect you are right about the kids.  John has an eye appt on Tues and that will determine what we do. He has glaucoma in his good eye and it is in crisis mode.  At least according to him. He tends to see the glass half full, so we'll see. I'm going with him to the appt.

The cantata was great at church today.  Now, I have to go write addresses on the Christmas letters.  Sharon

jane

I've caught up on reading every post since I was here last.

Alpiner....I,too have had cysts...surgeon aspirated one a couple times and then said time to surgically get rid of it. 

Sharon...glad the staple is out and future plans made.

Shirley...if neck and shoulder stiffness and pain continues, ask about a SED check to make sure it's not PMR. Polymyalgia rheumatica.

Mary....glad a place opened up that gives you option to upgrade. 

Sue...enjoy your time with Tim .

I hope Darlene is ok.

Jeanne..  I always see the shipping charges on my  Amazon order before I buy.  They always show  as well the estimated tax.  I think almost everything can come from elsewhere, esp., if you're aware you're ordering from a Dutch or U.K. site. 

Marilyn....it sounds as if you're back to normal...in time for trip to CA and then other foot surgery.

Nephew and his younger son were here for the weekend.  They went through Ray's remaining winter clothes...lots of sweaters and took a big bag with them for Sam or some of his computer geek friends.  Whatever is left, they'll see gets taken to a vets donation place or Goodwill.  They still have short sleeve shirts, etc. to go through. 

They also put new batteries in my smoke alarms and put down a mat for me along the edge of my garage.  That concrete floor is so slippery when you walk on it with water or snow on your shoes.  Now I have a mat to walk on and don't have to worry about falling.

They left about 10:00 for the 4-5 hour drive to Mpls to drop Sam off and then Don has 1.5 hour trip on to Wisc.  It was 5 here this morning and -12 up there.  Winter is here!😨

Jane

JeanneP

It is just to cold. Dreary out okay. I need to get my tyres looked at before putting many more miles on it. Needs to go out to Nissen. They say 4 to5 inch. Snow coming but I hope I. Can get out ther before that. Then I will put cover over car.now wish I still had my old car. For the winter.

I need to go out and move garbage to the end of drive soon. For 20 years it was picked up Monday's at 11 am now the come at 7 am. I missed them twice and had to have it picked up another Co. Truck.
Half the street got messed up.

Mary. Will you have D moved by the holidays?. I don't think I would like being out in country, special with all those animals. Sorry to hear about he dog passing. We had one like that growing up. We little ones could ride on it. Was very gentle dog though.
JeanneP

Cottoncandy

Im Ok......busy with Christmas stuff...........Darlene