Random Image

Cliff, Kelly, Fe

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:02:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharonE

Jane, I think getting a haircut is exciting! Like Mary, I haven't had one since May 28. I've trimmed a little off, but it is getting shaggy. Like Bunny! We were supposed to have her groomed Wed, but after she got sick Tues, we cancelled. Decided she had had enough trauma. So need to reschedule.

PT coming shortly. Ugh. He doesn't hurt me but some of the exercises cause my back to hurt later.

We actually had a night without a storm last night.

Mary, I'm sure you are glad to be resettled in your own place and organized again. Nice that you only have to be isolated for a week.

Jane, it sounds like Netflix is pretty much like my Hallmark and not worth the extra expense, but appreciate the info. My girls watch it, but their taste in films is quite different than mine. I end up watching a lot of HGTV, but that gets boring after a while. I particularly like GOOD BONES which is set in Indianapolis. Nice to see the old familiar places.

Mary, there's Bingo tomorrow but I haven't signed up for it yet. It's fun for a while and then not.

That's all the news here. May mop floors this afternoon, but that's it.  Sharon

Marilyn

Hi everyone,  Jeanne all those places you mentioned are closed  for the time being. I already tried to get Medicaid and  we have  a little bit too much in come plus Keith has some stocks in his IRA that we haven't cash in yet.I am seriously thinking about cashing  them in and closing the savings account, getting a lo k box and keep all the $$ at home. However, still with his SS and  mine added together we are just over the allowed amount of in come. If he was to go into a nursing home I would have to sell the house to pay for his care. The homes charge $4000.00 per month.

jane

Marilyn...I don't know whose name your house is in, but I'm sure you'll get good legal advice BEFORE you sell. 

I made a trip to CR today to get to a Verizon store.  Seemed very dark inside, but two women were standing outside waiting to get in....instructions on door to wait for assistance.  One woman said she saw people moving around inside.  I looked through the door and say nobody...just a moving screen. I went back of my car and left. Later learned place was CLOSED.  It's too much trouble to put a CLOSED sign on the door?  Only open store was on the other side of town. I'll live with my cracked screen. 

Hot here and glad to be back home. 

jane

JeanneP

Marilyn. So true it hard to deal in person with any for the Senior advice around here . Can't get in side anyway. All done on phone or Internet.
Like you I never can get in anything . all seems to be working with Medicaid. My Daughter was a Administrator for 35 years and its amazing what is available for them which in some cases fine but boy do some families know how to work the systems for3 generations.
But has we have time and not paid the Auto Sticker for this year. Now its extended until Oct. Mine was July 31st.
On the sticker.  learned that retired seniors can maybe get a discount for next 2 years. Was 54 dollars for years but now $159. But if you get them to work on the form for you on phne and you can pass the income it cost 29 dollars.
Well they called me back to day. Lots of questions . I thought would be waste of time. They work with the 2019 tax year. Now I have a IRA annuity and have to take a minimum Distribution. (After 71 and thats me for years). Now that min amount is Taxable. But it and a little interest from bank is all I show a income. So nothing like the $ think is $29 thousand. Not sure because I don't show that much. Now SS for me is Good but that does not count on this discount as Income as we all know. She came up with a figure of All together and then I said I doubt I could get it but she said no. I think all you have to send me is the tax form showing the Min. Income and a copy of your SS showing the figure even though that doesnt count. So next week I will send in copies of those. Nothing showing my IRA balance then looks like not over. So I will do that next week. Nothing to loose.
No that balance in your I RA should not be counted on any of the state forms as income as it is something that other than the min Dist amount yearly if would cost you a lot to take it all out. even on Stock or anything have to pay tax on full amount.mine are just in a IRA CD now. Long as its in there its not taxable income other than if you take yearly interest on it and goes into your Bank acct.
This a little long but if I can save the $125 plus on the sticker I am going to try. We pay enough for taxes in Illinois. I am learning a little while sitting here at home.
Going to work on my auto Insurance next week as I have only put 160 miles on my car past 3 months. This                   mess is going to go on for year. Don't have to renew my April date on my Drivers lic. until Oct. now saying. Even the police chief told me not to worry. Illinois now deferred until Oct. 1st and it my just go until 2021

I have file all of them. Just have good ins and drive good.
JeanneP

Marilyn

Jane the house is in  his name but with the POA as long as he is alive I can sell the house.

JeanneP

Marilyn
Don't think me nosie but  How about the sport car he loved. Now
 you need to get your name on the house. and all titles he has.
I know  women who had that deal and soon as he died his kids owned the house. Gave her a month to move as they had a buyer for it.She had to move so that is 3 now seen that happen to them.
 Kids can be vicious after parent dies. One only was living with him for 19 years. Died 2 months ago and they claimed the body of him right away. He had a burial spot but they said Cremation cheaper. Waiting for that done as backup here.Now glad they were living in the house that my friend owned.
He had 8 kids(I didn't know that) so that is a bunch of grabbers.

Sometimes you need only have been married a year. Changes can be made. You have been longer than that.
JeanneP

SharonE

Boy, was I a sleepyhead last night. I hadn't slept much Fri night, so fell asleep for about 2 hours on sofa. Watched a little--very little--TV and then went to bed about 10:30 thinking I wouldn't get to sleep, but I did until 9:00 this AM. I hate feeling so tired and hurting all the time.

Good information for all of us, Jeanne. And Jane, the lawyer is a must.

Nothing planned today and tomorrow we have appts to get our driver's license. I know we could put it off, but we need it to vote. Then we will have to get new NC plates.Dr. is supposed to stop by early to sign the application for a NC handicapped placard. Will get that at the same time.

My PT's 1.5 yr old spiked a fever of 103 Thurs, so couldn't come. They had to have him tested first. I pray he's okay.

No other news here. Stay home and stay safe. Sharon

jane

Sharon...how scary for the PT and his little one.

Heat advisory here for today and tomorrow and being cautioned to stay in AC, so that I shall do.  I guess I'll devote myself to interesting things....like laundry!!  ;D

We've had our first hospitalizations...sure not like Sue's area or Darlene's....but 4 for a start. 

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

Cottoncandy

Good morning...it is still humid and hot...hoping we get some rain from the storm on the coast.....virus hitting my county hard...jumped from 9 cases to 60....most from the nursing home here....everyone supposed to wear masks when out....which I have been doing....and staying home except to walk....Hi to everyone reading...be cool and safe

jane

Darlene...My county jumped to 75 and now 5 hospitalized.  Whew...coming faster and sicker, I guess.  Hidalgo and Starr Counties there on our news for their dire situations.  I know health care there is at a premium. 

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

maryz

sI have family in Hidalgo County, so am always worried to hear the news from there. Most counties in Tennessee are "bad", too, although not too many where I am. My facility has now put in a "wear a mask when you're out of your room or eating" rule. I have several masks (Jean made them for us to take home from the beach), so I'm okay when I'm allowed to leave my space.

I slept very well last night - in the bed and in the chair. Amazingly, I was last in the chair and was awakened when the RA brought my breakfast tray at 7:30 - a first for me!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Jane, lots sick or dying of Covid in our county. Really scary. We're ultra careful.

Doing laundry today also. Temp in the low 90's. Take care everyone, especially Darlene in TX. The reports from there are really awful.

Mary, just saw your post. I hope those in the TX county stay well. It sounds like your facility is careful. Ours is too. Just wish all this would go away! Sharon

JeanneP

Now they are scaring people saying how they have been trying to figure why US is now the worst country for the spreading. After testing some people mixed close together they are finding that maybe this virus being passed to fast is through A/C
( now most other countries do not use like we do. Such as UK. France, Germany and many of the countries that are cooler.

Doesn't get that hot like here. Not used in cars and most homes and some businesses don't even have it.) Most of Europe same other than the Med. areas.
They had 50 people in a room here in US, in a room running A?C and another  group without it in a building. in 9 days 35 with the A/C got the virus and none in the room without. Maybe that is one reason with the Senior Homes. they are having them stay in their rooms which A/c is on all the time. People now back working in businesses are in it 9 hours a day. All with A/C running.
So they say don't be in cars running A/C with other people in it. Roll down window if have to do that.
They just can't figure why we are getting it spreading so fast. Don't get 50 people hugging, coughing .sneezing on us so has to be in the air. One thing is they keep so much from the public because of panic  but they are really working on trying to figure out the WHY.

Now even talking about Sewerage and not to be using public Bathroom and not to flush before putting seat down and leaving room fast after washing hands.  This is getting like things they use to show in Scary movies years ago as things that could never happen.. We will learn a lot after this is over.
We were taught some things like this during the war in UK because of the Gas Bombs and  also we get the water from Reservoirs which go through good systems but the Germans were also known to be thinking of dropping things into the water and so we were boiling it for the first year and half along with wearing the gas Masks.

In the US people just have to listen and do what the scientist are saying and quit thinking that just nothing can happen here. Still arguing about the darn mask wearing and having big get together.

Now mad because they can't go to the Big Baseball games . Crazy. I think I am getting a little ticked of reading and seeing on news what people still want to do.  Will be with us for years this way...
JeanneP

SharonE

Jeanne, I agree with you that people just need to read and listen, something Americans don't like to do if it is contrary to their wants. Scares me to death. Good point about European countries not using AC as much.

I finished my laundry yesterday. John has folded his and I will do mine after lunch. I fixed myself a good breakfast today, listened to our church service and SS streaming, took the dog out and that's about it.

If it cools down this evening, I may get John to accompany me and Bunny to the lake. Too steep of a hill up and down for me to do on my own.

Stay safe. Sharon

jane

HOT< HOT<HOT and humid here, too.  I hope we get some rain and cool things down.

I agree with all on the masks, it getting worse before it gets better, and lots of unknowns in all of this. 

Hurricane Hanna sure hit the Tx coast...from Brownsville up to Corpus Christi...area where Ray and I wintered for many years.  I haven't seen specifically SPI, so need to look and see if I can find info on that area.  Those folks hit so hard with coronavirus, too. 

Stay safe and healthy,

jane 

JeanneP

yes jane. I have been hearing about how bad it still s in Texas. I thought about you always being down on Padra from
Oct to Feb. At least you would have left. before this kicked in.
My family are sticking close to home there.  The state opened every thing to early and they got to acting all o.k . so were out eating and back to normal. I think now  the are putting on mask and the whole thing.
 They were ready to head to Illinois in August just like the Connecticut ones were suppose to be here now but they cancelled. I'm glad about this. I will not go anywhere.

Now I do need to go store and library. Still 85 here today but feels better
JeanneP

SharonE

The temp dropped to 81 last evening so John, Bunny and I walked up to the lake. There were 9 ducks on the lake and Bunny really wanted to get at them, but she wouldn't have gone in the water.  Both she and I were pooped when we got home.

Melanie's all moved into her new house in FL, but of course doesn't have everything unpacked and put away. Still some stuff to bring from the house they lived in last year and then sell any other furniture. They have a pool at the new house, so they have a place to cool off. They are still getting bids on the roof and lanai covering.

I didn't feel very well last night. Don't know if it was food or what. I slept well though because I read till 12:15. I'm going to take it easy today. 

I think we have about 3,000 cases of Covid in our county and well over a hundred deaths, so we are hunkered down. I hope TX is not too damaged by the storm.

Marilyn, maybe you could talk to a probono lawyer and see if it would be better for you to sell the house now, although, I think that if one of a couple has to go on Medicaid and into a nursing home, the other one gets to keep the house till their death, but it might have to be in both names. Are your libraries open? Maybe you could find information there or on the internet. You need to protect yourself financially. Keith has the boys to provide for him, but you don't have much family financial support.  Just a thought. Don't want to tell you what to do.

Stay safe everyone.  Sharon

jane

I thought that I needed to go to CR today for new sheets...one of my King size ripped and I like to have two sets always.  Luckily, I checked Bed, Bath and Beyond for time they opened...and they're CLOSED until Aug. 2.  So, WalMart got my business this morning...only place in town with sheets...and I didn't have a 70 mile round trip to make.  They're in the wash now. 

It's still too hot for me out there to do any needed weeding.  They're just going to grow and I shall call them "Wildflowers."
 :tickedoff:  :2funny:
jane

maryz

All seemed to be going well here, but this afternoon my place went into total lockdown. All residents have to stay in their rooms, all the time, with the door closed. Haven't heard an explanation yet. Oh, well. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JeanneP

Seems to be spreading fast in ill. Now also.in town even the  coroner has gotten It. So maybe dead may still carry . Wanting now for some restaurants to close again. They may as well because thinking need to be 12 ft apart and no more than 25 people. So if they can't do curb side pickup are dine outside not worth opening. Last week it was raining 3 days at dinner time.even other countries are now wondering why us can't get it under control.
I say it is just because they don't want people telling them what to do
Watch the news out on the hand sanitizer so.
I made my own but I am out of glycerine to mix in .cant find any so just adding baby oil . Just use on hands mostly. Mix bleach or porixide in cleaning. No one been in house since early May so ok there
Just another darn robo call on phone and it's 7:30. Get about 6 a day. Crazy ignorant people.
JeanneP

jane

Mary...it sounds as if some staff have tested positive, maybe?

Jeanne...I'm afraid you're right...some of these adults sound like spoiled children..."You can't tell me what to do."
 Honestly, how big a sacrifice is it to protect yourself, your family, and others. 

It's gotten so dry here...rain missing us everyday, so I've got the sprinkler going and will do more of the flower beds tomorrow. 

Stay safe and healthy!

jane

junee

Aged Care places are showing up as worst places with this Viras. We were partially locked down and allowed one visitor but that has now changed. No visitors allowed and the staff all wear masks...not the inmates. I do not go to the dining room either.  The State , Victoria, next door to ours is really having a ghastly time but they did not close down as early as here.  Today it is raining again.
I was shocked to read the figures of deaths in Florida.
Jeanne think you are hibernating there.
Maryz glad you had a successful break away and I suppose news will leak out today, but hope no invasion where you are living now.
I would just like to go out once for a meal, Chinese preferably lol

maryz

Guess we'll find out something sometime - new orders sent from the main office.

junee, I'd love to have a good Chinese dinner, too, and some good Mexican food, too.  Oh, well, that'll happen sometime.

It's finally supposed to "cool off" this week - temps only in the 80s rather than in the high 90s.  Still the chances for spotty storms.  My family in the Rio Grande Valley has been without power for two days due to Hurricane Hanna, and had a tree down blocking their front door. But all are okay.

SharonE

Dr finally came by and signed my placard application this morning. We're leaving in about an hour to go to the DMV. Nothing else planned.

Nothing to add to the American attitudes on rules. Just stupid and dangerous.

Jane, like your wildflower comment.

Mary, that's scary. Hope you haven't been exposed.

Junee, this virus is everywhere, I guess.  Stay safe.

Better go grab something to eat before we go.  Sharon

jane

Oh, Mary, I'm sorry to hear of the conditions in Hidalgo County.  Being there with no power and so much damage has to be so hard for all those citizens.

Junee...it sounds as if things there are bad, too.  And, it doesn't sound as if things will get better anytime soon. 

It's still hot here (or I think so), but the humidity isn't as bad this week.  I have a lot of errands to run today, and I'm trying to get motivated. 

It looks as if construction work on my street is starting soon.  Awoke to large noises...seems they were unloading big pipes/culverts or whatever they're called  for apparently to go under the street. 

Stay safe and healthy,
jane

Marilyn

Hello Buddies. Mary, two friends and I are going for a Mexican lunch at a new place that opened about a month ago. Then tomorrow it is Coffee with a couple of church friends. I sure haven't been home much so tomorrow I am taking Keith along to have coffee with the two ladies from church. Oh He is going to just love that NOT! He will be so bored but at least I will  have him out and about. I've been stopping at the neighbors for wine almost every day and I don't get back home for a couple of hours, yesterday I bought the rest of the bottle home so he could have some wine too.  :smiley6600: . Freckles loves her and her little Pomeranian. In fact Freckles is going to stay there while I go to lunch today. I am always afraid that Keith won't watch her closley enough and  she might wander oof. She hasn't yet but there is always a first time.

jane

Marilyn....glad you can get out and away from the house for some "me" time!

The city is going to be tearing up the street in front of my house for these big sewer or whatever tiles.  My neighbor called to warn me.  It'll be tomorrow or Thursday for a 1/2 day we won't be able to get out --- or in.  Hmmmm...
Guess I'd better get my errands finished up today.

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

maryz

Our Executive Director came around this morning. Sounds like one of the home health people who came in yesterday or the day before tested positive and had gone to the hospital.  So we're in lockdown. Everybody in the building is going to be tested in a few days. I'm not worried for me - haven't had any contact with many folks since I got back last week. Time will tell.

SharonE

Mary, glad you don't think you were exposed. Stay in and stay safe. I see some of the ladies on the rockers in front of the main bldg with their masks pulled down below their chins. Now that's doing them a lot of good.
We're back from the DMV and so frustrated! There are 2 near each other. We got our driver's licenses changed, but you have to go to the other DMV for license plates and it was closed today!!!Grrrr.  So will have to call and try to get an appt next week and see when it's open. These places are clear on the other side of town, too.

Marilyn, glad you're getting out some.

Jane, that sounds like a mess to have your road closed for 2 days. What if there were an emergency.

We picked up about 3 days mail on the way home, so I've got a bunch of phone calls to make tomorrow with questions on the stupid communications.

Have a nice evening.  Sharon

jane

Mary...it makes sense that it was someone who comes in and out.  Glad you had no contact with her.

Sharon...no, not 2 days...just 3-4 hours one day.  They've started down the street, so I doubt they'll get to me this week, and I'll be away from Friday until next week when I go to WI with Patricia and Donal.  They seem to be doing the work before and after the driveways...so probably doing that first and then the actual driveways.

I was surprised to see a young man and woman walk into WalMart this morning without masks and were not stopped.

Some better news...the man who murdered my great nephew a year ago was caught.  The Detective called my niece Sunday night to let her know.  One problem...the only witness, we think, was K's girlfriend, who was killed last week in a car accident.
 The police did say they're also looking for a clerk who was working there that night, and I'm thinking they might have more surveillance film than they've shown...and what they've shown is very clear. 

jane