Random Image

Fe in her Mexican Dress

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFSue

Good morning, Mary and Every Buddy looking in.  Eddie came by to take me to the library, the bank, and then to Kroger.  I didn't need much from Kroger today, so we got in and out of there in a hurry.  He helped me bring my groceries in and after that he went home.  I had some chocolate chip cookies which I had left over from last week's Kroger visit, so I gave him most of them.

I'm rereading The Help which I first read when it came out several years ago.  I'd like to finish it this afternoon so that I can watch a Hallmark movie or two this evening.

Have a nice day Every Buddy!
Sue

jane

Marilyn...yikes on driving after dark in a city you don't know well.  I know I can't do that and I've had the GPS also give wrong directions.  I didn't realize you were taking Keith with you. I thought he was staying home with a friend you'd hired to stay with him.  It sounds as if you could use some "personal time" away from the house and K.

Mary...it sounds as if you Southern gals are getting drenched.  When will your new place be ready?  I took my knitting with me to Ohio, but left it in the car.  Maybe when the weather pressures--and my arthritis-- settle down, I can get back to it. 

Jeanne...hope you're getting over that cold.  I know you'll watch to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Sue...enjoy your reading.  It's the only thing that I can concentrate on lately. 

Sharon...hope dr. visit went ok and you're set for the surgery.

Darlene...you are so right about the holidays being hard now.

Alpiner...greetings to you.

I did get out and got a few groceries, picked up my prescription allergy spray and got my EE bonds redeemed for Dec. 
Also got the big suitcase emptied and will do laundry on the weekend. Now to catch up with my checking account bookkeeping in Quicken and I'll be in good shape for 2020!

jane

maryz

jane, just a note to answer your question.  I talked to Morning Pointe this morning, and I think it is going to work that we'll get me moved in next Friday and Saturday.  That is our tentative plan, if it all works out.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Mary, that sounds great. I know you will enjoy your own space again.

Jane, I hope the arthritis settles down so you can knit. You seemed to enjoy it a lot. I worried about you driving so far by yourself. Glad you home safely and unpacked!

Marilyn, that does sound like a nightmare experience. I wouldn't consider driving at night in a strange place. I'm sorry Keith has gone into another phase, an irritating one, but the disease changes rapidly. Do try to get out by yourself a little. Walmarts online sounds great.

Sue, sounds like life is normal there.

I went to the pain dr. just to have the places he removed the stimulator from to be sure it was all okay which it was. Then had to pick up a pre-op packet that I should have gotten a week ago but they hadn't sent it. Then I had to fill out 2 pages and fax it to the hospital. Couldn't do the pre-anathesia interview over the phone because they were too busy, so they are going to call me back next Mon aft after the Geeks leave.  Then a neighbor came over and I gave her my portable sewing machine and chatted a bit. In 15 mins, we are leaving for Rock Hill Olive Garden to have dinner with Situ, John's Chinese friend.  We almost forgot about it till I saw it on my calendar!  Way too much stuff going on around here.  Also rainy all day. Yuck.  I don't know if I missed anyone or not, but Hi to all.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Sharon and Every Buddy looking in.  It's dark and dreary here in Auburn this morning, but I am finally dressed with the kitchen cleaned up and will get a rain jacket on and outside for my morning walk.  I don't think it will rain until later in the day, but better safe than sorry!

Not much going on here today.  Eddie took me to the library and to Kroger yesterday so I am set with books and groceries to last through the week.  My plan for the rest of the day is to trim and wash my hair and read.

Jane, I'm glad you are safely home.  Take care and know we're all thinking of you.  As a widow since 2002, I know how tough that first year was.  It's so hard to lose your partner when you've had a long time happy marriage. 

I hope Every Buddy looking in is warm and comfortable if your weather is not pleasant.  Take care Every Buddy!

Sue

jane

Good first Saturday of 2020.  It's 27 here and we had snow yesterday, so it's still with us.  I need to get out and fill my bird feeder.  Little feathered ones will need some nourishment, I'm sure.

Easy aka Lazy day here.  Laundry and reading and watching sports on TV. 

Last night Kathy and I had planned to try a new pub here in town, but as I looked for a parking space, I say the big "fun bus" parked in front, so we decided two old ladies would go elsewhere.  🤪

We went to another place and then back to her house for a bit of Bailey's Irish Cream.  It tasted good on a cold, snowy night. 

My wonderful gas stove is going and I love looking at the fire without having to carry in and cleanup wood ashes and lug wood in. 

Jane

JeanneP

Lazy day for me also. Putting together some Broccoli soup. To last 2 days. Trying to get off the meds. Make me sleepy. Such a awful cough still.
I have The Dutch House book to start  on. Just give myself a couple of more days of resting.
Seems I get the aame sickness at same time every year. I try to stay away from people In busy places. Doesn't work. Still think the flu shot helps. Some people really sick in town. Specially children .

Now soup done I am feeling a little hungry. That's a good sign.

Started to snow a little but looks like it has blown over. Don't need that.

All have a restful weekend.
JeanneP

maryz

We had some lovely sunshine this morning, but it has clouded over, and the temperature has really dropped.  We're supposed to get some flurries this afternoon, too.  Fortunately, it rarely snows enough to stick.  Margaret has been out running errands all day, and I've stayed home - mostly on the computer and proving a comfy bed for Squeaky (the tabby cat).  She loves having me here because she knows she can sleep on me.  I like being with the cat, but I don't want to have one - just don't want to do the "tending to" that's involved.  Margaret's dogs (2) are outside dogs, and just as sweet and loving as the cat.

Jeanne, I hope you get better soon.

And let's hope that all of us stay well this winter.  The flu this year seems to be pretty bad.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Hi Gals. I didn't do much this AM, but this afternoon, John and I cleaned out the big linen closet in the master bath. It had all the medicines and toiletries in addition to the towels, etc. It looks so nice now. I had one bag of discards that were outdated and 1 bag of donations. I'm beat now. Going to go read my book.  I love my gas fireplace too. Jeanne, I hope you get well soon.  Mary, I'm not a cat lover, but my older daughter is. We've been somewhat overcast today, but no wet stuff. Got enough rain yesterday.  Sharon

jane

Temperature has been dropping here this afternoon, too.  Gloomy now and I'm glad I'm inside.  I haven't been out today, except to fill one birdfeeder and get the snow off another one. 

I did dig out my knitting bag and I've started a baby cap.  I like these because they're quick and easy to do and I can do different stitches for variety.  Big, bulky projects are beyond my attention focus these days.

jane

Marilyn

I have finally settle down to  do a little reading here and some posting.

I hit the floor running this morning, Shower, feed animals, clean littler boxes, fix breakfast, cook Freckles food for the next week. Take down the tree and get all that put away, find the plastic table cloth and bring the plants back to the living from from the family room. Do a load of laundry, take Freckles for a walk, go to grocery outlet and big lots. fold the laundry, take Freckles for another walk, Fix lunch, sit for a few minutes due to back pain. Another walk this time it is Freckles and Keith. Sitting here with a glass of wine. thinking about what to fix for dinner. I NEED A VACATION!!!!

maryz

Marilyn, I need a rest, just reading your post.  You DEFINITELY need a vacation!

jane, I'm finishing up a vest for my son-in-law, and then I need to get back to my baby knitting.  After all, those two little boys will get here all too soon. 

Shirley

I come to check on you girls every day but not much to say around here. Been a lousy couple months with knee & head problems but better so maybe I can talk without whining.  ;)   

Mary, I'm curious about your heart surgery, my cardiologist wants to replace the aortic valve replaced nearly 7 years ago but the last echo showed the tricuspid valve worse than aortic only the nurse told me "we don't do the tricuspid and hope by fixing the aortic it will let the tricuspid settle down". Not good enough in my mind, so when I read that your doctors replaced both at the same time my mind opened up. Question is, did they replace through the artery/vein or open chest?  My son sent a link to a new aortic valve being tested that lasts much longer than the pig (like he & I have) or mechanical. Wichita seems to be years behind in services so may have to go someplace else if I need to. Daughter lives in St.Louis & offered to have me stay there if I choose (their doctors come highly recommended). Son had his valve replaced because of infection in his body that his doctor didn't clear up for nearly 3 years & it ate his aortic valve away, he was close to death before another doctor sent him to the hospital. Anyway, only 58 so he is looking for longer term than the 6+ years of MY valve replacement. Sorry, girls, this is much too long but thought about e-mail but not sure Mary uses the address I have from many, many years ago. By the way, what "little boys" are you talking about, I've missed something, I think!

Marilyn, do hope you can get enough alone time to re-charge. The job you have is so frustrating and over whelming. I've watched my brother deal with his wife and daughter-in-law dealing with her mother, and so many friends facing the never ending days of coping. Always searching for any new shred of hope for help. Hugs to you.

Wishing all a better 2020, somehow it just sounds more positive to me!

SharonE

Hi Gals. Shirley, it sounds as if you have some serious problems and your son as well. My prayers are with you.

I skipped church today. I was just too tired and stressed and wanted to rest up for the surgery Tues. I felt bad about it though.

Marilyn, you exhaust me! Your foot must be a lot better.

Jane and Mary, I'm sure the babies like the hats you knit.

About 47 here, but sunny. Not cold in the northern perspectives, but it is to me.

I'm going to pack my bag for the hospital and rehab this afternoon.
And rest.  Sharon

maryz

Shirley, I had open heart/chest surgery.  They replaced the mitral and the aortic valves with bovine tissue ones.  The surgeon told me that one of the valves (atrial?) could be replaced through an artery, but not both of them.  He said that such a procedure had been developed, but had not been approved yet by the FDA.  In any case, I have a foot-long incision down the middle of my chest, but everything seemed to heal very quickly, with very little pain.  I had the surgery on a Monday, left the hospital on Friday for our rehab hospital, and was there for another two + weeks (surgery on 9 Sept, home from rehab on 2 Oct).  After an initial period of not eating or drinking properly, my daughter took charge.  And the decision was made for me to move nearer her.  Within a week or so, I felt better, with more strength, than I had in probably 6-8 months.  Plus the problems I had with breathing that I thought was due to COPD seems to have stopped completely.  I know that no two people ever react the same, but at least in my case, this surgery seems to have gone very well.  BTW - my e-mail is  maryzelle4 @ gmail.com (without the spaces, of course).

Re access to medical stuff, for a small city, Chattanooga has some great medical facilities, even with Atlanta and Nashville each only two hours away.

Re babies - both of Margaret's boys & wives are pregnant - one in April, one in May, and both are boys.  First grands and first great-grands!

Sharon, we'll be waiting for news of how you did with the surgery.

Marilyn

Sherry My foot is better but all that activity yesterday  sure was not good once I stopped.  My foot is usually painful  in the evening once I settle down.

Went to church this morning finally started to wind down/slow down.                                                                                   I have decided that this is the year for me to slow down my life(I will be 80 next month) Not walk as fast do so many things. Yesterday was the straw. I;ve only signed up for 4 visits this month and next month I will only make it to the 3 that I always do. The cancer center twice and one of the independent living facilities.  I am running for Vice President of Furry Friends so if I win my assignment will be to  get a speaker for each month to cme talk to us at out monthly meeting. (piece of cake).

maryz

Marilyn, good luck with your election.  Be sure to let us know.

SCFSue

Good morning Every Buddy looking in today!  It's a bright sunny day here in Auburn, but pretty chilly.  I can hear my furnace running and know my gas bill will be high again this month.  Gas is my only option for heat--and the Alabama Power Company has raised the price several times this year.  I try to keep the heat lowered and always wear sweaters or sweat shirts with my jeans and other pants.  I still have heavy jackets from our 2 lengthy tours in Brunswick, Maine.  I am just delighted, though, that I don't have to go out into my driveway and shovel snow every morning!

Monday morning is our trash pick up day.  I heard the trucks on my street just a bit ago, but I can see that they haven't reached my house.  I'm planning my usual morning walk and hope at least one of the containers will be empty by the time I have walked.

I do want to mention that after Bob died I stayed at the farm several years before I had a good offer for it.  We had planned to move up to Auburn when we weren't able to take care of all our vegetable plantings (Bob started planting cabbage in January which I had to help preserve while teaching school--same with tomatoes.  I'd get home from school in May and he'd have the tomatoes washed and ready for the canner.  Never mind that I had to be compiling grades, end of year tasks, etc.!)  I learned to multi-task rather quickly!

Marilyn, I'm glad to see that you are running for VP of Furry Friends and your chores will be lighter.  I think you'll be relieved to stay on the sidelines somewhat and can rest a bit more each day.  I also hope Keith will be easier to deal with.  I've been praying for some relief there for you.  Keep us posted.

Mary, Thanks for the great news about your heart valve surgery.  I'm glad your daughter is nearby and available when you need help. I hope you are feeling more like yourself and will continue to improve.  Keep us posted and take care of yourself!

Not much else to report.  It is pretty chilly here this morning and I'm ready to put on one of my heavier jackets (thanks to 2 tours in Brunswick, Maine!) and get outside to bring my trash cans up in the driveway and to take my morning walk. 

Have a nice day, Every Buddy. 
Sue

Shirley

Mary, I've been reading your post over & over, so impressed with your doctors & care. I also had open heart & also left with a leg split from knee to ankle where they took a vein to use for by-passes. I've talked to people that had by-passes in OK & AZ that just had a little hole at top & bottom of leg to slip that vein out. I do not have a lot of confidence in these (all of them) doctors. I did fine right after the surgery with no meds, but when A-fib rocked the body I okayed a med that turned out to be the cause of delay for getting out of hospital & later. Once that was out of my system I did okay except no re-hab because my husband was in very bad shape & his worst nightmare was having to go into a care facility. We do what we must, right? One of the problems I have with allowing the new through the vein/artery install of aortic valve was I felt NO different or better after the other procedure or even after the stents this spring. Thanks for your input.... still battling the knee and head problems and since I am probably a doctor's worst patient (I try to be nice) I kind of do my own research and make my own decisions. I am extremely short winded, concerns my kids & they want me to fix it!

Wishing each of you a better year, health and family, this is a great support group, no matter what the issues!  Thanks for allowing me to hang in here with you. Shirley

SharonE

Shirley, we're glad to have you here. Whatever the ailm ent, if one of us can help someone else, that's the point. And we enjoy a little chatting too :D I hope Mary's experiences help you too.  As to being a bad patient, we all have to be our own advocates and research things being done. You can't just take the Dr's word.

The Geek Squad came this AM and after working 2 hours on transferring data, my new HP froze up and said it couldn't find the hard drive. Now I have to send it back, wait for a new one, and for the Geek to come again while I'm in Rehab, so I'll be out of touch except for FB for those of you on it.

I am also packed and just have to do the special showering etc tonight and tomorrow.  Surgery at noon but have to be there at 10:00.

Mary, that was quite a procedure that you had. More than I knew. You must have good doctors there in Chattanooga. I'm so glad you're feeling so much better and will soon be able to move into your own space, but near your daughter.

I just had a phone call from my sil and niece wishing me well tomorrow. So nice. I've run out of memory, so Hi to Sue and Jane and Marilyn, I'm so glad you've decided to slow down a little (or a lot) and I hope you win your election.  Love to you all till I get my new computer back.  Sharon

Shirley

Sharon, thanks for your kind words and best wishes for your surgery and quick recovery. So sorry the computer froze up, we've had those ones with missing parts, have to wonder where their "quality control" is. I don't do Facebook so hope someone will pass the news from you in here.

Marilyn, I keep meaning to ask you how old is Freckles now? You've had him ever since we first met long ago.... Do you have anyone that can take care of house, Keith & Freckles so you can get away even if for a day & night. When I used to go to Colorado camping alone I would always note it took 3 days before my nerves & muscles relaxed and quit being "ready to jump". Cas was a type A personality & didn't know what it was to do nothing, problem with that was I was the extra pair of hands in all his projects and still had routine jobs to take care of. Good years but nothing ever stays the same long and this is just another phase of life, as my mother used to say.

Sue, was smiling at your mention of gardens & early planting. We did the same on the acre of land we built on years ago. I would start seeds inside in January & would put tomato plants out with gallon milk just over until they got too big. One year we picked ripe tomatos early May, those Early Girls really did ripen early, but not as tasty as the Burpee Big Boys! I was not a canner, tried once & ended emptying the jars back into the garden to till over. I was sure I'd poison everyone!

JeanneP

I finely got to go out today and do a little shopping. fill up car etc.Was about 40 deg. but sun was out. I don't know what it was I got. Sure wore me out.I had tried being so careful around people with the flu being so bad in town. Wash hands every hour it seemed. Had taken the flu shot back in Nov. I bet I wquld have been a lot worse had I not taken that. Will try cutting down on the Cough Med. and try sleeping in bed tonight.
 I have a Dr. Appt. Wed. to see how the BP med is doing. With taking all the Med. I bet is shows high.
Every thing I touch is breaking. Had to step on stool in bathroom to pull down a plant. Broke the toilet lid. My Pad will not turn on. I think maybe it needs a need cord on the charger. Hope that is all it is. It is getting old but but like to keep it with all the books on it and maybe buy a new one soon..

Then I go into the file drawer on the Desktop computer cabinet. The whole bottom of the cabinet came off. Will not be able to be fixed. I have had it a long time. Almost afraid to touch anything else today. Think I am jinxed. What a start to a new year. Bound to get better.
I am just not going to turn on the News on TV for the next few days. Think that is part of problems right now. They never give any good news.

Just going to read a book for the rest of the night.  Can't break anything doing that . Leave the mess sitting on the floor until tomorrow. Need to find a new filing cabinet
JeanneP

Marilyn

Shirley I have only had Freckles  for 5 years she is 11 years old now. You must be thinking about my other 2 dogs. I take Freckles every place I go except inside church, she waits in the car. She goes on vacations with me etc. She is my Service Dog as well as a Therapy dog with a Therapy dog group locally. We visit medical facilities , care places and Independent living facilities. We also go to the schools in the spring to teach k_2 about the Responsibility of pet ownership and Safety.

I got 20 robo calls yesterday  from different numbers with the same  message, then in  the evening it was the same message except  for someone talking to me. I blocked all the numbers and then it would come from a different number. When it was a person, I  answered the call " You have reached the Coos bay police department please stay on the line". they hung up.

SCFSue

Good  move, Marilyn.  I have quit answering my phone with numbers I don't recognize.  I've learned that they are usually people wanting donations or trying to learn personal information.  My phone calls which I answer are usually from my church/bridge friends whose numbers I recognize.

It's another chilly and windy day here in Auburn.  I need to get dressed and outside for my daily walk.  I don't have much planned for today except reading and doing some laundry.  I hope Every Buddy is feeling well and has a good day planned.

Sue

Cottoncandy

Hi Buddies...been a busy day for me...had to get driving license renewed...80 mile round trip...I missed walking yesterday and today...hopefully can get back on tract...my niece that I had asked prayers for passed away last week...so sad..she was 56 years...and had fought cancer 15 years...we know she's with Jesus now....fought hard battle...hope everyone is doing well....our weather has been nice...cold at night but up to 70 in day.....Darlene

Amy

Darlene, I am so sorry to read this. Condolences to you and your family.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Shirley

Marilyn, I know I forget names of people but rarely forget a pet's name... I am stunned that I thought Freckles must be very old, it's a name that's been with me since childhood book "Freckles & His Friends".  What were your other dogs names? I thought you had two early on, when we first met.

So sorry about your niece, Darlene. Such a horrible, lengthy battle, can't help but think "not fair" to lose when they have fought so hard. Peace to all that loved her.

JeanneP, you really have had a bad start to the new year! Hope all is better tomorrow!

Any news from Sharon?

Marilyn

Shirley I did have two dogs, Happy the Border collie Husky mix and Bebe the Staffy mix. They passed away at 16 and 15. 1 year apart. Bebe 4 years ago and Happy 5 years ago.

Darlene so sorry to hear about your niece's passing. My condolences and prayers for your family.

maryz

Darlene, I'm so sorry about your niece.  That's tough at any time, but particularly with a relatively young woman.

There hasn't been any news about Sharon on Facebook yet.  I'll post when I hear something.

It looks like they're going to start moving some of my things tomorrow night - at least a bed, chest of drawers, my recliner, and a TV.  It's supposed to start raining on Friday with two hard days of rain, so we're glad to get this done before then.

SCFSue

Good morning, Mary and Everyone looking in. I'm hoping that all goes well with Sharon and will be looking forward to your post.  I am praying for good results from her surgery.  Good luck with your move and I hope the rain holds out so that all goes well.  Keep us posted.

Darlene, I am so sorry about your niece's passing.  It is so sad when someone so young has cancer and cannot overcome it.  Thoughts and prayers for your family. 

I need to shower and dress as I will be playing bridge about noon.  We will be playing at Terri's house and I've had a phone call from a member who lives near me who will pick me up.  Thank goodness for my friends!  If anyone has information about Sharon's surgery please let us know.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue