Random Image

Pat and Bus

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:03:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryz

Good heavens, Marilyn!  What a blow to you and the rest of your family.  I'm so sorry.  You have truly been having a terrible series of events this year.  Lots of hugs!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

As Mary said, you've had so many sad events lately.  Hugs to you from me, too.

Jane

jane

Jeanne...yes, a head cold, and feeling much better today.  Got out to the grocery store and did my laundry and some light ...very light...housework  :D

Sue and Mary...glad you had no damage from storms. Lots on TV here about them.

Sharon...hope your therapy is going great.

I'm going to be watching football...LSU vs Clemson tonight.  It should be a good game.

Jane

Marilyn

What I didn't tell you is that he shot himslef in the head,  There will be an autopsy. He had a suicide attempt  two days before Christmas. I am not ok.

maryz

Marilyn, of course, you're not okay.  My heart aches for you.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Marilyne

Marilyn - I read this morning about your son, and I want you to know that I'm thinking about you. I know you're a state of shock. Prayers for you and your family, and may your son rest in peace.

jane

Marilyn...any suicide death is such a shock to the system of his loved ones.  Of course, you're not ok. After the death of any loved one, regardless of the nature of the death,  nobody is.  Take the time you need and perhaps see if there's a grief counselor around who could help you. 

jane

I'm trying out a new recipe this morning, but think it may end up in the garbage...it's a combo of hamburger, onion, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper and chopped cabbage.  Sort of "unrolled" cabbage rolls.
 Hmmm...it's in the slow cooker now "mellowing together"...and we'll see.  It may be take out time tonight. :2funny:

jane

JeanneP

Jane
That type of quick recipe May r be a little bland. I like crock pots for lots of things but preference doing quick things like that in skillet. The tomatoes are watery and then cabbage adds  lots of water
.now casserol I like from crock pot . Things with rice in good. I love rice pudding made the Brit Way and found my little crock pot great for that. I have 3 sizes .use the little one most.

You will learn lots of good meals to cook for one. I always make for At least 2 either freezing one or llunch
next day. I am not big on fast food or eating out .i have one favourite place here for at least 30 years. Maybe it was here in your days. the Rib Eye SteAk house.

Now when working and lot of single friends we ate out every night for at least 30 years. Then retiree and changed a few things. Always liked cooking so went back to it. Life sort of changes after retiring..
JeanneP

jane

Jeanne...it is kind of bland, although I used roasted tomatoes with garlic and added more garlic, and it had onion, too, which I forgot to mention.  I think the slow cooker let it simmer easier...the recipe was huge and in a skillet would have made a mess, I think.  I have six servings in the freezer now.  I'm not a "foodie" who enjoys food or cooking it.  I wish I did.

It sounds like another storm coming in this weekend and more rain in the South. 

Jane

jane

Freezing drizzle here making roads icy and snow coming in.  Sounds like another inside day for me. :-\

Jane

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  It's chilly, but no rain here this morning.  I've had breakfast, read the paper, and just putzed around.  I need to get dressed and get my card tables out for tomorrow's bridge club is meeting here tomorrow.  I am hoping to bake a pie to serve for the bridge club.  I have pecans and a frozen pie crust in my freezer. 

Yesterday Tim came by to pick me up to meet Kris and her mom Arden for lunch at Red Lobster Restaurant.  We had a nice visit and I was glad to see Kris and her mom.  They've been visiting family in Ohio and it's been a while since I've seen them.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

JeanneP

For those who enjoyed the book "Arthur Trulove"by Elizabeth Berg. Try to find her new one"the confession Club. I just finished it. Hard to put down .read most of it today and hated it to end. Some of the people from Trulove appear in it. I just hope she writes more using same town and people.such a good writer.

Getting harder now to find good writers. So many seem to be passing.
JeanneP

maryz

It was quiet in here yesterday - nobody posting.  It was busy for me. A lady comes here and gives the residents free manicures - minimal, really just some filing/shaping/regular polish - but it was great to get that done.  And she just charges a hug.  Later I got a badly needed haircut.  A gal comes here - there's a small "salon" - and does cuts, perms, shampoos, coloring, etc., for a minimal cost (only $10) for me.  And that was great.

Margaret came by later in the afternoon and hooked up the expanded cable/wifi equipment.  I had ordered it on Monday, and the parts (2 good-sized boxes) were delivered Tuesday. There are both basic cable and wifi through the building.  But the wifi is "public" and I wouldn't have wanted to do any banking or other business on it, so that was important.  And I've gotten spoiled with DVR, pausing, etc., so I wanted that.  Anyhow, it's done now.

I hope all the Buddies are doing well.  Marilyn, you are especially in my thoughts these days.

SCFSue

Good morning, Mary and Every Buddy looking in this morning.  I've had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, but need to get into the shower for a shampoo and bath.  I have bridge club coming here at 12:30.  I made a pecan pie for dessert and hope it is edible.  I need to call my neighbor Libba in hopes she can come over to play as a sub.  One of our members has the flu and will be staying at home.

I hope Every Buddy will have a good day today.  I'll be back tomorrow!
Sue

JeanneP

MaryZ

That sounds great. Getting hair,nails etc right there. Saves time and travel. Hope you happy with hair cut. You have it short anyway.
I wish I could get someone like your daughter to come and do some changes on my tech stuff. I need to go over service that I. Have had 20 years with Comcast. I am paying way to much now what with them and my phones. Internet. Tv. And not getting anything worth watching. Hardly on computer now. Tv nothing worth watching. I don't follow sports. Their cost really went up again..they  don't have the service centre near me now.
I would be happy just with my IPad and one mobile phone. Thing is have to be on WiFi which ties into my Comcast. Lots of taxes have risen in Illinois in 2020. No wonder many leaving state. If I was younger I would be doing lots of changes. 
JeanneP

jane

-4 this morning but up to 12 now.  Storm warnings out for tomorrow and Saturday. Niece at Mayo today and tomorrow for appts with neurologist (today) and neurosurgeon (tomorrow morning) and then they'll make a dash for home in N. Wisc.  Same storm hitting MN and WI.  It was -12 there this morning.

I went out to grocery for food to have for the storm.  I also filled car with gas.  The station was busier than the grocery store!

Jane

jane

Our Sharon posted that yesterday was a bad day for her, and she was hoping today would be better.  She's hoping to maybe be home by Tuesday, but she knows she has a lot of therapy left to get her new knee working as it needs to.

jane

Strange day yesterday.  I began to hear an alarm type sound, but couldn't identify the source.  By the time I got to the front of the house, it'd stopped.  It started again later and by the time I went to bed, it'd wake me up every 20 minutes!  It wasn't the smoke alarms, nor the carbon monoxide alarm, nor the security system.  Finally at 2 o'clock am, I turned the switch off for the chair life...and no more alarms.  So...after 2 before I got to sleep. 

Our news is full of the winter storm warning....schools out early, events canceled, etc.  and the snow is coming down.  Unfortunately, 4 fire trucks went screaming past my house headed north a bit ago.

Stay safe, Buddies!

Jane

Cottoncandy

Hi all...we are finally getting rain here yesterday and today....so no walking.we needed the moisture...but I'm getting cabin fever..Marlyin thinking of you...Sharon hope you are doing better today...Jane that has happened to me..one time left my toothbrush on...battery..like to never figured out what it was....Mary..Howard you liking ur new apartment...Sue..are you getting to walk ..or do you have bad weather..Hi to Jeanne and all other buddies

Marilyn

Hello Every Buddy. I am not OK I am living every mother's worst nightmare. The sorrow comes in waves, like this morning driving to the gym. By the time I got there it was obvious I had been crying. I am going to do grief counseling I have the times and dates of  some at hospice and I have contact num bers for a coupke of pastor's who do one o  one counseling. I am really hurting.

JeanneP

Jane
Looks like you got a lot of snow
We get it tonight.i went and got all I need so can stay home. I could go a year if it wasn't for bread and milk .love grocery shopping though.. Filled up my car also.
Only thing I forgot. Library. Have lots on iPad though.a show I watch starting . Back later.
JeanneP

maryz

Darlene, glad you're getting some rain.  I know how Texas needs rain.
The apartment is working very well.  It's quite small, but hopefully a 1-bedroom will available before too long. The people, residents and staff, are all very welcoming and friendly.

It turned much colder here last night - not like jane's, fortunately, but cold enough. I just hope we'll have some sunshine tomorrow.

We went to Nashville this afternoon to meet up with John's grand-nephew and his fiancee.  They were there on business and didn't have much time.  We went to lunch and then a coffee shop to just talk until time to take them to the airport for their flight out.  Nice young folks and a nice afternoon.

Hugs to all the Buddies - especially Marilyn. 

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy. I have had breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen, and of course dressed for walking, but haven't made it outside yet.  Next Friday Tim will take me to see my GP at 9:00 a.m. and Eddie will come by at 10:00 to take me to the library and to Kroger.  Yesterday Eddie and I went to lunch at a nearby restaurant and then to Kroger and the library.

Not much else going on here today except the usual walk and reading in my den.  It's much cooler here today and I will wear a heavier jacket and hat plus gloves. 

Marilyn, I am so sorry for your loss and am keeping you in my prayers.  May you receive comfort from your family and friends.  God bless you and your family.

Take care, Every Buddy. 
Sue

jane

Marilyn...grief counseling is probably a good idea for you. 

Darlene...glad you're getting moisture.

Mary...hurrah on the apt working and hope for a one bedroom open soon.

Sue...enjoy your walk.

Sharon....hope therapy is going better.

Jeanne...oh, yes, we have snow...with ice glazed on top of it.  The wind has really picked up, but the ice glaze is stopping blowing snow.  However, the temps are dropping like a rock in a well.  31 at 10 am and now at 12 and headed lower tonight. 

My neighbor helped his daughter with the snow removal, so walks are clear and so is driveway, but I'm not going anywhere.  Even walk-in clinic is closed. 

Jane

JeanneP

No way of me getting out  this weekend . I am still coughing so need to stay home. Wind terrible and Icey rain. Still other areas getting it worse
Jane .glad you have someone to handle snow removable. My yard man unable now to do any work.
I still have things needing repairs inside but haven't found new handyman. Just forgetting it until things clear up. I will then go to such as Home Depot and see if any small contractors have their cards on file.

Mary. Now Texas daughter still not good but is able to walk a little with walker and has someone coming out twice a week if not more to work with her. She regrets now having them do this  operation. Lost faith in the doctor. Soon as able will see if she can get with another one. Check everything out.
When I first came to town I lined up dr. I would be using and for over 25 years was lucky. All were great. Now we have these 2 big med. centres one 190 dr. And other 172. Of all of mine only eye and ENT dr. I still have. It is now run like social system inUK but not as good. We have only 3 dr left now in private practice . We had at least 50 when I came to CU. worlds a changing.
JeanneP

jane

Brrrr!  It's a very chilly Sunday morning here...3 degrees and a bit of snow.  Good day to stay inside (again!) and at least some football on today.

I've also got a good book...Sue might enjoy...we share a lot of like for similar authors...Robyn Carr's Country Guesthouse.

I'm also loving her Virgin River series on Netflix.  Perfect for these cold, winter days. 

I heard from a friend from Texas who's at our old condo complex.  They've changed a lot...including reservations...and apparently raised the rates a whopping lot.  Up to $5,000 a month...for winter people.  Incredible.  That'll be double what many paid.  I suspect they'll lose a lot of long term rentals...i.e., the 3 and 4 month type ...which I can't believe will make the owners happy.  OH, well, not my worry anymore. I know those rates are common for FL and AZ, but have not been for S. Tx. 

jane

JeanneP

Jane.
I can't believe anyone would pay $5000 a months to stay in Padro island.i would rather be like
Barbados for half that. That would be my pick. Fact if health keeps up o.k I may think that next winter.i like islands.
I would like to go library today as I am out of books but just went to get my paper and my car abig ice ball. Only 13 today so I would have to scrape it.
Just sneezing away this morning. Not run my sweeper  for awhile or dusted. Bet that the problem.
I need cleaners in for a few hours but not ready yet..
I need to make some soup today. Only greens left are spinach . I could try using that with cheese. May work like my broccoli one .will try it.i have some mashed potatoes fro yesterday. Will thickish with that.
Going to try phoning home. To UK today.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good afternoon, Every Buddy.  I attended SS and church this morning.  Olyne came by to pick me up.  We had our new young minister preach this morning.  She gave a decent sermon, but I think needs some practice.  She's an attractive young woman and will do most of her work with the college students who attend our church, but will also preach when needed.  Right now I think time will tell us if she's really the one we need. 

However, I'm not on any of the church boards and I don't think my opinion will count with them.  And I was upset last week when one of the board members called and told me that I need to raise my pledge--which I'm not about to do!  It's quite possible that I may have to move to an assisted living facility again--and that's not something I want to do!

It's a lovely sunshiny, but chilly day here.  I have had lunch and cleaned up the kitchen and if there is not a lot of wind later this afternoon, I will get outside for a nice walk.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.  Marilyn, I hope you and Keith are doing well today.  Keep us posted!

Sue

maryz

jane, I have to agree with Jeanne - that's an exorbitant price on the Padre Island place.  I'm not sure of the exact amount I'll pay here, but I don't think it's more than that - although probably close.  And that includes all meals, cleaning, basic cable/internet, laundry, etc.  Oh, well, it's a vacation place, and that's how it goes.

It was brrrr cold here - not by your standards, "only" 28, but at least the sun is shining and we don't have snow and ice.

I'm not a football watcher, but the TN Titans are playing this afternoon, and that's about all that's been on the local (Nashville) news for the last week.  In this 30+ weather, there are watch parties, in blocked-off streets with Jumbotron TVs, in downtown Nashville this afternoon.  I'm sure the area is packed, too.  I cannot even imagine how crazy it will be if they win and go to the Super Bowl.

Happy Sunday to all the Buddies!