Random Image

Shades of Blue

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFSue

Good afternoon, Every Buddy.  Olyne picked me up this morning for SS and Church (I thank my lucky stars for her friendship!).  We had the usual SS lesson from our teacher, Jim, who doesn't always cover all the points and often lets us out early.  We have a good curriculum, but he often skips over what I think are the main points--but I am not about to talk to him about it.  I was the teacher and when he retired from AU, he told me he'd like to help teach.  I was delighted at first because I thought he really meant HELP! but he meant he thought he should be the teacher.  Oh, well, at least I don't have to spend several hours reading and preparing the lesson.  When he wants to be absent he asks a young woman in our class to take over--and today she was there, but he decided to cut it off without asking her.

Not much else to report.  It's a bright sunshiny but very chilly day today.  I want to put a load of laundry in and get out for my walk ASAP!  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.

Sue

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  It's M.L. King Day here in Auburn and no trash pick up so I don't have to rush outside and put my trash containers down by the curb.  There will be several memorial meetings at Auburn University in King's honor and will probably be well attended.

Tomorrow I have a dental check up and will have to get someone to take me over there.  I hope a neighbor will take me over and then come back to get me after my appointment is completed.  Not being able to drive now is a big problem!

Not much else going on today.  It's very chilly this morning and I'm still sitting here in my P.J.'s.  I need to get dressed and get a few things accomplished this morning.

I hope Every Buddy is feeling well this morning.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

maryz

I'll bet it's cold for Auburn, Sue.  It was 20* here when I got up, and up to 24* now (10:45am).  Very cold for this area, but at least it's not ice and snow.  Sorry for jane and Jeanne.  I like my indoor space to be about 68 in the winter time, but this room is hard to keep that way.  When I turn the heat on, it tends to keep heating, and not cut off where I set the temp.  So it'll get up to 72 or 73 very quickly, and then I have to turn it off.  Oh, well, it gives me some exercise, getting up and down.  ;D

The Titans lost yesterday, so their Super Bowl hopes are gone, but it was a good year for them.

Nothing much going on for me today.  I think Home Health is supposed to come by to set up an account.  The doc ordered some PT for me - a good thing, I'm sure - and they'll do my INR checks (the blood thinner levels), so I don't have to go to the doctor's office for that.

Happy MLK Day, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

maryz

Has the format on anybody else's S&F page changed?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Nothing looks different for me here, Mary.

Jeanne...I'm told that price range is common on desirable areas of Arizona and Fl. For winter on SPI, it's ridiculous, I think.

Sue...I personally refuse to "pledge" ...those church "board members" don't know my finances or my bills.  I give what I can.  Anybody who comes telling me what to give will get a very cold shoulder, and what I give now will be stopped.  This is 1 of my pet peeves.  (There are others, too. 😇 )

I had a heating guy here this morning...seems a pressure valve was stuck on my boiler, so upstairs rooms were cold. 

I also went to Fitness Center and walked on the treadmill.  It's too cold and slippery to go outside here to walk.

I hope Sharon gets home tomorrow.

Jane

Marilyne

maryz - YES, my format looked completely different.  I've been working on it for hours, and been in contact with Oldiesmann.  I just downloaded a new browser - Chrome - and it looks a little better, but not the same as before.  :P

JeanneP

How do you mean Mary? I have not noticed any. Now I find that when you hit New. Use to be it went right to where you Last left at the end. Now it goes back quite a way and one has to scroll down. I don't like that .
Not even dressing today. So messy out.
I have been on phone hours. Bills coming in for month end all seem to have put cost up . First Comcast , then ATT tel.  charged late charges. Then my drug tore changed pill  price. Called bank for more checks. Never paid for them 30 years. Free. Now want $25.
I I am not going to pay any of them. Now all got back to me taking charges off. They know when you would be able to replace them. All I have had for so long. I think money is getting to mean more to businesses than keeping customers happy now. It shows when I get unhappy with them. Mystrong British accent comes back strong.

Winter is getting to me this year.in the house to much.
JeanneP

maryz

jane, there's a column down the left-hand side that takes up about 1/4 of the space.  I've hit the minus sign, but it doesn't go away.

Marilyne, I already use Chrome.  Maybe I should just try to reboot.

Marilyne

maryz - You likely already got things straight, with a reboot, but if not, try this.
The way to get rid of that large column to the left, is to go to the top of the page, and look under the coffee pot,  at two gray boxes.  I clicked on the left side box, and the column went away. If that doesn't work try both sides.

maryz

YEA!! It worked. Thanks ever so much, Marilyne!  :smitten:

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  It's another very chilly day here in Auburn.  I've been out to pick up my paper and to check on my tubs down on the street.  We had no trash pickup yesterday because of the M.L. King birthday celebration. 

I have an appointment with my eye doctor at 1:30 this afternoon.  A volunteer will pick me up to go to the appointment.  My doctor's assistant will clean my teeth and the doctor will come in and chat (he likes my son Tim!) and pronounce me good for another year.

Not much else going on here today.  I am going to get out one of my heavier puffy jackets to wear to the dentist's office.  It is VERY COLD here in Auburn today!

Sue

jane

Thanks, Marilyn!

Mary...My problem is setting size and color in Reply box. The screen goes to. Blank white.  If I use quick reply, it seems ok.

Jeanne...odd about all your charge changes.  I do auto pay because I hate late charges or paying interest.  It's worked well for me for 15+ years. 

I've stopped the print edition of the Cedar Rapids daily paper and gone with the digital edition.  $16 a month as opposed to $37 and I don't have the delivery problems we were having with the print edition...and less to recycle.

My heating man is back..66 in my bedroom which is too cold for me in 5 degree outside weather. 

Tomorrow and through end of week it's to warm up and snow.  🤓

Sue...good you have lots of jacket options.  Your weather changes like ours does.  Good luck at dentist.  I did that appt in Dec. I like my new young guy.  He's not suggesting stuff I find outrageous....like my old guy was...veneers at $1000 a tooth...and 7 for me....clipping the doodad under my tongue so I can stick it out further!  I told him I had no need in 78 yrs to touch my nose with my tongue .  No thanks!  I think Gordy needed another payment on his Arizona house.😜

I hope Sharon gets home today.

Marilyn...did you find a grief counselor to talk to...or your pastor, perhaps?

Better go check on heating guy in basement.

Jane

SharonE

I'm back!! So nice to use a nice new computer too!  My knee is still very painful, but hope that will change Thursday when I see the Dr and get the staples out.  So  many things to do and no energy to do it. John put away most of my clothes & the suitcase, but some of it he didn't know where they went.  He also filled my bird feeder on my window, but the birdies haven't found it again. It was completely empty.I need to go get my medicines organized and then I think I will lay on the couch and watch all the shows I missed. I can prop my leg up better there.

It's about the same as Mary's here, cold but dry.   Mary, glad you're in your new dwelling and getting comfortable. Hope the new one opens up soon though.

Marilyn, I agree about the grief counselors. They can't hurt and hopefully will give you some peace. You know you have my thoughts and prayers.

Jane, thanks for postings updates for me.  I only had my smart phone, and I have lots of trouble with it, especially with my tremor.Stay inside and keep warm. It sounds like IA really got hit with the snow and ice.

Hi to Darlene, Jeanne, Alpiner and whoever else I've missed. I appreciate the good thoughts from everyone.  Sharon

jane

HURRAH....OUR SHARON IS BACK HOME!!! :hb2:  :hb2:  :balloons:

JeanneP

Sue
Now do you get your teeth cleaned at same dr. Who is checking your eye appt. today.? That's handy.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Jane. Was the cost $37 a month to ave a daily paper delivered. That was high. I still have ours delivered. It was just sold after  being owned by same family for about 97 years. Now a large organisation own it. I signed up when I first moved to town. Got the student price $5 a month. Over the years it got to $9 now it is $12 but stil I get student rate.i think it is $27 for regular.
I still enjoy having it delivered .specially on Sunday.. Like the store adds. They are now doing a good job other than had to put a box down beginning driveway as they can no longer get out of car and put on porch.
They supplied the nice box.

Sharon
Glad you are back home. You will improve faster..it is taking time  for my daughter after her back operation. Her problem being the nerve pain which is in her feet.

Sun is out. Only going up to 29 deg. But I am going to venture out in it. I need some walking. Will bundle up. Just left with the sniffles.
JeanneP

maryz

Hooray! for getting home, Sharon.  If nothing else, you have your own "stuff" and can sleep in your own bed.

I changed to the digital Chattanooga paper when I moved to Margaret's.  It's a pretty good paper (started by the Ochs family, who then started the New York Times!), but doesn't deliver the print edition in this area.  I'd rather have that, too, if for no other reason than to work the puzzles, but can't be.  I'm closer to Nashville and get the Nashville TV stations, but the paper is owned by the owners of USA Today, and it's really just a version of that paper.  So, digital it is - and that version actually looks just like the print edition, so it's not too different.

Jeanne, I think Sue meant the dentist when she said "eye doctor".  Less confusing if you read it that way.

jane, I was supposed to get a dental cleaning in September, but it didn't happen since I was in the hospital.  I have an appointment next month for cleaning with the practice Margaret goes to, so it should be okay.

We never got out of the 20s yesterday, but it's a bit warmer today with the sun shining.

Marilyn

I've been talking to a few people but  ot in a grief counseling group yet. Still working on the times of the groups. some are at night and I do not drive after dark anymore. Som far I am doing OK keeping busy.

Last night I was feeding the cats and I went to turn, well  my body turned and the foot and leg didn't. I yelped in pain and now I am having sciatica symptoms. Sure does hurt. I hope that is all it is.

SharonE

We stopped the Charlotte Observer as it was $300+ for the year paper copy. I don't like the digital ones. Sure do miss it though.

I got the meds and the clothes taken care of yesterday. I stopped the gabepentin yesterday as I didn't think I needed it, but my foot is hurting today. Will talk to dr. tomorrow.. Home health starts today.

Marilyn, do be careful. You can't afford to hurt or break something now with Keith's situation especially. I do hope you can find a grief counselling group that you like soon.

I'm just going to try to organize some things today and otherwise stay put.

Thanks for the big welcome!!  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  It's a really chilly morning here in Auburn.  I have bridge this afternoon at Olyne's--and Terri will pick me up to go there.  My dental appointment went well yesterday, but the tech who cleaned my teeth was pretty severe with her cleaning.  My mouth hurt for quite a while when I came home.

I need to get into the shower and dress.  I am planning to wear a pair of corduroy pants with long knee socks, a long sleeved shirt, and a sweater on top--plus a heavy jacket for the ride to Olyne's!

Marilyn, I hope you are feeling better and that all is well at your home now.  Keep us posted.

Sue

jane

Jeanne...yes, $37 for a month delivered to my porch...well, when new guy remembered.  Digital is exact same as printed, minus the ads.  I never looked at them anyway, so no loss.

Marilyn...when's the surgery on your other foot?  Is the one pretty well healed and without pain, now?

I got out before the snow started to walk at the fitness center and then to grocery for a couple items. 

Considerably warmer today...29 or so.

Jane

JeanneP

I have not notice if our News paper charges to go on line. I only use it to read the Obituaries for CU and Danville .It tell more than the paper and shows photo. bet there is a charge to read it all.

They said snow here for last night but not here yet. Hope it skips us.Better go see if my Car O.K. Not started it up for awhile. Going out tomorrow   as it is suppose to be sunny and 35.

Now the students are back at the Univ. on Tuesday. Have lots of China ones and many went home for the Spring Break. They are checking those student and other people that just came back from China. All the student told if they feel unwell to come into the Clinics right away.Also they want students to start wearing Masks.
JeanneP

SharonE

Go to the doctor's today and presumably get my staples out. Hardly slept last night. Up and down all night. Sharon

Marilyn

Jane my left foot is still painful and the arch really hurts at time. I have to make sure I have my arch supports in any shoes that I wear except for my boots. So I have not been back to the dr. about the other foot yet. Too many other things going on in my life right now to even think about another surgery. I will be taking Keith up to Washington to see his kids the end of Feb. and my friend Jo is going with us to do part of the driving. I do n ot like to drive on I-5 freeway too much traffic and too many big trucks.

alpiner1

My husband & I left home on Friday & drove to the bay area to attend our grandson's Eagle Scout Court of Honor . We started the trip home on Monday , stayed one night in a motel & got home on Tuesday .  Grandson had earned more than 50 merit badges !  This was quite an accomplishment because he has aspergers .
Sue.....About pledging a contribution at church ,  in the Bible it says to give as you are prospered .  It is your choice !
  On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

SCFSue

Sharon, I hope the trip to the doctor today to get the staples out goes well.  Keep us posted.  Thoughts and prayers for a good outcome from here in Auburn!

Alpiner, congratulations to your grandson and his 50+ merit badges. Two of my sons stayed in Scouts a long time and one went to the National Jamboree somewhere out west. I was a Cub Scout Den Mother in several states.  My husband was a Naval Officer and we moved a lot!  The youngest did stay in Scouts quite a while, but eventually when in high school found other things he enjoyed more.

And I agree with you about my contribution to my church.  I give as much as I can afford, but I am cautious about my giving--I may need to go to an assisted living facility in a year or two.  So far I'm able to stay in my home, do the usual household chores, but do have a cleaning service every 2 weeks which is a big help.

It's very chilly and is raining today.  I usually walk in my neighborhood, but will not go out into the rain unless it slows down.  I do have boots and rain jackets, but can go if the rain is not too bad. 

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

jane

Good Thursday Afternoon, Jeanne, Marilyn, Sharon, Sue, Mary, Alpiner, Darlene, Shirley...Much warmer here in mid America after a night of snowing...but roads are clear.  I got out to get the batteries in my car fob changed.  So, I'm good for another 5 yrs, maybe.  :smitten:   I also stopped and had "coffee"...well...chai tea latte...with the "girls" at the coffee shop.  Then on to the card store...they have lovely cards for .50 each....so I stock up.  And on to the grocery store for a few things. Now home for the afternoon. 

More snow to come today and through tomorrow.

jane

SharonE

Hi Gals. The staples were removed and I slept 6 or so hours last night. Not enough for me, but better than yesterday. My knee still hurts but isn't on fire. An ice pack helps tremendously.  The therapist is coming at 11:00. Groan.

Jane, I'm glad I don't have to deal with snow anymore. Be careful. I haven't had my fob batteries replaced since I bought the car in 2011. May have to soon though. I try to buy cards at the Dollar Store. They are cheaper than anywhere else near here.

Sue, church donations are a personal thing. Give what you can and ignore the others. I hope you don't have to go to asst. living soon, but with all the problems you've had, it does sound probable.

Alpiner, you must be very proud of your grandson. Especially with his handicap.  One of our SS members' grandsons also had Aspergers and got his Eagle Scout award.  OUr son was in scouts in elementary school, but then lost interest. None of our grandsons were Scouts, which is a shame. It is such a good organization. I was a Girl Scout till I was 13 and learned so much from it.

Marilyn, I can understand your reluctance to have another surgery so soon. You do have too much going on right now.

Hi to all.  Sharon

maryz

Sharon, glad the staples are out - that always helps.  I've got PT coming twice a week, but he's just working to get (and keep) me moving and to gain strength.  But I well remember how painful it was after my knee replacement.  I always took some pain meds before going.

alpiner, congrats to your grandson.  That's quite an achievement!

Marilyn, you are always in my thoughts.

Sue, I know you want to stay in your house, and that's good.  But really, assisted living is pretty good, too.  Hang in there.

jane and Jeanne, I definitely don't envy you your wintry weather.  I've never lived in a really "northern climate", so really have no first-hand experience.

Margaret took me for a mani/pedi yesterday morning.  It was great to get the hands and feet tended to.  I had had only one real mani/pedi since the end of August, and they were in pretty bad shape.
It was Margaret's first experience, and I think she enjoyed it, too.

Nothing else exciting going on around here.
Happy Weekend, Buddies!

Marilyn

I take Keith to my nail girl to get his pedi, he really likes the attention. Last time I also had my mani/pedi while he waited. I get gel nails so they dry  pretty fast. She always does his feet first then mine.

II will be going to see my hospice patient today then writing my report.

We I got elected to be the Vice President of our little furry friend organization. Now I have some reading to catch u[ on regarding the position, and work on geting a speaker for our meeting next month.