Random Image

decco dolly

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jane

Big Storm is Big Nothing!  It's supposedly going way south of us...so all that hullabaloo for nothing.  It's sunny here and mid 30s. 

I THINK my taxes are ready to go to CPA.  But yesterday, I got a corrected 1099, so I guess I'll wait until first of March to take them over.  At least my dining room table is cleared of paper piles, except for one big one for the accountant.

I guess I'd better think about getting up to FC for a ride on the bike. I didn't go yesterday...all the joints hurt too much to even consider it. 

I see the CDC is issuing a warning...this in a news thing I get from the Washington Post.

Health officials warn that spread of coronavirus in U.S. appears inevitable
The comments were made in separate briefings to lawmakers and reporters on Tuesday, marking an escalation in tone and urgency.

"Ultimately we expect we will see community spread in the United States," Nancy Messonnier, a top official at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters. "It's not a question of if this will happen but when this will happen and how many people in this country will have severe illnesses."

AND, the local man was found guilty of 1st degree murder from 40 yrs ago...so the rest of his life is in prison.  His comment to the police when he was arrested was "test the DNA"...he apparently told a cellmate he didn't think there was any. WRONG!  There was....his!  The jury just took 4 hours to convict him.

jane

maryz

Funny story about the DNA, jane.

Re the coronavirus, what gets me is how much they're hyping that in the US, and never mentioning this year's flu.  There have been millions of cases of that here, and thousands of deaths - much worse than COVID19. Frankly, I think we ought to worry lots more about the flu.

We've got some lovely sunshine today.  These days are few and far between this winter.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Mary, very overcast but to be 69 degrees. Next rain is tomorrow night I think.  The new place is probably about 25 or 30 miles from here, but the medical transport will only take you 7. If John's eyes do go bad and he won't be able to drive, that would be a problem, plus I'm not good driving in unfamiliar areas. I'll have to study up and see if I can drive.  I will be selling my car anyway.  I take meds 4x a day, so I only do a week at a time in each of the 4 holders. I take a lot of supplements, so 2 of my holders have to be pretty large.

I slept well last night but I forgot to do my exercises before bed, so that may be why. My therapist is coming in about an hour.

Jane, glad the storm bypassed you. Hope you got to the FC.

I'm going to put several things on FB to sell tomorrow. I'll have John take the pics for me because of my tremor.

Have a nice day everyone.  Sharon

JeanneP

Jane sounds good that you didn't get snow. Maybe now we will not get the 4inch they say expected

Sharon. I thought that you were just in the thinking about it on the moving.sounds like you have found the place.. Ihatethoightof moving not done it for years.
Mary. Now don't you have a kitchenette in your appt so you can fix something to eat anytime.
We all seem to waking up at 4am these days. T sometimes gets little snack or glass warm milk and then back to sleep today I slept back to 9am. Still not dressed but weather cold and raining so may stay in pj. Had me eye dr. Appt. yesterday. All well.
JeanneP

maryz

Jeanne, I had more of a kitchenette where I was in Chattanooga. Here I only have a microwave and a dorm-sized refrigerator. And even before, I almost never "cooked" anything - maybe just a microwave noodle dish or something like that. I could do that here, too, but just haven't. I'm really not a fan of cooking, although I was a good cook. My favorite meal has always been "somebody else cooked it". ;D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Shirley

Aw, Mary, how about those 2 & 1/2 months on the road to Alaska... surely you fixed a few meals along the way?  ;)  I will envy you that trip as long as I live, my dream that is no longer reality. But it was fun to think about & even plan, it just doesn't sound as appealing anymore. After 6 years with a new RV I know how many things can go wrong, nearly everything of the RV doing has been replaced, the Ford part, engine & chassis has been no trouble, but have replaced tires over & over before discovering "they" don't adjust alignment for weight it will carry when RV part is added. Glad you are doing well.

I do sneak in to check on y'all but do too much talking over in the Soda Shoppe & hate to repeat & bore the ones that visit in there.

maryz

Shirley, the Alaska trip was such a wonderful experience, with so many great memories. I always cooked, and was a good cook.  Planning was what I really hated. So I really liked other folks' cooking. I still help my daughter with the turkey dressing on holidays, though. Daughter Kate really has the bug to get a small RV and hit the road with just her dog. I hope that works out for her.

Shirley

Hope Kate gets the chance, Mary, only so many healthy years, right? I really want a dog to travel with, these cats don't bark when someone comes near the RV! Actually, I'd feel safer out walking if I had a dog along, I'm partial to German Shepherds but maybe they are too big for me now. Ours thought we were equals so her vote sometimes canceled mine out. Cas was boss, she didn't need a leash to obey him. She weighed about 100 lbs so it was a question as which of us took the other for a walk.

When I go to MO alone I do have my campgrounds planned out, but I don't make reservations in case I change my mind & decide to do something else. I have no problem stopping over in a Walmart parking lot for a few hours or night, if I can't get to the place I'm heading for. Always a few other campers around, I just don't get out now that I am alone. I prefer the Corp of Engineer campgrounds with electricity & will watch DVDs at night or on a rainy day if TV isn't any good. Frig & freezer runs on propane along with a stove to heat or cook anything with or without electric hook ups, and I do run the generator when I want to use the microwave. Lots better than the old days. The Rialta was nice for travel but a lot less convenient that this 4-Winds.

At 85, sporting a pig aortic valve, 3 by-passes & 2 stents, I know my days of travel are limited. Cardio wants to replace the valve again but I'd like to hold off since there is a newer one not approved yet, but so far sounding like a much better one.

I walked away from the cataract surgery scheduled for tomorrow... that doctor refused to give in about me being allergic to the drops used after, even when the pharmacist refused to sell me what he ordered because I am on record for being allergic to it. The script got batted back & forth a few times so I called and told them "I'm walking". They then agreed to what was suggested as an alternative for that med but I told them "TOO LATE". The lady on the phone was not nice at all so I asked her if they would "Like to take this to the public"...

I really did not like feeling trapped by the fact the consultation I went in for turned out to be running all the tests & taking measurements for surgery. When the doctor finally came in & asked if I had any questions, I pulled out my list & he started wringing his hands & said, "Well, I'm busy...." Told my kids I wasn't about to let a doctor cut into my eye when he already didn't like me. I had the 5 pages of "disclaimers" of what could go wrong & while I know the job has to be done, but will find someone that isn't running old people through as "one size fits all".

I am ready to run away from home, but will have to wait for a trip to CO mountains mid June. Sons camp next to me & we do have a great week. I insist on paying for everything, tell them "I am spending their inheritance the way I want and getting to enjoy it as well". Works for me.  The boys make reservations for us first of the year.

I am almost giddy at being bold/brave enough to walk away from being bullied. I called Medicare & my BlueCross to see what my options are about all this. Ladies from both places say I have a right to a 2nd opinion, and the one from Medicare told me I should get copies of the tests they ran. Which I did & was another butting heads moment. I honestly felt sorry for all those "old people" (like me) sitting in that waiting room, wondering if they were just afraid to walk away & get another opinion. So now I've told all, sound like a nut but am at peace with firing that doctor! My "family" doctor and cardiologist are okay with decisions I make, just put on my chart "Patient refuses"... when I won't take a med recommended. We all know our own bodies and what we can tolerate, I think, and what we can or can't do. I'm not ready to give that option up. I've rambled on too long... Still thinking about that trip to Alaska and how fun it would have been with a willing companion, Mary, and I'm guessing John was easy going? It was such a kick to meet you two when you came through Wichita.

maryz

Shirley, glad you're still getting some camping done. I'd love to be going with Kate, but I'm satisfying myself by making travel recommendations. I love that all my girls and even the grandkids are loving to travel, and sometimes using the money gifts I give them for travel. Glad you're standing up for yourself with the doctors.

Good night, Buddies!

JeanneP

Typed out a nice long one but its vanished. Do it again tomorrow.
JeanneP

SharonE

We contemplated renting an RV for a trip to CO when the kids were young, but after finding out the cost of gas and various other things, we decided to drive and stay at motels with pools for the kids and eat out for dinner. I bought and kept breakfast and lunch things in a cooler, so we didn't go out for those.  We took the inland Alaska cruise and enjoyed it but wish we had taken the land tour as well.  We traveled a lot until about 10 yrs ago. Then, my back and knees started complaining too much to enjoy it.  Our kids are traveling a lot now too with our encouragement. However, I really hope none go abroad this year with the corona virus.

Shirley, I can't imagine RVing by myself. I hope you have a wonderful trip to CO this summer. That's my favorite state.  Good for you for standing up for yourself with the Dr. Some of them think they are kings and can make you do what they want.  When it's your eyes, that's super serious.

Mary, I used to cook well and a lot, but like you, I preferred someone else's cooking. I'm looking forward to not having to do it anymore.

I finished the laundry yesterday and still need to get some of it folded, but my back was screaming. Working on taxes today.

Sunny today.  Sharon

jane

Sunny and at 30 degrees today, but no snow.  Our snow melted a lot the last few days...but some still left on yards and where it was piled up in driveways and parking lots, of course.

Sharon...good luck on the taxes.  I think mine are ready to go to the accountant, but I'll do a final check by the weekend.

Jeanne...hope the snow didn't reach you.

Mary...I was never a good cook...Raymond was...but I'm ok with fixing what I like...and that's easy and quick.

Hi to Sue, Darlene, Shirley...

I'm moving slowly this morning...going to catch up with my checkbook and Quicken, and read for a bit and go to FC again about 12:30 or 1:00 pm.  That's when they're the slowest and I can ride the bike with my Ipad to read from.

Then I need to make a WalMart run to replace some spatulas and a kitchen brush. 

No bridge today, unfortunately. 

jane

JeanneP

The weather man was right. We sure got the snow. Its real soft kind and so could do a path to my NPaper post end of drive. It is still coming down but just slight. Hope this all for this year.

It was worse on Monday.I have a late afternoon appt. Eye Dr. Usually I can see to drive the 8 miles back home but was just a hard storm coming down. Did not have sunglasses which helps in storm. Friend came out to bring a pair but we decided to leave my  car and go into town to Dollar Tree and couple other places and then went to get my car. by this time still pouring and driving out back home a heavy fog came on. Was a white knuckle drive as at 5:20 it is terrible driving across both the twin town. Was I glad to get home. Bet my BP was raging . Never drive in the dark and bad weather again.
JeanneP

diglady

"Local" flu (a & b) vs coronavirus. Coronavirus has 2.5% -3% death rate.  Local virus has 0.05% death rate. Remember SARS? Its death rate ~ 10%

Be careful out there. Mask don't really protect you. They are 'good' for about 20 minutes unless you have true medical one. The mask you see people wearing just keep your hand from your mouth and nose.   

jane

Afternoon, Buddies. 

Hi, diglady! Good to see your post.

We've got sun today and high 20s, so all is good.  I've been working on getting files set up in my Quicken for 2020.  I have my tax info packaged up for my meeting with my tax lady on March 9.  That's a relief.

I need to get ready to go to the Fitness Center, too, although I hate going.   :coolsmiley:

Stay safe,

jane

JeanneP

Jane. Be Careful at the fitness as they are saying things spread easy there. Suppose to spray them down after ever person uses but doesn't get done. Will be lots of them closing for awhile soon.
specially after that lady coming down with it in California. Now saying that she was close to the Military Base were they have put the 400 People that were on the Ship. We have U of Il. Students returned now that were Studying in Italy. All being checked out.
JeanneP

jane

Jeanne....You're right and the FC has alcohol wipes everywhere and signs on every machine to wipe it down after use.  People seem very good about doing that, but I'm hoping March will let me walk outside and I won't need the FC.

I've seen the news programs to say no handshaking and I'm avoiding crowds where there are always people sneezing and coughing...like church, sporting events, grocery stores on Saturday, etc.   I'm concerned about flu right now here.  I go to church when nobody else is there and try for grocery on their "slow times,"  >:(

It's a beautiful Friday...with a movie-like snowfall..and sun.  Snow to end soon and then warm up for the weekend. 

Jane

maryz

We've had a couple of very (for us) cold yesterday and today, with enough snow this morning that the schools were out. Of course, it doesn't take much here to close the schools. It's not only unusual to get any snow, but the buses run in the dark, so can't see icy spots. Plus it's very hilly, which makes it harder to drive. Oh, well - not my problem any more.

My world is pretty sheltered here, so not much contact with crowds.  But I do have two doctor appointments next week, which will put me in "dangerous" locations. Lots of handwashing, etc. I'm like you, jane - more concerned about the regular flu right now.

I hope Sue is okay - haven't heard from her in a couple of days.

Happy Friday to all the Buddies!

SharonE

Hi Gals. I'm with you on staying out of crowds, etc. Both viruses are truly scary.

Not much going on here. We worked on taxes yesterday and plan to finish them this afternoon.

I'm in a little less pain today, so that is good, and the sun is out.

When I used to go to the FC, I wiped things down both before and after I used the machine.

No snow here except in the mountains.

Hi to all. Have a good day.  Sharon

JeanneP

Never have been on for joining the FC When i did it a few years ago I only used it twice. Feel the same about public swimming pools. Can't think of getting in the water with hundreds of people in them. I was in a accident when about 10 and ended up all tubed up in hospital so not to crazy about water anyway. Always been a walker and run a little.
I see that I have a appt. with Dr. for a BP check on Tuesday. At 2:30 it is not to busy so will get in and out fast. Wash hands both in and out. Some people think a little to fussy about it but I would rather be fussy than Sorry. I myself think that this is going to spread more than what the Health telling us and so I will not be anyplace crowds are. I go to the movies a few times a month but now they are not running until 4pm. Usuall if go at around 1pm Show then very few in. Nothing worth seeing right now.                 

JeanneP

jane

HAPPY LEAP DAY!!

Jeanne...I think the health people are being honest and saying it will spread.  It's the DC politicians who....surprise...are dishonest.  I, too, am avoiding crowds. 

Beautiful Saturday here and to be warmer.  We went to a place we hadn't been to for a couple years...won't be returning.  Then stopped by home of other couple who have been in and out of hospital and nursing home.  Both now home and improving.

Jane

Cottoncandy

Good morning Buddies...Beautiful day here..just got back from walking...trying to get a cold so increasingly my vitamin C and taking zertic...Jeanne..hope you get a good report on your Dr visit...BP...Hi Jane..mabey your winter is about over..I need to get my humming bird feeder up..Sharon and Mary..hope things are better for yall..Hi to all I missed...I voted early...so done with that...Have an awesome weekend

jane

Darlene...wow, good on you for having your walk done.  I'm still thinking about getting out there.  :idiot2:  Today and tomorrow to be much warmer and I do prefer to walk outside. But, it's still below freezing here, so I'll wait a bit. 

jane

JeanneP

Candy. Now that Zertec will really raise you BP. I used it last year for Alergies and it does work but  really made my BP worse.Very little that one can take if getting a cold. I sort of stick with my Grandmother old Home Meds.
Right now I am just trying to stay away from places where lots of people go. Not one for Eating out anymore. Did it just to many years.  Was Just watching TV. Again saying forget the face masks unless you the one with the cold. Its the germs coming out not for them going in., Now I have always used the Little dab of Vicks under each nostral . Not up nose. This is what is done over in such as Africa and places poor like that.Would help  when working around area where Diseases that were contagious . Odors bad.
Had family living there years ago and also knew Dr. who worked in India. Now at home I use both Bleach and Hydroxide in little soapy water .better than stuff sold. Keep a little water always in Bathroom sink with little soap and bleach to wash hands and i spray kitchen from a bottle of half hydroxide and half water and spray down kitchen tops and sinks after doing cooking and dishes. Grew up learning to do this.
My Grandparents come in 1889 for UK to live in Lowell outside of Boston. In 1890 after have a baby she died of Collora said to have spread from the water running through there and the baby died at 2 months.  GF/ He returned back to UK in 1897. So that is where I most probably, years later, told  about washing good. I am a little nutty about it.  We also warned during the war years to watch and disinfect a lot . Only takes a minute.
JeanneP

alpiner1

I had quite a surprise on Tuesday !  A family member was on Ancestry researching her family .  A link to a possible relative was discovered !   When I learned of his mother's name an alert went off in my head !  I knew of her from the church my family attended .  My sister said they were friends .  It seems my brother is the father !  There is a resemblance too .

jane

Alpiner...lots of interesting stuff coming out with the ancestry sites and the DNA testing.  I gather you didn't know your brother had a family?

Jeanne...Ray was big on having wipes to wipe down counters and using paper towels.  I guess I inherited that from him.  I use a lot of rubbing alcohol and vinegar around here for cleaning.  I, too, am avoiding crowds where I can...and not going to WalMart on Sunday, but will grocery shop and do WalMart on a Monday morning.  I'm concerned since hearing a patient tell others the doctor told him lots of pneumonia, Flu A&B, bronchitis and all that about.  It's sports tournament time here...and that brings back lots of things besides trophies!   :(

It's a wonder 54 degrees here and my "work" for today, such as it is, is over.  Bed changed and clothes and sheets to be washed tomorrow.  I need to get out and walk. I'd bet our Darlene has beat me to it, and probably Sue, too.   :2funny:

I hope Sharon is feeling better today.

Mary...hope it's warming up for you, too.
jane

JeanneP

I put my lounging clothes on this morning and now it is warming up. I need to go and fill up my water jugs ind get the case of drinking water. I m out . Just can't get into mood to change clothes. I could just run to Walmart. Nobody seems to dress good that place.
Jane is right .that not place to be on Sunday's.
I took a good walk yesterday late and slept 9 hours. Sooner do that. It's 55 deg. Now.
I still have not got this new iPhone the way I understand it. Tomorrow will go out to target or best buys and see if I can get help. I always have problem with things running on google. No ne with anything by Apple. Just don't want to spend money on their iPhone.  Don't like using phones anymore . Evert one texting.Would like a new iPad first.

got to move. All enjoy the day.
JeanneP

alpiner1

Jane  my brother was only about 17 when the son was born . I doubt he knew about him .  My brother passed in 2005 .  Most of his family has welcomed him . He has another son but I don't know if he knows .

jane

Alpiner...one of those complicated family issues.  We all seem to have them, don't we.

Well, the tease of spring we had over the weekend has left us and we're back to 30s and a gusty wind.  It makes for staying inside feel good.

I did my Monday morning chores...paying insurance bill, redeeming some EE bonds that had come due and making a trip to WalMart and then the local grocery store.  I'm not the only one who has to do both to get what I want.  The car beside me at WalMart had a personalized license plate...and ta da...there it was when I left the grocery store, too.  So, I'm set for the week, I think. 

This afternoon I'm reading while my laundry is churning away in the basement.  Sooooo very exciting.

Stay warm and safe, Buddies!

jane

alpiner1

Last week we had warm weather in the high 70's & one day it was 83 .  Yesterday had a little rain with snow in the local mountains . Today its cloudy & cool .  We went to town & we got to try out the seat warmers in our new car !