Random Image

IMG_1590 (1280x960).jpg

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:03:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jane

Last day of March...finally.  This month has seemed, to me, to be about 300 days long!  Now April will, I hope, bring us here in NE Iowa some warm temps and outside flowers blooming.  I'm really sick of brown, brown, brown.  :D

Jeanne....I see they arrested that Pastor at a mega church in FL for holding services.  FL gov doesn't want to keep people at home and they have a huge over 65 population, plus all those who left NY and NJ to go to their places in FL.  I'm quite happy here in my little town and my own house.

Sharon...I'm not a very social animal...I don't belong to local "groups"...red hats, PEO, Tourist Club, etc like my friend Kathy. So, while I'm very lonely with Ray gone, this stay at home doesn't really make it any different.  I'm an introvert for sure.

I guess I need to take some soup out of the freezer for supper tonight.

Absolutely nothing going on here, either.  No cases in our County...one of a handful of counties in Iowa with no reported cases, though our neighboring counties all have cases.   

My plans for today are SOOOO exciting...going to wash up some cotton blankets...and a load of dark clothes.   8)

Only in high 40s today, so not sure I'll be walking...will wait until this pm to see if the sun makes it better.

jane

JeanneP

Jane. I have always been a loner. I like people but really like being alone. Love traveling alone and meeting strangers. Done it for ovr 50 years. Not so much now as the world has changed. So it is not bothering me staying home at this time. People not using the phones these days. I have 2 friends and we can talk for hours about all kinds of things but now its all whats on the news etc. Have spoken to UK family but that about the same
Most people I have been around are people I worked with. Few male friends. But all just wanted to eat out every night. This I hate doing. Love cooking my own food. Doubt I will change any now.
I am not taking my laundry this week. Most probably wait couple weeks. Miss that as they do fantastic job. Have enough sheets and towels and enough clothes to change daily for 6 months. I just hand wash dishtowels after daily use and always have washed daily undies and what I sleep in. will put rest in laundry bag and drop off later. Never had a W and D and my laundry room was set up for a Stack up and I prefer to use for a spare big closet.I was raised with laundry always going out to be done so never did care to do it. Hate ironing also. My people do what needs doing.
JeanneP

maryz

Well, it happened yesterday. At lunch in the dining room, we were told we're being confined to our rooms until at least 15 April. All our meals are being brought to us. They're going to have some activities - like bingo or trivia - that folks can play from their doorways, but that's all. Oh, well, it wasn't a surprise. 

I've got plenty of yarn (so far), the computer still works, and the TV works - so I guess I'm okay for the duration.  And practice at it - since I'd just "graduated" from two weeks of self-imposed quarantine with that nasty cold.

At least this county has only one case of COVID19 recorded ... as of yesterday.

I hope all the Buddies are staying well, and coping well with the restrictions.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Glad everyone is okay. I was surprised Mary when you said you went to the dining room. All the places around here deliver to the rooms.  I'm glad you're well and hope the 2 weeks goes quickly.

Jeanne & Jane, I'm a people person, but this past year has kept me in most of the time.

We have everything staged that we're going to and just have to clean today.  John is sweeping now, then I will do the hardwoods and dust. The bathrooms are clean, so I think that will be it. The video guy comes tomorrow at 10, so maybe we can rest up for a little while.

Hi to everyone. Stay safe.  We have one case in our county, but don't know where.  Sharon

jane

Chilly morning greetings!

Mary...glad to hear you're still feeling better.

Jeanne...It's all in what we're used to, isn't it.  I can't imagine not having my own W & D but, that, again, is what I grew up with.  There's no place here to take laundry, so it would mean doing it myself at a laundromat, which we do have, and I hate getting out to do that. 

Sharon...glad you're all ready for the videographer. What a lot of work you and John have done. Now rest and recoup.

Last night Rachel Maddow said Iowa didn't have shelter orders for the state. Well, we do, it's just not called that. Basically everything is closed, including stores, schools and churches,  except for drive through food places, pharmacy drive-throughs and groceries and ag supply stores.  So, there's no place to go and we're told to stay home.  Still no cases confirmed in my county, but it looks as if they now think people who have no symptoms may be carriers.  That's a scary thought.

THANK GOODNESS for the internet and tv...and esp.the internet! 

Nothing exciting here on the Oneth of April...gloomy and maybe some rain to come. 

Guess I'll catch up on my personal bookkeeping and get checkbook up to date with automatic payments.

Stay safe and healthy!

jane

Cottoncandy

Good morning gals...a little windy here...I have walked..mopped my flours..and cleaned and cleaned...Jane..I agree...March has been a lonnng..month...I got out to HEB and walmart yesterday...spent $200...but hopefully that will last awhile..was able to get TP. And most things on my list...I prayed while I shopped not to get exposed..but people were staying good length from everyone...I wore gloves but not a face mask...I never dreamed this would happen in my lifetime...Sharon bet you are excited to get settled in your new place..Hi Jeanne Mary Marlyin and all others...I have a guy coming to cut my yard so will sign off...be safe

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  It's almost 11:00 and I am finally dressed, have read the paper, and will stay inside the rest of the day.  So far I haven't heard that any of my neighbors have the virus, and I'm taking precautions and staying inside.  There is corona virus in Auburn--I don't know how many cases, but I'm not going to walk in my neighborhood for fear of running into another walker who may have been exposed.  The hospital has set up tent centers for testing those who come to the hospital to see if they are exposed.

So I'm planning to read and just putz around instead of visiting with neighbors.  I hope all of you are well and not exposed to anyone with the virus.

Take care Every Buddy.
Sue

Marilyn

So far our county and one other coastal county  do not have any Virus cases. I don't know about the eastern counties Some of those are sparsely occupied.

We are staying at home, but I do take freckles for her daily walks even in the rain. I have a rain suit so I am fully comerved except for shoes when we go out. I did go to Safeway yesterday to lick up Keith's meds and some cat litter that I forgot to buy when I was at Walmart. Not many people being let i the stores at  one time. I noticed that Toilet paper shelves ar still being emptied as soon as it gets put out. I was behind a lady yesterday  by the paper towels. There were a few packages out and she was telling her friend "I wonder if there is a limit."

Have a wonderfuul day Buddies.

JeanneP

I live on the outskirts of town and my road leads in from int.75. Big trucks an traffic all the time. Now so quiet.
I will go out today as sun is out and 55 . I feel like I am not getting enough sunlight. Hair seems to not have usual body. Skin feels dry. It has been 2 weeks indoors.i move a lot in house but miss the walking.eating to many carbs I think. Will just go fast through the veg.area of store . I m ay call them and see if they  could pick up more stuff for me and I will pick up at door. Could pay in cash.

Mary. I bet the meals do not taste as good eating them in the room. I never care d to order in for that reason. I buy the bake your own pizza not have delivery.

Jane.now I just drop my clothes off at a  big cleaners. Laundry place. All comes back on hangers. Ironed,folded, in plastic.lady been doing mine has been there 15 years.takes good are of mine.
Now if I could get a house cleaner as good I would be so happy.will try again when this over. I am getting more like my mother every day. Only diff. She didn't like cooking either. Sharp business woman though. I could do the cooking from age 8. Grandmother lived  by us .great cook. Not much choice as the 7 year war not much food to cook.i still cook some of her war time meals. Just add things.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Looks like I wont be going to store anyway. It is coming over our radio Every 15 min. that they do not want anyone,  but for the ones going to work to be on the street. It is getting bad now in our area. I think because today would have been the day that after5 weeks the university would be back and starting last semester. We have 95000 now there. Many go home but none that are still in University housing, dorms not allowed.
 but so many are older and live in apt. condos and their rents started again Monday. Most probably their  Tech stuff runs through the lines WiFI from Either the Univ. or private. Have to have it to study.
Some may have brought virus  back to town. Making all worker even in the Walmarts and other stores get temps taken when they come in. Sent out if temp over 99deg . All seniors not to be seen. If they want food or Med help there are 3 places set up to call and people will take care. One being the County Health Dept. So staying in for me. O.K on food other than water and i can boil tap if I run out.
So I am now cooking for the next 5 days. Shocked at how much I had in my freezer outside. I have take one bag of chicken Thighs out. Simmered  them and have use to make Chicken soup,lots of veg. Part will make Chinese stir fry and got some left deciding what to do.I found 2 bags of the frozen Stir fry veg. Pepper all colours so will make some chicken Sweet and sour. That will then be at least 6 meals frozen. Going to make some Soda Bread as I am low on bread. Have lots of canned milk. Dont need desert. Think have bag cookies in fridge. I only eat certain sweet stuff.
I just feel like if they are now telling us this then it is for a reazon. All these Dr. and Nurses having to work 2 shifts enough reason for me. We have people who come to doctors here in our 2 big place from most of the small towns and villages around us and so  they don't want anyone coming before checking. Have 4 nurses or Dr. will talk to you on phone 24 hours. gave out Tel. numbers. Really handling things good if people listen.  they  Are catching people still in the parks and so have roped the roads off. Say will start giving tickets.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning, Jeanne and Every Buddy looking in this morning.  I have been outside to pick up my paper, but am staying inside.  Our county has Corona Virus and I am avoiding all my neighbors.  I had a nice note from neighbors who live on the other side of our street and they offered to go to the store for me if I needed anything.  However, Tim picked up some things for me a day or so ago and I am good for a while. 

I have plenty of books to read here and won't be going outside except to pick up my mail after the mailman delivers it.  Bill (my oldest son) has sent me several books he thought I would enjoy and I'll be reading them, plus more of the many books I've bought and kept over the years.

I hope Every Buddy is feeling well and is virus free.  Unfortunately Lee County has a lot of cases.  There is none in my neighborhood that I know of, but to be on the safe side, I am not spending time outside of my own yard.

I hope Every Buddy is well and virus free.  Take care and keep us posted.

Sue

Marilyn

I really wish I could read the small light print but  can't. So Sue, Jeanne, Darlene and sometimes Sherry. I am sorry that I do not respond to what you have written. Perhaps I could of it was in bold print I just can not read your posts although I do try.

jane

Good Thursday Morning, Babes!  I think the sun is trying for a quick visit, before the rains of today and tomorrow.  I may try to get a quick walk in.  I really have nothing else planned...may try to reorganize my storage containers.  I tend to just stick them in the cabinet, and then I find they are not organized at all.  You'd think they could do that themselves. :idiot2:   {Can you tell I've been inside too long?} 

They're working across the street from me on some project for the road repaving that's to take place this summer.

Last night we lost power from 1:30 am to 3:30 am.  I don't have a clue why.  In trying to get the time and date on it reset, I somehow pushed the medical alert and they called me immediately to see if I was ok.  Well, now I know that works, though I'm not sure what I pushed to alert them.  They connected me with someone who talked me through resetting it.  I've written it down, so hope I got it straight.   :smiley6600:

Sure can tell things are budding out...sneezing a lot with the windy weather.  AND, it's supposed to finally get to low 60s next week.  Hurrah. I can at least get out and walk around the yard. 

Stay SAFE and HEALTHY!!

jane

maryz

All going well here - doing what we're told.  The staff has been wonderful, helping out whenever and wherever they can.

I got the news yesterday that there is a one-bedroom unit available now. On one hand, I'm sorry, because we lost a very nice lady. But she had been in a skilled care facility for about a monty -- diabetes, dialysis, etc., lots of issues.  Anyhow, I don't know what the timetable will be with the current shutdown. I know the family is going to want to empty her place, but...  I can move in with just what I have now, and worry about other stuff when things are more open

I talked to Kate and Jean this morning. Jean went to Kate's about a week or so ago, and they're both glad that they have some company through this (they both live alone). I haven't talked to Sue or Margaret today.

We are finally having some lovely, non-rainy days - something new and different. Stay well and have a good day, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Mary....HURRAH on your one bedroom opening up for you.  I would think the staff could help with removing the previous tenants things for her family and getting you moved in.  Something nice to look forward to in this time of almost no changes. 

Sue...good idea to "stay in your yard" area with a lot of virus in Auburn.  I assume the U is closed?

I redeemed my EE bonds that had reached the 30 yr limit yesterday. I usually do that in person, but Cheryl told me on the phone how to do it and I put them in an envelope and dropped them off at the drive through and told woman there...a new one...to give to Cheryl.  Personnel at the bank is changing...of course, we'd banked there since moving to town 43 years ago...so guess the personnel age....a bit.... :2funny: ...like us.  Huh!

jane

SharonE

Hi Gals. Marilyn, I thought I was doing better with the font for you. I'll try harder.  Glad you are staying in and safe except for your walks with Freckles.

Jeanne, it would be nice to have someone do my laundry for me, but I would think it way too expensive. I really don't mind laundry too much anyway.

The video gal came today, so we took Bunny and went to the bank to make a deposit and then to the carwash to turn my yellow car back to blue. The pollen is vicious here. Then we took a long drive on the interstate to rev up my car's battery and engine. It gets so little use. Bunny wasn't a happy camper, but she survived. I don't know how soon the pictures will be on line.  My house won't look like my house with all the photos and decorations put away.

Jane, when you get your storage containers organized, please come do mine! They never stay organized.  It is in the 60's today and sunny. If I could walk far, I would. Three or four houses is about it though.

John has agreed to let me order groceries for pick up and isn't going to Lowes where someone came down with it. Maybe he's getting smart in his old age.

I'm resting the rest of the day. I just have no energy and have to force myself to do anything.

Mary, I'm so glad that a one-bed suite has opened up for you. It will give you something to think about and work on during the quarantine--provided they get it cleaned out and ready for you.

Jeanne, I doubt we will move before June, or at least I will be surprised.

Darlene, wish I had had you here to help clean this place before the video. My cleaning girl isn't coming for a while.

Had to laugh at your comment on aging personnel. I certainly feel it.

Stay safe everyone. Sharon

JeanneP

Ijust feel guilty that I am not getting things done that really need it in the house. The glass front cabinets tat have me collections in and even behind glass I can see  need cleaning. Lots of places with things I need to take to the charity should go but I am not driving there. They are really stopping people now that should stay home. Offering seniors to call if they need anything for site and someone will go and get it for them.
MaryZ. Good. That was fast you getting the appt. you wanted.at least moving is not far. I am sure the will help you do it .will be cleaning it up good first.

I meant to walk today. Beautiful out. But got to finishing
A book . Will do twice as much tomorrow . I tell myself
Daughter drove in and stocked what I needed. She is always traveling and is not finding it easy staying home. I gave her 2 good books to read. Also I found two packets of gloves with 50 Pres. In so gave her one. Wanting us to now put something over mouth when outside. 

I just  read ,and enjoyed. the bookshop of yesterday's. New writer Amy Meyerson.

Back no to reading . Have 4 books sitting here . That will pas my time as we are staying in the house.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Jane.
My iPad screen keeps movin over to the right as I am typing and I have to hit enter for it to move down. Not done this before.
JeanneP

jane

Jeanne...When mine acts up, I do a hard shutdown...pressing both the Home Button and the off button...and hold them both down for a few seconds...and let it all regroup. 

A cold front is moving in here...and watching the temp drop and drop and then rain this afternoon. 

I went out...only second time this week to a little frozen foods/bakery we have and got some cottage bacon and Canadien bacon and it felt good to get out.  Owner told me he'd deliver if I couldn't get out...that he was doing that for people who live here in town. 

I saw that about maybe a face covering...and suggestions seem to range from a scarf to mask, etc.  It's hard to know what's the right thing.  I don't sew, but I looked on Etsy and there are lots of different ones for sale there. I haven't bought anything yet. 

I'm looking forward to next week when it's to be much warmer.

jane

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy although it's already 11:00!  I slept late and still haven't cleaned up my kitchen.  I have some containers I need to return to my next door neighbors and I will do that shortly.  I will cover my face with a scarf and will not stay to chat.  I don't have the virus, but am hoping that I don't get it either!

I'll be staying inside the rest of the day.  Fortunately for me Bill has sent me several books I want to read and I'll do that after I get the kitchen cleaned up.  I've been spending most of my days indoors.  Not many people in my neighborhood are out walking, so I might take a short walk in hopes of not seeing anyone.

Auburn has a number of corona virus cases at the local hospital.  They have several nurses standing outside to test people.  Some have to be admitted to the hospital and I think I read that there has been several corona virus deaths.

I hope Every Buddy is well and not exposed to the virus.  Take care and keep us posted.

Sue

SharonE

Jane, I saw a video showing you how to mmake a no-sew mask in 2 minutes. I'm going to find some material to do it. Problem is I gave all my pieces of fabric away when I was cleaning. I tried Publix on-line delivery just now and they will deliver in 5 hours! Only a $5.50 tip for the guy. Otherwise free. May give him more. I'm so glad John agreed to my ordering online.  I haven't been out of the house other than in the car for weeks.

That's all my news. Still don't know when the video will be on line. Probably a week.  Oh a did get a new rollator walker so I could return my  neighbor's for her husbandweek.  Oh a did get a new rollator walker so I could return my  neighbor's for her husband. At night, I really feel I should use one. I ordered this one from Amazon.. At night, I really feel I should use one. I ordered this one from Amazon.

Jeanne, you need to take one project a day. Fortunately, I washed all my crystal bric a brac in the curio cabinet about a month or so ago. Helped me this past week.

Jane, do be careful going out.  Everyone stay safe. Sharon

JeanneP

Not like me but I got a early start today. Had 2 piles of laundry and it is over at the cleaners. Will pick up at 1 Pm . Sopped at the car wash and did my car. Nobody there . Pressure was bad and no soap wash just cold water. It got all that stuff that is falling off trees
I have run out of oatmeal and raisins. Stopped by Aldi but parking lot full. So I just called a coop place and in my sweet voice asked if they had any. Was yes. They ars going ti have it waiting for me at the door at 1:30 after I pick up laundry. The will put in car also. Can't be my independent self these days. I am using gloves. Coming home ,using my nose sprayer that I use for sinus all summer ang gargling in same loqiid. That I use. After I am in for the day.

Stay safe all.
JeanneP

angelface555

Jane, I sent you a PM.

jane

Angel..I saw your requests and I opened the two discussions you asked for.  They're both in Town Talk folder.

Sharon...I saw a quick mask to make with a bandana type square and what looks like two ponytail elastic bands. It's on my Facebook page, if anyone wants to see it. No sewing necessary! Good idea on grocery delivery.  We don't have that here, unfortunately.

Mask folding:  https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2611871869088258&id=100007964100586

Jeanne...Glad you got up and out early.

Sue...you're wise to stay home and be safe.

I got down to the little bakery/froz meats store...nobody else there, so in and out quickly.

Jane

JeanneP

That mask. A great idea. Have to find the rubber bands. Plenty of scarfs.
I picked up my Oatmeal and stuff. Also Laundry. Did a 2 mile walk and now going to try and stay in for days. So many of the older U of Ill students coming back. Want to check their apartments I suppose. they get broken into so much when they are gone. Lot of cars are showing up also.
JeanneP

Cottoncandy

I have been having trouble signing...had to put in username and password....after several try's...finally worked...Jane I would like the directions or pattern to make the face mask....hope all are well. Darlene

alpiner1

maryz

Oh, dear! Alpiner, check back in and let us know that you're okay.  Much damage in your area?

alpiner1

Quote from: maryz on April 04, 2020, 08:12:09 AMOh, dear! Alpiner, check back in and let us know that you're okay.  Much damage in your area?

No damage . It was a little one .

Cottoncandy

Good morning...Jane or anyone that might know....I'm still having to put in my user name and password to get to SF..even though I chooose always stay logged in ??