Random Image

Wise Turtle

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

Jane.
Like me you have followed all the rules. Masked,stayed from being close to people and live alone. Only the computer man has been in the house since April. He was well covered. After he left I cleaned every thing he touched.. I think you will be fine. Been 10 days since  I was with the eye doctor . So ok there.did go in Macy store at the mall the other day witha friend. Saw only 8 people in there. 
We were going to have lunch but after rearing mask for a hour in 80 deg. Had enough.. Other than fast food pickup nothing open here. .just came home. Gave here a pizza I had made from my freezer to take home. There was a problem with her ar so she headed for dealer.
What a exciting life EH!
So cold here . Bet we get a little snow soon
JeanneP

Cottoncandy

[/Hi Buddies...had company last 2 days..now washing sheets...it's about 85 here today..but supposed to turn much colder tomorrow...Jane sorry to read you were exposed to the virus...it's just like Jeanne said we stay home most of the time and are real careful..but sometimes it just happens...hoping and praying you don't get sick but if you do will be a light case..take care..Hi to Mary Sharon ..Any others reading...have a great safe coming weekze]

maryz

jane, sorry you were exposed. Doing the quarantine is not too much different from what you've been doing.  I'd guess you could even walk outside, as long as you stayed away from anybody else.

Darlene, I think our 85* days are finally over. I know they're never completely gone in your part of Texas, but it should be some better.

Glad to see you back in, Jeanne. Glad you're staying in.

Margaret just came by to bring me some more yarn, and other stuff. She also filled the bird feeders. The cardinals really hit them hard - empty them out in about 4-5 days.

Have a good week, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Shirley

FYI.... my gr-daughter was notified she was exposed to someone that tested positive... she had no symptoms but tested positive so self quarantined. Day or two after testing positive her legs "felt funny" so Dr checked & she had blood clots! Put on blood thinners for several months & not allowed to work out during that time. All clear now. SO, moral of that story is "ya never know what might be lurking"...... Strangely, her dog, German Shepherd, has had 2 rounds of "fast growing virus" & had to be put on antibiotics... but the vet did not check her for Covid.  Stay safe.
Lurkey Shirley

Marilyn

Well here I am after not posting only reading for a couple of days. Nothing new here. My friend Jo and I are planning a thanksgiving dinner for the friends we have Friday night dinner with, and our once a month lunch  girls. We are going to a Thai plae tomorrow, Just the 4 of us girls. One will leave as soon as she gets her to to order since she doesn't feel comfortable eating out yet.She won't be co,ing to thanksgiving dinner either.

Jane sorry you got exposed to the Virus.

jane

Good Afternoon from Quarantine Central!   ;D 

Great to see Marilyn, Jeanne, Darlene, Shirley, Mary here.  I hope Sharon and Alpiner are ok, too.

My sister called this morning to check on me...I had my temperature readings ready for her...97.2 last night and 96.7 this morning, so she was happy.

I filled my bird feeders and have to look for a squirrel proof one.  Now's a good time for that sort of thing, I think.
 I ordered some new mock turtle necks from Lands End yesterday since they had a 40% off and free shipping.  I didn't have many/any of those for winter since we were always in Texas for the cold months.  So...new jeans and new mock turtlenecks and my Uggs and I'm ready for winter! :2funny:

It snowed last night and got down to 27.  It's to be colder tonight, etc.

My surgeon's office called and next time I can get in for a mammogram is January 29 and then visit with him (we've been meeting like this for 31 years now! :2funny: ) is Feb. 4.

I hope our world is saner by then.

I finished watching West Wing and I'm amazed how "current" it is...in a sane world, anyway.

I've been told NewsRoom is also good, so will look for that one. 

My neighbors are bringing me some soup tonight and will get me a bag of bird seed I'm going to need with the way these hungry little buggers are eating. 

Take care, Every BUddie, and stay safe and healthy,

jane

maryz

jane, sorry, but there's no such thing as a "squirrel-proof" feeder.  ;)  Is your feeder on a pole? or hanging?  Mine are on a shepherd's crook pole. The best we've come up with is that Margaret smears the vertical pole with Vaseline. It works most of the time, as long as the pole is far enough from a bush/branch/etc. that the squirrel can't reach the pole or jump to the feeder itself.  Good luck.

Marilyn, glad you're getting out with your buddies.

Shirley, sorry your granddaughter's been exposed. I hope she doesn't catch it.

The sun is actually out this afternoon.  We're supposed to get some rain from Zeta later in the week. It's amazing - and awful - that poor Louisiana is getting another hurricane this season. Really tough on those folks.

Jesse and Darby brought Henry by to visit this morning. I just got to talk with them while standing - distanced - outside, but it was fun to see how much he's grown (5 months old now) and getting some personality. And so sweet of them to bring him by to visit.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Jane, I've missed a couple days and didn't know you were exposed. Do you know how? Prayers for no symptoms and a mild case if you have symptoms. So far, we're fine.  We went to the dermatologist's yesterday for our annual ck. He zapped a couple things, but nothing worrisome. As to the squirrel-proof feeder. We found that using a pyramidal baffle and putting the shepherd's crook far away from trees or bushes they can jump from, we didn't have any problems. Leave a little space between the baffle and the bottom of the feeders so they can't reach around it and grab it. We had that happen once, but hung the feeder a couple inches higher and no problem. For suet, get one of the pepper suets. They sell them at Wild Birds Unlimited. If you don't have one, you can probably find it online.  The baffle we got at Lowes, I think.

Marilyn, sounds like you have lots of activities going on. I haven't heard yet whether they are serving a TG dinner here or not. That's the one meal I hate to miss cooking, because we have our own preferences. Lori prepares it the same way I always did, but Melanie and Traecy don't. Melanie had to adapt hers to Korean tastes and Traecy just likes to try out new things. She likes it when she comes here though.

Mary, you are so lucky to see little Henry growing. You have a very thoughtful grandson to bring him by. Thank you for your comment on Braeden's post. He will not be a TV weatherman. He will do the meteorology forecasts for the AF and if he's lucky enough to get assigned to it, he will also predict for the Space Force. They use AF meteorologists. He would like to get into the climate, etc on the planets! That's over my head. Can't imagine it.

Darlene, glad you're getting some cooler weather. The only bad thing about guests is the laundry afterward :).

We were really chilly yesterday in the 60's but up in the 70's now, my preference.  Have you or Jane had any pine siskins yet? Everything I read on bird sites say that they are coming down in droves from Canada this year along with purple finches. Apparently the food source is very poor this year in Canada. I'm so depressed that I can't have a bird feeder where I can see it and where it is away from the trees or roof from the squirrels.

Jeanne, you have been very careful through all this and stayed healthy. I hope it continues.

I am taking Bunny to be groomed at an outside mall this Friday and invited my HH friend to go with me so we could have lunch and maybe check out some stores. It was all very Covid-proofed when I was there 6 weeks ago. I hope it still is. If not, we won't stay. My friend doesn't have a car and doesn't like to take the facility transport, so she's always eager to go out.

I must have received 30 cards for our birthdays. I have 2 tables covered. Will have to take them down soon. It's so nice to be remembered. Many of the cards came from church friends.

Millie is supposed to get out of quarantine today or tomorrow. She never did have any symptoms other than fatigue and a hoarse throat, but even that wasn't serious.  John and I ordered a big fall bouquet for the care center staff and residents in honor of Millie's birthday the 29th and in thanks and gratitude for their good care. We decided she wouldn't see a bouquet in her room much and that we wanted everyone to enjoy it. Hope they do.

No other news here.  I hope everyone stays safe and has a good day. Sharon
Don't know why the font changed from 3 to 1. Weird.

jane

Sharon...Braedan sounds as if he's doing what he enjoys.  I don't know what pine Siskins
Look like but there sure are a lot of birdies at the feeders.

Mary...good to see the little guy as he grows.

I use baffles under the feeders, but the pesky rascals jump above them to the feeder on a pole.  So, I bought a metal feeder that closes with the weight of a squirrel on the edge.  We'll see if it works.  The neighbors have one and like it.  It can be hung or put on the top of a pole. 

Beautiful day here and it warmed nicely.

One week until the election and then we don't have to see all the ads and get the phone calls!

Jane

jane

Morning, Buddies!

Crisp air and sunny today. 

If you haven't returned your ballot, take it to wherever in your state.  Don't trust the mail at this date.

Stay safe and healthy.

Jane

SharonE

We mailed our absentee ballot about a month ago so should be okay.

Jane, glad you found what you think is a solution. I've seen those feeders but didn't know anyone who had them. Sure hope they work.  Pine siskins look a little like a gold finch except the back is striped brown and white and has yellow on the stomach.  Google it for a picture.

I went over to the clubhouse today to get some help with my smartphone. They had a special thing to sign up for and 1 to 1 help. I wanted help learning how to use the google gps. I think I know now. We'll see. I also had a problem with the phone cutting out while I was talking and then coming back on, but wouldn't you know it, we couldn't get it to do it while I was there.

Picked up our mail and got a reminder to get my mammogram, so I'll call ad make an appt when I'm done here.

I had a bad bathroom time this AM and was really upset. Had a lot of cleaning to do. If I don't take fiber, I'm constipated, and if I take too much or add Bran flakes to it, I end up with diarrhea. I've tried everything to get it regulated, but to no avail.  Guess this is TMI, but it was sure a bad start to my morning.

It's rainy and dreary here. Yuck!  Not heavy, just drizzly. Cool too.

Millie gets out of isolation after today for her birthday tomorrow.

Nothing else going on here.  Stay safe everyone. Sharon

jane

Sharon...those kind of starts are so upsetting.  While I was teaching, I had IBS and suffered with that.  My doc suggested metamucil...but in a very small amount of water.  It worked for me.  BUT, each of us is different, and mine was caused by stress, obviously.  I know it affects all parts of our lives.

It's still quite chilly out, and I got out my garbage and my recyclables for tomorrow's pickups. 

Our numbers here in Iowa continue to be high and rising. 

Take care of yourself by staying safe and healthy,

jane

Cottoncandy

Hi Buddies....Very cold here yesterday...today warmer and nice...Jane..I thought you had to mix the Metamucil with a glass of water and drink lots water?are you having any virus symptoms?...Sharon I have had that problem to.....haven't found anything that works very well...Marlyin good to read you are getting our some...Mary I have same problem with squirrels getting into my feeders...Jeanne how are you ?.....Does any one hear from Sue.?..Have good evening

jane

Darlene...what you said is the label recommendation, but I had diarrhea With spasms so doc said a teaspoon of Metamucil in very little water, so the Metamucil would soak up the liquid in my digestive tract.  I think you have to try what may work for you. 

I'm so sick of all the political ads.  There is such distortion of the facts here in Iowa it's sad. 

I tried WalMart's grocery online shopping And pickup.  I ordered yesterday with their app, and picked my pickup time between 11 and noon.  I got a text it was ready at 10:45 am.  I drove over there a little after 11:00, called the number and a young  man brought it out and loaded it into my trunk. Everything I ordered was there.  Easy Peasy!  Perfect for being in quarantine or terrible weather.  I'll use it again!  It's the only place in town to do this.  Our other grocery store doesn't offer anything similar.

Stay safe and healthy,

Jane

maryz

I LOVED WalMart pickup, jane. Never had any problems with it, and never went into the store afterwards. I wasn't buying any fresh food, though (except for pimiento cheese occasionally). My only complaints was that they didn't go home with me and bring it inside.  ;)

The edge of Zeta came though here yesterday and last night - not really any damage here, just lots of rain. And now the sun is out, and the temps are supposed to drop.  My big news is that I got a haircut today - and that always makes me happy.

Hugs to all the Buddies!

SharonE

Hi Gals, it is almost 2 AM. I swear that the night before I have something planned, this happens.  I take Metamucil capsules. Can't stand the slimy mix.

We ate italian tonight at the clubhouse. A nice change. We try to eat there 1-3 times a week, depending on the menu.

John's playing bridge tomorrow AM and my cleaning girl is coming at 12 after I leave at 11, but John will be back by then. I like one of us to be here when she comes, although she seems very trustworthy. After I had the theft of jewelry in HH by a cleaning lady, I'm anxious.

No other news here. Millie is out of quarantine and celebrated her 83rd birthday today.

Stay safe everyone,  Sharon

jane

Sharon...I hope you can get the sleep thing regulated. 

Mary...this way of grocery shopping...with WalMart...is here to stay with me!  I'm so glad this small town finally got it.  People were driving to a WalMart 15 miles away before for the same service.  Come winter here, I know I'll be using it.  I don't buy much fresh...a few veggies, but from the looks of the bacon and bananas they sent, they'll pick well for me.

This morning I'm catching up on my checkbook and paid my car insurance online. I like to do that when I get the invoice so I don't somehow forget.

Our numbers are rising again with Covid.  You probably hear about Iowa, Wisconsin, etc on the news.  How people believe Covid will disappear on Nov. 4 is beyond me. 

Take care, stay safe and healthy!

jane

maryz

jane, I pay all of my bills through my bank (credit union) on line. Actually,  many are automatic payments by the CU. I guess the only things I write actual checks for are gifts, and to pay my income tax. I went from writing lots of checks to writing almost none.

I've heard about the Iowa cases on the news - plus the other states in the upper midWest. Tough stuff.

Sharon, sorry about your sleep problems. That's just NO fun at all.

Marilyn, I read about your fall. I hope all is well, and you're not having any late-appearing problems.

It's been in the 40s here all morning - definitely chilly for this area. No sunshine yet, but it is supposed to clear up and be crisp and cool.

Happy Halloween, Buddies! 

SharonE

Hi Gals, I took Bunny into be groomed and she's still there after 2 or so hours. Not happy about that and I'm sure she isn't either. I took my friend and we went to Bed Bath and Beyond and then to Walmart. We were going to have lunch, but she forgot and bought a special ice cream which wouldn't have lasted. Since Bunny wasn't ready, we came home without eating lunch. Next time she'll know better.

The cleaning girl is here and doing a much better job than the last.

I found the pillowslips I was looking for at BBB. It's hard to find them without the sheets.

Marilyn, I hope your face is better. Be careful. I'm a good example of how fragile we get as we age. OF course, I'm a lot older than you.

I've never grocery shopped at WM, but it does sound convenient. HT & Publix did that, but the software wasn't very user friendly and it was hard to find a sign-up time.  I'm sure I could have spent a lot more time in WM looking for things, but it's just so big and I didn't want to walk anymore.

Jane, I can't believe you've had snow already. It was really, really windy here yesterday from Zeta + some rain. Pretty today and about 64 temp. We're to have cooler weather I think for the next week. When do you get out of quarantine?

Not much going on.  Have a good rest of the day and stay safe.

Tomereader1

We're having a 65 degree day today, with sunshine and blue skies, after almost a week with rain, clouds, drizzle and 40 degree temps. Hurrah!  Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

jane

I didn't know about Marilyn's fall.

Hi, Tome!

Sharon...puppy must have gotten the deluxe spa treatment!

MAry...banking so much easier these days!  Our bank lobby still not open.

Very windy Sat. morning here, but sunny! 

Nothing new except rising numbers for Iowa and our neighbors Wisc and Minn. 

Great nephew Joe, wife Alex, and baby Lochlan called last night.  We had a great phone visit.  Lochlan  will be a Holstein cow for Halloween.  Big surprise with two veterinarians for parents and Dad specializes in dairy cows with a blog called the MoosRoom! 

I'll be watching football, I guess, today.

Stay safe and healthy,

Jane

Cottoncandy

Good morning...happy Haloween..don't think there will be many trick or treaters in my neighborhood..Jane are you still not showing any covid symptoms...like you I didn't know Marlyin had fell..Sharon I'm taking Benifiber ...2 tsp in cup of coffee or any drink..stir well can't even taste it..not slimy...Mary I've not tried we groc pickup..a good option..Shirley if you are looking in hope you are feeling better with no complications...I'm alone also...kinda scary..but know God will send help as needed..Hi to Jeanne and Marlyin..I just finished my walk now enjoying a glass of Gatorade...be safe all and have good weekend

jane

Nope, Darlene...no symptoms...just allergy stuff.  I take my temp every morning...in the 97 range, so all is good.

Cottoncandy

Awesome Jane.......

jane

I did get out for a walk...in the low 60s and very windy but I thought the fresh air would do me good.  Nobody out walking, though I took a mask just in case.  I did see a beautiful Bald Eagle soaring on the winds.  They are so graceful while soaring for such a big bird. 

It felt good getting out.  I also washed the new mock turtlenecks I bought from LandsEnd.  I sure don't have much to wash with just being at home and wearing light sweats all the time.

It looks like dark clouds are moving in. 

I see England is going back to lockdown their numbers are so high.

jane

SharonE

Jane, so glad you've stayed symptom free! Nice that you had such a nice phone chat with family last night.  No trick or treaters here, however our church had a trunk or treat, but we didn't participate. I didn't know that England locked down but knew France did yesterday. So scary.

I did lots of laundry yesterday. Yuck, but not a lot else.

Nice to get an extra hour sleep this AM.

Bunny looks super and they said she was fine and loose most of the time. I hate them to be caged.

I need to go eat. My time schedule is off with sleeping late.

Very chilly here--low 60's but the sun has come out, so may be able to go on a long walkie to the lake with Bunny & John.

Was everyone else devastated to learn that Sean Connery passed? I loved his 007 films. Never did like the replacement actors after he stopped.

Hi to everyone. Stay safe. Sharon

jane

Sharon..YEP, Sean WAS 007...the one and only for me, too.

I called Ray's oldest and only remaining sister today.  She was in a chatty mood...over an hour on the phone.  Mostly about her children and grands and the election. 

Still very cold and windy here (40s)

Jane

Tomereader1

I fell in love with Sean Connery the moment he came up out of the ocean in that swimsuit, as 007. Never was another James Bond for me. I also loved ALL of his other movies. Anybody that hasn't seen "Finding Forrester" is missing a good one.The one with him as a researcher in the Jungle is also great. That beautiful Scottish burr was music to my ears. RIP Sir Sean.

jane

Chilly and windy here again.  Most of the leaves are off the trees on my street...and in MY yard, I think.  ;D

Nothing new or exciting here...in my second week of quarantine, but it's really just like any other week since this virus thing started.  I'm digging through my freezer and getting stuff out and used that's been there for these kinds of "emergencies." 

I'm expecting delivery of this "squirrel proof" bird feeder today and have the shepherd's hook with baffle all set for it.  I sure hope it works.  I also had a hanging suet feeder, but I can't find that darn thing in Ray's shop.  Guess I'll splurge and get a new one on my next WalMart order.   :2funny:

Take care, stay safe and healthy,

jane

maryz

jane, good luck finding your suet feeder. I've got a set of crochet hooks that has gone missing in this apartment. Like Margaret says, the surest way to find anything is to buy a replacement.  :thumbup:

It's a gorgeous, chilly day today. It was down to 28 this morning, with all the warnings out for a freeze last night. This is about the right time for the first killing freeze in our area. Of course, it's supposed to be back with highs around 70 later in the week. Just about the usual.

Nothing interesting scheduled here for this week - except for another visit from my niece and grand-niece. They're on their way back to California and will have spent the night with Margaret before they come here. Such a treat to see them, since I don't get to see them very often.

I certainly agree about Sean Connery - definitely a favorite!

Hugs to all the Buddies!