Random Image

My Grand Kids and Fe with her dad

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:24:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryPage

Yes, he was, Jane.  I find stories about the youngest of my great grandchildren are the thing that keep me alive and celebrating.  Each is my favorite.  Each is the dearest thing in this whole wide world.  I beg my children for the latest chapters of their little lives they can relate to me.  Yes, they are the fuel for my furnace.

Mary, did you have 2 valves put in at one time, or one valve each at two different times?

Two of my 13 granddaughters are nurses, as is my daughter Anne,  Both Joanna and Tracy have emailed (I do not do FaceBook and dislike the telephone now that I have loss of breath) to cheer me on and each recommends I will heal faster and be more comfortable if I have cardiac rehab.  Mary?

Sandy Dapph has emailed, as well and all, and I sent her back a regular encyclopedia she will be reading until a week from next Wednesday.  Might as well not waste all that brain-burning; so here is some of it:

They did an "Evaluation" at the hospital this past week.  My takeaway is a badly purpled groin area just where my uppermost right thigh attaches to my torso.  It is also both stiff and in a pricking sort of way, painful in just a reminding manner.  It also has some red and some yellow splashed around it.  This is where they went into a vein and went all the way up to my heart and found there is no barrier whatsoever.  "Clear!", they called; and I knew they would agree to this life-saving procedure.  Whoopee!  The old crone is not to have her high hopes for having her all-family 100th birthday party in 2029  dashed at this time.

They still won't let you sleep.  Just like every other hospital world-wide, they are determined to wear you down and tire you out.  You would think, from their outrageous behavior, that Midnight were High Noon!

As for the race to ruin MaryPage's hours of sleep, this is what took place:

I put my lights out and my head on my pillow at about five minutes to nine.  Exhausted.  Exhilarated.  And went promptly to sleep.

To be awakened approximately half an hour later.  Someone wanted to take my "vitals."  That was done less than an hour ago, I growled.  Yes, but we have to do it again.

This went on at ten and ten thirty.  I was ready to kill.  At eleven, a very tidy woman I had never seen before came in to go over breathing methods with me.  I told her she HAD to be kidding.  At eleven-thirty there were two of these jokers.  At Midnight I lost it.  My voice rose as I accused them of having me on.  Of being a posse to dispossess me of my sleeptime.  I told them, as two more joined the two already in the room, followed shortly by two more, and now there were six (6!), that they were to get out and leave me to sleep until morning, or I would pick up the phone and call Administration and file a complaint immediately.  The nurse in charge, a male, changed expression and begged me not to do that.  I lifted my arm imperiously, pointing to the door, and yelled:  "Get Out!  Get out, shut the door behind you, and Do Not Disturb me again!"

They couldn't leave fast enough.  My door shut behind them.  I put my precious head down on my pillows and fell fast asleep.  The shift changed at 7:00 A.M., so they had to come in at six-thirty to take those damn vitals.  I let them.  End of story.

Moral of story?  You need not be yanked around just because you are an ancient being of ninety-two.  Assert yourself.  Be the Authority.  Manage to get what you need.

maryz

MaryPage, I had both done at the same time - surgically. At the time, doing the two I had replaced through the vein approach had not been approved by the CDC. I don't know if it has now or not. The surgery was only about two weeks after I had first been told that I needed such a procedure. When I left the hospital, I did about 10 days of inpatient rehab at the great rehab facility in Chattanooga. After discharge from there, it was highly recommended to do outpatient rehab through the cardiac/hospital program, but then I moved to Margaret's house - then Morning Pointe, so never had that avaiable. I would probably have done it had I stayed in Chattanooga.

I had to laugh at your tale of getting people out of your room in the middle of the night. In the rehab hospital, they usually came by about 3:30 am to take blood every day. I grumbled, but after the first two times, I realized the phlebotomist (a young man) was SO good, that I didn't even fully wake up when he came around. I became aware that he was there stuck out my arm, and he did the deed, and headed back out.  ;)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Marilyn, I'm sorry about the stress test. What does that mean they will have to do? Take care of yourself.

Mary Page, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing at you telling the group of nurses or whoever to get out!  Way to go! I'm glad you have your surgery scheduled so soon. Prayers are with you.  As for you great grandson, what a brave little boy he is.  Precious. I hope he heals quickly.

Jane, I think we're to have rain tomorrow too. I didn't have any problem with the booster either other than the sore arm.

Don't know if I told you or not, but I got a rail planter for my balcony and planted a flat of pansies in it. It is right in front of the sliding glass doors and where I will be able to see them all winter. So pretty! And the deer can't get them!

Other than that, nothing new here. Oops forgot, Melanie's husband went in for an emergency appendectomy yesterday and due to the infection and all is still in the hospital, but should go home tomorrow.

Hi to all. Stay well.  Sharon

maryz

Sharon, sorry about your son-in-law's surgery, but glad he's doing okay.  Your pansies look lovely (on FB), but don't bet the deer won't try to get up on the deck to chew on them. I've seen that happen.  ;D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Way to go MaryPage!!

My brother-in-law had a valve replaced by the vein method...much easier recovery than the open heart method.

Sharon...I had my emergency appy removed in the fall, too.  When I checked in for surgery later that night, the nurse said I was the 3rd appy to come in that night.  Apparently fall is big for appendectomies.   :2funny: Who knew they had a "season."  haha

The idea of winter pansies I no longer see.  I only saw them when we went to Texas for the winter.  Here there are no "flowers" for winter.  It was 28 the other morning and it'll get a lot colder before it warms up again.   ;D

This very rural county is still only 57% vaccinated.  AAAAGGGGHHHH!!

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

Marilyn

Good Morning Buddies. All is well here, We haven't floated away yet. LOL The rains are  horrible, at least here where we live there won't be any floods. Just a very high surf.

I hope you are doing well after your procedure MarPage I would have loved to see the look on their faces when you told them to
"Get Out"

I have to schedule booster shots for Keith and I to get the Moderna Booster

jane

Marilyn...thanks for checking in...weather for your part of the west coast looks beyond awful.

Alpiner...I think you're in southern CA, so hope you're all safe and dry.

It was sunny this morning so I got out to take care of some things I'd been thinking about.  I decided to switch my prescriptions from WalMart to a local drugstore.  I'm tired to WalMart not getting my 'scripts from my medical person and then the long wait lines to get refills, etc.  I used to get all my 'scripts at this local pharmacy before we started going to TX.  It was so much easier to get refills down there with a WalMart provider, but I don't need to worry about that anymore. 

I also stopped at the favorite "pub" for my lunch. 

Take care and stay safe,

jane

alpiner1

Jane.....So far today it is cloudy with light showers expected this evening .   The weather report says we will get less then an inch of rain .

MaryPage

i sallied forth today and got my Moderna booster shot.

Then Chip drove me to our Hallmark store, where I picked up their mini train ornament for 2021.  I collect them, and not for my small tree.  I put them around the tree.  They are beautifully done miniatures of real locomotives and cars.  Some years they have 3 pieces, some 2, and some only 1.  This years has three.

Then just down the walk in the same shopping center to visit Fresh Market, one of my favorite places in this world.  Among other goodies, I bought one of their roast chickens, as they make the best in town, a pint of their lobster bisque (to have on toast and feel certain I shall die happy) and a container of roasted garlic cheddar spread.  Debi is going to take Chip to BWI Wednesday evening to fly to Seattle to go to a Halloween party with a friend.  Seriously.  He will be gone a week.  Debi wants to come by every day, but I have told her that won't do; she must only interfere with my life every Other day.  I can gorge on the garlic on that day I am left alone!

I then picked up a Greek salad at a Greek restaurant; Chip brought home a lamb kabob.

My nurse daughter, Anne, called the hospital I have to go to for a Pre-Op on the 3rd to ask if it can possibly be done by phone and since I just spent 2 days & 1 night there.  Anne is my signed and sealed medical authority.  They had her name, so it went well, but they MUST see me for about 16 reasons on the 3rd.  Oh well.  Until then, I am going to try to stay home and enjoy life.

For those of you who enjoyed the mental picture of me telling the six staff members to "get out", believe me when I say that No one enjoyed that more than I.

It started raining here about ten minutes ago, and is supposed to continue all night.  I plan to watch DUNE on HBOMAX tonight.  I read and adored the book, albeit I only remember now that there was lots of sand.  A planet covered in sand.  I also watched the previous movie, eons ago, and only remember there was lots of sand.  I sort of sense I enjoyed it, but felt it was no where near as good as the book.

Have a happy evening, followed by sweet dreams.

jane

Alpiner...thanks for letting us know you're ok with that weird west coast weather.  I was watching the SF football game last night and it was a mess.

MaryPage...good for you getting out to a couple of your fav shops.  There aren't any Hallmark stores here anymore. 

jane

jane

Morning, Buddies!

It's a lovely morning here...low 40s..and sunshine.  I did a short walk this morning, and did some chores...throwing away old hose from another life!  The last time I wore panty hose was for Ray's visitation and then funeral. 

I did find some cuddle duds that will be comfy when the snow is flying. 

Nothing exciting here.  Rains to return Wed-Fri. 

Take care and stay healthy,

Jane

patricia19

Good morning, Jane! We had a quarter-inch of snow yesterday that at least covered the ice. And we're expecting snow this evening, another quarter to half an inch. Many do not realize about the Arctic that it has to warm up to gain enough humidity for snow. For an area covered in forest and surrounded by various types of waters, it is dry here.

There is nothing pressing today; the construction crews have finished the various balconies, windows, and sliding glass doors on all five floors. So we're good for another twenty years. I've also used the time in returning everything to their places in trashing and donating most of the items long stashed in the back corners or the back of closets now if it would only remain this way.

jane

I am spending the afternoon in the car dealership while they fix a recall. It turns out to be a half day procedure.  So, a service rep took me to subway to grab some lunch I'm eating in their "customer lounge."  Yet, I now see my car being pulled into the parking lot.  Hopefully, they're done with it.

Cottoncandy

Hi everyone....just checking in...we have cooler temps today...but the wind is blowing like crazy....Jane I dislike having to take my vehicle in....always a long wait so it seems..I got my flu shot yesterday..arm a little sore..that's all...Mary P will be praying for good results on your ...procedure....Hi Sharon Marlyin...and others reading...hope all are well ...2021 almost gone...hoping for better times ahead.....CC

SharonE

Hi Gals, nothing much going on here. Weather is really chilly and supposed to rain most of tomorrow, which we need badly. I actually wore a quilted jacket when I took Bunny for her walk at lunch. My cleaning girl came late today and is still working!

Sangmin is home and doing okay, but not doing any jigs. On a no fiber diet.

I played bridge yesterday and actually won for our table. It had been a while.

Mary Page, carry your cell phone with you all the time you are alone, just in case of a problem. I have a pouch that fits on my waist band that holds mine and I put it on first thing in the morning and take it off when I get ready for bed.  We have alarm cords in the baths and bedrooms, but if you're not in there, that's not much help. Sounds like you will be eating well anyway.

Jane, I agree that it makes better sense to use a local pharmacy rather than to trek into WM.

Mary, unless the deer around here have Rudolph genes, they won't get my pansies. They are about 10 feet above ground level on the balcony rail. The land falls away down to a woods behind us, but is level in front. I haven't seen any deer for a while. I think they stayed deep in the woods during this hot summer. I hope they will be coming out more now.

Marilyn, it seems like the West Coast has too much or too little rain, but at least the rain put out one of the big forest fires.

Patricia, I don't envy you your snow. It's pretty to look at from inside, but I no longer want to deal with it. I used to love it, but not now.

Hi Darlene, good to see your post.

Have a nice evening, everyone. Sharon

MaryPage

Thank you, Ceci.  I appreciate the promise of your prayers more than you can possibly imagine.

Hey, Sharon; how I would love the enjoyment of a good Bridge afternoon.  I think it has been at least three, if not four, years since I've played.  Being deaf is my chief handicap, but being a whole generation older than anyone there makes me stand out in a way I do not enjoy.  And let's face it, I do not have a brain that can evaluate what's going on, or possibly is going on, to my left, to my right, and in my partner's mind and hand, any longer  No one in my family around here plays, so I cannot command a just for fun pickup game.  Oh well.  In addition to my 3-table club, I had my Wednesday Night one.  Thirty years we played and laughed and scratched and hollered.  Doris and Jane and Carole (I nicknamed her Magnolia, and have called her that forever now) and me.  Jane and Doris are both dead.  Magnolia hangs on back in Virginia, and I am here.  Funny thing, but I was the oldest by a couple of years, while Magnolia was the youngster, being 4 years younger than I.  We talk on the phone, or did until I began to suffer from lack of air while going through the exercise of speaking./color]

jane

Tis a dreary, blustery, cold, rainy day here in Iowa.  And, I'm in slug mood.

I was annoyed when I found the Hallmark channels I get have gone "all Christmas 24/7."  I think starting in mid Oct is a bit too much for me.

Thankfully, I checked Amazon Prime video that Don and Patricia share with me, along with Netflix, and found my favorite "Mr. Monk" and I think all 8 seasons.  So I'm slowly working my way through that series. 

I was SO annoyed with the dealership's "service reps" yesterday.  The guy first said they didn't have the part...it had to be ordered.  Yes, I said...I did that.  Your people called Tuesday and said it was in and set this time for the installation.  No, he says, no parts have come in.  SOOO...who called me?  Hmmm, well, he'd go check and let me know and showed me to the customer lounge.  An hour  and a half later, I went back out...oh, what was my name...oh, yes, they had the part...but did I understand it was a half-day deal?  No, but I'm here, so do it.  At this point, I was VERY close to going back to my "teacher voice" ...the one that says "I've had it with your foolishness. DON'T mess with me."  It's VERY closely related to MaryPage's "hospital voice that also says..."I've had it with your foolishness. DON'T mess with me." :)

I got out before that "half day" business, and then went to two large grocery stores there in pursuit of ultrapasturized skimmed milk.  Nope...neither had any.  Another "supply chain" shortage, I'm sure they'd say. 

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

SharonE

Jane, you must have been really fuming by the time you got out of the car place. It sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing and that's not the way to run a business. I'm afraid my teacher voice would definitely have come out.

Mary Page, it's too bad you can't play bridge anymore. I play with several ladies who are 90+ and do a good job of it. Of course deafness does hinder things. I wish we would get some duplicate bidding boxes to use. It would be much easier for some of the ladies.

I just got a surprise call from one of my old bridge group ladies in Carolina Lakes. She invited me to the annual Christmas luncheon with the girls. If they need a sub, she will call me back and I'll play bridge with them too. It will be so fun to see everyone again.

The vampire came by to draw blood and wouldn't you know, he was a relative novice and after 3 sticks couldn't get any blood, so his boss will have to come at another time.

It's very chilly, but so far no rain. I hope it comes after dinner.

John's sister's birthday is tomorrow. She will be 84. There's only 11 1/2 months between them, so they are called the Irish twins. We sent flowers to the assisted living for all to enjoy.

No other news here. Stay dry and safe. Sharon

MaryPage

Now you've got me curious, Jane.  What is Ultrapasturized skim milk?  And why did you want some?

maryz

Sorry I've been AWOL for a few days. Nothing much to say, I guess.  I have had a bad bout of back pain - maybe sciatica, but no leg radiation. Anyhow, it's much better now.  I got my lab work done last week, and had an appointment with the PA this morning. All my labs are good, fortunately. So that's a good thing. Also, Margaret has decided that we need to get me a wheelchair, just to have for times when I might need to be "up and around" for some period of time (like to Paul's wedding in December). The PA gave me a prescription for a wheelchair, so my insurance will help pay for me. I think we'll go check one out tomorrow when I'm out for my mani/pedi/haircut.

NaryPage, I miss playing bridge, too. I haven't really played since I left Chattanooga. I guess I could play online, but I just haven't gotten into that.

The ultrapasteurized milk (if this is what jane meant), is in a box and shelf-stored. I used to keep some on the shelf for when we got back from a trip and wanted to have milk and didn't want to go to the store. Then I discovered that milk could be frozen, and I kept a quart or two of milk in the freezer for such times.

Love those "teacher voices"! I was never a teacher, but I surely could pull out the "mother of four girls voice" when it was called for.

Sharon, I didn't know your deck was up so high. I've seen deer climb up steps onto a deck to chomp on the flowers.

Glad Marilyn and alpiner on the west coast are okay with all their intense weather. Glad those mountains out there are getting lots of snow, though. I know California really needs the moisture that comes from that snow pack.

We had our Residents' meeting this afternoon. Plans are underway for us to get our booster shots in-house. It'll probably be in a couple of weeks.

jane

Mary....check on "transfer chairs"...it's what I bought from Amazon for Ray.  You need someone to push it...it doesn't have the big wheels for the rider to use, so it's lighter and folds up easily.  I could manage it for everywhere I had to take him.I think I paid $200 .  It was a Drive, popular name in medical equipment.  His oncologist wanted to know all about it, and took down info so he could get one for his Mom who he said had trouble walking distances.  I hope your back gets better.

MaryPage... "Ultra-pasteurized milk lasts three times longer than HTST processed milk because the higher temperature not only kills the usual suspects like E. Coli and salmonella, but UHT kills all other non-pathogenic bacteria that can cause spoilage, too. ... Pasteurization is just one step in our long food safety checklist.May 10, 2019".  I didn't know it didn't need to be refrigerated until it was opened.  What I buy is in the dairy case, and I no longer worry about spoiled milk.  My great nephew and wife who are both vets say it's the milk used in making cheese.  What I bought two weeks ago has a use by date of November 24!   I use it for my chai lattes I make here at home these cold days.

Stay safe and healthy,

Jane

maryz

jane, thanks for the info. The milk I got was the UHT milk, and it was on the shelves at the store. Obviously you've got something newer and different from what I had. Interesting.

Margaret's been researching the chairs. She had the "big wheel" chair when her husband needed one and had no trouble with it. And she's talked with Sue (our oldest who works in a doctor's office) who says the big wheel one is much easier to maneuver, and that's what she recommends. I could probably do some maneuvering of myself in that, too. One main consideration is (sorry) the size of my butt - it won't fit in the standard 18" wide one. In any case, we're probably going to pay a bit more, but buy from a local medical equipment dealer where we can try it out and get service/exchange if needed. I'll keep you posted.

p.s. My walker is a "Drive" brand.

alpiner1

We didn't get much rain , still quite dry .  Yesterday it was 82F . 

MaryPage

What a storm!  I'm wondering if it has a name.  It looks like a normal storm from the kitchen deck region, but the bayside deck is soaking sopping wet, I cannot see the Eastern Shore or the Bay Bridges!  The Chesapeake Bay is as rough as I have ever seen it these twenty years past.  Dark grey with huge white caps ALL THE WAY ACROSS it!  The rollers are so large, when they run along and curl under they roll along as though you had reached into your fridge for a roll of dough and had put it on your wooden plank and unfolded it into a sheet of dough.  I have never seen this before in my life, but those foaming white rollers out there on the bay are unfolding before my eyes into gigantic more than king sized white sheets.  UNbelievable.  This is going to be an interesting day.  I am glad the President got out of town and away from it.  Debi reports their pier is bouncing up and down, as are all the neighboring piers as far as they can see.  I'll report in later, if we still have power.  Mary, check with Alison.  If she is in Edgewater, which is where Debi lives, she may wind up trapped there by the water.  I hope she stayed home today.

jane

Mary...sounds as if you've gotten good advice on the wheelchair you need.   

MaryPage...It sounds like the n'oreaster..or whatever they're calling this is a huge one.
 Stay safe.

Another Nov. type day here...overcast, drizzle, and windy.  I made a run to WalMart since they'd gotten in the milk I wanted and I'm home for the rest of the day...until 5:30 when our Fri group...now "Gary and his Harem...3 women and Gary...go for Chinese food tonight.

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

Marilyn

Good Morning Buddies! I really haven't been AWOL, just didn't post anything, I was here readin all your news.

I am going to lunch with Jeannie today then we are going to Eureka to return her slippers and get another pair. Keith will stay at home.

We will get our booster shots on Monday,  although it won't be the Moderna it will be the Phizer boster. Mix and Match!! WE had the Moderna before. I take him to the Doctor on Tuesday.

That's about all the news from here. Now it is time to take  Freckles and Mille out for the first walk of the day.

jane

Marilyn...good to hear you and Jeannie can go out to lunch and a bit of shopping/returning.  It sounds as if your heart and Freckles are both good and up to walking again.  Good news :)

jane

maryz

Marilyn, glad you're getting your boosters and getting Keith to the doctor.

MaryPage, Alison lives on Jackson St., but I don't know how that relates to the water. I assume the area around the harbor where we went to walk and eat breakfast is part of the area that has flooded. Definitely scary. Hope your daughter (and you) are dry.

I got my haircut/mani/pedi this morning (YEA!), and ordered a wheelchair. We went to the little supply store in my small town. I tried one out, and he figured out what size I'll need. We filled out paperwork and they're going to order it. He said it should be in sometime next week.

Stay warm and dry, Buddies! (except alpiner and maybe Darlene - they need to stay cool.)

jane

Hurrah, Mary, on getting all "duded up"...haircut, nails and so all glamorous for a few weeks.  And the wheel chair is ordered.

Beautiful day here...and weatherguessers say probably last good day to "button up for winter"...so all of the things we Northerners need to do before the cold and snow...people with ponds/water features, etc. need to winterize those, and get hoses disconnected from house and outside water turned off inside the house and drain the lines, etc.  And, of course dump any outside flowers, etc.  I did those things when Patricia was here several weeks ago, so I'm in good shape and "buttoned down." :smiley6600: 

I drove down to one grocery store for one things...and you know what happened...came home with a bag full of "stuff" I didn't know I needed.   :coolsmiley:

Maybe this afternoon, I'll try a bit of a walk, once the kinks and creakies work their way out.

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

MaryPage

I just sent off a newish book about the great Johnstown Flood to my granddaughter Melissa & her family.  And then it occurred to me that it might be fun for you to be told of a piece of American History that has no room in the textbooks of today, and therefore is unknown to other than true Historians.

Once upon a time, it was splashing the headlines and taking up pages and pages of information on every newspaper in the nation.  Really!

The latest of many, many books; I could not possibly tell you how many, albeit either a Search on line or a call to the Archives might give me a ballpark number, books have been written about the flood in Johnstown, Pennsylvania.  Al Roker has penned this latest one, the one I just sent Melissa.

Back in the 19th century, my great grandmother lived out in "The Dakotas" with her Army Officer husband and three little girls.  There were not many ways to travel.  Scratch cars.  Scratch aircraft.  My great grandmother had to travel by train to Washington, D.C. to visit her family.

When the four got to Johnstown, a transfer to another train was required.  She found the train, and got on early.  She had a compartment, and she proceeded to get the 3 little ones settled in bed for the night.

The conductor then showed up.  "Madam," said he: "You are on the Wrong Train!  This is the first one leaving for Washington.  Your tickets are for the Second, which leaves much later!

My great grandmother was NOTHING if not imperious!  She wasn't budging.  She explained her children were settled in for the night, and she was not leaving that train.

And he could not budge her.  She stayed put.  And in my family, we all thank god!  Not a one of us would be here, had she gotten on that 2nd train!

The First one took off and traveled all the way to D.C.  My great grandmother and my small grandmother and her sisters had a lovely long visit with relatives.

The 2nd train took off, but only got as far as the bridge over the river in Johnstown, Pennsylvania.  The flood waters came down and swept the whole train and everyone aboard into those dreadful waters.

Way back then, that flood had its genesis in the "Follow The Money" rule of thumb by which this nation has always been run.  But I am grateful to know that you would not be saying "Hi, MaryPage" if my great grandmother had not refused to pull her little girls out of bed that night!