Random Image

keani

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:18:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

Good late morning from a chill Interior at minus 26 degrees and both a wind chill and a stage 2 air quality alert. Ironically, we have perfect air quality  99.8 % in the summer, barring forest fire smoke and yet so many winter issues.

maryz

Marilyn, glad you're getting back to your singing. And, as we've said before, being close to family.

patricia, I understand what you say about your weather, but BRRRR!  :thumbup:

Like jane and Sharon have said, it's this roller-coaster stuff that's hard on the body.

Nothing exciting going on around here. A bunch of our residents have had some reaction to the booster shot. Nothing too serious, but definitely some body aches and pains. I'm glad I have only some site soreness.

Happy Weekend, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Afternoon, Buddies!

I went to Cedar Rapids with our Friday night group for brunch at a Granite City restaurant there.  It's a buffet and the food was good and hot!  They were quite busy, but we had no wait.  Their "gimmick" is homemade cinnamon buns that they bring to the table...one for each person...included in the cost of the buffet.  Then our waiter brough boxes...I needed one for my roll that I didn't eat there...and here he had two extra buns in each box!   So, I have three for this coming week.  I think I'll wrap them and freeze them for a treat later on. 

Tomorrow morning I'm getting a haircut and that and T'giving are the events of the week.  I ordered a pumpkin pie to take to Kathy's at T'giving.  That's probably my favorite pie.

Nothing else going on here...just so windy again...out of the north now. 

Stay safe and healthy,

jane

patricia19

Good afternoon from a chilly Interior with colder expectations,   

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM AKST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Cold wind chills expected. Blowing snow and low visibilities over summits also expected. Wind chills as low as 50 below zero expected. Expect difficult travel conditions.

* WHERE...North and East of Fairbanks.

* WHEN...Until 7 AM Tuesday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Winds gusting as high as 35 mph will cause areas of blowing and drifting snow over summits north and east of Fairbanks. Cold wind chills as low as 50 below zero will cause frostbite in as little as 10 minutes to exposed skin. The coldest wind chills will be Monday morning over Steese Highway summits.

maryz

patricia, you certainly know how to make us appreciate our Monday high of +40*!  ;D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

patricia19

Mary, I do my best!  :)  :thumbup:

MaryPage

Marilyn, it makes such a happy note (pun intended) to hear about your singing.

Jane, what a fun outing.  And I adore cinnamon buns.  I like the nice high fluffy ones.  We used to have a restaurant here (one of those that died during Covid) that served complimentary popovers.  Now, I have loved a hot popover slathered with melted butter more than almost anything in this world for most of my life.

You know, there are So many things that just don't get made much anymore, but were common in my childhood and young adulthood.  Popovers, Spoon Bread, Souffles (cheese souffle is my favorite), lobster Newberg, and I could go on and on.

My son Chip is very sick (Diabetes) and that is wearing and worrying.  I went (Debi picked me up and accompanied me and brought me home) for my final heart checkup this morning and they were Very Pleased.  The healing is going very well and the heart sounds good.  Blood Pressure still high.

Happy Feasting to each and all. 

Cottoncandy

Hi Buddies....want to wish everybody a wonderful blessed Thanksgiving.....have kids coming Thurs....so may not get another chance to post....stay safe and well....

maryz

Darlene, Happy Thanksgiving to you! Have a wonderful time with your family.

MaryPage, sorry that Chip is having problems. I hope they resolve soon. But wonderful news from your heart team.  Keep up the good work.

It'll be a quiet week for me until Saturday. Margaret has gone to Kentucky to spend a couple of dayws with Kate and Jean. Then she'll come home to cook and get ready for our Thanksgiving on Saturday.

Stay warm, Buddies!

SharonE

Hi Gals, I'm waiting for transport to the center. John is having a nuclear stress test and so has the car. It is 40 here too. I may give up and walk. It's been so long since he was supposed to be here.

Marilyn, I'm glad your singing went well and hope your ankle is doing better now. The blackberry wine sounds delicious though I've never had any.  Hope you have a wonderful TG. I hope people will pitch in and help you so that you won't have to be on your feet too much.

Patricia, I can't imagine that kind of weather, nor do I want to. To each his own I guess.

I had Bunny groomed yesterday and had to put a heavy doggy coat on her for her walk.  I did a Walmart stop while I was at the mall and got stocked up on cards.

Mary, have a nice quiet TG day with us and and nicer one with Margaret on Sat.

Jane, the cinnamon rolls sound scrumptious! our HS used to make them on chili day and everyone loved them. The Lions Club used to have them make them for a fund-raising project which was wonderful.

MP, glad to hear that all is going well for you. Sorry about son's diabetes. That is a nasty disease.

If I'm not back in before then, HAPPY AND BLESSED THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE! 

Sharon

patricia19

Sharon, yes, it is horrid weather, but fortunately, it rarely lasts more than a day or two, and the unspoiled wilderness and summer's 24/7 daylight and sun makes up for it.

I do not understand that people choose to live in places ravaged by repeated long-ranging wildfires or in an area with tornados.

alpiner1

Thanksgiving day there is a forecast  of wind from the desert & possibly the electricity could be shut off !!  Our home is all electric  so that means no roasted turkey or other hot food .

jane

Good Day before the BIG TURKEY DAY!
 Patricia...I love hearing about your weather.  I'm one of a very small group who loves winter. 

Alpiner...I hope you don't lose power and that you  have access to a generator.

Sharon...Bunny all spiffed up for Turkey Day!

Maryz...have a great Sat. with your family.

Darlene...you also enjoy your day with your kids.

MaryPage...I'm sorry to hear Chip is having problems with his diabetes.  I know what we went through with Ray's numbers, esp. when he was taking chemo weekly.  I did his shots since his hands were too shaky. 

I got out this morning to pick up a few things for after T'giving and stopped by for the pie I'd ordered.  They'd called at 8:20 am that it was ready.  They had pies everywhere...all counters and a couple racks were full.  AND, the lady who took my money said Kay, the baker, still had 80 to do. 

Soooo...apparently a lot of others in town also don't bake when they can order! :2funny:

Have a great Thanksgiving and stay safe and healthy!

jane

patricia19

Good morning everyone. Jane, I believe those expressing dismay at hot or wet climates similar to my mother-in-law, who thought we all must live underground in Alaska, are seeing through the lens of a dry or wet climate. A good example is that in a wet climate, the rain or cold sinks in. In a dry climate, it doesn't. Think of the differences between Arizona, a dry climate, and Louisana, or Tennessee, wet climates.

jane

Patricia...I had not thought of wet or dry, but I'm again one who couldn't take either extreme.   :uglystupid2:

MaryPage

Patricia, when we lived in Louisiana, we could not keep our shoes or luggage or ANYTHING leather on the floor of the closets.  If we made that mistake, the leather would MILDEW overnight, I swear!  Now, I call That wet!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EACH & EVERY ONE!!

maryz

When I grew up in Houston, before the advent of universal air conditioning, EVVERYTHING mildewed.  Just like MaryPage said. I remember we went to John's parents for a weekend, and when we got home, even upholstered furniture and the gasket on the refrigerator door was mildewed. Obviously this made a strong impression - since it was in 1959!

MaryPage

Wow, Mary!  You beat me all to bits!  We were living in a town called Bunkie, which was North of Baton Rouge and just South of Alexandria.  Daddy was, very temporarily, stationed at Camp Claiborne, which I believe was a World War II camp only.  It was early 1945, and definitely no air conditioning.

patricia19

Now, that was what I meant that the temperatures felt colder in a wet climate than in a dry environment. Or that our 20 below zero was similar to 40 above with rain in a damp climate.

On the opposite, you can tell when winter is approaching here because static electricity becomes worse; you start doubling up on your lotions. And while there isn't redness, your arms feel slightly sunburned.

I have only been in Lousiana in a drive-through to visit New Orleans during Mardi Gras. That was an experience for a naive Alaskan at nineteen!

SharonE

I've been to New Orleans twice and also lived in Arkansas for 2 yrs when John was stationed there. It is definitely hot and drippy there.We ran the attic fan in our little double to stay alive and then when I was pregnant and it was in the 80's in May, we finally got a window AC as I couldn't handle it.  SC and NC are not as bad. I've been in Phoenix when it was 115 degrees of dry heat and I didn't like that any better.  I need something with moderate humidity and temps and most of the time we have that here.

Alpiner, I hope your electricity came back on in time to cook.

We had a great TG dinner at the clubhouse with a friend who also had no family in the area. Since then, we've just been hanging out. Brian and Jonathan called and Lori messaged while riding to her "in-laws". Mel was with friends and had told me she would call later. Oh, and John's sister from Phoenix also called. So we had a little bit of family.

I hope Jane & Marylin & Darlene are all having good times with their families or friends.

Take care and have a nice evening. Sharon

alpiner1

We were so fortunate !  The power never went off even though it did in other parts of town .  We cooked the turkey in the morning unstuffed & deboned it & put it in the refrigerator .

jane

Happy Day after Turkey Day !

I had a nice day, and had calls from my Sister, Niece and nephew in WI and niece in Montana. 

I heard some places in S.CA were having the power shut off because of the Santa Ana winds, I think they call them.  Better that then to risk fires from downed power lines.

Roller coaster temps here....yet again. 

I'm fighting sinus problems...feels like a cold, but who knows. 

So, it's a SLUG DAY here.  No Black Friday shopping for me.  I don't trust the crowds with so much Covid here, and I have nothing to buy.  I give the nieces and nephew in Ohio that favorite color of theirs...GREEN and they can do with it as they please.  And for me, online if the only way to go.  I don't have the stamina to run from store to store looking for something, and I don't enjoy that anymore.

Stay warm /cool/ and safe!

jane

Marilyn

Well We had a wonderful gathering of family and exended family here at my house. I didn't have to do anything but make an Apple Cake, we did it potluck style, there was so much food and good things to eat. there was nothing left of the 18 lb turkey. Everyone was so happy to finally be together for Thanksgiving. I had been a long time for my family,  to do Thanksdgiving. probably 8 years. We did Christmas in 2018 and 19 when I came down here. I aways came at Christmas after I moved to Oregon.

jane

How great for you and your family, Marilyn!  This move has sure been a good thing for you, Keith, and your family there!

Jane

jane

I hope everyone is recuperating from all the good food on Thursday. 

My sinus problem seems to be resolved.  I seem to get this "thing" every few months...weird.

It's a clear, sunny day and up to 40 now.  I'm going to watch the Michigan and Ohio State game and then go down to Kathy's to help them with their computer problems.  Later, I'm going to think of our Sue and watch Auburn-Alabama game. 

Have a wonderful weekend!

jane

Cottoncandy

Hi everyone...Jane you are right..I'm still eating left overs...was a very good day...even though not all my grands were here...today is cold and rainy...a good day to stay inside and read or watch a good movie.,.I also have sinus problems...just got over a spell of it...maybe some of it is allergies...Marlyin happy for you to get to be with family...Sharon we have been notified our power will be off come Tuesday...have to work on a tower...hope it's a easy fix...Hi to Mary and Alpiner and others reading...have a great weekend...

SharonE

Hi Gals. Sounds like everyone had a nice TG even though some were pretty quiet like ours.

Patricia, I'm glad your weather isn't that bad all the time.  Ours is currently in the 50's which isn't bad. We need rain badly though.

Jane, I love to bake, given the excuse, but John & I neither one needs the calories, so I haven't baked since we moved here. Of course, there is always a choice of dessert at dinner. I like their cappuccino ice cream occasionally, but seldom anything else. I did have pecan pie for TG.

Yesterday, we did our Christmas decorating. Everything looks so nice, but it did a number on my body. I felt like I was run over by a truck this morning.  But I guess it's worth it. It lifts our spirits so much.

Bunny seems off her feed today. I hope she isn't getting sick.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend. Sharon

patricia19

Good afternoon; I haven't felt well the last few days as the barometric pressure shifts and my arthritis shifts along with it. I've been couch or bed surfing with my laptop or Kindle. What I used to think was sinus, or a head cold was being susceptible to the pressure. Unfortunately, it will fluctuate thru at least December eighth.

I look back at all those years I ran around believing I would have that good health forever and can only shake my head. I know it could be worse as my mother's Alzheimers and my father's strokes come to mind, but today, I'm being whiny. Tomorrow back to being a grownup...

maryz

Guess we've all been busy (or lazy)!  I know I've been both. Our family and friends had a wonderful get-together and feast on Saturday. I see Margaret often, but don't get to see Kate and Jean that much, and that was special. And then add in my oldest and dearest friends from when we first moved to Tennessee in the 1960s and some of their family, and it was a super-treat. Plus, of course, Baby Henry - now 18 months old. AND all the wonderful traditional Thanksgiving food. All great things to be thankful for!  Then Kate and Jean came by here for a short visit on their ways back to their respective homes. And now back to the quiet routine for a few weeks.

Today is John's birthday - he would've been 87. 

On our weather front, we've been having some cold (for us) temps, but no precipitation. The temperature is supposed to warm up to near 70!!! in midweek. But just for a day, and then another front comes through. Pretty much our standard rollercoaster.

Happy recuperation, Buddies!

p.s. Thanks to the S&F gremlins for our lovely holiday decorations

jane

Patricia....you're not alone in suffering with the weather pressure causing joint and muscle pains.  Sharon, MaryZ, and I do as well...and maybe others here who aren't as vocal about it as I am. :coolsmiley:   My doctor told me 45 years ago I'd get very good at weather forecasting. I said Really?  And his reply OH, YES!  The man was a great doctor.

Mary...it sounds as if your Saturday was very special!

Darlene...I finished my left overs today.  Kathy had sent home some of the ham, and I made scalloped potatoes with it, and finished off my pumpkin pie last night as a night snack.  YUM.

It's been a drizzly morning and cold.  I did get out and got to the bank, one grocery store,  to the card store for cards for checks for Xmas, and to the liquor store for wine to take to my sister's at Xmas.   This afternoon or maybe tomorrow, it's off to WalMart and the Farm Fleet on the other side of town.  Busy, busy, busy.  I've found I need to do these things while I feel ok. 

I LOVE the new theme.  Thanks, Michael!

jane