Random Image

Pear Trees in Bloom

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jane

Yep...the more the merrier!!  They were good, too.  My husband wrinkles up his nose...and yet he likes cabbage.  Same thing, I tell him, only smaller and more flavorful!!   :thumbup:

HOT here today.  I'm in for the day. 

jane

JeanneP

Jane. Try putting the Brussels On a baking sheet. Spray, Salt and pepper. and bake in oven.
I usually have potato, Carrots and other veg with them. Bake in oven. Cut side down. Sprouts taste a lot different. He may like them.  I think men sort of remember their mothers just boiling them.
JeanneP

jane

We've  them roasted many times, and it hasn't changed his view of them.  That's ok...he likes a lot of veggies I don't.   :2funny:

Maybe rain tomorrow and cooler temps.

I can't imagine the 120 or so Phoenix area had.  No thank you!

Jane

SharonE

Hi Gals, we had a quiet day yesterday--church & SS, calls from all 3 kids + 1 grandson for Father's day and a steak dinner with fresh peaches on ice cream for dessert.

Today, I've put in a load of laundry & have another ready to follow it.  The fridge repairman is coming this afternoon to see if he can do anything with this piece of GE junk!  Water dispenser won't dispense and the ice cube maker freezes up and spits cubes and generally is a pain.

I like brussel sprouts and eat them steamed or roasted. John will eat them, but doesn't really care for them.

Bunny got groomed Sat. I told her to do a summer cut and she really did! She looks like a short-haired dog with a fluffy tail and ears.  Apparently, she is cold and has really been cuddling up with us since.  Love it.  Usually, with her long thick hair, she gets overheated quickly and goes down to the foot of the couch.  I still can't believe how normal she is acting. Sure hope it lasts.

It was around 82 over the weekend--just beautiful, but supposed to start warming up today 88, tomorrow 91 and the humidity is to rise also. Yuck.  I agree, Jane, about Phoenix's 120 degrees. That's unbearable.  We were out there once when it was 115 and decided we were never going to retire there.  John has a sister in Scottsdale who seemingly doesn't get too stressed by it. She just stays in the AC.

Have a nice day everyone.  Sharon

JeanneP

They are saying will be 97 for us by noon today.  Now over 2 weeks in the 90s. I have had enough summer.
Will stay in again until about 7pm then run to library.  I have to keep my skin well covered which I think I do but this year the sun is getting to it.  I was using a 50 sun cream but not sure that I am not allergic to it.  Now got to use a prescription cream but stay indoors.
That is hard for me.   Prefer the outdoors.
JeanneP

jane

Heat index already high and not nice out there. Ray gave up after 5 holes of golf and came home, thank heavens.  I was going to walk to the Library to return a book, but decided to drive. Glad I did.  I also got a car wash and came home and cleaned the mats and inside and that was enough in the shade for me.

Like Sharon, I'm finishing the third load of laundry, and then we'll be caught up for a few days.

Stay cool and well hydrated, Buddies!

jane

Marilyn

Hi everyone, We got back fro Neskowin yesterday afternoon, Keith decided he didn't wnat me to drive back down the coast. Kept insisting it would be shorter to drive east to I-5 which took over an hour to drive the 60 miles inland. Then through Salem to the freeway and back to the coast was even longer, What should have taken 3.5-4 hours to get home took 6. So much for keith's idea of it taking less time.

We had a good time and I ate way too much good food as we ate out for every meal. But skipped lunch or dinner . We walked on the beach but I couldn't get freckles to walk in the water. We visited the house that Keith's grandfather built, they called it a cabin but has 4 bedrooms (it is a house.)

maryz

Definitely hot here today, but so dry, it's keeping the humidity down (comparatively speaking). At least it's not like Phoenix.  Right now, they're predicting some rain for us this weekend. There is supposed to be a beautiful full "Strawberry Moon" on this summer solstice night.

I played bridge this afternoon, but left as soon as I could.  My back was killing me all afternoon - don't know why.  But all I wanted to do was get home and take some pain med.  I didn't go up to dinner - called to have them pack it in a to-go box, and picked it up when I went for my mail.  I'm pretty sure I'll be in bed early tonight.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

Just came in from my evening walk, and Bummer, it looks as though we won't be able to see the Strawberry Moon from here because we have so much cloud cover.  I have enjoyed it for several evenings now, but it is the real thing tonight and only tonight.  If YOUR  skies are clear, be sure to get out and take a look, as it is a once in 50, or 70, or whatever they said, year thing.  Sorry about your back, Mary.

I had a delightful luncheon today:  picked up by two good looking gentlemen, both over ten years younger than I, and taken out to one of my favorite local restaurants, we had a great time.  One is a priest, and my landlord for 13 years now, and the other his brother, who is visiting.  Nice people.  Charming and fun to talk to.

Becky will arrive from Missouri on the 2nd and we are having a big all family party at Debi's on the 3rd.  I'm planning to just sort of hunker down and conserve my energies during our current heat wave, just to make sure I am thriving for that event.  I'll be making up two casseroles of cheese & macaroni for my contribution to the eating, which pretty much goes on all day, or at least from two until sevenish.  Then everyone helps clean up the debris and pulls out of there by eightish.  Basically, our summer parties are one big, long crab feast out of doors.  Their house has a two-story deck that runs the whole width of the property, with a pier and a number of types of boat.  They also set up a water volley ball net down below, and there is a concrete basketball court with a net pole that can be lowered when it is taken over by little scamps.  Great place for partying, and we've been doing it there for over thirty years now.

The Washington/Baltimore corridor has been having a heat wave, but we are talking 90° for highs.  Here on the bay, with the lovely breezes off of the water, we have been at least 6° cooler.  The reverse effect is true in the winter.  LOVE where I live!

God Bless Y'all, and be good, now!

maryz

MaryPage - Please send me some crabs.  I do hope we can find some when we go to the beach in a couple of weeks.  The Strawberry Moon isn't visible here, either - although it was gorgeous last night.

Sleep well, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Marilyn, welcome back. It sounds like you had a nice time except for the long drive home. Men & their shortcuts!!

Mary, I'm sorry your back is hurting you too. Have you tried any exercises (like knee to chest) to see if that helps.  My back isn't out of joint, so exercise isn't helping me.  Keep the pain meds close.

Hot and getting hotter and more humid here, in the low 90's. Better than last week though. We were able to see the strawberry moon here.  Lovely.

Mary Page, I envy you the big family parties and all the crabs too.  Enjoy.

I think the repairman got my fridge fixed. We'll see.  I worked with JOhn on his computer getting him set up on a couple programs. He really has limited computer skills.  I also did a load of laundry. Never did get to the 2nd, but it is in now.  John is off playing bridge.

Hi to all.  Sharon

Sandy

Quote from: MaryPage on June 20, 2016, 08:52:57 PM
Basically, our summer parties are one big, long crab feast out of doors.

Mom 
I hear that you have crabs... 
I hope that you enjoyed them!
Yum! 

Sandy
(giggle)
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

maryz

Welcome home, Marilyn - glad you had a good long weekend (except for the trip home, of course).

I did finally see the moon for a few minutes last night.  It was already "up", so didn't get the spectacular viewing.  I "slept in" this morning (until 7:30), and my back is much better.  I went on to Silver Sneakers, and didn't have a problem.  So I did get some extra movement, too.  Nothing else going on today.

Happy Hot Tuesday, Buddies!

JeanneP

And What a Wind Storm we got last night. Was 10pm and the rain came. Then the wind of they say 76 miles a hour. Heard a crash and half of a big old tree next door fell on the house. its new so sitting empty. I was O.K other than the usual mess of tree limbs in my front yard.

So now back up again to 90s today. It is 87 now.  I for one tired of it. Was looking forward to summer but now looking forward to Fall.
JeanneP

jane

Marilyn.....uh...maybe K is not a good GPS for the most "direct" or "shortest" route!   ;D

Maryz...glad back is much better.

I imagine Molly is busy with M's visit.

GinnyAnn....how are you doing?  We miss your posts.

Hi to MaryPage, Sharon, Jeanne

Our storms are to come tonight, "they" say.

Eyes are ok...but I have a small "something" on my lower eyelid, near the tear duct, so he wants me to come back and see their "biopsy and eyelid plastic surgeon".  So appt now in early August.  At worse it's basal cell skin cancer...and at best "she" ( the doc) will laugh, he said, and say it's nothing but...(big long medical words here). 

Tomorrow off to surgeon for Ray and maybe the artificial skin thing. Always something!

Jane

Cottoncandy

I had to have yet another basal cell removed from my nose. I use sunscreen and big hat and not in the sun but I still have them.....I guess from when I was younger and always in the sun......Darlene

JeanneP

Marilyn.  My Husband was the worse when it came to traveling in the car. Only time I would get mad.  You could tell him the way he should go but he would just argue.  We lived in Danville Illinois for a few years and he even was heading for Danville Indiana but swore he was right.  It got that I would just sit and let him do his thing.  And as for stopping anyplace. one could forget about that. I had to threaten to just for him to let me out. He keep going and I would get a bus or train.  For a few years when I came to US I didn't drive. Did not have a license but once I got one. Got a car. Then that took care of the problem. Use to just tell him I would drive my car. He sort of learned a lot in later years.  Was my way or the Highway.
JeanneP

Marilyn

Jeanne I am sitting here chuckling to myself about your husband.

Jane you are so right on about Keith's GPS LOL

I have to take freckles to the vet tomorrow, she has been yelping when she get up and it is time for her yearly check-up and  immunizations.

MaryPage

Another day of perfect beauty here on the bay.  I will be off to get a haircut at noon, followed by a swift charge through our local grocery to pick up a few items, and then home for a wee afternoon nap.

Wishing you each a lovely day!

maryz

I had one of THOSE nights last night - woke up about 3:30, and never got back to sleep.  I finally gave up and got up about 4:30.   Yuck.  I went on to swimming, and then to Vicki's class.  That was only me, so after a short time, we adjourned to an early lunch.  I ate half of a "bagel and lox" (yum) at Einstein's Bagels, and then we headed for our respective homes.  I got about a half-hour nap when the phone woke me up.  I hope I sleep well tonight.  We're in for another hot one today.  My outdoor thermometer says 104, but it's up against the building in the direct sun, so I'm sure that's not right.  But it probably is 90+.  Blech!

MaryPage

I hope you sleep well tonight, too, Mary.  My secret for getting right back to sleep, when I have had to get up to use the privy, is to work on planning and building my dream house, no expense considered.  Boom, I go to sleep right off the bat, and, in all these long years, have never really finished that house!

JeanneP

I slept a good 9 hours last night like the night before. Had storms both nights. Could turn off the A/C. I hate that thing running all the time, but in 90 deg weather its needed. Last night it went down to 67 deg and still this morning until noon. Now it is going up and up again. So it will have to go back on.
I did have strange dreams last night and it seems like a few people from S and F in it. Just their faces and you Mary Z was one. Forgotten it now but seems to tie into medical. I had been talking to my daughter in Texas who need her knees replaced and keeps getting thos shots that last no time now. So maybe because you had been talking about yours then that is where the dream came from. I dream a lot now. Never anything bad but just many all night long.  Some I miss when I wake up.
JeanneP

maryz

Sorry to bother your sleep, Jeanne.  LOL  Just glad it wasn't a nightmare.  I hope your niece and I both have good luck with our knees.

MaryPage, I usually go right back to sleep after a potty break, but this time I was thinking about the upcoming trips, and it just wouldn't shut down.   

jane

Storms here last night, and we went to Dubuque in the rain.

No skin graft today because they got the approval from Medicare too late to grow the skin.  Yep, it's artificial skin, but it's a living thing grown in a petrie dish.  It's a biologic.  I've heard that word on ads for an arthritis med, but I never knew what it meant.  I looked it.  A whole new world of drugs, I guess.  Next week is now the day for the graft.  And back for weekly appts.  Good thi g we had no definite plans for the summer!

More storms coming tonight and dark clouds are gathering to the west.  Bridge was good....8 of us...but I'm glad to be home.

Jane

JeanneP

Yes Jane. They are showing on our Weather that Iowa going to get what we had last 2 nights. Usually you get the first.

Maryz.  That is my Texas Daughter on the Knee.  Don't have any Nephew or Nieces. Had brothers but they never married.  Only have one Cousin also.  Small families ours.

Beginning to buck up again now as I have the 2 daughters.  5 Grands, 6 GGrands. My family name has died out now. A shame.
JeanneP

maryz

Jeanne - sorry I got that wrong.  Good luck to your daughter, in any case.  The branch of John's family had only daughters, who changed their names when they married, or sons who had their own daughters.  So his name will probably die out, too.

jane, I must have missed about Ray's skin graft.  Is this for the cut that he got last spring?  Is the store paying for all this?  That really turned into something difficult.

jane

No, Mary, that gash healed fine.  He got this one on the back of the other leg....bashed it on a connector bar on his bike....a large hematoma developed, and they then had to remove that.  Big "chunk" of leg gone...so it's slowly healing, but doc think this skin graft wpuld help the process...or not.

Looks like storms may be south and east of us.  I sure hope so.

maryz

jane, Ouch!  Give Ray an extra hug for me!

Marilyn

Well I got my notice from Social Security that my  income is now short $182. I don't see where they are  giving me a piece of Keith;s just my own. So now I will be calling the m and asking What's up with that.

Freckles had her Vet appointment today and she is is perfect condition the vet even complimented me on how good i take care of her and all my animals. She got her yearly shots and will go back on Monday to have her teeth cleaned.

Where is Sharon?

Molly

I haven't been able to post for a while and perhaps I should re-introduce myself again! ;)

I've had problems with my computer several times, along with the enormous task of getting ready for Mohamed's arrival, welcoming him and getting him settled to our local time so he does not wander through the house during the night.  He had a good flight, but had to take a taxi from our Airport, since the highway has been under repairs in several places and friends here were hesitant to try and drive to the  airport.  Me, too!  He remained here while he adjusted to the time difference and then drove up to visit with friends and former Medical Dr. in Maryland.
He'll be back in the next few days.

MARILYN - It was very interesting to read about the Magnesium you take every night.  Not having leg pain is a true blessing.  I have been having pains along my right thigh all the way down to my knee almost every night and sometimes even during the day when I am sitting down.  I plan to discuss this with my Medical Dr. soon and ask if I could possibly begin taking something to reduce/eliminate the pains.

MARYPAGE - I also plan to inquire about beginning to drink Tonic Water.  I noted the brand you wrote about and will see if I can find some in one of our local stores.

The most harsh body pains I continue to have are up/down my spine - every day and throughout the day, except when I lay down for a brief nap on the sofa or bed.  A few months ago, the Dr. told me the cause of the continued pain was "just my age."  I could have smacked him!

We've been having some really intense hot weather and more expected in the next few days - in the high 90's.  Thus, I'm enormously grateful for the excellent AC working as needed!

Since Mohamed has our car in MD, I've been house-bound recently, which is REALLY unusual for me.  Friends have stayed in touch with me, offered to take me shopping if needed, and I've been busy with the Yard fellows today as they mowed and trimmed the bushes. 

Yesterday, I talked with the Pastor of the Church I used to attend before I began to have the enormous back pains.  He mentioned that he had included a request prior to his sermon last Sunday for continued prayers for my son, David, as he settles into his new
2-year assignment at a military base in Korea.  That was a real blessing for me.  I sent a couple of messages to David.

Yesterday, one of our dear friends and her husband came by to take a look at my computer and was able to straighten out whatever had been preventing it from working.  She is a Computer professional, so I'm really happy to know her!

Not much else going on here.  Just trying to stay cool in this really hot weather, and talk with Mohamed when he calls several times each day.  He has my Cell phone with him, so sure hope I don't lose electricity here if we get any thunder storms.

Hope everyone is getting ready for a good weekend.
Enjoy!