Random Image

Whimsy_tonilee

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:34:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryPage

I have successfully put together and baked and set out to cool casserole number one for today's big feast, and am now working on number two.  Have fretted and worried for several days now as to whether I would be able to get ready on time, but not to worry:  I am well ahead of schedule for a one thirty departure time.  Travel time equals 30 minutes!
Have a great day, fellow survivors!  Love youi!

SharonE

Hi Gals, you all sound like you're having fun or planning to.  My cold was awful Friday but have it under control with Flonase and Vit C but still feel washed out. I didn't go to church this morning. Slept in till nearly 9:30. After all my sleepless nights, it felt good.

No plans for the 4th or the rest of today. John's playing bridge tomorrow and they're having a buffet of some sort. He said he was to take lemonade, so I've fixed that and have it in a jug in the fridge.

Marilyn, hope you find a parking space or do as Jane suggested.  Have fun.

Jane, can't remember if your picnic was last night or today, but hope it is or was fun.  Good idea on the doctored up potato salad.

Jeanne, wish we had those cool temps!

Mary Page, good for you on your casseroles. What kind are you making?  Hope you have a great time at Debi's.
Sharon

jane

Yes, our picnic is today also, and the potato salad is "doctored" and has the paprika on top to look festive..hahaha and it's ready to go.

I walked down to our town's 150 celebration in the park.  It was wonderful...the dedication of a playground to a child who died...and his family donated thousands of dollars for all new playground equipment at this park. Fabulous equipment in a dinosaur theme...and they cut the ribbon with his little brothers being the first down the biggest slide...there are something like 5 slides on this equipment...straight, curved, curleyq, etc.  There's also another part that looks like a dinosaur with bones around for the kids to climb on and over.  There were also artists and food vendors and just a neat day by the river and in the park.

jane

JeanneP

Will not be going out of the house today for sure.  Started storming at Midnight and still coming down.  Temp down to 59. maybe less and my Therm. inside says 62. May be putting the furnace on soon.  Looks bad for Monday the 4th. also. Bad for the Fireworks and Parade. I usually drive 40 miles out of town but will not bother to go. It is outdoors. They have a big pool. Many go so their children like the pool. Not this year. to Cold so don't know how the young will be entertained.
Been going for past 30 year but now it seems most the people have passed that made all the good dishes. Their then  little one have grown with ones of their own. So I noticed that lots of the food comes from Deli's. Bakeries. Etc. Some don't even cheat and put into a fancy dish. Bring in the cartons. It is all my Daughters In laws who hold the 4th. Party
JeanneP

maryz

There's actually some water falling from the sky this afternoon - at least at my place.  First time in ages!.  The temperature has dropped from the high 90s into the low 80s.  It surely won't be enough to help our drought conditions, but the hanging baskets on my deck will surely appreciate it.

This is a quiet weekend around here.  Margaret's boys went to her house.  She sent Matt by here on his way home to bring me my first REAL tomatoes of the season (delicious!) and some blueberries (yum!).

jane, your town sounds like a lovely place.   The town activities are great.

And MaryPage is out there eating (I hope) enough crabs for all of us.  I hope we get some next week when we head to the beach.

Sharon, glad you got a good night's sleep.  I did, too.

Darlene, glad you had a good trip to your daughter's.

Marilyn, I hope you had some good weather for your event today - and got lots of donations for your organization.

Happy Fourth of July!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Marilyn

The event is tomorrow the fourth.

jane

Happy 4th of July!

Cook out was nice last night...and a quiet day here today.  Twmps are nice and cool this morning, but things to get back to the high 80s and 90s starting tomorrow.

I see WVA and KY being hit hard again with storms and flooding. 

Have a safe and enjoyable day!

Jane

SharonE

Hi Gals,  HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!

Mary, so glad to hear you got some rain. None for us yet.  How wonderful to get some home-grown tomatoes and blueberries.

Jane, I agree with Mary that your town has lots of nice activities, especially for a small town. Glad your cook-out was good. How was the potato salad?

Absolutely nothing going on here. John's gone to his bridge game.  I did talk to Melanie for about an hour yesterday. Discussed their planned trip to Italy in the fall.  I told her where to shop and what the various specialties are, so Sangmin is growling!  He hates to spend money even though they have plenty, but Melanie is a shopper, so guess I'm an enabler. :D  But you can't go to Italy without shopping.

It's to be in the 90's with possible storms.  Hope you all have a good day.  Sharon

maryz

Very quiet here, too.  Not even too many fireworks around here over the last few days - maybe more tonight.  I know there was some downtown last night, but I could only hear it - not see the pretty part.  And into the upper  90s again with a chance of showers.

One of the steps off my deck finally broke last night, but it was just as I was stepping off of it, so I didn't fall.  I've reported it and hope somebody can get to it tomorrow - at least with a temporary fix.  I've been trying to get something done since I moved in, but nothing so far.  Maybe this will get them off their duffs.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Maryz....I bet that'll move them....or let them know you almost did fall. 

Sharon...the potato salad was fine. They even asked to keep some of the leftover.  I just added some green onions and a bit more mustard as they like both in their potato salad.  I thought it was fine as it was...much tastier than the usual "store bought" stuff.

In fact, I think it's time for a snack of some potato salad!  We slept late today, so did a brunch thing.  I don't have a clue what we're doing for supper.  Guess we'll figure out something.

jane

donna brown

This is the only thing I have been able to get into for the past two days, and I have to go in via the forum.  Anyone else having issues?

JeanneP

Donna.  I just had a posting in the Homemaking Forum that would not go in. I kept trying to get it to move. Finely just got into this forum . But it looks like it finely did show up in there.
JeanneP

jane

Donna....I've had no trouble here.  I hope it's just a heavy holiday i ternet traffic that caused your problem.

Warming up here already....hotter outside now than all weekend!  Time to get the AC on again.

Doc annual visit this morning and get my 'scripts renewed for a year. 

Jane

MaryPage

I have not been having any trouble whatsoever getting in here.  I'll bet the heavy traffic in some areas is what caused the problem for some.

This was a rainy, gloomy day when I got up, but the sun burst out and has shown its great glory all day.  Greg picked me up at ten thirty and I went over to Chestertown and brought his books up to date through June.  Now I'm luxuriating in being back home, my favorite place.

THE GREEKS is on PBS again tonight.

I watched The Boston Pops for a while last night, and was gagging with disgust, so quit that to take in some other films, and then went back and it was STILL awful, so went on to something else.  I could have wept, because the Boston show has been my favorite on the 4th for eons now.  Instead of all the great patriotic American music, they had these dreadful singers on, singing away about SEX, SEX, SEX!  Only at the very end, when they were putting on the fireworks, did they do the great songs of the 4th, and even then the artists they chose were not of the best.  And the fireworks were mostly PINK and YELLOW!  They were plentiful and exotic and amazing and all the rest, while the river setting was, as always, divine;  but the colors were really disappointing.  They used to do a whole evening of great, peppy American songs and marches with terrific talent, and then do a beautiful selection of classical music in time to the spectacular fireworks.  My children all called to complain today, and we have decided someone is in charge who donates a lot of money OR is related to someone who does OR is related to someone in high office up there in Boston.  Whatever, they really have no taste.  NO taste at all!  Bummer!  A BIG let down!

FlaJean

I watched A Capitol Fourth and it was better than some in the past.  Then I watched Macy's New York July 4th program which was the best.  They had the Singing Sargeants and a military chorus.  It was very patriotic and enjoyable.

Cottoncandy

It is REALLY HOT here.  So needless to say I'm not doing much out side....I did walk early..sweating as I went....Mary P enjoyed your  family pictures thanks for sharing. ...Has any one had an up date on Sue. Hi to all looking in...hope you are staying cool. Darlene

SharonE

Hi Gals, I saw some of the performers who were to be on the 4th programs, so didn't bother watching. Fortunately, I had a good Hallmark movie to watch.

It is HOT, HOT here too--mid to upper 90's + humidity to up the heat index. I'm trying to convince myself to go get my toenails painted, but not sure I will. Darlene, yours is probably worse though.

MP, it looked like a fun time was had by all at Debi's Sunday.  Was the temperature decent for you? Glad you got your bookkeeping done and are home now.

I wrote a note to Sue yesterday and got it in the mail. I asked her to please call or contact one of us or have Tim or Kris do so, so I hope she will.

Jane, how is Ray's skin graft coming? Hope it is taking well. Hope your doctor's appt went well and that you're playing good bridge today.

Mary, I hope the administration got on that broken step for you.  That could have been really dangerous. You've had enough falls, etc.  Did you get enough rain to do you any good this week? We got maybe a half inch, but as dry as everything was, I doubt it soaked in.

Jeanne, wish you could send some of your rain this way. We really need it.

Have a nice day, everyone.  Sharon

MaryPage

Sharon, the weather Sunday was delightful.  We were very British, in that we had a few momentary spots of very light raindrops, but everyone just stayed put and no one melted.  It was soothingly cool, with great breezes off the bay.  Perfect!

Today, real summer has moved in.  Real Washington, D.C. humidity and temps.  Ghastly.  First day so far in 2016.  Well, we have been lucky, and July WILL be July!  But Debi & Becky are coming over shortly, and we are to go shop the stores up at Annapolis Towne Center in Parole, and then go to a late lunch, early supper sort of Happy Hour place with fantabulous hors d'oeuvres that Debi is dying for us to experience.  Their happy hour starts at three, and we three plan to be there!  I just ate an English Muffin with a cup of coffee for breakfast, and am starving while waiting for the promised pig out.  Girl fun;  my favorite kind.

Becky is also going to be working on a new bedspread for my bed.

I am so glad you wrote to Sue.  We all miss her. 

maryz

Re the deck:  The problem is being worked on.  It's not something that can get fixed overnight - I know they'll have to check into options and pricing, etc., but at least information is being passed along.  I sent last communication to the Interim Director also to daughter Margaret.  And the ID's reply to me was copied to Margaret and a couple of folks from her home office.  So I know somebody's paying attention.  We're off to the beach next week, and I certainly wouldn't expect anything to happen before that.

We got less than a half-inch of rain, but there is more rain and heat predicted for the next couple of days.  Then just the hot and humid part.  Sounds like beach time to me!

Darlene, be careful with walking in that Texas heat - I well remember how bad it can be.

Yes, jane, give us an update on Ray's skin graft.

Hugs to all the Buddies (and a special one to Sue - wherever she may be).

JeanneP

Stormed again all night here. Feels good today and not as hot.  One thing nice is it raining mostly during the night. Doubt I need the A/C today. Getting tired of the Allergy problems though this year. Just will not leave.Trying not to take anything now. Just take before going to bed. Will say get about 9 hours sleep from it.  Can't take during the day though.
JeanneP

jane

The skin graft is doing fine, according to the surgeon.  Still, we will be making a lot of trips in to see him.  We're booked weekly through Aug. now, but hope we'll be able to cancel some of those as it heals.

Hot here, too, after storms overnight.  More tonight...we seem to be in that cycle of storms and rain at night and then hot and very humid during the day.  When I have to drive out of town, I prefer not to do it during storms. 

Tomorrow we're going back to Dbq to meet Tx friends for our monthly luncheon.

Fri we go back for the allergist visit for Ray.

I've been fortunate that the doc's suggestions for my allergies have them well in hand this summer.  Last summer was bad...not this one...and just Allegra and Flonase over the counter and a prescription nasal spray to go with the Flonase.  I also use Zadator for my eyes.

My doc visit didn't amount to much.  Just getting new refills on meds and having my lungs and heart listened to, etc.  I'd had blood work in March and it was all good, so didn't need that again.

Bridge was mostly lousy cards today.  We had 11 so it was good.

jane

MaryPage

The place Becky and Debi and I went to this afternoon was called Cooper's Hawk Winery and Restaurant.
First we shopped at Talbot's, where both girls bought some outfits.  They were having a 40% off sale.
THEN we had Happy Hour and hors d'oeuves.  Super great.  The Marguerita I had was the very best EVer!  The food was the best.  We had a blast.
Then we went to Athropologle.  Fun! Fun! Fun!  I bought Becky a huge hat that she simply had to have from the moment she stuck it on her head.  She was BORN to wear that hat.  More fun!
Then we giggled all the way back to my place, sat out on the back deck to watch the Wednesday Night Sailboat Races.  They never happened;  I suppose because it is so hot and humid and still.  Bummer.
So the girls went on home and I am hugging myself with the joy of experiencing them.  A good day, and blast the weather!

SharonE

Mary, I'm glad the admin is paying attention to your deck step situation. Your weather & mine the same. I'm glad you have the beach to look forward to. I know how much you always enjoy it.

Jeanne, I'm glad the rain cooled you down a little. Nice that it is coming in the night.

Jane, so glad to hear that Ray's leg is healing. With diabetics, that's always an issue.  Bummer on the lousy cards. Glad the doctor's visit was a non-event.

MP, what a lovely day you had with your girls!  That's what I love to do with mine as well. We're all shoppers and eaters!  Sorry your weather is now matching ours. Not fun.

I'm off to the grocery shortly.  Nothing else going on.  Sharon

jane

MP...what a delightful day with two of your girls!

Sharon....hope the grocery store doesn't make you hurt too much.

We've had rain overnight and it's continuing....a nice, soft rain and those are the best kind, for me.  It looks as if it's to clear off and then more storms tonight.   We're off for lunch with TX friends who live down in the Quad cities and then home.  Tomorrow back to Dbq for allergist for Ray....and then only his Wed. Appt with surgeon for the next week or so.  WHEW!  I don't like these 3 doc appts in 4 days weeks.    :tickedoff:

I also plan to spend the weekend carching up on getting family stuff onto my spreadsheets and cleaning up a bit. 

Have a restful Thurs.

Jane

JeanneP

Jane.  I went to using this Rhinocort Allergy Spray and Zyrtec for allergies this year.. Seem to work but I go around like a zombie if use them during the day.  Each is one in 24 hours. So did it before going to bed. Could still feel it until about 2pm next day. Trying to get off them now.

JeanneP

alpiner1

I had a mammogram in April & there is another spot . I was told at my doctor's the imaging center would be calling me to set up an appt . I waited over a month & then called the doctor's office again .  I was told wrong , I was suppose to call them .  So I did & was suppose to have a biopsy . I went there Tuesday & it was to be a stereotatic biopsy .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69cNo1h5pzc
I had to climb a step stool to get on it , it was close to the ceiling !  I tried my hardest to get on it face down & couldn't . They had my arm up high & my arm wouldn't move . It was stuck in that position . I have scoliosis & have spasms (?) often . I got a call yesterday asking if I could come in again , so I went in yesterday afternoon .  I had an ultra sound  & another mammogram . The attending doctor decided I should have another ultra sound which she would do herself .   The attending doctor did another ultra sound herself .  The spot is in a hidden area . Apparently she located it & sent the information to my doctor asking him to okay another biopsy appt. She will do the biopsy herself . If this isn't successful I will need to see a surgeon .  She asked me to call my doctor today ,  if he agrees I'm to call a special number I was given &  make an appt .   Has anyone had this experience ? 

Marilyn

Alpiner1 that is a very interesting procedure.  You sure are going through a lot of testing , however, that is a good thing. I hope all goes well with the rest of your tests. I had to have  another mammogram and the ultrasound after I had my yearly exam and mammogram  several weeks ago

We will be traveling again the end of this month. We are going to visit Keith's oldest son in Vancouver Washington for a weekend.  I looked up his new house on Zillow and couldn't believe what is there. It is a good thing he is a Doctor with a large income to pay for that house. Keith's youngest son and fiance are going to  move into the MIL quarters in August.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9415-NE-44th-Ave-Vancouver-WA-98665/23257112_zpid/
These pictures are before they  moved in it is not their furniture

alpiner1

I'm still waiting for the doctor's office to call  .  I probably won't get a call until next week . Meanwhile I'm a bag of nerves !  One time I had x rays of my knee & never did find out what was going on . I finally started taking Osteo Bi Flex & that fixed it !

Marilyne

alpiner- I don't usually post in this discussion, but I saw your message this morning, and thought I would respond.  I had the stereotatic biopsy, about five years ago, and it was a total disaster for me.  It's a long story that I won't go into here, but they were unable to get a good biopsy the first time, and had to do it again a week later.  It turned out to be benign, which I was thankful for!

This January, I had another spot that didn't look good on the mammo, so I had the ultrasound.  The radiologist talked to me, and said she had read my previous problem with the stereotatic biopsy, so she wanted to do this one right there in the ultrasound room.  They numbed the area, and did the needle biopsy.  Fortunately for me, this one was also benign. 

Maybe you can ask them to try the needle biopsy like I had, in the ultrasound room. If that doesn't work, or shows malignant cells, you can then see the surgeon for a full biopsy.

maryz

Alpiner, in 2005, I had a suspicious mammogram, then a followup one.   Next came a needle biopsy, where I lay on my stomach on a table with a hole.  My boob hung through the hole and the surgeon did this needle biopsy.  The pathology report came back in a week - and was malignant.  A lumpectomy and node biopsy were scheduled for a week or so later.  I had no node involvement, so the lumpectomy was all that was called for.  That was followed up with 6 weeks of daily radiation.  And no problems since that time.  The waiting is absolutely the hardest part.  I hope, after all you've been through, that it's not malignant, but failing that, that you have an easy a time as I did.  I'm sure it's harder, though with your scoliosis problems.  Lots of hugs - and keep coming back with what's happening.

Marilyn, that's really a fancy house.  But like you said, since K's son is a doctor, he can surely afford it.  I hope you enjoy your visit.

I've had a bad couple of nights - awake with knee pain early Wednesday morning, but then dozed until time for swimming.  This morning I woke up for no reason at 3 and couldn't go back to sleep.  After about an hour in the chair, I went back to bed, and slept 'til 7:30, then 8:30.  I didn't even go to the Silver Sneakers class, and only got dressed when it was time to go to lunch.  Hope for some good cards at bridge tonight.

We did get about an hour's rain this morning - every little bit helps.  I've just checked the weather at the beach, and it looks pretty good all week.  Just a chance of early morning showers a couple of days; temps around 90.

jane, it seems like we all spend a lot of time at various doctors.  LOL

Sharon, I hope you're getting some good sleeping time.

MaryPage, your day sounds great.  That is such a lovely area.  We're looking forward to seeing our Alison & Joe next week - plus the rest of our family and friends, of course.