Random Image

March 2016 Full Moon

Owner: SnowWitch
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

June 06, 2020, 05:47:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Jun 01 2020 8:12am
mycheal:  ;D

May 27 2020 8:28pm
Astro: Oldiesman:  Much better.  Thank you!

May 26 2020 1:21am
Oldiesmann: Should be fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

May 26 2020 1:08am
Oldiesmann: I must not have set the permissions correctly for that board when I set the site up again a few years ago (long story - there was a server crash years ago and no backup, so we had to start over from scratch). I'll fix it soon.

May 25 2020 6:09pm
Astro:   feel free to start a topic here. Any duplicated topics may be merged together so we don't have two topics of similar nature.  Has that been eliminated?

May 25 2020 6:07pm
Astro: Oldiesmann:  I'm not  trying to beat a dead horse here, but if you scan down this psge, you'll see  the following:   General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. If you don't think a topic is being talked about elsewher

May 22 2020 2:46pm
brian: never   many  in chatroom here------  poor  showing

May 14 2020 9:29pm
JeanneP: Brownies.

May 11 2020 1:02pm
Oldiesmann: I don't think we allow regular members to start new topics in most of the boards here

May 11 2020 11:54am
Astro: Oldiesmann:  I briefly brought it up with So P Bubble  and she thought you might be able to rectify my dilemma. 

Old Sayings and Quips From our past

Started by RAMMEL, March 31, 2016, 12:30:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Thanks, Rick, I saved the site for future checking.  I can buy MS Word 2016 and may do that.  I think it is the same as Office 365 which may be "rented" for a monthly fee.  If I have to pay, I want to own it.  I'm lucky I am still able to use Office 2007, however, it does take longer to come up than it used to. 

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

I can hear my mother and gran saying this now...

" Wonders will never cease."

" freedom is the outside of the inside "
              ~ Joyce Carey

so_P_bubble

Its all water under the bridge now.

1013 - Water under the bridge.

but I did not see " Wonders will never cease."

Vanilla-Jackie

March 31, 2019, 07:37:08 am #1053 Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:38:44 am by Vanilla-Jackie
Bubble...removed...I will settle for a 50-50.. :thumbup:

~ Joyce Carey

so_P_bubble

I came across an interesting saying.
"What is bred in the bone will not come out of the flesh", implying something deep-rooted cannot be removed.
Also recorded in the form "What is bred in the bone will come out in the flesh", meaning deeply ingrained traits will ultimately reveal themselves.
Earliest documented use: 1470.

JaneS

I just used one today that my grandmother used t use and I'd almost forgotten it.  If we said something was "funny" she would ask....

Was it funny "haha" or funny peculiar.  (there is a difference)

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Marilyne

Jane - remember back a couple of months ago, we were talking about, "I'm beside myself", with frustration, worry, anger, etc?  Today I was upset about something, and I said, "I'm fit to be tied!"  I had forgotten all about that one, which was another one of my mother's favorites!  Similar to, or the same as, "beside myself".  ha ha!  I think when our generation is gone, that all those old sayings will go with us.  I can't imagine my grown children or grandchildren using any of them?  :-\

RAMMEL

I thought of a couple of new ones today -------------------- but when I checked to see if we already had them, there they were  :'(
"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think."

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Another of my families saying's...

" this is just the tip of the iceberg."

...meaning the worst is yet to come...

~ Joyce Carey

Vanilla-Jackie

March 31, 2020, 06:20:38 am #1059 Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:27:55 am by Vanilla-Jackie
As we are now taking more precautions as to going around cleaning and safeguarding our homes due to our current world situation of C -Virus epidemic, although be careful not to over-clean, we need good bacteria too..one of my parents well known idioms was...

..." cleanliness is next to Godliness.."

~ Joyce Carey

Vanilla-Jackie

Have we all given up on these...is our book now full, has it been published...

" If the mountain wont come to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain "

Another Idiom my family used when i was growing up, can anyone else remember their parents-family saying this...

Basically meaning, finding another - alternative solution..

~ Joyce Carey

RAMMEL

" cleanliness is next to Godliness.."   is #383

Added -
912 - "this is just the tip of the iceberg."
913 - " If the mountain wont come to Mohammad, Mohammad must go to the mountain "

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...
... are we on our second book, and if so, how much did we make on the publishing of our first book...will it keep us well in our retirement...

~ Joyce Carey

RAMMEL

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on June 04, 2020, 06:14:26 pmRammel...
... are we on our second book, and if so, how much did we make on the publishing of our first book...will it keep us well in our retirement...
Well, - - - It didn't sell very well. I bought two copies and since then it has gone out of print  :roflBig:
I had trouble finding my file as my old computer died and I'm now using a HP Win-10 puter.

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Yesterday at 12:39:16 am #1064 Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:06:19 am by Vanilla-Jackie
You only bought two copies, i bought three...just in case they go up in value...

we might be...

" sitting on a goldmine "

~ Joyce Carey