Random Image

twins

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:05:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Classical Corner

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Bubble...
...Pat and i are not wearing the correct frilly underwear...and that is our excuse...
" There is no present like the time "

RAMMEL

--- And it's just not my type of dancing    :roflBig: 
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

I like, and listen to, classical music. But generally have no idea of composer, era, type(classification), or titles. I just listen & enjoy.  At the time I was in High School there was a favorite Mozart Quintet record I would borrow from our library but I can no longer recall its details  :(
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

so_P_bubble

Could you hum the tune?  Maybe someone here will recognize it.

Vanilla-Jackie

Could you hum it louder please, i am in UK, bubble is in Israel..

PatH2

Radioman34

We'll venture into the realm of opera next and what I'll do is present the clues in the form of a headline and you take it from there.
ANGRY KING PUNISHES  WARRIOR DAUGHTER

"She'll stay tied to that rock until somebody has the guts to defy me and cut her loose." says irate monarch

Can you name the opera and  the characters involved?   

WIFE DISGUISES SELF AS PRISON GUARD TO HELP HUBBY ESCAPE FROM JAIL

Name the opera, composer, name of wife and husband _____________________________________________________________________________

CAPTIVE PRINCESS FALLS IN LOVE WITH ENEMY WARRIOR.  WARRIOR'S GIRL FRIEND NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.   SQUEALS  ON WARRIOR.  PRINCESS AND WARRIOR BURIED ALIVE

Name the captivess

WOMAN'S SCREAMS FRIGHTEN WOULD-BE PROWLER.   WOMAN'S FATHER ENGAGES PROWLER IN A SWORD FIGHT.  PROWLER KILLS FATHER.  FATHER'S GHOST REAPS VENGEANCE ON  PROWLER.

The last line of a famous opera.  What was it    
"THE COMEDY IS ENDED"

Vanilla-Jackie

PatH2

#2 Fidelio, Beethoven, Leonore (disguised as Fidelio) and Florestan

RAMMEL

Quote from: PatH2 on April 12, 2020, 11:05:15 AMRammel, did it have a clarinet in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4jdFz2AK6I
It had 5 (quintet) different instruments. I'm sorry but 65 years later I can't recall the details, though woodwinds seem to come to mind  Yesterday I went over many Mozart presentations at Youtube. None jumped out as the one I recall but I enjoyed many.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

so_P_bubble

I am not much good with operas  :(
But I seem to remember that Vivaldi was the theme for introducing our beloved  Sunday concert programs.

So here is Vivaldi`s Four Seasons "La primavera": Spring I - Allegro, by Sinfonity
https://youtu.be/BJSzdKS2o8o

Sinfonity is a band from Malaga (Spain) who takes great classical pieces on electric guitar and it's really impressive.

so_P_bubble

I love guitar music and today I found this gem

https://youtu.be/NVitgDEh_tw

PatH2

I'm going to assume that the quiz rules are the same as they used to be, and that after everyone has had a fair chance at guessing we can guess another question.

#1 is Wagner's Die Walkure.  The angry king is Wotan, punishing his daughter Brunnhilde for disobeying him and trying to save Siegmund.  He leaves her sleeping on a rock, fated to marry the first man who finds her, but surrounds her with a ring of fire, so only a hero will have the courage to claim her.

MSG

RAMMEL: I was an Aldous Huxley fan at that age and I remember that one Mozart quintet, G minor, K. 516 was a favorite of his. Huxley stuck a performance of it into one scene in a novel and he commented on it in one of his essays. He found religious value in this movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrhSpd74SKU

It's not what you'd call a toe-tapper but passages are excruciatingly beautiful.

I was and still am musically illiterate but on Huxley's word I had to go out and get the phonorecord.  With a $1.65 a week allowance and most of my paper route earnings going into the bank toward paying for what turned out to be my first 46 or 47 minutes of college, the expenditure of $6.00 on a record in 1965 is something I remember -- along with the music on it.

Vanilla-Jackie

I love the sound of Pan Flute...

https://youtu.be/orL-w2QBiN8

so_P_bubble

An unusual but enjoyable moment with LA TRAVIATA

https://youtu.be/qJzRzdsGhC0

so_P_bubble

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on April 16, 2020, 01:44:14 AMI love the sound of Pan Flute...
Zamfir is the best!

Vanilla-Jackie

Bubble...
...yes agree, i also like Cesar Espinoza from Ecuador...Unchained Melody is one of my favourites.....

Radioman34

PatH I was about to post a clue when you stepped up with the correct answer . Feel free to answer any of the remaining clues.

PatH2

#4 is Mozart's Don Giovanni.  The screaming woman is Donna Anna, pursuing the seducer, Don Giovanni.  Her father, the Commendatore, fights Don G., and is killed.

Don G. visits the graveyard, and, seeing the Commendatore's statue, rashly invites it to dine with him.  The statue accepts.

Later, while Don G. is feasting, the statue shows up, accompanied by some seriously impressive music.  Don G. refuse to repent, and sinks down to Hell.

It's a gorgeous opera, full of beautiful tunes.

so_P_bubble

since we are in operas...

https://youtu.be/W3Mn_WbB0mo

Laura Bretan: Child Opera Singer

Vanilla-Jackie

Bubble...
... wow, where did that voice come from, she ( Laura Bretan ) has a voice of an adult...

Vanilla-Jackie

With todays C - Virus pandemic, i, like many, are taking comfort from the sounds of our birds that are flying free without a care in the world...Andre Rieu Nightingale Serenade...

so_P_bubble

I bet you would enjoy some ballet for a change.
Here is Swan Lake for you.

https://youtu.be/krDUAHwpSXk

Vanilla-Jackie

My late father idolised Mario Lanza as a tenor voiced singer as father too had a great tenor voice...Father often sang in Italian as he had picked up Italian whilst fighting on the front-line in both Italy and North Africa during WW2 as a paratrooper ( the secret service ) fighting against the Germans and the Japs, and whilst in Italy dating an Italian lady for a period and being chaperoned all the time...Not sure when but my father was missing in action for a couple of months and told me as a young child, " one doesn't need a church to pray.." I am assuming he done enough praying to God when he was by himself and befriended an Alsatian ( German Shepherd ) dog and shared his food with the dog until he met up with his platoon.....
I also share the love of Mario Lanza's tenor opera voice, especially when he sings in Italian ( O Sole Mio / Nessun Dorma ) as i can hear my father singing...

so_P_bubble

Bach gave us Gods Word.
Beethoven gave us Gods Fire.
Mozart gave us Gods Laughter.
God gave us music that we may
pray without words.

Vanilla-Jackie

" Pray without words "...yes, God knows our inner thoughts...God knows us better than we know ourselves...God gives us what we need, not, what we want...

What we need in our world today are a few more Bach's Beethoven's and Mozart's...

PatH2

Tomereader1

Beautiful, Bubble.  And Jackie, so true.  I love all three of them, Bach, Beethoven and Mozart, especially. He could be so joyful and impish in his music!  I need to re-watch that movie about him, starring Tom Hulce.