Random Image

Mother's Day

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:57:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Classical Corner

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

so_P_bubble

What a fantastic creation!  I had to watch it twice, it was so well done :)

Radioman34

Time for another quiz.
1:     What is the oldest music institution in America?

2:     Mistakenly thought to be the oldest music institution in Americaâ€"it’s actually the second oldestâ€"and it is based in Boston.  By what name is this organization known?

4:    Name a composer who had two funerals.

5: This composer was caught up, but did not participate in a barroom brawl which inspired him to include a similar brawl scene at the end of the second act of one of his operas.  What is the name of that opera?

6:  What famous composer/performer was the prime minister of Poland?

7: Name this tune, composer and where one is likely to hear it.   https://www.normalesup.org/~glafon/musique/Quizzmp3/extrait09.mp3

so_P_bubble

so_P_bubble

MarsGal

1. Oberlin College, 1856

Bubble, I have heard Conquest of Paradise before, but didn't realize it was a Vangelis, nor that it was the theme song for a movie.

MarsGal

Don, I never heard of Line Rider. I thought it might be a really old compter game, but no, it was created in 2006.

Mary Ann

Bubble, my dad (Norman Sr) and brother (Norm Jr) both played the organ.  Both had the small organs that homeowners have.  Both took off their shoes when playing the pedals and Dad had the music for "Flight of the Bumble Bee".  Neither could play as well as Dr Williams.

Mary Ann

PatH2

I bet you don't get to take off your shoes in church when playing the organ.

Question #6: Paderewski.

Apparently he wasn't very successful as PM.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Ignacy-Jan-Paderewski

Mary Ann

PatH2, in our church, the organist could remove his/her shoes because the foot pedals are not visible.  I am sure they keep their shoes on, however.

Mary Ann

Jeanne Lee

who was the gal who in the '40's played the organ (beautifully) in high heels?

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

Mary Ann

Norm used to watch an organist named ? Bliss, who was always dressed to the "ultimate" (can't think of a better word).  She played an organ with many manuals.

Mary Ann

Radioman34

Jeanne Lee You might be thinking of Ethel Smith

Radioman34

MarsGal your answer re #1 is incorrect.  And as an indirect clue to question 2 it is not the SECOND oldest in America either.

PatH #6 Paderewski is correct.

Re the audio clue, just provide  the name of the opera from which it comes

Mary Ann I wonder if you are thinking of Diane Bish

Mary Ann

Don, you are right, Diane Bish is the organist I was thinking of.  Norm's favorite.

Mary Ann

Jeanne Lee

Don, you're right, I was thinking of Ethel Smith!  Thanks!!!

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

MarsGal

Don, I knew there had to be a military institution in there somewhere, but when I went to check I couldn't find it at first. So.....

Here is my updated list.
1798 - The United States Marine Band was organized
1833 - Boston Academy of Music. best I can tell this was not continuous, but revived several times.
1856 - Oberlin College - established the first continuously operating conservatory in the US.
1857 - Peabody Institute of Music - established in 1857 and opened in 1866, also lists itself as the oldest conservatory in the US. This season it is celebrating its 160th year in existence and its 40th as part of Johns Hopkins University.

Others of interest

1766 - St. Cecilia's Society of Charleston, SC. began as a private subscription concert organization. While the society still exists, it ended its music patronage in 1820.
1790 - First known singing contest in the US was between the choir of the First Parish Church in Dorchester and the male singers of the Stoughton Musical Society.
1815 - The Handel & Haydn Society was founded. It is now the oldest continuous performing arts organization in the U.S.

Radioman34

MarsGal that's an impressive  piece of research.
#1   United States Marine Band 1798
#2 The Handel and Haydn Society 1815

MarsGal

My new kitty inspired me to go looking for classical music about cats. I am positive there are one or two, but I can't think what right now. Aaron Copeland's Cat vs. Mouse doesn't appeal. I did find a piano playing cat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTshIvDM0ME and, of course, the Siamese cat song from Lady and the Tramp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG5mOd8Ubsk

so_P_bubble

Ha ha Lovely!  I never saw Lady and the Tramp!

Great idea!  Do you have anything about dogs?

PatH2

The Siamese Cat song is one of those that can stick in my head for days, so I won't play your clip, though if it's from the movie it's pretty cute.  What kind is your new kitty?  A gorgeous plump sleek pale grey cat with snowy white face and bib just moved in next door.

Eureka!  The cat in Peter and the Wolf.

Mary Ann

I went from the first piece by Nora to another, then from the Siamese cats I went to The King and I, listening and watching familiar scenes.  Now I'm visiting S&F while listening to Classical Masterpieces on TV.  I guess I went on a musical journey.

Mary Ann

so_P_bubble

I have been listening to Radio Suisse Classic the whole day.  I miss the X programs of Sundays.

Radioman34

It's been a hectic week and I have been terribly remiss in neglecting my quiz: my apologies.
The remaining clues are:

3: There was no number 3; I just noticed  lol

4: Name a composer who had two funerals.  Hint: there are two actually that I know of.  One was German and the other Italian.

5: This composer was caught up, but did not participate in a barroom brawl which inspired him to include a similar brawl scene at the end of the second act of one of his operas.  What is the name of that opera?  Hint:  The composer was German and the setting for the opera was in Germany

7: Musical clue:  This is from an opera and it's a collaboration of soloists and chorus.  If you can identify the opera that will suffice.

It's wide open now so answer as many as you like.

Radioman34

One of the most popular operatic duos involving cats is the short work wrongfully attributed to Rossini entitled  DUELING CATS  Some of the greatest divas have performed this.

MarsGal

PatH, Shan is a five week old, long-haired ginger. This is from the litter that Mom cat had parked by my garage for a few weeks. She and three of the kitties took to off and left little Shan behind. I told him to be brave the other day. Well, not only is he being brave, but he has graduated to bold. When I went to feed him this afternoon, he barreled through my legs and the door like a little runaway freight train. Lucy and Oscar just sat there and stared with wide eyes. I have to keep him out on the back porch until he gets his shots and de-fleaing. Right now, he is too young. Doc assures me that he will be okay out there (it is unheated and uninsulated, but enclosed).

angelface555

MarsGal, two pounds and 8 weeks is what now is advised altho some older vets adhere to the five-month rule as they haven't learned the newer procedure. I have been watching a YouTube Live about a kitten and her mother who had been dumped two previous litters before in or around Everett, Washington.

Lizzie, kitten, will be eight weeks on Tuesday but he took both mom, Shelby, and Lizzie for first vaccinations and flea treatments yesterday. Here is what was posted which I think you might find interesting. Lizzie was born on 08/29.

"Vaccines: Lizzie received her first set today (Oct 20) and Shelby got her boosters. Side effects of the vaccines are soreness & tiredness which can last anywhere from 12-48 hours. A rarer side effect is developing a limp and that could happen at any time over the seven days after. Any soreness could cause limping but limping kitten syndrome is a separate issue. Depending on the degree of soreness, they may be reserve against moving or cry out in pain when they move. If it does get bad enough that they cry out, the best (and really only) option is to let them cry themselves to sleep and they'll feel better when they wake up."

Radioman34

I think this quiz has died on the vine so I'll give it up and start work on a new one.
ANSWERS:
#4  (a)  Carl Maria von Weber:  he died in London 1826, and  4 years later his remains were transferred to Dresden and buried there where Richard Wagner delivered the eulogy.
(b) Giuseppe Verdi died on 21 January 1901.  Verdi was initially buried in Milan's Cimitero Monumentale. A month later, his body was moved to the "crypt" of the Casa di Riposo per Musicisti.  An estimated 200,000 people attended

#5 Die Meistersiger by Wagner

#6 https://youtu.be/9_XD-zN3Jg8  from La Traviatta by Verdi

PatH2

Thanks for the answers, Don.  They were driving me nuts, and I was traveling, without my usual resources.  Especially true of #s 5 and 6.  The answers were buried somewhere in my brain and I couldn't dig them out.

Don't give upon the quizzes.  They're fun, and maybe sometimes we need to stretch for answers.

MarsGal

Sorry I can't figure out most of the clues, Don. I have never been up on the backgrounds of composers or their compositions. I just listen to the music and create my own interpretation. Often, my interpretation clashes with what the composer actually intended. The best example I can give is  the Bacchanale from Saint-Seans' Damson and Delilah where I always think of Camel and horse troops racing across the desert with an interlude at an oasis, and of course, a clash of swords.