Random Image

Grandpa

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:18:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for November 1, 2019

Started by so_P_bubble, November 02, 2019, 03:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Be wary, Amy, snow is on the way.  We have the ground covered, not deep, but completely covered.  I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with the temperature; it's 27 F now.  I do have a hearing test for this afternoon but it's only a couple miles from here.  I have been trying to clear the wax from my ears for two or three days and I still think there is some in my ears. 

Shirley, I saw the picture of Callie; she is so pretty.  I love calico cats.  Kendrick has the orange color and only needs a few other colors to be calico.  As it is, he's an orange cat or ginger cat. 

Amy, I never heard of a trug but felt it must be some kind of container (especially since Kyle wanted to buy wood).  Lloyd's recipe boxes sound interesting, especially with the carving on them. 

With Veterans Day/Armistice Day/Remembrance Day, I can say I had family participants.  My dad was in WW I and Norm was in during the Korean War.  Dad was not overseas but Norm was in Germany.  I had cousins in WW II who were all over the place.  One was on the ship Southampton when it was hit and spent some time in the water.  Another was a medic in the South Seas.  It bothers me that there is so much hatred in the world but I know it will always be that way.

Jane, isn't it fun counting the days?  I kept my plans a secret until the last month and that was fun for me.

Gloria, I notice there are a few more posters this morning - at least by the time I showed up.

Mary Ann

Amy

To answer your question on trug...there are the ones Bubble posted plus this one
https://www.gardeners.com/buy/vegtrug-patio-garden/40-331.html

This is the one Kyle :smitten:  is building for me, saves the back when gardening  :thumbup:

Mary Ann, we are ready, wood box filed up and one more load in the garage to come in if needed and I am going to go and bring the snow blower in in case I need to have that first dance.

Now to get at my cakes!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Mary Ann

Amy, I can see how your trug-to-be would save  your back.  I've never heard the term before so it must be a Canadian/English thing. 

I look at ships on the St Clair River, the dividing line between Canada and the US/Michigan.  It was snowing so hard you could hardly see the ship on the river until it was even with the camera.  We do have a Winter Wonderland in Michigan.

Mary Ann

mycheal

WE HONOR WE WILL NEVER FOGET
THE FINAL INSPECTION
 The soldier stood and faced God,
 Which must always come to pass.
 He hoped his shoes were shining,
 Just as brightly as his brass.
 "Step forward now, you soldier,
 How shall I deal with you?
 Have you always turned the other cheek ?
 To My Church have you been true?"
 The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
 "No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
 Because those of us who carry guns,
 Can't always be a saint.
 I've had to work most Sundays,
 And at times my talk was tough.
 And sometimes I've been violent,
 Because the world is awfully rough.
 But, I never took a penny,
 That wasn't mine to keep...
 Though I worked a lot of overtime,
 When the bills got just too steep.
 And I never passed a cry for help,
 Though at times I shook with fear.
 And sometimes, God, forgive me,
 I've wept unmanly tears.
 I know I don't deserve a place,
 Among the people here.
 They never wanted me around,
 Except to calm their fears.
 If you've a place for me here, Lord,
 It needn't be so grand.
 I never expected or had too much,
 But if you don't, I'll understand.
 There was a silence all around the throne,
 Where the saints had often trod.
 As the soldier waited quietly,
 For the judgment of his God.
 "Step forward now, you soldier,
 You've borne your burdens well.
 Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
 You've done your time in Hell."
  Author Unknown

Amy

Just sat for a moment ..and read this mycheal, thank you for posting this and if you don't mind I am going to share with others..thank you!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Joy

Well, Good Afternoon !

It was sure nice to see more posters when I came in here. 

The "trug" sure is interesting to read about.  Amy, great that your husband is up to making you one. I can see how it would be easier on your back.  It will be nice to see the one he is making when it is finished.  Doesn't look like that one is as difficult to put together as the ones that have to have the staves curved. I love all kinds of baskets. 

A friend of mine wrote a message on FB yesterday, that they had gone to a anniversary party for a friend who lived in the town where the Longaberger baskets were made.  If any of you are familiar with those baskets, the factory where they were made was shaped just like a basket.  Well, the baskets have been discontinued for a couple years now, and the building will be converted to shops, condo's and a hotel.  The Longaberger baskets have always been very popular as gifts and especially for organizations and fire halls to have Longaberger Bingo Parties.  My friend said they are not that great in demand now, and she has seen them in the Goodwill stores for $1.  I have several that I had gotten for gifts, and I really do like them. Just a little interesting story if any of you are collectors.

The places on my face are beginning to look a little better.  But, I have no place to go this week, so I will just stay close. 

Jane, I would like the fruit cake that you said your mother used to make. I happen to like the candies fruits, like the citron and all the other different kind.  I like the Claxton fruit cakes from the grocery store, also.  I try to get a couple of them every year and keep them in the fridge.  Like them when they are real cold.  They are full of fruit and very little cake.   I think that I have gotten them at Wal-Mart.  They usually sell out quickly.

I have been very lazy so far today .  Don't plan on doing much.  Still have to put a few more dishes in the dishwasher and then will read and probably take a nap.   I love these lazy kind of days.

Mary Ann, they are calling for snow tomorrow, but no kind of accumulation to speak up.  Today, it is up in the 60's and looks like a pretty spring day.  Temperatures are supposed to drop by tomorrow afternoon.  Winter is sure coming quickly.

Lloyd, sounds like your property problems were solved in your favor.  I am so happy that it turned out so well.  I guess your travels will be put on hold until the weather gets warmer. 

Today, there will be no mail and the banks are closed. I think the schools are open tho.  I do know that the office here where I live, is also closed.  Pretty quiet all around.

Getting to be lunchtime, so will see what I can find.  I haven't been done my breakfast too long, so not really that hungry yet.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Joy
[/b]
BIG BOX

Carol

Peter, how interesting!  Thank you!

Joy:  Take care. I have a scar on my neck now but cancer free is worth it. 

Jane:  It is much healthier to quit the job.  Enjoy freedom! 

Lloyd Hammond

I thought I knew almost every thing But must have wrong I do not know what a trug Is. please tell me. we started out with frizzing drizzle then snow ,not enough to cover good.It is 21º and wind out of the north very cold and the furnace is running almost steady,the good part is we have not lost power. the gas co crosses our land and we are hooked up to it. we were supposed to get free gas when they crossed it but grand dad was mining coal and cutting wood and selling them so was not interested the gas. what  a good deal he let Pass. Oh well we are doing pretty good god is all in all taking good care of us. have the rest of the day good just as you like.

Lloyd

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

Wind chill report on internet home page has gone from 1º to 0º and "back up" to 2º.  I'm being a Recliner Radish (my version of Couch Potato).

I don't like the citron in fruit cakes.  Pie is the usual dessert at our family  holiday dinners.

Peter, very thoughtful essay.

Amy - love the Trugs.  It will keep Kyle busy for quite  while if he does it like the workmen in the video!

Joy,etc.  I'm going to dermatologist tomorrow to see about some spots on my legs. Have had the Mohs on one leg and another couple have been frozen..  So far. I haven't had any on face or neck.

Longaberg baskets were very popular here several years ago.  Did you ever hear it pronounced "Lon-a-bear-jay" (accent on "jay)?

Had a Facebook message exchange with Miss Ellen a few minutes ago.  They don't have performances today/tomorrow so she/roomie were on their way into Madison to do errands; it's about a 45 minute drive.  She said there's snow in The Dells but roads are okay.  Audiences were small for opening weekend but she said Wednesday's is supposed to be huge.  It is early for Christmas shows but I'm guessing Senior groups will be coming to the weekday matinees.
Sounds as if the 12 cast members are having fun together.

Back to my e-books.
[/size]

Amy

Callie, the trug is almost done..when Kyle wants to do somethin g it is done....no himmin or hawin about it.

Lloyd will send you a photo...just think of a cattle feeder or sheep v sides and there you have it!!
Jimmy Dean

Mary Ann

I just returned from a hearing test and I think it was more thorough than any I've had.  I think I did not learn anything new, but I think I will have a better deal than I've had in previous years.  I will pay a lot less than I have previously, the batteries are free for the life of the aids and service is free for the life of the aids.  The place is around the corner and down the hill from us (about two miles, maybe five minutes) so that is convenient too.  I told Tom that when/if he needs hearing aids, he should go there. 

Our snow has quit, at least for a while but there is plenty on the ground.  I haven't looked at the eastern side of the state yet.  I hope things clear up enough by the weekend so we can drive to Portland MI to see the new boy in our family. 

I hear someone shoveling our porch stoop.

Joy, I did not know Longaberger baskets were no longer being made.  I love baskets but none of what I have are Longabergers.  Isn't it interesting how things go out of style.  I read in the news section how the millennials are being blamed for many things to be discontinued - stores, foods, products - because they do not use them.  It will be an entirely different world in another generation.

Mycheal, a very timely poem; thank you.

Mary Ann

Amy

Mary Ann, we are now getting the snow, plows have been out putting g salt on the roads here. My son has a LOT more snow to thee south of us, told him he may have it :). While we were talking a fellow in a truck slid and took out a light standard. Best place to be is inside..

Trug is finished all but the liner which can wait till Spring and the dirt also. Gosh this will be so nice planting and not having to bend. :)
Jimmy Dean

Tomereader1

Amy

Tomereader..one can plant vegetables and or plants/flowers. It saves the back breaking work of planting on the ground.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Is Spring here yet:)  Trug is done all but two pieces of wood on top and the fabric cloth and soil.

.jpg Trug.jpg
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Oh dear.....BUBBLE help, sorry tis way too big :(
Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

Looks good for sheep or calf feeder, but to short for cows or horses.

Lloyd

JaneS

I love it!  If I were a lot younger, I'd want one but I'm aftraid it might be to late to spend that kind of money. 

My eyes are still a bit dilated from the dr visit so I think I'll go  to bed early.  I can't even see what I'm typing so forgive any errors. 

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

so_P_bubble

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  Just for fun, I've been waking up every morning with vertigo.  The last time this happened they sent me to a therapist and I do remember what she told me to do and I'm doing it.  It does seem to help but every morning it's taking longer.  I think it's time to seethe dr. again.  It does go away eventually but taking the doggies for that first walk in the morning is becoming an ordeal.  And leaning back to put drops in my eyes isn't possible. 

I wish you all a lovely day!
Make it your own in every way!

Amy

Good morning everyone..

The snow has stopped  and we didn't get much! Maybe 1 1/2 inches of light snow, which is enough.  Kyle is out dancing with the shovel . My appointment isn't until 10 with the RMT. Then home to clean and bag up the cakes from yesterday plus oatmeal cookies were made for the "boss".

Bubble, thank you.

Jane, hope you get some relief for that. I found even walking was difficult and I didn't drive either. The trug will make gardening a lot easier for me. I really enjoy playing in the dirt and this will help.

Lloyd, I am thinking some straw ,leaves compost in the bottom and then good top soil in it. Think the plants/seeds might like that.

Better get a move on.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. It is 10º here this AM and clear calling for high of 30º
today. I spent a miserable night. I ate too many raisins so spent too much of the night doing the bath room trots. hope to see you all later today felling much better.

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone. 46° to start the day. OK we have snow in the forecast for this afternoon, going to start as light rain. Might have a dusting to half an inch on grassy areas. Then tonight we are going into the deep freeze with temperatures in the mid teens.

JANE  most places were closed here yesterday. This state does remember Veterans (Armistice) Day. Lot of parades and celebrations for veterans. At the veterans cemetery here they had a  big "do" and a man almost 100 years old played Taps on his bugle. He did a good job, too. Could you please send me the recipe for that new fruitcake? With the help of my CNA I might be able to make one for my son. I sounds like something I would like, too.

AMY  for many years my oldest son wanted a cherry pie for his birthday instead of a cake. He still likes it. After Thanksgiving I was playing with cookie batter. I made about  5 different kind (3 batches for each kind) for my families Christmas. Would have been easier to shop for gifts but they liked what I made between cookies and fudge and coconut/date  balls. Great graphic you posted. I was thinking yesterday about family members that were in WW2. They all came home, one brother wounded and a BIL came home from N. Africa suffering from malaria. OK now what in the world is a TRUG?

JANE  if the cherry cake has a lot of cherries in it my son would like that, me, too.

LLOYD  cherry wood? bet that will shine up wonderful when you finish it. You mentioned making your recipe boxes before and I imagine they are beautiful. I am with you about pie but no pumpkin or mincemeat  pies. I would rather bake pies than cakes.

BUBBLE  thanks for the link. Wow lot of work involved and with chestnut wood they should last forever.

PHYLLIS  those old family recipes were wonderful and never to go out of the family. I have tasted some different things that I wished I had the recipe for.

MARY ANN  was so nice this morning to see all the posts. Only ones missing are CALLIE and JOY but maybe they will show up before I get to the end. I had one brother in Europe ( the only one wounded) and one in the Pacific who was a medic.

AMY  from what  they are saying on local weather will not have anything to shovel here if it only accumulates on the grassy areas. Bet my daughter would love a few of those trugs for the garden. They do have raised beds that they had to fill in with good soil. A neighbor has a big compost pile and gave them a few pickup truck loads of it.

MYCHEAL  I hope you do not mind but I copied your post to share. Beautiful and service men and women really deserve to be in Heaven.

JOY  I sure will not be doing out tomorrow. Supposed t o go down in the teens here tonight and I like being warm now.

CAROL  I have been retired  now almost 24 years and still love it.

CALLIE  must be disappointing  to have small audiences for the actors. It is  early for Christmas shows. I have seen some already on TV but too early for me to enjoy them.

JANE  I cannot  put drops in my eyes. Even the eye doctor I have has a problem doing it. I keep blinking no matter how I tell myself it is OK the drops will not hurt my eyes. When I had the cataract surgeries I went downstairs for my DIL to put the drops in.

Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JaneS

GLORIA, I sent the No Candied Fruit recipe to you.  Let me know if you get it or don't get it.  I seem to have two email addresses for you. 

Joy

Good morning.  Gloria, I am up and here, but not quite "at em" yet.  But, I did write a message in here yesterday. 

Amy, wow!  that sure was a quick job !  I have never heard that word "trug" before, but I have seen several different kinds of raised b beds to make it easier to work in.  I am sure you will be anxious to use yours.  I guess when your husband decides to do something,  he goes all out.  Looks like a great job  !

It is cold this morning and supposed to get colder the next couple days.  Our snow prediction is not supposed to amount to any big accumulation.  Just a messy "mess".

I have not been up long enough for anything exciting to talk about.  I need to get my medicine sorted out for the week, and then see what I can get into.

Have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

This is haircut day (every five weeks) and that is done.  After the haircut, Tom and I have breakfast at the restaurant next door.  This afternoon Robin will be here to clean and do whatever else I can think of.  I called my doctor's office about having my ears cleaned and they'll call me back.  It's been many moons since I had to call them for an appointment and things have changed - so what else is new???

It was 18 degrees at 7:45 this morning and is only 22 degrees now at 11 am.  It also is sunny and clear so that means low temps, if not during the day, but at night.  Walking is iffy but doable.

Mary Ann

Shirley

I've come & each time have to much I want to comment on so go putter around the house thinking I'll have more time to compose the post... By the time I get back I must read over all the posts again & go through the same mental process of, "I'll have to wait until I have time because y'all have go so many interesting topics to talk about".... So for now, I'll just go for it & not try to write a book!

Love the talk about the trug & enjoyed the link to basket making... and I also have 2 of the Longaberger baskets, gifts from my daughter & DIL... they now hold numerous items, one that resides on the no skid cover over the stove in the RV & other on the side "table" by the head of the bed in the RV.

Amy, I did send the photo/graphic of Once a Soldier to my brother, Navy during WWII, discharged, college & back in regular Army during Korean War... he finally retired as full Col. in Reserves. He has many tales to tell of those years. Who ever thought of that image really came up with a brilliant idea and exactly what we see with our Vets from OUR earlier years.

Mary Ann, did I mention that Callie cat is the mother of Tom & Tiger?  Amazing how they pass on those colors. I will show you a photo of Tom (one of these days) why we called him Buttercup before he became Tom. His eyes & whole body as yellow as his fur.

Gloria, Cas loved cherry pie & I'm an apple person, but when I made cherry pies I would slip all the cherries out of MY piece & onto his, he just thought the pie was extra full of cherries. I like the flavor but not the lumps. ::)

Jane, can't tell you how worried I am about your latest problem.... hope your doctor can figure WHY this is happening all of a sudden.... and can fix & not just cover up! Will be thinking of you in my prayers. Any chance you have a carbon monoxide leak that builds up by morning? When we first moved to Wichita & lived in a rental house, we had a man from the gas company check the furnace out & he "red tagged it"... couldn't use until it was fixed.

Callie, glad to see you are having spots on your legs taken care of. I've never been to a dermatologist & never been looked over by any doctor so hold my breath when the subject comes up. A long time dear friend called me some years ago, said she had a "little spot" removed from her leg. She loved gardening so spent a lot of time in the sun in short shorts... she didn't say at the time the doctor wanted her to do chemo or anything, but maybe a year or so later (we lived in different parts of the state) she called to say the spot had turned into a serious problem. Not long after that call I had one from her husband to say she had died.  I was stunned. With my problem of all meds having terrible side effects & now at my age, I don't want to know or think about it. BUT, am pleased you are being careful. You also will be in my prayers.

Lloyd, my husband, Cas, loved "projects" like your recipe boxes... one year he made bird feeders for everyone, his last big undertaking was to custom make golf clubs... for himself. He found a place that would sell him all the parts & even some of the professionals around here called him to find his supplier. When he died he had 17 sets of clubs, but some were bought or gifts (set of Pings when he retired)... The golfers in the family got first pick of whatever they wanted & I still have a lot in 2 bags waiting to be sold or donated. My youngest son used to enjoy golf so had him go through & put sets together & offered him the various tools Cas had bought to work with, even extra titanium shafts, grips & the heat gun to put them on.

Must get up & move... The sun is bright but still cold out... wind not blowing like yesterday so more comfortable! Have mounds of laundry waiting.

CallieOK

Good morning.

Sunny and no wind so cold is not a problem.  :thumbup:

Oh goodness, Shirley.  Dermo. appointment took 15 minutes and she "zapped" 4 spots on legs and 2 on an arm.  Zapper stings a bit when the tiny dot of foam hits but that's it. Spots will go away on their own.
Easy peasy.
Several years ago I had to have surgery on a place that had grown to look like a crusty pimple.  That involved out patient surgery under local anesthetic but the worst part was waiting for the "relaxation" med to wear off.

Not trying to minimize seriousness of skin cancer but keeping up with difference in age spots and something worse usually takes care of it. The spot I was concerned about today was "aging"; recommendation...use skin cream.

Now need to have lunch and get to hair appointment.

CUL8R

Mary Ann

Not too long ago, I had a small lump on my nose that I paid little attention to, but I did finally monkey with it enough to draw blood.  My nurse niece told me I should see about it because it could be skin cancer.  I checked and it was; it was the skin cancer removal I had October 1.  I wonder what would have happened if I had not monkeyed with it.  I have not been a sun worshiper since my teens but it seems the chickens are coming home to roost now.  I have had three skin cancers since 2005, all on my face. In January I will have a body check.  I keep telling myself that I am too old for that, but I will have it and I hope I will have nothing urgent. So I urge anyone to have unusual spots checked. The only thing I had to put on my "spot" was Vaseline; are you allergic to that, Shirley?

I now have my appointment for having my ears cleaned out - Wednesday afternoon.  That way my ears should be clean for next week when I get my new "ears".

Shirley, I remember your saying that Callie is the mother of Tom and Tiger.  I moved Kendrick's bed in this room and he has been occupying it most of the time now.  Wherever I am, he wants to be.  He is 100% indoor cat!

I think my favorite pie is cherry pie and I used to take one to gatherings.  Nowadays it is so easy - buy two crusts, empty the cherry pie mix onto the bottom crust, do your thing with the top crust and bake the pie.  Eat and enjoy.  And people think you've baked a homemade cherry pie.  Now, my mother used to bake cherry pies from the cherry tree in our back yard so she did have to pit them.  Not necessary today.  Tom doesn't like cherry pie so we don't have it often as I don't want to eat the whole thing!

Mary Ann

Denver

A good Tuesday to EVERRYFRIEND
I must be getting ready to head out the door, but wanted to just come in and say HELLO.

We are going to a gathering of the new home owners of the condo that we are thinking about buying.  I hope to pick their brains a bit about a couple of concerns that I have.

AMY, the trug that Kyle built is very nice and I am sure it will make it much easier for you to do your planting in.....I have never heard the name "true" before either.  That Kyle did a great job and boy when he takes on a task he gets'er done, doesn't he? 

JANE, I am sorry to read you are now dealing with vertigo.  I sure hope the exercises you are doing will get this under control and you will not have to go to the doctor. 

I have to get a move on.  Have a great day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"