Random Image

pat-junee

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for January 1, 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, January 01, 2020, 01:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallieOK

Good Morning,

I've heard that some of the streets were/are icy this morning but all I know about is what I can see from my windows.  That's a "dusting" of snow (which might just be frozen leftover rain) and a dry driveway.  Don't intend going any farther.

Gloria,  the contestants on the Jeopardy "Tournament of Champions" include the guy from Las Vegas but not a bartender from Austin.  This isn't the regular show.  Here's a link to an explanation:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/special-tournament-stories/only-1-champ-will-be-greatest-all-time

Phyllis,  I'm with you about the texture of rhubarb. Feel the same way about celery.  The only time I've liked rhubarb is the one time I had rhubarb cream pie.

I finished sorting/stacking 6 months of the file yesterday. Hoping to get the other 6 months done today.
That particular "round tuit" keeps disappearing due to several series on Netflix with new seasons and e-books that keep appearing in my loans on the tablet.  ::)

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day

Amy

We have water all about ,coming down  and laying around in ponds/puddles all over!! The temp has plummeted since this morning so everything will soon be ice. Put more feed out for the birds as where it was is now under water.

Mary Ann, put a recipe  here for you..

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?topic=555.new#new
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Mary Ann

The recipe sounds good, Amy, and I saved it.

Callie, Rhubarb Cream Pie sound good too.  I have not heard of or seen around here.  If offered, I'd eat it.

Tom has left for Holland and I think he'll make it OK because with 50 degree temps last night, the roads are still warm.  He won't be back until evening and I have no idea what things will be like then.  I'm happy to stay inside.  I asked Tom to check the mail and as he did not come back inside, I know it was junk. 

Mary Ann

Denver

A good Saturday morning HELLO to EVERYFRIEND 🦋

I can't believe it is the weekend once again....this week just flew by! 

AMY, so pleased to read that all is well with Kyle, and you were able to enjoy a nice rest of your day.

GLORIA, many people did not see the special show on Jeopardy, but it was advertised and commented on quite a bit, depending on what channels you watch, so you were not alone.  It will be on again next TUESDAY on CBS.

BUBBLE, it is good to see you back and hear that you are feeling much better.

My hubby has been down and out for 3 days with a cold....and it is not much better if any again today.  We have Lola Doodle here as Dave is having some work done at his home and they have to lock Lola up to keep her safe, so she has been here since Monday.

It is cold here, but we did not get much precipitation from the storm that is headed East now. 

I hope you all all having a good day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

JaneS

Well, MARY ANN I'm another who won't be in church tomorrow.  I started out to drop some papers off for my son and got half way there and the car died.  I got it started again and drove it straight to the shop.  They took a quick look at it and decided I needed more than they had time for today so it's spending the weekend there and they will work on it on Monday.  They gave me a rid home and home I'll stay until Cathy picks me up tomorrow for some shopping. 

Now I'm going to go and see if the zzzzs are piling up on the sofa and try to use some of them up.  Controversy always makes me tired. 

And my eyes are burning.  They need some drops and a little rest.  And that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Mary Ann

Jane, I'm sorry to hear about your car.  In a way, I know what you are going through.  Tom bought a used car in 2016 that had many, many miles on it.  He is hoping he can get the mileage to 300,000 and he may yet.  However, there are noises in the car and when I ask  about them, he'll tell me it is something that would cost $500+ and I've told him to not put big money into maintenance.  He has taken care of the car as far as oil changes are concerned and he does a lot of driving.  I think when the weather is better he will look for another car and I will help him buy it.  It will be his car, but he is at my beck and call when I have an appointment. 

I hope your car is returned sooner than what the servicement plan!

I did look out and see snow on the ground.  I am very  happy to be inside and especially without transportation, I'll stay here!  Dot is  staying in too.

Our winter storm warning is in effect until sometime Sunday.  At least it's not a blizzard.  Yet!

Mary Ann

Lloyd Hammond

good afternoon, we had rain then freezing rain then snow. maybe the wet ground lower'd the depth.but we got about a short 2" measure of it. that is ok this way I won't make no snow cream and you sweet hearts won't have to scold me.
Nancy got diabetic cook book and is using it. she has also  bought some foods for diabetics, artificial sweeteners in them, and to my surprise they taste pretty good. we lost power for about 2 hours today. our house is well insulated and holds heat very good. we keep it on 74º and that 2 hours with out power only drooped the inside temp, to 69º. and the wend was strong out of the north. but we both often when setting in our easy chairs put lap blankets over us up to at least our chest. seams like us old folks blood is thinner. If i do not get back tonight Have sweet dreams.

Lloyd

Shirley

Nice to see so many show up this evening! Jenny, been so busy keeping everyone put together it's hard to find time to just sit & visit. Sorry Bob is fighting a cold, know y'all will watch out for him, extra hug from this older sister.

Mary Ann, You are so wise and fair dealing with Tom, you are both lucky to have each other at this stage and know you appreciate each other. Wise lady, and in my world I would tell you that Norm is watching and gives you a hug to thank you, maybe you feel his presence now & then? I miss Norm's teasing as I'm sure you do.

Awwww, Jane, never a good time for a car to break down but at least it made it through the holidays & getting you RETIRED! Hope they can fix without too much time & parts.

Amy, I also went out to give the birds extra food this morning. Several of the neighbors that fed every day have moved so not sure who feeds anymore. They looked frantic this morning, searching the feeder & ground below. Ice covered & no shelter, was thinking about how to fix them a place where the food wouldn't get snow covered. That wind was blowing so hard last couple days it just rocks the feeders. Years ago I always had lots of doves that like to eat on the ground but only now & then do I see any.

Lloyd, glad Nancy got the cookbooks, sure is a change of what to eat. Like my neighbor said about choosing a piece of apple pie or a baked potato.... it's your choice!  Won't be long until spring and warmer weather. Soon be Feb and it warms up in March, right?  I always get a package of tomato seeds to start in cups in the house in Jan.... and plant outside by the middle of March (with those gallon milk jugs over them)... helps shorten the winter months, just pick a nice east window for sun & they pop up!

Bubble, hope you are all well by now, no word for a while so check in when you get time! My son's grands have had fever & throwing up bug this week so he is exposed but keeps taking Airborne. He swears by it. What is your weather like these days?  I hold my breath when backing my little car out of the garage & know that whole pad is solid ice, right up to where the motorhome is parked. I'm sure I will slide into it on these dark Sunday mornings. Once I get side by side the snow or ice is melted by the sun. I checked while ago & solid ice for about the length of the car right out the door. Bummer...Most of the snow is gone where the sun could hit, even though I don't think we got above freezing today. Take care, you are very important to all of us!  :yes: 

I'm off to take my Sat night bath/shower and lay out my clothes for morning. Sweet dreams to all and God bless!

Amy

Good morning everyone.

Nasty weather out there this morning. Started during the night as I heard the ice pellets hit the side of the house. This is going to be interesting on moving it, may have to do it by hand??

Jane, oh no, car break down is not fun, I too, hope it is an easy fix for you.If  you are getting what we are staying home is a good thing today. Roads  could be very slippery with the ice pellets.

Shirley, looks as though I may also have to look for a better place to put feed. It didn't take long for the birds to find it in the new spot yesterday but not sure that will be a good one today.

Mary Ann, our storm started last night and is still going strong..hope by day light it peters out.We also like a rhubarb custard pie, maybe that is the same as the rhubarb cream pie?

Jenny, thank you, we were delighted with the report . Hope Bob feels better soon. Doodles are such smart loving dogs..

Lloyd, you can find lots of diabetic recipes on line too..

Enjoy your day everyone..stay safe!

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

so_P_bubble

The cough and dripping nose don't want to part with me; but I am better and can stay out off bed for the whole day without being exhausted.
The weather is still extremely cold for Israel -under 10C (50F) that is unbearable for me even with the heater on. My bad circulation of course makes it feel even more. Our houses are not well insulated and the icy wind seeps through :(  It's the problem with big sliding windows in every room. In US you are more used to real winters.
I am bundled up in three layers of winter clothes and with a knitted cap covering my hair and ears. Quite a sight I am sure!

I wish I could have a roaring wood fire in front of me to warm my hands.
But then I think of Australia and I realize that I should not complain, it is so much worse there.

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I see that I forgot to say "good night" last night but I have a really good excuse.  Frankie called to say that she had a ride and would like to come spend the evening and the night with me.  Of course, I said "COME".  We got wrapped up in talking and reminiscing and walking the doggies in the dark and were still talking strong when it was time to go to bed. 

AMY, we are definitely NOT having the kind of weather you are.  We are in the midst of our January Thaw.  The temperature right now is 58 degrees and it hit the 60s yesterday.  I know we're in for some hard weather in February but I'm enjoying every minute of this winter break.  Saving on the oil bill, too!

Cathy will be picking me up later and we're going to go look at floors....the kind that look like hardwood without all the "hard" work involved.  We're also going to take a look at area rugs on the way.  She's the one in my family who got the decorating sense.  I'm not sure who she got it from because it wasn't me and it certainly wasn't her father's family.  Maybe it was my FIL's family.  There were some very nice pieces of furniture passed down through his family. 

Anyway, that's my day for today.  If we happen to be out at lunch time, maybe I can convince her to let me buy her lunch.  I don't get to do that very often. 

I better wrap this up.  it's almost time for the boinger and I have two doggies to feed this morning.  Frankie is always accompanied by Cooper and he's such a sweetie but he always gets hungry when it's time to feed Mickie.  So I oblige and Frankie sleeps in an extra hour!

I wish you all a lovely day!
Make it your own in every way!

And share with us HOW you "made it your own".

Added note!  BUBBLE, I'm glad you are feeling better and I hope your weather changes for the better soon.  I know how it is to be cold and not be able to get warm.  You're outfit sounds like some of my winter get-ups.  It seems the older I get the less I can take the cold!

Shirley

Me, too, not handling the cold like I used to. I know I don't move as much as a few years ago so probably one reason my body won't build up steam, goodness, remember when we used to be in a hurry to "grow up?"

Bubble, I know what you mean about the doors & windows, this house has sliding doors in every room with same size window for the door to slide past, but the original owner that we bought from had installed heavy, dark tinted windows & doors over every existing window & door. Helps in summer & winter, but only way to get fresh air is to open a door, those storm windows only come off with major work & hefty men to be able to lift off. I discovered when out camping that "hoodies" are perfect for cold weather sleeping or just messing around, keeps the back of the neck warm as well as ears & head. I shop for all cotton because the other fabrics don't breathe & I get too hot. Hope your mild weather returns soon.

Better go see how bad the ice is on the driveway, I'm sure the streets are clean except where the water has re-frozen & black ice can spin a car around fast. I like a challenge. ;)

Wishing all a happy day. I also envy you that wood fire, Amy. My fireplace chimney needs to be cleaned & checked out, one of those jobs you don't think about when not needed and nobody wants the job when freezing cold!

Mary Ann

As usual, the forecast was worse than actual.  We had rain last night and I don't know if roads are slippery or not, but we did not get the winds or snow predicted.  The forecast was so bad that Dot called she was not going to church this morning.  And when Dot does not go to church, I don't either, because she is the driver.  Neither my church nor Tom's church were listed on TV as being closed.

My condo unit is an inside unit, so I have "insulation" on both sides.  I do have a northern exposure with a slider and if the wind comes from the north, I notice the cold but the south exposure is the front door and two windows with a brick exterior.  I have a very small gas bill - $41 a month.

Much of our state will see worse weather than we are having so I am thankful for that. 

I saw a report from Petoskey (200 miles north of here) about Lakes Michigan and Huron and water levels.  It said over 3% of the lakes were frozen so far this year and that was a high percentage and it would mean the lakes would have high water levels again this year and it would also mean more shore erosion. 

Mary Ann

Gloria

Sorry everyone but this morning even my notepad messed up. I was ready to post and the whle thing went blank so now I will type in the box. I am alive and that is good. 63 now, did I fall asleep last night and wake in the middle of May?  Crazy this warm in January.  Have a good rest of the day and I will try, too.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Amy

Gloria, I thought we would have to send the posse out for you. :)

Snowblower won't touch the packed ice, neighbour came over with his plow and did the main drive, I did use the blower at the back just making a trail for the dogs.

Shirley, check your email.
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Hello Friends!  Cathy wore me out with the shopping today.  We did stop for lunch and then did some more shopping.  I told her she wore me out.  We were gone 5 hours and we weren't sitting down any time except for lunch.  But we accomplished a lot!

Now I'm off to Dreamland and I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Amy

Good morning everyone.

No new snow to deal with this morning.. :thumbup:

House cleaning chores but first I need to go to town for more bird seed as I am scraping the bottom of the barrel. Can't have the birds holding their tummies crying for food!

Jane, what a fun day you must of had, today you can rest! Now aren't you enjoying retirement?

Slept in so I had better boogie!

Enjoy your day everyone.
Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

Good morning AMY you are up with the chickens as usual. 29º and cloudy. calling for high of 49 and become sunny according to the weather guesser. Have a good day today everyone

Lloyd

phyllis

Good morning. Really dreary here today but warm.  It is 68 already and supposed to go into the 70's.  Very strange weather.  Laundry is the only thing I have planned so nothing exciting to look forward to.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend! I've been awake since 4 a.m. and up since a little before 5.  I've had something on my mind and when I woke up it invaded and wouldn't let me go back to sleep. So I got up and dealt with it and I feel better already.

AMY, you are absolutely right!  I had an almost perfect day yesterday and I'll take one of those whenever I can get it.  Among other things, Cathy told me that next weekend is one of the Amish Store's twice yearly 20% off EVERYTHING weekend and do I want to go.  You all know my answer to that question!  If I don't stock up on anything but paper goods, I'll be ahead!  It's already more than a dollar less than the supermarket and with 20% off that yet, I can't lose!

I hope the birdies aren't crying for their food.  That might not be a pretty sound!

I have no plans for today but one of the workers is supposed to be here to install a storm door on the front of my house.  And I think he has one more thing to do too but I forgot what.

Our weather has dropped back in to winter temps.  It was 28 when I got up this morning and it's only up to 30 right now.  It is heading for a high of 50 and I'll take that but it won't stay at that temp very long.

Lloyd Hammond

phyllis I was reading your post about the weather there.Let me know where you live what state and aerie of it,If i can talk Nancy in to traveling in in the motor Home soon we may knock on your door and take you out to dinner and have a good visit. Janes can verify we are safe friendly people. Only problem with her she Paid for our Meal and would not let me pay for it like a gentleman should. so some day I will figure out how to get even with her.

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone. I will try notepad again and see what happens. It was hard to believe the 60's over the week end. January thaw? We had nothing to thaw so far. Already in the 40's this morning and no sun again. So tired of these gloomy days so the sun all day yesterday was a treat.I did spend a few hours outside yesterday. Woke late again and have not heard about a CNA for today. I am about ready to call my insurance and tell them I am not getting the help they want for me.

JANE  if  the shopping wore you out the other day, imagine how I felt when my son took me a couple of ago. Took a week for me to recuperate from it. I did enjoy the afternoon but paid for it later. I stocked up on a lot of things and still having t rouble finding a place for everything.

Sorry I have not replied to everyone but getting late and want my breakfast and get  dressed before someone shows up.

Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JaneS

WHERE.....WHERE....where.....IS....IS.... is....EVERYONE..... ONE....one?  There's an echo in here!

Shirley

Bedtime in Kansas & I'm ready. I was a little hungry so fixed me a poached egg on crackers like my mother used to fix for us when we didn't know what we were hungry for. Have to eat in a big mug with a chunk of butter over those crumbled crackers. Also heated me a big cup of coffee so that will help put me to sleep fast.

Tom just walked past me wanting out only I was on the phone & not paying attention, so he backed up to a box on the floor & "claimed" it... then he tried to cover it up but how do you cover a puddle on hardwood floors?  I yelled & son tried to hang up but I could reach the door to let Tom out & still talk... also could reach the paper towels to clean up the puddle because this old wall phone has a 25' cord on it & will reach all around the room. The portable phone will reach but I can't get it to stick between my shoulder & ear & keep talking. After Tom went out Callie thought she should so only one inside is Tiger & she went to the basement. Callie bosses the kids & they back off when she swats them & hisses, but when Tom is outside she wants out with him. She will be at the front door before I turn out the lights, but Tom may stay out for hours since it is above freezing. He knows to come to the bedroom sliding door & somehow I can feel him watching me sleep.. will wake up & let him in. Cats rule in this house!

Wishing all sweet dreams, Gloria, hope your fav CNA gets back soon, I can imagine how good a back rub would feel. Do you eat in your room a lot or "with the group?" A friend of mine lives in John Knox Village in Lee's Summit, MO & they have 6 or 7 places to eat on the site.  Several of the places he can get to without going outside. I wish there was something like it here, but not, and prices are half what we pay here. Ah, well.. tonight, after cleaning up Tom's mess, I am ready to move! By morning I will be giving him a hug.

JaneS

I sure hope we don't lose this site because of inactivity!  I'm off to bed now and I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

Denver

Coming in to say "goodnight" to EVERYFRIEND! We have been watching the LSU / Clemson game and it is definitely time to head off to bed.

We had a Bobcat cross the two driveways across the street this afternoon and since we have a camera out front we captured it and shared it with the neighbors.  I feel badly for these poor wild animals....we have moved into their area and they have no where to go.  If I knew how I would post the video.

I got a picture of my Dad's wound on his arm today and I could not believe how good it looked.  He was to the doc this morning and they unwrapped it and said it was good now and they would not wrap it anymore.  It has been three weeks since he fell and ripped it open and he sure did a great job of healing....I am so thankful.

Michele unfortunately came down with this cold bug that so many have right now.....she has surprisingly managed to stay pretty healthy throughout her chemo and radiation time, in spite of the kids coming home with a few bugs.  This cold really got her though, like it has to most people that caught it.  She will go for her PET scan in early February and of course she is hopeful she will get a clean report....positive thoughts and prayer for that🙏🙏🙏

I am sorry we do not have more posters also as I sure do not want to loose our special place! 

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Today is to be nice, tomorrow not so. I am going to do what I should have done yesterday. Yesterday we tackled snow by the mailbox, Kyle chopped into it while the snowblower blew it away. Being in a rural area  need to keep the snow away from the mailbox so the driver can get in close to put the mail in it.
May be wise just to get on with the day, not mentioning what needs to be done and get it done!

Jane, by the time I got all shook up with the snow blower I was tuckered. Not going to complain as we have had an easy winter.....so far. I did half a batch 8 cups of milk for the yogurt and got 2  peanut butter jars full 2.2 lb jar. Leaving this the way it is not putting it into Greek yogurt. I find that if I use the mixer/beaters on it ,it doesn't separate as much.

Shirley, as kids Mom would give us eggs in a mug with butter ,my egg would be hard boiled along with a piece of toast. Pets always rule the home.....wouldn't have it any other way.

Gloria, hope your CNA came and did what you wanted them to do.

Jenny, prayers for Michelle, ,her immune system is down and she will pick up colds etc quick.

Phyliss, hope you have a great day today, no vertigo!!

Lloyd, how are you doing , know it is not easy  following the diabetic menu but like a lot of others you can do it.

Joy and Rolly......hope you both pop in and say hello...

Darn. now thanks to Janes echo and my hello again I have Little sir echo singing in my head!!

https://www.bing.com/search?q=+little++sir+echo+bing+crosby&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=little+sir+echo+bing+crosby&sc=1-27&sk=&cvid=B07F846194BB410389EB287E9E7BB1F8

Enjoy your day everyone..

Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I slept better again last night and I think I might have found at least one of the culprits that are invading my sleep.  A while back I decided that my pillow needed replacing and that's when I began not sleeping as well.  Two separated times in the last two weeks, I chose to use my old pillow and those are the two times that I slept through the night.  I'm giving it another shot tonight and if I sleep through tonight, that new pillow goes on the other bed.

JENNY, I said a prayer that Michele will weather this last trial of a cold.  She's a real trooper and I'd sure be happy to have her on MY team.  You must all be very proud of her.  And I'm so happy for your father!  He sounds like a fighter, too!

Don't know what's coming my way today.  I got my car back yesterday and it didn't break the bank but they told me it has another problem that needs attention in the near future so I'll be keeping that in mind. 

I think I might start on the back room today.  It's about 12 years past time.  Nothing like putting things off, right?  it's going to take me about 12 years to get through this one!  Maybe that's why I keep putting it off!  Oh well....

And come in here and tell us about it!  Good morning AMY.  You sneaked in while I was writing!

Amy

Jane, I would like to say I have my sneakers on but I am bare foot .
Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone,40º and calling for 48º for a high here,Is partly cloudy. Hope you all are having just the kind of weather you want. have a great day.

Lloyd