Random Image

Isle Of Mann Flag

Owner: RAMMEL
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:00:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for February 15, 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 15, 2020, 01:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneS

P.S. GLORIA, everyone can "hop like a bunny" in here!  This is a special place where we can do whatever suits our fancy!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Shirley

Well, guess that was yesterday, Gloria. I am up again, was up at 5:00 am but attem stayed in bed so I ate, fed cats first & we all went back to sleep. Have plenty to do around here, going to open the RV & put some of the "stuff" back inside that was washed & gathered up after the last trip. Haha, takes months to get me moving!

Don, glad you are going back into business with your show, good for you & all the others that live there. I have an oldies radio show that keeps my body moving any time a tune comes on that we danced to in the '50s (or late '40s). Moves a few muscles that don't get exercised any other way.

Gloria, bet you'd join me on that Sno-Nut if we got together to play in a foot deep snow. Probably be too sore to move next day, head willing but body shot, huh? I'll probably be laying on my death bed, yelling, "But I haven't had a chance to ski, hang glide or see Alaska yet!"

Got to get a move on, nearly noon & I have nothing to show for this spring day! Poor plants are going to really get a jolt when winter returns after a week end of 60s & one weather man thinks it may go up to 70 degrees! No more Easter egg hunts in this yard. Cas used to work his magic to hurry up the grass, always the first in the neighborhoods to be mowing, but the yard was ready for the egg hunt, no matter how early! Happy thoughts for the day!  Shirley

Joy

Good afternoon.  All by myself today and it is lonlely.  Have not had any  PT today at all.  But sometimes they come late.  I am supposed to have it twice a day.  I do feel better , I think.  Lol. Washed and dressed with minimal help.  I can't bend over so need help with getting my slacks on.  They will teach me how to do that with a grabber.  Still have a long way to go..  They are going to show my daughter in law how to get me in the car to go to the surgeon on Wednesday.  She is a retired physical therapist and knows about how to do that.  So that will save an ambulance ride.  Will be glad to hear how he thinks I am doing.  My son will meet us there. Thanks for you kind wishes.  Just wanted to check in.  Joy
BIG BOX

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

I struggle to follow posts about health issues/pet care/household chores/etc. with what sounds like a frivolous life - but Janie wants us to "(have) a lovely, healthy day! Make it your own in every way!And be a bunny and hop back in here and share it...! so Here Goes:

Amy,  the best thing I can say about Bridge yesterday is that lunch was tasty and the company was fun.  ;)

I had planned to come home from a podiatrist appointment this morning to do desk work and read.  However, I learned via text and phone calls that:

Sir Carson, who is a Construction Management major at OSU,  has accepted a summer internship with a Texas construction company and will be based in Denton. He called after I texted him that I knew and we had a wonderful conversation about that and other things.  :smitten:

Miss Emily, who will graduate next December as "Dr. Emily, Chiropractor", has accepted an invitation to a Service/Mission trip in Mexico between the spring and summer trimesters. She has never had "one foot in the air and her hand on the doorknob" like her sister, Miss Ellen. So going out of the country is a Big Step for her.  Had already had some conversations with her about this.

Also discovered on Facebook that a couple in my hometown has restored part of an historic building into what looks like a lovely restaurant.  My family was connected with the building from about 1907 until 1967. One picture was of a sign for a business my grandfather/great-uncle began that the couple found and put up on the wall.  I've touched base via "instant message" with the wife and will be hunting up some other history and mementoes to share.

Really need to take care of the desk work but reading may have to wait.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere a "Frabulous Friday".

Mary Ann

Every one of you has been much more busy than I have been.  I am listening to music on the Music Choice channel on the TV and it's nice to not have get up to change channels every hour.  I learn about familiar composers and new composers every day.  It is background music for me because I forget it is on.

Lloyd mentioned working with snow plowing in the "good old days" and it made me think of the days  my dad and I went to Glacier Park before the snow was plowed and rangers would tell us how the roads were plowed and that they lost some drivers who drove off the roads and were lost because the snow was so deep.  We loved driving those roads  in  late Spring with snow on each side of the road. 

Tom and I are still weary from our illnesses but Tom will not sit still and I think if he'd stay in bed two days in a row, he'd heal faster.  I wonder if I will ever  get back to near what I was.  I'm good at sitting, but the cat is impatient.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Mary Ann,  I often say the physical activity I do best is "Sit Still".   Relax and enjoy - especially the music.

JaneS

CALLIE, I'd like to know if you REALLY sit still.  Are you turning pages, shifting papers around.  Are your eyes darting here and there?  Did you notice that bird fly past the window?  What was that you just put in your mouth?  Ooops!  I think you just uncrossed your legs!  Was that an itch you scratched on your elbow!  Even if we say we're doing nothing we're actually DOING nothing so we're doing something!  And that's all I have to say about that!

I wish you all a peaceful night's sleep and a happy, healthy tomorrow.  And may God bless us, every one!

CallieOK

Jane,  well..... you might be surprised.  I was reading while waiting for my car to be worked on and the guy who came to tell me it was ready thought I was asleep.  ;D 

Denver

Friday evening HELLO to EVERYFRIEND.  I had quite the post written when one slip of the finger managed to make it go POOF!  Gurrr!

Bob went to the PT yesterday and they were surprised that he was so bad after the first session.  He was better during the day the; again this morning he was dizzy as always.  As the day progressed he did better and better. Therapist told him if he got worse they would fit him in on Monday as his next appointment is not until Wednesday. 

CALLIE, congratulations to Carson for the summer internship.  I hope it goes very well for him .  Also, happy to read the news about Emily. How exciting for her. 

DON, it is great to see a post from you.  Sorry to read you were ill and in the hospital.  Glad you are feeling better.  How exciting you are going to do your show for the lucky folks there in your little community.  If they enjoy it half as much as I did they are in for a real treat! 

SHIRLEY, I had to chuckle at the thought of you and GLORIA on the sno-nut!  I bet you could have a great time!

GLORIA, I know you will be very happy when your son and DIL are home safe from their cruise.  Yesterday we talked to our youngest son and he has come down with a terrible cold.....worrisome because he is the one that just returned from a trip to Mexico.  We really do not think there is any chance it is this awful virus that we are hearing all about, but it does make one a bit uneasy.

Pleasant dreams to all,

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Gloria

Good morning everyone, I am so tired of temperatures in the 20's and the wind we have been having. It was nice and sunny yesterday and I went out when my CNA left and turned around and came back inside.
I woke early this morning but that's OK, I get to see some old programs on the ME channel. But really feel like going back to bed. I woke hungry so having a cup of coffee now and then my breakfast. Maybe snooze on the couch after?

JANE  gee if I can hop in here any one want to play Hopscotch? Wow have not played that since grammer school-about 80 years ago.

SHIRLEY  guess we can still do all those things--IN OUR DREAMS. I did get on skis once and looked down the hill and said no way so hang gliding is out too. I prefer my 2 feet on the ground.

JOY  good seeing your post. Every thing takes time so you will be moving around like you are used to.

CALLIE  looks like you have grands to be proud of. They are doing what they want for a life's work.

MARY ANN  wish we were we still had those good old days today when we were all healthy and did every thing we wanted.

JENNY  if I was to get on Shirley's Sno Nut someone would have to get me up. Have to ge careful I do not even kneel on the floor, would never be able to get up on my own.

Have a good day.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

roley

G'Morning All. Sorry I have not 'looked in' for a while but have been rather 'off colour for the past few weeks, what with twice weekly visits from the community Nurses, Hospital visits as well as having to callout the emergency nurses, my other half also has had her fair share of troubles !, between us both we have kept OUR 'N H S' (National Health Service) rather busy to say the least !,now i can only say 'Thank goodness' this month has ended !, it seems by reading the past few weeks letters in here that several others have also been unwell ! since Christmas, I send my best wishes to all and hope that like me, you all are slowly making a recovery.
I have not heard anything from Lloyd for some weeks now, has anybody any news of him ?, I hope he has not been involved in anymore 'mishaps' again !.
I see you are getting plenty of 'snow' thank goodness so far we have not had any, plenty of windy and wet weather coming up the English Channel but at last there are  some signs of spring in the air! :thumbup:.
                                 Cheerio for now. Roley  :)

Amy

208a3053-a87e-4638-8cee-b6ddda3ea760.jpgCold outside.jpg
Good morning everyone.

What a difference in temperature -23° F at the moment. Debating on hanging laundry out but hmm....maybe not. The snow is deep and I think the sheets would drag unless I hung them length ways.

Laundry to do and will see about snow blowing the back yard. As Callie says Domestic Duties are calling me.

Will deliver a banana loaf  bit latter on and that should be it.
Picked up a 55 lb bag of cracked corn yesterday for the crows and when we drove in 3 crows were waiting on it. We did have a laugh over that. The other birds, jays ,juncos, sparrows and doves are also eating it.

Gloria ,hope you find some zz's later today.
Roley, so nice to see you and I hope both you and your wife feel a lot better.

Time to get ready for the day..

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  My daughter from Maryland arrived last evening aroung 7 and we've been talking a blue streak every since.  I'm sure today will be a full day!

Right now, Mickie and I are waiting out her pill and then we'll see about breakfast.  Christy and Frankie are still seeping so I'm trying to be quiet!  Christy has to get up pretty early every day and Frankie has always liked to sleep in so I don't want to wake them.  Must be nice to be able to sleep like that!

ROLEY, keep on improving in health and keep on coming back in.  If you go back in the postings, you'll see some from LLOYD and they might explain what he's been up to!

I wish you all a lovely, healthy day!
Make it your own in every way!

And "HOP" back into share it with your nosy but interested and caring friends!

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone. Joy just keep on getting better. Peter good to see you posting. I have not Had any more mishaps lately thank god for that. sorry you and yours Have been Having health issues. I pray you get where we can have our regular visits like we did on Skype. we got a $1,000 of gravel on our drive way yesterday that should keep us out of the mud for a while. Gloria just wrap warm and take short strolls and get some clean fresh air in your Lungs. see you all Latter.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

Peter I forgot to tell you I have spent some time in the Hospital. they rotter rooted out the two stents i already, had and put two new ones in.
I am breathing easier and feeling better as a result of it as well, I hope you continue to get better Give gene a hug for us and we  will see soon I hope. I sure miss our visits on Skype.

Lloyd

phyllis

HAPPY SADIE HAWKINS DAY!

It's a beautiful sunny morning here even though it is a bit chilly.  I have nothing planned so I should scratch around the nest a little bit, I think.

Take care, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Phyliss, "scratch around the nest" gave me a chuckle. I haven't heard that one before.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Shirley

Oh, Phyllis, I haven't thought of Sadie Hawkins Day for years! Always a big deal back in high school since girls didn't usually as boys for dates & that was the big day!  One year my best friend & I volunteered to make giant characters (all those Dog Patch people) to tie to the floor to ceiling columns in the lunch room that we converted to dance floor .... so we had people donate mattress boxes to the art room, which was on 3rd floor of the high school... and found we had to take them down to ground level lunch room to paint. My friend had a wicked sense of humor so figured best was to get the boxes down was "ride" them from floor to floor. Of course, best place was the back stairs ... not so visible. She hopped on one & it echoed the halls as it bounced down that flight of steps. I was right behind & jumped off & we pulled the boxes into the girls rest room which was at each floor, top of steps. We heard doors pop open as teachers tried to figure what that noise was... when all quite we made it to the next level & was dying laughing as we dragged those boxes over to the lunch room to paint. Our Sadie & friends made a big hit at the dance.... we closed the doors after midnight that night! We were lucky to have a wonderful principal that knew the difference in having fun and being bad.... we never did anything mean or bad, but we sure had our share of fun.

Nice to see you, Peter. Sorry you've both been sick. Spring will be here and everyone should feel better, than, don't you think?  I do remember the beautiful flowers in England, every yard was like a picture. Besides, always flowers sold for the table in spring. That was a "wonder" for me, buying daffodils from Holland for every day. I could never have enough years to enjoy everything there is... need another life time. Best wishes to you.

Lloyd, I also remember having those tons of rock brought in, so how do you level it?  We had a little yard tractor with blade but it didn't have enough power to move the heavy rock so a lot was done by our muscles. Hard work!

Amy, we had a long board to prop under the center of the clothesline to lift it so sheets didn't drag, but with the wind so stiff it would lift sheets high enough the board would fall & sheets would get in the dirt. Never could grow much grass under the clothesline because it got walked on so much. I didn't get a dryer until the youngest was in school... so plenty of years fighting this Kansas wind. I'd love a line to hang out now but "not allowed"... :(

Gloria, I was trying to kneel on the floor lsst night, to get something out of a lower cabinet in the kitchen... darn knee wanted no part of that hard floor. The body is rebelling!

Jane, my daughter decided she should stay home this week end, she's been traveling back & forth to visit kids all over the US.... but we've sent a dozen texts to each other this morning as she struggles with NOT hopping in her car & driving in. Enjoy your daughter & all that special time together.

Callie, it is so fun to watch these grands getting to do things we couldn't even dream about. My one gr-daughter is in another world this week, her company is building ethanol plants & she goes back & forth like we used to do driving from central MO to KC. Good luck to your "kids" on their adventures.

I'd better get busy, no time for a nap now. I've gotten into a habit of up early, feed me & cats & back to finish my sleep. BUT, can't do that on week ends, especially with the weather to be a nice as today. Need to rake up some leaves around the flowers in front, the daffodils are trying to come up. The way this house sits I get all the leaves from east & west to stop at my sidewalk from driveway to front door. Piles of leaves from trees I do NOT have!. Getting spring fever but know it isn't spring.... (song in there).... Shirley

JaneS

SHIRLEY, that song is "It Might As Well Be Spring".  Jeanne Crain sings it at the opening and Pat Boone sings it further along.

Mary Ann

Shirley, I love hearing  about your activities around school when you were young.  I wasn't as mischievous as you, nor were my friends, besides, my dad was a respected member of the faculty so I tried to be Miss Goody Good shoes.  Norm was not bad, but did let more "hang out".  I do remember Sadie Hawkins Day but I don't remember any school activities around the day. 

At the house where I grew up, Mother could hang clothes outside and I did there and at the next house, but not here.  We had two clothes poles and they followed me here.  It wasn't until Tom decided one of them had to go so I let him put it in the trash.  There still is one in the garage and they've got to be nearly 100 years old.  If allowed, I would use them yet.  On the other hand would I want to hang out clothes in cold and wind at my present age!

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Oh my, so many memories I can relate to!

Gloria, my elementary school had a lot of open area around it.  We played hopscotch on one side, jacks and jump rope on the other side,  "Mother, May I" on the front steps and "Red Rover" and Dodge Ball in the big area behind the building.  I remember falling during one hopscotch game and having to have my knee "painted" with merthiolate (sp?).Wow, did it sting!!!! Mother always used mercurochrome that didn't sting as much.

I am proud of my Grands for having career goals and working toward them.  Not too sure that Miss Ellen will ever make a living in musical theater but am pretty sure she has A Plan and is doing well supporting herself and Living Her Dream in NYC.

Shirley, after we moved here, I reconnected with the family of a former high school teacher whose first year of teaching was my sophomore year.  We were visiting when she asked if I knew that my class had almost made her husband go into another line of work.  I said,  "Oh, Mary, we weren't that bad" and she replied solemnly, "Oh, yes, you were".
Like yours - we were never destructive or mean to people but we did get into a lot of mischief.

You are correct in saying that our Grands are doing things we never imagined doing - although I did take off on my own after college.  Have always said I "left Oklahoma to see the world - and got as far as Amarillo"! 

I didn't have a dryer until we had lived in Leadville for several years.  I remember actually reaching down to hang out clothes because of snow piling up under the clothes line.  Hubby must have shoveled out a space to hang sheets.

Oh, thank you, Shirley and Amy ( :P  :smitten:  )for reminding me that I have Domestic Duties and that I need to get leaves out of the corner behind the a/c on the patio while it's in the 70's this weekend.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day. 

JaneS

OOPS!  I forgot to say that song is from the movie "STATE FAIR"

Amy

Callie, we also played those games double dutch was a favorite rope game. When in public school we took Home Ec and it was done in a neighbouring school. To get to that school we had a half an hour walk plus go over a open foot bridge. All was well in the summer but in the winter it was cold and we were not allowed to wear slacks so what we did was put slacks on under our dresses and when we got to school hiked them up under our dress.  What we made we had to also eat..and some was not pleasing to me. I have fond memories of that teacher and yes she did teach us a lot in cooking and sewing. Now imagine my surprise when I joined quilts for cancer that her daughter was also there. We had quite the conversation about her Mom :)  Memories :smitten: 
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Shirley, had to laugh at your antics going down the stairs on the mattress!!582a18a8-332f-4d47-9784-a663be763438.jpg Sadie Hawkins Day.jpg
Jimmy Dean

Tomereader1

If someone would please tell me:  What is a Sno-Nut?

Amy

Tomereader, this is what I found on the Snow Nut ,if wrong Shirley can correct me.... is that Shirleyuntitled.png Sno Nut.png on the Sno Nut???
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Amy, those were cardboard matress boxes back in the day cardboard was really tough... almost a stiff as wood & the sound as it went over those steps really echoed the halls. I'm sure all the teachers knew what it was by end of day. The stair way was really wide since we went up & down on the same steps! We flattened the boxes so grabbed the sides to hang on & was as much fun as that Sno-Nut!
Mary Ann, in my class of between 200-300+ students, one girl was the principal's daughter & another the English teacher & senior class sponsor. Admitted that group was much more studious than the 10 I hung out with most, but I did fit in with every group all through the years and managed to corrupt them all.  ;)  I only had 2 teachers (women) that didn't like me & it was mainly because they didn't like one of my group because her father & uncle were on the school board and she flaunted the rules. In both cases all the kids knew these teachers were unfair to me and would have backed me up if I had taken a stand. My mother was one that insisted we have a look at the real reason when people were mean or unkind, so I felt sorry for them and let it go. All through school I truly enjoyed my teachers, some more than others, but usually it was the teachers that were strictest with us that I found most respect for in the end. I think they enjoyed our fun times with us because we included them in our activities instead of avoiding them. Our town was 35,000-40,000 with 7 elementary schools, a Catholic school & one for blacks. That's the way it was back then. Eighth grade all 7 schools dumped into one high school, a 3 story brick building with NO elevators! haha.. we did our share of walking as each class would be on a different level or end of school. The graduating class wasn't nearly that large as many would get married or get jobs and drop out. Times were hard, some of the boys had to help support their families when the fathers either split or died.

We didn't know as much about each other, no cell phones or twitter... but had party lines that were a nightmare when you had someone on the party that listened in on others conversations! Everyone loved my parents, my siblings friends & mine would stop to visit with them after we were all gone from home. No matter what they were doing, a knock on the door and both would take the "kids" in to sit around the kitchen table & visit as long as they wanted to stay. I had it easiest, being the last of 5 kids, but also had all those "bosses" to keep me in line.

Time to hear how the rest of you survived the '30s-'40s-'50s ..'fess up!

My Sno-Nut was made by Flexible Flyer, bought back in the early '70s when I bought the wooden kind for my boys. It never got out of the box until we moved to this house 31 years ago & now I have the perfect hill... right into the Arkansas River!  Thanks, Amy, last time I Googled Sno-Nut someone had one same color as mine, but that is basically the same design.  You just take hold of those hand holds, slap it under your rear & sit on it, it does have a bottom so you don't sit in the snow, but have to put your feet out front for brakes.  Now tell me, Amy, would you join me since Gloria won't? 

Amy

Shirley, oh yes I would join you and I think Janie would too!!

In my younger years (long time ago) we would take that same type of cardboard and go up a hill and slide down!! You went like greased lightening and you only stopped because there was no hill left!! All went well until you lost your grip on the cardboard ,then you went down the hill on your bottom.
Jimmy Dean

Tomereader1

And we here in Big D, never get snow, deep enough to do Sno-Nut, sled or cardboard. Once in a blue moon, it will snow, and put about an inch or two on the ground, that stays a bit, then the folks who moved here from up north will drag out their sleds, their cardboard or anything else big enough to sit in or on, and fly down the hills at FlagPole Hill.  It looks like so much fun, but I am past the age when I would dare.  I mean, when you fall down in your own living room breaking shoulder and wrist, the daredevil in you just floats away!!

Tomereader1

On to more plebian things.  I never come in here and post my daily agenda, but today!... Well, for some reason I had an energy attack this morning.  Stripped the bed, washed two loads (king sized sheets) and with other odds and ends, I started fading fast.  All this multi-tasking...(same thing as running around like a chicken with its head cut off).  I wrestled with putting that King sized bottom sheet back on, and boom, I was plumb tuckered out!  Decided I needed nourishment, and since we have a very nice family-style restaurant (not a chain) about one block from me, I phoned in an order.  They have a vegetable sampler, from which you can choose 5 veggies.  I got grilled veggies, carrots, green beans, broccoli/rice casserole and turnip greens. 2 pcs. cornbread. There is enough food there, after I finished, to feed me for another 2 or 3 days.  I'm so full, and so
tired. When I get that bed finished, I'm for a nap, or at least a "lie-down"!