Random Image

Flag Ceremony

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:59:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

His does sound good. Never though of Horseradish in ML. could you taste it?
I made a quick run to Aldi this morning  at about 9am. it is just across the street. Only about 4 people in at that time. Will remember that. Place does get busy.

Time to make a good beef stew. Sound hot but that is what I feel I want. Had to pay $9.95 a lb for stew beef this morning. its Prime though so will just use half if it for now. Make enough for 2 meals.  Made some broc. cream soup for lunch. I made that last night. usually have it with a slice of home made Pizza but I am out of that.
Son in Law came to town to do my yard yesterday. He does a great job but just has to get  going back home. This time i made him sit for half hour on the porch with a big glass of ice water and half a pizza that I had from the day before. Got him sitting for 45 min. Amazing for him. He and daughter eat everything out or phone ordered. So anytime I can feed him home food I try to do it. He just does so much for anyone who wants something doing since he retired. Since my yard man passed this year he wants to come 35 miles to do mine. Will not take a no from me.
By the way on my yard man. He passed now 10 days ago. Going to be cremated and family told me it will be close to 5 months before it can be done. They are so backed up that hv. 3 cold truck containers running with bodies stored in them. Trucks that usual transport veg and stuff from Mexico. Hard to believe how things are. They say even longer in New York and Chicago. And people still will go around in crowds without a Mask on.
JeanneP

angelface555

You didn't taste the horseradish except it ramped the flavor a bit if that makes sense? I use several types of hot sauces so I probably wouldn't have noticed it anyway. He had typed out copies for guests so I will be able to make it on my own.

Raul's real specialty is grilled foods and or fish. He makes a number of his special sauces and fish dishes that are always good.

JeanneP

STOVETOP STUFFING MEATLOAF
This is pretty much the BEST meatloaf you'll ever have!
Ingredients
1 package of Stove Top stuffing (use any one of your favorite flavors, I prefer chicken but savory herb is good too!)
1 cup of hot water
2 packages brown gravy mix (one for inside the meatloaf and one for on top)
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 cup cold water
2 large eggs, beaten
Instructions
In a medium sized bowl add stuffing mix and 1 cup of hot water.
Let the stuffing sit for 5 minutes
Meanwhile, in another medium sized bowl mix 1 package of brown gravy mix with 1 cup cold water.
Add in ground beef and egg, mix well (this is easiest to do with your hands, gross, I know)
After the stuffing has sat for 5 minutes, incorporate the stuffing mix into the ground beef mixture.
Grease a bundt pan with non stick spray and then press the ground beef mixture into the pan
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until no longer pink inside
Once baked, let rest for 5 minutes or so and then invert onto a plate
Serve with mashed potatoes and brown gravy in the center of the meatloaf
JeanneP

JeanneP

Brussels Sprouts in Garlic Butter
Ingredients
        15 Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
        1 1/2 tablespoons butter
        1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
        3 cloves garlic, smashed with the flat of a knife
        freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
        salt and pepper
Directions
    Melt butter and olive oil in a medium skillet (over medium-high heat) until butter is foamy.
    Reduce heat to medium, add smashed garlic and cook until lightly browned.
    Remove garlic and discard.
    Add sprouts cut side down, cover, and cook without stirring on medium-low heat 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
    The cut side of the sprouts should get nice and browned, with a nutty, buttery flavor enhanced by garlic.
    Top with freshly grated parmesan and salt& pepper to taste.
Courtesy of www.food.com
JeanneP

Tomereader1

Greek Zoodle Salad:
2 Zucchini
1/4 English cucumber, chopped
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
10 pitted Kalamata olives, halved (more to taste)
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion

2 ounces crumbled reduced fat Feta cheese
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 TBS fresh lemon juice  (to my taste, I'd used a little less)
1 TSP dried oregano
salt & ground black pepper to taste

Cut zucchini into noodle shaped strands, utilizing a spiralizing tool.  Place noodles in large bowl & top with cucumber, tomatoes, olives, onions and Feta cheese.
Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt & pepper together until smooth, pour over zoodle mixture and toss to coat.  Marinate salad in refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.

So delicious!  Enjoy.
*this recipe is available on Allrecipes.com

JeanneP

Cheese Burger Casserole

Ingredients:
1-1/2; pounds ground beef
1 (3-ounce) package real bacon bits
2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (32-ounce) package frozen tater tots
1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
2 cups sour cream
Bread and butter pickles, for topping
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
In a large pan, brown ground beef, then drain any excess grease.
Mix browned beef, bacon, cheese, tater tots, cheese soup, and sour cream in a large mixing bowl until well-combined.
Evenly spread mixture into baking dish, then bake 45-50 minutes, or until bubbly.
Serve immediately with pickles, if desired. Enjoy!
JeanneP

JeanneP

I cut in half. Use Yogurt instead of Sour Cream because i alway have it in fridge. Its easy and I freeze for quick lunches.
JeanneP

JeanneP

CROCKPOT ORANGE CHICKEN

Ingredients:
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced about 1/2-inch thick
2 large red or green bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
8 ounces orange juice concentrate
2 cups Mandarin orange segments or fresh orange segments
2 Green onions, chopped
hot cooked rice

Directions:
Put carrots, peppers, garlic, then the chicken, ginger, salt, pepper & frozen orange juice in Crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours. Serve chicken on hot cooked rice on platter. Top with orange segments and green onions. Serve chicken liquid in gravy boat, if desired.
JeanneP

angelface555

Easy Corn Relish from Real Simple Magazine

Hands-On Time
10 Mins
Total Time
1 Hour 10 Mins
Yield
Serves 6

"Frozen corn is a must-have freezer staple. The golden kernels can upgrade just about any dish, and they take center stage in this crowd-pleasing condiment. Along with corn, the recipe includes red onion, bell pepper, and mustard seeds for deep savory flavor, and there's enough sugar in the mix to round out the tart apple cider vinegar. Serve on a cheese plate, dolloped on a grilled fish taco, or spooned over seared pork chops."

Ingredients
3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed (from 1 [14.4-oz.] bag)
1 cup thinly sliced red onion (from 1 small onion)
½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper (from 1 bell pepper)
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
 1 cup apple cider vinegar
 ⅓ cup granulated sugar
 2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt

How to Make It
Step 1
Place corn, onion, pepper, and mustard seeds in a medium heatproof bowl.

Step 2
Bring vinegar, sugar, oil, and salt to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Immediately pour over corn mixture. Let cool to room temperature. Transfer to resealable jars or containers and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

angelface555

Single Crust Peach Pie

3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
6 fresh peaches-pitted, skinned, and sliced
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
9 inch single pie crust

1. Cream sugar and butter or margarine together. Add four and nutmeg; mix until mealy. Spread 1/2 of mixture in piecrust. Arrange peaches on top of crumb mixture. Sprinkle remainder of crumb mixture on top of peaches.

2.  Bake at 450 degrees F(175 C) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C). Continue baking for 40 minutes or until brown.

3.  Serve immediately with ice cream 🥟😋

angelface555

Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie

Total Time 20 minutes + cooling
Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk
3 large egg yolks, room temperature, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 medium, firm bananas
1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
Optional: Whipped cream and additional sliced bananas

Directions
In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; stir in milk and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes; remove from the heat. Add butter and vanilla; cool slightly.
Slice the bananas into crust; pour filling over the top. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. If desired, before serving, garnish with whipped cream and bananas.

Tips
To ensure a smooth, lump-free filling, stir sugar mixture constantly during cooking, and scrape the sides and bottom of the saucepan with a heatproof rubber spatula.
Elvis-approved: Spread a layer of peanut butter (or Nutella) on the bottom of the pastry shell before adding bananas.

JeanneP

SIL. came to town today to cut my grass. Brought me from his garden first 3 cucumbers. He knows I like small ones.So will make a jar of Cucumber and Onions today Love them on sandwiches. Went to Aldi for a few things but filled my basket again. Now will not bother with my Reg. Grocery store. Just to hot to be driving around. All the stores seem to be starting out with new young people. They are so fast that I think my first item got put with the person in front of me. They don't bag. Just toss in cart. Makes for fast in and out shopping though. They don't care for people who still write checks and soon this will be gone. NOw it is short of coins for change. all asking for db. Cards.
JeanneP

angelface555

Onion Pizza

1 fresh pizza dough
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Fresh sage leaves (I slivered up about 5 of them)
1 piece of thick-cut bacon, cut into lardons, (sliced and fried bacon bits).
1 to 2 tablespoons onion marmalade
Salt and pepper to taste

I improvised quite a bit from her recipe, but essentially rolled out the dough fairly thin and put it on a pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal. I spread the onion all over, dribbled some cream over it, seasoned it with salt and pepper then tossed on the bacon, sage, and some globs of onion jam.

From the Smitten Kitchen

I baked it for about 25 minutes at 450, but you will probably need to adjust the time to your own oven.

angelface555

Strawberry Sorbet
Recipe from The River Cafe Cookbook

1 lemon, seeded and roughly chopped
2 cups granulated sugar
2 pounds strawberries, hulled
Juice of 1 to 2 lemons (I always use 2)

Place the chopped lemon and sugar in a food processor, and pulse until combined. Transfer to a bowl.

Puree the strawberries in a food processor, and add to the lemon mixture, along with the juice of 1 lemon. Taste and add more juice as desired. The lemon flavor should be intense but should not overpower the strawberries. Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn until frozen.

Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

JeanneP

So Quick and good

Garlic Roll Cupcakes🤔🤗
Ingredients
1 can (12 count) refrigerated breadsticks
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp garlic bread seasoning (Johnny's)
1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
shredded parmesan cheese
Directions
Preheat oven to 400.
Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
Combine softened butter, garlic bread seasoning and 1 Tbsp grated parmesan. Unroll breadsticks and separate into individual bread sticks. Spread garlic butter over each bread stick. Roll up and place into muffin pan. Sprinkle each bread stick wtih some shredded or grated parmesan.
Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
JeanneP

JeanneP

These great to put in freezer for when not in mood to cook lunch.
Winter when I make chili always freeze some to have handy

Chili Cheese Dog Bake

INGREDIENTS:
1 can (14 to 15 oz) chili, heated
1 can Pillsbury™ refrigerated classic pizza crust
4 Cheddar cheese sticks
4 all-beef hot dogs
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes

INSTRUCTIONS:
Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 9-inch square or 11×7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Pour hot chili into dish; spread evenly.
Unroll dough; cut into 4 strips. Cut 1 cheese stick in half lengthwise; place 1 half on each side of 1 hot dog. Wrap pizza dough strip around cheese and hot dog, overlapping slightly in center. Repeat with remaining dough strips, cheese sticks, and hot dogs. Place wrapped hot dogs on top of hot chili. (Chili must be hot.)
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until dough is light golden brown.
Meanwhile, in a small microwavable cup, microwave butter on High until melted. Stir in garlic powder and parsley.
Remove baking dish from the oven. Brush on top of each cheese dog with butter mixture. Serve immediately.(do the top brushing later)
JeanneP

maryc

Angelface,   I don't normally read this topic but stopped by today just to see what was "cooking".   I loved your long description of making grilled cheese sandwiches. The grilled cheese sandwich is a true classic in foods and I've done a lot of experimenting with making the better sandwich over the years!  We have a local Italian bakery that has the very best bread for grilled cheese.  It is tough enough to hold up well.  It also makes great French toast!   :thumbup:

I could just see you and your girlfriend enjoying the grilled cheese at the drugstore years ago. Those memories are wonderful and we mostly all have one or two.  When I was pre-teen my grandmother lived with us and she and I would walk to a shopping area of town where she would buy her crochet cotton and other necessities. She had lived most of her adult life on a farm and didn't get to just shop a whole lot and she did love going out to the stores.  After the shopping she would say to me,  "Mary,  I think we should have a little ice cream."   We would sit down at Woolworths lunch counter and have ice cream.  It was such a treat and I was facinated by the operation of the place....I still am.  I like to sit at a counter where you can watch a good short order cook at work. Not so many places where you can do that anymore.  Please forgive my rambling.

Mary C

angelface555

Maryc, I agree that the bread is very important. I generally like to bake my own or use a good whole-grain variety. I often experimented with different types and styles of cheese.

We used to have a Woolworth's here for many years, and my mother and I often stopped for lunch afterward as did my daughter and I. Woolworth's closed the store several years ago, unfortunately.

maryc

JeanneP,  Your Chili Cheese Dogs sound good. :thumbup:    Sometimes I buy packaged Corn Dogs just for a change but I'm usually disappointed in them.   Perhaps I should try your recipe.

I'm not too adventursome in cooking these days but I did try a recipe for a Corn Bread Pudding last week.   It was so so good.  Got the recipe from the internet.   It used a can of whole kernel and a can of cream style corn,  a cup of sour cream, a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, an egg and some sugar.  Baked in a 9x9 for about an hour.  Very moist and tasty.  Some of the recipes called for chili peppers but I didn't go there.
Mary C

angelface555

Sauerkraut Chocolate Cake

Total Time
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes
16 servings

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
3/4 cup sauerkraut, drained, squeezed dry and chopped

SILK CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
1-1/3 cups butter, softened
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup whole milk

Directions
In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

For frosting, beat butter, chocolate and vanilla in a bowl; add sugar and beat well. Add milk; beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.

JeanneP

That cornbread does sound good Mary. Will try it Maybe cut recipe in half as I only like cornbread if eaten right away and not next day. I don't even like those Corn Dogs that are famous at Fairs. Never have.
Now if you have a Aldi's store I found some great sausage came from Germany. Cost little more but well worth it. Going to try the Chili Cheese dogs with those  if they ever get them in again.
JeanneP

angelface555

"Seasoned rice vinegar is so good that I don't understand why anyone who isn't watching their sugar intake would buy the unseasoned stuff. It's got the ideal balance of sweetness and salt to compliment rice vinegar's distinctive, funky tang, and it's good on everything. I use it all year round, but I go through it in the summer when fresh produce is at its peak: Zucchini, tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, sweet corn, melon, peaches, and cherries are delicious on their own, but they're even better with a splash of salty-sweet vinegar.

My favorite application is quick pickles. Like, "two ingredients and 10 minutes" quick. Thinly slice literally any vegetable, toss with seasoned rice vinegar, and rest for about 10 minutes to draw out some moisture. Toss again, have a taste, and add more vinegar or a pinch of salt if you think it needs it. That's it.

You can take the pickling action as far as you like by adjusting the amount of vinegar in the finished dish: Use less for more of a marinated salad vibe, and use more for full-on pickle flavor. To show you what I mean, here are two of my favorite ways to make quick rice vinegar pickles, one from each end of the pickle spectrum.

Perfect pickled cucumber salad

Thinly slice 2 large cucumbers and place them in a shallow mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar; toss to coat. After a 10-minute rest, taste and adjust the seasonings. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

If you like, toss the cucumbers with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil and a big ol' pile of thinly sliced scallions or cilantro just before serving. This salad goes with with anything, but it was practically made to be eaten alongside cold peanut noodles.

Quick-pickled hot peppers
Slice 3-4 jalapeños (or 6-8 serranos) into 1/4-inch rounds and place in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add enough seasoned rice vinegar to come about halfway up the sides of the peppers. Put the lid on, shake to distribute the vinegar, and rest at room temperature for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings. You can eat them right away, but these sweet-and-spicy flavor bombs keep in the refrigerator almost indefinitely and only get better with time."

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/make-two-ingredient-quick-pickles-with-seasoned-rice-vi-1844408921

angelface555

Spaghetti & Meatballs from Cravings

SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR 25 MINUTES

Ingredients
For the Meatballs:
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (processed from 3-4 slices white bread)
¼ cup milk
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 cup finely shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon chili flakes
2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
¼ cup olive oil
For the Sauce:
1 large onion, diced (3 cups)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
¼ cup tomato paste
5 (14-ounce) or 2 (28-ounce) plus 1 (14-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
¾ pound dried spaghetti
Finely grated Parmesan, for garnish
Fresh basil for garnish

Make the Meatballs:

Combine the breadcrumbs and milk in a large bowl; let the crumbs soak up all the milk. Add the beef and pork to the bowl along with the cheese, garlic, salt, chili flakes, eggs, and egg yolk. Gently mix, being careful not to overwork the meat, then form into about 18 golf ball-sized meatballs. Arrange on a large baking sheet and sprinkle very lightly on both sides with the fine dry breadcrumbs (just a super light dusting). Chill for 1 hour and up to 24 hours (this helps the meatballs keep their shape).

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add the meatballs (working in batches if you have to) and brown on all sides, 8 minutes total (lower temperature slightly if you need to to avoid any burning). Transfer browned meatballs to a large plate, and carefully drain all but ¼ cup fat and oil in the skillet. Cover to keep the meatballs warm.

Make the Sauce:

Heat the fat and oil left over from the meatballs over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until caramelized and absorbed, 2 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, oregano, chili flakes, thyme, parsley, rosemary, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the sauce thickens, 25 to 30 minutes.

Finish and Serve:

Gently nestle the meatballs in the sauce, return to a simmer and cook until the meatballs are fully cooked through and absorb the sauce, 20-25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

While the meatballs are simmering in the sauce, cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain, then add to the pot with the meatballs and sauce, or create individual portions. Garnish with cheese and basil.

What makes meatballs so unbelievably good is all about the prep - specifically what binder you use. Starting with the basics, try not to be too lean with the meat. The fat will help with the flavor and moisture (I usually go by the 80/20 rule... 80% being fat). But if you do stick with lean meat, don't add a ton of egg to give it extra moisture - egg is actually a binder, and will make your meat more absorbent. If you use too much, your meatballs might end up soggy after being cooked in sauce for a while.

There is something so nostalgic about spaghetti and meatballs that no matter your age, you still love. Sure it's just ground meat with a simple marinara sauce, but when seasoned and prepared properly, it's one of the most delicious pasta dishes ever. For the meatballs, I combine ground beef and pork with Parmesan for extra flavor, and it makes them mouthwateringly tender on the inside. The homemade marinara is pretty classic, with dried herbs for seasoning and garlic for bite, but my secret is adding a pinch of sugar (this helps balance out the acidity from the tomatoes!). A few tips: try chilling the meatballs before browning them, as it helps them hold their shape! Use a cast iron skillet to brown the meatballs – this will help get the outside all nice and crispy.

For the breadcrumbs, I say the fresher the better and I'll often make my own in a food processor. If you're low on time (or energy), then Italian-style breadcrumbs or panko will bind the ingredients just fine! Oh, and chill the meatballs before browning in the skillet - this will help keep their shape. Yes, I know this is a lot of tips for just the meatballs, but this is how important they are, so pay attention!

angelface555

Old Fashioned Apple Buckle

Home » Desserts » Cakes and Cupcakes » Apple Buckle

APPLE BUCKLE
Published: Jul 18, 2020 Updated: Jul 17, 2020 by Dan from Platter Talk

Our blueberry buckle recipe is one of the first ones we made and it was love at first bite. Now, let me show you how to make an apple buckle!

WHAT'S IN IT?
This easy apple recipe is made with a simple cake batter, apples, and a sweet crumb topping for a streusel.

Bowl of apples and other ingredients for buckle recipe
Ingredients for Apple Buckle:

For the Streusel Topping

Flour
Dark brown sugar
Butter
Lemon zestSalt
Walnuts (optional)
For the Buckle Batter

Flour
Baking powder
Ginger
Salt
Butter
Sugar
Honey
Lemon zest
Vanilla extract
Eggs
Half and half
Apples

Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes Cooling: 1 hourTotal Time: 2 hours 45 minutes  Servings: 10

Ingredients
For the Crumb Streusel
1.5 cups All purpose flour
3/4 cups Dark brown sugar
1 tsp Gound cinnamon
1 tsp Fresh lemon zest
4 tbsp Unsalted butter Softened to room temperature
1 pinch Salt
1/4 cup Walnuts Coarse chop (Optional)
For the Buckle Batter
2 cups All-purpose flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Ground ginger
1 pinch Salt
6 oz Unsalted butter (1.5 sticks)
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Honey
1 tsp Fresh lemon zest finely grated
1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
2 Eggs large
1/2 cup Half and half
2 lbs Apples Peeled, cored, and 1/2-inch dice

Instructions
Preheat your oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
For the Crumb Streusel
Use a food processor to pulse the dry streusel ingredients along with the lemon zest. Add the butter and process until the streusel has a moist, sandy consistency. Add the walnuts if desired and pulse one or two more times. Set the mixture aside for later.
For the Buckle Batter
Use a medium-size mixing bowl and add the flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt. Stir it all together. In a separate large mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer. Then, add the sugar and beat it with the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the honey, lemon zest, vanilla and eggs and beat until smooth. Fold in the dry flour mixture in alternating batches, while gradually adding the half and half. Fold in the apple chunks.
Pour the batter into the greased and floured pan, and smooth out the top with an offset spatula or tablespoon. Sprinkle the crumb streusel on top of the batter evenly. Place the pan on the center rack of your oven and bake for about 75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the buckle to cool for an hour before releasing it from the pan. Serve warm if possible, with or without your favorite topping.

Notes
You can make this apple buckle in any of the following pans:
A 9 x 13 baking dish
Cast iron skillet
Dutch oven
Bundt cake pan
Other methods of telling when the buckle is done:
When the sides start to pull away from the pan.
When the buckle is spring to the touch.
When the internal temperature reaches 210° F.
When the buckle stops sizzling.

https://www.plattertalk.com/apple-buckle/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=buckle_down_with_some_apple_buckle&utm_term=2020-07-19

JeanneP

Sweet Blueberry Biscuits
Biscuits:
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tb. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 Tb. sugar
1 stick unsalted butter (VERY cold)
3/4-ish cup buttermilk (use enough until the dough is just barely wet enough)
1 c. frozen blueberries
1/2 stick melted salted butter
Sauce:
1 c. powdered sugar
3 Tb. milk (or more if not thin enough)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Directions:
Cut butter into small pats and lay out on a cookie sheet lined in wax paper. Stick in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. Prepare cast iron skillet with a tiny amount of bacon grease, if available. Easiest thing: fry one piece of bacon, wipe out the pan, and you're good to go!
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
Stir the sauce ingredients together (powdered sugar, milk, vanilla), and make sure the powdered sugar is completely dissolved.
Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar) together and then cut in the cold unsalted butter. Cut in until the butter is about pea sized, relatively well mixed in. Add buttermilk. Add slowly until you have just enough where the dough separates from the sides of the bowl. Stir until just combined and roll it out onto a well-floured surface.
Before kneading, prepare a large area for kneading. (I use a large cutting board for easy clean-up!) Sprinkle the area with some flour. Put the dough on the floured area and sprinkle some flour over the dough. Press the dough out (no need to roll with a pin) and flatten to about 1/2″ thickness. Put blueberries over dough. Knead a couple of times and flatten back out to about 1″ thickness. (Honestly, the thicker the better, because they rise so beautifully!) The berries will likely start to bleed onto the dough and you'll start to see flecks of blue as the berries defrost.
Place biscuits in a cast-iron skillet and be sure biscuits are touching.
Bake at 500 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Somewhere around 6 to 8 minutes, take the skillet out of the oven and brush the biscuits with melted salted butter. This is an integral part of the baking process. And be liberal with it, brush on the sides of the biscuits if they are showing. When you begin to see the tops lightly brown (and the blueberries burst), take them out. The temperature in the middle of the biscuits will remain very hot once out of the oven and will continue the cooking process.
NOTE: Some people have mentioned that they have to leave their biscuits in for longer than 10 or 12 minutes. I have never had to leave mine in for longer, but if you fear yours aren't getting done and want to leave them in for longer, be sure to watch them like a hawk! I promise, they will go from done to burnt in just a few seconds!
When you take the biscuits out of the oven, let the pan cool for about 10 minutes. Pour the sauce over the biscuits after 10 minutes. Use as much or little of the sauce as desired.
Serve immediately!
JeanneP

JeanneP

Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Bacon
This cabbage is full of sweet, sour, and salty flavors.
Ingredients:
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 medium green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce.
Instructions: Heat oil in a large, heavy pot (Use a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crisp, stirring frequently. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a plate. Add onion and cabbage to pot and cook, stirring often, until cabbage is wilted (about 10 minutes). Add vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce and cook until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 10 more minutes. Stir in bacon.
JeanneP

JeanneP

I am eating way to many potatoes at the moment. Any way I find them
These will be today.  Thing is potatoes that we are buying are awful . Throwing lots out. Will stick to Yukon Gold I think.

reek Potatoes ❤
FOLLOW ME for more recipes, diys and more cool stuff! 🙂
Ingredients
8 large potatoes, peeled, cut into large wedges ( about 6-7 wedges per potato)
4 garlic cloves, minced ( more garlic is a good thing, less garlic is a no-no for this recipe)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup water
1 tablespoon dried oregano ( get the Mediterranean, it's the best!)
1 lemon, juiced
sea salt
fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 420°F A reviewer has suggested spraying the baking pan with Pam - that sounds like a great idea!
Put all the ingredients into a baking pan large enough to hold them.
Season generously with sea salt and black pepper.
Make sure your hands are very clean and put them in the pan and give everything a toss to distribute.
The garlic will drop into the water/oil solution but its flavour will permeate the potatoes, and this way, it won't burn.
Bake for 40 minutes.
When a nice golden-brown crust has formed on the potatoes, give them a stir to bring the white underside up, season lightly with a bit more sea salt and pepper and just a light sprinkling of oregano.
Add 1/2 cup more water if pan appears to be getting dry, and pop back into oven to brown other side of potatoes.
This will take about another 40 minutes.
Do not be afraid of overcooking the potatoes- they will be delicious.
JeanneP

angelface555

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients
1 large egg, room temperature, beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter

Directions
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Roll level tablespoons into balls. Place on an ungreased baking sheet; flatten with a fork.
Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

JeanneP

Smashed Cucumber Salad
By crushing our cucumber before we cut it, we produce flavors that un-smashed cukes can't. When you crush the cells in a vegetable, as opposed to cutting cleanly through them, certain compounds get mixed together, which can result in a significantly different flavor. In cucumbers this is a good thing--onions, not so much. But this salad is one of my all-time favorite cold summer side dishes. The only decision you're going to have to make is how long to let the cucumbers marinate--half an hour or so or not at all.
By Chef John
prep:
15 mins
additional:
1 hr
total:
1 hr 15 mins
Servings:
Yield:
6 servings
Smashed Cucumber Salad
Ingredients
Ingredient Checklist

2 eaches Hothouse Cucumber-Raw FSP
    1 teaspoon Sugars, granulated
    1 ½ teaspoons Morton Kosher Salt, coarse
    2 cloves Garlic, raw
    2 tablespoons White Rice Vinegar CBT
    1 teaspoon Soy sauce made from soy and wheat (shoyu)
    1 teaspoon Oil, sesame, salad or cooking
    1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons Seeds, sesame seeds, whole, dried

Directions
Instructions Checklist

Step 1

Wrap each cucumber in plastic wrap to minimize splattering. Place on a work surface and pound with a flat object (like a meat pounder) until cucumbers crack and are slightly flattened. Remove from plastic. Cut cucumbers in half; halve each side lengthwise. Slice into 1- to 1 1/2 -inch wide slices. Transfer to a strainer set over a bowl.
    Step 2

Sprinkle cucumber with sugar and salt; mix until well combined. Refrigerate bowl and strainer for 30 to 60 minutes so cucumber pieces can drain into the bowl.
    Step 3

Place garlic, seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Whisk together thoroughly.
    Step 4

Transfer drained cucumbers into bowl with dressing. Toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
    Step 5

Place cucumbers in serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Chef's Note:

In place of seasoned rice vinegar you can use plain rice vinegar and add an extra pinch of salt and sugar to the dressing.
Nutrition Facts
Per Serving:
28.5 calories; 1.3 g protein; 3.5 g carbohydrates; 0 mg cholesterol; 530.2 mg sodium.
JeanneP

angelface555

This was sent to me and I haven't tried it but feel free to improvise. I'd add raspberries in place of strawberries and perhaps nectarines or peach in place of blueberries.

I know I would swap out the donut holes for angel food or other cake or sweetened bread,  torn into chunks as a base. Puddings can be swapped out too. Everything including the milk is interchangeable within certain parameters. It's one of those make it your own recipes.

Berry, Lemon & Doughnut Hole Trifle

25 minutes    10 servings

2 cups cold 2 % milk
One pkg. 3.4 oz. instant lemon pudding mix
One carton, 8 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
16 to 32 plain donut holes
3 cups fresh strawberries halved
2 cups fresh blueberries

1. Whisk together the milk and pudding mix. Fold in two and a half cups whipped topping, set aside
2. Place half of the donut holes in a 3-quart trifle bowl; spread half of the pudding mix over the top.
3. Top with half of the strawberries and blueberries. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining whipped topping. Chill until serving.