Random Image

Red Columbine

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:38:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's for dinner? 2020

Started by so_P_bubble, February 18, 2020, 04:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Patricia, you're welcome. I have 4-5 pkg of beans to plant so I will be trying this recipe.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

When I was a child, we owned an acre and that acre was planted into a garden each year. We,(three girls), were unpaid labor, but we sure enjoyed eating the results after we finished the gardening and processing!

Now the woman who purchased the home after my dad went into care, expanded the old house into that acre, and last I heard, she was running a B&B.

JaneS

Got the bean recipe! Davy's had the first of the fresh beans this week!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Jane WOW, my beans are still seeds waiting to be planted!!
Let me know how you like this recipe!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

Jane, another one for you ..

Air Fryter Zucchini

yield: 4 SERVINGS prep time: 5 MINUTES cook time: 10 MINUTES additional time: 30 MINUTES total time: 45 MINUTES

These zucchini are marinaded for a short time and cooked for just 5 minutes! These are a great, healthy, side dish option to serve with your next meal!

Ingredients
2 medium zucchini
¼ cup bottled Italian salad dressing
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cracked pepper

Instructions
Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and then into ½ inch pieces.
Place in a zip top bag along with the salad dressing and seal. Shake to coat the zucchini in the dressing.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours before cooking.
Brush or spray air fryer basket with olive oil. Drain excess liquid from the zucchini and add to the air fryer basket.
Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, shaking halfway through cooking. Check the zucchini at 5 minutes and reduce cook time based on your desired preference

Notes
We like our zucchini to get golden brown and caramelized. If you'd like your zucchini less browned, cook for less time.

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Mom's Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients

9 potatoes - peeled and cubed

1 ½ pounds ground beef

1 (6 ounces) can tomato sauce

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 dash Worcestershire sauce

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

2 (15 ounce) cans green beans, drained

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons milk

DirectionsInstructions

Step 1
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Step 2
Place the potatoes and water to cover in a large pot over high heat. Boil for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat; drain excess fat.

Step 3
To the ground beef, add the tomato sauce, parsley, Worcestershire sauce to taste, salt, ground black pepper, and green beans. In a separate small bowl, mix the flour with the 3 tablespoons water and stir into the beef mixture.

Step 4
Stir all together well. Drain the potatoes, mash, and spread over the beef mixture Place 2 to 3 vent holes through the mashed potatoes.

Step 5
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Brush the milk over the potatoes for the last 5 minutes of baking.

patricia19

Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough

Prep: 10 mins Cook: 10 mins Total: 20 mins Servings: 12 Yield: 1 - 12 inch pizza crust

Ingredients

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1 cup warm water

2 cups whole wheat flour

¼ cup wheat germ

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon honey

Directions

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Step 2
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

Step 3
In a large bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for a few minutes.

Step 4
Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork.

Step 5
Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved.

patricia19

Pizza Dough

This one is a quick recipe that merely involves mixing a few basic ingredients and patting the dough into the pan. No need to wait for the dough to rise with this approach.

Prep: 10 mins Cook: 25 mins Total: 35 mins Servings: 15 Yield: 1 pizza

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon white sugar

1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

Directions

Step 1
Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread out on a large pizza pan. Top as desired.

Step 2
Bake at 375 degrees C (190 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.

patricia19

Zesty Frito Pie

prep time 10 mins cook time 30 mins total time 40 mins

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1 cup corn, canned or frozen and thawed
1 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
¾ cup salsa
¾ cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about 1 large clove)
2 cups cheese, shredded
3-4 cups Chili Flavored Fritos Corn Chips

OPTIONAL TOPPINGS
Diced Tomato
Sour Cream
Jalapenos
Green Onion
Rice

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a cast-iron skillet over medium/high heat, brown ground beef and crushed garlic until fully cooked. Drain off excess fat.

Add corn, beans, salsa, chili sauce, and taco seasoning and stir, continuing to heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Top with shredded cheese and corn chips.

Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.

Remove and top with additional toppings.

patricia19

Homemade Guacamole

prep time 15 mins total time 15 mins

Ingredients

1 avocado, pitted and diced into 1-inch cubes
1/3 cup red onion, minced
1/3 cup bell peppers
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and minced*
1/3 cup chopped tomato, seeded
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
or substitute fresh flat head parsley minced
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon hot sauce

Instructions

Mash avocados to your desired texture using the back of a fork or spoon or even blending in a food processor until smooth.

Fold in chopped vegetables and lime juice, sugar, and hot sauce.

This will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. The lime juice will prevent the avocado from browning.

Notes
You can also use jarred, pickled jalapenos. These may be less spicy than fresh jalapenos. Or omit.

patricia19

Queso Dip

prep time 5 mins cook time 15 mins total time 20 mins

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour

1 cup whole milk

1 cup favorite cheese, shredded

1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, optional

Instructions

Melt butter in a heavy bottom saucepan.

Whisk in flour until fully combined, and it makes a paste.

Whisk in whole milk until smooth.

Add shredded cheese and salt.

Add additional milk until your queso dip reaches the desired consistency.

JaneS

I got the zucchini recipe, too, AMY.  Have to admit, Davy's green beans are not local.  Being a Mennonite, he has lots of contacts south of here and I'm sure they're from another Mennonite farm.  But they're better than the ones in the grocery stores.  And I don't get them to can until they are local.  But they're good eating!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

No Bake Cherry Cheesecake Pie
You'll taste the difference in this no-bake cherry cheesecake pie that doesn't use
preservative filled canned pie filling or packaged dessert topping.
Course Dessert
Prep Time 30 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 12 servings
Author Barry C. Parsons
Ingredients
For the Graham Crumb Crust
1 3/4 cups graham wafer crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
For the Cream Cheese Filling
1 pound of cream cheese
1 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cherry Topping
3 cups pitted fresh or frozen sweet cherries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 rounded tablespoon corn starch + 1/4 cup water
Instructions
For the cherry topping
1. Make the topping first because it has to cool to room temperature.
2. In a small saucepan, add the cherries, 1/2 cup water, sugar and vanilla extract.
3. Bring to a gentle simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Dissolve the cornstarch in the 1/4 cup of water and slowly stir into the boiling cherries. Stir constantly until the
cherries begin to simmer again, then cook for only a minute longer.
5. Remove from heat and transfer to a heatproof bowl to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. It is not
recommended to cool this mixture quickly in the fridge because you can set the corn starch which will affect
the appearance of the finished cheesecake.
For the crust
1. Lightly grease a 10 inch deep dish pie pan. (This recipe can also be made in a 9x9 pan if you prefer, with the
graham crust only at the bottom and then served in squares.)
2. Mix together the graham crumbs, sugar and hot melted butter. Press evenly into the bottom and sides of the
pie pan.
2 eight ounce packages
powdered sugarFor the filling
1. Remove 3 rounded tbsp of the icing sugar from the 1 cup you have measured. Add the 3 tbsp icing sugar to
the bowl of an electric mixer along with the vanilla extract and whipping cream. Beat together to firm peaks,
then transfer the whipped cream to a separate bowl.
2. Now add the remaining powdered sugar and the cream cheese to the electric mixer bowl and cream together
well until smooth and the cream cheese is well softened.
3. Add about 1/2 cup of the whipped cream to the softened cream cheese mixture and beat again until smooth.
(This step helps soften the cream cheese mixture a little more for the next step)
4. Finally fold in the remaining whipped cream by hand until smooth, using a rubber or silicone spatula.
5. Spread the filling evenly into the prepared crust and chill in the fridge.
6. When the cherry topping has cooled to room temperature, spoon it evenly over the filling and chill for several
hours before serving. If you have the time, make this cheesecake a day in advance to get the best set on the cheesecake filling.
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Jane, I am sure they will taste a lot better than the store beans. We had the canned potatoes mixed with maple bacon spice and done in the AF..oh my so good!!
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Dorito Chicken Casserole

Prep: 15 mins Cook: 35 mins Total: 50 mins Servings: 4 servings

There are many flavor options for Doritos—or similar corn chips—including ranch-flavored and spicy nacho cheese, so choose your family's favorite. Also, feel free to use a cheese blend instead of the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Round out the meal with a fresh green salad or side of steamed broccoli.

Ingredients

1 (7-ounce) bag Doritos, crushed (about 4 cups crushed), divided
2 to 3 cups diced cooked chicken
1 cup sour cream
1 (10 1/2-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup finely minced onion
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated sharp or mild cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Fresh parsley, for garnish

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients.

Heat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.

Cover the bottom of the casserole with half of the crushed Doritos, about 2 cups.

In a large bowl, combine the diced cooked chicken, sour cream, condensed soup, onion, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

Spoon the chicken mixture on top of the crushed Doritos in the casserole.

Sprinkle the remaining crushed chips over the chicken mixture and then top with the shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.

Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the topping is melted and lightly browned.

Serve and enjoy.

Tip

If you'd like to make the casserole ahead of time, blend the filling ingredients and refrigerate, and place the bottom layer of Doritos in the prepared dish and set aside. Assemble the casserole before you're ready to bake it; if the casserole is prepared and then refrigerated, the chips will become soggy.

Recipe Variations

Add a can of diced mild green chile peppers or a finely chopped jalapeno pepper to the chicken filling mixture.

Replace the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses with a Mexican blend or taco-seasoned shredded cheese.

Make the casserole with leftover turkey instead of chicken.

Add a few tablespoons of crumbled bacon to the chicken and sour cream mixture.

Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of finely chopped green or red bell pepper to the filling mixture.

Top the filling with a small can of drained sliced ripe olives before adding the crushed Dorito topping.

patricia19

Mini Flower Tarts Recipe

From eHow;

"Welcome the spring season with these charming mini flower tarts. Featuring flaky pie crust and homemade curd, this treat is both beautiful and delicious! Below, you'll find the steps to make lemon and strawberry curd from scratch. But if you're in a pinch, feel free to use store-bought curd or jam instead. Either way, your friends and family will adore these tiny tarts. They're perfect for Mother's Day, Easter, and baby showers."

Lemon Curd

Things You'll Need
Juice from 2 lemons
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed

Step 1
Add all the ingredients except the butter to a small saucepan.

Step 2
Cook over low heat, whisking constantly for 10 minutes. The constant whisking will prevent curdling.

Tip
Slightly increase the heat if the ingredients are not thickening. Make sure to keep whisking.

Step 3
Once the ingredients are thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, turn off the heat. Add the cubed butter and whisk until it melts.

Step 4
Pour the curd into a container and cover with an air-tight lid. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

Tip
Traditionally, people press plastic wrap onto the curd's surface to stop a film from forming. But if you don't have plastic wrap, or want a more eco-friendly approach, you can simply cover it with an air-tight lid. We didn't experience a noticeable film in our batch.

Strawberry Curd

Things You'll Need
1/2 pound strawberries, destemmed and sliced
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed

Step 1
In a blender or food processor, puree the strawberries until smooth.

Step 2
Add all the ingredients except the butter to a small saucepan.

Step 3
Cook over low heat, whisking constantly for 10 minutes. The constant whisking will prevent curdling.

Step 4
Once the ingredients are thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, turn off the heat. Add the cubed butter and whisk until it melts.

Step 5
Transfer to a container with an air-tight lid. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

Mini Flower Tarts

Things You'll Need
Lemon curd
Strawberry curd
2 pie crusts
3.5- to 4-inch flower cookie cutter
Powdered sugar
Mini muffin pans (see note below)

Tip
Depending on the size of your mini muffin pans, you may need more than one. You can use a 48-cup pan, two 24-cup pans, etc.

Step 1
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Roll out the pie crust onto a flat surface. Cut out as many flowers as possible.

Step 2
Re-roll the leftover pie crust into a thin sheet. Cut out more flowers. One pie crust should yield 7 to 8 flowers each.

Tip
Depending on how thin you re-roll the dough, the final flowers may end up smaller than the others. This creates a charming visual, but if you want the flowers to be around the same size, try to roll all the dough to the same thickness.

Step 3
In the mini muffin pan, place a flower in every other cup. Bring petals toward each other, place in the cup then gently press the center down.

Place flowers in muffin pan

Step 4
Repeat with the remaining flowers. With a fork, prick holes into the bottom of each flower.

Prick holes in pie crust flowers

Tip
If any of the flowers rip, fill in the holes with leftover pie dough.

Step 5
Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown and flaky.

Bake flowers

Step 6
Transfer to a cooling rack and let sit for 15 minutes. Place the powdered sugar in a mesh strainer and sprinkle onto the flowers.

Dust flowers with powdered sugar

Step 7
Once completely cooled, fill with lemon and/or strawberry curd.

Fill flowers with curd

Step 8
Repeat until all the flowers are filled. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for about a week. If you have leftover curd, enjoy it on baked goods or with yogurt.

patricia19

French Rouille Sauce

Prep: 15 mins Cook: 1 min Total: 16 mins Servings: 4 to 6 servings

French rouille sauce is a thick, bread-enriched sauce that gets much of its flavor and color from saffron. This beautiful, spicy garlic sauce goes well with cold steamed shrimp, and any fried fish or seafood, or as a sauce with firm grilled fish such as swordfish, sturgeon, or Pacific white sea bass. Perhaps the most notable pairing for rouille is with bouillabaisse, a famous French seafood soup; spoon a bit onto a piece of toasted bread and place it on top of the stew. You can enjoy the sauce at room temperature or cold.

This simple recipe calls for vinegar, saffron, white bread, garlic, egg yolks, chili powder, and olive oil. A few seconds in the microwave and a quick blend in the food processor will have you making authentic, delicious rouille in just minutes.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Pinch of saffron
2 to 3 slices white bread, crusts removed
3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 large egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup olive oil
Kosher salt, to taste
Steps to Make It
SHOW IMAGES
Gather the ingredients.

Heat the water, vinegar, and saffron in the microwave for 30 seconds. Mix well until you have a very yellow liquid.

Cut the white bread into chunks, place in a large bowl, and pour the saffron mixture over. Mix well.

Put the bread mixture in a food processor and add the garlic, egg yolks, and chili powder. Blend for about 30 seconds; scrape down the sides.

While slowly drizzling in the olive oil, blend on low power just until mixed. Season with salt.

Spoon the sauce, which should be like thick mayonnaise, into a bowl and serve immediately. You can also refrigerate until chilled if you prefer it cold.

Serve alongside fish and enjoy.

patricia19

Nigerian Jollof Rice with Beef

Prep: 15 mins Cook: 75 mins Total: 90 mins Servings: 4 to 6 servings

Jollof rice is the most popular rice across the Coast of West Africa. Spiced, red-orange it is street food, everyday lunch, Sunday rice, celebration food, and everything in between.

The rice grains are stewed and layered with flavor, but emerge at the end of cooking somewhat separate—the goal is more pilau than risotto. Converted or parboiled long grain rice works best because the parboiling process strengthens the grains so they cook in the sauce without breaking down and turning to mush.

Building the stew base is the most important step and involves cooking the tomatoes twice—first, you cook down the mix and reduce it, which blunts the raw edge of the tomatoes, onions, and peppers. Second, you create the stew—a fried, spiced base seasoned with curry powder, dried thyme, bay leaves, salt, and more.

Ingredients

3 medium-sized fresh plum or Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
3 small red onions, 1 sliced thinly and 2 roughly chopped; divided
1/4 of a scotch bonnet pepper, optional
2 1/2 to 3 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, beef, or water), divided
300 grams stewing cut beef
2 teaspoons curry powder (preferably a Caribbean blend), divided
2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
Salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup neutral oil, divided
3 small to medium dried bay leaves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
2 cups uncooked converted long-grain rice, rinsed
1/2 medium red onion, sliced, for garnish
1 plum tomato, sliced, for garnish

Steps to Make It

Gather the ingredients.

In a blender, combine the tomatoes, red bell pepper, chopped onions, and scotch bonnet (if using) with 1 1/2 cups of stock or water.

Blend until smooth, about 1 or 2 minutes. You should have roughly 4 to 5 cups of blended mix.

Transfer this mix to a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mixture is reduced by half. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Prepare the beef by seasoning with 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.

Set a separate large pot over medium heat, then add half of the oil. Once warm, add the beef and pan-fry for about 5 minutes, turning so all the sides brown evenly. Remove the pieces of beef, and set aside.

In the same pot you cooked the beef in, add the remaining oil. Once hot, add the sliced onions, 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the tomato paste and 1 teaspoon butter, stirring for another 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the reduced tomato-pepper mixture to the pot, then cover with a lid and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until reduced by half.

Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of stock or water to the cooked tomato sauce. Bring to boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking—salt and curry powder should be the most forward taste elements.

Add the rinsed rice and stir well so each grain is coated.

Add the beef and stir to combine. Cover with a double piece of foil or parchment paper. Place the lid on the pot—this will seal in the steam and lock in the flavor—then, reduce the heat to low and allow it to cook for 35 minutes.

Open the pot, stir the rice, and taste for seasoning. The rice should be cooked through and flavorful. If it isn't, allow to cook for another 5 minutes or until it is ready.

You can stir in sliced onions, tomatoes, and the remaining teaspoon of butter for additional flavor elements, if desired. Remove from heat and serve hot.

I had this at Dora and Alan's and enjoyed it. This is a slightly different recipe as they used moose and some veggies.

patricia19

Better Than Sex Cake (Robert Redford Cake)

Prep:
15 mins
Cook:
30 mins
Total:
45 mins
Servings:
12 to 16 servings

If you're making this cake for kids, call it a "Better Than Anything Cake!" Another name for the cake, Robert Redford Cake, probably dates back to the 1970s.

This is a popular, irresistible chocolate cake dessert with loads of chocolate, caramel topping, candy bars, and whipped topping.

Use your favorite chocolate cake recipe or bake a cake with a cake mix for this scrumptious dessert.

Ingredients

1 chocolate cake (baked in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan)
3/4 cup​ fudge topping (slightly warmed)
3/4 cup caramel topping (or butterscotch topping, slightly warmed)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
6 chocolate-covered toffee bars (or 1 1/3 cups of toffee and chocolate chips, such as a Heath Bar)
1 (8-ounce) tub of frozen whipped topping (thawed)

Gather the ingredients.

Bake the cake and leave it in the pan to cool slightly.

While the cake is still slightly warm, make holes in the entire top of the cake using the handle of a wooden spoon or a large fork.

One at a time, pour the fudge and caramel or butterscotch toppings and condensed milk over the top of the cake, letting each flavor soak in before adding the next.

Crush 3 of the toffee candy bars and sprinkle over the top, or sprinkle with chocolate and toffee pieces.

Frost the cake with the whipped topping.

Crush the 3 remaining toffee bars and sprinkle over the whipped topping.

Cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours, preferably overnight.

Amy

Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding

Using day old or leftover cinnamon rolls in cinnamon roll bread pudding results in one of the easiest and best versions of this classic comfort food dessert that you will ever try. Make it extra special with a generous drizzle of homemade caramel sauce.

5 to 6 cups cinnamon rolls, diced
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Pinch salt
Instructions
Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish well. Place the cinnamon roll cubes on an even layer into the greased baking dish.
Whisk together the remaining ingredients until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour the mixture evenly over the cinnamon roll cubes, pressing down slightly to make sure all the cubes are soaked.
Let stand for a half hour to for the custard to fully absorb.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes until the custard is set and no longer liquid in the center. Let the bread pudding stand for about 20 minutes before serving.
Serve with a generous drizzle of Homemade Caramel Sauce
Jimmy Dean

Amy

Both these recipes comes from The Rock Recipes..

Best Homemade Caramel Sauce

The best homemade caramel sauce uses only 4 quality ingredients to create one of the simplest but most luxuriant dessert sauces ever.

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup butter cut in small cubes
4 tbsp water
1 cup whipping cream
Instructions
Begin by mixing the sugar and water in a large saucepan. NOTE: I use a large saucepan of about 3 quarts or larger because the sugar foams up when you add the butter and cream so make sure you have a large enough pot.
Boil the sugar and water over medium heat until the mixture begins to turn a light to medium amber color. The real skill in making caramel sauce does come with experience and knowing the point at which the color is perfect. Good advice for beginners is that it is better to be a little too light in color rather than a little too dark because too dark a caramel can often taste a little burnt. It is very easy to burn this mixture which can happen very quickly once the proper color is achieved, so have your butter and cream at the ready, as timing is crucial for this recipe.
Do not stir the boiling sugar, this can cause it to crystallize. If you find the sugar starts to crystallize, use a pastry brush to brush water around the inside edge of the pot as it boils. You may have to do this several times. Carefully swirling the pan occasionally is also helpful to avoid crystallization of the sugar.
When the color is right, quickly add the butter and stir quickly until the butter is melted. Remove from the heat immediately and pour in the whipping cream, stirring constantly until the sauce is uniformly smooth. Cool completely. Store in an airtight plastic container or in a mason jar. This sauce is fantastic with almost any apple dessert or for great caramel sundaes.

otes
You will want to prepare the ingredients and have them at the ready. Timing is very important in a good caramel sauce, so having the butter and cream ready at the crucial point is critical to the success of your sauce. You will also want to be very careful when preparing caramel sauce; when the sugar syrup hits the right stage to add the butter and cream it will be over 300 degrees F so it is important to take particular care. It is also very important to use a proper sized pot. Although the recipe only makes about 2 cups, you will need a 2 1/2 to 3 quart/liter heavy bottomed saucepan because the sugar syrup will foam up considerably and produce a considerable amount of steam when the butter is added and again when the cream is added. These safety tips are not meant to deter, it's just good advice to make these sorts of things when you can take the time without distractions and give it your full attention. A successful caramel sauce is also one that has been given careful attention. With a little practice you will be a caramel ace in no time.

Jimmy Dean

Amy

This recipe is from Taste of Home and the rhubarb will soon be ready here..can be halved and put into a 6 or 9" pan.

Rhubarb Custard Bars.

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold butter
FILLING:
2 cups sugar
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
5 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
TOPPING:
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
Directions
1. In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, for filling, combine sugar and flour in a bowl. Whisk in cream and eggs. Stir in the rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° until custard is set, 40-45 minutes. Cool.
3. For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream. Spread over top. Cover and chill. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.

Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Amy, your rhubarb and custard bars sound good to me! I may try those with some apples I happen to have. I also think I may end up donating that second bag of apples.

Amy

Patricia,now you have me thinking of strawberries ,raspberries or blueberries! I would think they all would work in this.
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

They certainly would as rhubarb and custard are both good facilators.

Tomereader1

I had a recipe that I took from an on-line source, and had waited ages to make it.
It's Slow-Cooker Cranberry Chicken, and calls for Chicken thighs, Boneless/Skinless.
(you can use legs, just skinless). My delay was that the chicken thighs were so very pricey, and for me, cooking this for just one person, I couldn't deal with $8 to $10 for a package of thighs.  I finally got some on special this week, and almost literally jumped on cooking this up.  It only has 4 additional ingredients, in addition to the chicken, and I just knew I had all in my pantry.  Well, after late night searching, and today searching all shelves.  I only came up with one of the ingredients.  So a quick run to the store this morning.

Here's the recipe:
2 1/2 to 3 lbs, chicken thighs
1 16 oz can of Whole cranberry sauce (or equivalent if you have made your own)
2 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca (as a thickener)

I just knew that I had the cranberry sauce and the onion soup mix, but no joy there! Hence run to store.

Place chicken pieces in slow cooker.  In small bowl, mix together the cranberry sauce, dry soup mix and tapioca. Pour over chicken pieces.

Cook on low for 5-6 hours; or high heat 2 1/2 to 3 hours.  I did the high process.
My daughter was coming over for Mother's Day and wanted a quicker fix.  Serve the chicken and sauce over hot cooked rice.  Makes 6 servings.

This was absolutely yummy!  Daughter enjoyed it too.

patricia19

Thanks Joanne! It sounds both easy and good...that's if you've checked your cupboard :)

patricia19

Tasty Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

I used a large crockpot and half-pint jars.

Serves 30  Prep Time 20 minutes   Cook Time 7 to 8 hours on LOW

Ingredients

3 lbs fresh strawberries, chopped

2 lbs rhubarb chopped

1 Cup of sugar

1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon

Preparation

1. Layer half of the strawberries and rhubarb in the slow cooker.

2. Sprinkle half a cup of sugar over the fruit.

3. Place the rest of the strawberries and rhubarb on the sugar.

4. Sprinkle the remaining sugar and the cinnamon powder on top evenly.

5. Cover and cook for four hours on LOW.

6. Remove lid, stir the jam, and cook further for one hour on LOW with the lid off.  Continue cooking until you get your    desired consistency.

7. Mash the jam for chunky consistency, or use a blender for a smooth jam.

8. Serve this jam on toast, muffins, or with vanilla I've cream, yogurt, or pancakes.

patricia19

patricia19

DUTCH OVEN WHOLE ROAST CHICKEN

It uses only five ingredients (assuming you already have butter, salt, and pepper);
The flavor combination of lemon, garlic, and rosemary creates amazing flavor;
There is no waste– the lemon zest, juice, and rinds are used, as well as the onion, garlic, and rosemary scraps;

While it takes a while to roast in the oven, the prep time is only 10-15 minutes!
You can add potatoes to the bottom of the pan to cook and soak up all those delicious juices while the chicken roasts for an easy one-pot meal.

And the other thing? A whole roast chicken is a foolproof way to impress people. This recipe comes out gorgeous every time, and it's perfect for a dinner party or date but also easy enough to make for your family on a whim.

TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST WHOLE ROAST CHICKEN

Pat the chicken dry. This will help the skin crisp up to perfection.
Season the cavity. Add a LOT of salt and pepper inside, and stuff it with the lemon rinds, rosemary sprigs and stems, garlic scraps, and onion scraps. This will help keep it moist and flavor it from the inside out.

Add the butter mixture under AND over the breast skin. Use your hands for this (then give them a good wash). It's important to spread the mixture liberally over the entire chicken (every nook and cranny).

In addition, separate the skin from the top of the breast and spread some of the butter underneath, being careful not to tear the skin (intact skin helps the meat stay moist since it keeps the juices in). This creates extra crispy skin and helps flavor the meat better.

Truss the chicken. Not in a complicated way- I just tie the legs tightly together using kitchen twine. This helps keep everything nice and neat and compact for even, consistent cooking. If the legs splay out too much, they will cook too quickly, causing them to become dry.

Roast high, then low. Roast the chicken at 475 for 15 minutes- this gets the crispy skin process going. Then, turn the heat down and roast at 350 for approximately 20 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees (stick a meat thermometer  into the thickest part of the breast as far as it will go, then retract it just a little so it's not touching the bone. It won't read accurately if it is touching a bone)

Let it sit for at least 10 minutes when it's done. This will ensure that a) the chicken isn't too hot to handle when you carve it, and b) that the juices have a chance to redistribute. If you cut into it too quickly, the juices will escape too fast and the chicken will become dry.

Here are some tips for roasting a whole chicken in your dutch oven:

Layer onions and potatoes (or another root veggie) on the bottom so you have a complete meal. The veggies will soak up all the juices as it cooks.

Keep the cover off when roasting. If the skin browns too quickly on top, you can place the cover on ajar on top to help avoid direct hot heat, or tent it with foil if the cover doesn't fit/the chicken is too tall.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A DUTCH OVEN...
You can easily make this recipe in a large casserole dish or roasting pan using the same method!

Or, you can use your slow cooker. Just keep in mind, you won't have any crispy skin if you do this. Slather the chicken in the butter mixture, and set on top of onions (and potatoes, if you want) in your slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high.

DON'T THROW THE CHICKEN BONES/CARCASS OUT!
Make homemade chicken stock with them. Just store the carcass/bones in your freezer in an airtight bag or container until you're ready to make it!

Basic recipe follows in next post.